Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Add me to the unemployed masses. Commencing weekend drinking in 3...2...1.

found out about 2 1/2 hours ago. Glad I socked away a ton in my savings.

by Anonymousreply 83November 27, 2021 1:07 AM

Did they get rid of you because you’re a great, big fat person.

by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2021 12:53 AM

I don't care about you.

by Anonymousreply 2November 19, 2021 12:54 AM

What field, OP, because a lot of industries are clamoring for workers.

by Anonymousreply 3November 19, 2021 12:55 AM

Retire!

by Anonymousreply 4November 19, 2021 12:55 AM

Nope. They don't even know how fat I am because we've been working from home for almost 2 years now. Interest rates went up and something else that is going to affect interest rates at the beginning of the year. Cut our pipeline down to less than half of what we've been funding.

by Anonymousreply 5November 19, 2021 12:56 AM

I'm sorry, OP.

Good luck to you!

by Anonymousreply 6November 19, 2021 12:57 AM

r3 mortgage loan processing

by Anonymousreply 7November 19, 2021 12:57 AM

[quote] Cut our pipeline

Are you an oil worker? Do you drink of the pump?

by Anonymousreply 8November 19, 2021 12:59 AM

Sorry. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 9November 19, 2021 1:02 AM

oil rig cocksucker faggot.

by Anonymousreply 10November 19, 2021 1:02 AM

[quote] Cut our pipeline

Are you an oil worker? Do you stink of the pump?

by Anonymousreply 11November 19, 2021 1:02 AM

R10 = Matt Damon

by Anonymousreply 12November 19, 2021 1:03 AM

thanks r9.

Nothing to do with oil industry. Banking.

by Anonymousreply 13November 19, 2021 1:04 AM

tarheelghey? at least you live with mommy.

by Anonymousreply 14November 19, 2021 1:06 AM

I don't know what a tarheelghey is and I haven't lived with my mother for over 34 years.

by Anonymousreply 15November 19, 2021 1:08 AM

How much do you consider a "ton" of savings, OP?

by Anonymousreply 16November 19, 2021 1:11 AM

How old are you? This is probably a great time to be looking for work unless you are very near retirement age. Are you going to look for work or just collect unemployment?

by Anonymousreply 17November 19, 2021 1:15 AM

over 40k

by Anonymousreply 18November 19, 2021 1:15 AM

There is a job surplus.

by Anonymousreply 19November 19, 2021 1:15 AM

i'm 54. I'll apply for unemployment tomorrow because it will at least pay my rent/utilities but I need a job because i am moving to another state next year to be near family and really can't rent a place without an income.

by Anonymousreply 20November 19, 2021 1:17 AM

Sorry, OP.

I was laid off the first week of December a few years back and I think any employer who lays anyone off close to the holidays should be pelted with mounds and mounds of shit.

by Anonymousreply 21November 19, 2021 1:17 AM

OP, I co-own a smallish business and our bank rep that did work for us and got our PPP loans for us had his whole department deleted. Now we have no one to help us or answer questions, I had to wait for 20 minutes on hold to fix a problem on their end. I was told I need to go to inside a branch to get a new guy, I went in and they said they couldn't help me and that I should call a number. It's ridiculous. This was Fifth Third Bank, but I imagine it's happening to other banks as well.

by Anonymousreply 22November 19, 2021 1:17 AM

[quote] really can't rent a place without an income.

Well, you can, you just have to have a statement from the bank saying that you have a certain amount in saving etc.

If you find a job in the place you want to live (near family) they'll usually accept an offer letter, too. You may have to pay one extra month in rent up front. But it IS doable.

by Anonymousreply 23November 19, 2021 1:18 AM

R22 Fifth Third is a dreadful bank. Worked for them and for PNC and PNC was much better, in every way possible.

My branch manager at 5/3 wanted to have prayer sessions every morning.

by Anonymousreply 24November 19, 2021 1:20 AM

Yeah, r22 - i imagine there will be ripples throughout the industry with rates going up. The upside is that they said they were passing my resume on to the Underwriting department with a big recommendation and that there is possibly an opening there that I may be able to throw my hat in the ring for.

Thanks r23, that's a good thought.

I had a bunch of PTO built up (over 100 hours), and they paid that out to me which they didn't have to do, plus my bonuses for Oct and Nov. So I'll have a good check going out.

by Anonymousreply 25November 19, 2021 1:21 AM

Apply for a job in a call center or an insurance company. A lot of insurance companies have mortgage departments. USAA is a good company to work for.

