Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

CVS Is Downsizing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194November 25, 2021 12:49 AM

That's what they get for gouging customers and buying smaller mom and pop drugstores. Be gone! CVS. I prefer Rite-Aid.

by Anonymousreply 1November 18, 2021 7:20 PM

Good riddance. They are overpriced and the stores are dingy and messy. A blight on any urban landscape.

Everything is cheaper on Amazon, with the added benefit of having it delivered right to your door.

by Anonymousreply 2November 18, 2021 7:25 PM

Nice deflect CVS. that phrase:"In response to changing of consumer buying patterns" Wokespeak. Translation Losing too much dough from shoplifting.

by Anonymousreply 3November 18, 2021 7:34 PM

This is how it will work: after killing small pharmacies, the chains will gradually pull out, leaving pharmacy deserts.

by Anonymousreply 4November 18, 2021 7:40 PM

It probably depends on your area, but when I lived in Arizona there were literally 4 CVS stores within a 5 minute drive. I bet there is a lot of overlap.

by Anonymousreply 5November 18, 2021 7:42 PM

R2, we’re talking about drug pharmacies. Stop shilling for Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 6November 18, 2021 7:43 PM

R4 they will just open them up in grocery stores as most places have been smart enough to do for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 7November 18, 2021 7:43 PM

Don't blame the stores who can't keep bleeding $$$ in certain locations. Why do you think a business is in business? To lose $$$?

by Anonymousreply 8November 18, 2021 7:44 PM

[quote] I prefer Rite-Aid.

Which is a million times worse and started this shit. Close all Rite-Aids!

by Anonymousreply 9November 18, 2021 7:44 PM

So, doing the math, there will still be 2.4 million CVS stores to shop at? I love how they stopped selling tobacco a few years ago but have no problem loading end caps and checkout aisles with fried and sugary snacks. Oh, get your liquor too so you can swallow down your heart pills.

by Anonymousreply 10November 18, 2021 7:45 PM

you're so stupid. probably most of the things you buy on Amazon is shoplifted from CVS and other stores....

by Anonymousreply 11November 18, 2021 7:49 PM

I'm remember when CVS was Consumer Value Stores.

by Anonymousreply 12November 18, 2021 7:51 PM

They are such a rip off and bad for the environment with their 10 foot receipts.

by Anonymousreply 13November 18, 2021 7:56 PM

Still odd to me that Target partnered with CVS for some of its pharmacies. Seems like a step down, unless Target itself was clueless how to run the pharmacies.

I've never liked the grey, carpeted tiles in CVS. They look dingy and dirty, which I'm sure they are. Several here in my current city have drastically reduced their inventory and just increased the breadth of the aisles. They clearly got a deal on their rent to be able to do so, but who wants a 6 ft wide aisle to glance at different hair products, vitamins, etc?

by Anonymousreply 14November 18, 2021 8:10 PM

Ebay, as well, is now full of shoplifted stuff. We have evolved into having our own US black market.

Now, the new emerging market will be an expansion of the preordering of items to be shoplifted & looted. Has always a small sustainable market. Now, I see big advances & growth in this area, especially with no bail & no jail.

by Anonymousreply 15November 18, 2021 8:13 PM

All in San Francisco.

by Anonymousreply 16November 18, 2021 8:16 PM

[quote] Still odd to me that Target partnered with CVS for some of its pharmacies. Seems like a step down, unless Target itself was clueless how to run the pharmacies.

I didn't understand this move either, I stopped using Walgreens & CVS when Target opened pharmacies in their stores and used them exclusively for the duration of the short period they were around. When my local Target made the switch to CVS I stuck with them because my pharmacist is great and it's still Target so you can use your CVS pharmacy rewards in Target stores.

by Anonymousreply 17November 18, 2021 8:16 PM

Cvs seems to put its stores directly across from walgreens ???? Why ? Wal greens are nicer so i go to walgreens.

by Anonymousreply 18November 18, 2021 8:27 PM

There are too many of these stores anyway. There’s literally a CVS, Walgreens, and Rite-Aid within a mile of everywhere in my city. And every Target has a CVS pharmacy inside too.

by Anonymousreply 19November 18, 2021 8:31 PM

CVS is still present in my area, along with Walgreens. In general, I go to Walgreens. Prices seem around the same or better than CVS - and better employees.

