Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trans Come For The Danish Girl

I thought this movie was really well done. Fuck the obtuse gender crusaders.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99November 25, 2021 7:58 PM

Ugh. Lick the trans boot, why don't you.

by Anonymousreply 1November 22, 2021 3:54 AM

Ha! That movie was propaganda. They're getting what they deserve.

Cillian Murphy next! Breakfast on Pluto was one of the most dishonest and manipulative films ever made. Beautifully shot, well acted, but empty propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 2November 22, 2021 3:54 AM

R2, that's Miss Cillian Murphy to you!

by Anonymousreply 3November 22, 2021 3:57 AM

Why are these fucking actors so gutless that they turn on a dime? Looking (also) at you, Daniel Radcliffe.

by Anonymousreply 4November 22, 2021 4:00 AM

Yes, it would have been better had it not been made at all. Because that's how it works when you try to make a movie without a name actor.

by Anonymousreply 5November 22, 2021 4:01 AM

Fatso Daniel Radcliffe.

by Anonymousreply 6November 22, 2021 4:02 AM

Stop making film and tv shows about trans. Nothing good comes from it. They’re mentally ill nightmares.

by Anonymousreply 7November 22, 2021 4:02 AM

At least they didn't come ON the Danish girl.

by Anonymousreply 8November 22, 2021 4:02 AM

Note to activists: they aren't going to start hiring trans actors, they're just going to stop making trans movies. Way too much trouble for any potential returns.

by Anonymousreply 9November 22, 2021 4:03 AM

At least Eddie Redmayne, an Oscar winner, presented his massive, unmutilated dong there and that alone redeemed the whole crappy film!

by Anonymousreply 10November 22, 2021 4:03 AM

R9 Isn't that what happened with that Scarlet Johansson movie?

by Anonymousreply 11November 22, 2021 4:04 AM

Will he also express regret about playing Stephen hawking, he also didn’t suffer from ALS. Where do they draw the line?

by Anonymousreply 12November 22, 2021 4:04 AM

Another gutless worm actor, don’t apologize it is your fucking job to pretend to be something you are not that is fucking acting!

by Anonymousreply 13November 22, 2021 4:06 AM

R10, isn't that what happened with that Scarlet Johansson movie?

by Anonymousreply 14November 22, 2021 4:06 AM

What good could come from making a movie about trans people in this day and age. It could be perfect and they’d still find something to bitch and moan about.

by Anonymousreply 15November 22, 2021 4:07 AM

Should female stars start expressing regret about playing hookers too. They could easily find hookers to play hookers I’m sure.

by Anonymousreply 16November 22, 2021 4:10 AM

Is this about a trans person? Or a non binary?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 22, 2021 4:11 AM

How about just casting the best person for the job. I’m sure someone could do a better job playing me than I could.

by Anonymousreply 18November 22, 2021 4:12 AM

R17, I was gonna make fun of it but that actually looks sort of good and I think I’ll watch it. It’s a good trailer.

by Anonymousreply 19November 22, 2021 4:17 AM

Casted.

by Anonymousreply 20November 22, 2021 4:18 AM

I got an Oscar for this film. But they're still trying to make me happen

by Anonymousreply 21November 22, 2021 4:23 AM

Ridiculous. There was no need for him to apologize for making the film. That's the problem, everyone's apologizing and caving in when it is not necessary.

Would I like to see more trans actors get those roles? Sure. Why not. But these kids need to wake up to the fact that this is a business. It's not even about talent most of the time, it's about marquee value and who can sell tickets and promote.

My belief as always been - what is the context and intent of the work of those involved creating it, and do they respect the subject matter. If you don't care for it or approve, just don't patronize it with your time, attention, or money. That simple.

by Anonymousreply 22November 22, 2021 4:23 AM

Fool. You're an actor. Actors pretend.

by Anonymousreply 23November 22, 2021 4:25 AM

Massive R10?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 22, 2021 4:39 AM

Whoopi is not clairvoyant. Meryl is not a 1940s Pole. Tom Hanks doesn't have AIDS. Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 25November 22, 2021 4:40 AM

Alicia Vikander is the worst case of category fraud in Supporting actress history besides children (Tatum O'Neal and Patty Duke had more screen time but they were put in the lower category because they were kids. )

Vikander got in because of........Harvey?

by Anonymousreply 26November 22, 2021 4:58 AM

Oscar voters can shift categories, they did it with Kate Winslet in the Reader. If they thought it was category fraud they would have voted that way. I think it's a really lovely performance.

by Anonymousreply 27November 22, 2021 5:09 AM

That is practically the only time in history that the voters stood up and went against the advertised category fraud r27. (and that was probably due to Weinstein lobbying behind the scenes to get The Reader major nominations.) Voters are pretty much sheep and follow orders.

