Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Miss Gulch

This is perhaps one of my favorite scenes in The Wizard Of Oz

It should be playing in a continuous loop at The Metropolitan Museum in New York in the Americana wing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175December 10, 2021 3:25 AM

Mine too!!!

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2021 2:52 AM

Wolves and otters. They's my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2021 2:53 AM

OP I agree with you lol.

by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2021 3:36 AM

Hamilton was so athletic in that movie. She can really move.

I wonder if she studied ballet?

by Anonymousreply 4November 23, 2021 3:47 AM

^ She got hurt falling through the fall in her big dramatic exit after being thwarted by Glinda.

Not to mention the bad timing of the smoke that was never edited correctly or reshot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 23, 2021 3:54 AM

[quote] falling through the fall

?

by Anonymousreply 6November 23, 2021 4:11 AM

She she a lesbytarian?

by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2021 4:17 AM

@r6, "falling through the fall"

Oops, *floor*

Aren't you going to "Oh, dear" me?

by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2021 4:30 AM

King Vidor was the director for the Kansas sepia scenes at the beginning and the end of OZ, after Victor Fleming left to take over GWTW.

The camera moves differently with him at the helm. That bicycle tracking shot, along with Over The Rainbow with its long lensed, soft focus background and slight movement for added warmth, are my favorites. Just lovely.

Yes, I know, Mary!

by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2021 4:31 AM

I like blue.

by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2021 4:33 AM

I think it's mentioned in the Harmetz book, but Hamilton did not enjoy playing Gulch, as she was very fond of both children and animals. Certainly the W.W.W. & Gulch are alike in that way (they're counterparts, of course), but my guess is that at least with the W.W.W., she could take the character a lot further.

by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2021 4:36 AM

EM: Almira Gulch, for 23 years, I've been dying to tell you what I thought of you, and now... well, being a Christian woman, I can't say it!

MISS G: you want to lick my pussy, don’t you?

EM: Yes! Oh God, yes, I want to chow down on your hot box till your eyes pop out of your head in pleasure!

by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2021 4:38 AM

Hi, fake Now, Voyager dialogue troll.

by Anonymousreply 13November 23, 2021 4:43 AM

Yes, Margaret Hamilton was a former teacher who loved kids, and she was the mother of a young son when the film was made. She was also quite close to teenage Judy Garland, for whom she felt deeply sorry. The polar opposite of the Wicked Witch or Miss Gulch.

by Anonymousreply 14November 23, 2021 4:53 AM

[quote]It should be playing in a continuous loop at The Metropolitan Museum

It should be played at the ticket entrance where curt behavior is necessary. You bitches cant find your ticket, TOO BAD! Now get out of the line before I set your dress on fire.

by Anonymousreply 15November 23, 2021 5:01 AM

R9 In all of the years and countless times I've watched "Oz" I never realized that was a tracking shot. And what a beautiful shot it is. I think the music is what always got my attention in this moment. I rewatched the clip you posted several times, just to enjoy the camera movement.

by Anonymousreply 16November 23, 2021 5:42 AM

[quote]King Vidor was the director for the Kansas sepia scenes at the beginning and the end of OZ, after Victor Fleming left to take over GWTW.

After countless viewings over many decades I think the Professor Marvel scene is my favorite in the film. There is so much visually if you freeze the frame and read the signs painted on Professor Marvel's caravan and of course the lovely bit where the tattered fraud himself delivers the truth in his own kind phony way. It's a beautifully acted scene by both actors.

by Anonymousreply 17November 23, 2021 6:23 AM

Margaret looked exactly the same the following year in My Little Chickadee, like she had escaped Kansas before the tornado even though My Little Chickadee took place probably 20 years before.

by Anonymousreply 18November 23, 2021 6:29 AM

She deserved an Oscar nomination

here are the nominees:

Hattie McDaniel – Gone With the Wind as Mammydouble-dagger Olivia de Havilland – Gone with the Wind as Melanie Hamilton Geraldine Fitzgerald – Wuthering Heights as Isabella Linton Edna May Oliver – Drums Along the Mohawk as Mrs. McKlennar Maria Ouspenskaya – Love Affair as Grandmother Janou

Edna May Oliver and Maria Ouspenskaya I haven't seen. Any good?

by Anonymousreply 19November 23, 2021 6:39 AM

why do lists you copy always get mangled like that on DL?

by Anonymousreply 20November 23, 2021 6:39 AM

Miss Gulch, the original frau Karen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 23, 2021 6:47 AM

One needs to double space between items, R20.

by Anonymousreply 22November 23, 2021 6:48 AM

MH was 37 when she made The Wizard of Oz!

by Anonymousreply 23November 23, 2021 6:52 AM

I have a sepia tone Miss Gulch on her bicycle Christmas ornament that plays her theme song.

by Anonymousreply 24November 23, 2021 7:00 AM

[quote] "She got hurt falling through the fall in her big dramatic exit after being thwarted by Glinda. Not to mention the bad timing of the smoke that was never edited correctly or reshot."

It was the coordination of the timing of the fire effect, w/the elevator. It happened on Friday December 23, 1938: Christmas Eve Eve. So, not only did she have to recover, but her holiday was probably ruined.

