Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Medical Tourism: Which Countries Are Best for Specific Cosmetic Procedures?

I've heard that Turkey has the best hair transplant technology - they literally do the implants with robotic technology and it's far cheaper than in the U.S.

Colombia and Costa Rica (I think) are known for doing good dental work at a fraction of the cost of U.S. doctors. Except some of the Colombian dental work I've seen make the teeth too large.

What other countries can you recommend for medical tourism?

by Anonymousreply 31November 24, 2021 7:29 PM

I wouldn't go to Turkey for a hair transplant, because I'm Greek. Turks and Greeks hate each other.

by Anonymousreply 1November 20, 2021 3:52 PM

Hi, Greece troll.

by Anonymousreply 2November 20, 2021 3:55 PM

Brazil generally, Rio de Janeiro, is known for having very good cosmetic surgeons.

But I don't know about specific procedures.

by Anonymousreply 3November 20, 2021 4:11 PM

I used to work in Costa Rica in tourism and we used to bring lots of plastic surgery and dental groups in from the US. They’d come, do a consult, have their procedure and then go spend a week at a beach resort. They’d stop back in San Jose for a final check up and removal of the bandages on the way home. Most of the doctors are US-trained and it was a very popular thing twenty years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4November 20, 2021 4:40 PM

Forget about having surgery in Turkey if you're HIV positive. They test and specifically screen out POS people.

by Anonymousreply 5November 20, 2021 4:45 PM

South Korea has amazing facial plastic surgeons.

by Anonymousreply 6November 20, 2021 4:52 PM

South Korea, Thailand, Turkey

by Anonymousreply 7November 20, 2021 9:52 PM

What OP really wants to know is who does the best penis extensions.

by Anonymousreply 8November 20, 2021 10:44 PM

In Brazil some licensed doctors use banned-in-the-US fillers (like hydrogel and PMMA) for butt injections, which can cause many of the same complications as silicone injections.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 20, 2021 11:01 PM

R6, what about the savings?

Is there really a considerable cost savings once you pay the round-trip flight and accommodations to South Korean?

by Anonymousreply 10November 20, 2021 11:29 PM

I had all my uppers crowned in costa rica and It was good work although they were too long as you said! I was trying to explain the problem in my beginner's Spanish and wasn't getting through. Finally I said simply "caballo" (horse) and the entire office freaked out at once. It was pretty funny. Anyhoo the doc explained they could only make them a little smaller which they did and I was satisfied.

When I lived in Thailand my friend had some surgery on his forearms to remove large polyps, I forget what the condition is called. The hospital was amazing, he had his own room and it was cheap. The only downside in both countries is that they don't have the same access to pain medication/opiates so I was stuck with tylenol and my friend in Thailand was a little uncomfortable post op too. I come to find out that developing countries aren't able to get the pain meds they need even for terminal conditions, very sad.

by Anonymousreply 11November 20, 2021 11:43 PM

Thanks, R11

If we assume the average cost of a crown in the US is $1,000, and most adults have 16 upper teeth, the average cost of capping all your upper teeth would be about $16,000.

Do you remember what your savings were by having the work done in Costa Rica?

by Anonymousreply 12November 21, 2021 12:20 AM

Personally, I'd say Korea for vaneers. From what I can see, they look more realistic than when you'd get in the US.

by Anonymousreply 13November 21, 2021 12:46 AM

It was hilarious walking through the airport in Istanbul and seeing all the Middle Eastern men with their brand new hair plugs. It's so common there they didn't bother trying to hide the scars or bandages.

by Anonymousreply 14November 21, 2021 1:05 AM

R12 I also needed 2 root canals which were $250 each and the crowns were maybe $400 each. Everything was 1/3 the cost of what I was quoted in the U.S. It was a no brainer for me. This was in 2011 but my partner just paid 1800 dollars for a root canal by an endodontist and 800 for the crown here in California so no matter how much prices have gone up in Costa Rica, it will be a steal if you don't have good dental insurance. Even with airfare and hotel it's a bargain. Absolutely no regrets.

by Anonymousreply 15November 21, 2021 1:14 AM

Los Algodones in Mexico, right across the border outside Yuma for dental. It’s an easy day trip from Palm Springs. I’ve had multiple implants done there at a fraction of the cost of anything in a California. Most all their dentists are came out of schools in the U.S. I couldn’t be happier with their work. I go to Sani Dental, super clean, modern and with all the latest equipment.

