Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jury Holds Walmart, CVS, Walgreens Liable In Opioid Distribution

It's not my fault I'm a junkie, the corporations are supposed to be monitoring me so I don't get addicted or OD.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129November 30, 2021 1:21 PM

You're not supposed to deep throat the boot, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2021 6:38 PM

How can any pharmacy be at fault? They are simply filling the doctors prescriptions.

How about blaming the corrupt rich bastards who own the opioid and other drug companies?

How about also blaming the doctors? You just know they receive massive kickbacks when they push any drug Big Pharma asks them to distribute for 'free' to their patients in the form of samples and then end up prescribing.

by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2021 6:40 PM

Not sure if this is mentioned in the article:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2021 6:42 PM

I'm sure the verdict will be overturned. Big Pharma, with its billions in capital, as well as its Lobby in Washington, D.C., doesn't like its wrist to be slapped by some stupid old judge.

by Anonymousreply 4November 23, 2021 6:47 PM

American fattards blame everyone else but themselves for every wrong in their fat lives.

by Anonymousreply 5November 23, 2021 6:50 PM

[quote]In 2008, one wholesaler provided 5,624 pills for every man, woman and child in Kermit, W. Va.

"Jasper, sweetie, Ah put an extry Oxy in yer lunch so yew'd have somethin' to share at school!"

by Anonymousreply 6November 23, 2021 6:57 PM

[quote]How can any pharmacy be at fault? They are simply filling the doctors prescriptions.

So they have nit liability for the products they dispense?

Why are you so hellbent to defend corporations? Do you own one?

by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2021 7:11 PM

R7, are you an addict? There are two people involved that can be held liable for this...the doctor and the patient. Where do you want it to stop if it doesn't stop at the doctor prescribing it? Is the pharmacy tech who filled the doctor's orders liable? How about the electronic prescription software developers? The pen manufacturers? The pharmacy pad paper distributors? The lumberjacks who cut the wood that was turned into the paper to make the prescription pad?

It's a ridiculous ruling.

by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2021 7:21 PM

r8 conveniently ignores stats like those presented at r3

by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2021 7:22 PM

[quote] How can any pharmacy be at fault? They are simply filling the doctors prescriptions.

Pharmacists aren't supposed to blindly dispense medicines based on whatever the doctor prescribes. In fact, they claim they check for potential side effects if two noncompatible drugs are prescribed together. They are supposed to be the final wall in making sure the patients are safe.

They, however, make huge profits on the drugs they sell so the incentive is to dispense whatever the doctor prescribes.

by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2021 7:28 PM

[quote] There are two people involved that can be held liable for this...the doctor and the patient.

According to your original logic about pharmacists not being liable, patients shouldn't be liable either. The doc prescribe it, so it's okay, right?

by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2021 7:29 PM

R5, what about the responsibilities of big corporations? Freepers think responsibilities only apply to the little guys

by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2021 7:30 PM

Drug Distributors Shipped 20.8 Million Painkillers To West Virginia Town Of 3,000.

Now tell me pharmacies shouldn't be held liable.

by Anonymousreply 13November 23, 2021 7:30 PM

I fell last Thursday and sustained a concussion and compression fracture on my T-3 vertebrae. They gave me a Tylenol and sent me home. I’m supposed to take Tylenol for the pain which does nothing.

by Anonymousreply 14November 23, 2021 7:32 PM

R9, unless someone was stealing them and not using them to fulfill legitimate prescriptions from doctors, it's still the doctor's and patient's responsibility. Pharmacies are liable if they don't fulfill legitimate prescriptions.

R10, looking for drug interactions is so far from having anything to do with this that it's just another ridiculous statement.

R11, I agree unless the patients were drug-seeking across multiple doctors and pharmacies.

Why does everyone want to always let the addict off the hook? R14, thank a coddled addict for your suffering.

by Anonymousreply 15November 23, 2021 7:34 PM

Pharmacists are not off the street retail clerks. They are trained medical professionals which a lot of people don't seem to realize. They go to specialized school for that and you know in the old days that's who you would talk to first before going to the doctor. So they are in fact supposed to be a gatekeeper of sorts if they see someone is ordering an unusual amount of any type of drug. Sort of like a bartender serving someone one who is knowingly over his limit and then the customer goes out and kills someone on the road. They share some responsibility in the eyes of the law. That said, Doctors are the main problem handing out pills like candy.

by Anonymousreply 16November 23, 2021 7:37 PM

[quote] They are trained medical professionals which a lot of people don't seem to realize. They go to specialized school for that

If the man really knew what he was doing, he'd be a doctor instead of just dressing like one.

by Anonymousreply 17November 23, 2021 7:43 PM

I have no problem with this. Some of you must not get the endless refill notifications even when you opt-out. Places like CVS are absolutely pushers.

by Anonymousreply 18November 23, 2021 7:44 PM

I think these juries just side with individuals because they figure the big guys can handle it. Because evets to get the big guy.

