Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Thank goodness Thanksgiving is almost history. What's for Christmas dinner?

Prime rib, medium rare with creamed horsie sauce, twice baked taters, fresh spinach made with garlic and a touch of olive oil, Caesar salad, crusty sourdough, my private stash of great red wine and a light, fluffy whipped cream cake with fresh fruit and champagne.

Now that's a dinner.

by Anonymousreply 58December 20, 2021 3:17 AM

No one's eating!

by Anonymousreply 1November 24, 2021 2:18 AM

Taters? That's worse than saying "delish" or "yummers," OP. Die in a grease fire, please.

by Anonymousreply 2November 24, 2021 2:24 AM

Christmas? Well, let's pull the leftovers out of the freezer from Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 3November 24, 2021 2:25 AM

I'm not even thinking about Christmas yet. I'll probably spend it alone, with a small ham or roast chicken meal which I'll prepare myself. It's more enjoyable that way, and I hate having to travel just to see family. I love them, but it always feels like a waste of a holiday.

I AM making a candied thick-cut bacon appetizer to take to the Thanksgiving meal where I'll be a guest. I usually make dressing, but wanted something different this year.

by Anonymousreply 4November 24, 2021 5:24 AM

Looks as though my invitation was lost in the mail ..... again.

by Anonymousreply 5November 24, 2021 5:54 AM

Dining on the best in Mar-a-Lago.

by Anonymousreply 6November 24, 2021 6:19 AM

I also said horsie sauce, Go ahead and grease me up and light the blow torch.

by Anonymousreply 7November 24, 2021 6:43 AM

Unfortunately, I will be at my mom’s for Christmas. So, as tradition dictates, I must make a meat stuffed manicotti, green salad and garlic bread for Christmas Eve. My sister does a turkey (again) for Christmas Day. Then I cook again the day after Christmas for the larger family gathering.

by Anonymousreply 8November 24, 2021 6:50 AM

This fresh ham from the ham thread looks so interesting that I think I’m going to make it for Christmas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 24, 2021 8:51 AM

Switch out the cream cake for something chocolate and I am there OP! The quickest way to my hole is with prime rib.

by Anonymousreply 10November 24, 2021 11:08 AM

Thank God it's over.

by Anonymousreply 11November 26, 2021 3:42 PM

They cream horses, don't they?

by Anonymousreply 12November 26, 2021 3:45 PM

Rap Snacks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 26, 2021 3:58 PM

Do most people serve turkey again at Christmas in the states?

In Canada it is almost invariably turkey for Christmas dinner, but our Thanksgiving is always early October so we're out of not again territory.

by Anonymousreply 14November 26, 2021 4:01 PM

Excep da Frenge, who eats da tortiere! Bud nod me, I have da celery and maybe a bit Cheese Whizz!

by Anonymousreply 15November 26, 2021 4:03 PM

r2, I love me taters, too.

If the venerable Lydia can say puh-tay-duhs, taters ain't so bad.

by Anonymousreply 16November 26, 2021 4:15 PM

“The States” = non-U

by Anonymousreply 17November 26, 2021 5:08 PM

Canada doesn't go in for U or dopes.

Dope, yes, but we're out front like that.

by Anonymousreply 18November 26, 2021 5:09 PM

Can i eat at your house OP ? triple YUM !!!!!

by Anonymousreply 19November 26, 2021 5:14 PM

Yes darling R19, cum on ovah.

Will you do dishes?

by Anonymousreply 20November 26, 2021 5:23 PM

[quote] Do most people serve turkey again at Christmas in the states?

My family did, R14. One time, IIRC, we had steaks (beef) instead. I don't go "home" for Christmas anymore, so I don't know what they do.

by Anonymousreply 21November 26, 2021 5:27 PM

We do the same prime rib, horseradish cream, and garlic spinach but we add mashed potatoes and Yorkshire pudding. We have dessert but no one has room for it.

The prime rib is obscenely expensive but my partner insists on it.

by Anonymousreply 22November 26, 2021 6:08 PM

My sister makes the EXACT same meal for thanksgiving and Christmas - turkey, stuffing, the green bean casserole, sweet potatoes with marshmallows, potatoes au gratin. Fortunately, I don’t go home for both events, so I only have to eat it once.

by Anonymousreply 23November 26, 2021 10:27 PM

I wonder why goose never took off in the U S. Every time I read about a Christmas meal in the UK, goose always comes to up. Too fatty? The turkey lobby is cock blocking?

Our traditional Christmas meal is matahambres (translates literally into "kills hunger). It's an Argentinean dish, flank steak roulade with ham, hardboiled egg, celery, carrot and olive filling.

by Anonymousreply 24November 26, 2021 10:59 PM

We usually do a prime rib too.

by Anonymousreply 25November 26, 2021 10:59 PM

What's taters, precious? What's taters??

by Anonymousreply 26November 27, 2021 4:04 AM

No one has goose because it tastes like GOOSE.

by Anonymousreply 27November 27, 2021 5:08 AM

I had a craving for prime rib this past summer and didn't care what it cost (FWIW, $180). I stupidly allowed someone else to cook it and he murdered the thing. He is usually a great cook. It was well done all the way through. I wanted to murder him. I laughed it off. What else could I do? I'm still angry and it's been 5 months. I invited 7 people to dinner that day. No one said anything but I suspect they were disgusted too.

by Anonymousreply 28November 27, 2021 5:19 AM

OP That’s a meal worthy of a Diners Card.

by Anonymousreply 29November 27, 2021 5:38 AM

Seafood

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 27, 2021 5:44 AM

What are you talking about, OP? I still have enough leftovers for the weekend.

