Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dying for your beard

Dying your beard . Does anyone do it.? I recently started growing a beard . I like it. I am in my 50s and while there are black and brown flecks in it,most of it is the white. This sort of makes sense obviously, but the rest of my body hair is brown black and my hair though partially grey has a lot of brown in it.

I wonder if I should dye it or if it is like wearing a toupee and everyone will think wtf are you doing?

Does anyone here dye their beard?

by Anonymousreply 46November 24, 2021 10:00 PM

It looks ridiculous and everybody knows you dye it. men should never dye their head hair either. It just doesnt look good.

by Anonymousreply 1November 22, 2021 1:02 AM

Ride or Die.

by Anonymousreply 2November 22, 2021 1:05 AM

I haven’t needed to dye for any of my beards.

by Anonymousreply 3November 22, 2021 1:08 AM

In my late 30s my mustache and goatee started turning red (I have a medium brown hair).

When I say red I don’t mean auburn but rather Lucille Ball orange.

It took a couple of tries but I found the shade of hair color that matches my eyebrows.

I didn’t buy just for men because it doesn’t look good. Just for men makes it all one shade. I buy women’s hair color that makes the hair slightly different shades of brown.

Once my mustache and goatee goes completely gray I’ll stop coloring it.

by Anonymousreply 4November 22, 2021 1:12 AM

Just For Men works for me, the secret is to go lighter. Like R4 I am medium brown haired with a beard that is a mix of brown, auburn, orange, with some grey. I use the lightest shade of brown they make. It doesn't turn out all one shade on me because it reacts differently to the different shades already in my beard.

by Anonymousreply 5November 22, 2021 1:23 AM

I'm not dying for any woman who pretends to be my wife when I go home for the holidays. No way.

by Anonymousreply 6November 22, 2021 1:31 AM

Just For Men makes a "Beard Wash", designed to cover most of the grey, not all, so you get more of a salt-and-pepper look. It is quite subtle and looks very natural, unlike the beard dye. I like it.

by Anonymousreply 7November 22, 2021 1:32 AM

I wouldn't bother. I think some greys look handsome on a guys' beard, personally.

by Anonymousreply 8November 22, 2021 1:35 AM

R5 is correct. I use the lightest brown as well on my beard. It ends up still mostly gray with different shades of tan to light brown. Without it, my mustache is dark brown and everything below the lips is white. Not gray, but white. My eyebrows are dark brown. My hair is dark brown, except the temples. I like it to sort of match. The white beard is startling. After dyeing, my face looks more balanced.

by Anonymousreply 9November 22, 2021 1:35 AM

Is this to look younger or are you being matchy-matchy with the rest of your body hair, OP?

I just turned 50--my facial hair has more grey and head has some flecks. I just leave it as is--dying either seems like too much work.

by Anonymousreply 10November 22, 2021 1:42 AM

OP you answered your own question.

it is like wearing a toupee and everyone will think wtf are you doing?

by Anonymousreply 11November 22, 2021 1:43 AM

People will mock you behind your back if you do it. Just go natural.

by Anonymousreply 12November 22, 2021 1:45 AM

Chacun à son goût.

by Anonymousreply 13November 22, 2021 1:46 AM

Ask not that you dye for your beard, but that your beard dyes for you!

by Anonymousreply 14November 22, 2021 1:51 AM

Fuck the world, OP. Do what makes you happy.

by Anonymousreply 15November 22, 2021 1:58 AM

I didn’t want to full on dye it . Just have a few more bits of brown in it. I have always liked that look on other guys. The other thing is I have very dark eyebrows. It was friends who suggested it first tbh. But I was sort of like no way , but now I am thinking maybe they have a point.

by Anonymousreply 16November 22, 2021 1:59 AM

"But I was sort of like no way"

Go with this

by Anonymousreply 17November 22, 2021 2:04 AM

Shawn Mendes recently got a dye job for his beard,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 22, 2021 2:15 AM

I tried it once.

I ran the advice line and they told me that men's hair is different from women’s hair and that beard hair is different from scalp hair.

by Anonymousreply 19November 22, 2021 2:22 AM

Don't do it, OP. The people in this thread asserting that you can get a good result with the standard drug store products are deceiving themselves. We can tell. We can tell.

However, you can usually get a decent result when dyeing your eyebrows. Use the lighter shade. Don't put it on too heavily or leave it on too long. Lots of grey in the eyebrows makes a man look old. Actors working in front of a camera know to keep their eyebrows from showing much grey. Just change that one thing and get a great result. But then stop there.

by Anonymousreply 20November 22, 2021 2:27 AM

Just For Men - the aftermath.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 22, 2021 2:36 AM

Where's the "Oh dear!"