(although last year there was the bizarre Lakeith Stanfield/Daniel K. situation.)

by Anonymousreply 28November 22, 2021 5:20 AM

Hated it. Tom Hooper is a hack. When the best part of your film is Amber Heard, you have problems.

by Anonymousreply 29November 22, 2021 5:22 AM

Karma, he throw jk under the bus by mansplaing what it is to be a real woman. Fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 30November 22, 2021 5:27 AM

The worst case of category fraud will always belong to Nicole Kidman. Of the 3 main actresses in The Hours, she had the least amount of screen time and Julianne Moore had the most. Yet Nicole was nominated and won as Best Actress, and Julianne was nominated as Best Supporting Actress.

But the Alicia Vikander debacle is a close 2nd.

by Anonymousreply 31November 22, 2021 5:29 AM

First they came for the Danish girl, and I did not speak out because I was not a Danish girl.

Then they came for the breakfast-eating Plutonians, and I did not speak out because I was not a Plutonian.

Then they came for Boys Don’t Cry, and I did not speak out because I was not a crying boy.

Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak for me.

by Anonymousreply 32November 22, 2021 5:40 AM

What’s next , rich privileged actors can’t play poor or working class roles?.

by Anonymousreply 33November 22, 2021 5:42 AM

Should Frances retire her bucket?

by Anonymousreply 34November 22, 2021 5:45 AM

R34 Her nasty greasy hair is literal violence!

by Anonymousreply 35November 22, 2021 5:49 AM

I take only organic showers, i.e no water!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 22, 2021 5:56 AM

I mean what trans performer could play redmaynes character for half of the movie where he’s male? The movie wouldn’t have been made without redmayne as he was coming off a fresh Oscar win.

by Anonymousreply 37November 22, 2021 5:59 AM

R37 trans “actresses” are all terrible.

by Anonymousreply 38November 22, 2021 6:01 AM

actually r31 I think it was Moore who did the category fraud. All three of those women were leads and it is Kidman you remember most after the film.

Other people like Anthony Hopkins, David Niven, and Patricia Neal won for less screen time.

People going for the lead awards with small screen time actually seem brave to me.

When leads go for supporting that seems cowardly. (Julia Roberts, August: Osage County.)

by Anonymousreply 39November 22, 2021 6:03 AM

Patricia Neal was a unique case. Her studio was going to place her in supporting which wouldn’t have been category fraud. However she starting winning critics awards for best actress and the studio saw how weak the category was they shifted gears.

by Anonymousreply 40November 22, 2021 6:17 AM

who would have won if Neal had gone supporting? Would she have won supporting?

by Anonymousreply 41November 22, 2021 6:19 AM

Neal would’ve easily won supporting. That year 3 actresses from Tom Jones were nominated along with Margaret Rutherford from the VIPs and Lilia Skala for Lillies of the field.

The best actress nominees were

Leslie Caron – The L-Shaped Room as Jane Fosset Shirley MacLaine – Irma la Douce as Irma la Douce Rachel Roberts – This Sporting Life as Margaret Hammond Natalie Wood – Love with the Proper Stranger as Angie Rossini

I think MacLaine would’ve won out of this group. Her movie was a critical and commercial hit.

by Anonymousreply 42November 22, 2021 6:39 AM

Leslie Caron likely would’ve won Best Actress for The L-Shaped room, while Patricia Neal would’ve easily won Best Supporting Actress.

by Anonymousreply 43November 22, 2021 6:40 AM

MacLaine has expressed surprise that she was nominated for Irma La Douce.

I wonder if she had won for that would she have won for Terms of Enderament or would her turbulent co-star take it.

by Anonymousreply 44November 22, 2021 6:49 AM

The Danish Girl was beautifully made and explained gender dysphoria beautifully. Unlike Jared Leto in Dallas Buyers Club, Redmayne played a man for most of the film and took the audience on his journey with him. Had they found an trans woman to play the main character, would they have stuck a beard on for her post transition scenes?

People have (had?) a much greater sympathy of trans people because of performances by Redmayne in this, Olympia Dukakis in Tales Of The City, Glenn Close in Albert Nobbs, Terence Stamp in Priscilla, Felicity Huffman, Hillary Swank etc.

