Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jennifer Lawrence - I Was Paid LESS Than Leo DiCaprio But #1 In Billing!

“I was number one on the call sheet, so….” Lawrence says with a laugh during a sit-down with Vanity Fair, on newsstands Nov. 30. “And I thought [the credits] should reflect that. Leo was very gracious about it. I think we had something called a ‘Laverne & Shirley’, which is this billing they invented where it’s an equal billing. But I guess maybe somewhere down the line, I kicked the stone further, like, ‘What if it wasn’t equal?’”

Though her name appears first in the film’s opening credits, the 31-year-old Oscar winner insists she’s fine with earning less than her co-star in this instance.

“Look, Leo brings in more box office than I do. I’m extremely fortunate and happy with my deal,” she says. Lawrence reportedly earned $25 million to DiCaprio’s $30 million payouts.

While she says she is happy with her deal for “Don’t Look Up”, Lawrence knows that’s not always the case for women when dealing with gender pay inequality.

“But in other situations, what I have seen — and I’m sure other women in the workforce have seen as well — is that it’s extremely uncomfortable to inquire about equal pay,” she says. “And if you do question something that appears unequal, you’re told it’s not gender disparity but they can’t tell you what exactly it is.”

by Anonymousreply 271May 8, 2022 3:00 PM

Well to be fair. No horny Millenial or Gen Zer dudebro would ever even watch the trailer if she wasn't in it.

by Anonymousreply 1November 22, 2021 9:30 PM

So the budget is already $55 billion just hiring these two? I think it was money down the drain as any girl in her part wouldn’t have made a difference in the movie. You don’t even recognize it’s her. They could have saved $24 million and hired Katie Holmes.

by Anonymousreply 2November 22, 2021 9:30 PM

Katie Holmes is a movie killer.

by Anonymousreply 3November 22, 2021 9:31 PM

[quote] So the budget is already $55 billion just hiring these two?

Both happen to be OSCAR WINNERS - that automatically raises their salaries.

by Anonymousreply 4November 22, 2021 9:31 PM

Her character looks like Katie Holmes in Feces of April.

by Anonymousreply 5November 22, 2021 9:33 PM

Apparently she is great in it as is Leo. She really needs better agents. If she had done say, Widows and I Tonya, as opposed to Mother and Red Sparrow she would be in a better position.

by Anonymousreply 6November 22, 2021 9:38 PM

Is there any evidence post-Weinstein over the last 5 years she is a box office draw who would deserve to be paid at the same or similar salary as a vet like DiCaprio.

by Anonymousreply 7November 22, 2021 9:48 PM

If it doesn’t bother her then why did she bring it up?

by Anonymousreply 8November 22, 2021 9:51 PM

R8 she was asked the question, she didn't bring it up

by Anonymousreply 9November 22, 2021 9:51 PM

To spark discussion. You can't be new to showbiz promo if you're posting here.

by Anonymousreply 10November 22, 2021 9:52 PM

[quote] Is there any evidence post-Weinstein over the last 5 years she is a box office draw who would deserve to be paid at the same or similar salary as a vet like DiCaprio.

No, she’s not a draw at all. Women hate her and men forgot who she is. They would more recognize Scarlett-Joe Hanson. Unlike DiCaprio who is a draw for both men and women.

by Anonymousreply 11November 22, 2021 9:55 PM

I'm surprised Leo only got 5 million more.

by Anonymousreply 12November 22, 2021 10:22 PM

She is very much still a thing with the dudebro crowd. She is famous, rich, hag big tits and thinks nothing of being a slutty.

by Anonymousreply 13November 22, 2021 11:11 PM

Does JLaw making 25m which is her predecessor's biggest paycheck get her closer the queen's crown?

by Anonymousreply 14November 25, 2021 5:09 AM

Link to this?

Leo alongside Tom Cruise may be the last few Hollywood stars who have bankable names that get butts into theaters.

by Anonymousreply 15November 25, 2021 5:23 AM

She gets top billing in the film?

People have been saying she should go for supporting actress which made me think her role is smallish.

So Leo is the star of the film but let her have top billing?

(I was staring at the poster the other day trying to decide if Meryl's font size was as big as the other two's. I couldn't tell.)

by Anonymousreply 16November 25, 2021 5:23 AM

“Laverne & Shirley billing”...she must be a DLer.

by Anonymousreply 17November 25, 2021 5:25 AM

R16 her role is huge. And she is gonna get nominated for Best Actress. She's fantastic. Leo is too and I can't stand him.

by Anonymousreply 18November 25, 2021 5:25 AM

Jennifer Lawrence is in no way supporting.. WTF

by Anonymousreply 19November 25, 2021 5:27 AM

I'm happy for Jennifer. She's basically the female version of Leo. Came from a trashy background but rose to be a major Hollywood star. Hopefully, sh won't become disgusting and lazy as he's become.

by Anonymousreply 20November 25, 2021 5:27 AM

Women don't hate Lawrence. They used to love her, but then she got overexposed in both meanings of the word, so her popularity tanked a bit, but she's not hated. Now that she's been out of sight for a bit, I wouldn't be surprised if she made a comeback. Leo has an excellent track record for picking movies, so I think she's got a shot with this one.

by Anonymousreply 21November 25, 2021 5:31 AM

Thanks for that evidence-laden response r11.

by Anonymousreply 22November 25, 2021 5:33 AM

Her main fanbase was teenage girls and young women because of The Hunger Games. Straight dudes found her hot too. Regardless, she got a lot of critical acclaim for her acting talent prior because of Winter's Bone. She definitely forced heavily onto people's throats in the mid-2010s and she showed her trailer trash background a bit. She was smart to take a break (attention spans are short nowadays) and a comeback is due. She came a long way since doing that crappy Bill Engvall sitcom as a teen.

by Anonymousreply 23November 25, 2021 5:34 AM

R21 totally. Most people i know like her and wanna see her in movies. That should be the goal.. People wanna see you in movies. I like to see Jennifer Lawrence in movies.

by Anonymousreply 24November 25, 2021 5:34 AM

R8 because it DID bother her, and that's why she said it, but then tried to obfuscate it under *but I'm really grateful and think it was probably fair".

Guessing she's had some discussions with her agent about coming across as a difficult sow in her interviews. Part of the reason no one wanted to hire her for a bit was because she was both overexposed and annoying.

by Anonymousreply 25November 25, 2021 5:35 AM

There is absolutely no one in Hollywood that doesn't wanna hire Jennifer Lawrence.

by Anonymousreply 26November 25, 2021 5:38 AM

R26 perhaps now, but rewind back to the "Mother!" days when she had worn out her welcome.

by Anonymousreply 27November 25, 2021 5:40 AM

No, even then anyone would want her in their movie. She is superstar Julia Roberts, Sandra Bullock level. She already passed the Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman area.

by Anonymousreply 28November 25, 2021 5:48 AM

R28 = J. L.'s publicist

by Anonymousreply 29November 25, 2021 5:50 AM

I'm not on Jlaw's team but please tell me who is the biggest female star not named Sandra Bullock or Julia Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 30November 25, 2021 5:54 AM

Too bad she's 20 years too old for Leo. They'd make a cute couple.

by Anonymousreply 31November 25, 2021 5:57 AM

Nah. Leo looks nasty as hell. Jennifer is out of his league.

by Anonymousreply 32November 25, 2021 6:00 AM

I would love to see JLaw, Julia Roberts and Meryl Streep tear themselves to shreds in a movie.

by Anonymousreply 33November 25, 2021 6:00 AM

I haven’t seen everything she’s done, and I didn’t see that movie she won the Oscar for, because it just didn’t appeal to me at all.

