Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jagged: Alanis Morrissette Documentary

They did a pretty good job showing the all-encompassing dominance of Jagged Little Pill the summer or 1995

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 24, 2021 11:43 AM

And Madonna gets a piece of it all

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 22, 2021 10:15 PM

Ironic is an example of the song being much better than the video

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 22, 2021 10:20 PM

I love that album so much, but I've grown less fond of Alanis herself over the years. She strikes me as very self-involved and a bit of a covert narcissist.

by Anonymousreply 3November 22, 2021 10:35 PM

She had a few hit songs after Jagged Little Pill but that was her peak

by Anonymousreply 4November 22, 2021 10:38 PM

It's on HBO Max

by Anonymousreply 5November 23, 2021 1:15 AM

[quote]Ironic is an example of the song being much better than the video

Stéphane Sednaoui directed the iconic "Give it Away" video for the Red Hot Chili Peppers which is a much better video.

But I like this one too. Her personalities talking to the viewer from different positions in the car, book ended by her filling her tank with gas and then running out at the end. It's so simple but for 1996 it was nominated for MTV Awards up the ass.

by Anonymousreply 6November 23, 2021 1:28 AM

Jagged Little Pill is referred to as the most successful female debut ever, but it was her third album

by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2021 1:38 AM

Great document of the 90s

by Anonymousreply 8November 24, 2021 3:58 AM

I liked JLP back when it came out but it hasn't aged well at all.

by Anonymousreply 9November 24, 2021 3:59 AM

Her lyrics are cumbersome.

by Anonymousreply 10November 24, 2021 4:43 AM

All I Really Want is underrated

by Anonymousreply 11November 25, 2021 7:16 PM

"We couldn't get signed. Everybody rejected us." Meaning major corporate labels rejected you. Doubt they contacted any independent record labels and they all rejected them.

Also, wasn't this her crossover to pop-rock sound? She was already popular in Canada as a dance-pop star.

by Anonymousreply 12November 25, 2021 7:26 PM

R2 Disagree. I actually like that video. Song is considered a joke nowadays. Since nothing she mentions as ironic is actually ironic.

by Anonymousreply 13November 25, 2021 7:28 PM

I was 16 in 1996 when "Ironic" (song and music video) reigned supreme. There was an English teacher who complained that there was nothing ironic in that song; it was just a bunch of bummers. For example, "a death row pardon too minutes too late" is not ironic, he said; it just sucks. Now, if the condemned person died of natural causes on the day of their execution, then that would be ironic.

by Anonymousreply 14November 25, 2021 7:28 PM

I used to listen to Ironic at Borders Music in Ann Arbor on headphones and look pensively around the store like I was in REM's "Everybody Hurts" video

by Anonymousreply 15November 25, 2021 7:33 PM

I actually liked her less after watching the documentary. She seemed dull and she was a bit of an asshole when they asked why she didn’t have any women in her band.

And I question how much Glen Ballard factored in the writing of her early stuff since she’s never had an album like that since.

by Anonymousreply 16November 25, 2021 7:39 PM

She is partly to blame for the word "ironic" being misused. Don't even get me started on "per se" (or "per say" as the dumb people spell it).

by Anonymousreply 17November 25, 2021 7:39 PM

[quote]She seemed dull and she was a bit of an asshole when they asked why she didn’t have any women in her band.

Perhaps she thought those men were more talented. Should she just hire women to fill a quota, even if they're not as talented?

by Anonymousreply 18November 25, 2021 7:48 PM

I didn't really like Uninvited or Thank You, but Hands Clean was Jagged Little Pill worthy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 25, 2021 7:55 PM

R15 Are you from Ann Arbor?

by Anonymousreply 20November 25, 2021 8:10 PM

R18 but the way she answered it was lame - she should have a better stock answer ready for that question if she’s going to spout her feminist shit. Can’t have it both ways. And given the political climate these days - that question was obviously coming and the director asked it in a very non-threatening way.

And she didn’t say the men were more talented. She specifically said that didn’t hire females for the band because she had “bad experiences” in the past working with them. Which is a red flag if I’ve ever seen one.

The most compelling people in the documentary were the men. She was dull as a rock.

by Anonymousreply 21November 25, 2021 10:28 PM

Joining You. The MTV Unplugged version is really good, but I couldn't find a good version of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 25, 2021 10:44 PM

Her burdens in life should be kept to herself,

by Anonymousreply 23November 25, 2021 10:54 PM

This album I loved - I remember the harmonica intro. Can't believe my generation aged so damned fast.

by Anonymousreply 24November 25, 2021 11:13 PM

I never got into her, I smelled a poser

by Anonymousreply 25November 25, 2021 11:14 PM

I worked at a Borders R15 ages ago at White Flint Mall in Maryland. I rather miss those stores.

by Anonymousreply 26November 25, 2021 11:21 PM

Loved the “Hands Clean” video!

