Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is your favorite Keeping Up Appearances episode?

Mine would be Driving Mrs. Fortescue when Hyacinth gets trapped on the back of the work truck and Mrs. Barker-Finch (gasp) witnesses her trying to get off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69December 9, 2021 12:52 AM

The one where Hyacinth becomes part-owner of a grand estate. How many steps do they climb to get into their garret?

by Anonymousreply 1November 22, 2021 2:58 AM

This one!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 22, 2021 3:14 AM

The one where she sings at Emmet.

by Anonymousreply 3November 24, 2021 1:22 AM

let me check my spreadsheet.

by Anonymousreply 4November 24, 2021 1:24 AM

The one where Onslow, Daisy, and Rose show up to one of Hyacinth's fancy dress suppers or church dos and embarrass her fancy ass!

by Anonymousreply 5November 24, 2021 1:32 AM

Riparian Entertainments.

by Anonymousreply 6November 24, 2021 1:35 AM

R4, now Richard, you know you don’t have to fool with spreadsheets since you took early retirement.

by Anonymousreply 7November 24, 2021 1:36 AM

The one where the neighbor lady can't drink tea without shaking.

by Anonymousreply 8November 24, 2021 2:04 AM

The one where Onslow says, “Oh, niiiice!” Or maybe the one where Hyacinth says, “Now Richard…”

by Anonymousreply 9November 24, 2021 2:41 AM

For A Plotline: "Holiday Brochures" is a standout.

But "Riparian Entertainments" as mentioned by R6 is among my top three.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 24, 2021 4:42 AM

Any scene where she and Richard are in bed wrapped in their rosebud sheets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 24, 2021 5:01 AM

R11, after all, Sheridan has the best rosebud.

by Anonymousreply 12November 24, 2021 5:33 AM

R1 I think I have the same, they end up in a small apartment under the roof, with no room to move in the kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 13November 24, 2021 5:38 AM

R13, it’s old world bijou!

by Anonymousreply 14November 24, 2021 5:42 AM

I think Hyacinth was driven to her snobbery as a defense mechanism brought on by the repeated put-downs of that bitch Barker Finch!

by Anonymousreply 15November 24, 2021 10:35 AM

R10 Hyacinth pronounces brochures as BRA-shurs.

by Anonymousreply 16November 24, 2021 10:40 AM

Pat now 92, has retired to Chicester, West Sussex with her longtime lady companion.

by Anonymousreply 17November 24, 2021 10:42 AM

OP, I love that episode too, especially the part where they turn up to the pub and Richard notices Onslow's bicycle parked outside. Hyacinth's reaction makes me laugh every time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 24, 2021 10:49 AM

I can't remember when the episode aired, but I love the one where Hyacinth and Richard go 'yachting' on this old, little river boat.

by Anonymousreply 19November 24, 2021 10:53 AM

Hyacinth Hosts a Gangbang.

Richard finds another use for candlewax and Hyacinth finds out why Daisy has stayed with Onslow.

by Anonymousreply 20November 24, 2021 10:54 AM

Rose needs a stiffener!

by Anonymousreply 21November 24, 2021 12:54 PM

Hyacinth riding a horse was a good one. Trying to impress some English "gentlemen." Made a fool of herself as usual.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 28, 2021 11:41 PM

The one where Sheridan goes on the hunt for BBC at a London bathhouse.

by Anonymousreply 23November 28, 2021 11:45 PM

Hyacinth gets soused on "Old Mumsy's Dynamite"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 28, 2021 11:53 PM

R15, in the prequel Young Hyacinth, you see Hyacinth embarrassed by her father’s drunkenness in front of her fancy employers who employ her as a maid. She’s always making up excuses as well as fanciful tales to explain things.

Additionally, you’re right. The Barker-Finches as well as other neighbours are always showing their shock at Onslow and her other family members.

Mrs. Donahue even pretended to hear her phone ring when Hyacinth was helping push her car wearing fancy dress. She had ample reason for her snobbery.

by Anonymousreply 25November 29, 2021 12:03 AM

R15, this is what I mean.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 29, 2021 12:22 AM

Too many favorites to just pick one episode.