But in everything I’ve ever seen her in — and that includes Mother — she is startlingly good. She was in American Hustle for like ten minutes and stole the show.

by Anonymousreply 34November 25, 2021 6:01 AM

She’s irritating, but if she’s billed first, she should be paid more than Leo. She is always trying to act blase about her success. Definitely fucked Weinstein.

by Anonymousreply 35November 25, 2021 6:02 AM

I did not expect DLU

by Anonymousreply 36November 25, 2021 6:03 AM

She has four Oscar nominations already. Was that a record to get so many at such a young age?

She even got one for that movie where she invented a mop. I forgot about that one.

by Anonymousreply 37November 25, 2021 6:03 AM

It's so awesome. Leo and Jennifer are both sure thins

by Anonymousreply 38November 25, 2021 6:03 AM

things*

by Anonymousreply 39November 25, 2021 6:04 AM

She is not the first nor the last to fuck for roles. We all know Leo got on his knees too.

by Anonymousreply 40November 25, 2021 6:05 AM

Leo is first billed in the advertising and I guess she gets first billing on the actual film.

(or is it Laverne and Shirley where one is higher than the other? I forget how that she was billed. I remember Cheers having that odd billing. Didn't The Towering Inferno start it? On the AMC Behind the Scenes they did a whole segment on it. Steve McQueen was lower on the left, Newman higher on the right. Then William Holden got into it and was one step down from both of them but had to be above Miss Dunaway's billing.)

Miss Dunaway's evening gown should have got top billing. That was just stunning and gave the best performance.

by Anonymousreply 41November 25, 2021 6:06 AM

She is getting nominanted. She nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 42November 25, 2021 6:08 AM

She did seem like she knew or was advised that she had too much success too soon and needed to drop out of sight a bit.

With Joy (the mop movie) she really didn't do much publicity during the Oscar season and at the actual awards she arrived on the red carpet at the very last minute and hurried into the theater barely being noticed by the press.)

by Anonymousreply 43November 25, 2021 6:08 AM

Surely that's a Newman/McQueen?

by Anonymousreply 44November 25, 2021 6:08 AM

She is well liked in the industry. Its not just Harvey. A lot of people like Jennifer Lawrence. And Millenial dudebros that hacked into her phone are still obsessed with her. We're on DL. But lots of people respect her.

by Anonymousreply 45November 25, 2021 6:13 AM

She does seem to attract a lot of annoying basement dwelling straight fanboys that jack off over her.

by Anonymousreply 46November 25, 2021 6:19 AM

Terms of Endearment has Shirley top billed on the actual film but Winger gets top billing on the DVD cover and I assume in posters at the time.

by Anonymousreply 47November 25, 2021 6:20 AM

There was publicity (I guess she started it) about her being the lowest paid in American Hustle.

Cooper, Bale, Adams were all bigger names than her then but even Jeremy Renner got more money which didn't seem fair since she had brought in all that money for The Hunger Games movies.

by Anonymousreply 48November 25, 2021 6:23 AM

I don't think it would sit too well with her predecessor for her to have a second Oscar before her. Lawrence a second Oscar before La Roberts?

by Anonymousreply 49November 25, 2021 6:25 AM

JLaw needs a hit. Leo has a good record of hits and can greenlight movies. That's why she's not complaining. If the film succeeds, it will help her bankability. But right now, Leo is the bankable one.

by Anonymousreply 50November 25, 2021 6:26 AM

Lawrence is a bigger name than Cooper, Bale and Adams no?

by Anonymousreply 51November 25, 2021 6:27 AM

She is so good in DLU. She will be Oscar nominated

by Anonymousreply 52November 25, 2021 6:28 AM

Bale I don't think so. Amy Adams and Bradley Cooper probably.

by Anonymousreply 53November 25, 2021 6:29 AM

Only on the DL is JLaw not considered a huge star.

To the general population? For white females in the 30-35 range? It's ScaJo, JLaw and maybe Emma Stone.

They tend to not follow trends or care what bitchy gay guys think.

by Anonymousreply 54November 25, 2021 6:30 AM

back then she wasn't really r51 She was known for The Hunger Games but I would assume she had already signed a contract for American Hustle before Silver Linings Playbook and the Oscar happened. (AH came out the next year so was probably filming around the time she won the Oscar.)

by Anonymousreply 55November 25, 2021 6:30 AM

oh and Hunger Games was a genre film based on popular books. I don't think people really thought she was why people were seeing the films.

by Anonymousreply 56November 25, 2021 6:31 AM

Christian Bale is a very big star but at this point in time Jennifer Lawrence is far bigger star. She just got $25 for a movie. Julia Roberts is beside herself somewhere right now.

by Anonymousreply 57November 25, 2021 6:39 AM

R8 P-U-B-L-I-C-I-T-Y

by Anonymousreply 58November 25, 2021 6:42 AM

If she gets 25 dollars, what does Joey Lawrence get?

by Anonymousreply 59November 25, 2021 6:44 AM

She's done well for herself, she can act, has charisma and is an A-list star. She minds her business too. Why is she so polarizing? I feel it's so easy to ignore her. It's not like she's an attention whore like Kim Kardashian or Taylor Swift. J-Law at last lets her work speak for itself.

by Anonymousreply 60November 25, 2021 6:48 AM

How does she always seem to get Oscar type roles? Why is this bitch always an Oscar wonder? Is sh the new Meryl Streep?

by Anonymousreply 61November 25, 2021 6:49 AM

R60 JLaw got caught fucking via some hacks, that's why she's so polarizing.

Oh, and in the pics? She even seemed to enjoy her nasty acts. The hussy!

DLers don't want our women to be easy tartlets. We're a prim and proper bunch round here these parts.

by Anonymousreply 62November 25, 2021 6:52 AM

Prediction: Leo, Jennifer, Meryl and Jonah Hill are all getting nominated for DLU. And Cate Blanchett is getting nominated for Nightmare Alley.

by Anonymousreply 63November 25, 2021 6:58 AM

[quote] I was number one on the call sheet, so….” Lawrence says with a laugh during a sit-down with Vanity Fair, on newsstands Nov. 30. “And I thought [the credits] should reflect that. Leo was very gracious about it

We also can blame Panface when this flops

by Anonymousreply 64November 25, 2021 6:58 AM

How does this bitch constantly get nominated for Oscars?

by Anonymousreply 65November 25, 2021 7:02 AM

She actually deserves this one.

by Anonymousreply 66November 25, 2021 7:02 AM

Playing roles for 40 years old when she was still in her 20s was a mistake.

by Anonymousreply 67November 25, 2021 7:02 AM

best movie of the year.

by Anonymousreply 68November 25, 2021 7:03 AM

3 of her Oscar nominations were for David O. Russell films.

He liked her and that was all that mattered.

by Anonymousreply 69November 25, 2021 7:04 AM

I thought Ginny was #1 in Billing.

by Anonymousreply 70November 25, 2021 7:04 AM

She is actually really good in Don't Look Up

by Anonymousreply 71November 25, 2021 7:06 AM

Her casting in Silver Linings Playbook changed the whole film and made it a bit odd.

In the book the woman is like 40 and the guy like 33. When she starts stalking him when he jogs he's repulsed and wants her to stop. Then he gets to know her.

In the movie it is so odd. He's depressed because his wife left him then some beautiful 22 year old becomes infatuated with him . Most men would have totally forgotten about the wife and just been delighted with the 22 year old.

by Anonymousreply 72November 25, 2021 7:06 AM

LOL...if "JLaw" is such a huge star, then where are her fans when she needs them? These hoardes of mystery fans certainly aren't showing up in enough numbers to warrant her earning $25m a film...that number seems....unlikely.

