Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A different perspective on the Rittenhouse case

Let me start by saying that I strongly believe that NONE of this would have happened if therewere strict gun controls in place, which have resulted in the ultimate death of two people - that is a terrible tragedy regardless of the sort of people that Joseph Rosenbaum and Anthony Huber were.

Still, things don't seem to be so cut-and-dry. So, let's discuss this and how the media represented the case from the beginning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 28, 2021 6:27 PM

Here is Matt taibbi's take on the case.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2021 10:28 PM

Seems completely cut and dried to me. A homicidal teenager drove to the scene of a BLM protest with the intention of murdering people and did so. Not unexpectedly, an assortment of right wing fanatics adopted him as their poster child, much as they did with George Zimmerman years ago, and the local criminal justice system complied happily with their wish to find him not guilty. Not that complicated really.

by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2021 10:37 PM

Matt Taibbi? Was Glenn Greenwald not available? I want the original, not the most basic, bargain basement knock off.

by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2021 11:41 PM

Your wish is my command, R3. Still, matt Taibbi is a brilliant journalist whether you like what he writes or you don't.

R2, that is the official version that will lead to very serious lawsuits against pseudo-leftist, pro-neoliberal media outlets that are desperate to maintain their audience in order to create a very specific narrative. I think that it is EXTREMELY unfortunate that Rittenhouse has been lumped in with the repulsive George Zimmermann and claimed by the far right, but this case is completely different. Watch the video before barking, in short.

Also, I am TIRED of people saying that the likes of Jimmy Dore, Matt Orfalea, Kim Iversen, THE Glenn Greenwald, Briahna Joy Gray, Max Blumenthal, Aaron Maté, Ben Norton, Matt Taibbi, Katie Halper, Krystal Ball and many more are covert right wingers. THAT IS FALSE. They are simply critical of the Democratic party's hypocrisy and shameless, corrupt corporatism - why do you think that the dishonest bastard named Bernie Sanders and the narcissistic, professional poseurs of the Fraud Squad were so popular and received so much support? Because they constantly talked about their support for Left Wing policies that they have rapidly betrayed as soon as they've reached power.

Anyway, the Kyle Rittenhouse case is very complex. He shouldn't have been there that day, but there is ample evidence that he was helping people and only shot Joseph Rosenbaum, Anthony Huber and that Gaige Grosskreutz because he was being physically attacked. The fact that people were shot is a tragedy and ity is true that Rittenhouse was probably not shot by police because he is white, but that doesn't mean that he went to Kenosha (where he worked and had both family and friends) witht he specific purpose of murdering innocent people.

Again, watch the videos and read the articles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 24, 2021 1:11 AM

[quote]I think that it is EXTREMELY unfortunate that Rittenhouse has been lumped in with the repulsive George Zimmermann and claimed by the far right, but this case is completely different.

Not completely

by Anonymousreply 5November 24, 2021 1:15 AM

He went there to hunt coons.

by Anonymousreply 6November 24, 2021 1:20 AM

[quote] Your wish is my command, [R3]. Still, matt Taibbi is a brilliant journalist whether you like what he writes or you don't.

Mother Russia sure appreciates it.

by Anonymousreply 7November 24, 2021 1:22 AM

OP = George Zimmerman

by Anonymousreply 8November 24, 2021 1:23 AM

How so, R5? George Zimmermann deliberately set out to stalk, physically assault and murder a child, just because he was black. if he had "concerns", he ought to have called the police instead of brutalizing a 14-year-old boy for no other reason than his skin colour. Also, his family were repulsive and his mother in particular, who is the furthest there is from a North European, was rabidly racist. That is not Rittenhouse's case.

Rittenhouse shouldn't have been there, but he was interviewed twice prior to the tragic events, and he clearly stated that he carried a weapon to defend himself while he trie to provide medical assistance to the injured. He also worked as a lifeguard in Kenosha, several of his relatives live there and he lives 20 minutes away by car. He didn't go there to hunt anyone, although I must repeat: he shouldn't have been there at all.

He put out a fire in a car dealership and then the police prevented him from going back to the original car park where he had been standing. So he went elsewhere and was attacked three times - the first time, Rosenbaum threatened to kill him and as he was running away, he heard Joshua Ziminski shoot - then Rosenbaum lunged at him, and he shot him.