But one moment that always pops into my head is the episode where the delivery van with the royal crest is due to park in front of their house. Hyacinth calls Mrs. Barker-Finch across the street on the phone to bring her to her window so she’ll see, just as the van is scheduled to arrive. When Mrs. Barker-Finch answers the phone Hyacinth veeeeeery slowly puts the receiver back silently with this hysterically sinister look on her face. Great moment.

by Anonymousreply 27November 29, 2021 12:25 AM

I liked the episode where neighbor, Emmet, tells Hyacinth that he is currently in a relationship with Michael, the dishy Vicar. Upon this news, Hyacinth quizzes Emmet on the meaning of the word relationship. Richard, eavesdropping mumbles "drat, I wanted the Vicar."

by Anonymousreply 28November 29, 2021 12:32 AM

So many to choose from! I'll go for the one where Hyacinth and Richard go on a cruise on the QE2 -only to find Onslow and Daisy aboard. Hyacinth is sure they are stowaways, but they actually won the cruise and are in a better cabin and eating at the captain's table. Poor, poor Hyacinth...

by Anonymousreply 29November 29, 2021 12:38 AM

What they should have done is have Hyacinth being treated like royalty and she wake up to find it’s all a dream. She should have have gotten a taste of the aristocracy just once at least.

by Anonymousreply 30November 29, 2021 12:55 AM

R29 I liked how at the end of that episode Hyacinth and Onslow dance together.

by Anonymousreply 31November 29, 2021 1:31 AM

Also, until this thread made me look it up I didn't realize that I believe GPB didn't air the series in order. The "Please Watch Your Head" episode R1 and R13 is speaking was the second to last episode of series 4. But, I distinctly remember them airing it last, like a series finale. Maybe they don't do it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 32November 29, 2021 1:40 AM

R32 my GPB station never aired episodes in order and also would repeat some episodes before even airing the rest of them.

by Anonymousreply 33November 29, 2021 1:43 AM

R33 I just always remember they would air that episode and then the next one would be the first episode. Which is why I assumed it was the finale. I wonder why they did that with KUA because I'm pretty sure AYBS? ran in order, except for not including "Monkey Business" for the longest time.

by Anonymousreply 34November 29, 2021 1:50 AM

R34, they ran Are You Being Served? out of order too. However, they usually ran As Time Goes By in order. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 35November 29, 2021 2:31 AM

R35 As Time Goes By, has to be run in order because it is serialized just like AYBS, Again.

by Anonymousreply 36November 29, 2021 2:34 AM

R27, that IS a great scene. Patricia Routledge's physical comedy is unmatched. I believe in that scene she also clutches excitedly at Richard, pushing him into the wall as she slowly lowers the phone, haha.

by Anonymousreply 37November 29, 2021 10:41 AM

R37 Yes! To make sure he keeps quiet! A hysterical moment with no dialogue. So great.

by Anonymousreply 38November 29, 2021 10:47 AM

I also love how after she brings La Barker-Finch to the phone, she spends such a long time trying to get everything in place for her to see the van, despite the fact Mrs B-F would've long since left the window, but Hyacinth was adamant she had to go through with the plan despite everything going wrong. There's also another great bit of physical comedy where she pretends Onslow, Daisy and Rose are strangers for the benefit of the neighbours, and starts acting out giving them directions.

by Anonymousreply 39November 29, 2021 10:55 AM

I too loved the "nautical buffet with riparian entertainment" episode.

by Anonymousreply 40November 29, 2021 10:57 AM

The one where she test drives a Rolls-Royce is amusing.

by Anonymousreply 41November 29, 2021 11:00 AM

^Haha all because she wanted to get even with that woman who had said, loudly at one of her candlelight suppers: "I think kiwi fruit are so lower middle-class, don't you?"

by Anonymousreply 42November 29, 2021 11:12 AM

I love the one where Hyacinth arranges to have one of Rose’s gentleman callers pick her up at the Bucket residence, because Rose said he drives a limousine. Hyacinth is lead to believe he “works in oil” (he actually just owns a petrol station). Hyacinth throws a party so everyone will be there to see a limousine pull up in front of her house and pick up a family member. He ends up showing up in hearse because his limousine is in the shop. I’m pretty sure this is the episode… but there’s a hysterical moment where a panicking Hyacinth runs and opens the door to the room of the party and laughs maniacally and loudly at everyone then slams the door again. So simple, and says so much. Hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 43November 29, 2021 12:45 PM

Is this show popular in England or is it one of those mediocre shows that Americans like thinking they're getting quantity entertainment from Britain. Sniff.

by Anonymousreply 44November 29, 2021 12:58 PM

Richard has had it ... officially

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 29, 2021 1:02 PM

I always hoped one day to see Richard slap Hyacinth across the punim. Sadly I was disappointed. One the same idea I always hoped to see Sheldon beaten almost to death on Big Bang Theory. If I had been his roommate I would have smothered him in his sleep.

by Anonymousreply 46November 29, 2021 4:43 PM

What was the episode where hyacinth answered an ad for prostitutes.

by Anonymousreply 47November 29, 2021 6:08 PM

If that bastard Barker-Finch and her smug cronies had treated Hyacinth with respect and included her, she would have become such a paranoid snob.