Her personal makeup artist Jack Young removed the potentially toxic green makeup (it contained copper) using alcohol, and she said (as one might imagine) that with the fresh second and third degree burns, it was an incredibly painful process. When she returned on February 10th, her hand wasn't healed, and she had to wear green gloves.

According to her interview at 35:15 in the linked clip, the one we see in the film is the very first one they did. The accident happened after everyone returned from lunch tired, continually making mistakes. And it IS a shame that the effect is somewhat spoiled by the incomplete smoke coverage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 23, 2021 7:01 AM

[quote] I have a sepia tone Miss Gulch on her bicycle Christmas ornament that plays her theme song.

I’m sure your place is the place to be for holiday parties.

by Anonymousreply 26November 23, 2021 7:05 AM

She was supposed to be on "the Facts of Life," but Charlotte Rae banned her at the last minute

by Anonymousreply 27November 23, 2021 7:08 AM

How did the role affect Margaret Hamilton's career? She has a ton of credits but not many I've heard of.

I would guess the type casting only kicked in decades later when it became a TV staple. (when was that? the 60s?)

by Anonymousreply 28November 23, 2021 7:20 AM

I was a semi-pro cyclist and her position is just horrible, not aero at all.

by Anonymousreply 29November 23, 2021 7:38 AM

r29 relax hun, it's an old children's movie

by Anonymousreply 30November 23, 2021 8:03 AM

Mine too!

by Anonymousreply 31November 23, 2021 8:15 AM

MISS Gulch is not a Frau, she is a SPINSTER. Fuckin clueless!

by Anonymousreply 32November 23, 2021 8:19 AM

Girls and boys like to play witches!

Yes, they do!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 23, 2021 9:42 AM

[quote]It's a beautifully acted scene by both actors.

Morgan's son recalled Judy coming over to their house one Sunday where she and Frank rehearsed that scene the whole day. I just love that!

by Anonymousreply 34November 23, 2021 12:19 PM

[quote] "MH was 37 when she made The Wizard of Oz!"

She was born December 9th, 1902. So she was thirty-five when cast, and turned thirty-six during production, exactly two weeks to-the-day before she was burned (I only just now realized that last bit).

And regarding the bit about her falling through the hole in the Munchkinland set: I always thought it would be badass to be the center of an effect like the disappearance. But what would frighten me most, would be the fact that the "elevator" essentially had to drop out from under (as age said it did), in order to clear the stage floor before the fire went off. And if one didn't tuck in properly, one could break an arm or leg, & get caught in the fire.

Interestingly, the W.W.W 's first entrance was performed by Hamilton's stunt double Betty Danko, who was essentially catapulted up through the opening. I know they rehearsed both repeatedly, but the speed with which they move through the floor (up AND down) to make the effect successful is really crazy. Think about that the next time you see that scene. The entrance is amazingly effective. I just wish the exit had been equally so. Danko herself was later injured when a pipe inside the broomstick she eas riding in the skywriting sequence exploded.

Something I didn't know: according to Wikipedia, Betty Danko's stunt career was cut short by an accident in the late 1950s, when she was hit by a car while waiting for a bus. Also: she lived with her widowed mother for fifty years, and never married. I don't actually know if she was a lesbian, but...potentially.

by Anonymousreply 35November 23, 2021 12:27 PM

Margaret seemed so sweet with Mr. Rogers. Loved hearing about her witch costume.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 23, 2021 1:22 PM

Her Sesame Street episode was banned and never again see. No footage exists.

by Anonymousreply 37November 23, 2021 6:12 PM

She was the original Karen.

I propose we change Karen to “Gulch”. i.e. “Another Gulch loses her shit on a restaurant employee, demands manager.”

by Anonymousreply 38November 23, 2021 6:38 PM

Re-branding Karens to “Gulches” also releases all those poor innocent Karen’s from the shame their name has caused. There are fewer people waking around with the name “Gulch”. Plus, it sounds more fitting. Maybe I’ll start a Change.org petition. Who’s with me, bitches?!!

by Anonymousreply 39November 23, 2021 6:41 PM

My favorite film. When I watch it it takes me right back to being a kid again, complete with the feeling of magic that movies exist and can be so beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 40November 23, 2021 6:48 PM

I hate that film... except for the adorbs flying monkeys.

by Anonymousreply 41November 23, 2021 6:51 PM

I hate the film precisely because of the flying monkeys. They scared me as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 42November 23, 2021 6:52 PM

I have a question about the different witches. In the movie, the house falls on the Wicked Witch of the East, which is the WW of the West's sister. In the musical(and soon to be film) Wicked, Glinda is called the Wicked Witch of the East. In the movie, Glinda is the Good Witch of the North. Why did they change up the locations of the witches?

by Anonymousreply 43November 23, 2021 6:59 PM

I loved the minty green smoke in the film. All of the colors are so absolutely gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 44November 23, 2021 7:01 PM

R43 From Wikipedia, about the novel Wicked:

[quote] As in the original Oz books, Glinda is revered as a powerful sorceress. Maguire follows the 1939 movie in having Glinda ultimately become the Witch of the North, not the South.

[quote] Identified in the original books as the Good Witch of the South, in the 1939 Wizard of Oz film, Glinda is identified as the Good Witch of the North

by Anonymousreply 45November 23, 2021 7:05 PM

R45, So Glinda is the Good Witch of the North in both the1939 film and in Wicked?