This is an AWFUL situation, but neither Rosenbaum nor many of the people who were there, were activists, but opportunity rioters. I have repeated several times that I think that the situation is terrible and two people have died, while one was gravely injured. Still, that doesn't change the objective truth of events that have been recorded by dozens of people, and for which there is ample evidence.

Again, this case is completely different from George Zimmerman's. Also, R7, go fuck yourself. Not everyone who disagrees with you is a Russian bot. Moreover, Garland Nixon, a black Criminal Justice professor and equal rights activist who has received awards by the American Civil Liberties Union, analyzes the case brilliantly in the link below - he agrees that Rittenhouse is NOT guilty. What do you have to say about that?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 24, 2021 1:34 AM

Are you gonna shill your alt-right-adjacent musings here, OP/R1/R4/R9? Go die in a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 10November 24, 2021 1:42 AM

Gay right wingers make me physically sick

by Anonymousreply 11November 24, 2021 1:48 AM

What do you all make of Douglas Murray’s appraisal? I haven’t seen such a measured analysis in any US media. It seems too close and hysterical to assess it neutrally.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 26, 2021 11:58 AM

In the TV show Timeless, Rittenhouse was the evil conglomerate that ran the shadow government and manipulated history, this makes me think it was all real.

by Anonymousreply 13November 26, 2021 12:08 PM

Thanks forrr The Spectator article. It’s an opinion piece not a factual account but still worthwhile.I agree when he says its’s not the crime but who commits it. White man committing crime … very, very bad. Fortunately for Rittenhouse, he only killed white men. If they’d been black, he’d be in Jail for life or Kenosha would be on fire again. KR is a terrible white supremist though. While there were black men in the crowd around him, he only shot the white guys.

I’m currently amazed at all the rejoicing over the Georgia verdict. You’d think white supremists were mowing black people down daily. Philadelphia just hit 500 murders this year. That’s the biggest number in 30 years. Many of the victims were black. How many were killed by white supremists or even a white person? On the flip side, a black man who drives into a crowd killing 6 people is a 2 day story with a focus on cars used as weapons. Its fucking ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 14November 26, 2021 12:22 PM

R12 - that analysis is still incredibly biased.

by Anonymousreply 15November 26, 2021 12:31 PM

In what way is it biased?

by Anonymousreply 16November 26, 2021 12:53 PM

Am interested to know if there's any statement or fact in the Murray article which is incorrect.

by Anonymousreply 17November 26, 2021 12:55 PM

[quote] Also, I am TIRED of people saying that the likes of Jimmy Dore, Matt Orfalea, Kim Iversen, THE Glenn Greenwald, Briahna Joy Gray, Max Blumenthal, Aaron Maté, Ben Norton, Matt Taibbi, Katie Halper, Krystal Ball and many more are covert right wingers.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 18November 26, 2021 12:57 PM

For one, R16, did he need to bring up the fact that the guy Rittenhouse shot was a pedo? Does that fact really matter? It’s thrown in to legitimize his death. I’m not defending him being a pedo, so let’s not go there, but this fact keeps being brought up, seemingly to make him less worthy of being alive.

by Anonymousreply 19November 26, 2021 12:59 PM

Murray stated that the jury agreed that it was an act of self defense, and then stated that, as it happened, the victims had records. I see nothing wrong or distortinary about that.

by Anonymousreply 20November 26, 2021 1:09 PM

A black man did attack KR but backed off when he pointed the gun. Rosenbaum was definitely mentally ill. The whole incident would have been avoided if no one had a gun. But in the US that’s not going to happen,

by Anonymousreply 21November 26, 2021 1:11 PM

If Murdering Kyle shot in self-defense, it doesn’t matter whether his victims had records or not, because Murdering Kyle didn’t know that at the time. Writers who insert that are signaling they know the case for self-defense is weak, trying to get the audience to discount the value of Murdering Kyle’s victim’s lives.

by Anonymousreply 22November 26, 2021 1:12 PM

No background on the men killed were allowed at the trial. The case for self defense didn’t need it. Both guys shot were aggressively attacking an armed man. I think both were mentally ill and their criminal histories kind of confirm it. Anyone who backed off from Rittenhouse or put their hands up was not shot.

by Anonymousreply 23November 26, 2021 1:16 PM

..was..

by Anonymousreply 24November 26, 2021 1:17 PM

[quote] Anyone who backed off from Rittenhouse or put their hands up was not shot.