Lots of insurance companies hire adjuster trainees. They give you the course (it's like 1 or 2 weeks) and you take the adjuster's test. You can easily earn $45,000 a year as an insurance adjuster

by Anonymousreply 26November 19, 2021 1:32 AM

That's a good thought r26. I was making over 80k a year, but I may just have to take what I can find after awhile.

by Anonymousreply 27November 19, 2021 1:37 AM

R26 has some decent ideas. I went from banking to insurance. Insurance has lots of office jobs too, including processing applications, customer service, and legal/compliance jobs.

The transferable skill you'd have is the accuracy and attention to detail you have to dedicate to that kind of work.

by Anonymousreply 28November 19, 2021 1:39 AM

I’m almost envious. I’m 51 and so over my job, but the money’s good and retirement account is growing. I have enough savings to get by if it ended, but barely. Enjoy your newfound freedom!

by Anonymousreply 29November 19, 2021 1:46 AM

r24 when I used to call Fifth Third to get payoffs, I thought their stupid jingle "Where we're a Fifth Third better" was the dumbest thing.

But nobody holds a candle to Freedom Mtg who doesn't seem to know their asses from their elbows with regard to anything you ask of them.

by Anonymousreply 30November 19, 2021 1:52 AM

[quote] Good luck to you!

op doesn't need luck. he's rich!

by Anonymousreply 31November 19, 2021 2:04 AM

R31 clearly not rich. No retirement savings, no 401k. Just the money in savings account.

by Anonymousreply 32November 19, 2021 2:06 AM

R23, you can’t do that in New York anymore. The most landlords can consider is two months’ rent. You can’t pay cash upfront, either.

Cause it’s NOT FAIR to poor people.

by Anonymousreply 33November 19, 2021 2:11 AM

r33 I am actually moving to NY, but not NYC...the more rural part of NY, western NY. so there is a chance because many landlords are not as savvy and are more old school, much like most people are in that area.

However, the plan is to get another job before moving.

by Anonymousreply 34November 19, 2021 2:15 AM

Dont leave us hanging op !!!!!!! What is going to happen after the first of year. Please spill cuz i am thinking of leaving my husband !

by Anonymousreply 35November 19, 2021 2:20 AM

Good luck, OP! I used to live in Western NY for grad school, very salt of the earth folks. I hope you can find something that will be remote so you can take it with you when you move. Please come back with updates, sending good wishes that you can move laterally to the other department. It's good that they think well of you.

by Anonymousreply 36November 19, 2021 2:24 AM

I honestly sort of glazed over and stopped paying attention when the Branch Manager started in with the explanation but it involved something about the Federal Reserve Bank announcing something that would greatly affect the type of loans we handle at our branch (VA non cash-out loans).

Basically, it amounted to "we've gone from funding 300+ loans a month to less than 80 or fewer loans so we've decided on the other processor instead of you." I started to try and fact-check what he said but then I decided to just get f'ing sloshed tonight and do the responsible stuff tomorrow.

Thanks, R36. The move back to WNY has been in the works for about half a year and I can't wait to move back. I'm SO OVER the CA wildfires/droughts/power outages (even though I grew up here), and I just want a more simple lifestyle closer to family. I'll live through this.

Honestly, if it wasn't for my elderly dog, I'd probably renew my passport, put my stuff in storage and travel for a little but I really couldn't do that to him at this point. He's only ever known me as his family and when I've traveled in the past, he howls incessantly for me. I watched him on a home cam the last time I went on a vacation (about a year ago) and it was truly heartbreaking. He was even with another dog he knew in a home that was visited 2-3 times a day by a caretaker.

by Anonymousreply 37November 19, 2021 2:30 AM

[quote] Honestly, if it wasn't for my elderly dog,

Is it a rescue dog?

by Anonymousreply 38November 19, 2021 2:37 AM

r38. Nope, I feel ashamed to admit I (and my friend) bought him from a breeder when I went to visit her in OR 12 years ago. It was completely unplanned and I was in a very transitional place in my life. My friend felt like I definitely needed a furry friend and I agreed.

by Anonymousreply 39November 19, 2021 2:41 AM

No need to be ashamed of that OP. We just need to clarify rescue status of animals here on DL.

by Anonymousreply 40November 19, 2021 2:43 AM

Good luck, OP. Where do you live now? Is western NY far from your current location?

by Anonymousreply 41November 19, 2021 3:05 AM

I live in Sonoma County, CA r41. For all the reasons cited above, I am done with being here because CA doesn't feel like home anymore (not safe), expensive as hell, and I have family out in WNY. I have a planned move back to WNY with a relative and that is still the plan. I hope to secure another remote job before moving.