Is the Wicked Witch of the East, who has a house fall on her in the film, in the Wicked musical?

by Anonymousreply 46November 23, 2021 7:24 PM

R46 I haven't seen the musical but I read the novel and I don't remember the East one being mentioned; however, I recall that Elphaba (the WWOTW) had heard about Dorothy and believed she was a terrorist, so I imagine that that was because Dorothy killed the witch of the east.

by Anonymousreply 47November 23, 2021 7:27 PM

Wait, I'm wrong. The witch of the east was a major character named Nessarose. I think Nessarose is also a character in the play.

Here's her description from Wiki:

[quote] Elphaba's younger sister, eventually becomes known as ‘the Wicked Witch of the East’ (in Baum's original book - and unlike the film The Wizard of Oz - the Wicked Witch of the East and the Wicked Witch of the West are not sisters). Nessarose was born without arms. This was possibly a side effect of a remedy Melena took, in order to save her next child from having green skin. Nessarose is extremely beautiful, causing Elphaba to resent her both out of jealousy and because of her father's favoring Nessarose over Elphaba. As a gift, Frex sends Nessarose the sparkling glass covered shoes (which are known as the Silver Shoes in The Wonderful Wizard of Oz) that Glinda later enchants, giving Nessarose the ability to walk unaided. Nessarose inherits the title and role of Eminent Thropp of Munchkinland, as Elphaba was presumed dead. She is a devout unionist, and many Munchkins are unhappy under her rule. At the request of one of her subjects, Nessarose casts a spell that has the ultimate result of transforming a woodsman into tin. She is killed when Dorothy's house falls on top of her. It is heavily hinted that Nessarose is the illegitimate daughter of Melena and Turtle Heart, and not of Frex.

by Anonymousreply 48November 23, 2021 7:30 PM

I tried to read the Baum books as a kid and abandoned the effort pretty quickly. So much confusing complexity.

by Anonymousreply 49November 23, 2021 7:32 PM

In the book, there are four witches, each ruling over four counties and the central city is the Emerald City the capital of "Oz." Which is ruled over by the Wizard.

In the first book, the unnamed Witch of the North and Glinda, the witch of the South are "Good Witches." The east and west witches are bad. Later Oz books had each "county" have both bad and good witches, i.e. Good Witch of the North, Bad Witch of The North.

The 1939 movie combined the good witches as Glinda the Good Witch of the North. In the Oz books the witch of the North has little personality and is rarely used.

by Anonymousreply 50November 23, 2021 7:33 PM

Also in the OZ books the Wicked Witch of the East and the Wicked Witch of the West are not sisters.

by Anonymousreply 51November 23, 2021 7:33 PM

I read the novel around 2004 or so and I loved it. Try again.

I got the musical soundtrack when it came out and was a little disappointed the story seems to have been rejiggered for preteen girls. The novel is pretty dark and as a lifelong fan of the movie, I really admired what Maguire did with the story.

by Anonymousreply 52November 23, 2021 7:35 PM

R9- Victor Fleming- that happens to be a FABULOUS name.

by Anonymousreply 53November 23, 2021 7:41 PM

When I was in nursing school years ago, we had an instructor who loved to sneak up behind us while we were setting up medications. We used to hum this under our breath to alert each other - it worked!

by Anonymousreply 54November 23, 2021 7:41 PM

R12- LOL

I really think do think that Margaret Hamilton was VERY good as Miss Gulch. Pre Oz scenes she was the best character ( and performed so effectively by MH) in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 55November 23, 2021 7:43 PM

I love the story she told about how her agent got her the part.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 23, 2021 7:46 PM

Miss Gulch's expressions are so good in this scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 23, 2021 7:50 PM

R13 I’m the fake now voyager dialogue troll. I didn’t write r12 but I did laugh my ass off to it. I love you, r12!!

by Anonymousreply 58November 23, 2021 8:22 PM

DOROTHY Auntie Em, really -- you know what Miss Gulch said she was gonna do to Toto? She said she was gonna fuck him!

AUNT EM Now, Dorothy, dear, stop imagining beastiality. You always get yourself worked up like a whore in church.

DOROTHY (under her breath) old dumbass bitch.

AUNT EM Now, you just help us out today, and find yourself a place where you won't get your stupid ass into trouble!

by Anonymousreply 59November 23, 2021 8:33 PM

Uncle Henry) For God's sake Dorothy just let her have the dog. That is the fifth Toto you've had this month. And make sure you deworm the next one before you let the pigs have at it.

by Anonymousreply 60November 23, 2021 8:45 PM

MISS GULCH That dog's a hot piece of ass! I’m gonna fuck him then take him to animal control to be destroyed!

DOROTHY Fuck him? Destroyed? Toto? Oh, you can't! You mustn't! Auntie Em! Uncle Henry! You won't let this ugly old dog fucker take him, will you?

UNCLE HENRY Of course we will. Right, Em?

DOROTHY Please, Aunt Em, Toto didn't mean to shit on your bed He didn't know he was doing anything wrong. I'm the one that ought to be punished. I let him piss inside your closet. You can send me to bed without supper --

MISS GULCH If you don't hand over that dog, I'll lie and say Henry tried to rape me. And then you’ll have to get a shady lawyer and go to court. You’ll spend a shit load of money and have to sell this sad excuse of a farm to pay for it!

