Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is the Gucci thing going to be gay iconic?

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62December 8, 2021 12:31 AM

It's getting middling reviews, and the rightwing propaganda websites that people like the OP apparently read are trying to say it's being panned by everyone. Just more culture war bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2021 10:54 AM

I think anyone who saw the first preview knew the movie was going to be shit. Gaga's Italian accent, by way of Bulgaria (?), was the nail in the coffin. It could be gay iconic if she gives us a "no wire hangers" moment or 2.

by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2021 11:01 AM

I had zero intention of seeing this until I read the reviews of how how bad it is, and now I can't wait to see it. Gaga Dearest steals the show with her line readings but everyone has mentioned how spectacularly bad Jared Leto is, doing his best Chef Boyardee accent.

by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2021 11:09 AM

I'm not saying it looks *good (cause it doesn't) but right-wing shitrags like the one OP linked to have a vested interest in making everything Hollywood produces seem like garbage, unless it's macho-crying movies from Clint Eastwood or something starring Jim Caviezel.

by Anonymousreply 4November 23, 2021 11:51 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 23, 2021 12:03 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 23, 2021 12:14 PM

This looks like a camp classic. The opinions of critics and mass audiences couldn't be less relevant to me. I'lll watch for myself and decide.

by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2021 12:16 PM

R7 Ridley Scott hasn't made a decent film in decades, so it's no great surprise that House of Gucci is unlikely to break that trend, but it surely has much potential as a glossy, trash-fest with Ga-Ga in full throttle vamp mode.

by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2021 1:09 PM

My favorite review so far

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2021 1:18 PM

I will absolutely watch this, but it seems like more of a stream at home film than a movie theater film.

by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2021 1:32 PM

I knew this was going to be shit. People were acting like she would win an Oscar this year.

by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2021 1:42 PM

It's an old cliche, but House Of Gucci really has had wildly mixed reviews. Here in the UK the Standard gave it 5/5 and the Guardian & NME both 4/5, whereas the Times awarded1/5 and wrote:

"flabby....atrocious...howlingly inept...moments of such knuckle-chewing awfulness that the entire movie seems to lurch into wonky self-parody and could possibly secure a lucrative box-office future as a laugh-a-long camp classic in the vein of Showgirls"

Can't wait to see it!

by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2021 3:54 PM

Good god, Adam Driver is ugly.

by Anonymousreply 13November 23, 2021 3:57 PM

Well, I, personally am dying to see it. I'll see if there's a trailer.

by Anonymousreply 14November 23, 2021 6:14 PM

or maybe not - I even got bored of the trailer before it was over

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 23, 2021 6:22 PM

R15 the trailer is 2&1/2 minutes long and the film runs over 2 and a half hours!

by Anonymousreply 16November 23, 2021 6:35 PM

[quote]and the film runs over 2 and a half hours!

OMG! - I'll wait until I can stream it - don't fancy being stuck in a theater for that long watching this.

by Anonymousreply 17November 23, 2021 6:41 PM

I, too, had no intention of watching - but now I cannot wait to see this campy MESs!

by Anonymousreply 18November 23, 2021 6:43 PM

Where's the backlash over casting non-Italian actors??

by Anonymousreply 19November 23, 2021 6:45 PM

I am “about” this!

by Anonymousreply 20November 23, 2021 6:54 PM

Jared selling it - looks like the movie has influenced his dress style, unless he was doing it on purpose as part of the promotion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 23, 2021 7:03 PM

very mixed reviews on RT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 23, 2021 7:09 PM

And she had her dogs dog napped for nothing!

by Anonymousreply 23November 23, 2021 7:22 PM

It's the new Valley of the Dolls.

by Anonymousreply 24November 23, 2021 7:25 PM

Lady Gaga's Trog

by Anonymousreply 25November 23, 2021 7:26 PM

R24 if only that were true, but it lacks the speed and snap and becomes tiresome like Robert Aldrich's (1968) The Legend of Lylah Clare or Richard Brook's The Happy Ending (1969) it's too heavy and drags and the dialog is not even unintentionally funny it's just cliched and awful.

by Anonymousreply 26November 24, 2021 12:51 AM

^PS Lylah Clare and The Happy Ending do have some genuine howlers and are recommended.

