Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

People who live alone

Have you ever had a medical emergency and what did you do?

A woman I work with lives alone and woke up in the middle of the night with what turned out to be a gallbladder issue.

She said she was so bad off she could barely get to her phone to call for an ambulance. She said she's never felt so alone and afraid.

by Anonymousreply 124November 26, 2021 1:09 AM

I imagine I'll either call 911 or I'll die and my cats will eat my face.

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2021 1:38 PM

I did have already sent stone once and was outside puking my guts out when my neighbor came home saw what was happening and walked on by. he's a nurse but he also hates me.

by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2021 1:39 PM

I've had horrible food poisoning, passed out and had to go to the ER in the middle of the night. I called 911 once I came to.

It wasn't ideal but I felt so sick that I'm not sure having another person there would have been that helpful to be honest.

by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2021 1:40 PM

I'm almost 70 and have lived alone since I got out of college. I never used to worry about this very much, but now that I'm older and a medical emergency is much more likely to happen, I think about it almost every day.

by Anonymousreply 4November 23, 2021 2:14 PM

I took an Uber to urgent care once. I had pneumonia (so I wasn’t bleeding or throwing up all over). I wanted to save the small fortune an ambulance would cost. They transferred me from urgent care to the ER across the street in an ambulance. :(

by Anonymousreply 5November 23, 2021 2:22 PM

I drove myself to ER. Had a raging UTI. Was painful af

by Anonymousreply 6November 23, 2021 2:24 PM

I recommend getting a medical alarm for elders and people with substantial health issues who live alone. Just a push of a button will can your life. They have a variety of services available online. I thinking Med Alert 🚨 is one of them.

by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2021 2:25 PM

Just because you live with somebody doesn't mean they'll be there when you need help or will take the appropriate actions if they are there. I know of an instance in which an elderly woman allowed her husband to lie on the floor for twelve hours without calling for help (admittedly she was later diagnosed with dementia, but come on, even a person with demential can yell Help!)

by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2021 2:27 PM

Like R4 I'm almost 70 and have always lived alone and only now am realizing that this is not a good situation any more. I'm still very healthy but anything can happen and I do worry about it. A lot.

I even think of getting one of those horrible alarms "I've fallen down..." etc.

by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2021 2:45 PM

Definitely invest in Med Alert or something like that if you're older. My mother had a device like that and never actually used it. But it made me less worried about her.

by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2021 2:46 PM

[quote] I did have already sent stone once and was outside puking my guts out

Say what now?

by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2021 2:50 PM

I’m not worried, OP.

I’ll just log on to Datalounge and one of you fat whores will call an ambulance for me.

by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2021 2:51 PM

Not if they've forgotten the word, r8. Doily!!! Doily!!!

by Anonymousreply 13November 23, 2021 2:54 PM

Be prepared to confirm size verificata first, R12 - even in the throes of pain or sickness!

by Anonymousreply 14November 23, 2021 2:55 PM

Get real R12. I’ll be far too busy screeching at a fellow DLer for misusing the word further versus farther to even notice.

by Anonymousreply 15November 23, 2021 2:55 PM

The Apple Watch has a fallen sensor that can call for medical assistance.

by Anonymousreply 16November 23, 2021 2:56 PM

[quote]Be prepared to confirm size verificata first

It's sizeMEAT verifiCATIA you fat stupid whore!

by Anonymousreply 17November 23, 2021 2:59 PM

I’ve driven myself to the ER with a kidney stone when I was younger and lived alone. And several years ago my partner, normally cross-country on a month-long consulting project, happened to be home when I slipped, shattering my ankle. He took me to the hospital. Had he not been home, I’d have hopped (literally) to my car and driven myself to the ER without a second thought. To be fair, I have a high pain tolerance. I said my broken ankle pain was 4/10 on the hospital’s pain scale and meant it.

But most people aren’t like that, and medical emergencies, especially when you’re alone, can be very frightening. Call an ambulance, and if you’re concerned about medical issues which render you unconscious so you can’t, maybe set up a daily check-in system by text or phone with a friend. And, if you have a chronic health issue, always have your cellphone nearby or get a wearable medical alert device, like an Apple Watch (set up correctly!) or Life Alert.

by Anonymousreply 18November 23, 2021 3:00 PM

I have trained my cat to call for help.

by Anonymousreply 19November 23, 2021 3:07 PM

I’m watching my parents and mentor and seeing how we manage these ‘blindspots’ and risk. One key is to stay technologically fluent, ensure that you can handle and operate smartphones and tablets, including charging (wireless if you don’t have good finemoto skills to plug in some micro-usb hub).