AUNT EM How would it be if you take Toto AND Dorothy? I’ve been wanting to sell her ass to the gypsies but haven’t had the chance.

MISS GULCH Well, I’ll have to sleep on that one Today I’ll just take that sexy Toto!

UNCLE HENRY Hee hee!

AUNT EM Ah shit! Dorothy, I guess you lucked out. I'm afraid poor Toto will have to go.

MISS GULCH Now you're seeing reason. It’s about fucking time!

DOROTHY No!

MISS GULCH Here's what I'm taking him in -- a yellow Dollar General shopping bag.

DOROTHY Oh, no, no! I won't let you take him! You go away, you old dried up cunt! Oooh, I'll bite your pancake tit off!

AUNT EM Dorothy! You stupid ass!

DOROTHY You wicked old bitch! Uncle Henry, Auntie Em, don't let her fuck Toto! Don't let her take his ass to animal control!!

MISS GULCH Here! I've got an order! Let me have that hot piece of ass!

DOROTHY You old dog fucker!

AUNT EM Put him in the bag, Henry.

MISS GULCH Thats the right idea!

DOROTHY Oh, don't, Uncle Henry. Oh, Toto! Don't go to bed with that dried up twat!

by Anonymousreply 61November 23, 2021 9:00 PM

that clip at R56 is great.

by Anonymousreply 62November 23, 2021 9:09 PM

I just pissed my pants from laughing so hard reading r61 and I’m the one who wrote it!!

by Anonymousreply 63November 23, 2021 9:14 PM

Well, the Broadway queens have invaded the discussion.

Thread Over.

by Anonymousreply 64November 23, 2021 9:19 PM

R64, I’m sorry. I was just trying to be funny.

by Anonymousreply 65November 23, 2021 9:47 PM

My mom was like her

by Anonymousreply 66November 24, 2021 12:26 AM

She reminds me there of the lead biker in any annual Gay Pride parade I've ever gone to.

by Anonymousreply 67November 24, 2021 1:02 AM

R37 I’m pretty sure you can find footage from the episode on YouTube.

R19 Maria is in Love Affair for maybe 5 minutes and it’s in unremarkable performance. A totally undeserved nomination considering that Hamilton was left out. In Drums, Edna plays the same character she plays in many other films. I don’t begrudge her the nomination since it was her only one, and because she was a reliable character actor in the 30s, but I think she was better in other films including David Copperfield and A Tale of Two Cities.

by Anonymousreply 68November 24, 2021 1:36 AM

[quote]Dorothy, dear, stop imagining beastiality]

This word wins the title of the most-misspelled word of the week on Datalounge.

It's BESTiality, you fat stupid whore!

by Anonymousreply 69November 24, 2021 1:56 AM

[quote]I got the musical soundtrack when it came out

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 70November 24, 2021 1:57 AM

I just watched that longer clip R21 of Gulch taking the dog & got really choked up again, just like the first time. Couldn't believe it! Am I such a ninny? No, its the power & magic of great cinema.

Think that's what pisses me off most about Cinema today, so little magic, so little power So much time & energy spent on force feeding politics to the unwashed(me).

by Anonymousreply 71November 24, 2021 2:15 AM

"Now you're seeing reason!"

After a hundred viewings there's always a line of dialogue that I swear I've never heard before!

by Anonymousreply 72November 24, 2021 2:31 AM

Hold up! Is Glinda a princess or a witch? There's debate on what her title really was. I'm so confused now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73November 24, 2021 3:08 AM

[quote] "Now you're seeing reason!"

A line that is echoed after Dorothy tells the Wicked Witch of the West she can have the ruby slippers: "That's a good little girl! I knew you'd see reason!"

by Anonymousreply 74November 24, 2021 3:15 AM

Return to Oz was better

by Anonymousreply 75November 24, 2021 3:49 AM

^^ Better than a lit cigar up your nose, anyway. ^^

by Anonymousreply 76November 24, 2021 4:43 AM

Edna May Oliver was also terrific as Juliet's Nurse in Cukor's Romeo and Juliet and as Aunt Betsey in Cukor's David Copperfield.

by Anonymousreply 77November 24, 2021 7:55 AM

^ Sorry, r68, I see you already mentioned David Copperfield.

by Anonymousreply 78November 24, 2021 7:57 AM

Miss Gulch cycle-flying in the cyclone and turning into the WWotW!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79November 24, 2021 12:11 PM

My favorite part of the movie is the psychology of the dream. I can't think of any rational explanation for the Munchkins, but the way Dorothy's subconscious interpreted all the personalities in her life seems so ahead of its time, and it seems like something too smart to be done today without an explicit explanation.

Most notably, I love that she believes what Professor Marvel says to her when he tells her what she wants and needs to hear (Go home; your aunt is freaking out.), yet her subconscious understands he is a fraud and turns him into a helpful fraud of a wizard who gets her to go home of her own volition. It's really so smart.

It's also really interesting that Toto goes with her and while all the companions and enemies she meets in Oz have real-life counterparts, Aunt Em remains Aunt Em, separated from Dorothy. And does her uncle have any presence in Oz at all?

by Anonymousreply 80November 24, 2021 12:41 PM

I think that 's actually the Wicked Witch of the East we see Miss Gulch turn into in the clip at R79, just before Dorothy*s house lands on top of her.

by Anonymousreply 81November 24, 2021 12:42 PM

Sadly, the actress who played Auntie Em committed suicide soon after the movie came out.

by Anonymousreply 82November 24, 2021 4:13 PM

[quote]Sadly, the actress who played Auntie Em committed suicide soon after the movie came out.