Her biggest hits are the Hunger Game films when she DID star in but those films helped make her a star...she didn't bring the star power at that point. Her other biggest hits are the X-Men films, another example of the title being the star in an ensemble package of name actors.

After that, you get her non-franchise films and none of them are huge blockbusters. Passengers did ok. Worldwide gross of $300m is nice but in today's terms....meh.

Silver Linings Playbook and American Hustle were succesful arty dramas that were profitable and sucessful but again, they were ensemble films with multiple stars. All her other films are low grossers...some might be profitable just because the budgets were super small (she has several indies on her resume) but nothing like a major hit.

She's NEVER carried a hit film solely on her name.

by Anonymousreply 73November 25, 2021 7:08 AM

R72 Lawrence really won for Winter's Bone which if you haven't seen is worth a watch. Interesting story, great characters and a powerful Jodie Foster youth type performance.

by Anonymousreply 74November 25, 2021 7:11 AM

R73 you do know she has an Academy Award?

by Anonymousreply 75November 25, 2021 7:13 AM

She is a good actress. She doesn't need to be a big star anyway. Having an acclaimed filmography is more important towards being a serious actress than a "movie star". Demi Moore, Sandra Bullock and Julia Roberts were movie stars but nobody takes them as actresses on par with Kathy Bates, Meryl Streep, Frances McDormand, etc.

To be honest, Leo only became a big star because of Titanic. If that didn't happen, he would still have a career based on his talent but he's one of the rare movie stars that had serious talent. Compare him to Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise and Matt Damon who range from serviceable to good. Leo had phenomenal performances (though I think he seriously declined with age).

by Anonymousreply 76November 25, 2021 7:14 AM

Why on earth would you shell out $55m for DiCaprio and Lawrence plus even more money for Jonah Hill, Meryl Streep, Cate Blanchett, Chris Evans, Tyler Perry, Mark Rylance, and Timotay? I mean, potentially $75m+ just for the cast of what is essentially a Netflix movie and one being labeled as a satire (and we know how well satire plays in Mittel Amerika).

Netflix is obviously a money laundering outfit. Or, they just spend ridiculous amounts of money on shit and get huge tax breaks.

by Anonymousreply 77November 25, 2021 7:18 AM

r74 I don't mean to say she didn't deserve it for SLP. She's good in the film even if the casting is odd. A cop's widow at 22?

Yeah she won for Winter's Bone, being in a franchise that made her well known and the competition was weak. Emmaurle Riva I guess was good but (didn't see it and I don't think others did until it was too late in the voting)

Jessica Chastain was the big competition and she was sort of bland in Zero Dark Thirty which is annoying since it is such a good film.

Naomi Watts was just average and Que Wallis was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 78November 25, 2021 7:20 AM

Why are people surprised she's up of r another Oscar? She gets the first pick of all the good roles. And can have anyone she wants.

by Anonymousreply 79November 25, 2021 7:23 AM

Lawrence, Kidman, Gaga, Stewart

Wow people may actually watch. They have heard of some of the nominees for Best Actress rather than that woman who did stuff in a bucket and greasy Viola.

by Anonymousreply 80November 25, 2021 7:26 AM

I think Kidman and Lawrence are the only sure things. Kidman is amazing. And JLaw is so good.

by Anonymousreply 81November 25, 2021 7:29 AM

Yeah Kidman and Lawrence are probably locked since the films will get many nominations.

There's a lot of competition for the last three spots.

Gaga's film though debuted pretty strong last night. Almost matching a Disney film that is expected to be the big box office hit of the week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82November 25, 2021 7:34 AM

Don't Look Up is gonna get 5 acting nominations Leo, JLaw, Cate Blanchett, Meryl Streep and Jonah Hill

by Anonymousreply 83November 25, 2021 7:43 AM

It's amazing Jlaw always gets awards caliber roles. She blew me away this.

by Anonymousreply 84November 25, 2021 7:50 AM

R73, you realize you just listed almost all of JLaws films:

Hunger Games franchise

X Men franchise

Passengers

Silver Linings Playbook (Oscar win)

American Hustle (Oscar Nominated)

The films you didn't mention:

Mother and Red Sparrow which both tanked.

Joy and Winter's Bone, Oscar nominated for both and did fine.

So, she has two misses. I guess these are the two films you're referring to that her fans didn't support? Okay. I guess. But that happens with every star.

She also has: Four Oscar noms. Two hit franchises. Some big unlikely BO hits. Some films that were just okay. Not bad for a career that's only a decade plus long.

And it seems she's gonna get another nom and have another hit on her hand with Don't Look Up.

I would say that means she's a damn big star. Like it or not.

by Anonymousreply 85November 25, 2021 7:52 AM

R37 Yeah all Harvey Weinstein movies who was a hard Oscar campaigner.

She hasn’t done shit since.

Her career was over the moment Weinstein went to prison. He was behind “Silver Linings Playbook”, “American Hustle”, and “Joy”.

You know why her movie “Serena” in 2014 with Bradley Cooper tanked after doing 2 hit movies Oscar nominated with him in 2012 and 2013? Cause Weinstein wasn’t involved in it.

by Anonymousreply 86November 25, 2021 7:52 AM

R85 “Passengers” performed pretty poorly. There were tons of articles written about how 2 popular franchise actors were incapable of making an original hit movie.

“Passengers” was the realization super hero actors can’t sell tickets outside of franchises.

Wasn’t it all over Datalounge? Lol.

And Jennifer Lawrence proved that with “Mother” and “Red Sparrow”.

by Anonymousreply 87November 25, 2021 7:57 AM

You do realize she is 31 and her way to a 5th Oscar nomination and is a co favorite with Nicole Kidman. Watch the performance. She's fucking great.

by Anonymousreply 88November 25, 2021 8:02 AM

If you start from 2015 — 6 years ago.

“Joy” was a flop.

“X-Men: Apocalypse“ was a hit for Fox. Billion dollar comic book movie? No. But ok.

“Passengers” was a flop. $100 million in the US on a $150 million budget. It did $300 worldwide but that’s definitely not how the movie studio looked at it.

“Mother!” was a big flop.

“Red Sparrow” was a dud. I think it broke even but still branded a flop.

And the last X-Men movie “Dark Phoenix” was a flop.

So you guys have to be talking about pre-2015 to be talking about how big of a star Jennifer Lawrence is.

by Anonymousreply 89November 25, 2021 8:04 AM

R88 And you do realize how influential Harvey Weinstein was with the Academy?

by Anonymousreply 90November 25, 2021 8:04 AM

You guys are talking Nicole Kidman and Julia Roberts.

She’s more like a modern day Demi Moore. Hot in the early 90’s and fizzled out by the end of the decade.

by Anonymousreply 91November 25, 2021 8:06 AM

Without Harvey she is about to get yet another Oscar nomination.

by Anonymousreply 92November 25, 2021 8:07 AM

It's sweet that Jennifer Lawrence's agent and publicist have the time to root for her here!

by Anonymousreply 93November 25, 2021 8:08 AM

R93 you do know she is probably getting nominated for an Oscar again right?

by Anonymousreply 94November 25, 2021 8:11 AM

R94 You better go convince the "experts" at GoldDerby....none of them have her on their Top 5 lists right now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95November 25, 2021 8:17 AM

Which Sweetheart will get a second Oscar first? Sandra, Jennifer or Julia?

by Anonymousreply 96November 25, 2021 8:18 AM

Ok. By the way those predictions go way back to Sept. I'm sure Netflix is deeply concerned Jlaw may lose a nom to Halle Berry for whatever that is.

by Anonymousreply 97November 25, 2021 8:21 AM

How have so many of you seen DLU already?

by Anonymousreply 98November 25, 2021 8:22 AM

Not 1 mention from any of the 23 critics of JLaw in Best or Supporting Actress Categories

by Anonymousreply 99November 25, 2021 8:38 AM

I know R98!

