Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kristen Stewart On Being Oscar Nominated “I don’t give a shit.”

Actress Kristen Stewart delivers the performance of her career in Pablo Larraín’s “Spencer,” which has thrust her to the forefront of the best actress conversation. But when asked about her thoughts about possibly nabbing her first nom, she bluntly, albeit sarcastically, tells Variety‘s Awards Circuit Podcast, “I don’t give a shit.”

Adds Stewart: “The Oscars are such a funny thing. There are so many incredible movies and performances that barely get seen. It definitely says something about where we’re at as a cumulative presence – what we’re looking at, what we care about. I really appreciate that something that I was involved in, has ignited such a large conversation. We don’t make movies to not connect with each other.”

by Anonymousreply 66December 5, 2021 9:24 AM

Then don't show up when you're nominated...

by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2021 2:03 AM

What's the difference between a "nod" and a "nom?"

by Anonymousreply 2November 19, 2021 2:49 AM

I don't think she's in any 'danger' of being nominated for an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 3November 19, 2021 3:05 AM

Her speech would probably be super awkward.

by Anonymousreply 4November 19, 2021 3:06 AM

I should have played the part of Diana!!! After all, I am an actress.....and family(?!).........

by Anonymousreply 5November 19, 2021 3:09 AM

After calling the Oscars "garish" and "embarrassing" in the early 70s, Dustin Hoffman, inevitably, showed up to accept both of his a few years later. Most actors, however blase they pretend to be, cannot resist the spotlight.

by Anonymousreply 6November 19, 2021 4:02 AM

Hoffman later admitted that his feelings were hurt when he wasn't nominated for Little Big Man and Papillion and that his criticism of the academy was due to sour grapes.

For his Kramer speech he is still a little angry but by the time of Tootsie he was an enthusiastic participant in the thing and from then on.

by Anonymousreply 7November 19, 2021 4:23 AM

I remember when it was hip to act like you didn't care about the Oscar but then you miraculously still showed up to accept it. Then the Oscars really picked up mainstream viewership and late Gen X and forward unabashedly started accepting their Oscar moments proudly to the point that they became prom night for major stars. Now people actually seek out Oscars in a way that makes them unsavory almost. They're not as fun to watch. It doesn't help that there's seldom surprises. Although I will admit that when there is is surprise now it is way more shocking. I predicted Anthony Hopkins could win when I saw The Father but when he actually won I was so shocked and happy because I found the performance astonishing and detailed.

by Anonymousreply 8November 19, 2021 4:27 AM

"Little Big Man" was one of the best Hoffman performances I've seen; "Papillion", not so much...he was kind of annoying.

by Anonymousreply 9November 19, 2021 4:33 AM

I think once the Oscars became big business with VHS rentals and stuff it became mandatory for actors to attend. If you watch clips from the 70s people barely bother to attend if they aren't expected to win. And British people didn't bother flying all the way in.

I think in say the 90s forward or so an actor not attending would be losing money for the film. I wonder if they are contracted to attend. (attending all those preliminary awards must be a chore though. Critic's Choice especially. How humiliating.)

by Anonymousreply 10November 19, 2021 4:35 AM

I loathe her. She’s so twitchy and angsty and thirsty but shy and awkward. But worst of all… she seems dumb. Uneducated. Inarticulate.

by Anonymousreply 11November 19, 2021 4:36 AM

When Hoffman won in 1980, he and Jack Lemmon were the only Best Actor nominees who showed up.

by Anonymousreply 12November 19, 2021 4:38 AM

Sure Kristen. You don't dive a shit. So what designers have started sending you shit?

by Anonymousreply 13November 19, 2021 4:38 AM

I think there are others like that too r12.

Jane Fonda's first win she and Janet Suzman are the only ones there.

by Anonymousreply 14November 19, 2021 4:40 AM

Frances McDormand and Anthony Hopkins didn't even bother to log into their computer for all the preliminary awards last year that were given to people at home. (and then they both won Oscars! It's like people hate the thirstiness of it. Viola Davis throwing her hand in the air at her umpteenth SAG win was a bit much. To quote M: Poor Viola.)

by Anonymousreply 15November 19, 2021 4:43 AM

I started watching the Oscars in 86 and most nominees were attending at the time. Based on shows I've gone back and watched, stars really started attending about the mid 70s

by Anonymousreply 16November 19, 2021 4:43 AM

We need a year off from Viola.

by Anonymousreply 17November 19, 2021 4:44 AM

Her parents worked in Hollywood. She did some minor films. Then Twilight happened and was popular. That's why she has a career. She's very lucky and should be grateful.

by Anonymousreply 18November 19, 2021 4:45 AM

Is she still lez?