I did go to CVS the other day, though. Bad management. Two cashiers, no self-checkout, long lines, and the manager was trying to pull one of the cashiers from her checkout area. Cashier said no, the line is long.

I will never understand stores that don't prioritize helping people to CASH OUT and pay for merchandise.

by Anonymousreply 20November 18, 2021 8:32 PM

What r2 said. I never go to CVS because they're overpriced.

by Anonymousreply 21November 18, 2021 8:34 PM

Certain insurance plans use CVS/Caremark for pharmacy benefits. Folks with such insurance have to use CVS.

by Anonymousreply 22November 18, 2021 9:23 PM

I remember Revco

by Anonymousreply 23November 18, 2021 9:28 PM

How about Phar-Mor?

by Anonymousreply 24November 18, 2021 9:34 PM

CVS has been great for getting vaccinations. I got my booster and my flu shot at two different CVS locations (one standalone, one inside Target.) Process is simple and quick, and they give you a coupon to spend in the store.

by Anonymousreply 25November 18, 2021 9:35 PM

What is it about Walgreens, CVS and Rite-Aid that just feels so cheap

by Anonymousreply 26November 18, 2021 9:36 PM

There are 4 within a 5 minute drive from my home.

If there is a new strip mall being built, CVS will probably be a tenant.

by Anonymousreply 27November 18, 2021 9:45 PM

[quote]Don't blame the stores who can't keep bleeding $$$ in certain locations. Why do you think a business is in business? To lose $$$?

You sound moronic. Do you realize how many businesses have been put out of business by that vile Amazon? I've never bought one item from Amazon and I never will. Some people actually enjoy going into stores to pick out the items they need, imagine that!

If things keep up the way they've been going the past few years, Amazon will own every sort of business within the next 5-10 years. Once busy shopping drags throughout the US, and the world, will look like ghost towns.

by Anonymousreply 28November 18, 2021 9:52 PM

Amazon has a new discount pharmacy program, too.

by Anonymousreply 29November 18, 2021 9:53 PM

This is a sad state of commerce in the US. These leeching corporations are ruining the country and the more that close, the better. Let’s get back to mom and pop stores. Ones that are clean and show a modicum of respect for their customers and employees.

by Anonymousreply 30November 18, 2021 9:55 PM

Don't blame Amazon, they only sell because people want to buy it. It's called the free market. People want cheap and they want convenience and they want it fast. Blame the people, not the business. People are cheap lazy bastards.

by Anonymousreply 31November 18, 2021 10:00 PM

R28, There will always have to be brick & mortar stores. Like you can get milk & band-aids Right now from Amazon. Plus people love to get out & shop.

by Anonymousreply 32November 18, 2021 10:01 PM

R13 use the CVS app and opt for email or the no paper receipts option. I did last year. No more 6’ paper receipts.

by Anonymousreply 33November 18, 2021 10:03 PM

I’m not anti Amazon. BUT I will not give them my pharmacy business until I’m forced to do so by my insurance.

by Anonymousreply 34November 18, 2021 10:04 PM

Their logo is even a nameless and faceless. It should be called what it is: cash cow for shareholders and executives.

by Anonymousreply 35November 18, 2021 10:09 PM

[quote]This is a sad state of commerce in the US. These leeching corporations are ruining the country and the more that close, the better. Let’s get back to mom and pop stores. Ones that are clean and show a modicum of respect for their customers and employees.

I've never had a problem with the chain drugstores. Their sale prices are always good, they accept coupons (both paper and through their websites, where you add the coupons electronically to your rewards card) and their cash back rewards are great, I currently have around $50 on my Walgreens card, it's not bad getting cash back on items I need.

In my neighborhood, Rite-Aid was formerly Genovese Drugs, guess they sold their business to RA. I did hear that one conglomerate now wants to buy both Duane Reade and Walgreens, these stores will end becoming a monopoly.

