Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Adele 30: Meh

Is there a reason I should like this? Just listened and am thinking...no.

by Anonymousreply 52December 1, 2021 4:11 PM

Now I am listening to this...much better. "Everybody's looking for something...stupid, stupid..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 21, 2021 9:15 AM

Is this another grumbling thread by a grumpy old fat homo? Don't you have a Facobook or an IG to vent, OP?

by Anonymousreply 2November 21, 2021 9:18 AM

Ok Adele-eyo...point taken, but I still disagree...

by Anonymousreply 3November 21, 2021 9:21 AM

"What should I care what the world thinks of me, or let a stranger give me a social disease." - Madge

Adele should stop navel gazing. There is a way to navel gaze and also look outside yourself, and write decent lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 4November 21, 2021 9:24 AM

"I think Adele 30 is amaaazing!!" - Megaloo Duckie-chess of Success!!

by Anonymousreply 5November 21, 2021 9:27 AM

She needs to chill with the makeup.

by Anonymousreply 6November 21, 2021 9:40 AM

Ok - so these lyrics are decent. But my GOD it takes her a generation to sing them. So.Over.It. (and the belaboring of it) [Chorus] To be loved and love at the highest count Means to lose all the things I can't live without Let it be known that I will choose to lose It's a sacrifice, but I can't live a lie Let it be known, let it be known that I tried

by Anonymousreply 7November 21, 2021 9:43 AM

Give me Madge that I can do on the treadmill any day over this caterwauling...Jesus.Fucking.Christ. Didn't Adele just lose 100 lbs?? I will try to work out to this yawling tomorrow, but I think it will be a FAIL!

by Anonymousreply 8November 21, 2021 9:46 AM

Sounds like a load of nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 9November 21, 2021 9:47 AM

R8 she had frickin’ weight loss surgery. Why doesn’t the bitch come clean?

by Anonymousreply 10November 21, 2021 9:48 AM

She and Lana are like sonic Klonopin for me, but critics could not possibly love them more. I don't get it. I have nothing against either, but both sound like slightly warm milk.

by Anonymousreply 11November 21, 2021 9:50 AM

R10 however she lost the weight, good for her! But no one can work out to her music! Like...don't you think she would have some inspiration to write music with a faster pace than fucking geologic time?? My god. I just can't.

by Anonymousreply 12November 21, 2021 9:52 AM

Oh Hi! I am Adele. Here is my new song about the Jurassic Period slowly sliding into the Cretaceous! It is the BOMB, babies!! Super slow paced for those of you on fking K or Coke...yeah babies!!

by Anonymousreply 13November 21, 2021 9:56 AM

R12 I agree she looks great, but why not be honest about how she lost her weight instead of saying it was by increasing exercise and dietary changes? I mean she is trying to be an open book, right?

by Anonymousreply 14November 21, 2021 9:56 AM

R12 Oh My God and Can I Get It from the new album are up-tempo. Most of the album is just rambling clichés sung in endless melisma, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 21, 2021 9:57 AM

Hi, Adele here! I am a fking Diplodocus, but my makeup gay is amaaazing! Just watch my transformation! He uses a thick spackle of cornstarch and water paste to hide my lizard skin. He is a genius! The pancake spackle is very precarious. Good thing that I only move inches every hour!

by Anonymousreply 16November 21, 2021 9:59 AM

I am seeing Adele as more of a T-Rex, but maybe just because of the giant head...not sure.

by Anonymousreply 17November 21, 2021 10:18 AM

This bitch is only 30? It seems like she’s been around for decades.

by Anonymousreply 18November 21, 2021 10:22 AM

Ok. I just tried to work out to the first 2 songs on this album. I fell off my elliptical and now I have a big fking bruise on my tibia. I am going to sue. This is egregious! All the PR for Adele 30 led me to believe this album was transformative! I am still a fat whore and now I have a bruised tibia! Screw you Adele!

by Anonymousreply 19November 21, 2021 11:57 AM

Heavy makeup and regular dye job will give Adele some kind of cancer soon.

by Anonymousreply 20November 22, 2021 4:00 AM

r18 She is 33, idiot.