Also, behaviorally, focus on on thing and don’t get distracted by cats or thing like that. And be really vigilant about food handling and storage. Food poisoning is some serious shit!

Keep few but nicer things around you and set up service agreements for things that you can’t maintain or fix yourself. Keep some ‘dry powder’, money to retrofit your bathroom and kitchen if you want to age in place, or bundle your assets to buy into a well-operated care facility. When I’m too old and gross to live on my own, I will sell off my homes and take a place in a care facility probably along the east coast. Because I don’t have kids and I’m (relatively) set financially, I might be able to take a place in a care facility that adds services as you need them. Some are pretty nice (on the ocean, with small individual suites with gas fireplaces, even cottages on a campus setting).

Eat complex macronutrients to support your nervous system. Don’t smoke. Don’t ‘collect’ friends who might exploit you.

Read omnivorously, stay connected to the world.

by Anonymousreply 20November 23, 2021 3:14 PM

I'm in my 40's, I've lived alone in apartments most of my life with the exception of a few shorter term relationships. Longest was 3 years. I do worry about this... hasn't happened yet. The emergencies I have had I have drive myself to the ER or urgent care. I know my cat would stare. Might look into the Apple Watch/Med Alert route (thank you). Only people I'm close to right now are my parents, an aunt, and a few friends.

by Anonymousreply 21November 23, 2021 3:14 PM

This thread has a lot of honesty in it. Managed risk is a big deal for anyone who is alone, and maybe a bigger threat to those who have not lived independently for much of their adult lives, but then find themselves alone, or betrayed.

Also, people are more estranged right now, very focused on virtual relationships. All the ‘likes’ on your social media feeds don’t matter that much if you’re alone and broke, and many, many people are. Many more will be. We live in an existential world.

by Anonymousreply 22November 23, 2021 3:22 PM

I was going into septic shock and nearly died at home. I lived with my mom at the he time but she wasn't home.

by Anonymousreply 23November 23, 2021 3:26 PM

R23, what are the symptoms of sepsis ? How did you know to go to the hospital?

by Anonymousreply 24November 23, 2021 3:30 PM

I was on a step ladder the other day and got a little wobbly. That was unnerving. I will have to line up a good handyperson to help out with simple things like changing lightbulbs.

I worry about getting sick or injured while traveling to the extent that pre-COVID I didn’t want to go anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 25November 23, 2021 3:34 PM

I'm 66, live alone and recently developed afib. Most afib occurrences are manageable but on one occasion my heart rate was over 190 bpm and I had trouble standing without fainting. I thought of calling 911 but realized they wouldn't take me to the hospital where all my doctors were based since there were other hospitals closer to my home. So I called an Uber and got to the ER that way.

by Anonymousreply 26November 23, 2021 3:40 PM

[quote]Just because you live with somebody doesn't mean they'll be there when you need help or will take the appropriate actions if they are there.

A few weeks ago I had a massive coughing fit that caused choking and I couldn't talk or text. My partner and I have our own rooms, I was in mine and my door got locked on accident, but you can still get in through the master bathroom. I discovered my partner is so dumb he didn't know this. We've lived here 15 years. To this day he insists he "couldn't" get into the room to check.

I swear to you he didn't used to be dumb, but the last few years I've had to hire handymen for every small job and lawn mowers because he's done stupid things (soldering wiring that's still plugged in, mowing in the middle of the afternoon when it's 104F and he's in a long-sleeved black shirt tucked into jeans) and he's going to kill himself or let me die out of stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 27November 23, 2021 3:57 PM

Yes. Was very sick with flu and local yahoo hospital sent me home when they should have admitted me. 4 days later I'm in the back of an ambulance on my way to the decent hospital 100 miles away because of their incompetence. I was alone at home the entire time and just had a gut feeling to call the ambulance when I did. The nurses said I saved my own life, I wouldn't have lasted much longer, my lungs were full of fluid and phlegm. Listen to your gut. It has saved me many times from various situations.

by Anonymousreply 28November 23, 2021 4:03 PM

I just lie on the floor and yell. "Take me now, Lord!"