It's the one movie I really want to see. But it's not out on Netflix until December.

by Anonymousreply 100November 25, 2021 8:44 AM

R28 Nicole Kidman is way bigger star these days than Julia Roberts. Kids don't even know who Julia Roberts is. Some lady that was big in the 90s. When was the last time that she acted in something memorable? 15 years ago?

by Anonymousreply 101November 25, 2021 8:56 AM

Julia Roberts has had way more huge hits than Nicole Kidman. And, Roberts was the star lead in many of her films.

Kidman has never been the star lead in any huge hit film...not like Roberts has. But, Roberts did all those romcoms and thrillers, something that Kidman doesn't really do.

Which doesn't mean she's not a star but very few women get to be THE headliner in mainstream films nowadays. And, they have to do mostly crap to earn that status.

by Anonymousreply 102November 25, 2021 9:03 AM

And, how many "kids" are eagerly awaiting the next Nicole Kidman film? To most kids, she's the old lady in Aquaman.

by Anonymousreply 103November 25, 2021 9:06 AM

[quote] she's the old lady in Aquaman.

But the WIG is young. YOUNG! YOUNG!

by Anonymousreply 104November 25, 2021 9:08 AM

R102 So was Katherine Hepburn. But we are talking about 2021. Not 1990s. Does Julia even acts anymore? I thought she retired 15 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 105November 25, 2021 9:18 AM

I find her a little blousy. I little... obvious in her approach to men. She needs a firmer bra!

by Anonymousreply 106November 25, 2021 9:18 AM

I think we all know her success is not due to actual talent, but to an occult pact she signed with Moloch, in return for presenting babies for him to devour.

That's why she has such odd pauses between her films - while filming, she gets knocked up by some guy, gives birth (she carries flat so people can't really tell she's pregnant) and then has an unholy sacrifice wherein she presents the baby to the god and watches, hungrily, as its soul is devoured. Moloch heals her and she begins the cycle again.

The next day, she starts filming her new project, already scoping out a new man to provide her with the seed to produce her next soul-sacrifice. It's also why she gets progressively worse in films the longer the shooting goes on, and why's she's best in smaller, compressed roles.

It's shocking and horrific, but that's Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 107November 25, 2021 1:16 PM

You can't coast on past glories. Kidman is more relevant than Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 108November 25, 2021 3:25 PM

R108 you are really a fucking idiot. You can't coast on being the biggest female movie star in the world for over a decade? I guess Marylin Monroe, the Hepburns, and other major stars who never attained the same achievements should never be revered. You are quite dim. And no. Even globally Julia Roberts Q rating is far beyond Nicole's. And the accomplishments aren't even in the same neighborhood which I'm sure even Nicole would acknowledge. Are you like 19?

by Anonymousreply 109November 26, 2021 5:23 AM

Roberts is more of a personality actress. She's always sort of a variation of Julia Roberts. The star wattage. The likeability.

Kidman started out as a glamour girl but has really become a transformational actress. She disappears into her characters. Roberts doesn't try that. Lots of great movie stars didn't.

Comparing them is kind of pointless since they are such different types.

by Anonymousreply 110November 26, 2021 5:28 AM

By success standards alone Julia Roberts is one of the most if not the most successful actresses ever in Hollywood. That is not just a casual mention. That's the reason so many others respect her. As someone mentioned on another thread she has the Madonna magic that when she walks into a room EVERYONE mentions it.

by Anonymousreply 111November 26, 2021 5:34 AM

Netflix is willing to spend anything. I am sure they paid Meryl $10 million.

by Anonymousreply 112November 26, 2021 5:36 AM

Doubt it. The budget on DLU is listed as 75m. and we know 25 went to Jlaw and 30 to Leo

by Anonymousreply 113November 26, 2021 5:38 AM

R98 i saw screener. The movie is actually out of this world outrageous. I loved Wag The Dog too. But this one is way better. Career best for McKay and I LOVED The Big Short. This is unique and gripping. Leo and Law are not only getting nominated but I think both are contending.

by Anonymousreply 114November 26, 2021 5:41 AM

With Lawrence, it’s unknown if she can carry a film anymore on her own. This is a star ensemble. I personally would only watch this because of Leo and Meryl. If it was Jennifer and Paul Rudd, I wouldn’t watch.

by Anonymousreply 115November 26, 2021 5:46 AM

She's actually very good in it but i don't get the Supporting talk. She's clearly a lead. Her name is above the title.

by Anonymousreply 116November 26, 2021 5:49 AM

I think Jonah Hill is going to win Supporting Actor. He's the only one (hard to believe) generating much excitement in the category.

I don't think Lawrence will win. Leo might for climate reasons that he's active in.

(but she could contend I just think she's too young for a second one and the category is so full of other women)

by Anonymousreply 117November 26, 2021 5:50 AM

None of the awards sites are predicting any acting nominations for this film.

by Anonymousreply 118November 26, 2021 5:52 AM

Loved Jonah Hill in this. I like Jen too. Liked Leo way more than I expected to. He does a decent job. They will all get Oscar nominations but I don't think any can really win except Hill.

by Anonymousreply 119November 26, 2021 5:52 AM

R118 which ones do you look at? I only know people started watching DLU this week. I saw it Tuesday. I don't think buzz is getting to your sites yet.

by Anonymousreply 120November 26, 2021 5:54 AM

Can it win Best Picture?

by Anonymousreply 121November 26, 2021 5:54 AM

Not on Gold Derby, or Awards Daily, but it all seems pretty fluid now.

by Anonymousreply 122November 26, 2021 5:59 AM

I am r93 and I hate an actress, probably because she’s had dick I’ve always craved. So anyone who likes her must be her agent or publicist.

by Anonymousreply 123November 26, 2021 6:00 AM

I think it could be nominated for best picture, if they are nominating ten.

by Anonymousreply 124November 26, 2021 6:02 AM

I don't know about winning. But it is most definitely getting nominated for Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 125November 26, 2021 6:04 AM

those sites seem really behind the buzz this year for some reason r122

by Anonymousreply 126November 26, 2021 6:10 AM

I just enjoyed that someone still knows how to do satire. Satire is lost art. Shows think they are doing satire but they are not. Ryan Murphy a lot of times thinks he is doing satire but is doing a soap opera instead but no one gets that. This is high end satire. And all the actors get it which makes it fun. It's fun movie.

by Anonymousreply 127November 26, 2021 6:11 AM

The fucking cast is insane. Everywhere you look it's the best of everything. How could anyone disappoint.

by Anonymousreply 128November 26, 2021 6:18 AM

Lawrence got 25 million for this. Roberts got her record 25 for Mona Lisa Smile. I wonder how this sits with Ms. Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 129November 26, 2021 6:24 AM

I thought Claire Danes starred opposite LDC in R+J? Am I missing something?

by Anonymousreply 130November 26, 2021 6:31 AM

She did r130. I'm confused about what is confusing you. Explain and I'll try to help.

by Anonymousreply 131November 26, 2021 6:33 AM

I'm no longer confused R130. Thanks. I re-read the OP and realised she was talking about Don't Look Up. I missed that the first time.

by Anonymousreply 132November 26, 2021 6:39 AM

So everyone agrees Miss Lawerence is going to another prom right?

by Anonymousreply 133November 26, 2021 6:42 AM

[Quote] you are really a fucking idiot. You can't coast on being the biggest female movie star in the world for over a decade? I guess Marylin Monroe, the Hepburns, and other major stars who never attained the same achievements should never be revered.