It wasn't soon after the movie came out. Clara Blandick continued to play supporting and bit roles up until 1950, when her health began to decline. Going blind and in severe pain from arthritis, she took an overdose of sleeping pills in 1962. She was 85.

by Anonymousreply 83November 24, 2021 5:25 PM

She committed suicide because she felt badly after telling Miss Gulch to take Toto AND Dorothy. It was referenced in r61.

by Anonymousreply 84November 24, 2021 10:22 PM

One of Clara Blandick's last films released was Riding High in 1950, a remake of Broadway Bill. She didn't have to do a thing. Her scenes with 1930's style marcel waves were headed out of the 1934 version and inserted. On the other hand, Margaret Hamilton repeated her role from the earlier film, along with Raymond Walburn, and the same lines were used. She looks 16 years older than she did in the earlier film. Interesting piece of useless trivia.

by Anonymousreply 85November 24, 2021 10:22 PM

R83 can't say I blame her.

by Anonymousreply 86November 24, 2021 10:29 PM

Miss Gulch is the epitome of today's average Data Lounger: finger on the ignore/freaks and flames trigger as soon something upsets their delicate hot house sensibilities, before they even read an entire post. And when those power trips/ego boosters don't work, they get on the horn to Muriel and whine and complain to her, demanding their fragile, fine china-like facades be protected at any and all costs.

Which is why this place is such shit lately and why there are so many seeming assholes/whiny ass piss ants who post here now.

by Anonymousreply 87November 24, 2021 10:56 PM

R8 OH DEAR DEAR DEAR

by Anonymousreply 88November 24, 2021 11:29 PM

The thing is about the "Who killed my sister?" line, it refers to a coven sister, as in witches coven, not sister by blood. The idea of the two wicked witches being blood sisters is some of that Gregory Maguire "Wicked" revisionist bullshit. (I really hate that book series and musical.)

Also, in one of the books about the making of "Oz", they printed one of the work sheets from the special effects unit for the scene in which the sparks fly from the ruby slippers and burn the witch's hands. It chronicles their attempts to create the sparks by holding a live electric wire to a metal sheet. The first try wasn't violent enough, so they "turned up the juice" meaning increased the power to finally get the look they wanted. However, recently, someone read that, misunderstood, and created the myth it is apple juice squirting out of the toes! You can even see Judy Garland flexing her ankles to work the pumps in the shoes if you look closely! 🙄

by Anonymousreply 89November 24, 2021 11:51 PM

Read r61

by Anonymousreply 90November 25, 2021 12:36 AM

r87 = "Optimistic Voices"!

by Anonymousreply 91November 25, 2021 12:57 AM

I don't buy the "Cover Sisters" thing. Too much like sister wives. I think they were indeed related. There's no indication anywhere that she was speaking of another member of her coven, or that she was even in a cover. She was her own coven, with her monkeys and her winkies.

by Anonymousreply 92November 25, 2021 1:03 AM

Americans hate Elizabeth Warren because she reminds them of Miss Gulch.

by Anonymousreply 93November 25, 2021 1:21 AM

Clara Blandick got Judy hooked on pills you know.

by Anonymousreply 94November 25, 2021 2:45 AM

Did Uncle Henry get her hooked on Grape Wine?

by Anonymousreply 95November 25, 2021 2:54 AM

R80, psychologically, the Munchkins are the baby chicks that Em and Henry are fussing over whilst ignoring Dorothy. Don’t we even see visual references to the Munchkins being in eggs and a nest?

by Anonymousreply 96November 25, 2021 3:02 AM

I watched the Wizard of Oz on TV last week and wondered how they managed to find so many little people for the film. They all seemed talented too. I don't think they would be able to pull that off today.

by Anonymousreply 97November 25, 2021 3:05 AM

The midgets...the Munchkins...How were they??? Well they were drunks

by Anonymousreply 98November 25, 2021 3:10 AM

The munchkins fucked Toto too

by Anonymousreply 99November 25, 2021 3:28 AM

Did the Tin Man have a stainless steel weenie?

by Anonymousreply 100November 25, 2021 3:57 AM

@r88, "OH DEAR DEAR DEAR "

Didn't you hear? I fear your "OH DEAR" is too late you old queer, so have another beer, we have rules about these things around here

- r8

by Anonymousreply 101November 25, 2021 4:33 AM

[quote]I watched the Wizard of Oz on TV last week and wondered how they managed to find so many little people for the film. They all seemed talented too. I don't think they would be able to pull that off today.

Actually they weren't able to find as many as they wanted. Children were used, mostly in the background, to increase their numbers.

by Anonymousreply 102November 25, 2021 5:20 AM

I’ll fuck you and your little dog too!

by Anonymousreply 103November 25, 2021 5:55 AM

The wicked witch’s pussy stunk! All that green smoke emitting from her snatch.

by Anonymousreply 104November 25, 2021 10:39 AM

The Jitterbug was the best part of the movie and they cut it.

by Anonymousreply 105November 25, 2021 2:26 PM

^ No, that was smart, this way the WoO is timeless and doesn't date itself. The Jitterbug is so America 1940 and would be weird any other period or place. You'll notice they didn't even use cars in the Kansas scenes to date the movie. Miss Gulch would be driving a Packard if she owned half the town

by Anonymousreply 106November 25, 2021 2:48 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107November 25, 2021 2:50 PM

[quote] The wicked witch’s pussy stunk! All that green smoke emitting from her snatch.