The problem with most mom & pop stores, their prices are much higher than the chain stores. Their prices are higher because they simply cannot compete with chain stores with bigger selections and more inventory.

by Anonymousreply 36November 18, 2021 10:10 PM

CVS gives Cash Rewards, the other chains give you points which are useless.

by Anonymousreply 37November 18, 2021 10:37 PM

[quote] their cash back rewards are great, I currently have around $50 on my Walgreens card

Be sure to use it before it expires within 6 months. I lost $10 because it expired.

by Anonymousreply 38November 18, 2021 10:47 PM

Aww, you mean people won't find it as easy to go into their stores and pay 3 times what they could get the same things for somewhere else? What a loss.

by Anonymousreply 39November 18, 2021 10:47 PM

I enjoy my weekly trips to my local CVS. They just completed a remodel.

by Anonymousreply 40November 18, 2021 10:50 PM

Some people love gimmicks and coupons and have tons of free time to fuss with it all. But they have some loyal customers I’ll give them that.

by Anonymousreply 41November 18, 2021 10:51 PM

some items are cheaper there. others more expensive. a brand of eyedrops I use sells for 20 bucks at CVS. It's 15 at Target. another item I use is sold there for like 28 bucks but at walgreens, the same thing is 35 bucks.

you gotta shop around.

by Anonymousreply 42November 19, 2021 12:13 AM

[quote]Be sure to use it before it expires within 6 months. I lost $10 because it expired.

Not true, if your rewards money expires, just call their 1-800 number. Walgreen's usually sends text or email alerts to tell you your rewards are expiring.

I called the Walgreens 1-800 number, then had the deleted money put back on my card. They can tell if you are a loyal customer and they will put the money back on the card.

by Anonymousreply 43November 19, 2021 3:22 AM

"there were literally 4 CVS stores..."

there were 4 CVS stores...

R5 Learn English

by Anonymousreply 44November 19, 2021 3:24 AM

WTF kind of OTC eyedrops cost $20-$35, that's more than prescription eyedrops! Visine and Clear Eyes are sure not that expensive.

The higher priced eyedrops, usually for people with dry or chronic red eyes, such as Lumify or Blink, usually have $4-$5 coupons at the drugstores websites. If you wait for the store's weekly sale on these items, you sure wouldn't be paying $20-$35 for fucking eyedrops.

Some of you seem so clueless, extremely lazy or simply don't care about saving money.

by Anonymousreply 45November 19, 2021 3:26 AM

CVS is ripped off daily in my NYC neighborhood. They can’t sustain it.

Because of the woke bullshit laws we have, there is nothing anyone can do except watch it happen.

by Anonymousreply 46November 19, 2021 3:31 AM

[quote]Some people love gimmicks and coupons and have tons of free time to fuss with it all. But they have some loyal customers I’ll give them that.

Tons of free time?! Please, it doesn't take much time to add the digital coupons to your cell or computer, it just takes a few minutes.

Your post is hilarious, especially considering the fact that people have their faces in their damn phones all day. You think people can't spend some of their precious time, which they waste playing with their phones, to add coupons to those phones?!

by Anonymousreply 47November 19, 2021 3:40 AM

they are for dry eyes. preservative free. visine isn't good at all. not recommended by eye doctors.

by Anonymousreply 48November 19, 2021 4:14 AM

R46

Daily? Try hourly!

Every fucking CVS, Duane Reade, Rite Aid and Walgreens in NYC gets hit on average every few hours they are open. Everything from a few items to people walking out with arms/bags full of stuff.

There's a CVS near us on UES near 86th street that has a NYPD squad car parked out front nearly every hour they are open as a deterrent. Not that it does much good because shoplifters still clear place out. They finally started closing late/overnight instead of being open 24/7 to put some dent in their losses.

by Anonymousreply 49November 19, 2021 4:21 AM

CVS, Rite Aid, Duane Reade, Walgreens and rest all benefitted at the time from going large. They morphed from pharmacy/health and beauty aid places to stores not unlike Target, carrying everything from housewares, hardware, small appliances, stationary/greeting cards, and groceries.. It worked for a while, then came Internet and online shopping. More to the point, Amazon!

Many of these big CVS or whatever stores just don't make sense any longer from a retail sales per square foot basis. Amazon and other online often sell much of same goods at lower prices plus you often get free delivery and returns. Piled on recently has been huge uptick in shoplifting that largely is not prosecuted making these stores sitting ducks.