I am so damned sick of this opioid thing because I need them to survive. When I ran short a few weeks ago because I was having a bad bout my Dr. refused to refill for 8 days. No one will ever know how much I suffered those days, not from any withdrawal because I am not addicted, but the pain. If I had had the strength I would have gone out and bought a gun to put myself out of my misery. This whole thing is really hurting those that need it. I blame the pharmaceutical companies for their lies and those who do not take any care to not become addicted. By this time every man, woman, child and baby knows they are addictive if they do not monitor themselves.

by Anonymousreply 19November 23, 2021 7:46 PM

[quote]Pharmacies are liable if they don't fulfill legitimate prescriptions.

And also liable for fulfilling illegitimate ones.

The amount of prescriptions per capita is glaringly overabundant.

by Anonymousreply 20November 23, 2021 7:51 PM

Big Pharma does bear some of the blame for the opioid crisis. There are multiple documentaries and articles about it. Maybe people like R5 and R8 should educate themselves.

by Anonymousreply 21November 23, 2021 7:57 PM

[quote] Pharmacists are not off the street retail clerks.

R15 thinks they should be treated like retail clerks.

Look, when you are making huge profits selling drugs. you also have huge responsibilities. This ruling against pharmacies is exactly right. You're not just a pass through.

by Anonymousreply 22November 23, 2021 8:00 PM

[quote] I fell last Thursday and sustained a concussion and compression fracture on my T-3 vertebrae. They gave me a Tylenol and sent me home. I’m supposed to take Tylenol for the pain which does nothing.

Or you could have an opioid and be addicted for life...a short life!

by Anonymousreply 23November 23, 2021 8:02 PM

[quote] When I ran short a few weeks ago....

Addict

by Anonymousreply 24November 23, 2021 8:03 PM

[quote] Why does everyone want to always let the addict off the hook?

Why do we let cancer victims, heart attack sufferers, etc off the hook?

Being an addict isn't a moral choice, especially when a doctor prescribes the original pill. The pills caused opioid addiction. The patients didn't seek out becoming addicted.

by Anonymousreply 25November 23, 2021 8:05 PM

Lawyers will get a big cut from whatever the pharmacies pay. If there were no money in it for the lawyers, there would be no case.

by Anonymousreply 26November 23, 2021 8:05 PM

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

by Anonymousreply 27November 23, 2021 8:09 PM

I don’t want pharmacists withholding prescriptions if they feel it’s immoral. Like PreP or Plan B or what have you. If they feel a doctor is over-prescribing (and their opinion carries some weight, IMO), there are ways to open an inquiry.

by Anonymousreply 28November 23, 2021 8:10 PM

R18 must be an..... ADDICT!!!!111!!12@12!!

by Anonymousreply 29November 23, 2021 8:26 PM

R8 wants to blame this entirely on individuals while defending corporations to the hilt.

Says a lot.

by Anonymousreply 30November 23, 2021 8:27 PM

I completely agree with R18. I take two meds for high blood pressure, and before I am even halfway through a vial CVS is bugging me if I need another refill. If they are as accommodating with dangerous narcotics, it's no wonder there are so many junkie Americans

by Anonymousreply 31November 23, 2021 8:50 PM

[quote]If they are as accommodating with dangerous narcotics

they aren't. the Dr. has to call in every refill.

r24 you're an idiot. I think I know better than you if I am an addict or not. Maybe someday you will be able to suffer the pain I suffered. I was without pain medication for 10 days. I had no withdrawal only the physical pain that I have been suffering with for the last 4 years. I was married to an addict for 23 years. I saw what he went thru to get off the stuff. I monitor what I take along with my Dr.

Idiot

by Anonymousreply 32November 23, 2021 9:04 PM

[R16], I wanted to add to your claim that doctors hand out pills like candy. In November 1999 I went to my PCP and asked to be prescribed Zoloft. He also prescribed Alprazolam, which is Xanax. He didn't ask me if I ever had problems with addiction, or was I taking any other benzo. He didn't tell me that Xanax is hella habit forming and even more of a nightmare to stop taking.

I recognized the football shaped tablets right away. It still blows me away this was done so cavalierly. In 2007, I asked him to prescribe 4 each .5 mg Xanax for a round trip flight I was taking. He wanted to see me first. I just ordered them online. I have so little faith in doctors in particular and the medical profession in general now, due to this and other experiences over the past twenty years.

by Anonymousreply 33November 23, 2021 9:13 PM

Is anyone here on a “controlled substance”? I am and it’s the only thing that works for me. It’s a constant battle getting my meds. And don’t ask for it one day early if you’re traveling! I have to plan my trips around script dates. All because of assholes who’ve abused the system.

by Anonymousreply 34November 23, 2021 9:17 PM

At what point do the addicts assume responsibility?

Fat people are called out on their shit. Drunks are called out on theirs. Same for sex addicts. And yet, EVERYONE is guilty of the addiction indulged in by addicts, except addicts themselves.

