Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eddie grovels

Bow before us, cises.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78November 26, 2021 7:42 PM

Is that me?

by Anonymousreply 1November 21, 2021 4:43 PM

But of course a trans actor should be free to play any role.

by Anonymousreply 2November 21, 2021 4:44 PM

The explanation is LITERALLY VIOLENCE:

Yet, as trans writer Jen Richards said in the Netflix documentary Disclosure, cis men playing trans women distorts what it means to be trans.

“Having cis men play trans women, in my mind, is a direct link to the violence against trans women,” she said.

“And in my mind, part of the reason that men end up killing, out of fear that other men will think that they’re gay for having been with trans women, is that the friends – the men whose judgement they fear of – only know trans women from media, and the people playing trans women are the men that they know.

“This doesn’t happen when a trans woman plays a trans woman.”

by Anonymousreply 3November 21, 2021 4:45 PM

It was a mistake. It’s anti-gay propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 4November 21, 2021 4:49 PM

Oh for Pete's sake, you need a star to open a film. I don't want to see some trans amateur struggle through a role. Hollywood hires Brits because they're more professional than American actors.

by Anonymousreply 5November 21, 2021 4:54 PM

I'm sorry but this whole only gay people should play gay roles or only transfolk should pay trans roles is just stupid. Aren't they actors, aren't they supposed to play things they are not?

by Anonymousreply 6November 21, 2021 4:54 PM

Count your blessings and make lemonade, you sniveling Ginger.

by Anonymousreply 7November 21, 2021 4:55 PM

A showbiz story involves his collaboration with Laurence Olivier on the 1976 film Marathon Man. Upon being asked by his co-star how a previous scene had gone, one in which Hoffmann’s character had supposedly stayed up for three days, Hoffmann admitted that he too had not slept for 72 hours to achieve emotional verisimilitude. “My dear boy,” replied Olivier smoothly, “why don’t you just try acting?”

It's a skill; it's called "acting."

by Anonymousreply 8November 21, 2021 4:58 PM

I suspect he has little to no investment in this. What he does have interest in is keeping his name out there for his current role of the Emcee in Cabaret in London.

by Anonymousreply 9November 21, 2021 5:08 PM

they really won't stop until everyone's miserable.

by Anonymousreply 10November 21, 2021 5:11 PM

[quote]"Having cis men play trans women, in my mind, is a direct link to the violence against trans women,” she said.

There is no violence against trans women. They're the safest demographic in the UK.

Maybe it's bad in Brazil, where they're all prostitutes and it's part of the job. That's what skews the world statistics. It's why when trans orgs quote statistics they usually use percentages or worldwide figures, because if you look at the actual numbers there is no need for a trans day of rememberance, not even a trans minute of remembrance.

[quote]"And in my mind, part of the reason that men end up killing"

Because they're men. Killing other men. Men commit most violent crimes. Far more than women.

by Anonymousreply 11November 21, 2021 5:23 PM

Isn't acting make believe? Shouldn't an actor be able to play any part within reason?

by Anonymousreply 12November 21, 2021 5:26 PM

R6 the people whining about it are almost always trans actors. They want the roles for themselves and know they likely won't get the roles unless they can somehow bully their way into them.

Because otherwise you reach a point of absurdity. Only disabled actors can play disabled, only actors with mental illnesses can play characters with mental issues (also applies here), only left-handed people can play left-handed characters, etc.

It's stupid because the various minorities are getting representation anyway by the fact that there is a character that represents their issues. Limiting this to only actors with that specific issue means that people will write less roles for those types of people because the available slate of actors is too small.

by Anonymousreply 13November 21, 2021 5:28 PM

That little shit had no problem filming Fantastic Beasts 3 with that serial-killer of black transwomen of color J.K. Rowling. I fucking wonder why.

