Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WHET Robert Downey Jr?

He was supposed to be the acting wonderchild of his generation. Then he was arrested for his drug use.

Sure he made millions in superhero movies--but is that all he's good for nowadays?

Will he ever get an Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 52August 5, 2022 12:38 AM

Sobriety - yuck

by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2021 4:06 PM

He suffers from RTS allegedly. It turned him into a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 2November 19, 2021 4:07 PM

He was gang raped in prison.

by Anonymousreply 3November 19, 2021 5:06 PM

He's fine with his net worth of $300 million, and sends his love.

At this point he can select the projects he wants.

by Anonymousreply 4November 19, 2021 5:11 PM

He's still famous. Sure his recent stuff flopped but he's known as Iron Man and Sherlock Holmes. Like Paul Rudd and Patrick Dempsey, his career rebounded from the 90s and he maintained relevance into the 21st century.

by Anonymousreply 5November 19, 2021 5:29 PM

Haven't we done this thread twice in the last few months?

by Anonymousreply 6November 19, 2021 5:44 PM

His upcoming stuff includes a role in Oppenheim and four concurrent roles (as different men) in a Vietnamese 20th century historical drama.

I think he has a few non-superhero moments left to play out.

And I like him personally. He was gorgeous as a youth; I think he's smart and witty and still has those soft brown eyes.

by Anonymousreply 7November 19, 2021 6:01 PM

Obviously he has issues about his sexual assault in prison. But who put him in that situation? On one level, I feel bad for what happened to him. But OTOH, most people in his situation weren’t born into privilege. A wad of bills can reduce the pain of surprise anal.

by Anonymousreply 8November 19, 2021 6:02 PM

Did he confirm that he was assaulted in prison?

by Anonymousreply 9November 19, 2021 6:03 PM

Photo of the RDJ in the wild (with young).

Note the ingenious hanging nest, suitable for the RDJ to curl up and take a nap between blueberry hunts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 19, 2021 6:03 PM

I'll be sure to check the bank accounts of rape victims and adjust my sympathy levels accordingly, R8.

First off, he was a drug addict - not a violent criminal or Republican talk show host. What put him in jail was this country's belief that pot and murder are moral equals.

Second - he had no money when he got out of jail. His career was in the toilet. He was sleeping on friends' sofas. His parents were not really in the picture.

He rebuilt his life with help from friends because he made friendships that those people evidently valued.

I respect that.

by Anonymousreply 11November 19, 2021 6:09 PM

He rebuilt his life whelp from wealthy influential friends. Far different than a regular joe. I don’t respect that.

by Anonymousreply 12November 19, 2021 6:15 PM

Given the fact that plenty of people in the film industry DIDN'T rebuild their lives from similar low points, I guess we'll just have to agree that we have different standards for behavior.

by Anonymousreply 13November 19, 2021 6:19 PM

He's had his comeback and now he is doing something very wise by being quiet and staying out of the spotlight. Americans love a comeback or success story.... until they start seeing too much of a person. Then the public turns vicious very quickly.

by Anonymousreply 14November 19, 2021 6:23 PM

He was at some GQ event last night by the looks of it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 19, 2021 6:26 PM

He made more money than god. He sends his love OP

by Anonymousreply 16November 19, 2021 6:42 PM

RDJ's son is his spitting image.

by Anonymousreply 17November 19, 2021 6:55 PM

He's really a boring actor. Good but boring

by Anonymousreply 18November 19, 2021 7:02 PM

He's hilarious in Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.

by Anonymousreply 19November 19, 2021 7:03 PM

He kinda did in this interview R9. That was of course pre Marvel fame and when he was more or less openly bi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 19, 2021 7:08 PM

He is a guy who does lots of good on the down low on a personal level.. He is generous, kind & quite humble & human.

Loved him in Sherlock & Tropic Thunder, Home for the Holidays, Iron Man, Weird Science, Less than Zero, True Believer, Soapdish(a real fav.), US Marshalls, Natural Born Killers, Richard III and many more.

As to his boohooing about an Oscar, maybe he's a bit evolved & like K. Stewart could care less. I think it isn't such a badge of honor anymore. The Academy has killed its own goose.

by Anonymousreply 21November 19, 2021 7:33 PM

She died in a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 22November 19, 2021 7:34 PM

Let me see, OP....he's stuck in a pandemic like the rest of us and is furthermore taking some time off to lick his wounds after Dolittle turned into Robert Please Donotdothateveragain.

He has some interesting stuff in the pipeline and I'm actually looking forward to Sherlock Holmes III (the first movie sucked but the second was great campy satire).