by Anonymousreply 27November 24, 2021 12:58 AM

Just finished the book - fabulous read. The story alone makes the Gaga character - ex Mrs Gucci - a camp icon. That IS the character. Almost hard to believe she was real and not fiction. But Italians can be bats*t crazy.

by Anonymousreply 28November 24, 2021 2:31 AM

Now I really want to see it!

by Anonymousreply 29November 24, 2021 2:45 AM

I think Gaga should do a big screen adaptation of The Nanny next. Daniel Craig IS Mr Sheffield.

by Anonymousreply 30November 24, 2021 2:50 AM

It is like one of those "American Crime Story" seasons, if Ryan Murphy was good at high camp.

by Anonymousreply 31November 24, 2021 2:50 AM

It's a slog!

by Anonymousreply 32November 24, 2021 8:07 AM

Whenever Salma Hayek is in a movie, it’s a guaranteed piece of shit. Never fails.

by Anonymousreply 33November 24, 2021 10:23 AM

Gaga's Mame.

by Anonymousreply 34November 24, 2021 12:21 PM

What happened with GAGA as Cleopatra? That was going to be Oscar#2.

by Anonymousreply 35November 24, 2021 12:46 PM

I'm waiting for "House of Coochie."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 24, 2021 1:02 PM

I saw it this afternoon. I really wanted to enjoy it but, boy, is it bad. Not funny, pathetic, boring, way too long, those accents and things that do not make any sense. Why do they have that scene with the young designer and Adam Driver after a (Versace?) fashion show? It leads nowhere. Also, they raid the house, Driver leaves, and then the marriage is off. Just bad, bad, bad. The best thing is Salma Hayek, she cracked me up with the Cayman Islands joke.

by Anonymousreply 37November 26, 2021 9:29 PM

R8, ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD is a good film, which he made a few years ago. But much of his more recent output has been less than stellar.

by Anonymousreply 38November 26, 2021 9:33 PM

It seems like a camp classic. I can’t wait!

by Anonymousreply 39November 26, 2021 9:35 PM

The Rotten Tomatoes score is 61%, not great but still fresh. As for the "bloated" running time, Gaga is just an actress. People are acting like she directed, starred, wrote, and edited the film.

by Anonymousreply 40November 26, 2021 9:36 PM

Even if you don't have time to read the entire linked article you should at least focus on the very last paragraph.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 26, 2021 11:03 PM

I'm not going to pay for it, and I'm probably going to have fun watching it. Lighten up, people.

by Anonymousreply 42November 26, 2021 11:49 PM

Regarding Gaga’s Bulgarian Italian accent: I saw a woman on YouTube recently and I would have bet money based on her accent and overall presentation that she was from Eastern Europe but she is Italian.

by Anonymousreply 43November 27, 2021 12:11 AM

If my movie fails, its only because of the fucking millennials.

by Anonymousreply 44November 27, 2021 12:48 AM

Why do they speak English with an Italian accent. They should speak Italian. Or English. These people didn't run around their lives speaking Italian accented English, after all.

by Anonymousreply 45November 27, 2021 5:10 AM

I saw it. Not terrible. Not good either. I'd give it a 3 out of 5 because the story is inherently interesting and Gaga is credible. The screenplay was lacking in depth and emotional resonance. Leto was dreadful. I think he was supposed to be there for comic relief, but not a single person in the theater laughed at his campy performance. Painful to watch whatever that was supposed to be. Driver was just OK, his usual performance. He really doesn't have much range. Overall, the film could have used more Italian actors and a better writer.

by Anonymousreply 46November 28, 2021 3:29 AM

Please put GaGa in a Suzanne Pleshette biopic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 28, 2021 3:53 PM

It's "SHOWGIRLS IN ITALY WITH BETTER CLOTHES". It's funny as fuck; it is a trainwreck. Much like CATS, did anyone with BALLS tell these Directors that their movies "really fucking Blow"& What were you thinking!!

by Anonymousreply 48November 28, 2021 4:45 PM

Having seen it last night I would pretty much agree with R46. It's not good, but neither is it so-bad-it's good.