Why do drug addicts get so many chances, and are always absolved of responsibility? If you’ve gone through rehab more than twice and are STILL getting fucked up, the problem is you, not the drug. And you’re an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 35November 23, 2021 9:23 PM

Well here's what bothers me. Most of prescriptions for the last ten years have been electronically sent to the pharmacies. And it just goes beep, boop through the computers and checks for adverse reactions. The pharmacists just get told by the computer to fill x for y. The days of going home with prescriptions is pretty much over. Now ask me did the bigwigs at CVS, Walgreens and such know sure they did but the profit motive means they just didn't care.

by Anonymousreply 36November 23, 2021 9:31 PM

[quote]the Dr. has to call in every refill.

Doctors don't call in "every refill." Prescriptions specify the number of refills. If the prescription was for 3 refills, the pharmacy is authorized to make them from the original script without the doctor being involved again. You're confusing the new script that doctors authorize after the refills run out for each refill, which is incorrect.

Besides, the point (that you missed) is that CVS is prompting the customer to get refills before their existing supply has been used up. It's a dangerous assumption that everyone with access to refills should take every refill, and early, no less. It clearly promotes dependancy.

They'd never let me on this jury.

by Anonymousreply 37November 23, 2021 10:00 PM

hasn't it come to the point were everyone just needs to take responsibility for themselves? how much more can they tell us/teach us that they haven't already?

No one goes home with opioids anymore without complete explanation. I had to sign papers and agree to, be tested to make sure I was taking them and not selling them, that I would not ask for more than a certain amount a month, etc. etc. If people are too stupid to understand that then they need family or friends to explain it to them until they do understand.

We have blamed everyone we could for this problem so now it is only left to blame oneself if they end up in trouble with the drugs. I knew someone that had the same pain problems as myself. I don't know if he was getting opioids or not. I do know that the pain was so bad that he shot and killed himself last April. This was not the way I wanted to go. I have been to 9 Dr.'s for my problem and not one of them has been able to tell me why or how to fix it. I spend hours trying to find solutions to my problems. Some I have found on my own have helped, some have not. I am proactive in trying to heal myself so isn't like I am sitting here waiting for my next opioid refill. I had a physical therapist tell me today that I have probably done permanent damage to my muscles from all the heat I have used and my skin is discolored where I use them. She told me I shouldn't use heat for more than 10-15min at a time and then wait an hour. I have been using them nonstop all my waking hours. Not one Dr. told me any of this. I've been to 3 primary care physicians, 2 pain Dr.s one of which is also an Orthopedic surgeon, 3 other Orthopedic Surgeons, and a Dr. that I can't remember her title. So I usually take one pill a day. When it gets bad I take two. In the four years I have been taking them I had one day where I took three in one day. I get a 30 day supply per month. I'm 72 and have never had a desire to become an addict either. I never used drugs and never drank alcohol. But I still have to fight sometimes for the medication because the restrictions get tighter and tighter.

by Anonymousreply 38November 23, 2021 10:03 PM

When I go to pick up a prescription for one of my elderly parents (*A* prescription), they try to hand me like four others that I never actually called in for a refill. And I keep telling them "I opted-out and I never called in for these refills. Why do you refill prescriptions I didn't call in?" And the answer is like that "Little Britain" sketch: "Computer says..."

by Anonymousreply 39November 23, 2021 10:06 PM

I'm curious what those of you would have had the pharmacist/pharmacy do?

The pharmacist could (and should) have called the prescribing physician and said, "you know your patient is taking a shit ton of opioids right?"

Doctor says, "yes, I know, I wrote the prescription, dispense the Rx"

I've worked in pharmacy and seen this happen multiple times. The doctor confirms the script is legit and the pharmacist has no other choice but to dispense it.

Or you would rather pharmacists have "moral obligation" objections to any drug like they sometimes do for emergency contraception?

Do you really want this being referred to the Walgreens corporate overlords for review?

by Anonymousreply 40November 23, 2021 10:16 PM

Get educated, OP. Your assumptions are based on bias and not on fact.

And if you happen to vote, please have a serious stroke before 2022, in the name of the American commonweal.

by Anonymousreply 41November 23, 2021 11:43 PM

[Quote] If they feel a doctor is over-prescribing (and their opinion carries some weight, IMO), there are ways to open an inquiry.

Were inquiries open? Nope

by Anonymousreply 42November 23, 2021 11:54 PM

[Quote] I've worked in pharmacy and seen this happen multiple times. The doctor confirms the script is legit and the pharmacist has no other choice but to dispense it.

It’s not a moral obligation; it’s a medical obligation

by Anonymousreply 43November 23, 2021 11:54 PM

Yes, a medical option to make sure a medicine is safe for the patient. Not prescribing PrEP or birth control has nothing to do with worry about safety. Not dispensing opioids is about safety.

In fact, when some pharmacies wanted to opt out of carrying OxyContin because they kept getting robbed by addicts, Purdue threatened them with lawsuits.

by Anonymousreply 44November 23, 2021 11:56 PM

[Quote] Do you really want this being referred to the Walgreens corporate overlords for review?