Say what you want but at least Hyacinth was always there for her family, in spite of being embarrassed by them.

by Anonymousreply 48November 29, 2021 7:33 PM

R48 I will say Hyacinth's devotion to her family, actually being there for them when they needed, was the one thing that really helped to ground the character and make her seem real. Everyone can relate to having relatives that embarrass you, but that you still love.

by Anonymousreply 49November 29, 2021 7:40 PM

R47 That I believe was a later episode where the wording of the ad she answered was confusing. Hyacinth thought it was looking for someone with expertise with social entertaining and party planning tips, but it was actually looking for strippers.

by Anonymousreply 50November 29, 2021 9:46 PM

I didn't care for the "new" Rose (looked older) when Mary Millar passed away. I enjoyed the episodes with Councillor Mrs. Nugent. Also the episode where the vicar, in shorts is exercising on his indoor bicycle.

by Anonymousreply 51November 29, 2021 9:58 PM

Mary Millar was the second Rose. Shirley Stelfox was the original Rose, but she had to quit because of prior commitments. Mary died shortly after the show ended, but neither of them died during production.

by Anonymousreply 52November 29, 2021 10:06 PM

So sad that Richard and Onslow are gone now too.

I loved Hyacinth and Richard getting stuck face to face and belly to belly in their kitchenette doorway in that small bijou apartment in the manse. "I don't care for this level of intimacy, Richard."

by Anonymousreply 53November 29, 2021 10:19 PM

I did not realize the first Rose, Shirley Stelfox, went on to play the very un-Rose like Edna Birch on Emmerdale for 15 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54November 29, 2021 10:25 PM

R48/R49 - I rewatched the show recently, and what struck me so much that I mentioned it to my friend I was watching it with was that however much she irritated her family, she is the one all her sisters turn to when they need advice or a shoulder to cry on.

The episode where Councillor Mrs Nugent comes across Onslow and Rose and Hyacinth pretends they are actors for a film that Richard is shooting is very funny - but on the discussion above, note that when Councillor Mrs Nugent says, re: Onslow: "Obviously some kind of THUG!" Hyacinth's first reaction is almost one of rage at the woman she otherwise wants to impress because she insults her brother-in-law. It's a very quick, subtle moment, but a good bit of character work.

by Anonymousreply 55November 30, 2021 6:19 AM

One of the sweetest moments, in my opinion, was in series 1 when Rose tries to drop-off her lingerie at the charity shop when she's bereft at yet another relationship breakdown. Hyacinth forbids Rose entry, but as she takes the bag of clothes, she gives Rose a quick peck on the cheek before sending her on her way.

by Anonymousreply 56November 30, 2021 9:31 AM

They should have made a spin-off about Sheridan.

by Anonymousreply 57November 30, 2021 10:01 AM

Found the clip of Mrs Nugent helping to push the car:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 30, 2021 10:36 AM

I think the Councilor Mrs. Nugent might have been, shhhhhhhh........a lesbian. I think she wanted some action under the duvet with Our Rose.

by Anonymousreply 59November 30, 2021 11:15 AM

I like the one where Rose is in room 210 and making inconsiderate noises. Hyacinth is then felt up by the weird old Major.

by Anonymousreply 60November 30, 2021 11:51 AM

I liked that they had Hyacinth attracting lecherous older men. She was also manhandled by that old coot at the flower nursery when she went to check on some flora for one of her candlelit suppers. (I don't think it was of the riparian sort though.)

Our Hy wound up with all kinds of plant life clinging to her and her hair from trying to deter the old gentleman from assaulting her person.

by Anonymousreply 61December 1, 2021 5:25 PM

R61 it was the Major and he drove a Morgan two seater sports car.

by Anonymousreply 62December 2, 2021 6:43 AM

Riparian entertainments is the best episode

Best moment is Hyacinth dancing with Onslow on the QE2

by Anonymousreply 63December 2, 2021 8:46 AM

Mr. Jeremy Gittins was hot as fuck in his younger days.

No wonder Rose and all those church ladies were always after him!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64December 2, 2021 9:40 AM

Like so many other British actors, Jeremy Gittins did his share of television commercials when starting out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65December 2, 2021 9:42 AM

Another....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66December 2, 2021 9:44 AM

He is dreamy!

by Anonymousreply 67December 2, 2021 9:53 AM

I like the episode "Driving Mrs. Fortescue" when the spot spot Rose, Onslow and Daisy. Rose starts a conversation with the wealthy Mrs. Forescue about love and men.

by Anonymousreply 68December 8, 2021 8:57 PM

R68, that’s also the same episode Hyacinth gets caught by the lorry in front of Mrs. Barker-Finch!

by Anonymousreply 69December 9, 2021 12:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!