Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Was it a shock when Clark Gable didn't win the Oscar for Gone with the Wind?

I guess he already had one.

Funny Robert Donat is probably in the least remembered film and performance.

Robert Donat – Goodbye, Mr. Chips as Mr Chipsdouble

Clark Gable – Gone With the Wind as Rhett Butler

Laurence Olivier – Wuthering Heights as Heathcliff

Mickey Rooney – Babes in Arms as Mickey Moran

James Stewart – Mr. Smith Goes to Washington as Jefferson "Jeff" Smith

by Anonymousreply 24June 28, 2022 10:32 PM

I was crushed and disillusioned by Hollywood so I immediately left for South America.

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2021 8:07 AM

Robert Donat’s performance is a classic. His Oscar was well-deserved.

by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2021 8:09 AM

Another vote for Donat. Classic, memorable (far more than Rooney or Stewart) and very deserving of all accolades.

by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2021 8:16 AM

They do say that since GWTW had garnered so many Oscar nominations that Louis B. Mayer, head of MGM, threw his weight around Hollywood to ensure Goodbye Mr. Chips got a bit of something as well.

Robert Donat was a great actor who left this world far too soon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 23, 2021 8:33 AM

Gable deserved it for delivering one of the most iconic performances in cinema history. However, he was under contract to MGM and Mr. Mayer would have been embarrassed for him to win for working at another studio, even though it was produced by his son-in-law. Still, I'll bet that Gable only lost by a few votes.

by Anonymousreply 5November 26, 2021 5:42 PM

Donat totally deserved that Oscar, he's phenomenal in Goodbye, Mr. Chips.

I'd argue the least remembered performance among the nominees is Mickey Rooney in Babes in Arms.

by Anonymousreply 6November 26, 2021 5:50 PM

That happened my freshman year in college and our Drama Club was aghast the next morning at the news.

by Anonymousreply 7November 26, 2021 5:52 PM

Robert Donat's performance reminded me so much of Tyrone Power's in "The Long Grey Line".

by Anonymousreply 8November 26, 2021 6:25 PM

I remember how gobsmacked I was.

by Anonymousreply 9November 26, 2021 6:32 PM

Clark Gable was perfect as Rhett Butler and the oscar should have been his.

by Anonymousreply 10November 26, 2021 6:35 PM

Oh dear, r10 — “should OF been his”

by Anonymousreply 11November 26, 2021 7:35 PM

I thought Viola was wonderful and very much deserved her Best Supporting Actress Oscar for Gone With the Wind.

by Anonymousreply 12November 26, 2021 9:45 PM

Clark should have gone supporting, he disappears for ages after Atlanta burns!

by Anonymousreply 13February 23, 2022 2:28 PM

R11 I think you have that backwards. The correct form is "should have." or "should've." "Should of" is not grammatically correct.

Trash bitch!

by Anonymousreply 14February 23, 2022 2:39 PM

Apparently, when he didn’t win Carole leaned over to console him and said, “Don’t worry honey, we’ll bring one home next year!” He pouted and shot back, “No we won’t, this was my last chance!” Indignantly, she retorted “I didn’t mean you, you self-centered bastard, I meant me!” I just read it in the new Academy Awards history book that came out last week, I posted about in the other thread.

by Anonymousreply 15February 23, 2022 2:42 PM

Why would Clark think it was his last chance? He was the King Of Hollywood!

Carole should have won for My Man Godfrey

by Anonymousreply 16February 23, 2022 2:47 PM

[quote]Clark Gable – Gone With the Wind as Rhett Butler

No, Clark Gable – Gone With the Wind as Clark Gable

by Anonymousreply 17February 23, 2022 2:53 PM

R15 Makes you wonder if Clark knew any mechanics at TWA.

by Anonymousreply 18February 23, 2022 2:54 PM

I thought it was a case of voters thinking “Gable being Gable.”

by Anonymousreply 19February 23, 2022 3:46 PM

Gable didn't win because he had already won for "It Happened One Night". Few remember the man who beat Gable in the GWTW year, Robert Donat, but he was excellent in "Goodbye Mr. Chips".

by Anonymousreply 20February 24, 2022 12:50 AM

Yes, it was a shock, OP. It was my generation's 9/11.

by Anonymousreply 21June 28, 2022 10:08 PM

I don’t get this idea that because an actor sticks to a persona means they’re automatically bad or lesser than chameleon types. Gable often played similar types but managed to parlay that into multiple great performances - especially GWTW, It Happened One Night, and Mutiny on the Bounty.

Most stars were this way and that’s why they were better - they knew their appeal and their limits. Even ones with tremendous talent and range like Barbara Stanwyck played with their most popular persona in all their roles - did Missy ever play a weakling or pushover?

by Anonymousreply 22June 28, 2022 10:14 PM

Subtlety of performance wasn't exactly s mark of that film, but to me Gable always stood out as 1930s hammy, not 1860s caddish.

by Anonymousreply 23June 28, 2022 10:19 PM

Damn! Damn! Damn!

by Anonymousreply 24June 28, 2022 10:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!