So what exactly the is the point of all that pharmacy education if all they do is robotically prescribe pills?

by Anonymousreply 45November 23, 2021 11:57 PM

If any of these big pharmacies had raised the alarm, the FDA and Purdue would have taken notice. This large pharmacies have a lot of power.

Yet, not one said a peep. NOT ONE.

The pills make everyone rich

by Anonymousreply 46November 23, 2021 11:59 PM

F & F the psycho at R41 who isn’t mature or sane enough to engage in a basic discussion.

by Anonymousreply 47November 24, 2021 12:03 AM

[quote] how much more can they tell us/teach us that they haven't already?

Oh, I don’t know. Maybe capitalization?

by Anonymousreply 48November 24, 2021 12:03 AM

[quote]Why are you so hellbent to defend corporations? Do you own one?

Newsflash: If you have a 401(k) or own a mutual fund you own one too.

by Anonymousreply 49November 24, 2021 12:35 AM

[quote]I'm curious what those of you would have had the pharmacist/pharmacy do?

Stop pushing addictive drugs for profit. What about this confuses you?

[quote]Or you would rather pharmacists have "moral obligation" objections to any drug like they sometimes do for emergency contraception?

This has nothing to do with "pharmacists" or anyone working at a pharmacy. These corporations are being sued because they pushed these drugs just as much as the drug companies did. As several people have noted, customers were prompted to refill prescriptions whether or not they were depleted. This was a corporate policy and not something anyone blames on the people working behind the counter.

[quote]Do you really want this being referred to the Walgreens corporate overlords for review?

What the fuck does this even mean?

Your whole post is complete bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 50November 24, 2021 3:09 AM

R37, you are absolutely ignorant. On opioid prescriptions there are no refills. The doctor has to send in the okay every single month and it has to be at least 30 days after the previous prescription. And, the patient has to have an office visit every other month or they won't renew the prescription.

My 70+ year old mother has been suffering in horrible pain for years now because they have limited the opioids that are the only thing that will help her. She's been on them for over 20 years and tried every other means to stop the pain. She needs to take two every six hours to function in life. She's never taken more than that in the decades she's been on them. She's never sought out more than that. When they tried to offer her oxycontin about a decade ago, she told them no way. The pain relief lasts six hours (usually less) because that's how the drug works. But, instead, they give her enough for six a day and say 'use as needed'. Fuck them and fuck the addicts who took her entire quality of life away.

by Anonymousreply 51November 24, 2021 5:24 AM

USA moving closer and closer to fascism. Can't even get pain meds for legitimate health conditions. Doctors are afraid to write prescriptions because Big Brother is watching. It's insanity.

by Anonymousreply 52November 24, 2021 6:19 AM

This is the sheer stupidity of the USA Constitution. The pharmacy/pharmacist is simply there to fill an MDs prescription. Once these lobbyists attack your average, honest pill dispensers are being sheer chikenshits! These assholes cannot go up against tha AMA, nor the giant pharmaceutical companies in order to override a MDs authority and expertise.

Have any of us count the MANY that have fallen and died due to these controlling, anti-privacy rights right wing nutters? Do not mistake their true identities, they believe God only should heal us through the prayerocrats and pharmacist s. They are also the anti-pharmaceutical $Scienos that have killed their own constituents by dispensing lies(thetas) into taking vitamins and niacin to cure fucking cancer.

HEREIN ARE THE LIES!!! Michael Jackson (dead/OD), PRINCE(dead/OD but dr. prescription was not honored.

If you were to actually find out how many friends, family and celebrities have been killed by the US FDA, they’d deserve to be shut down! Many credentialed MDs have their prescription orders OVERTURNED by ignorant Govt bureaucrats and fucking pharmacists!! It is a known fact that the nimrods who fail to det into a medical school use a pathetic pharmacy license just so they can play MD. FUCK THEM ALLL!!!! They are licensed to KILL! by withholding and disregarding a real MDs written order.

WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR LEGAL RIGHT TO PRIVACY! WHAT HAPPENED TO SO- CALLED “ SACRED PRIVILEGE TO PRIVACY?” Ya know….Clergy/doctor/lawyer)???? WE ARE FUCKEFPD HERE AND EVEN OUR MOST SACRED CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS ARE BEING TRODDEN OVER!!

by Anonymousreply 53November 24, 2021 6:48 AM

Ohhhh……in addition, these pharmafuckers can and frequently “flag”/warn a licensed MD that they will have their license to practice medicine withdrawn should they accrue too many so-called “flags”. That’s right! And then these dickless DEA agents will come a-knocking!

This is how are lives are in danger by these non-Constitional pencil-pushing cube fraus who wreak havoc over our lives to kill us. Talk about government overreach.

We are the LEAST FREE PEOPLE of the world. Keep tuned into FAUKS!

by Anonymousreply 54November 24, 2021 7:05 AM

[quote]We are the LEAST FREE PEOPLE of the world.