People in my building would rather order toilet paper, paper towels, soap, detergent, etc... from Amazon than walk across street to CVS, or a block to Duane Reade...

by Anonymousreply 50November 19, 2021 4:26 AM

This is racist. Now are we supposed to shoplift at the post office ?

by Anonymousreply 51November 19, 2021 4:51 AM

Their shit is literally 3-4 dollars more expensive than at a Walmart down the street.

by Anonymousreply 52November 19, 2021 5:02 AM

Amazon and online shopping has really changed the availability of all merchandise. When I am determined to buy something in a store instead of Amazon, often I can’t find it. It seems like other stores carry less merchandise and many have items as “online exclusives” so it has to be ordered online. Do I want to run around and check 3-4 stores or just order the exact product that I want online? I guess we did this to ourselves but I didn’t see it coming.

by Anonymousreply 53November 19, 2021 5:19 AM

R50 Yea, shoplifting means Walgreens and CVS have a lot of items like deodorant, detergent, lotion locked behind those plexiglass shields. Finding a staff person to unlock the items can take a long time, especially since so many stores are short staffed.

by Anonymousreply 54November 19, 2021 5:25 AM

Good, CVS has been trash for awhile. I shifted my prescriptions to Walgreens and haven't looked back.

by Anonymousreply 55November 19, 2021 5:28 AM

Why is it only drug stores getting shoplifted? But not Safeway, Whole Foods, Pubic, Traitor Joe’s?

by Anonymousreply 56November 19, 2021 5:41 AM

I walk into Walgreens and feel like I need a shower afterwards. There is something about the layout. It seems dirty. CVS still seems to maintain a level of quality, the one near me has turned the back of the store into an urgent care center.

by Anonymousreply 57November 19, 2021 5:49 AM

CVS is the most expensive drug store in my city so I’m not surprised they’re closing so many stores. Nobody can afford those prices in this economy.

by Anonymousreply 58November 19, 2021 6:09 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 19, 2021 6:39 AM

More on that incident.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60November 19, 2021 6:42 AM

[quote]I'm remember when CVS was Consumer Value Stores.

I remember when they bought all the Sa-Von drugstores (which were great) in my area.

by Anonymousreply 61November 19, 2021 7:06 AM

My CVS share increased by over $2.00 a share yesterday. I'm happy.

by Anonymousreply 62November 19, 2021 8:39 AM

Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 63November 19, 2021 8:57 AM

My local CVS used to be "Eckerds". It moved a few yards away and built a much larger stand-alone store which I thought was wasteful and stupid (it had been in a strip mall).

Then, they built another huge stand-alone CVS right across the town's mainstreet from a Walgreen's, a phenomenon someone upthread mentioned. WTF?

Neither store seems to be very busy whenever I go by there - and yes, I do shop there but nowhere near as much as I used to. The pandemic hastened my absence, but I did just get my covid booster there so maybe that'll be a shot in the arm for CVS/Walgreens/etc., financially and literally speaking. Well, sort of literally.

by Anonymousreply 64November 19, 2021 9:09 AM

*waves at r49*

Hi, neighbor. That’s my CVS.

by Anonymousreply 65November 19, 2021 9:46 AM

[quote]Their shit is literally 3-4 dollars more expensive than at a Walmart down the street.

A lot of people would rather go into a smaller store like a CVS where you can be in and out in a few minutes, than deal with a behemoth like Walmart that’s full of trashy customers.

by Anonymousreply 66November 19, 2021 12:27 PM

I have a CVS and Walgreens within walking distance of each other. In fact, if it wasn't for a curve in the road, I would be able to see both from the corner!

I used to go to CVS but they are much more expensive than Walgreens. I doubt my CVS will close. They just redid the layout to provide more room for the MinuteClinic. What I can't understand is the people who load shopping carts with items at CVS. They are way overpriced on most items. I have a Walmart within walking distance, too. I have no idea why people are doing so much shopping at CVS when both Walmart and Walgreens are much cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 67November 19, 2021 12:37 PM

[quote]Their shit is literally 3-4 dollars more expensive than at a Walmart down the street.

The extra 3-4 dollars is so that you don't have to deal with Walmart.

by Anonymousreply 68November 19, 2021 12:38 PM

[quote] Their shit is literally 3-4 dollars more expensive than at a Walmart down the street.