by Anonymousreply 19November 19, 2021 4:47 AM

1977 Supporting Actor is a year where only Peter Firth of Equus showed up. All other 4 stayed home.

Jason Robards was on Broadway. Bob Hope made some joke about his not being there which Robards was offended by. He said he wanted to be there but couldn't because of the show (although shortly after that with Mickey Rooney in Sugar Babies producers started cancelling shows to let their stars go to the Oscars---and bring all that publicity home.)

by Anonymousreply 20November 19, 2021 4:56 AM

I like her but the way she said “cumulative presence” is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 21November 19, 2021 5:00 AM

R4 forget about the speech. She can't even handle holding a trophy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 19, 2021 12:19 PM

She does give a wonderful performance. However, the plot is very odd and slow-moving, like being in Princess Di's head for the whole movie.

by Anonymousreply 23December 1, 2021 1:41 AM

This is what you do when you are trying to cultivate a cool and aloof public persona. But, I guarantee you, if they nominate her she will be at the Oscars dressed to the nines and praying to win.

by Anonymousreply 24December 1, 2021 1:47 AM

She gave a wonderful performance of someone sly, fey, and trembling like a rabbit, but that person bore no resemblance to Diana (and I don’t mean superficially). For that I blame the writer and director more than her.

by Anonymousreply 25December 1, 2021 1:48 AM

If she said it sarcastically and doesn't mean it, there's no story.

by Anonymousreply 26December 1, 2021 1:48 AM

I thought she gave a great performance in a messy underwhelming movie, much like Andrew Garfield in Under the Silver Lake.

by Anonymousreply 27December 1, 2021 1:49 AM

I hate her and consider her incredibly overratd but I have to agree with her here. And I guess I go against the current because most of my life I have valued and cherished the Oscars but in the last few years I just see them as embellished popularity contests where people are less there to celebrate art and more there to celebrate themselves. It really started going downhill since they added 8 best film slots. I haven't watched a ceremony in 6 years.*

by Anonymousreply 28December 1, 2021 2:16 AM

Is an Oscar going to make much difference to her? She already gets to work with pretty interesting directors… is probably set for life from twilight… I really don’t think an Oscar means all that much anymore it really won’t change much unless you were an unknown winning one.

by Anonymousreply 29December 1, 2021 5:23 AM

R26 sarcasm is Kristen's default setting.

by Anonymousreply 30December 1, 2021 7:38 AM

Ugh, that’s just so ugly to hear. We’ve gone from leading ladies such as Grace Kelly and Audrey Hepburn to this?

by Anonymousreply 31December 1, 2021 8:44 AM

Grace Kelly?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 1, 2021 5:12 PM

Well bashing the Oscars worked for Joaquin.

by Anonymousreply 33December 1, 2021 5:16 PM

She is trying to out-do Frances McDormand in the "I don't give a shit about the Oscars" category. Maybe Kristen will show up in a potato sack as well.

by Anonymousreply 34December 1, 2021 5:26 PM

R30 She seems bitter.

by Anonymousreply 35December 1, 2021 8:33 PM

She’ll probably come out as trans in five years when the attention is running dry.

by Anonymousreply 36December 1, 2021 9:19 PM

R34, if I do show up in a potato sack, it will be Chanel Haute Couture.

by Anonymousreply 37December 1, 2021 9:31 PM

[quote]When Hoffman won in 1980, he and Jack Lemmon were the only Best Actor nominees who showed up.

T’would be hilarious if one year none of the actors in a particular category showed-up.

“And the winner is—

by Anonymousreply 38December 1, 2021 9:44 PM

[quote]What's the difference between a "nod" and a "nom?"

Kneepads.

by Anonymousreply 39December 1, 2021 9:47 PM

I wish Joan Rivers was still around to take these pretentious bitches down a peg or two.

I'm looking at you, Frances & Kristen......

by Anonymousreply 40December 1, 2021 9:49 PM

I too miss Ms. Rivers. Also, they should've had her host one year and since she is gone the only person who should be asked today is Ricky Gervais. The public craves someone who will cut them down to size.

by Anonymousreply 41December 1, 2021 9:51 PM

Jane Fonda was originally going to refuse the Oscar for "Klute" as a protest to the "system" - but her father Henry Fonda talked her out of it

by Anonymousreply 42December 1, 2021 9:52 PM

Glenda Jackson didn't show up for EITHER of her Oscar wins - saying she really didn't deserve it

The only awards she showed up for was accepting her Tony Award

by Anonymousreply 43December 1, 2021 9:54 PM

I understand not caring but I feel it comes across as ungrateful and sign of having that privilege in Hollywood. Like she's trying to show "she's too cool for school". She doesn't have to attend and someone can accept the award for her place. It's a dying institution anyway and I feel like what she is saying is a bit redundant. If she cares a lot about unknown directors and alternative movies, she could promote them too. Indie directors still want attention and need money. She's not a bad person but sometimes she seems clueless about her connections and privileges.

by Anonymousreply 44December 1, 2021 10:11 PM

R35 i think she's lightened up since Twilight.