And like most guys, he ignores me.

by Anonymousreply 29November 23, 2021 4:05 PM

[quote] my door got locked on accident,

Are you six?

by Anonymousreply 30November 23, 2021 4:06 PM

Heh, heh, heh ...

by Anonymousreply 31November 23, 2021 4:12 PM

I've also always said that if I die at home, no one will find out for a while and my cat will devour me. And I'm fine with it.

by Anonymousreply 32November 23, 2021 4:17 PM

If I was able, I'd drive myself to the hospital 20 minutes away. If not, I'd call 9/11. I'd also try to reach my neighbors to look after my dog, I've done that for them several times when they've gone away. If for whatever reason I couldn't contact them I'd ask someone on the medical team to do it.

by Anonymousreply 33November 23, 2021 4:24 PM

Oops, 911.

by Anonymousreply 34November 23, 2021 4:25 PM

My aunt who lived alone was murdered in her bed by an intruder who apparently came in through an unlocked basement window.

But I can't really ask her what it was like to have an emergency when she was living by herself. And she wasn't alone at the time of the emergency, as it was.

by Anonymousreply 35November 23, 2021 4:30 PM

Oh lord R35

by Anonymousreply 36November 23, 2021 4:36 PM

There's a concept which I call "the Doctor's Solution"; and here's the story that goes with its name. Once when I was planning for my first overseas trip, I had read that it was a good idea to ask one's doctor for an extra prescription for one's medications to carry, just in case in the hurley-burley of travel one would lose one's pills. I duly asked my doctor of the time for the extra prescription to carry, giving him my reasons, and his response was, "Don't lose your pills!", and changed the subject.

And so, here is "the Doctor's Solution" to having a medical emergency when you're alone: "Don't have a medical emergency!"

Huh, so simple!

by Anonymousreply 37November 23, 2021 4:40 PM

I’m a big proponent of using technology to help you in such matters, there are some things that it’s designed to help society, and I don’t mean toxic Twitter and Instagram posts.

I’ve recommended thus app called Snug to my patients who do live alone by choice or circumstances, and who needs an extra layer of insurance in case something happens. You pay a small premium, I think it’s less than $15 a month and if you miss your daily check-in, Snug will start contacting help. You can also press for help on the app for emergencies.

by Anonymousreply 38November 23, 2021 4:45 PM

[quote] A few weeks ago I had a massive coughing fit that caused choking and I couldn't talk or text. My partner and I have our own rooms, I was in mine and my door got locked on accident, but you can still get in through the master bathroom. I discovered my partner is so dumb he didn't know this.

Maybe your partner did know how to get through but pretended he didn't know.

by Anonymousreply 39November 23, 2021 4:49 PM

R39.

by Anonymousreply 40November 23, 2021 4:50 PM

If I'm not feeling well, I pay attention to what day of the week it is. Monday to Wednesday, I'm OK and can wait and see what happens. If it's Thursday or Friday, I'll take care of matters right away.

I.e., I try to avoid being really sick on a weekend. My HMO has after-hours phone service, so, I can call, too.

Mainly, take care of little things b/f they turn into big things.

The example at OP - gall bladder. That usually happens to overweight people. It's not a totally unexpected occurrence.

by Anonymousreply 41November 23, 2021 4:55 PM

Medical Alert worn around neck. It feels dumb at first, but it is a necessity. There are Apple watches with fall detection, too. Gotta do what ya gotta do. I also have gotten to know immediate neighbors, although they both have small children and we have little in common. We at least have each others' contact info. FWIW.

by Anonymousreply 42November 23, 2021 4:56 PM

Your cat will let you die R19 because he wants your stuff.

by Anonymousreply 43November 23, 2021 4:58 PM

[quote] I also have gotten to know immediate neighbors, although they both have small children and we have little in common. We at least have each others' contact info. FWIW.