Honey, Walmart is cheaper than every store in the country. It’s full of cheap shit bought by people living in poverty.

by Anonymousreply 69November 19, 2021 12:46 PM

What are end caps?

by Anonymousreply 70November 19, 2021 12:46 PM

CVS is the one pharmacy I can count on to get medication that they may not have in stock in store. Rite Aid filled two prescriptions with the same medication for me one time and Walgreens never has anything. I’ll stick with CVS.

by Anonymousreply 71November 19, 2021 12:47 PM

End caps are the displays at the end of each row/aisle of shelving.

by Anonymousreply 72November 19, 2021 12:47 PM

You don't have go go inside Walmart to buy their merchandise. They have both curbside pickup and delivery. And r69 is an idiot. Walmart has much of the same general merchandise as every other major retailer.

by Anonymousreply 73November 19, 2021 12:49 PM

Someone is being awfully defensive about supporting Walmart.

by Anonymousreply 74November 19, 2021 12:54 PM

Not surprising. CVS went absolutely ape shit here in Dallas, with a store on every damned block. The only good thing I can say is that they made it incredibly easy to get the Covid booster and a flu shot a month or so ago. Very convenient and professional.

by Anonymousreply 75November 19, 2021 12:57 PM

R64 I remember Eckerd's! Damn that's been a long time.

by Anonymousreply 76November 19, 2021 1:00 PM

CVS stores are pointless.

There is a pharmacy with the usual health related over-the-counter items and medical equipment. And then there are cosmetics and personal care items that can be purchased any number of other more convenient settings.

Finally, there is aisle after aisle of over-priced extraneous shit that few want and no one needs. All of it can be bought easier and cheaper at Target or Walmart.

Why is CVS closing only 900 stores???

by Anonymousreply 77November 19, 2021 1:06 PM

I got my booster there

that said, the one on my block since covid (even before) is the very least stocked store in the entire city, nearly nothing to buy, and nearly two years into a pandemic

I wouldn't be surprised if they get closed

by Anonymousreply 78November 19, 2021 1:12 PM

[quote]You don't have go go inside Walmart to buy their merchandise.

sometimes, even, you don't even have to buy their stuff

by Anonymousreply 79November 19, 2021 1:12 PM

They have better coupons than Walgreens in my experience?

by Anonymousreply 80November 19, 2021 1:15 PM

Instead of 9,900 stores CVS will now have 9,000 stores BIG DEAL.

If they were to close THREE THOUSAND stores - that would be significant.

by Anonymousreply 81November 19, 2021 1:21 PM

yes, I posted in another thread where I saw a man walked out of walgreens with black garbage bag full of stolen goods and his friend was outside the store with a shopping cart filled with black garbage bags, probably all stolen. the store does nothing.

yes shoplifting definitely happens in supermarkets too. esp now everyone brings their own shopping bag to put their items, thieves definitely are taking advantage.

by Anonymousreply 82November 19, 2021 1:21 PM

R14- The CVS stores near me NEVER have tiled floors , they ALWAYS have carpeting- which I prefer.

by Anonymousreply 83November 19, 2021 1:23 PM

proud to say I have never set foot in a walmart nor spent a single cent there.

by Anonymousreply 84November 19, 2021 2:12 PM

[quote]yes, I posted in another thread where I saw a man walked out of walgreens with black garbage bag full of stolen goods and his friend was outside the store with a shopping cart filled with black garbage bags, probably all stolen. the store does nothing.

This is only happening in the woke liberal cities. The rest of the country doesn’t put up with that shit.

by Anonymousreply 85November 19, 2021 2:12 PM

They better not get rid of the one in Columbus Circle!

by Anonymousreply 86November 19, 2021 3:03 PM

CVS is still the number 1 biggest pharmacy chain in the US

by Anonymousreply 87November 19, 2021 3:14 PM

r84 Well smell you, Princess Grace!

by Anonymousreply 88November 19, 2021 3:16 PM

r80 CVS was the most expensive one I saw on the pharmacy price checker. Better coupons may be better because their prices start out higher (if you are referring to general coupons of items they sell).

The cheapest, of course, was always Walmart (not Walgreens, it was always more expensive than Walmart).

by Anonymousreply 89November 19, 2021 5:57 PM

Duane Reade, baby. All the way!

by Anonymousreply 90November 19, 2021 9:06 PM

Scandals aside, Phar-Mor was awesome back in the day. Movie and video game rentals were only 99 cents when other places were charging $3.99 per rental. CD's were only like $10, when stores like Camelot Music were selling them for $18. They started out as a pharmacy, but then started selling everything from groceries to office supplies. Everything was way cheaper there than other stores.

by Anonymousreply 91November 19, 2021 9:31 PM

They took over Aetna so they're going to get you coming and going.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92November 19, 2021 11:35 PM

My CVS is in my Target store as well. Very convenient.

by Anonymousreply 93November 19, 2021 11:48 PM

So it's essentially a parasite living off Target. Gross.

by Anonymousreply 94November 19, 2021 11:51 PM

I like Walgreen’s best, but Anthem dropped them for Rx. Now I go to Safeway, which is okay…I can get groceries too.

