Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Could/should Ryan Phillippe play George Michael in a biopic?

Why or why not?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38December 9, 2021 10:55 PM

um, sunglasses and a sour face does not make him George Michael...ever

by Anonymousreply 1November 21, 2021 5:32 AM

Too old.

by Anonymousreply 2November 21, 2021 5:48 AM

R2 = Bryan Singer

by Anonymousreply 3November 21, 2021 5:51 AM

1. He's too old. 2. He can't act. 3. He can't sing. 4. He has no charisma. 5. He looks nothing like George who was olive-skinned and hairy as hell. The fifth one could be fixe with makeup. But the first four makes him an awful candidate.

by Anonymousreply 4November 21, 2021 5:52 AM

Ryan’s skin looks olive, though he does seem naturally hairy in contrast to George.

by Anonymousreply 5November 21, 2021 5:57 AM

DOESN’T seem natural hairy in contrast to George.

by Anonymousreply 6November 21, 2021 6:01 AM

I think George would prefer a real actor. Bonus points if they can sing too. Broadway has a ton of that. UK theatre has a ton of that. Ryan was just a pretty boy who got lucky in Hollywood because he spread his ass for producers.

by Anonymousreply 7November 21, 2021 6:03 AM

For where... Lifetime Original Movies?

by Anonymousreply 8November 21, 2021 6:05 AM

[quote] For where... Lifetime Original Movies?

Hallmark could also have "Do They Know It's Christmas" or "Last Christmas" movie with Ryan as George.

by Anonymousreply 9November 21, 2021 6:08 AM

It would be better than the Studio 54 movie.

by Anonymousreply 10November 21, 2021 4:33 PM

I can't think of anyone famous to play George. He was way too distinctive. I'd rather it be an unknown with talent. Phillippe is box office poison, who would go to see him in a movie? He's still known as the kid from Cruel Intentions. Not hating as he's like a nice person but this type of role is punching above his weight.

by Anonymousreply 11November 21, 2021 8:19 PM

Hairless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 21, 2021 8:27 PM

He'll have to also capture George's later drunken years with the shaved head, sun damage and beer gut.

by Anonymousreply 13November 21, 2021 8:31 PM

Did you see Gosford Park? Ryan Phillipe's English accent is shit. He looked cute in a bowler, but that probably wouldn't be needed in a George Michael bio pic.

Plus, a "straight" actor playing George Michael would be VIOLENCE! Literal murder.

by Anonymousreply 14November 21, 2021 8:34 PM

Should OP get his head suck in the poop hole of a Turkish toilet?

Well?

by Anonymousreply 15November 21, 2021 8:38 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 21, 2021 8:39 PM

Yes, for the park bathroom scene alone.

by Anonymousreply 17November 21, 2021 8:42 PM

George Michael was also a scarred man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 22, 2021 4:11 AM

No one even has George figured out yet , so I don't know how anyone could play him in anything. No one has put any real thought into Freddie Mercury either, and what the public got for it was that lame movie last year as far removed from what really happened as you could get. You could say the same for Prince and so many others as well. People actually bought it that Prince was anti-drug then look how he died. Get people figured out first then take it to the big screen and decide who should play them.

by Anonymousreply 19November 23, 2021 12:19 AM

George was a complex person just like Freddie and Prince. George was self-destructive and suffered from depression, was on every type of drug and was a complete shameless whore who had anonymous dirty public sex with any man who looked his way but he was very professional and magnetic of stage and he was known to be very sweet and generous. He's not someone you could portray as a static, flat character.

by Anonymousreply 20November 23, 2021 12:33 AM

George was a chameleon, he could turn it on and turn it off in a blink of an eye. He took such great pride in his appearance when he was performing on stage. It is amazing how his sense of style is still so relevant today as it was back in the 80’s. There really isn’t anyone that could play George Michael. The person would have to have an incredible voice. Adam Lambert has often said he would love to play George Michael in a movie. Perhaps he could pull it off. The movie would have to be based solely on his musical career because otherwise bringing in his personal life would tarnish anything he accomplished musically.

by Anonymousreply 21November 25, 2021 3:15 AM

Sebastian Croft is Greek and has a long nose like George did. Cast him.

by Anonymousreply 22November 25, 2021 3:17 AM

Lambert I could see as Elvis. But they cast some Disney twink who can't sing instead.

Nobody I can think of had George's swag. I hope Prince never gets a movie about his life either. They don't hire real professionals or risk casting unknowns for these roles anymore.

by Anonymousreply 23November 25, 2021 3:21 AM

He had a very strong charisma, a breathtaking beauty when he was young, to be interpreted by the first so-called actor of Hollywood. George was a hard worker for all his albums. His time fighting Sony Music was unique at the time, his coming out was rare in the 90's as well and his brutal descent into hell and untimely death on Christmas Day. Please, no biopic!

by Anonymousreply 24November 25, 2021 3:38 AM

Yeah, leave George and Prince out of the biopic scene. A total impossibility to capture their essence. Freddie too. Look what we ended up with on that score. Horrible. Though I blame eternally jealous Brian May for most of that. I think Sacha Baron Cohen could have done a good job but May put the shackles on so much of what he would "allow" (what a cunt) Freddie to be shown. Glad Cohen walked.

by Anonymousreply 25November 25, 2021 3:54 AM

I disagree that he had breathtaking beauty. He always seemed quite attainable, especially as he tended towards cherubic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 25, 2021 4:23 AM

R25 I think Cohen wanted to portray both the good and the bad with Freddie. Everyone was afraid the public wouldn't be able to take it, and I think that's essentially true. Freddie enjoys the protection of the hero archetype. The public at large only see him as this wonderful person who could do no wrong.

by Anonymousreply 27November 27, 2021 1:37 AM

I think in a well done, prestige, warts and all biopic, I'd cast Colin Farrell. Both have the swarthy handsomeness to them.

by Anonymousreply 28November 27, 2021 2:05 AM

If Colin Farrell were to play the role, it would have to be about George's Sad Last Days...

by Anonymousreply 29November 27, 2021 2:07 AM

Colin could work. Not only for having a similar enough appearance, olive skin, hairy body and brown eyes. But also the fact he's a capable actor. Ryan can't act nor do an accent.

by Anonymousreply 30November 27, 2021 2:10 AM

R29 It could focus on late era George with flashbacks using another actor. Maybe a miniseries then? I don't understand why so many miniseries / biopics use one actor for all stages of life (the Halston miniseries was one - Ewan would have been fine as late Halston, but not 1960s/1970s Halston).

by Anonymousreply 31November 27, 2021 2:11 AM

Casted.

by Anonymousreply 32November 27, 2021 3:12 AM

R22 That would be pretty great casting IMO

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 28, 2021 8:12 AM

Do you really want to hurt me, OP?

by Anonymousreply 34November 28, 2021 8:51 AM

R22 R33 Sebastian is even specifically Greek Cypriot - just like George.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 28, 2021 2:17 PM

Could George speak any Greek?

by Anonymousreply 36November 30, 2021 3:30 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 9, 2021 10:20 PM

Capturing George's beauty and presence will be tough.

by Anonymousreply 38December 9, 2021 10:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!