The Rittenhouse defenders don’t seem to realize it’s this attitude that is coming across as outrageously stupid and dangerous to normal-thinking people. This punk kid had ZERO AUTHORITY. He is not a police officer. He is not a prosecutor + judge. There was no reason why anyone is required to comply with his wishes or demands. He forced that compliance through the brute force weapon he held. That is counter to how the law operates in this country, it’s banana-republic style behavior.

by Anonymousreply 25November 26, 2021 1:24 PM

Matt Taibbi - pedo (compromised fucking underage girls in Russia) bought and paid by Putin.

Next.

by Anonymousreply 26November 26, 2021 1:28 PM

The trial showed an extraordinarily biased judge that displayed open contempt for the prosecutors. That had an impact on the jurors in some way. Whether it would have changed the outcome of the trail, the powers that be, should have removed him early or prior when he started the "no victims" declaration.

In contrast, the judge in the Brunswick, Georgia trial, was totally professional, and did not make himself the center of attention, and did not show inappropriate antics.

by Anonymousreply 27November 26, 2021 1:32 PM

[quote]This punk kid had ZERO AUTHORITY.

Your argument in nonsensical word salad. Under the Second Amendment, he has the right to bear arms and defend himself, which he was doing.

by Anonymousreply 28November 26, 2021 5:06 PM

R28 Which is why we live in a backwards society. Bratty teenagers should not have the right to bear arms.

by Anonymousreply 29November 26, 2021 5:11 PM

Rittenhouse was acting on the script learned from the militarized police and the right-wing gun fetishists (i.e., most right wingers). According to that, a gun gives you authority and anyone who disobeys or resists deserves to have the situation escalated and turned into a shooting situation. You turn your own aggression and fear into a "stand your ground," "self-defense" situation. And then you kill people and get away with it, because it's your Second Amendment right.

by Anonymousreply 30November 26, 2021 5:17 PM

Teenagers are impulsive, they have mood fluctuations because of hormones, think they are invincible and don't consider the consequences. Teen boys have the burden of testosterone too which makes them aggressive. So, why should they have guns? It's enough they can drive cars. Young male teens have a higher cost of car insurance for a reason. Kyle should have been asleep in his bed not going to a BLM protest which are hotbeds for violence and disorder.

The Second Amendment has been abused by psychopaths to justify killings. And we need to stop pretending, anyone in this country could bear arms historically. That private property and self-defense excuse was created to protect white male supremacy. Women and people of color certainly could not go into a shop and get a gun because that would mean they could fight back. NRA and GOP are good at revising history and spreading propaganda. Moral relativism is their selling point.

by Anonymousreply 31November 26, 2021 5:20 PM

At least people like Tucker Carlson have the balls to say what they are unlike Tabbi and Greenwald who are covert spooks lobbying the American people on behalf of foreign despots.

It doesn’t matter if they were brilliant journalists at one time because now they are traitors. If they are even Americans.

by Anonymousreply 32November 26, 2021 5:20 PM

In this fucked up country Tamir Rice, 10, couldn't play with a toy gun without ending up killed by cops, but Kyle Townhouse, 17, could kill 2 and maime 1 with a real gun and walk free with a hi five from cops.

by Anonymousreply 33November 28, 2021 6:01 PM

[quote] If Murdering Kyle shot in self-defense, it doesn’t matter whether his victims had records or not, because Murdering Kyle didn’t know that at the time. Writers who insert that are signaling they know the case for self-defense is weak, trying to get the audience to discount the value of Murdering Kyle’s victim’s lives.

If people are concluding that Kyle was guilty because he flashed an "OK" symbol, I think the fact that a convicted pedophile who sodomized half a dozen boys (that we know of) was threatening a minor shows intent to cause harm. Not that the video evidence doesn't speak for itself in this particular case, but it's relevant.

by Anonymousreply 34November 28, 2021 6:22 PM

Kyle would have not been given a fair trial if the video evidence didn't exist. The prosecutors did everything they could to suppress that evidence. That should spark real outrage but instead the media continues to lie about this case even after the jury reached a fair verdict. Kyle even expressed sympathy for those, including POC, who are railroaded by dirty prosecutors. The reaction from the ACLU has been embarrassing to say the least.

[quote] Let me start by saying that I strongly believe that NONE of this would have happened if therewere strict gun controls in place

I hate to disagree with you, but none of this would have happened if the police were not ordered to stand down and were enforcing curfews. This would have never happened if the media hadn't lied and fanned the flames regarding Jacob Blake. The type of firearm Kyle had was legal.

by Anonymousreply 35November 28, 2021 6:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!