Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

NYT: We're all ignoramuses about the origin of Thanksgiving

Here's the real story, or as close as they can get to it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 25, 2021 4:32 PM

Paywalled article

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2021 11:11 PM

I've reached my limit of free NYT articles so I guess I'll just feed my face in ignorance on Thursday

by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2021 11:17 PM

yes, thanks for...nothing, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3November 24, 2021 12:18 AM

Well you could subscribe.

by Anonymousreply 4November 24, 2021 12:37 AM

Well, we don't, so stop cockteasing the content, pimp.

by Anonymousreply 5November 24, 2021 12:40 AM

Does anyone care what some idiot published in the Times? I’ll believe everything I’ve learned in school and read on my own over one opinion piece that does not even list references.

by Anonymousreply 6November 24, 2021 12:42 AM

Just clear the data, history, and cache on your phone or computer and it will open tight up. Like it has fir the past 20 years

by Anonymousreply 7November 24, 2021 12:43 AM

^^right up^^

by Anonymousreply 8November 24, 2021 12:44 AM

R7 maybe o don’t want to delete my history. The OP could show some common courtesy and copy and paste the article if he wants to engage in discussion. Otherwise stop posting paywalled content.

by Anonymousreply 9November 24, 2021 12:55 AM

One of you bitches has to have a subscription! Copy and paste please. Sadly, I only subscribe to NYT cooking.

by Anonymousreply 10November 24, 2021 1:08 AM

Oh FFS ladies. Is anyone here under 60?

Highlights:

It’s been taught that the Pilgrims came because they were seeking religious freedom, but that’s not entirely true, Mr. Loewen said. The Pilgrims had religious freedom in Holland, where they first arrived in the early 17th century. Like those who settled Jamestown, Va., in 1607, the Pilgrims came to North America to make money, Mr. Loewen said.

“They were also coming here in order to establish a religious theocracy, which they did,” he said. “That’s not exactly the same as coming here for religious freedom. It’s kind of coming here against religious freedom.”

Also, the Pilgrims never called themselves Pilgrims. They were separatists, Mr. Loewen said. The term Pilgrims didn’t surface until around 1880. There’s no evidence that native people were invited.

Possibly the most common misconception is that the Pilgrims extended an invitation to the Native Americans for helping them reap the harvest. The truth of how they all ended up feasting together is unknown.

“The English-written record does not mention an invitation, and Wampanoag oral tradition does not seem to reach back to this event,” Ms. Sheehan said. But there are reasons the Wampanoag leader could have been there, she said, adding: “His people had been planting on the other side of the brook from the colony. Another possibility is that after his harvest was gathered, he was making diplomatic calls.”

There was no mention of turkey being at the 1621 bounty, and there was no pie. Settlers lacked butter and wheat flour for a crust, and they had no oven for baking. What is known is that the Pilgrims harvested crops and that the Wampanoag brought five deer. “There are primary source writings about wild turkey being abundant in the area that fall, yet they do not specifically mention if they were at the First Thanksgiving,” said Tom Begley, executive assistant at Plimoth Plantation.

Experts agree, though, that there was certainly some wild fowl — possibly goose, duck or turkey — served along with the venison brought by the native men, he said, as those are the only food items explicitly mentioned. “However, there is no direct evidence proving that turkey was in fact served,” he said.

The menu may have also included cornmeal, pumpkin, succotash and cranberries. There were no sweet potatoes in North America at the time. Contrary to popular depictions, there were about 90 native people in attendance, almost double the number of Pilgrims by some accounts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 24, 2021 1:13 AM

After all that, Zzzzzzzzzzz.....

by Anonymousreply 12November 24, 2021 2:20 AM

[bold] Greg's Tip of the Day [/bold]

All you have to do is Google, "Everything You Learned About Thanksgiving is Wrong" and then the article will pop up without a paywall.

You're welcome!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

by Anonymousreply 13November 24, 2021 1:57 PM

[quote] Oh FFS ladies. Is anyone here under 60?

No, but most of us don't care to give another dollar to the increasingly conservative NYT.

Fuck Maureen Dowd, Bret Stephens and a long list of others.

by Anonymousreply 14November 24, 2021 2:00 PM

NYT, oh let me guess: It was created as a day for white people to celebrate their supremacy to obscure the true reasons America was founded on the backs of BIPOC and women.

by Anonymousreply 15November 24, 2021 2:13 PM

They do the same article every fucking year.

by Anonymousreply 16November 24, 2021 2:18 PM

This reminds me of that South Park episode in which they make fun of the History channel, the first Thor movie and Natalie Portman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 24, 2021 3:34 PM

It never ceases to amaze me how helpless DLers are when it comes to accessing articles behind paywalls.

by Anonymousreply 18November 24, 2021 4:27 PM

Lemme guess....systemic racism....white suoremecy. Followed by mass incarceration. Plymouth rick was red lined. There were slaves, of course. The indigenous people were noble and advanced and vegan until oppressed by the evil white Christians.

by Anonymousreply 19November 24, 2021 4:38 PM

This thread EXHAUSTS me.

by Anonymousreply 20November 24, 2021 4:39 PM

[quote] It never ceases to amaze me how helpless DLers are when it comes to accessing articles behind paywalls.

Not I!

by Anonymousreply 21November 24, 2021 4:45 PM

"It’s been taught that the Pilgrims came because they were seeking religious freedom, but that’s not entirely true, Mr. Loewen said.

The Pilgrims had religious freedom in Holland, where they first arrived in the early 17th century. Like those who settled Jamestown, Va., in 1607, the Pilgrims came to North America to make money, Mr. Loewen said.

“They were also coming here in order to establish a religious theocracy, which they did,” he said. “That’s not exactly the same as coming here for religious freedom. It’s kind of coming here against religious freedom.”

by Anonymousreply 22November 24, 2021 4:47 PM

No evidence Indians were invited. No evidence turkey was served. Pilgrim men didn't wear those large black hats with buckles--those were added by an artist later.

by Anonymousreply 23November 24, 2021 4:49 PM

Well, I'm convinced. Out with the traditional tough old bird, I'm going online to purchase five freshly slaughtered white tailed deer. Did you say cornmeal? Shall I just sprinkle it over the venison?

by Anonymousreply 24November 24, 2021 4:50 PM

i LOVE succotash!!!!!

great as salsa too.

by Anonymousreply 25November 24, 2021 4:52 PM

Turkey tastes terrible anyway. Why is this a tradition???

by Anonymousreply 26November 24, 2021 4:56 PM

R20 I'm exhausted just thinking about you crushing my soul and my dreams all day tomorrow.

You're already hangry today!

by Anonymousreply 27November 24, 2021 5:33 PM

I'm going to guess it involved a Black Tranny hunting the first turkey.

by Anonymousreply 28November 24, 2021 5:38 PM

The pilgrims were the Christian version of orthodox jews.

by Anonymousreply 29November 24, 2021 5:56 PM

sorry capitalization was because of laziness not preference

by Anonymousreply 30November 24, 2021 5:56 PM

Is when they exchange turkey for blankets.

by Anonymousreply 31November 24, 2021 7:34 PM

R18 it’s not helplessness to not want to go to the effort of accessing an article behind a paywall, it’s fucking laziness of the OP to not post the very article he is trying to engage people with.

by Anonymousreply 32November 25, 2021 2:51 PM

Someone's cranky today

by Anonymousreply 33November 25, 2021 3:19 PM

Remember to include a land acknowledgment and your thoughts on decolonizing your holiday, particularly the menu... Bon Appetite!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 25, 2021 4:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!