If you need inexpensive frames and lenses, there are also a ton of optometrists there,

by Anonymousreply 16November 21, 2021 1:27 AM

In my mid-50s, which country is better for a brow lift, lower face lift (no eye work), Turkey or Mexico?

by Anonymousreply 17November 23, 2021 11:28 AM

South Korea. They are the best and so far ahead of the curve, procedure wise. If they could actually get a handle on Barfenney Frankel's jaw from hell, nothing is beyond their talent. Bella aka "the other one" Hadid got herself a whole new fucking face, though someone went too far on the nose and she "lost" a lot of her bridge. That could have been from an earlier surgery in CA though.

Botox my ass, B.

It won't be cheap, but it's about the same as a good Manhattan doctor. And they will do things our doctors won't do, or aren't as good at. (Jaw work, eye work to "open" small eyes)

by Anonymousreply 18November 23, 2021 12:14 PM

Tom Cruise gets his work done in Brazil.

His last trip was less successful than others.

by Anonymousreply 19November 23, 2021 12:19 PM

Thailand's fine for run-of-the-mill medical care. Dentistry if you choose carefully can be better than first-rate.

But there's been lots of inflation in the past decade or so, so don't expect the sort of bargains you may once have read about.

by Anonymousreply 20November 23, 2021 12:23 PM

The length of the flight to South Korea really unnerves me, do you think Mexico or Costa Rica do good facial work on this side of the world?

by Anonymousreply 21November 23, 2021 8:46 PM

r21 Mexico for dental, especially PV. They are as high tech as we are and PV has far less of a language barrier than most areas which is a comfort when you are getting a procedure. But I would not get facial or body work done in that country. I wouldn't get anything done in Costa Rica.

Manhattan doctors for the win, if you aren't feeling like the flight to South Korea. They keep you looking like yourself, just refreshed. California doctors always have to take it one step, sometimes four steps too far.

by Anonymousreply 22November 24, 2021 12:44 AM

Do you do the Korean consultation with the surgeon online, so you can just show up and have the work done? Do they have someone to help you get to your hotel after? I need an eye lift.

by Anonymousreply 23November 24, 2021 1:06 AM

[quote] I wouldn't get anything done in Costa Rica.

It's so irritating when these blanket dismissals don't include the reason. How is this helpful?

by Anonymousreply 24November 24, 2021 3:03 PM

I have one crown, done in Costa Rica.

It was many years ago but I think it was about 10% of the price.

Check the reviews.

Old Germans are flocking to Istanbul for hair transplants.

by Anonymousreply 25November 24, 2021 3:21 PM

Thailand is popular for sex changes, much cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 26November 24, 2021 3:29 PM

I had a bridge and crown done in Costa Rica in March of 2020. I paid 25% of what my US dentist quoted, and the dentist did a great job. I ended up getting kicked out of the country because of covid, but managed to get the work completed.

by Anonymousreply 27November 24, 2021 3:37 PM

Hungary for new teeth, Turkey for new hair, Thailand for a new pussy.

by Anonymousreply 28November 24, 2021 3:42 PM

Who has good dental insurance, r15?

The only plans in my city only cover checkups and maybe $200 toward any needed procedure.

by Anonymousreply 29November 24, 2021 4:12 PM

Don't ask me, the last time I had good dental insurance was 1984, the year late capitalism began in Orwell's dystopia. I only added that to my post because my cost/benefit ratio for going to Costa Rica was based on NO dental insurance.

Since I don't know other people's situation I didn't want to mislead anyone.

by Anonymousreply 30November 24, 2021 4:59 PM

My dental plan is decent. In addition to 2 checkups a year, they aren't stingy with other procedures. For instance, I got Invisalign last year and while I had to pay $2,000, insurance covered $5,000.

by Anonymousreply 31November 24, 2021 7:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!