Years ago, I loved Thrifty’s & Long’s Drugs. But, like almost everything they’re gone now.

by Anonymousreply 95November 19, 2021 11:53 PM

It's true. Phar-Mor was an excellent place to shop. Clean, reasonably priced, and broadly stocked. The executives who looted the company should have been horse whipped.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96November 19, 2021 11:57 PM

I don't understand what it is, but there's something very off-putting about every CVS store. They seem like they're full of goods, but they never have the thing you want, and the atmosphere is very strange. Depressing and scruffy. I actually like Walgreens. It's not a treat to shop there or anything, but it's reasonably pleasant and the customer service is quite decent.

by Anonymousreply 97November 20, 2021 12:14 AM

Walgreens > CVS > Rite-Aid

by Anonymousreply 98November 20, 2021 12:33 AM

R97 agreed. They aren't well run, from what I have seen, and they act more like a company that has been taken over by an investment group, trying to squeeze every dime out of it before discarding the carcass.

That's what they're doing too, they're dumping a bunch of stores rather than pay to remodel them. Let's see if any of the other stores get remodels.

by Anonymousreply 99November 20, 2021 12:47 AM

What are your chances in any of these grim places of unearthing an Evening in Paris by Bourjois gift set? Zero, I'd guess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100November 20, 2021 12:58 AM

[quote]Duane Reade, baby. All the way!

Duane Reade is just Walgreen's in disguise.

by Anonymousreply 101November 20, 2021 1:14 AM

List of closing stores? The one near me is filthy. The laundry soap aisle is soaked with spilt detergent. And stinks.

by Anonymousreply 102November 20, 2021 1:17 AM

I’m taking a guess that all of the closing stores are located in “diverse” areas.

by Anonymousreply 103November 20, 2021 1:19 AM

The constant larceny that goes unpunished could be to blame

by Anonymousreply 104November 20, 2021 1:28 AM

At any moment, on average, in 900 CVS stores there will be at least 10,000 people standing in line waiting to be rung up. Where are these people to go?

And, while we're at it, think of how many register tapes will not be produced. This could result in too few trees being cut down, and an epidemic of over-forestation.

by Anonymousreply 105November 20, 2021 1:34 AM

If my life were managing or owning a store that is now open season for daily shoplifting, I would get out of the business. It would be too demoralizing.

by Anonymousreply 106November 20, 2021 1:35 AM

It's funny. For all the dog whistling in this thread, while the CVS around the corner from my apartment has tons of empty shelves, somehow the Walgreens down the block doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 107November 20, 2021 1:42 AM

Back in the 1980's I was a manager at CVS. They weren't so big and so bad back then. Plus the Valentines and Easter candies got marked way down. To the point where I'd be buying a case of peanut M&M's for very short money.

by Anonymousreply 108November 20, 2021 1:45 AM

Sadly, they'll probably close my CVS, it's the most ratchet one in town.

by Anonymousreply 109November 20, 2021 1:54 AM

I went to my local (recently remodeled) Best Buy and the store is now like half to 2/3 it's original size. The remainder of the space has been turned into a warehouse to store goods for customer pickup and ship-to-store. People just aren't shopping in b&m stores like they used to.

by Anonymousreply 110November 20, 2021 2:08 AM

R102 they haven't yet released it.

by Anonymousreply 111November 20, 2021 2:14 AM

CVS has its own weird organization pattern, r97. In any other store, Kleenex and Puffs would be on the aisle with paper goods, e.g., paper towels. But at CVS they're over by cold medicines. When I lived one block from a CVS, I'd check the Sunday ad and make some good buys. But it's expensive if you aren't cherry picking. I prefer Walgreens.

by Anonymousreply 112November 20, 2021 2:27 AM

R110

While retail in general is being hammered by online, some sectors are feeling it more than others.

Electronic and appliance (both small and white goods/major) have been hit hard by rise of online.

First salvos began when computers became more common starting in 1990's early 2000's. People came in, asked forty thousand questions to do their "research", then went online to buy. Things went from bad to worse as tablets and phones have largely replaced PCs for many people, and or at least offer a mobile and powerful option.