But he was perfect for the Danish Girl since he has no balls.

by Anonymousreply 14November 21, 2021 5:37 PM

He could pass as a trans easily due to his androgynous features.

by Anonymousreply 15November 21, 2021 5:39 PM

This is as annoying as saying only gay actors should play gay roles. Ludicrous!

by Anonymousreply 16November 21, 2021 5:44 PM

So, when are gay actors going to be asked to stop playing straight roles?

by Anonymousreply 17November 21, 2021 5:56 PM

Here's the truth, the movie would not have found founding if it didn't star a known actor. Long story short, it wouldn't have been made otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 18November 21, 2021 6:30 PM

His completely colorless lips disturb me.

by Anonymousreply 19November 21, 2021 6:44 PM

[quote]“Having cis men play trans women, in my mind, is a direct link to the violence against trans women,” she said

Funny, I always thought prostitution was the direct link. To each their own.

by Anonymousreply 20November 23, 2021 6:06 AM

It was a boring movie anyway. Only remember seeing his pubes.

by Anonymousreply 21November 23, 2021 6:11 AM

I forgot how unattractive he was

by Anonymousreply 22November 23, 2021 6:14 AM

Most MTF I encounter look like cis men cos playing as trans women so who would know the difference anyway?

by Anonymousreply 23November 23, 2021 6:22 AM

Maybe they assumed he was when they cast him given how unappealing he is.

by Anonymousreply 24November 23, 2021 6:25 AM

Idk how you could cast a trans actor because if you did then you'd be saying they are trans and not the woman they claim they were born as and therefore a terf.

by Anonymousreply 25November 23, 2021 6:29 AM

If a movie or show depicts someone in the process of transitioning and casts a trans actor, isn’t forcing that actor to portray the sex they were assigned at birth a form of violence?

by Anonymousreply 26November 23, 2021 6:32 AM

Yes, Jen Richards. It IS in your mind. R3

by Anonymousreply 27November 23, 2021 6:34 AM

Not one actor is "Cats" was a cat.

LITERAL violence!

by Anonymousreply 28November 23, 2021 6:34 AM

I can't stand the sight of him, so I haven't seen anything he's in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 23, 2021 6:38 AM

I thought he did a bloody good job. After all it is 'acting'...he was soooooo soft and gentle in the role. Candis Cayne or Jamie Clayton would have been pretty hash sounding and looking I feel.

by Anonymousreply 30November 23, 2021 6:58 AM

He's fugly.

by Anonymousreply 31November 23, 2021 7:01 AM

Is the film any good?

by Anonymousreply 32November 23, 2021 7:12 AM

It was not a movie, it was propaganda. Serves him right for kicking Rowling in the face while making money from her brainchild, too.

by Anonymousreply 33November 23, 2021 7:21 AM

Did he attack Rowling?

by Anonymousreply 34November 23, 2021 7:30 AM

R33 quite right, I thought it was very nasty how he spoke against Rowling. And he wouldn't be saying this shit if he'd won the Oscar for this role

by Anonymousreply 35November 23, 2021 7:34 AM

So by this thinking were G and Janet McTeer miscast in Albert Nobbs?

I mean they were trans women with no access to treatment, surgeries etc.

Who should have played those roles?

It has gotten so confusing people will just stop telling trans stories. That movie that Scarlet Johanson quit over Trans furor just never got made I think.

by Anonymousreply 36November 23, 2021 7:38 AM

He was good for a change on that role, because Trans tend to be campy too. I always thought he looks FTM anyway.

by Anonymousreply 37November 23, 2021 10:04 AM

[quote]Hollywood hires Brits because they're more professional than American actors.

No, it's because Hollywood is run mainly by liberals and they have a hard-on for Brits, for some reason. In fact, the farther left you are politically the more Anglophilic and anti-America you are. It's weird. That's why I don't trust the far-left in politics. They have the potential to be Benedict Arnolds. This has never been truer than now (or within the past 10-15 years) when Hollywood shifted the farthest left it's ever been. You never saw so much British casting in Hollywood films until the late 2000s and 2010s. Moderates and the right (who tend to be the most patriotic) would never allow this if they were currently in charge of the entertainment industry.

by Anonymousreply 38November 23, 2021 10:46 AM

Eddie flashed his cock in the movie, though, which may have been tricky for a trans actress (also the character is male-presenting for at least half the movie).

by Anonymousreply 39November 23, 2021 10:59 AM

He didn't even show all of it R39, just a hint of cock!