If I can't get a job before moving (most likely in May, June or July) I'm still moving there. The cost of living (in THAT area of NY) is much less than here and I could get a lesser paying job yet still survive financially. I've winged it before moving cross country (a few times), and I'm willing to do it again.

by Anonymousreply 42November 19, 2021 3:14 AM

[quote]That's a good thought [R26]. I was making over 80k a year, but I may just have to take what I can find after awhile.

They have all kinds of jobs.

USAA is also a bank. When people join the military they have to sign up for direct deposit of their paychecks through USAA or Navy Federal Credit Union. USAA is gay friendly and most of them still work from home. State Farm and Nationwide also issue mortgages. They're great companies to work for and almost all of their people work from home

by Anonymousreply 43November 19, 2021 3:22 AM

Well, I wish you the best.

by Anonymousreply 44November 19, 2021 3:26 AM

Thanks so much, everyone! This should have been a shit day, but your support really helped out, plus all the suggestions.

A bright spot tonight: turning off my alarm and not waking up to it tomorrow or Monday.

Lots to think about, it's been awhile since I've been unemployed. Thank you again.

by Anonymousreply 45November 19, 2021 3:33 AM

Wow over $80k as a processor is a great salary.

I thought only conventional loans were drying up

by Anonymousreply 46November 19, 2021 3:42 AM

Why wouldn't you just take this opportunity to go ahead and move to western NY now instead of later? It isn't like your job is keeping you in CA.

by Anonymousreply 47November 19, 2021 3:50 AM

We have only been doing VA streamline (no cash out) loans and apparently the hit in interest rate plus whatever the change is from the Federal Reserve Bank dried that shit right up. I've been working for this company for 2 years and it's been non-stop OT but it fell off the cliff about a month ago. I was making 27 an hour, plus OT, plus about 1800 a month in bonus.

by Anonymousreply 48November 19, 2021 3:51 AM

[quote] Did they get rid of you because you’re a great, big fat person.

Geez, R1, did you even read the OP's post? Obviously he got fired for being a raging alcoholic.

by Anonymousreply 49November 19, 2021 3:52 AM

r47 there are a few reasons why i wouldn't just move now. my car is fucked up and i don't want to buy a new one here in CA and drive it across alone. I know what a cross country trip by car involves, and it's not a 1-person deal, plus I don't want to keep a 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid in which the hybrid battery is fucked and cost more to replace with none of the great features of a modern car. Plus, flying across country with a pug is a pretty big deal. Also, the plan was to move out with other family members so we can move our stuff together instead of separately.

by Anonymousreply 50November 19, 2021 3:54 AM

r49 that's not the reason. did YOU even read the post? There are only 2 people in my position with this branch and we've lost more than half our volume. They chose one and it wasn't me. If i was that much of a raging alcoholic, i wouldn't get my monthly bonus for 2 years straight and massive OT. it's just a COC (change of circumstance) with regard to the market.

by Anonymousreply 51November 19, 2021 3:57 AM

That said, take a shot or drink on me everyone!

by Anonymousreply 52November 19, 2021 3:58 AM

[quote] clearly not rich. No retirement savings, no 401k. Just the money in savings account.

$40K in the bank is probably better than 60-70% of Americans right now.

by Anonymousreply 53November 19, 2021 4:02 AM

OP underwriters will be next to be chopped. Take some time , and if you want to stay in banking move over to something less volatile, like risk management, compliance etc. Good luck but certainly take some you time now, job maket is still hot and now not so limited to your current location, you’ll settle in somewhere soon.

by Anonymousreply 54November 19, 2021 4:02 AM

I’m sure there are mortgage companies hiring somewhere

by Anonymousreply 55November 19, 2021 4:05 AM

You can finally treat that STD, OP

by Anonymousreply 56November 19, 2021 4:06 AM

Yay, me! r53

Thanks r54! I like to think I'll be okay, and I'd like to be a little selective if I could as I do have experience in compliance and risk management from a previous job in commercial banking. I just get a little worried because I have heard there is a slump coming. I would like something where I'm not expected to work insane OT hours, which had been the norm for 2 years up until the lull starting about a month ago. I don't need the salary as high as it was, I just want something steady and remote.

by Anonymousreply 57November 19, 2021 4:06 AM

r56 the only STD i'd be suffering from at this point would be sex traumatically disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 58November 19, 2021 4:10 AM

Was the other employee they retained much younger or maybe also a minority or female?