Anyone who includes this degree of hyperbole is a troll.

by Anonymousreply 55November 24, 2021 8:56 AM

What’s wrong with technically being an addict if you need it for real pain?

Well?

by Anonymousreply 56November 24, 2021 9:07 AM

Every time we have this discussion, there are two different stories: the patient who needs opioids and can’t get them AND the addicts who have unfettered access. Every time.

How is it even possible? It’d be great for the people in pain if they could somehow hook up with the doctors and pharmacists that the drug addicts use. Funny how they never seem to find each other.

by Anonymousreply 57November 24, 2021 11:02 AM

r48 I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was being graded. I am not a typist. I am actually so bad at it that I had to remove the key to keep capitals on because I would always hit by accident and then have to erase everything and start again. It takes me a while to type anything. Should I stop participating on the internet because either you can't read it or it offends you that I didn't use capitals? I'm not writing a book I'm not writing a paper, I'm posting on a forum. Are you also the one that feels obligated to criticize every single person that makes a grammatical error without giving them the correction, but do it just to make fun of them?

by Anonymousreply 58November 24, 2021 11:45 AM

I cannot get prescribed anything but OTC at the dentist in my town now. Thanks, junkies!

by Anonymousreply 59November 24, 2021 11:47 AM

You need to scream and rant and rave R14. That is completely unacceptable.

by Anonymousreply 60November 24, 2021 11:57 AM

R53, SPIT IT OUT!

RIGHT NOW, R53!!

. . .

This is Fred Flintstone.

by Anonymousreply 61November 24, 2021 12:22 PM

[quote] Newsflash: If you have a 401(k) or own a mutual fund you own one too.

By all means, let corporations destroy the world so we get the extra $5 in our 401ks

by Anonymousreply 62November 24, 2021 1:10 PM

[quote] The doctor has to send in the okay every single month and it has to be at least 30 days after the previous prescription. And, the patient has to have an office visit every other month or they won't renew the prescription.

This is a recent requirement, a reaction to all the addiction caused by opioids. This was not in place at the beginning of OxyContin being approved.

by Anonymousreply 63November 24, 2021 1:11 PM

R53 = needs his meds NOW!!

by Anonymousreply 64November 24, 2021 1:13 PM

r53 Please review the Constitution and let me know how many times the word "privacy" appears.

I'll wait.

by Anonymousreply 65November 24, 2021 1:22 PM

Americans are super fat and super stupid.

by Anonymousreply 66November 28, 2021 9:22 AM

It’s known as “Privileged Speech” you dimwit.

by Anonymousreply 67November 28, 2021 9:26 AM

"If any of these big pharmacies had raised the alarm, the FDA and Purdue would have taken notice."

The most laughable statement on this entire thread. Thanks, R46, for that one. Purdue (run by the infamous billionaire Sackler clan) was THE opioid-making king and pushed these pills through and down to big pharmacies, small pharmacies, doctors, and pill mills, as is by now well documented in a series of books and miniseries, with help from the FDA, which agreed to go along with the lie that an opioid (from the word opium, or heroin) was 99% non-addictive, when it was just the opposite.

The opioid crisis BEGAN with Purdue and the FDA. They started it, they kept it up for decades, and anyone who's read one word or watched one minute of the ample coverage in print and tv knows this very basic and proven fact.

But thanks again, R46. I'm still laughing that you think the actual makers of the pills needed to be warned by the pharmacies and not the other way around. And of course the pharmacies were complicit in this.

by Anonymousreply 68November 28, 2021 10:17 AM

Jury Holds Walmart, CVS, Walgreens Liable In Opioid Distribution but not for making America the land of fatties? Talk about injustice.

by Anonymousreply 69November 28, 2021 10:25 AM

I know that was an attempt at humor, R69. Nevertheless: how do drug stores make people fat?

by Anonymousreply 70November 28, 2021 10:41 AM

Under the controlled substances act pharmacies are required by law to report suspicious prescriptions to the DEA. The large pharmacies have sophisticated sales tracking software that would have made that both obvious and easy and, for any privacy concerns, could have done it by county or pharmacy level, not individual patient. Also the pharmacies were found to have turned a willful blind eye to obviously forged prescriptions. There’s an awful lot of “look a squirrel” on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 71November 28, 2021 11:42 AM

R68, the original statement was made in response to those claiming the pharmacies bear no responsibility for the drug epidemic.

by Anonymousreply 72November 28, 2021 12:33 PM

R71– absolutely right!! The big pharmacies exhibited absolutely no sense of alarm or legally required responsibility, which is why they were fined

by Anonymousreply 73November 28, 2021 12:34 PM

[Quote] Nevertheless: how do drug stores make people fat?