The documentary is interesting; I don’t understand why Morissette has spoken out against it.

by Anonymousreply 27November 26, 2021 1:42 AM

R20 I went to school there. The Ann Arbor Borders was the very first Borders

by Anonymousreply 28November 26, 2021 3:07 AM

Some women in the documentary said that it was always male journalists talking shit about Alanis, but I remember Tabitha Soren on MTV News being very condescending toward her and belittling her talent.

by Anonymousreply 29November 26, 2021 3:12 AM

Alanish Morrisshette.

by Anonymousreply 30November 26, 2021 3:20 AM

I always wondered why she didn't go simply by Alanis? Alanis Morrissette was too cumbersome, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 31November 26, 2021 3:24 AM

Morrissette is a hot last name for an entertainer - and it's her real name

by Anonymousreply 32November 26, 2021 3:26 AM

I thought Taylor Hawkins played to the cameras when he toured with Alanis and was bummed when he joined the Foo Fighters

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 26, 2021 3:32 AM

"And every time I scratch my nails down someone else's back - I HOPE YOU FEEL IT!"

"WELL, CAN YOU FEEL IT?!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 26, 2021 3:46 AM

R27 When did she spoke against it? The documentary had just been made and came out few days ago.

by Anonymousreply 35November 26, 2021 8:18 AM

She was a Canadian pop tart who cribbed and diluted Ani DiFranco's sound.

by Anonymousreply 36November 26, 2021 8:40 AM

For a minute I was wondering "What is Tiffany doing in this documentary?"

by Anonymousreply 37November 26, 2021 8:49 AM

I was a kid when the album came out and I remember being obsessed with the hidden track at the end of the CD. I guess it would have been the first instance of a hidden track I ever came across, but as a child I felt like I was in on a big secret. The song seemed kind of 'naughty' too, with her talking about sneaking into his house and dancing in his shower and laying in his bed.

I have a lot of nostalgia for this era and will always like those songs but I do think the sound/look is dated. And I had a small crush on Taylor Hawkins too.

by Anonymousreply 38November 26, 2021 10:24 AM

For R35

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 26, 2021 6:42 PM

I don't know why she would object to anything in the documentary when "Hands Clean" is owning up to a sexual relationship with an older man when she was underage:

If it weren't for your maturity, none of this would have happened Oh, this could be messy but You don't seem to mind, and Ooh, don't go telling everybody and Overlook this supposed crime

We'll fast-forward to a few years later and No one knows except the both of us And I have honored your request for silence And you've washed your hands clean of this

You're essentially an employee and I like you having to depend on me You're a kind of protégé, and one day, you'll say you learned all you know from me and And I know you depend on me like a young thing would to a guardian I know you sexualize me like a young thing would, and I think I like ya Just make sure you don't tell on me, especially to members of your family We best keep this to ourselves and not tell any members of our inner posse

by Anonymousreply 40November 26, 2021 7:24 PM

I can't stand that deliberate dum-dum act that straight guys do like Taylor Hawkins when he says he had never heard the name Alanis before and didn't know how to pronounce it and kept saying 'Atlantis'

by Anonymousreply 41November 27, 2021 3:37 AM

I almost didn't recognize Alanis at first. Wow. She became a frau.

by Anonymousreply 42November 27, 2021 3:42 AM

I assume Hands Clean is about the older manager in "Jagged" she seems unusually close to before she moved to LA

by Anonymousreply 43November 27, 2021 3:49 AM

[quote] I assume Hands Clean is about the older manager in "Jagged" she seems unusually close to before she moved to LA

I hope not, that dude was old, fat and fug.

by Anonymousreply 44November 27, 2021 5:25 AM

She was overrated.

by Anonymousreply 45November 27, 2021 5:33 AM

R41 I think that guy is genuinely dumb.

by Anonymousreply 46November 27, 2021 8:45 AM

As noted above, she was already an industry product, so Jagged Little Pill was just another iteration of that, regardless of what is claimed. Hope they covered that. I’ve always been annoyed by her “cool alt chick” schtick so I prob won’t be watching this.

by Anonymousreply 47November 28, 2021 2:09 PM

I genuinely do not remember Alanis being a HUGE teen pop star in Canada (I'm a Canadian!!!) and used to watch MuchMusic all the time. Her popularity as a "pop star" up here always seems oversold to me. Unless, I just never watched MuchMusic when her videos were on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 29, 2021 5:18 AM

R3 Fuck off, die, narcissism troll. No such thing exists.

by Anonymousreply 49December 24, 2021 11:18 AM

LOL. In most of the sings from this shit album, I always thought she sounded like a wailing cat being run over and over by a semi-truck. You have to be braind dead or have cunt brain to like her shit.

by Anonymousreply 50December 24, 2021 11:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!