[quote]Alicia Vikander is the worst case of category fraud in Supporting actress history besides children (Tatum O'Neal and Patty Duke had more screen time but they were put in the lower category because they were kids. )Vikander got in because of........Harvey?

Vikander was also in Ex Machina that year, which would have got her Best Supporting Actress nominations, and got a nomination for Original Screenplay.

It was a good year for performances, but how the fuck Spotlight won best picture is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 45November 22, 2021 6:58 AM

MacLaine won the comedy globe carom the drama globe. MacLaine had the only box office smash and it was a Billy Wilder movie. Had meal gone supporting. I guess that could’ve penciled in Liz Taylor in cleopatra, Geraldine page in toys in the attic or Romy Schneider for the cardinal.

by Anonymousreply 46November 22, 2021 7:05 AM

Other than Neal, Leslie Caron won the most Best Actress awards. More importantly, she won a BAFTA (over MacLaine) and the Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Drama.

by Anonymousreply 47November 22, 2021 7:22 AM

Hold me William. I'm scared.

by Anonymousreply 48November 22, 2021 7:28 AM

Kimberly Peirce the director of boys don’t cry was shouted off stage at reed college and accused of transphobia and glamorizing teena Brandon’s rape in the movie. Were they watching the same movie the rest of us were?

by Anonymousreply 49November 22, 2021 7:46 AM

R49 If they had just watched her re-make of Carrie I could understand but Boys Don't Cry was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 50November 22, 2021 8:22 AM

Redmayne soon to be seen in Cabaret in the West End with Jessie Buckley in a recent interview stated that the cast introduced themselves by stating their pronouns on the first day of rehearsals. How brave of this odious little closet case.

by Anonymousreply 51November 22, 2021 9:10 AM

Trannys don’t have to be acting, they can get another job like McDonald’s

by Anonymousreply 52November 22, 2021 9:33 AM

R45 the films don't accurately represent transpeople. Lille Elbe was a sexual fetishist.

by Anonymousreply 53November 22, 2021 9:42 AM

[quote] Alicia Vikander is the worst case of category fraud in Supporting actress history

No, that would be Olivia Colman going for Best Actress when she was supporting and Emma Stone going for Supporting when she was the star of the movie. That’s like Julia Roberts going for Supporting in Pretty Woman. Or Meg Ryan going for Supporting and Rosie O’Donnell going for Best Actress in Sleepless in Seattle.

by Anonymousreply 54November 22, 2021 11:03 AM

It was a fine film and not propaganda but a true story.

Redmayne is a coward betraying the very essence of the art he claims to revere.

Where was he when a big black actress got to play the historically white actual Anne Boleyn who by the way was described as being slim and delicately made?

Too bad Peter O'Toole is dead. He could issue an apology for playing a short man in Lawrence of Arabia.

And we won't even bring up Jose Ferrer playing the lead in Moulin Rouge.

And, as won DLer put it a few years ago when this shit began seeping out of the Metro Elite Hampstead Heath Primrose Hill arsehole, in re Harry Potter,

"You lot know Radcliffe isn't a real magician, right?"

by Anonymousreply 55November 22, 2021 11:42 AM

^*as one (not won) DLer

by Anonymousreply 56November 22, 2021 11:43 AM

R55 brings up JK Rowling in an angry trans thread, without a hint of irony.

by Anonymousreply 57November 22, 2021 11:55 AM

What took them so long? The trans agenda is so hypersensitive and steeped in victim hood I'd think they'd attacked this movie as soon as (or even before) it came out!

by Anonymousreply 58November 22, 2021 11:59 AM

Trans propaganda only has a shelf life of 3 or 4 years before it becomes transphobia. It's not a stable identity.

by Anonymousreply 59November 22, 2021 12:03 PM

R57 The only irony is one of you trans fascists thinking it ironic that the name of a woman who insists biology isn't meaningless and got death threats for it and a public charge of being a danger to children trying to control what can and cannot be said in this ludicrous discussion set off by trans fascism.

By the way, you do know that Rowling isn't reducible simply to her courage in going up against you lot?