He looks great for his age.

by Anonymousreply 23November 20, 2021 2:05 AM

R17, in the pic at R10 - yeah, I totally see it. What's more I suspect his son probably acts a lot like him, so no pre-sweetened breakfast cereals in that house.

by Anonymousreply 24November 20, 2021 2:06 AM

The older he gets, the more queenlier he gets.

by Anonymousreply 25November 20, 2021 2:09 AM

I thought he was wonderful in RESTORATION. Can't believe that was 26 years ago!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 20, 2021 2:19 AM

Are you sure R25?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 20, 2021 7:44 AM

That vanity fair interview was pretty sad. Thank you who ever posted as have never read that. It's great he turned his life around. As that is not easy. Gawd prison would be the worst. Can you imagine? I don't know his sexuality but he seems very gay friendly and not in a baiting way.

by Anonymousreply 28November 20, 2021 8:46 AM

RDJ was great in Tropic Thunder (as was Tom Cruise). But he gets alot of shit for that role now.

by Anonymousreply 29November 20, 2021 8:52 AM

It seemed that he really disliked Hugh Grant on the set of Restoration - anyone know why?

by Anonymousreply 30November 23, 2021 1:34 AM

Robert Downey, Jr. is fine, and sends his warmest best wishes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 23, 2021 1:37 AM

Automobile collection....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 23, 2021 1:38 AM

Congratulating Scarlett Johansson...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 23, 2021 1:39 AM

Charming guy--beautiful when he was young.

by Anonymousreply 34November 23, 2021 1:45 AM

"Will he ever get an Oscar?"

When, If, unless or until they start giving Academy Awards for action films or things based upon comic strips, my guess would be Robert Downey, Jr. won't be getting one.

Sherlock Holmes III is set for release in 2023, but again don't see how RDJ would be in running for an Oscar from that performance.

by Anonymousreply 35November 23, 2021 1:55 AM

R35, as above, Downey has just been cast in Oppenheim, which given the subject matter, may or may not put him in the running.

I think if he gets the nomination, he'll win the award.

by Anonymousreply 36November 23, 2021 2:23 AM

He should have won for Chaplin. Al Pacino was an embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 37November 23, 2021 2:27 AM

Chaplin was laughably horrible! Utter shite

by Anonymousreply 38November 23, 2021 2:30 AM

If he died in the late 90s, he would have been seem as a legend by the media and he'd have an even bigger cult of fans.

by Anonymousreply 39November 24, 2021 3:10 AM

*seen

by Anonymousreply 40November 24, 2021 3:10 AM

R39, what makes you say that? His output in the late 90s was pretty weak and he generally looked like death warmed over by then.

I think that RDJ is one of those people who started beautiful, went through a sort of goofy-looking phase and then aged well.

by Anonymousreply 41November 24, 2021 2:33 PM

He's very rich and famous, and in multiple major films a year....

by Anonymousreply 42November 24, 2021 5:12 PM

He hit rock bottom in the late 90s and that was the most likely time he would have died. Even though his career was drying up. He had made a number of interesting films. There would have been revisionist history in regards to his career. Just like everyone who died young.

by Anonymousreply 43November 24, 2021 5:21 PM

Here's an snap of RDJ and his drama class award. Some interesting details there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 24, 2021 6:07 PM

I think he looks like hell in his old age- wrinkled, thin lipped, thin skinned with shoe polish on his head. I saw a few minutes of iron man 2 and was distracted by how rough he looked.

He was adorable when young though and seems like a genuinely nice person.

by Anonymousreply 45November 24, 2021 6:15 PM

Is he a smoker?

by Anonymousreply 46November 25, 2021 12:52 AM

He made millions in stupid roles and has no will to stretch himself as an actor anymore. He was supposed to be the great hope of acting. Instead he got sucked up by Hollywood money as happens so often

by Anonymousreply 47November 25, 2021 1:18 PM

I watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang recently. RDJ and Val Kilmer had such great chemistry. Val's role was refreshing gay representation, not a stereotype nor eunuch. Great dark comedy, compared to Quentin Tarantino's work but I think the writing and dialogue is far better than a lot of Tarantino's.

RDJ has this skill that a lot of actors do not have and that's vulnerability. He makes you feel sorry for him even when he plays the most selfish and destructive characters. He acts with his eyes.

by Anonymousreply 48April 20, 2022 1:24 PM

Great actor doing schlock for the payout.

Sorry, it's a smart move but he's got no respect for his own instrument.

Now that he's richer than Croesus, he should return to serious work and end out his career like Christopher Plummer. Then he can be remembered fondly, instead of for stupid shit like Iron Man and Sherlock (he never should have touched the latter).

by Anonymousreply 49April 20, 2022 1:44 PM

RDJ could easily return to serious work. Iron Man and Sherlock were not bad as far as Hollywood popcorn fare goes. I enjoyed him in both. Doolittle and Due Date though, yes that was a mistake. He hasn't gotten to Johnny Depp level of destroying his credibility with schlock.

by Anonymousreply 50April 20, 2022 1:51 PM

He’s still closeted . That’s difficult to stay sober

by Anonymousreply 51August 5, 2022 12:04 AM

r50 Nah, he';s going to schlock. .. it's easier than taking schlong.

At this point, he's just a character actor and that character is RDJ. RDJ as....

He'll need to duck out of the spotlight until the hype fades to do a meatier role and show off his talents.

But he doesn't has much else than (not quite so) ambiguously gay to offer.... and Tom Hank's won't let him do that anymore.

by Anonymousreply 52August 5, 2022 12:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!