"How 'bout a little pussy, Scarecrow?"

by Anonymousreply 108November 25, 2021 2:51 PM

How do you think, as Aunt Em said, did Miss Gulch come to own half the county?

by Anonymousreply 109November 25, 2021 6:07 PM

Miss Gulch was a proto-DLer if I every saw one.

by Anonymousreply 110November 25, 2021 6:29 PM

Whoever made the graphic at r107 got Miss Gulch's name wrong. It's ALMIRA, not Elvira.

But I do like the idea of Miss Gulch being a nudist. It explains so much. She's upset with Toto breaking into her yard because she sunbathes naked out there. And that's why he bit her - he was frightened by her big jugs hanging down. The Wicked Witch of the West should be completely nude except for her hat.

by Anonymousreply 111November 25, 2021 6:36 PM

[quote]How do you think, as Aunt Em said, did Miss Gulch come to own half the county?

She trafficked young girls.

by Anonymousreply 112November 25, 2021 6:44 PM

This thread has clearly run its course.

by Anonymousreply 113November 25, 2021 7:04 PM

Then why are you visiting it, r113? It's easy to ignore if you feel it's run its course.

by Anonymousreply 114November 25, 2021 7:12 PM

r113

You can be the Wicked Witch of the East, after Dorothy arrives in OZ, of course

by Anonymousreply 115November 25, 2021 7:12 PM

You're right R29. She should have worn spandex, aero dynamic...with the flash of colors and logos...with a helmet. Bent over, of course.

by Anonymousreply 116November 25, 2021 7:48 PM

Another scene removed from the movie...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117November 25, 2021 8:16 PM

PROFESSOR Let's see -- you're -- you're travelling in disguise as a cheap skid row whore.. No, that's not right. I -- you're -- you're going on a visit. No, I'm wrong. That's...You're -- running away from a couple of old bitches.

DOROTHY How in the fuck did you guesd?

PROFESSOR Professor Marvel never guesses -- he knows! Now, why in the hell are you running away?

DOROTHY Why --

PROFESSOR No, no -- now don't tell me. They -- they beat the shit out of you at home. They don't appreciate the size of your tits. You want to see other cocks besides your uncle’s.

DOROTHY Why, it's just like you could read what was inside of my nasty assed mind.

by Anonymousreply 118November 25, 2021 10:44 PM

DOROTHY Nobody gives 2 fucks about me at home. They wouldn't even miss my stupid ass.

PROFESSOR Aw, come, come, come --

DOROTHY No, they won't - honestly. They’re bitches!

PROFESSOR Oh --

DOROTHY Auntie Em was even going to give me and Toto to that old cunt, Miss Gulch. She was gonna fuck Toto and then take his ass to animal control to be destroyed! She would have probably sold me to some dumbass foreigner for like $20. please, Professor, why can't we go with you? We’re fucking desperate as fuck!

by Anonymousreply 119November 25, 2021 10:51 PM

R101 get on back to your trailer now you red neck white trash.

by Anonymousreply 120November 25, 2021 10:57 PM

^ Started drinking alone again we see

by Anonymousreply 121November 25, 2021 11:17 PM

I’m gonna fuck myself

by Anonymousreply 122November 25, 2021 11:58 PM

Besides writing the Wicked and other adult books Gregory Maguire is a children’s author and gave the keynote address at a children’s book conference a decade or so ago. He told the most wonderful stories about being obsessed with the Wizard of Oz as a child and how he and his siblings would act out stories from the movie.

Maguire’s mother died giving birth to him and he and his older siblings were actually put in an orphanage for awhile. His father remarried and retrieved the children and more were added to the family. One time after WoO aired on TV, Maguire had all his bothers and sisters act it out and he assigned his 13 month old brother the role of the Wicked Witch and placed him in a cubby hole under the house. As baby/toddlers will do he began to mouth and eat things and began choking on some dirt. Fortunately his stepmother rescued him at almost the last minute, but he almost literally killed his baby brother. He also talked about how a week before 9/11 he had flown out of Boston on one of the same flights that were to be hijacked on his way to pick up one of his three children he and his husband adopted. On the way he looked down and saw Albany where he grew up and remembered his house and playing Oz.

When 9/11 happened his husband’s ex wife was working in the Wall St. area and they spent most of the day terrified that something had happened to her. It was only later in the day that they found out she was safe and had walked from there to the upper, upper West Side to get home.

Between having been on the same flight earlier as the plane that went into the World Trade Center and what his husband’s exspouse had experienced he became freaked out about flying, though he had a huge book tour all around the country to promote his latest novel and had to fly for many many months. He had to all but sedate himself to get onboard and was an utter wreck.

In the midst of this he attended an early workshop for Wicked and talked about how everyone was blown away by Defying Gravity. He was weeping and sobbing uncontrollably the first time he heard it because here was a character and a story he created who could do this ultimate act of reprisal, when he was completely crippled and destroyed by having to get on a plane, even though it was what had made it possible for him to get his own children. As much as it was a powerful moment for others, it was the thing that helped free him from the trauma and fear of flying.