Some other folk who care about sociopolitical Stalinism dictating art are ANGRY too.

by Anonymousreply 60November 22, 2021 1:21 PM

They want to get rid of gendered categories.

by Anonymousreply 61November 22, 2021 1:33 PM

This presentism is a solution without a problem—and nothing more than something being maligned for extreme virtual signaling. You can’t undo trans portrayals in past films any more than you can undo smoking in films 75 years ago. Plus a man interpreting someone in transition requires playing both before and after. Trying to portray this as some gender version of blackface - or white actors playing Native Americans in show polish - is dumb and a disservice to gender minorities, since like people have said above, what will get cancelled are trans stories and characters.

by Anonymousreply 62November 22, 2021 1:39 PM

R61 They'll bring them back when women never win.

by Anonymousreply 63November 22, 2021 1:43 PM

[quote]since like people have said above, what will get cancelled are trans stories and characters

...and that would be terrible because...?

by Anonymousreply 64November 22, 2021 2:00 PM

This thread is a joke. Including the OP. You literally just created a fake fight between trans people and Eddie Redmayne, with transgender people as the instigators. Nowhere in the article does it say "the trans" came after him. He's sharing his own thoughts on the role and how it looks in hindsight. Not the first time an actor said "huh this could have been different or enhanced if 'xyz' happened instead."

by Anonymousreply 65November 22, 2021 2:16 PM

R65 Right. And if it weren't for the glaring shit that happened to other artists amid Cancel Culture and seeing university profs lose their jobs over this, Redmayne would still have got out of bed this morning feeling "regretful" his juicy Oscar/Bafta/SAG/GG nominated role.

Pull the other one, mate.

by Anonymousreply 66November 22, 2021 2:38 PM

Rowling's address was posted on Twitter by a few trans fascists in an attempt to intimidate her. She said she's received so many death threats she could paper a room with them.

Is it any wonder Redmayne tried to head these terrorists off at the pass?

Obviously, Rowling had more balls than he had left after that film.

Life imitating art.

by Anonymousreply 67November 22, 2021 3:10 PM

[quote] They want to get rid of gendered categories.

About time! Why should your genitalia dicktate what you are best at? If you are Best, Be Best, regardless of your genitals.

by Anonymousreply 68November 22, 2021 4:27 PM

[quote]They want to get rid of gendered categories.

The Brit Awards have scrapped categories for Male and Female artists.

Funnily enough if you google "BBC Brits Gender" the second story after this that comes up is one that complains about a lack of female representation in mixed categories...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69November 22, 2021 4:38 PM

Also he wasn’t Danish.

by Anonymousreply 70November 22, 2021 4:56 PM

Oh lawd that’s one ugly pale guy in OP.

by Anonymousreply 71November 22, 2021 5:19 PM

In the film, how did Eddie hide his candy?

by Anonymousreply 72November 22, 2021 6:47 PM

Yeah, and Stalin wanted to get rid of any art that didn't exalt the Revolution.

This is a farce.

R72 - With his hand, although one did get a rather startlingly vivid glance around the edges . . . unless they used a body double.

by Anonymousreply 73November 22, 2021 7:59 PM

I'd be frankly surprised if the Academy would ever change to gender-neutral categories. First of all, what if men won more than women? Or women more than men? Or if whites more than non-whites? And if non-binary performers (the reason for the change in the first place) still came away empty-handed year after year? I think the Academy would be opening up a Pandora's box the size of Australia by making such an adjustment.

Second, just from a ratings perspective, it's obvious that one of the biggest draws for people to watch the broadcast have always been the 4 acting races. Reducing them to just 2 (one for lead, one for supporting) would potentially cut into the increasingly shrinking audience the Oscars has left and I just can't imagine that the Academy or ABC would be eager to take that risk.

by Anonymousreply 74November 22, 2021 8:23 PM

[quote] First of all, what if men won more than women? Or women more than men?

How could they? If gender is meaningless in this future then no one would even know which one won more.

by Anonymousreply 75November 22, 2021 8:37 PM

“Pandora’s Box”, R74? Literal violence!

by Anonymousreply 76November 22, 2021 8:58 PM

A real Trans Actress who was also in the film (not playing Trans) didn't seem to object, but Rebecca Root is pretty realistic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77November 22, 2021 9:36 PM

Does does she still have her root?

by Anonymousreply 78November 22, 2021 9:51 PM

R78 Definitely not, she had full surgery in around 2005.

She's also a good actress and gets regular work, more than most of her contemporaries I'd imagine?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79November 22, 2021 10:03 PM

Was Jared Leto's character supposed to be trans in Dallas Buyers Club?

I thought he was just an effiminate gay man. (remember them? they weren't all trans.)

by Anonymousreply 80November 23, 2021 3:53 AM

Going back to Patricia Neal in Hud.

I remember seeing that on The Late Show one summer as a teen. I thought it was some torrid love affair between her and Newman. Then she was hardly in it.

I thought the channel had cut out most of her stuff (which they did back then.)