Yeah, it's good to be on good terms with neighbors (and have each others' contact info). I'm on good terms with my neighbors. Not to toot my own horn here, but UPS, etc., sometimes leaves their parcels in weird spots. If I see the parcel, I'll replace it closer to their door. I do mail order, too, but my stuff goes to the Post Office.

by Anonymousreply 44November 23, 2021 5:02 PM

I use Snug as a check-in on a daily basis. I experienced a false alarm back in the spring when they upgraded the app. Eight EMTS and two ladder trucks showed up at my house. Long story short, my check-in had not been registered because of a glitch. Snug agreed to pay the cost of a storm door that was broken in the process of EMTs trying to gain entry. Very decent folks. I was on a Zoom meeting in another part of the house while the EMT drama was unfolding. So the system does work, and you need to be vigilant about checking in by a certain time each day. You can change that check-in time and suspend the service if you are traveling or otherwise don't need it temporarily. I will keep using it.

by Anonymousreply 45November 23, 2021 5:11 PM

[quote]Your cat will let you die [R19] because he wants your stuff.

Worse, that cat is named Mrs. Patsy Ramsey.

It's dumb enough to get a cat in the first place, but a name like that is just tempting fate.

by Anonymousreply 46November 23, 2021 5:12 PM

Wow as I’m reading these comments it seems that a great deal of middle aged people live alone during these times now more than ever it seems.

I would have never thought that virtual communication would dominate a large portion of our society. I mean it’s great but I wonder if this is how it’s going to be in future.

And it’s not just middle aged folks by the way it’s all ages.

The médical button and the apps are our best if we become infirme or have a medical emergency. The apps you would need your phone with you at all times. The med button you wear it on you so..

by Anonymousreply 47November 23, 2021 5:13 PM

I have trained the ghost that lives at my house to dial 911,the only problem with that is now 911 gets ten calls a day from my house and they wont answer. Maybe i should teach it to drive my car to the hospital.

by Anonymousreply 48November 23, 2021 5:14 PM

You don’t have time for retraining at your age!

by Anonymousreply 49November 23, 2021 5:23 PM

[quote] There are Apple watches with fall detection, too.

See! Another example of how Apple thinks they’re the best, but put useless things on their items.

Everyone knows fall starts in September. Why would I need Apple to detect that for me?

Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 50November 23, 2021 5:24 PM

[quote]People who live alone

He died. What the fuck am I supposed to do?

by Anonymousreply 51November 23, 2021 5:28 PM

R38, thanks for the Snug recommendation, just downloaded for future use. R45, good follow through by them and they took on the cost.

I'm 59 and have always lived by myself. Called 911 once and that worked out okay. My concern is getting to a point when you can't take care of yourself and actually need assistance. Financially I think I can move into an assisted living facility at the time but I would encourage everyone to continue to save money as your latter years can be very expensive. Ideally, you want to be as self sufficient as you can...so eat right, exercise, etc.

Best to all of you and try to have a happy holiday season!

by Anonymousreply 52November 23, 2021 5:38 PM

Great advice, r52; happy holidays.

by Anonymousreply 53November 23, 2021 5:48 PM

I choked on a pill not too long ago. First time that's ever happened. I wound up throwing my front door open with my phone in my hand, ready to dial 911 if my airway didn't clear. Luckily it did after what seemed like an eternity of panicked wheezing. Freda, my cat, was on standby, looking at me with her ears back, like, "This is new. And unsightly. Can you please stop that?"

I'm not afraid to die, or die alone, even. But I am afraid of pain. And of Freda being trapped without food and water. My face would only take her so far. So I appreciate the rec for Snug; I'll definitely check it out.

by Anonymousreply 54November 23, 2021 5:54 PM

Why is this grayed out?

by Anonymousreply 55November 23, 2021 5:56 PM

r50,, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

by Anonymousreply 56November 23, 2021 5:59 PM

R50 lol 😂 Touché

by Anonymousreply 57November 23, 2021 6:00 PM

My bf of over two decades and I maintain separate residences and spend about 70% of our time together. The plan is for us to move in together when we both retire. We had planned to stay in my house but now think we want to relocate to an area with better services for seniors and into a low-maintenance place. These things wouldn't have crossed my mind even five years ago, but seeing my parents age at home has me thinking about it from a different point of view.

by Anonymousreply 58November 23, 2021 6:01 PM

R55, grayed and striked out. Anyone know why??

by Anonymousreply 59November 23, 2021 6:04 PM

Nobody ever thinks they’re going to get old.. I’m talking to you younguns out there.. lol .. So true though.. these years are flying by..

by Anonymousreply 60November 23, 2021 6:04 PM

I've been thinking more and more about this. Not yet 60, but I've been becoming more aware of how vulnerable I am--little things like a slip on a slick floor (which would've been nothing 20 years ago) could now result in a bad fall that kills me.