Um, have you see what food these drug stores sell?

by Anonymousreply 74November 28, 2021 12:35 PM

No, I haven't.

by Anonymousreply 75November 28, 2021 12:41 PM

Walmarts have turned into huge grocery stores where I live.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76November 28, 2021 12:51 PM

Oh, brother. So drug stores are worse than, oh, groery stores?

by Anonymousreply 77November 28, 2021 12:55 PM

How many times have you been made to get a drug prescribed by your doctor with some insane copay and you take ONE pill and have an adverse reaction. You're stuck with pills that didn't work and you're out $300.

by Anonymousreply 78November 28, 2021 3:49 PM

Yes, they are worse, R77. At least if there's an issue with my groceries, I can take it back to the store. If I take a pill that makes me ill which I paid an insane amount for, the pharmacist doesn't take it back.

by Anonymousreply 79November 28, 2021 3:51 PM

R79, you're conflating two different things. One dope upthread made a ludicrous crack about drug stores contributing to American obesity. You're talking about the high price of prescriptions.

by Anonymousreply 80November 28, 2021 7:22 PM

What R2 said. These drugs require a prescription from a medical doctor. These pharmacies are not at fault.

by Anonymousreply 81November 28, 2021 7:37 PM

Pharmacies are responsible for tracking the amount and dosage of any and all prescriptions--particularly those that are narcotics. If a doctor makes a mistake in writing out a script, or seems to be prescribing an inordinate amount of a med--again, especially if that drug is a narcotic, which opioids are--it is, in fact, also the pharmacist who has accountability in actually reaching out to the doctor with questions. The last word is not the doctor's, exclusively.

by Anonymousreply 82November 28, 2021 7:48 PM

Seriously OP? Are you even considering how many people got hooked on prescription opioids that had no intention of becoming a "junkie" in the first place? They may have followed their doctor's orders and prescription, not knowing how highly addictive this stuff is to begin with.

You're comparing people who intentionally do shit like snorting cocaine and shooting up heroin for recreation to innocent people who may have been prescribed opiate based meds, and involuntarily became dependent on them.

by Anonymousreply 83November 28, 2021 8:29 PM

R81, every entity from the the manufacturers of the drugs, to the doctors who prescribe them to the pharmacies who dispense them are at fault, imo.

by Anonymousreply 84November 28, 2021 8:32 PM

You're right, R84, and it's not just your opinion but a court's ruling. Accountability--better late than never, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 85November 28, 2021 10:25 PM

This is SUCH BULLSHIT ! Bush was a TOTAL ASS but....the onething i agree with is he said if people are in pain help them. You out there who dont live in agony dont have a clue !!!!!! It is hellish and i agree totally with the poster about the gun. You that condemn pain pills have nary a clue about suffering so bad that the thought of putting a bullet into your head pops into your head daily, dependent on what level of pain you experience.

by Anonymousreply 86November 28, 2021 10:47 PM

This is ridiculous and absurd.

by Anonymousreply 87November 28, 2021 10:56 PM

I had a root canal tooth pulled in the spring. It broke into pieces and my oral surgeon had to do quite a bit of poking and digging to get all of the pieces out. Then he did a bone graft and put stitches in my gums. He would not give me a prescription for any painkillers and I had horrible pain and burning for a few days.

I think he might be a DL’er so hopefully he is reading this and recognizes himself and will cease being stingy with drugs. Or maybe he is just a sadist.

by Anonymousreply 88November 28, 2021 11:27 PM

[quote] I had horrible pain and burning for a few days.

I had that once after a questionable hookup. Got a shot at the free clinic.

by Anonymousreply 89November 28, 2021 11:39 PM

Can someone explain to me how we can hold drugstores accountable for opioids but gun manufacturers have no culpability for all the school, synagogue and gay nightclub shootings out there?

by Anonymousreply 90November 28, 2021 11:39 PM

R90 the reason is in the below link. (And it stinks)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91November 28, 2021 11:44 PM

R91 Thank you for the explanation. I’m disgusted.

by Anonymousreply 92November 28, 2021 11:56 PM

[quote] hasn't it come to the point were everyone just needs to take responsibility for themselves? how much more can they tell us/teach us that they haven't already?

You’re an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 93November 29, 2021 12:20 AM

Opioids are addictive; if you take them, you will get addicted, and, even if you want to quit, you can't. We have a system that is supposed to catch abuse by both doctors and patients. Pharmacies are part of that system. That is why pharmacists have to get advanced degrees, pass tests and get licensed -- and why they make a nice living. They must keep records.

I don't know if the monetary awards here are appropriate, but we have legal checks built into the system for a reason, and the pharmacies lapsed in their duties.

by Anonymousreply 94November 29, 2021 1:00 AM

R94, all the pharmacist can do is validate that it is a legitimate prescription from the doctor. If the doctor says, yes, that is what I prescribed, the pharmacist is obligated to fill the prescription. What other areas do you want pharmacists overriding doctors' orders?

"Doctor, did you really want this person to have the PrEP prescription? I don't think he needs it. We sell condoms right over the counter so I'm not going to fill this."