Legacies have to be maintained. Marilyn's certainly has. Roberts is not on that level.

by Anonymousreply 134November 26, 2021 7:06 AM

Not on a mythic level of course not. But look at the actual achievement. Monroe is an icon but no actress has ever had a box office career quite like Julia Roberts. That has never happened before. No woman has or will ever drive box office like that again.

by Anonymousreply 135November 26, 2021 7:16 AM

Can we just get to JLaw America's current Sweetheart potentially getting another Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 136November 26, 2021 7:20 AM

Jesus....do paid shills even TRY to not sound like paid shills anymore? How many freelance publicists are on here trying to earn their $16.50 a post?

NO ONE is buzzing about this movie. Professional movie critics/pundits are not talking much about this film. The main clip they've shown is really quite dreadful.

It's not winning any Oscars. It seems unlikely it will even get any nominations.

And, it's a pretty weak year film wise. If you can't get any traction this year, then you really suck.

by Anonymousreply 137November 26, 2021 7:24 AM

R33 Absolutely delicious

by Anonymousreply 138November 26, 2021 7:30 AM

R137 I personally know 6 people who saw it this week.

by Anonymousreply 139November 26, 2021 7:40 AM

Stepmom, Mary Reilly, My Best Freind's Wedding, Notting Hill, Conspiracy Theory, Runaway Bride, Michael Collins, Mona Lisa Smile, The Mexican, Dying Young, Sleeping with the Enemy, Oceans 11&12, The Pelican Brief, I Love Trouble, Eat Play Love, . . .some filmography! Time hasn't been kind to the large amount of trivial, forgettable drek she appeared in.

by Anonymousreply 140November 26, 2021 7:42 AM

^Julia Roberts

by Anonymousreply 141November 26, 2021 7:47 AM

I think JLaw has finally usurped our Julia. Bitch is gonna get 30 in no time.

by Anonymousreply 142November 26, 2021 7:52 AM

R140 that filmography produced the biggest movie star of our generation and a couple of billion dollars. And added to popular culture.

by Anonymousreply 143November 26, 2021 8:03 AM

R109 You are an idiot. Julia Roberts hasn't been in anything worth mentioning in the last 20 years. She's the thing of the past. Does she even act anymore? Why even bring her up when talking about today's actresses like Nicole, Sandra and Jennifer? Cause she once was the biggest star on the planet? It's not 1998. anymore.

by Anonymousreply 144November 26, 2021 8:08 AM

R28 bless your heart!

by Anonymousreply 145November 26, 2021 11:05 AM

Just saw this movie. I’m tired of Streep - Yet she was excellent. Jjennifer-(not a major name for me) - is the lead & is great. Leo too. The jennifer hate is real here but not really anywhere else. See the movie then form an opinion.

by Anonymousreply 146November 26, 2021 11:31 AM

R144 agree. Julia is a faded star - don’t you think she faded her own career? Had kids, tried other types of parts, etc.? Where else could she go with it? I just think she had the career anyone would have liked to have.

by Anonymousreply 147November 26, 2021 11:37 AM

R146 How did you saw it? It's not out yet.

by Anonymousreply 148November 26, 2021 1:59 PM

R143 Her films like most of Brad Pitt's are Star Drek! No one, certainly not academics discuss her films. She was well-sold like a Big Mac and a certain female audience ate the junk up!

by Anonymousreply 149November 26, 2021 5:20 PM

R129, Miss Roberts wins when adjusted for ya gurl inflation.

by Anonymousreply 150November 26, 2021 5:27 PM

No one outside of the fraus of DL gives a shit about this walking mattress.

Her "Break" was because she didn't want to answer questions about Weinstein. She may not be intellectually smart (middle school dropout she is), but she is street smart.

And no one is hungering for a Jennifer Lawrence comeback. That's PR driven bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 151November 26, 2021 5:27 PM

Roberts' 25 million dollars paycheck 20 years back, when adjusted for inflation and current boom of entertainment industry salaries is now worth more than 50 million dollars.

And I am still cackling at the suggestion that Nicole Kidman is more relevant than her. LMAO. Julia is being paid more than 20 million dollars for her next with Sean Penn. Call me when any of her contemporaries make more than 5 million a project these days.

by Anonymousreply 152November 26, 2021 5:34 PM

This is shaping up to be the lamest oscars in years.

Hopefully Kidman and Gaga get in. Otherwise you aren't drawing flies with that list.

by Anonymousreply 153November 26, 2021 5:38 PM

R152 This is 21st century. Newsflash: Julia isn't relevant like she was 25 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 154November 26, 2021 8:19 PM

R154 if she wasnt relevant she wouldnt get paid 20 million dollars for a movie, you fucker. Thats probably 5 timea more than what Meryl gets paid or 10 times more than what Kidman gets paid.

by Anonymousreply 155November 26, 2021 8:41 PM

I thought the title of the thread was Jennifer Lawrence-I Was Paid LESS Than Ginny In Billing!

by Anonymousreply 156November 26, 2021 8:50 PM

Streep made $24 million just a couple of years ago. Julia is well paid but that’s mainly coasting off past performance.

by Anonymousreply 157November 26, 2021 8:51 PM

Julia's been coasting for AGES, but what she achieved at the height of her career I don't think has been replicated. She defined IT GIRL and got paid doing it. But no one stays on top forever and she seems content with her life and her mountain of money. No rumors of her having Johnny Depp's spending issues as far as I know.

by Anonymousreply 158November 26, 2021 9:00 PM

R155 In 2003 she was paid $25M for Mona Lisa Smile remember that smash hit? And in 2010 $10M for Eat Pray Shit. Since 2010 she's been in Ben is Back, Secret in Their Eyes, Larrry Crowne and August Onsage County. How the fuck is she currently getting $25M?

by Anonymousreply 159November 26, 2021 9:01 PM

Jennifer Lawrence is very consistent in giving strong performances, even in movies that are not box office hits. She was great in "Mother" and "Red Sparrow", her two bog flops, if you want to look at just credible acting. As others have said, Julia Roberts and Sandra Bullock are movie starts, but I think Jennifer Lawrence will ultimately be known as a serious actress like Meryl or the less beloved Glen. You can always count on these actresses to give solid performances regardless of the material.

by Anonymousreply 160November 26, 2021 9:06 PM

With Julia (now old enough to play Jennifer Lawrence’s mother), they are paying for her brand and hopes that the movie draws attention and money.

Her last big hit was Eat, Pray, Love, all the way back in 2010.

She was not nominated for Ben is Back or Homecoming.

by Anonymousreply 161November 26, 2021 9:07 PM

R161 where do you get your info? Any links?

by Anonymousreply 162November 26, 2021 9:16 PM

I saw this yesterday and while I enjoyed it I thought it was way too long (2 hours 25 minutes!) and not as strong as it could have been. Lawrence is good but her character doesn’t have much to do the last half hour or so. Leo definitely gets the flashier lead role.

And this will make me sound very SJW but will thrill most Dataloungers: it’s a very white movie. The few actors of color are relegated to very small supporting roles, mostly negative. Even Rob Morgan as a fellow scientist helping Leo and JLaw doesn’t do much aside from encouraging the white leads to save the world. Just stood out to me.

by Anonymousreply 163November 26, 2021 10:37 PM

r159 Here read this and eat crow, you stupid cunt. Julia Roberts is paid as much as Jennifer Lawrence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164November 26, 2021 11:07 PM

25M vs 30M.