by Anonymousreply 40November 23, 2021 12:33 PM

I always thought Eddie was trans

by Anonymousreply 41November 23, 2021 12:44 PM

It was not a mistake. It was a challenging role that he portrayed amazingly. One doesn't need to be that category of sexuality, race, ethnicity, political affiliation, handicap, etc. to play a role. This extreme political correctness shit is having serious blow-back in all parts of life.

by Anonymousreply 42November 23, 2021 1:01 PM

If you are making a movie it must be about and only star trans. If at any time the trans star isn't on screen then everyone in screen needs to be talking about and praising the trans. When the trans returns everyone must cheer and thank the trans.

by Anonymousreply 43November 23, 2021 1:07 PM

It’s a shame he feels the need to apologize because he brought great dignity and sensitivity to the role which probably helped rather than hurt the trans community.

by Anonymousreply 44November 23, 2021 1:14 PM

At what age did he fall into a bonfire and do such terrible damage to his "skin"?

Asking for a burn-victim friend, who has had much better restoration work.

by Anonymousreply 45November 23, 2021 1:19 PM

Jen Richards is a PERFECT example of the fucking insanity in Hollywood right now. She has jobs on very high profile projects. And why? Because she’s trans. That’s it. It is just beyond. People have lost their minds giving these gender terrorists thrones they didn’t earn.

by Anonymousreply 46November 23, 2021 1:28 PM

Gender terrorists is a great term!

by Anonymousreply 47November 23, 2021 1:43 PM

He should have just said “I identify as non-binary gender nonconforming trans” and all would have been forgiven.

by Anonymousreply 48November 23, 2021 1:50 PM

Funny I just thought he was an actor playing a part? People who advocate for this whole only gay people should play gay parts, only trans folks should play trans roles etc. are going down a slippery slope. What they are equally arguing is that only straight actors should play straight roles baring gay actors for straight roles, or baring trans people from playing non-trans roles etc.

The reality is, if well known actors didn't take on gay roles or trans roles etc., we'd barely be represented because they wouldn't make these types of films. Hollywood is a business they are there to make money. Their investors put in a shit load of money and want a return, so the studios are going to do all they can to make a profit and that includes hiring "names."

Now, I'm all for greater diversity among performers but what they are calling for will actually limit the amount of work available to LGBTQ+ actors. Rather than having more actors come out, I would think this would keep straight-appearing actors in the closet to avoid limiting the range of work they can take.

by Anonymousreply 49November 23, 2021 3:48 PM

The star power of Laverne Cox will save your Hollywood blockbuster movie about trans Nazi sympathizers!

by Anonymousreply 50November 23, 2021 3:50 PM

^ really, I have my doubts!

by Anonymousreply 51November 23, 2021 4:17 PM

They better watch themselves or “trans” stories won’t be told. In stories like the film that ER starred in it tells the story of a “cis” man who transitions. Wouldn’t it be literal violence to expect a “trans woman” to play a role in which she would have to appear as her “dead” self? Or can such stories only be filmed starring a trans actor that hasn’t transitioned, and then shut down production until they transition to finish filming?

by Anonymousreply 52November 23, 2021 4:38 PM

I don't really care to see any trans stories. I'm not interested in such conflicted tales.

by Anonymousreply 53November 23, 2021 4:52 PM

Still waiting for Caitlyn Jenner to apologize for competing as a man in the Olympics when she knew that she was really a woman inside. A cis man should have been able to do that in her place.

by Anonymousreply 54November 23, 2021 4:54 PM

Isn't the idea of white actors playing black roles the ultimate taboo?

by Anonymousreply 55November 23, 2021 5:00 PM

Yawn, you guys bitch and mosn about straight guys taking all the gay roles. Why not give trans actors a chance?

by Anonymousreply 56November 23, 2021 5:04 PM

Billy Porter IS Bruce Jenner in "Caitlyn's Serial Box!"

by Anonymousreply 57November 23, 2021 5:29 PM

[quote]Why not give trans actors a chance?

Because advanced cases of gender dysphoria and the mayhem they cause by not being treated properly by mental health experts are not by themselves anything but dull and depressing. If the trans person is just some supporting character, like a supportive work friend who everyone likes, nobody would believe it, because that never happens irl.