by Anonymousreply 21November 22, 2021 6:03 AM

LOL Industry insiders are predicting Adele's first week sales will debut [italic] under [/italic] a million copies in the first week. That's a really huge drop off from the first week sales of her last album, which broke the all time record of over 3 million copies sold in a week. Not a good sign for the long term success of this album and, frankly, her career. Expectations were pushed up way too high, especially with the huge viewership of the Oprah special, so to see such an underwhelming opening (from her) after all the hype is going to create some really negative headlines for her. She may not care, but I'm sure her label will.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 22, 2021 7:19 PM

R22 It's still the biggest release of the year, saleswise. She's expected to sell 800-850k week one; the next closest competitor is Taylor Swift's Red (Taylor's Version), which is leading with 369k.

Billboard says it's harder than ever to sell a million copies in a week.

by Anonymousreply 23November 22, 2021 7:45 PM

It’s boring.

by Anonymousreply 24November 22, 2021 7:49 PM

Oh my God is probably the only song from the album I will keep in rotation.

by Anonymousreply 25November 22, 2021 7:52 PM

There are few more immature or annoying ways to begin a thread than "Is there a reason I should like this?"

Why should any of us give a shit as to whether you like it or not?

If you don't like it, I have no cause to convince you otherwise--it's much the same to me if you even live or die.

by Anonymousreply 26November 22, 2021 8:03 PM

I’m ready for her to go away

by Anonymousreply 27November 22, 2021 8:06 PM

Bitchy, bitchy, bitchy. I love her voice and melodies; however, some of the lyrics on 30 do suck. She sounds torchy on some tracks, like Prom Night Slow Dance on others, but I'll take it. So much present-day music is just horseshit. She establishes a consistent mood. I could see fucking to some of these songs. Juicy and humpy. Long live Adele!

by Anonymousreply 28November 22, 2021 8:12 PM

R23 Adele is expected to sell a little over 500,000 copies of CD's and vinyl. Her total, with streaming. is 800,000.

[Quote] Some 500k of Adele’s total should derive from the megastar diva’s handsome CD and vinyl offerings,

Taylor's streaming plus sales number is actually 596,000, with 329,000 in pure sales alone. That's only off Adele's opening number by 200,000 units, not a million or even 500,000. Everyone expected Adele to blow Taylor out of the water, which is why Taylor pushed up her release by one week. If she manages a decent second week showing this week, Taylor may end up doing better than Adele in the long run, in spite of selling less initially, from a re-released album, not an original studio album.

That's a really big body blow to an industry titan like Adele. Not to mention that to come down from 3.3 million first week sales and streaming numbers to under a million is a [bold] huge [/bold] come down, no matter how much anyone tries to spin it otherwise. It doesn't really matter that the industry isn't doing so well these days. The industry was doing abysmally the last time Adele put out an album too and yet she managed to beat NSYNC's record. Regardless of how much anyone in her team tries to spin this, it is a major dent in her seemingly invincible stature and it will get a ton of press coverage, especially in tabloid rags like the Daily Mail, whose fanbase has largely turned on her due to her weight loss.

It's not "the end" for Adele by any means, but it will be seen as a major setback for her, even if she doesn't see it that way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 22, 2021 9:39 PM

Don't be fooled by the downers here. 30 is mostly fabulous! Love it!

by Anonymousreply 30November 24, 2021 11:44 AM

Dull, yawn inducing, weird, grating.

No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 31November 24, 2021 12:01 PM

She has simply worn out her welcome with THIS queen.She used to be fat and down-to-earth. Now....an LA glamazon. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 32November 24, 2021 12:02 PM

So I guess there won’t be another album, until the next breakup?

by Anonymousreply 33November 24, 2021 12:03 PM

It really is SHITE. Maybe two good songs-"Easy on me" being one of them. Her "19" and "21" records were so FUCKING good, but it's been downhill ever since.