How about birth control pills? Morning after pills? Erectile dysfunction pills? Cholesterol pills? Do you want the pharmacist making moral judgments overriding your doctor based on potential future bad behavior that those pills could allow for?

by Anonymousreply 95November 29, 2021 1:24 AM

[quote]Opioids are addictive; if you take them, you will get addicted, and, even if you want to quit, you can't.

Complete lie. Opioids used to treat actual pain treat the pain. You don't get the high or the buzz or the chill or whatever the addict's reaction is. They are necessary for chronic pain in a lot of people and those people are suffering because they can't get the pills they need to have any quality of life. Patients before about 10 years ago had been on the same amount for decades to control their pain and never sought more because they were legitimately using them for their intended use. Addiction requires more and more to get the same reaction. That's not the case with people who need these pills to be able to even stand up. Addicts are the dregs of society and the few rare cases who get beyond their addiction do not make up for the millions of others who have ruined society. Fuck them all.

by Anonymousreply 96November 29, 2021 1:30 AM

1). On any individual order, the pharmacist will fill the doctor's order. However, the number of opioids being sold out of some of the pharmacies were outrageous and should have been flagged ACCORDING TO REGULATIONS.

2). R96, pls don't take them unless you absolutely need them. And yes, I've had morphine after surgery, I understand legit use.

by Anonymousreply 97November 29, 2021 2:16 AM

What bullshit, R95. Birth control pills, morning after pills, erectile dysfunction pills, cholesterol pills--none of those are narcotics. It's not about a moral judgment, you fucking idiot. We're talking about a narcotic pedaled like it's a Pez dispensary.

by Anonymousreply 98November 29, 2021 2:25 AM

Oh please, if Opioids were not available, the same people addicted to them would be the same people trying to sue company for making alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 99November 29, 2021 2:49 AM

Are you drunk, R99?

by Anonymousreply 100November 29, 2021 2:51 AM

R98, you moron, the point is that the pharmacist does not get to decide which prescriptions to fill or not depending on their thoughts and feelings on it. They can question the doctor but if the doctor says fill it, that is legally what they have to do. If you want to open that door, you're opening it to consciencious objections like those I've listed.

R97, I don't take any pills. I was speaking about my mother. She's over 70 and can't get the 8 pills a day she was on for decades due to horrible, debilitating arthritis and degenerative bone disease. Never took more than those two pills every six hours. Never sought out more because the two pills last long enough for her to make it through the six hours. Two pills every six hours had allowed her to function for over 20 years but now she's limited to 6 a day so she gets to choose which hours during the day to be completely debilitated by pain. She can either choose to not be able to sleep because of the pain or not be able to move during the day because of the pain. A lot of the time, she ends up just taking the usual 8 a day she was used to and then suffers even more for the last few days before she can get a refill because she only has a couple of pills left. It literally says on her bottle to take two every six hours as needed. If she needs them to function, I'd love for them to explain how taking two every six hours works when you are only given enough for two every eight hours. All because some fucking addict can't control himself. Whenever I hear of an addict dying, I'm glad. Good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 101November 29, 2021 4:14 AM

"All because some fucking addict can't control himself. Whenever I hear of an addict dying, I'm glad. Good riddance."

R101, your mother's situation has nothing to do with someone who's a victim of Purdue becoming hooked, or any other person who like your mother is a person who depends on pain pills. It's not about controling themselves, it's about addiction. Wishing someone death because of your mother's situation is an emotional reaction. If your mother is in such a prolonged state of dependence and it's not working for her, I would imagine it would be time to figure out another course. If she's been on a pill for decades, and she's now dependent on 6 a day, because that sounds like someone who's an addict.

by Anonymousreply 102November 29, 2021 5:04 AM

f she's been on a pill for decades, and she's now dependent on 6 a day, that sounds like someone who's an addict.

Fixed.

by Anonymousreply 103November 29, 2021 5:05 AM

R101, if your mother takes6 pills a day, she's an addict.

by Anonymousreply 104November 29, 2021 5:32 AM

No, she's not an addict. The last few of you posting on here simply do not know what you are talking about when it comes to addiction vs. use vs. abuse vs. dependence. My sister-in-law, who used to steal my mother's pills, is an addict and was up to over 30 pills a day before she got so sick that she had to go to rehab. The pills when used to treat pain last around six hours. When the pills are used by people in actual pain, they don't get high from them. They just work on the pain. Addicts need more and more to get their high. They don't stay on the same amount for years. I really wish people would learn what they are talking about before they open their fucking mouths about things they know nothing about.

R102, the statutes limiting the amount that doctor's can prescribe are directly due to the fucking addicts. She sees a pain specialist who, after trying every single other thing he could think of to treat her would prescribe the eight a day she needs except for the statute, a statute that was put in place against the objections of the medical community who knows that there are people who actually need this to function through debilitating pain. This is all due to the fact that old people suffering doesn't matter but some 19 year old asshole drug addict overdosing must be saved from himself at all costs. Let them die. Society will be better off.

by Anonymousreply 105November 29, 2021 7:36 AM

Sorry, R105, you're wishing the wrong people dead. The opioid addiction proble began with the makers and was carried on by the supply chain of doctors and pharmacies. Your anger is misplaced.

by Anonymousreply 106November 29, 2021 10:28 AM

opiates are classified as OPIODES! IM-BE- CILE!!