(I miss the late show. Learned so much about movies from then. I'd be up until 6am sometimes watching movie after movie.)

by Anonymousreply 81November 23, 2021 3:55 AM

Please, at the time DLers HATED this movie and said it didn't deserve any Oscars. Now they're pretending to like it to piss off trans people. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 82November 23, 2021 3:57 AM

Will the Trans-Siberian Orchestra have to be 100% trans or change its name?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83November 24, 2021 1:55 AM

Why does everyone have to apologize for their past? Just ignore the naysayers and wokesters!

by Anonymousreply 84November 24, 2021 1:59 AM

What about trans-Atlantic flights?

by Anonymousreply 85November 24, 2021 2:05 AM

[quote] "I mean what trans performer could play redmaynes character for half of the movie where he’s male?"

This, R37. It's the same logic. But these "activists" don't care about anything except being victims.

by Anonymousreply 86November 24, 2021 5:37 AM

Obviously you would have a man perform the first half and then a trans perform the second half. It’s not that hard. Films do this all the time when one actor performs as a child and another actor performs after he is transformed into an adult.

by Anonymousreply 87November 24, 2021 4:42 PM

To do that would be too jolting to the continuity of a film. Will they do a voiceover like they’d do when they’d replace soap actors: “The post-op character will now be played by____”.

by Anonymousreply 88November 24, 2021 4:54 PM

I thought Julianne Moore got pushed into Supporting for "The Hours" as she was a cert for a Lead nomination for "Far From Heaven"?

R10 no, Eddie was a total coward about nudity to and you barely saw his cock.

by Anonymousreply 89November 24, 2021 5:04 PM

Too*

by Anonymousreply 90November 24, 2021 5:12 PM

[quote] To do that would be too jolting to the continuity of a film. Will they do a voiceover like they’d do when they’d replace soap actors: “The post-op character will now be played by____”.

Why would it be too jolting? Did they need a voiceover to announce the kid has transitioned into an adult in Forrest Gump, It, Now and Again, etc.

by Anonymousreply 91November 24, 2021 5:13 PM

yes r89 it was a way to get her two nominations

by Anonymousreply 92November 25, 2021 2:09 AM

R91 People can instantly tell the difference between a male and a female. It's an innate instinct.

by Anonymousreply 93November 25, 2021 9:04 AM

Making a film costs money.

Investors want a return.

They aint gonna put the money down on a nobody who just happens to please a bunch of trannie activists but bombs at the box office.

Casting aint fare. It never has been. never will be when money is at stake.

Redymaine knows how the biz works and apologising is just pandering to them.

Give them an inch and they take a .......

by Anonymousreply 94November 25, 2021 9:12 AM

Next up...one of the acting categories (male or female) will be replaced with "Best post op performance of a .character" like The Danish Girl should have been, apparently.

The mental deficients who are for degendering awards because gender shouldnt matter are the same ones protesting a non trans playing trans because apparently it does sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 95November 25, 2021 11:40 AM

An apology without a mistake.

by Anonymousreply 96November 25, 2021 5:56 PM

[quote]Making a film costs money. Investors want a return. They aint gonna put the money down on a nobody who just happens to please a bunch of trannie activists but bombs at the box office.

Dame Glenn addressed this during one of the round table events she did for The Wife. I think she talked about making Albert Nobbs when she said that representation mattered but that you had to be realistic about getting the film made. I can't be bothered to find the quote but she was quite sensible about it.

by Anonymousreply 97November 25, 2021 6:13 PM

People think filmmakers have some sort of social contract or duty to make films all inclusive or that don’t appeal to the sensibilities of all moviegoers. I honestly enjoy foreign cinema more because their movies don’t try to make films that appeal to all age groups, racial groups, religious organizations, gender minorities, right wingers who are against sex/violence, etc.

In an effort to do right by everyone we end up with cookie cutter “product” films, sanitized of any unique vision or expression—most of which is just junk.

It reminds me of the beginning of Cinema Paradiso where the priest would censor the films of any passion before shown in the town theatre. I imagine this same thing happens with studio execs (cut this scene because it will offend X, make sure this character is X so the film is inclusive/more marketable to X).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98November 25, 2021 7:10 PM

Why would a female to male play Albert Nobbs? Nobbs had no treatment to transition.

What about Hilary Swank in Boys Don't Cry. That person had no treatment either.

So you have to cast the role with what the person is psychologically?

So Hannibal Lecter you needed a real psychopath?

by Anonymousreply 99November 25, 2021 7:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!