I wonder if I have an unopened Advent Calendar in the back of my closet?

by Anonymousreply 31November 27, 2021 5:52 AM

We actually celebrated Thanksgiving today instead of Thurs (partially due to the turkey not being thawed enough). So we had: turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, broccoli-cheese casserole, butternut squash, spinach & mushrooms, Fresh cranberry (but canned for me), dinner rolls, red velvet cake & pumpkin pie for dessert. I broke out the egg nog too!

by Anonymousreply 32November 27, 2021 5:57 AM

R28, I’d be angry about overcooked prime rib. The end pieces are well-done, anyway. (I actually prefer the ends b/c of all the salt and pepper, but can understand it’s a waste to cook that brown through the middle.)

I also hate overcooked eggs and overcooked seafood. When I see someone leisurely overcooking food, I want to yank that pan off the burner.

by Anonymousreply 33November 27, 2021 6:00 AM

Bring us some faggy pudding.

by Anonymousreply 34November 27, 2021 6:09 AM

Beef bourguignon for Xmas.

by Anonymousreply 35November 27, 2021 6:15 AM

R30 I hate you for that. I may not sleep tonight because of your "taste" in food.

by Anonymousreply 36November 27, 2021 8:19 AM

Normally my family would make a ham for Christmas (and again for Easter), but I will be cooking Christmas dinner for myself this year and maybe have a few friends over. I'm thinking lamb as of right now but I don't know how keen the rest of them would be on it if I invited them over. I might even try making spanakopita. I'm not even Greek, I'm primarily Italian, lol.

I'm definitely making a variety of Italian Christmas cookies to give out to my friends at the very least.

by Anonymousreply 37November 27, 2021 4:14 PM

R37 Lamb is my favorite meat. I might do that for Christmas and then prime rib for NYE.

by Anonymousreply 38November 27, 2021 7:25 PM

Yum, I love lamb. I rarely get it because my little neighborhood market never has it. Whole Foods always had some nice lamb.

by Anonymousreply 39November 28, 2021 12:35 AM

There’s nothing like a roast rack of lamb (frenched, of course). Not a ton of meat, however depending on number of guests and how “ravenous” they are. One good way around that is to serve some heavy (or heavier) hors d’ oeuvres. Also do filling sides (classic potatoes au grating with cream and Swiss or gruyere, stuff like that.)

by Anonymousreply 40November 28, 2021 12:52 AM

I make my own version of fresh mint sauce to go with my roasted MR lamb. Fresh mint and Italian parsley, mixed in my blender with lemon, a bit of sugar, fresh ground salt and pepper. It's very refreshing.

by Anonymousreply 41November 28, 2021 5:34 AM

Smoked ham with grandma’s sauce ..half red currant jelly half French’s yellow mustard heat in sauce pan. French bread sage stuffing. Granny Smith apple pie warm w/vanilla ice cream

by Anonymousreply 42November 28, 2021 5:51 AM

I still have enough to make one last turkey sandwich. Yippee!

by Anonymousreply 43November 29, 2021 3:18 PM

We're going on a six mile walk and picnic. We'll be carrying our own sandwiches and most of us will bring our own bottle of champagne.

by Anonymousreply 44December 15, 2021 10:31 PM

I'm headed to the California central coast for a week of wine tasting. It's gorgeous there, the wine is sublime, I have a fabulous ocean home rented and I'm stoked.

by Anonymousreply 45December 16, 2021 2:55 AM

^i don’t think the wineries are near the ocean there

by Anonymousreply 46December 17, 2021 6:15 AM

R45 Possibly why I'm driving rather than walking there! There are many wineries near the central coast, from Santa Barbara and north from there. We have had some wonderful zins and cabs today. Life is good.

by Anonymousreply 47December 18, 2021 12:41 AM

[quote] Life is good.

Tell us about it, dearie.

What are you wearing?

by Anonymousreply 48December 18, 2021 12:48 AM

I've seen a wide range of Christmas traditions. My family always served beef tenderloin for dinner, my partner's family does ham. An ex's family did turkey, the partner of one of my partner's siblings always had did meat pies growing up and made us for one year.

Last year my partner and made sole, this year we've ordered vegan. On the the menu:

- Nut crusted mushroom Bauble -Rosemary Potatoes -Thyme Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Pumpkin Seeds -Butternut Squash with Cranberries and Onions -Cranberry Sauce -Spiced Pumpkin Soup -Scarlet Pie

by Anonymousreply 49December 18, 2021 1:52 PM

Scarlet pie? What's that?

by Anonymousreply 50December 18, 2021 5:31 PM

R48 Black. Like your soul.

by Anonymousreply 51December 18, 2021 5:33 PM

Don't forget a traditional olive-shrimp tree!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52December 18, 2021 11:09 PM

R50, Scarlett pie at link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53December 19, 2021 10:19 AM

Sounds good OP. Im making oxtails stew with rice and for desert creme brûlée. Creme brûlée seems very fancy but it’s actually very easy to do.

by Anonymousreply 54December 19, 2021 10:47 AM

OP, are you already beginning to freak out?

Hold tight.

FIVE days and counting down.

by Anonymousreply 55December 19, 2021 7:31 PM

Look at these beauties. You can use a number of different fillings and substitute pork loin for flank steak.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 19, 2021 8:07 PM

^forgot to sign as r24.

by Anonymousreply 57December 19, 2021 8:08 PM

Thanks R53, it sounds pretty decent. R55, nope, why would I freak out? I didn't invite you to dinner so all is good.

by Anonymousreply 58December 20, 2021 3:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!