Ambien is a classified as a HYPNOTIC! You IMBECILE!!

by Anonymousreply 107November 29, 2021 10:37 AM

I’m laughing at the people like r99 who seem to think it was the addicts who sued the pharmacies.

by Anonymousreply 108November 29, 2021 10:42 AM

Even OP tried to make it seem like the addicts brought this suit to resolve themselves of blame.

The opioid crisis has cost the government a lot of money. Money we pay in taxes. The government is trying to recoup that money from the corporations that made the money off the addicts.

Otherwise, the pharmacies keep the money they made addicting people, and taxpayers pay for it all ourselves.

by Anonymousreply 109November 29, 2021 10:46 AM

You do realize that sometimes people are addicted to pain relievers because they are, in fact, in fucking PHYSICAL PAIN! No….they are NOT trying to get high and/or forget about their self-imposed problems! Try working in construction all fucking day and find out how fucked up your back, knees and shoulder/neck HURTS LIKE HELL!

Ask Prince Nelson if his hip actually hurt? (Ditto Tom Petty)

Ask Michael Jackson if he had bad back pain and insomnia.

[R109 thinks like a bitter JEW! Always money$$$money$$$money$$$. Fucking asshole. Next time, in an effort to lower costs, why don’t you refuse any anesthesia?]

by Anonymousreply 110November 29, 2021 11:00 AM

Find a way to patent shoving painless $100 suppositories up your arse.

You get to keep as much $$ as you can shove up your back hole!

by Anonymousreply 111November 29, 2021 11:04 AM

What a strange anti-Semitic rant, r110.

I’m not about saving money, I’m about corporations not being allowed to profit by destroying the world.

I feel the same way about environmental cleanups. The people who made the money off making the mess should be the ones who pay to clean it up.

by Anonymousreply 112November 29, 2021 11:05 AM

Why should the taxpayers pay when the pharmacies made the money?

by Anonymousreply 113November 29, 2021 11:08 AM

R110 is just another typical corporate Repug whore who thinks that if you make a profit, it’s by definition legal and moral.

by Anonymousreply 114November 29, 2021 11:10 AM

$$$MONEY$$$ Grab a stack but don’t take from my stash.

This is about fucking people, people who have real fucking nerve endings. I wonder how much anyones life is worth - cash wise? So if I offered an anonymous person a cool $1 million to shove a nail up his fingernail, this would truly and simply be a financial arrangement?

The sickness runs deep folks. The Horror!

by Anonymousreply 115November 29, 2021 11:13 AM

R113. There you have it.

by Anonymousreply 116November 29, 2021 11:15 AM

Reading some of these posts…what are the chances Kathe is a datalounger?

by Anonymousreply 117November 29, 2021 11:15 AM

Do all Repugs become incoherent messes when they lose arguments?

It is the closest they ever get to admitting they are wrong, so it does serve some purpose

by Anonymousreply 118November 29, 2021 11:16 AM

It’s always the “government is too big” people who want the government to pay for corporate malfeasance, instead of the corporations.

Because they’re hypocrites

by Anonymousreply 119November 29, 2021 11:18 AM

Quite possibly, R117.

by Anonymousreply 120November 29, 2021 11:18 AM

I meant it's quite possible, R117.

by Anonymousreply 121November 29, 2021 11:19 AM

Some people still are arguing as if they think addicts are going to get a payoff from this ruling.

This is just going to cover money the government has already had to pay because of the actions of these irresponsible corporations. We, the taxpayers, are just getting some of our money back.

by Anonymousreply 122November 29, 2021 11:22 AM

The Moneychangers. I’m stupid so I could never figure out why Jesus didn’t like the law-abiding merchants at the Temple. They should go way back and correct the story that it was the Jewish Counsel of Nicea that condemned Jesus and ripped at their robes for his heresy!

Talk about Critical Race Theory!….SHEEEEEET!

by Anonymousreply 123November 29, 2021 11:58 AM

Why doesn’t it surprise me that the corporate whore is a raging bigot?

by Anonymousreply 124November 29, 2021 12:22 PM

r124 He's only a bigot because you disagree with him, not because he is actually one.

You'd be far better off facing your own demons instead of shoving them off on people.

by Anonymousreply 125November 30, 2021 11:56 AM

You don’t consider anti-Semitism to be bigotry?

by Anonymousreply 126November 30, 2021 12:03 PM

Except I’m not Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 127November 30, 2021 12:23 PM

You don’t think other races have suffered genocide? It’s still going on today…and has existed throughout human history. Or maybe you are special or something….

by Anonymousreply 128November 30, 2021 12:25 PM

Thank you for identifying yourself as a troll. Goodbye.

by Anonymousreply 129November 30, 2021 1:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!