We are having the wrong conversation about these paychecks.

by Anonymousreply 165November 26, 2021 11:12 PM

Sorry R164 not eating crow. No one saw Ben is Back, Mona Lisa Smile, Larry Crowne,. . .and many of her movies like Runaway Bride, the Secret in Their Eyes have low user ratings on IMDB as well. All the money in the world can't make her relevant which was my point.

by Anonymousreply 166November 26, 2021 11:20 PM

[quote]I’m extremely fortunate and happy with my deal,” she says.

Then why bring it up?

by Anonymousreply 167November 26, 2021 11:26 PM

What's with all this Oscar talk, isn't it just a silly disaster film parody?

by Anonymousreply 168November 26, 2021 11:27 PM

R73

[quote] These hoardes of mystery fans certainly aren't showing up in enough numbers to warrant her earning $25m a film

Oh Dear.

by Anonymousreply 169November 26, 2021 11:28 PM

Girls, girls!

You're both overrated bitches whose glory days are behind you.

by Anonymousreply 170November 26, 2021 11:30 PM

r166 All the money ?You do realize that if she wan't big draw or relevant she'd not get paid that much, right ? Are you dumb ?

by Anonymousreply 171November 26, 2021 11:42 PM

Lawrence meh

by Anonymousreply 172November 26, 2021 11:54 PM

I cannot stand this overrated, cornfed looking bloated whore. I hope she doesn't a mount a comeback - ever since she's stolen Emmanuelle Riva's Oscar I've hated her, finding out about her Weinstein cocksucking was just the cherry on top. It's embarrassing what's considered a movie star or a prestige actress these days.

by Anonymousreply 173November 27, 2021 12:00 AM

R148 Hi! My bff does sound mixing for films. The little group of those folks prep the sound for theatre, streaming & - still!- dvd release. Got to see it at his - a promo copy. Watch it- it’s a good film.

by Anonymousreply 174November 27, 2021 12:05 AM

R166 yeah. Julia was nobody

by Anonymousreply 175November 27, 2021 12:30 AM

Paul Newman and Steve McQueen had this dispute on [italic]Towering Inferno[/italic], and compromised by having McQueen on the left but down, and Newman on the right but up - so both and neither could claim to have 'top billing'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176November 27, 2021 1:05 AM

Oh, that was already mentioned upthread.

by Anonymousreply 177November 27, 2021 1:09 AM

r43 I thought she dropped out of sight because she was Harvey's girl, he was responsible for her run of success, and she backed out of the spotlight so no one would question her about him. If all that was happening to all those other actresses then how was it she got so much from Harvey without at least letting him eat her bush.

by Anonymousreply 178November 27, 2021 1:11 AM

Very surprised so many here have their tongues stuck so far up J Law's ass.

She's been very good in some films but no one missed her. Mostly she hasn't fucked anything up and many find her attractive so they use her. It's been long enough since the Harvey mess that she's safe to come back out into the light again.

by Anonymousreply 179November 27, 2021 1:15 AM

I know the reporter asked her but how the fuck of you even question a 25 million dollar paycheck? Hey are you upset? i mean come on

by Anonymousreply 180November 27, 2021 1:15 AM

R30 she is currently a bigger movie star than both of them.

by Anonymousreply 181November 27, 2021 2:01 AM

R140 Speaking of horrible resumes, let's look at Streep's!!!

Lots of shit on there!!!!

by Anonymousreply 182November 27, 2021 4:35 AM

I don't see how that's an embarrassing filmography when there billions of dollars in sales there. Pretty Woman probably still make millions of dollars to this day.

by Anonymousreply 183November 27, 2021 4:37 AM

Julia is the McDonalds of film. Trash.

by Anonymousreply 184November 27, 2021 4:42 AM

Wait...there are people on this thread badmouthing Julia Roberts and Sandra Bullock's filmographies and trying to say that Jennifer Lawrence has a better filmography?

Jennifer Lawrence whose filmography is mostly full of shitty bad tentpole crap like The Hunger Games and X-Men and a couple of successful art house dramas.

Uh huh.

And, to be fair, both Julia Roberts and Sandra Bullock have a long list of shit movies on their resumes but those are long lists of shitty HITS, many of which they were the primary star of.

Again, Jennifer Lawrence has NEVER carried a film on her own. Not once. To be honest, I kind of doubt she has it in her.

She doesn't have that mega watt star thing you need to achieve that.

by Anonymousreply 185November 27, 2021 4:48 AM

Jennifer is a very very big star but if you even asked her Julia Roberts is the queen of this generation. Sandra even concedes that.

by Anonymousreply 186November 27, 2021 4:53 AM

Julia and Sandra are in their 50’s. I doubt either of then could carry a $100m grossing film anymore

by Anonymousreply 187November 27, 2021 4:53 AM

Which is why I said Jennifer has handidly taken the torch. She is America's most famous actress now which I doubt Roberts would ever concede or accept. Its hard when you have held that crown for so long. But we all know it's JLaw now.

by Anonymousreply 188November 27, 2021 4:58 AM

I also have yet to see Julia or Sandra reinvent themselves like Streep did in her 50’s. They always play the same character with the same hairstyle.

Jennifer is for the young generation.

by Anonymousreply 189November 27, 2021 5:02 AM

I'm sure its really hard for Julia Roberts because Jennifer Lawrence has finally usurped her. She's not the queen bitch anymore.

by Anonymousreply 190November 27, 2021 5:04 AM

Jennifer Lawrence has one film in the pipeline right now...some little indie thing called "Red, White and Water".

Sandra Bullock has two big films in the can for 2022...some nutty adventure thing with Channing Tatum which sounds a lot like "Romancing the Stone" and a big Brad Pitt thriller that takes place on a bullet train.

I wonder which one of these films has the greatest chance of grossing several hundred million dollars....?

Hmmmmm......

by Anonymousreply 191November 27, 2021 5:07 AM

Jennifer is having a baby. She is still fertile unlike post menopausal Julia and Sandra. And those movies sound awful.

by Anonymousreply 192November 27, 2021 5:11 AM

Julia Roberts is 54 and seems to have deliberately slowed down in filmmaking in recent years.

Maybe she is brooding about her career slowing down or maybe she's just rich and successful and enjoying being a mom.

I mean, if Julia Roberts wanted to do film and TV projects, she certainly could. Her agent could call up Netflix or HBO and say, "Julia is looking for a partner on her new big project" and they'd both be interested.

If Jennifer Lawrence did the same thing the first question they would ask, "Who would be co-starriong with you?"

by Anonymousreply 193November 27, 2021 5:11 AM

And Julia only has some film with Ali but sounds small. They should all just concede to JLaw. It's really ok.

by Anonymousreply 194November 27, 2021 5:13 AM

Absurd she was Oscar nominated for that tedious mop movie over the likes of Maggie Smith "The Lady In The Van" or Lily Tomlin "Grandma".

by Anonymousreply 195November 27, 2021 5:14 AM

Bullet Train sounds interesting actually....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196November 27, 2021 5:14 AM

No R171, incredulous that someone who hasn't headlined a hit film in decades and has churned out forgettable crap for decades is being paid that much.

by Anonymousreply 197November 27, 2021 5:15 AM

Julia is playing a divorced mom opposite George Clooney in a new “comedy”. The studio is really proud of the fact that it will only be in the movie theaters next year. Good luck Pretty Woman.

by Anonymousreply 198November 27, 2021 5:16 AM

Wow. I guess we've entered the Age of JLaw. She really is a larger film star than Julia Roberts and Meryl Streep now. 25 million is fucking amazing for a woman.

by Anonymousreply 199November 27, 2021 5:18 AM

I would be honored to play their daughter or grandkid.

by Anonymousreply 200November 27, 2021 5:19 AM

R197 I find her claim she made that much very hard to believe.