Without shame people go into electronics or appliance stores with their phones or whatever, do instant research, and yet again pester some poor salesperson with forty thousand questions, but still once again on average buy online. When online began offering free delivery and possibly returns that was end of game.

Small and or independent appliance or electronics stores long faced competition from large big box stores like Best Buy, Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, PC Richards, etc... Now the latter are facing pressures from online with everyone else.

Many big stores like Best Buy that manage to continue have tried to fight fire with fire; physical stores to a point exist to support their online sales.

There is a huge Best Buy at 86th and Lexington here in NYC (used to be the long lost but still lamented HMV music store), that mostly is a warehouse or whatever for online. For two levels of huge space there is comparatively little merchandise per square foot than say when place first opened.

by Anonymousreply 113November 20, 2021 3:46 AM

[quote] That's what they get for gouging customers and buying smaller mom and pop drugstores. Be gone! CVS. I prefer Rite-Aid.

I detest Rite-Aid. The one in my area is a haven for crackheads and drunks.

by Anonymousreply 114November 20, 2021 3:48 AM

[quote] CVS stores are pointless.

A lot of people depend on the CVS in their area, you dumb twat.

by Anonymousreply 115November 20, 2021 3:50 AM

Least from what one has seen in NYC Rite-Aid's prices are lower than Duane Reade, Walgreens and CVS. Also their sale items tend to be more generous as well.

When Walgreens bought Duane Reade prices increased rather dramatically. That was one reason went off DR in favor of Rite Aid.

This being said you have to know your prices... Brand of organic milk we like is about $1.10 more at Rite Aid as opposed to Morton Williams/Associated supermarkets.

One reason for sticking with Rite Aid was they did have a pretty good loyalty program. Things changed up a few years ago making it rather less rewarding.

Quite honestly for many things Amazon often is cheaper than any of these places. Things get better when you're on Prime....

by Anonymousreply 116November 20, 2021 4:00 AM

you need to go to physical stores to check stuff out. Like TVs. you need to see with your own eyes, a picture online ain't gonna cut it.

by Anonymousreply 117November 20, 2021 4:16 AM

There used to be another model for stores - like you saw on Green Acres or Petticoat Junction? All of the goods, whether food or whatever, were in the back, and you'd go to a counter, tell the shopkeeper what you wanted, and he'd have some workers/boys to box it up and bring it up front.

When phones came along, it was common for housewives (maybe everybody?) to call for what they wanted and have delivery boys bring it. As a parallel industry -- at least in towns/cities, people had milk and other dairy products delivered - maybe even every day?

OR people would walk to various individual shops - one for meats, one was a bakery, a fishmonger, a greengrocer...

I don't think the serve-yourself stores like CVS, Walmart, even Department Stores even existed in the 1800's, which isn't really THAT long ago. It's like we're going back to something similar to an earlier time -- contact someone and have them bring you what you need (i.e. Amazon)

by Anonymousreply 118November 20, 2021 4:21 AM

R117 = GAH!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 119November 20, 2021 4:22 AM

Yeah well don't be surprised as options for people like you to kick the tires, then go off and buy elsewhere are dwindling. No one makes any money from bottom feeders wasting sales persons time, handling things on display until they aren't just "shop worn" but nearly destroyed.

Oh and don't moan about how cannot find a salesperson and or they just don't want to be bothered.

Good salespersons long have learned how to spot time wasters, especially if they work on full or part commission.

by Anonymousreply 120November 20, 2021 4:22 AM

CVS only has 1 cashier. They force you to use the self service machines.

by Anonymousreply 121November 20, 2021 4:29 AM

A drug store is great for emergencies, like if you are bleeding and need a band-aid and don't have any at home. But look at most of the merchandise you'll find at CVS--you can easily order it online. It's not like if you want to purchase a pack of diapers or a spiral notebook you really need to go to the store to examine the product up close to decide on what to buy. And everything you can buy at CVS you can buy at a supermarket, where you're likely to find loads of items that you need but are not sold at CVS.

I think that, ideally, CVS would simply provide two services: pharmacy, and a place for people who like to stand in line.

by Anonymousreply 122November 20, 2021 4:30 AM

[quote]What are your chances in any of these grim places of unearthing an Evening in Paris by Bourjois gift set? Zero, I'd guess.