R44 that's because she is. She doesn't have a filter and is prone to foot in mouth disease.

by Anonymousreply 45December 2, 2021 4:08 AM

I was so irrationally annoyed by the opening shot of her in Spencer showing off the Chanel logo on her sunglasses. I don’t even disbelieve that Diana wore Chanel sunglasses, but you know the only reason that was shown in the film was her sponsorship deal. It just disgusted me.

by Anonymousreply 46December 2, 2021 1:05 PM

Yeah, this movie is in no way Oscar worthy in any aspect. It was laughable camp.

by Anonymousreply 47December 2, 2021 1:13 PM

So was Jackie. Awful movie. Portman was embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 48December 2, 2021 1:53 PM

I absolutely loved Jackie (I would have given it Best Picture) so I was even more disappointed in Spencer.

by Anonymousreply 49December 2, 2021 1:58 PM

Kate was the only one who could get away with it...four times.

by Anonymousreply 50December 2, 2021 2:08 PM

R44 is right; she just seems like kind of an asshole. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to play the award show game - but you don't have to be a jerk about it either

by Anonymousreply 51December 2, 2021 5:12 PM

R51 Yes exactly. And to make matters worse she seems oblivious to the fact that nepotism is why she is getting all the meaty and avant-garde type of roles. Many indie directors likely just use her to get the funding that they need. Not because she's this exceptional talent.

Thousands of actors work hard, they live modestly and work many jobs to make ends doing what they love. Most actors are not famous and many never ascend from doing minor roles. Getting an Oscar would matter a lot to a struggling journeyman actor who finally got their big break. All these big name actors who diss it seem to do so just to seem edgy. I do think Oscars mean something to those who win. Unlike the Grammys.

She just seems ungrateful and kinda rude because she really is blessed to have parents in Hollywood who opened the doors for her. Even Twilight, she seems dismissive of but again that helped her career too.

by Anonymousreply 52December 2, 2021 7:34 PM

She’s such a liar. Every actor wants to win or they wouldn’t show up. Ironically she probably came closest to being nominated when she was golden globe nominated for Interview With The Vampire nearly 30 years ago. Her mostly shitty resume is why she hasn’t been.

by Anonymousreply 53December 2, 2021 7:44 PM

My bad thought it was Kirsten Dunst. ^^^ lol

by Anonymousreply 54December 2, 2021 7:48 PM

I was impressed when Brando didn't show for his second oscar due to the way Native Americans had/were being portrayed in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 55December 2, 2021 7:49 PM

R53 here I stand my piece anyway. In fact Stewarts resume is worse.

by Anonymousreply 56December 2, 2021 7:50 PM

Kirsten Dunst is very talented. So is Christina Ricci. Even as kids they were great.

by Anonymousreply 57December 2, 2021 7:55 PM

Never mind not showing up, don't let your agent submit you for consideration then.

by Anonymousreply 58December 2, 2021 8:02 PM

NO OSCAR FOR YOU!

by Anonymousreply 59December 2, 2021 8:06 PM

I think Kirsten dunst is overdue at least a nod.

by Anonymousreply 60December 3, 2021 12:44 PM

[Quote] Even Twilight, she seems dismissive of but again that helped her career too.

Well even Summit underestimated how popular Twilight was. I like Catherine Hardwick (and she's the reason Rob and Kristen signed on). But it just doesn't work as an indie movie. Rob consistently talked shit about it in interviews whereas Kristen tried to defend it.

by Anonymousreply 61December 4, 2021 3:25 AM

I rented the movie for a fortune and didn't make it halfway through. So boring, and no special insight into Di or the story.

by Anonymousreply 62December 4, 2021 1:05 PM

He could have made a great film about an unknown character—a rich, troubled woman trapped with relatives for the holiday weekend. But this director likes to play with the personae of famous women, like he did in Jackie, which means he builds in the assumption that the audience will use their knowledge of the lead character as a cultural figure to fill in the blanks he leaves in the story. Because this portrayal of Diana was so unlike her, I felt unwilling and unable to go along with the director on this two-hour ride.

I would be very interested to see his take on Anne Boleyn, though, I think he has something there.

by Anonymousreply 63December 4, 2021 1:25 PM

Maybe he should do Boleyn or some other historical figure that people today dont have ties to or any idea how they really would have acted.

by Anonymousreply 64December 4, 2021 1:30 PM

R32 Who cares what any of them did in private? We’re talking about public presentation.

by Anonymousreply 65December 5, 2021 8:25 AM

[quote]So boring, and no special insight into Di or the story.

What special insight could they highlight? She was a simple girl who got trapped by fame and fortune. When they approached her about the arraigned marriage she should have run in the opposite direction.

by Anonymousreply 66December 5, 2021 9:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!