Sigh. Oh, dear, OP.

by Anonymousreply 22November 22, 2021 2:44 AM

My beard is to dye for.

by Anonymousreply 23November 22, 2021 2:47 AM

To Dye For is my favorite film. Nicole Kidman runs a tye-dye business and gets the high school kids to kill her husband!

by Anonymousreply 24November 22, 2021 2:49 AM

I'm gonna dye that man right outta my beard!

by Anonymousreply 25November 22, 2021 4:56 AM

It seldom looks good or very realistic. But, if you decide to do it, follow some tips on here. Don't try and completely get rid of all the grey....it ALWAYS looks fake.

It's funny how so many male celebs dye their hair/facial hair and some of them really not that old and it pretty much always looks so phony. You would think they would find brilliant colorists to do their hair, but so many of them end up with candy bar colored hair.

by Anonymousreply 26November 22, 2021 6:23 AM

I dye my beard, it's way too much grey in it now and I like having a beard but natural colour would be quite aging. I don't have an issue with getting it to match up to my hair, since I have a shaved head.

I actually don't really care if anyone can clock it or not, and if anyone asks then I just tell them I do. I prefer how it looks - I use the Just for Men beard colour, in a medium brown.

by Anonymousreply 27November 22, 2021 9:10 AM

Are you a sexy old chap, OP?

by Anonymousreply 28November 22, 2021 10:00 AM

Actors started dying their beards back in the 2010s when beards were "in," and you could always tell. There were four or five guest stars on Breaking Bad who had obviously dyed beards and hair and they were different tones and looked awful.

Wes Bentley, that guy they keep trying to make a star, has a terrible dye job and I saw him several years ago in a movie where he had a dyed beard, too, it was so distracting.

If actors who have stylists can't make it work, regular people like you and me won't be able to. Trust this.

by Anonymousreply 29November 22, 2021 10:08 AM

Yeah… you don’t want to go two shades darker. Would be obvious, if you’re trying to be subtle. I use Just For Men and also color my pubes. Makes them look thicker.

by Anonymousreply 30November 22, 2021 10:30 AM

Fool above. JFM leaves some gray and natural shading, IF you don't go too dark. I want to try the new JFM beard shampoo. One review said to wet your beard and sit around for like 20 minutes. It did soak in better.

by Anonymousreply 31November 22, 2021 10:32 AM

At least it will get you attention. Of course, the attention will be giggling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 22, 2021 10:33 AM

Exhibit A

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 22, 2021 11:06 AM

No, but it has put a damper on my extracurricular activities.

by Anonymousreply 34November 22, 2021 11:17 AM

Yeah OP, who cares what other people think? That’s why they call it personal grooming. You can tell from some of the comments in this thread, the haters are morons anyway.

Plenty of good advice too.

by Anonymousreply 35November 22, 2021 11:24 AM

People are dying from their beards? WTF. What next?

by Anonymousreply 36November 22, 2021 12:14 PM

Everyone tries it, 95% wisely don't continue. It looks ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 37November 22, 2021 12:42 PM

Burt without the assistance of Black Magic Marker pen #2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 22, 2021 1:15 PM

Try out dyeing your beard and see. Just make sure your beard is nicely shaped and trimmed. I absolutely hate the trend of men (mostly straight) who have gross-looking, unkempt merkin beards.

by Anonymousreply 39November 22, 2021 5:41 PM

Coloring your hair looks fake at first, but after a few washings and a little time in the sun, it mellows down and then looks natural.

by Anonymousreply 40November 22, 2021 10:36 PM

Does your beard have a beard OP?

by Anonymousreply 41November 23, 2021 11:56 AM

Hugh Jackman, age 53 / please critique the hair DL!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 24, 2021 2:18 PM

Ewwwwww puke. Is that Hugh with his ugly "wife". At least he was wise to choose an ugly beard.

by Anonymousreply 43November 24, 2021 2:23 PM

R42 Not him. But, I would say it isn't unheard for a guy not to go gray until much older. My grandfather's hair stayed jet black until his eighties, and he didn't dye it. It is unusual but not outside the realm of possibility.

by Anonymousreply 44November 24, 2021 9:52 PM

[quote]Dying for your beard

Not strictly necessary, but go ahead and die if that seems necessary.

by Anonymousreply 45November 24, 2021 9:55 PM

My beard dumped me and then dyed her hair.

by Anonymousreply 46November 24, 2021 10:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!