At least you'll have time to go to a gym or for walks.

by Anonymousreply 59November 19, 2021 4:19 AM

Sign your posts OP, dumbass ! That's why you were fired ! You're a thoughtless little pig !

by Anonymousreply 60November 19, 2021 4:21 AM

Nope same age/sex. I think she has no life, but I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 61November 19, 2021 4:30 AM

Alec, nobody was murdered by inconsistent and inadequate firearm standards r60

by Anonymousreply 62November 19, 2021 4:33 AM

Op, what (if anything) do you think the mortgage processing slowdown means for the overall real estate market?

by Anonymousreply 63November 19, 2021 4:51 AM

A-ha! OP is a woman.

by Anonymousreply 64November 19, 2021 10:03 AM

I just saw that r64, OP, I take everything back

by Anonymousreply 65November 19, 2021 10:30 AM

USAA has a ton of openings right now.

by Anonymousreply 66November 19, 2021 12:04 PM

I foresee a much better life for you in your new locale, OP.

by Anonymousreply 67November 19, 2021 12:29 PM

"Op, what (if anything) do you think the mortgage processing slowdown means for the overall real estate market?"

The Fed and the entire federal government have been subsidizing the real estate industry for the last 40 fucking years to keep interest rates low so consumers will spend, spend and spend some more.

This has come at the expense of savers who have been getting less and less in interest (most banks pay a tiny fraction of 1% interest on regular savings accounts) and forced savers into the equities markets in order to get any kind of return on their investments (as well as the very real chance of losing money).

by Anonymousreply 68November 19, 2021 12:39 PM

Best of luck to you OP; you sound like you've got a good plan moving forward, but being laid off is still tough.

by Anonymousreply 69November 19, 2021 1:23 PM

R67 - “I foresee a much better life for you…..”

Has anyone checked on OP? Is he still alive? Many fall j to depression and financial ruin after a job loss. Or worse. ☠️

by Anonymousreply 70November 19, 2021 1:45 PM

The best of luck, OP.

by Anonymousreply 71November 19, 2021 3:13 PM

Hope uarent too hungover today op, make yourself some sugary iced tea and go back to bed ! Everything will work out.

by Anonymousreply 72November 19, 2021 3:18 PM

What do you mean, R65?

by Anonymousreply 73November 19, 2021 6:31 PM

[quote]$40K in the bank is probably better than 60-70% of Americans right now.

Exactly right. I just bought a plane ticket for a friend (granted it was $1400) so that she can fly to France and see her ill father. She and her husband have no savings. They also have two teens. This is typical in America, land of low wages/no benefits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74November 19, 2021 8:23 PM

Thanks, all. I'm re-drunking, currently

Glad to see you are all still caring.

really hoping HR doesn't send me an email about sending their laptop back.

by Anonymousreply 75November 19, 2021 9:00 PM

Sorry, Op. I made it through the Covid shit and found out October first my boss sold the company and I got laid off. Fucking sucks trying to get UI right now. Good luck - glad you have savings.

by Anonymousreply 76November 19, 2021 9:09 PM

thanks, r76. i just got my final check and it was short my PTO and 2 bonuses. i sent a msg to my supervisor and she agreed it didn't seem right.

i'm sorry you got laid off. i'm a little ok with it but it puts me in a odd position.

by Anonymousreply 77November 19, 2021 9:53 PM

OP Why no 401k? Did your employer not offer one?

by Anonymousreply 78November 20, 2021 1:38 AM

OP/R77 I hope that the info about paying out your bonuses and PTO was expressly written in your separation letter.

by Anonymousreply 79November 20, 2021 2:00 AM

How are you, OP? Did they ever give you the money you were owed?

by Anonymousreply 80November 25, 2021 10:22 PM

OP are you still around? So many middle-age men can’t handle sudden unemployment and end up hurting themselves. Especially if they are alone during the holidays, like most gay men. Let us know if you are still with us.

by Anonymousreply 81November 26, 2021 3:26 AM

I believe OP is a lesbian, R51.

OP, are you out there?

by Anonymousreply 82November 27, 2021 1:07 AM

I believe OP is a lesbian, R51.

OP, are you out there?

by Anonymousreply 83November 27, 2021 1:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!