I’ve always wanted to read his whole speech again, but to my knowledge only bits and pieces have been published.

by Anonymousreply 123November 26, 2021 12:49 AM

TIN MAN ...oil...oil....

DOROTHY I'll oil up yer ass and let the Winkies use you as a fuck toy.

SCARECROW That's not a very nice thing to say.

DOROTHY. Fuck you! I'll rip your head off and let Toto shit down your neck.

by Anonymousreply 124November 26, 2021 2:46 AM

Hilarious, R124. Are you a comedy writer?

by Anonymousreply 125November 26, 2021 3:47 AM

For those curious, the lovely Margaret Hamilton -- who was married and had a child -- was indeed a "lesbitarian" in her later years. DL fave Bruce Vilanch worked with her on the infamous Paul Lynde Halloween Special and she'd sit with Bruce and scope the young talent on breaks. The way Bruce told it, the whole thing actually sounded hilariously endearing than lech-y. Bless the old girl!

by Anonymousreply 126November 26, 2021 4:56 AM

We represent the shit n piss guild

by Anonymousreply 127November 26, 2021 5:28 AM

Tin Man) Oil can....oil can

Dorothy) Look he's saying power drill

Scarecrow) I don't think so

Dorothy) Of course he is, see I have one in my basket, let's drill his head.

by Anonymousreply 128November 26, 2021 2:11 PM

I love making up nasty fake dialogue i.e. r61, r118, r119

by Anonymousreply 129November 27, 2021 12:49 PM

r129, too bad it's so damn unfunny

by Anonymousreply 130November 29, 2021 1:28 AM

I had no idea that Billie Burke was married to Florence Ziegfeld. She must have been a very wealthy woman.

by Anonymousreply 131November 29, 2021 1:40 AM

Ziegfeld was a renowned producer and showman but he was broke most of his life

by Anonymousreply 132November 29, 2021 2:01 AM

Billie Burke came to Hollywood in 1932 while Flo was dying to make enough money to support him and pay off some of their debts.

by Anonymousreply 133November 29, 2021 2:29 AM

I just saw that Ziegfeld died before Billie did The Wizard of Oz. She was already a widow at that point.

by Anonymousreply 134November 29, 2021 2:34 AM

"She was already a widow at that point."

Thus why she's so bubbly in the film.

by Anonymousreply 135November 29, 2021 2:49 AM

We used to watch Wizard of Oz every year at Christmas. I still find it scary and I am middle aged. But it is an awesome movie. Have you ever watched it pared with Dark Side of the Moon? This is my favorite segment, I think it’s really beautiful

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136November 29, 2021 3:05 AM

Dear Auntie Em,

Hate you. Hate Kansas. Taking the dog.

by Anonymousreply 137November 29, 2021 4:01 AM

Us & Them is one of my favorite songs but I've never been able to get into the synched version of Oz and Dark Side. I've tried several times but I, personally speaking, ust need them to be separate. That said, it's almost creepy how some things align.

by Anonymousreply 138November 29, 2021 4:29 AM

Yes! Shes the original Frau! I'm for using Almira Gulch instead of Karen . Sign me up!

by Anonymousreply 139November 29, 2021 6:09 AM

As kids, my sister was terrified of the flying monkeys and had nightmares about them. I thought the WWOTW was scary but Glinda also unnerved me. I think it was the way she gestured and spoke down to Dorothy and also the way she seemed so tickled and unfazed by the wicked witch's antics. The wicked witch set people on fire and threatened to kill people and little dogs and Glinda didn't seem to take her seriously at all.

by Anonymousreply 140November 29, 2021 7:51 AM

Hamilton's speech is so rushed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141November 29, 2021 7:53 AM

[quote] "I just saw that Ziegfeld died before Billie did The Wizard of Oz. She was already a widow at that point."

Burke was 16 years and a few months younger than her husband. She turned forty-eight the year her husband died, and turned fifty-five the year she was cast and began working in "Oz".

I don't think forty-eight is extraordinarily young to be a widow, but they were only married for just under eighteen years. And it was indeed up to Burke to pay off the debt left behind by her husband. Thankfully, she'd already been a big Broadway star, which allowed her to easily transition into film.

by Anonymousreply 142November 29, 2021 8:28 AM

R139---ANOTHER USELESS IDIOT!

MISS Gulch is an Old Maid, a Spinster!

by Anonymousreply 143November 29, 2021 8:33 AM

r131 Fuck you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144November 29, 2021 12:48 PM

MadTV on "Dorothy's Lesson"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145November 29, 2021 1:49 PM

R130 when you’re devoid of humor nothing is funny. Cheer up.

by Anonymousreply 146November 29, 2021 10:50 PM

Okay, I'm a real eldergay DL'er but I've told this story before and it fits her, obviously. In Kindergarten, Margaret Hamilton often came to my school (Overland Elementary) and played games with the kids. We all loved her and even though the WOZ had already been on TV many times, none of us really made the connection. She was the most wonderful teacher and I had a hard time believing her as the Wicked Witch because she was so kindly.

by Anonymousreply 147November 30, 2021 12:44 AM

Florenz Ziegfeld, r131, not Florence.