I'm another one who joked about the cat eating me, but now she's died, so I'll lie there undetected for a while.

by Anonymousreply 61November 23, 2021 6:09 PM

You get the thing to wear around your neck..

by Anonymousreply 62November 23, 2021 6:11 PM

My state (Maryland) has a 'Senior Call Check Program'. Every day at 2:00 I get an automated call on my phone. I respond by hitting Any Key, indicating that I'm OK and alive. If I don't respond by a third call, they call my designated person (in-law) to ask. It's a great service, and I'm relieved knowing that I won't die in my apartment and not be found for days.

Also, I live a block from the fire department, so the ambulance gets here fast.

by Anonymousreply 63November 23, 2021 6:13 PM

I’m mid-6ish, in very good health, with hopefully many more years of (healthy) life ahead. I do have a much younger (unmarried, straight) friend to whom I have teased the idea of him being an heir. I hope to maintain this relationship & revisit this possibility - with him, correspondingly, assuming some care responsibilities, etc. - in the future.

by Anonymousreply 64November 23, 2021 6:15 PM

I've thought of that, r39, but injures himself with his stupidity so often that I don't think it was deliberate.

by Anonymousreply 65November 23, 2021 6:20 PM

r64, just hire someone if you need care at some point. It's grossly unfair to put this burden on a friend or family member. Put your friend in charge of managing your care, not administering it.

by Anonymousreply 66November 23, 2021 6:20 PM

[quote]I’m mid-6ish

Tell me more.

by Anonymousreply 67November 23, 2021 6:21 PM

OK, moneybags r66

by Anonymousreply 68November 23, 2021 6:21 PM

It's not grayed out for me, r59. I'm on Asbestos Eyeballs, maybe check your settings?

by Anonymousreply 69November 23, 2021 6:22 PM

I like to see all the hate and anger on Datalounge so I keep my settings as they are.

by Anonymousreply 70November 23, 2021 6:28 PM

R66, that’s the general idea I was trying to convey. And also someone to take care of burial matters.

And my bad, Mr. Singer, I’m really mid-60ish.

by Anonymousreply 71November 23, 2021 6:31 PM

R55 and R59 I'm the OP and I don't see it greyed or striked out.

by Anonymousreply 72November 23, 2021 6:40 PM

I live next to a chic private clinic in Switzerland. I'm counting on being able to crawl there if necessary. Its a big operation with all night service. Its a far different story in Cairo but Egyptians are much kinder and more generous so I could perhaps rely on them to get me some help. Who knows.... An adventure. Would it be so terrible to end up dead in The Nile. I accompanied my father for his last entry entry into hospital. He looked me in the eye and asked me to help him walk to a bridge so he could throw himself into the Hudson River. It broke my heart to betray him and decline the request but my surviving family would not have approved.

by Anonymousreply 73November 23, 2021 6:45 PM

[quote] I try to avoid being really sick on a weekend.

Wasn’t aware it was a matter of personal scheduling to decide when one falls ill...

by Anonymousreply 74November 23, 2021 6:52 PM

I am not the OP but I do see it greyed out, too. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 75November 23, 2021 6:53 PM

I have the same set-up. A former employee who I trust entirely....

by Anonymousreply 76November 23, 2021 6:54 PM

I'm 59 and my sister is 67. We both live alone but we speak on the phone every day. We both know to call the other by 7:45 pm. I have an emergency contact card that I carry with me on my walks. It's original use is to let someone know I have a cat but it has my sister's info on it as well.

My Dad is in senior living but is self-sufficient. His apartment has emergency buttons in the bathroom and bedroom. I don't know if he wears a life alert-like device. I've never noticed it if he does.

by Anonymousreply 77November 23, 2021 6:57 PM

R77 awww, that’s a nice secure arrangement. Hope me and my sister are still close enough at that age to make such a thing work—we are close now, but we’re still both under 30 and unpartnered atm.

by Anonymousreply 78November 23, 2021 6:59 PM

R77, keep in mind that your emergency card can be used against you. If your wallet is stolen, etc they can call and demand a ransom, etc. I also never list on my contact family names (i.e. mom, sister, etc) and they will know and can target saying that you gave them the information. I use their first name.

by Anonymousreply 79November 23, 2021 7:01 PM

I'm my mom's check in service. We live across the country from each other. She sends an emoji, photo or audio message every morning and I return the favor. Once she's older, I may have to convince her to go with an alert system. This system works as she's fairly healthy and lives independently. But there will come a time when she may need help right away and that's when we'll have to go with an alert system.