Plus it's super distracting looking at a non-passable person acting like they're passing, with everyone around them pretending they believe the gender appropriation.

by Anonymousreply 58November 23, 2021 5:31 PM

[quote]And in my mind, part of the reason that men end up killing, out of fear that other men will think that they’re gay for having been with trans women

Jen Richards' (quoted by R3) perfectly illustrates the inherent homophobia underlying trans.

by Anonymousreply 59November 23, 2021 5:37 PM

R52 I never understood that either. How can a trans actor be anything but severely limited?

Like actors are generally narcissistic so I guess trans actors would fit in fine, but then add the crazy on top of that and I don't know why anyone would want to hire them except if they thought they needed performative woke points.

by Anonymousreply 60November 23, 2021 6:48 PM

😂

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 23, 2021 7:47 PM

I haven’t seen the movie, but why couldn’t he simply say this was a fascinating character and as an artist I was excited to explore that. Is that so wrong?

by Anonymousreply 62November 23, 2021 7:56 PM

The "trans ally" bit is a PR move by struggling actors who are trying to enhance their profiles. Since he played trans, he was banking on getting that benefit, however the trans now don't want non trans to play trans characters, so his goodwill among those people went out the window.

He was trying to hang onto it by decrying JK Rowling when she first spoke out, around the time Fantastic Beasts 2 was coming out. But that wasn't enough - it is never enough for the trans activists.

Hence this groveling apology. He should just give it up already and shift focus to banning fox hunting or something.

by Anonymousreply 63November 24, 2021 12:46 AM

R63 That's kind of funny. Quite a pretzel he got twisted into.

by Anonymousreply 64November 24, 2021 3:28 PM

Actors need to stop apologizing.

by Anonymousreply 65November 24, 2021 3:32 PM

What's never mentioned is the FACT that the real life character played as trans in the movie was actually intersex. And he did not have a doting wife but a wife who was a lesbian. Puts a whole different spin on the story.

by Anonymousreply 66November 24, 2021 3:51 PM

That movie was boring as shit and made me kind of not like Eddie however you spell his last name. Strangely, I LOVE the Fantastic Beasts stories. I guess because they are visually stunning and I tend to like backstories, stories that explain the originals. Also, autistic people make me uncomfortable, so it's weird that I don't hate Eddie's character in FB.

Wasn't it on this board that we were discussing The Queen's Gambit, and how that random music teacher was distracting because we couldn't tell if she was supposed to be trans or not? Or did I read that somewhere else? That's just an example of how trans actors can be distracting in roles.

by Anonymousreply 67November 24, 2021 3:58 PM

Actors are highly emotional by nature, that's why they do this shit.

by Anonymousreply 68November 24, 2021 4:09 PM

No, Redminge along with those other woke Potter actors threw JK to the dogs to get some woke points, never mind that the woman had an actual point.

As many have said, this militia will never feel you've done enough. I feel bad for the minority of real trans people who are being "represented" by this group.

by Anonymousreply 69November 24, 2021 5:11 PM

We are our own worst enemy when it comes to these issues

by Anonymousreply 70November 24, 2021 5:12 PM

Give the fools their tar tar sauce.

by Anonymousreply 71November 24, 2021 5:14 PM

Eddie says- Pretending to be STRAIGHT in my real life is a mistake.

by Anonymousreply 72November 24, 2021 5:15 PM

Hahahahaha.

Now that he's admitted to being at fault, he must do MORE! Otherwise it's meaningless!

Special bonus: Take a look at the author, "Tabby"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73November 26, 2021 6:23 PM

Stunning and brave...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74November 26, 2021 6:25 PM

At this point they won't be happy until he transitions

by Anonymousreply 75November 26, 2021 6:25 PM

Tabby's latest tattoo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76November 26, 2021 6:27 PM

The movie was about a biologically born male who, as we say today, "identifies" as female and goes through the transformation of becoming female. Why is a trans actor any more deserving of this part, if more than half of the movie is about the male's struggle to change his sex and he's physically still a man?

Redmayne's groveling is indeed an embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 77November 26, 2021 7:32 PM

Exactly r77.

I can see why a white actor playing an asian, black etc. and vice versa might be offensive, where it involves an actor playing outside of their phenotype. But there is no such thing as a trans (or even gay) phenotype. Every cis person is potentially a transperson in the early part of their "journey".

by Anonymousreply 78November 26, 2021 7:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!