The bones of the story are great and Ga-Ga is totally compelling, channelling Gina Lollobrigida, she's overwhelmingly the best thing about the movie. The rest of the cast all seem to be acting in different movies to one another. Lehto's caricature is dreadful - if this was supposed to be a comic character then it would have helped for him to have comic lines to deliver, but the main problems are actually with the lacklustre direction, terrible editing (a number of scenes have weird dead-air) and, worst of all, the dialogue which is uniformly poor & superficial and often completely superfluous. I really wish it had been an unintentionally bad trainwreck, but, aside from a couple of ludicrous scenes from Pacino, it wasn't funny either.

Better yet, it should have been re-written and then shot in Italian by Paolo Sorrentino - that could have been sensational.

by Anonymousreply 49November 29, 2021 10:23 AM

The audience I went saw it with laughed throughout. My 6 friends all liked it too. Leto is supposed to be a clown, albeit a tragic one. Gaga is electric and sorry to say dumbs dumbs, her and Leto will get nominated. But then you will cry oh it's because she went to all the smoozing events. Oh blah blah. And her accent is accurate. She won't win. But whatever. The film is messy and could have done with a shorter run time. Is it fun? Yes. If you have an ability to have fun. If you don't, it's not for you.

by Anonymousreply 50November 29, 2021 12:50 PM

I liked it. I saw it at a preview. I normally don’t have patience for long movies but this went fast. I remember looking at my watch about a half hour in to check the time. I looked again a few minutes later only to find a whole hour had gone by in what seemed like minutes. There were I have to admit a lot of holes in the story however.

by Anonymousreply 51November 29, 2021 1:07 PM

R49, stop insulting my direction! You must be a millennial who is always on your phone!

by Anonymousreply 52November 29, 2021 5:06 PM

Dateline NBC is airing a 2 hour episode starting at 9:00 tonight

by Anonymousreply 53December 4, 2021 12:34 AM

The scene near in the end in which she lashed out at the lawyer was devastating like a shot through the heart, so real, so believable that I felt so deeply for her.

by Anonymousreply 54December 4, 2021 12:42 AM

I wasn’t expecting much from this movie, but I saw it in rotation with No Time To Die, The Eyes of Tammy Faye and Spencer.

Although long, the movie kept moving (unlike the horrific Spencer which just seems to stand still).

The film Gucci could have used further editing and nuance, but overall it was enjoyable and interesting.

Not a Gaga fan, but she was decent.....or better than decent. I find Jared Leto repulsive, but in this film he was hardly recognizable as a tragicomic character.

The story itself is interesting.....and unfortunate. I’d recommend the film, as it was surprisingly one of the better ones amongst the recent four films I’ve just seen.

by Anonymousreply 55December 7, 2021 7:34 PM

Agree with R55 on every point.

by Anonymousreply 56December 7, 2021 7:38 PM

Yes, the reviews have been mixed, not scathing. I saw it; it's too long but it's not terrible by a long shot, and Gaga ia good. Jared leto, on the other hand, is dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 57December 7, 2021 7:44 PM

Gaga's accent is weird indeed. Sometimes she hits it perfectly; in other scenes, she just can't pull it off, resulting in it sounding absolutely daft. But she did put some effort in trying to recreate the accent, I'll give her that.

by Anonymousreply 58December 7, 2021 8:02 PM

I'm going to LIVE for this just for the location shooting and the sumptuous cinematography. The rest is potential camp gold particularly for those who lived in Europe during this scandal.

by Anonymousreply 59December 7, 2021 8:20 PM

[quote] Is the Gucci thing going to be gay iconic?

Do you know the difference between nouns and adjectives?

by Anonymousreply 60December 7, 2021 8:43 PM

Anyone thinking this movie is some campfest is going to be disappointed because it isn't. Not sure why anyone would think a movie about high fashion would be high camp.

by Anonymousreply 61December 8, 2021 12:24 AM

1. I know 21st century morons misuse the word 'iconic'.

2. And I know how 21st century morons like to describe any rubbish as 'iconic'.

3. But I wonder if the OP is trying to say this particular rubbish is 'iconic' in a uniquely homosexual way?

by Anonymousreply 62December 8, 2021 12:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!