I live alone, with cats, naturally. I suppose if my mom didn't receive a response from me, she would wonder. But I think it would take her awhile and even then, she wouldn't really know what to do but call my brother. I'm not close to him and he's not involved in life--he doesn't know my friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc. The most he could do is call 911 or police for a safety check.

My cats are what prompted me to look for an alert system for myself. I didn't want to disappear or drop dead and have them go days without food/care. Yes, I know...but after they've eaten my face. I searched for a "dead man switch" app or system and I found Kitestring. It's built for check-ins by text messages and was originally intended for safety checks for sketchy journeys, hikes, etc. But I just set my "journeys" as every 2.5 days and then I receive a text. If I do not respond with "Ok" within 12 hours, my preset emergency text is sent to my friend. My emergency text includes phone numbers for my cat friends/sitters. If you pay for the service, you have unlimited journeys, but I use the free monthly limit of 15 (and that's why my journeys are about 2.5 days). Kitestring changed the free limit to 3 but I guess my 15 limit was grandfathered in since it still works. And so far it still seems to work because I've forgotten to respond a couple of times and my designated contact friend checked in with me to see if I was okay. Otherwise, it's hard to tell if the service is active, the website doesn't seem to be updated regularly.

by Anonymousreply 80November 23, 2021 7:01 PM

^ great suggestion, thanks!

by Anonymousreply 81November 23, 2021 7:06 PM

R39, he just assumed you were trying once again to swallow a challenging Dominican pinga.

by Anonymousreply 82November 23, 2021 7:09 PM

Ah, damnit, after posting, I went to check Kitestring and it closed down on Nov 13th! First, that sucks and I have find a new system. Second, weirdly, it checked in with me yesterday. I wonder if they haven't shut off just yet.

Oh well, it was great while it lasted.

by Anonymousreply 83November 23, 2021 7:13 PM

Living alone, all alone? Not even a personal companion in the house?

This is why one never has only day servants and contract staff. Live-in help is an absolute must.

by Anonymousreply 84November 23, 2021 7:13 PM

Not R81, but R80

by Anonymousreply 85November 23, 2021 7:15 PM

I have always driven myself to the emergency room when I was sick. Although I have several friends who would gladly show up and take me if needed.

I do worry about it when I get older. I'll likely get a Life Alert thingy.

by Anonymousreply 86November 23, 2021 7:21 PM

Thanks, R78. R79, while that may be true I still think it's a good idea to carry while I'm on my walks. In case I get hit by a car, and can't speak, they will know to call my sister and she will take care of Cos for me.

When my sister was diagnosed with stage 4 gastric cancer, I would text her every morning and she would respond so I knew she was OK. She would often experience pain and I was afraid she would pass out. Once she was in palliative care, I no longer had to text her. I knew she was in good hands.

by Anonymousreply 87November 23, 2021 7:26 PM

A lone bump

by Anonymousreply 88November 24, 2021 1:05 AM

This thread has officially inducted face-eating cats into the DL bestiary.

by Anonymousreply 89November 24, 2021 7:49 AM

No one gives a fuck if I live or die and neither do I.

by Anonymousreply 90November 24, 2021 8:29 AM

R5 In US you have to pay for the ambulance? How much?

by Anonymousreply 91November 24, 2021 8:38 AM

I broke my leg in the house and felt like the "I've fallen and can't get up" commercial. It was awful. I was able to crawl to the phone and call 911. EMTs came, took me to the hospital, orthapedic surgeon inserted a rod, spent 6 weeks in a rehab facility. Thank God for good neighbors! They took care of the cat and house. I'm still in rehab at home but it is a terrible experience.

by Anonymousreply 92November 24, 2021 9:00 AM

R91 I paid $200 and that was for ambulance and EMTs.

by Anonymousreply 93November 24, 2021 9:02 AM

R77 My sister and I have also started a daily call ritual since my accident, Cosmo. She has a partner but I'm alone and this helps both of us relieve some anxiety. Crazy, isn't it? Who thought we'd ever need this personal safety net?