Burke was Selznick's first choice for Aunt Pittypat in GWTW but the film was already over budget and she demanded too much money.

by Anonymousreply 148November 30, 2021 4:05 AM

[quote]Children were used, mostly in the background, to increase their numbers.

I've read every word ever printed about TWoO and this is the first time I've ever heard that. I doubt it's true.

The Singer Midgets were a troupe of midget performers under the aegis of Leo Singer an Austrian empresario who managed them mainly as vaudevillians and circus performers in Europe. They mainly weren't civilians, many were all performers already, although Mr. Singer did recruit American midgets to get to the 124 appearing in the film.

by Anonymousreply 149November 30, 2021 4:37 AM

I love Laura Hope Crews as Aunt Pittypat. I always forget Pittypat is Melanie's aunt, not Scarlett's. Either way, Crews was also a very experienced Broadway leading lady and this small role keeps her memory alive generations after her 1942 death.

Fun fact: Laura Hope Crews starred as Judith Bliss in the original Broadway production of Noël Coward's Hay Fever (1925), which she co-directed with Coward. I'm impressed, I bet she was great it is a very funny role.

by Anonymousreply 150November 30, 2021 4:49 AM

[quote]I had no idea that Billie Burke was married to Florence Ziegfeld.

What kind of mother would name her son Florence?

by Anonymousreply 151November 30, 2021 4:51 AM

[quote]Children were used, mostly in the background, to increase their numbers.

[quote]I've read every word ever printed about TWoO and this is the first time I've ever heard that. I doubt it's true.

Well, R149, in reading "every word ever printed" about "The Wizard of Oz," you apparently missed this article from the Los Angeles Times, which includes the following: "But not all of the Munchkins were little people. Ten young girls of normal height, ranging from 7 to 9 years old, danced and sang alongside the little people 70 years ago on MGM’s massive Soundstage 27."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152November 30, 2021 5:01 AM

Glenda the good fuck

by Anonymousreply 153November 30, 2021 9:01 AM

She looks great for 55, especially in 1939

by Anonymousreply 154November 30, 2021 11:56 AM

[quote]I love making up nasty fake dialogue

Glad you enjoy it, because I can assure you that you're the only one who does.

by Anonymousreply 155November 30, 2021 5:50 PM

Are you sure it wasn't Grizabella?

by Anonymousreply 156November 30, 2021 6:41 PM

Sorry - wrong thread.

by Anonymousreply 157November 30, 2021 6:42 PM

Did you ever read the story of Monkey/Tripitaka? I always wondered if Baum drew inspiration from that story in creating Dorothy’s trip around Oz

by Anonymousreply 158November 30, 2021 7:09 PM

Hey r155. Merry Sexmas!

by Anonymousreply 159November 30, 2021 11:10 PM

R155 I assure you that you do not represent everyone. Just sayin

by Anonymousreply 160November 30, 2021 11:11 PM

So, another interesting thread turns to total shit on DataLounge... It must be Tuesday

by Anonymousreply 161November 30, 2021 11:32 PM

Yeah a miss gulch thread is so mothetfucking interesting!!

by Anonymousreply 162November 30, 2021 11:41 PM

Sorry that it lacks the wit and cleverness of "Merry Sexmas," R162.

by Anonymousreply 163November 30, 2021 11:44 PM

Bye sorry ass.

by Anonymousreply 164November 30, 2021 11:47 PM

Do you think The Wizard of Oz should have won best picture over Gone With the Wind?

by Anonymousreply 165November 30, 2021 11:54 PM

^ No. I think GWTW was so incredibly epic

by Anonymousreply 166December 1, 2021 2:09 AM

R166 They are both great films - the Hollywood Studio system operating on all cylinders. To modern eyes Oz may seem a “better” film than GWTW because it hasn’t dated in the same way, and it’s pretty universally beloved; but at the time GWTW was a huge cultural sensation - there would have been little argument back then.

by Anonymousreply 167December 1, 2021 2:10 AM

r165

No, The Wizard of OZ just held its own on release. People liked it but it didn't become the classic it is today until the reruns on TV started.

by Anonymousreply 168December 1, 2021 12:09 PM

Scarlett screaming in shadow profile, fist-clenched, “With God as my witness, I’ll never go hungry again” as the sun roses and the orchestral score sweeps > “There’s no place like home”

by Anonymousreply 169December 1, 2021 2:21 PM

rises*

by Anonymousreply 170December 1, 2021 2:21 PM

With long hair and glasses she looks totally like Lauren Boebert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171December 9, 2021 7:53 PM

R171 that's Mayim Bialik

by Anonymousreply 172December 9, 2021 8:42 PM

[quote]But not all of the Munchkins were little people. Ten young girls of normal height, ranging from 7 to 9 years old, danced and sang alongside the little people 70 years ago on MGM’s massive Soundstage 27."

I've always thought the middle girl of the "Lullaby League" looks like a normal child, not a little person.

by Anonymousreply 173December 9, 2021 9:17 PM

[quote] Hamilton's speech is so rushed.

It’s the drugs. She never touched booze, but was well known for her love of speed and crystal meth.

by Anonymousreply 174December 10, 2021 2:11 AM

I had no idea that Oz, the Great & Powerful was so successful when it came out. It grossed $600 million in today's dollars. Audiences just can't get enough of the Wizard of Oz.

by Anonymousreply 175December 10, 2021 3:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!