WHY would you pay her that much? She's NEVER ever shown any ability to open a film based on her name.

Her breakthrough role as Katfood Everclear in that Hungry Game movie is proof that she's a box office draw?

Really?

by Anonymousreply 201November 27, 2021 5:20 AM

The 25 million is verified

by Anonymousreply 202November 27, 2021 5:23 AM

I just don’t see Sandra or Julia as big stars anymore. Bird Box? Ben is Back?

by Anonymousreply 203November 27, 2021 5:25 AM

I don't understand how some of you idiots talk. Jennifer Lawerence is really fucking famous. She is like a dudebro icon. Young people fucking lover her.

by Anonymousreply 204November 27, 2021 5:27 AM

I think older people are delusional and think their old faves are still popular, despite no evidence of recent hits (talking especially about Julia). Sandra had Oceans Eight but that was terrible. Wonder was a sappy family film with Julia as mom. They both are on the decline.

by Anonymousreply 205November 27, 2021 5:32 AM

Lawrence is old news. She is a used tampon..

by Anonymousreply 206November 27, 2021 5:32 AM

Bird Box was a huge hit.

by Anonymousreply 207November 27, 2021 5:33 AM

R207 cut that shit out. Nothing is a huge hit streaming.. You know when you know a hit? When people get off their assess even during pandemic to go to the movies. A fucking sit at home watch is not a hit.

by Anonymousreply 208November 27, 2021 5:38 AM

Another terrible film from Sandra. How long will she go on with the same hairstyle?

by Anonymousreply 209November 27, 2021 5:38 AM

JLaw is stupid to have a baby now....she's in prime star territory. You don't waste your precious 30s squeezing out a rug rat.

She hasn't had a successful film since...2016? Covid put a damper on her career. Her only current film is a turd and she has an indie in the can. She's pregnant so mostly out of commission for a year or more.

She won't be getting any more $25m pay dates for a long time.

Maybe if she reprises her breakout role as Catfish Pepperdine.

by Anonymousreply 210November 27, 2021 5:40 AM

Jennifer Lawrence is now the bigger star and they both just have to accept it. Period.

by Anonymousreply 211November 27, 2021 5:40 AM

There is no way her getting 25 million sits well with Julia Roberts. It's like the end of her reign.

by Anonymousreply 212November 27, 2021 5:43 AM

If her career continues to sink, maybe she can convince the Powers That Be to combine her two hit franchises into one big blockbuster film:

X MEN HUNGRY GAMES!!!!

She can play both Catpee Everclear (from Hawngry Gaymes) and Raven Dark'n'Homely (from XMen the Reboots No one really cares much about) and they can face off in the Thunderdome of the Hawngry Yet Sexy X Games!

That'll cinch her another award she doesn't really deserve!

by Anonymousreply 213November 27, 2021 5:45 AM

R210, the early 30s are pretty much the last chance women have for conceiving and carrying a child to term without too much trouble. After that their fertility plunges off a cliff. Women in their mid-30s and older also have a higher risk for complications.

by Anonymousreply 214November 27, 2021 5:46 AM

She's probably gonna get another Oscar nomination. How is career on a decline?

by Anonymousreply 215November 27, 2021 5:47 AM

Everyone knows she is a casting couch whore.

by Anonymousreply 216November 27, 2021 5:49 AM

R215 An Oscar nomination for what?

Did she produce a short film up for consideration this year?

She's certainly not getting a nomination for Don't Look At This Awful Movie....other than her zealous fans on this thread and some paid shills, no one is predicting an Oscar for her for this year in that turkey of a movie.

by Anonymousreply 217November 27, 2021 5:51 AM

R175 it's you I don't like.

by Anonymousreply 218November 27, 2021 5:55 AM

R217 Lindsay honey most people that have actually seen the movie think she is probably getting nominated.

by Anonymousreply 219November 27, 2021 5:55 AM

Im sure the Academy also knows its probably a good idea if Jennifer Lawrence is nominated for an Oscar. Not that she doesn't deserve it. But come on

by Anonymousreply 220November 27, 2021 5:58 AM

The industry loves her because she is very reassuring to their long predictable business model of “Star Inhabits an Archetype and therefore Delivers Box Office,” and the industry loves the comfort of the familiar. She’s probably the last female star who rose to the top by coming up in the predictable manner that stars had come up in for decades. Everything was steadily changing with streaming and then COVID-19 hastened the change and now feature films have lost their luster and are now just another piece of content. All it will take will be a handful of “traditional formula” hits a year to convince the major studios that what they have done for years still works and the big paydays for a select few will continue.

by Anonymousreply 221November 27, 2021 6:00 AM

R123 Pretty Woman made her just like Basic Instinct made Sharon Stone and both have appeared in barely mediocre films at best in the last 2 decades.

by Anonymousreply 222November 27, 2021 6:02 AM

The big test for Julia and Sandra is whether their films next year do well. If either bomb, they will be paid less. They both are really crass commercial products but it will be telling if they have lost their BO magic.

by Anonymousreply 223November 27, 2021 6:04 AM

Julia Roberts' rise to stardom isn't even close to how Sharon Stone became famous for flashing her pussy. Sharon Stone was never a real movie star.

by Anonymousreply 224November 27, 2021 6:07 AM

I don't have anything against Jennifer Lawrence. I actually like her. The DL is about to lynch me.

by Anonymousreply 225November 27, 2021 6:09 AM

I like Lawrence as well, although I think she has been miscast and doesn't seem to have the most discerning judgment when it comes to picking projects that are right for her. It will be interesting to see where she goes now that she's in her 30s.

by Anonymousreply 226November 27, 2021 6:13 AM

R224 Both were put on the map by a hit movie and publicity and magazine covers kept their careers going.

by Anonymousreply 227November 27, 2021 6:14 AM

When the queen herself (Julia) says I think she's fabulous too and I love her too. You know you are sweetheart approved.

by Anonymousreply 228November 27, 2021 6:16 AM

I have to agree. I think Jennifer Lawrence is America's most favorite. I'm sorry but most dudebros think Sanda Bullock and Julia Roberts are like old actresses. They jerk off to JLaw.

by Anonymousreply 229November 27, 2021 6:22 AM

I'm not even a Julia Roberts fan but it's ridiculous to compare Sharon Stone and her.

JR has had more hits over a longer period of time.

Sharon Stone had Basic Instinct as her big hit, Casino as her big prestige film and that's pretty much it.

by Anonymousreply 230November 27, 2021 6:24 AM

Lol jlaw is yesterday's news, you guys must be 1000 years old if you still think j.law is beloved.

by Anonymousreply 231November 27, 2021 6:25 AM

Julia Roberts was America's Sweetheart for about 15years. I think JLaw officially gets the crown now. R231 huh. I have 10-15 youngsters in my family that love JLaw and think Sandra Bullock is an old lesbian actress.

by Anonymousreply 232November 27, 2021 6:29 AM

Scarlett Johansson, Margot Robbie and Emma Stone are all more popular and castable than Lawrence with far better resumes.

by Anonymousreply 233November 27, 2021 6:30 AM

How the fuck are their resumes better than 4 Oscar nominations And a fifth coming.

by Anonymousreply 234November 27, 2021 6:32 AM

Why the fuck would anyone would like the fake and annoying JLaw. Her “I am just like you”’ shtick was fucking cringeworthy.

by Anonymousreply 235November 27, 2021 6:32 AM

You do realize most people like her? Most Millenial dudebors.

by Anonymousreply 236November 27, 2021 6:35 AM

All the dudebors I know are always jackin' off to her classic films, like the Hawngry Gaymes and SeX-Men.

by Anonymousreply 237November 27, 2021 6:37 AM

R234

Emma Stone: 3 Oscar nominations/1 win

Films include: Superbad, Zombieland, The Help, The Amazing Spider Man 1 and 2, Birdman, La La Land, The Favourite, The Croods, Cruella, Upcoming films include a Cruella sequel and a new film with Yorgos Lanthimos, her director from The Favourite.