by Anonymousreply 94November 24, 2021 9:10 AM

R24. I had gone to bed the night before after vomiting and had a massive headache. When I woke up the next morning I was having trouble breathing and everything hurt.i managed to call 911 and it turned out I had menengitis and my body was shutting down. I spent the next week in a coma do a lot if it is a blur. I was very lucky that the ER doc that night knew their stuff.

by Anonymousreply 95November 24, 2021 9:33 AM

[quote] I didn't want to disappear or drop dead and have them go days without food/care. Yes, I know...but after they've eaten my face.

I feel like someone on Etsy could make a mint embroidering samplers that say "My Cats Have My Permission to Eat My Face When I Die" that we could all hang on our walls for when the cops finally bust down the doors after the neighbors complain about the smell.

by Anonymousreply 96November 24, 2021 10:27 AM

I hope it gets better for you soon r92!

by Anonymousreply 97November 24, 2021 10:28 AM

[quote]"My Cats Have My Permission to Eat My Face When I Die"

Oh human, do you really think we need your permission?

by Anonymousreply 98November 24, 2021 10:43 AM

On the back of my apartment door I have an 8X10 envelope "In Case of Emergency" with info on who to call when they find me. My super is aware of this.

by Anonymousreply 99November 24, 2021 10:46 AM

R92, In Manhattan an ambulance ride from 18th Street and Ninth Avenue to Beth Israel Hospital at 15th Street and First Avenue was $800.

by Anonymousreply 100November 24, 2021 10:53 AM

First time: Woke up at 3AM on a Sunday morning with horrific chest pains, could barely breath. Since I'm a world-class procrastinator, lay in bed waiting for it to either get worse or better. After an hour, at 4AM, thought oh fuck this shit, got up, slowly got dressed, and walked 8 blocks to the hospital. My thinking was that since I live alone, at least if I drop dead somewhere in the street along the way, someone will find me and I will avoid stinking up my building with rotting corpse smell. Made it to hospital, was admitted with possible heart attack, they had to wake up a team at 5:30AM to come do an angioplasty on me. Long story short, it wasn't a heart attack, it was heart burn (according to my GP).

Second time: 10PM on a Friday night, lying in bed reading, and suddenly hit with horrific dizziness, so bad that I had to slowly crawl on my hands/knees to the toilet to vomit. And then it got worse. I have no recollection of how I called an ambulance or opened my front door so the ambulance people could come in and cart me to hospital.

Since all of my life, the only person I've had to depend on is myself, when I'm confronted with extreme medical issues as described above, I don't panic, but rather think "oh fuck, what fresh hell is this?" and then deal with it. I also strongly believe that those of us who are physically alone in the world are not, in reality. That there are one or more someones watching over us, giving us the ability to cope/deal/and get on with it.

by Anonymousreply 101November 24, 2021 11:14 AM

[quote]I do worry about it when I get older. I'll likely get a Life Alert thingy.

My father got one of those Life Alert thingies. Two problems:

1. My father fell in the shower, had taken off his Life Alert thingy to shower and couldn't reach it to activate it.

2. The Life Alert thingy alerts that you're in trouble. But it doesn't open the security door to your building or your front door. After the 3rd? 4th? time the fire brigade broke down my father's front door, they finally demanded that he get a key safe, a doohickie that attaches to your front door jamb with a combination, in which you put your front door key for emergencies. Of course, then my father forgot the code to open his key safe.

by Anonymousreply 102November 24, 2021 11:23 AM

[quote] Be prepared to confirm size verificata first, [R12] - even in the throes of pain or sickness!

That is one of the intake questions:

What's your name?

What's your address?

What is the length and girth of your penis? Do you have photos? If so, please present them to the driver along with a photo I.D.

by Anonymousreply 103November 24, 2021 11:42 AM

How do you unlock your door for the EMTs?

by Anonymousreply 104November 24, 2021 12:51 PM

R96, I want to offer "cat burial", wherein the deceased is put into a house with a dozen cats who have been fed only a sustenance kibble diet for a month.

by Anonymousreply 105November 24, 2021 1:02 PM

R104 I was able to reach up from the floor and unlock the door for them

by Anonymousreply 106November 24, 2021 1:08 PM

Glad you're okay R26!

by Anonymousreply 107November 24, 2021 2:43 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108November 24, 2021 3:20 PM

[quote] You get the thing to wear around your neck..