What happened?

by Anonymousreply 34November 24, 2021 12:24 PM

Side Note: I bought that album when it was released, R1 and liked it (outside of the title track). The one song I still listen to on a regular basis is "Nobody Knows Me". I love the tour staging.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 24, 2021 12:45 PM

She got old and married and had a kid R34. She’s literally a frau. It doesn’t GET more boring. Why is everyone surprised by this?

by Anonymousreply 36November 24, 2021 3:36 PM

You people in the US are too funny. YES, the US is very important. But, it is not everything. 30 is doing just fine

by Anonymousreply 37November 24, 2021 4:47 PM

R30 here. I posted too quickly before hearing the full album. After a promising start, the latter half is mostly disappointing. Although this may be her most coherent and personal offering to date, it is quite depressing at times. My husband joked that he hopes no one listens to the full album with a knife by their side. Unlike Rolling In the Deep, most of these songs, however poignant they may be, have virtually no opportunity for commercial success. I suppose that Adele has a lot of say so about which songs make the final cut. Clearly, she missed the mark here.

by Anonymousreply 38November 24, 2021 7:25 PM

R37 And you're an idiot for not understanding the point of this thread which is CLEARLY not whether the record will "Do fine."

by Anonymousreply 39November 25, 2021 10:51 AM

It's lacking guitar.

by Anonymousreply 40November 25, 2021 1:59 PM

Left out in the discussion about her supposedly great album “sales” is the fact that it’s barely sold a third of her former albums.

by Anonymousreply 41November 27, 2021 1:23 PM

My main takeaway from the album is that potential suitors should think twice. Girl is a mess.

I think the spoken word interlude between her and her young son in "My Little Love" is self-indulgent, embarrassing and probably not terribly healthy for the kid long term.

My initial reaction to the music was meh, but I've appreciated it a bit more on repeat listens. She can still sing.

by Anonymousreply 42November 27, 2021 1:38 PM

It’s for fraus who find “Dusty in Memphis” too musically challenging.

by Anonymousreply 43November 27, 2021 2:32 PM

I played "30" at work, and my boss (burley lesbian) came by and said, "sounds like a dying cow".

So I guess "caterwauling" from r8 is an apt description for some non-fans.

by Anonymousreply 44November 27, 2021 4:27 PM

I really like Adele. And I love ballads. But 30 was just boring. The ballads felt too forced and over sung.

I watched the Oprah special and every part of me thought: Welp, this is the beginning of the end for Adele's reign.

That said, I will never, ever understand Taylor Swift's insane popularity all these years into her career. She just sells, week after week, new album, old albums recorded. Boring little coffee shop songs about breakups. It's insane. I mean, at least Adele can sing.

(IMHO, The best pop album of the past two years was by Lady Gaga, believe it or not. That Chromatica album is damn good.)

by Anonymousreply 45November 27, 2021 9:54 PM

I hate the song they’re playing on the radio…it’s so formulaic

by Anonymousreply 46November 27, 2021 10:00 PM

I’m struck by how simple and amateurish her songs are, and that no-one seems to notice this. Even a mediocre conservatory student could write vastly superior songs in his sleep.

by Anonymousreply 47December 1, 2021 11:37 AM

Her voice has never been better (see: the CBS special) but I do find her songwriting a bit lacking. Oddly her strongest material from a lyrical standpoint was on ‘19.’

by Anonymousreply 48December 1, 2021 12:18 PM

She gets excessively throaty on one of the later tracks. I'm sure they kept it for its raw, "real" quality but it's possible to roughen up a vocal sound without making the singer sound like they lack control. I doubt she'll hold on to her voice into her 50s and 60s like, say, Lulu.

by Anonymousreply 49December 1, 2021 12:40 PM

I watched this interview with Tori Amos yesterday and I kept thinking about Adele. Amos talks about her marriage and songs that she wrote and abandoned because they might endanger her relationship, but she also talks about songs she wrote stemming from helpless and hopeless feelings from COVID isolation, songs she wrote to "build a forcefield of protection" around her niece, politics, when to fight and when aggression is destructive, being inspired by Bruce Lee, muses, and all manner of things. And I just kept thinking "I wonder if Adele has ever thought about anything other than romantic relationships." Her lyrics seem so trite to me. Now that she has released "30" at age 30, I hope the content of her future work will expand into more thoughtful territory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 1, 2021 3:08 PM

Adele's voice is going. She's not going to be able to keep it much longer.

by Anonymousreply 51December 1, 2021 4:05 PM

Her pedestrian songcraft is tiring

by Anonymousreply 52December 1, 2021 4:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!