Margot Robbie: 2 Oscar nominations/0 wins

Films include: The Wolf of Wall Street, The Legend of Tarzan, Suicide Squad, I Tonya, Mary Queen of Scots, Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, Bombshell, The Suicide Squad. Her next three films are with Damien Chazelle, David O. Russell and Wes Anderson.

Jennifer Lawrence: Upcoming projects: some indie film. And, a baby.

by Anonymousreply 238November 27, 2021 6:52 AM

But she has FOUR Oscar nominations and a win you didn't even mention.

by Anonymousreply 239November 27, 2021 7:00 AM

[quote] Her breakthrough role as Katfood Everclear

This is why I love Datalounge. Only at Datalounge (and the defunct IMDb message boards, RIP) can you find this kind of bickering and bitchiness about female movie stars.

Never change, DL, never change!

by Anonymousreply 240November 27, 2021 7:12 AM

It’s Catpiss Everqueer

by Anonymousreply 241November 27, 2021 7:21 AM

[quote]Jennifer Lawrence: Upcoming projects: some indie film. And, a baby.

I suspect that the latter project means more to her than box office and critical accolades.

by Anonymousreply 242November 27, 2021 7:31 AM

Her child will get her original hideous nose.

by Anonymousreply 243November 27, 2021 7:34 AM

R155 What movie? Does she even act anymore? When was the last time someone saw a new Julia Roberts movie? If they are really paying her that much these days, then they are beyond insane.

by Anonymousreply 244November 27, 2021 8:41 AM

R161 "Her last big hit was Eat, Pray, Love" Really? Big hit?

by Anonymousreply 245November 27, 2021 8:42 AM

R217 How would you know? It's not like you saw the movie, dummy.

by Anonymousreply 246November 27, 2021 8:44 AM

[Quote] Her breakthrough role as Katfood Everclear

🤣🤣🤣

by Anonymousreply 247November 27, 2021 9:05 AM

I don't hate JLaw. She was everywhere for a while and became annoying. The Harvey stuff too - I have no doubt she benefitted from his, uh, attentions. But I liked her in American Hustle and a couple of other movies, so I'll probably see the Leo thing. She looks really good in the Vanity Fair profile.

The JR stans around here sound exactly like what I imagine Julia Roberts to be like in person: cunty and bitchy.

by Anonymousreply 248November 27, 2021 9:15 AM

Everyone in here taking about "millennial dudebros" is dead wrong. I'm 30 and no one I know or follow online gives a shit about her, her fame with straight guys peaked when her nudes leaked on reddit. People find her annoying at most, but the vast majority of people outside of Twitter fangurls do not pay her any mind.

by Anonymousreply 249November 27, 2021 3:25 PM

She has never had a hit herself.

Was paid a fortune, along with Chris Pratt, for "Passengers" which didn't become a hit and got shitty reviews.

Mother! was a divisive failure

Red Sparrow was forgettable and didn't turn much profit.

by Anonymousreply 250November 27, 2021 3:35 PM

R233 Yet they are all lacking charisma…all very mechanical.

by Anonymousreply 251November 27, 2021 4:03 PM

Many of the posters are missing the point: Jennifer Lawrence was created and became a movie star via the traditional industry path of which Julia Roberts was the modern template: a hit movie where her archetype was established. Since the silent era audiences have made movie stars out of actors they connected with and could assign a type to. Naturally, every decade—more or less—is derivative of the prior decade (so Roberts was a bigger star in 1991 than Lawrence was in 2011 because the landscape was different by then…no Internet to dilute fame in 1991. In my opinion, Lawrence was the last star made the old fashioned way. Hollywood is loathe to admit this no longer works…the Internet, social/IG, blogs, paparazzi photos, television, streaming, tiny screens, the death of movie theaters…it all has an effect on what being a movie star is today. So, the industry will latch onto Lawrence, even amidst diminishing box office returns.

by Anonymousreply 252November 27, 2021 4:24 PM

Hollywood tends to repeat itself and the big stars get what they want, up to a point. Do I think Jennifer and Julia are worth $25 million per film? No way, based on their recent performance. But CAA and some MBA type is justifying their price as potential revenue.

by Anonymousreply 253November 27, 2021 4:38 PM

R216, Lots of women are "casting couch whores." Many young women slept with Weinstein et al. Was Lawrence just lucky?

by Anonymousreply 254November 27, 2021 7:44 PM

R252 fabulous post

by Anonymousreply 255November 28, 2021 12:57 AM

Jennifer is a better actress than Julia, Sandra, Reese, Emma and Scarlett.

by Anonymousreply 256November 28, 2021 1:58 AM

I stopped reading due to all the bickering, did anyone call out R2 for adding 25 million and 30 million and getting 55 billion?

by Anonymousreply 257November 28, 2021 2:26 AM

R256 possibly

by Anonymousreply 258November 28, 2021 2:42 AM

In a period of 5 years 2011-2016 JLaw was Oscar nominated 4 times with 1 win. Pretty impressive.

by Anonymousreply 259November 28, 2021 3:00 AM

She's 30 and probably netting 5 Oscar nominations

by Anonymousreply 260November 28, 2021 3:05 AM

r256 She's not a better actress than Julia, you idiot

by Anonymousreply 261November 28, 2021 3:08 AM

Jennifer Lawrence is the Jane Fonda of her generation. They both have very similar careers in terms of roles, acclaim and Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 262November 28, 2021 3:10 AM

I've only seen 3 of these performances but if Nicole Kidman doesn't win the only other center is JLaw. I don't think Kristen Stewart is a serious contender. Or Lady Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 263November 28, 2021 3:13 AM

Why is anyone paying these ladies $25 million? For their name? Julia is over/over 50/unappealing and Jennifer has been out of the game for three years. It's mad money from Netflix.

Also, once you take out the agent's commission, legal fees, taxes, etc. they will end up with $10 million if they are lucky. Most of their movies turn out rotten, so it seems like a giant waste of money.

by Anonymousreply 264November 28, 2021 5:13 AM

JLaw was bought every single one of those Oscar nods by Swinestein. Why do her frau stans/PR shills keep bringing her Oscar nods out like it's impressive? I'm no Jane Fonda fan, but she's like Bette Davis compared to this annoying bitch.

by Anonymousreply 265November 28, 2021 2:36 PM

I'll give her the first three nominations but no fucking way did she deserve to WIN a golden globe and get an Oscar nom for that miracle mop movie. It was shite and her performance was laughable

by Anonymousreply 266November 28, 2021 3:14 PM

I’m so sick of her.

by Anonymousreply 267November 28, 2021 3:17 PM

R266 she didn’t deserve the nomination for American Hustle either. What a joke of a performance.

by Anonymousreply 268November 28, 2021 3:17 PM

Lol, where was j.law and dicaprio at the NYC critics nominations? Nowhere to be seen. So much for all the shilling in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 269December 4, 2021 9:55 AM

R215 probably is now definitely not.

by Anonymousreply 270May 8, 2022 12:08 AM

R175 doesn't know what relevant means

by Anonymousreply 271May 8, 2022 3:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!