Oh, what the hell is my ascot going to do?

by Anonymousreply 109November 24, 2021 3:22 PM

R108 Did this lady do her own stunt?

by Anonymousreply 110November 24, 2021 5:55 PM

Yeah, I think ambulance rides in LA are around a grand, which is ridiculous. Most insurance won't pay for them either. It's sad that so many of us would rather drive ourselves or walk to get help. This country is fucked up when it comes to all sorts of shit for medical care.

by Anonymousreply 111November 24, 2021 10:28 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112November 25, 2021 12:10 AM

But even if you're well-to-do enough to have a live-in housekeeper, she might be sick enough of your shit and beat you to death with a rolling pin after you fell and can't get up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113November 25, 2021 1:19 AM

Ambulance rides are free in my burg but you are expected to donate each year, I used to give $100 a year but have bumped it up, expecting I will need it one day and don't want a delay because they think I am a cheapskate.

by Anonymousreply 114November 25, 2021 6:39 AM

In Philly ambulance rides will cost you about $1200.00. It used to be waived if you eventually became an inpatient, but not anymore.

When the ambulance comes to pick you up they are supposed to take you to the closest hospital, even if all your records are at another. Sometimes you can cajole them or outright demand to be taken where you wish to go, but don't count on it.

It's a tough call at a tense time. Is this pain in my side just gas or is my appendix about to burst? Hindsight can be a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 115November 25, 2021 8:19 AM

ADT makes a panic button you wear on a chain on your neck. If you push the button they will call. If you don’t answer they will send someone. If you already have ADT it’s convenient. It has a very short range, it only works if you’re in the house.

by Anonymousreply 116November 25, 2021 11:27 AM

For those in the know, which is the best Apple watch for calling/ fall alert and the other features mentioned?

by Anonymousreply 117November 25, 2021 12:23 PM

Granny Smith or Red Delicious.

by Anonymousreply 118November 25, 2021 12:33 PM

[quote]I had gone to bed the night before after vomiting and had a massive headache

Eek! Never do this, people who live alone. Severe headache with nausea or vomiting is an A1 sign of an actual or impending stroke. Headache with stiff neck and light sensitivity are the more classic symptoms of meningitis/encephalitis, so don't ignore those either.

Having an Epipen around is a good idea if you live alone and have any propensity to allergies, because anaphylaxis can be very fast-acting. For this reason, don't take new drugs for the first time late at night. (Whether you're in a nightclub or not.)

R102, my aunt had a Life Alert thing, only not that brand (we're not American). It was designed to be worn in the shower as well as everywhere else, for the obvious reason that falls in the shower are a common cause of disaster. Furthermore, the people who installed it insisted that there be a key safe installed on the property. They supplied and installed it as part of the deal. On a house you put it near the door. In an apartment building it could be near your door, or, say, under the letterboxes in the lobby. The 'Life Alert' people had the combination and if they had to call emergency services they would let them know the location and the combination.

One of the advantages of life in a retirement village is that a lot of them have those systems built into the apartments and the key safes all stocked for times there's no-one on the desk. Another is nosy neighbours - you don't have to rely on your cat to realise you haven't been out and about.

by Anonymousreply 119November 25, 2021 1:38 PM

R17, I have the series 3 watch and can attest the fall detection works. I went flying over my handlebars of my bike one day and it was going to call for help if I didn't push the side button to indicate I was alright. I've had issues with false alerts, when pounding on chicken breasts. Same device alerts me when my pulse drops and I use the ECG function it to check against afib.

by Anonymousreply 120November 25, 2021 5:36 PM

Sorry, R120 was meant for R117.

by Anonymousreply 121November 25, 2021 5:36 PM

[quote] when pounding on chicken breasts.

Jeez, don’t hurt the twink!

by Anonymousreply 122November 25, 2021 6:27 PM

[quote] I’ll just log on to Datalounge and one of you fat whores will call an ambulance for me.

Hopefully it won't be PrimeTime and 75% of us will be blocked from responding to you.

by Anonymousreply 123November 26, 2021 12:59 AM

R123 wins.

by Anonymousreply 124November 26, 2021 1:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!