You'd have better luck on eBay or Etsy. The Vermont Country Store carries a newer version of EIP and other ancient scents, they basically sell copies of vintage scents.

by Anonymousreply 123November 20, 2021 4:32 AM

And, r121, the self-service machine has a propensity to come up with a reason that you have to wait for service from the human handling the line. Today I was stuck at a CVS where they had a single check-out clerk and single self-checkout. The woman doing self-checkout had a coupon for every item and the machine spit out every coupon. So, the entire time I was in the store, she had the clerk working on clearing her coupons. Lucky for me, once I got in line, the clerk stepped away from her and checked me out in a minute. When I left, she was still doing her coupon battle.

by Anonymousreply 124November 20, 2021 4:35 AM

People going on about lack of cashiers need to realize not everyone who works in retail wants to work registers, and or is even trained to do so. Also since those handling money receive higher scrutiny when hired or whatever not everyone employed in any retail location even qualifies to work registers.

United States is on average about a decade or more behind much of Europe, Asia and elsewhere in world where not just debit/bank or credit cards are used for majority of retail transactions, but also various tap and go, peer to peer, etc... also dominate. While Americans struggle on average with using their phones to "tap and go" it has been normal or fast gaining in many parts of world for years.

Quite honestly outside of processing certain transactions (returns, coupons, exchanges, purchase of items requiring ID like tobacco and or alcohol) , you really don't need a cashier. Self service is faster and easier, and exposes retail with less problems regarding handling of cash.

by Anonymousreply 125November 20, 2021 4:49 AM

Self serve checkouts are having no end of problems with coupons. Massive amounts of fraud are being committed and as such often now self serve "registers" have been programmed to be rather sensitive to what they will or will not accept. This and or places have stopped allowing use of coupons at all for self serve. If you have them you'll have to go to physical cashier for check out.

by Anonymousreply 126November 20, 2021 4:52 AM

[quote]United States is on average about a decade or more behind much of Europe, Asia and elsewhere in world where not just debit/bank or credit cards are used for majority of retail transactions, but also various tap and go, peer to peer, etc... also dominate. While Americans struggle on average with using their phones to "tap and go" it has been normal or fast gaining in many parts of world for years.

Blame the Boomers for holding on to old technologies. They refuse to adapt to a changing world.

by Anonymousreply 127November 20, 2021 5:13 AM

[quote] Blame the Boomers for holding on to old technologies. They refuse to adapt to a changing world.

What a stupid attitude. You are such an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 128November 20, 2021 5:17 AM

Well it's true r128

by Anonymousreply 129November 20, 2021 5:19 AM

Uh, no it's not, R129. It's just the attitude of a stupid, biased person.

by Anonymousreply 130November 20, 2021 5:46 AM

Keep telling yourself that r130. Everybody else is on the same page tech-wise, but the Boomers refuse to let go. Why do you think we still have newspapers and other print media still?

by Anonymousreply 131November 20, 2021 6:09 AM

I don't know if anyone else has used one of the Amazon Go convenience stores. There are a couple in Manhattan now. It's basically a 7/11, but you scan to enter with a QR code, just take whatever you want from the shelf, and walk out. The first time I did it, I felt like I was shoplifting.

by Anonymousreply 132November 20, 2021 7:08 AM

R118, there used to be a store in my area called Jewel Mart that sort of had a shopping model like this. When you entered the store, you were given a clip board with an order sheet. There was only one display model of each item and you wrote down what you wanted and gave it to the cashier/stock room to retrieve your order.

As far as self-checkouts go, I don't mind them personally. But I will say, Target has an absolutely stupid self checkout system. If you try and pay with cash at them, an employee has to come over to process it and retrieve your change from the drawer underneath it.

by Anonymousreply 133November 20, 2021 9:56 AM

It seems like the Jewel Mart business model would cut way down on shoplifting. And would it really require more employees? And was there a "Service Merchandise" store that worked like this?

by Anonymousreply 134November 20, 2021 10:00 AM

^ that name sounds familiar.

by Anonymousreply 135November 20, 2021 10:02 AM

Wow, R134. You're as old as I am.

Service Merchandise. Exactly as you described. One big show room with all the merchandise stored away from the sales floor.

by Anonymousreply 136November 20, 2021 12:30 PM

R121 My CVS doesn't even have self-checkout. And it's a fairly large suburban store that's probably only 10 years old.

by Anonymousreply 137November 20, 2021 12:57 PM

r136 There were LOTS of those "showroom" chains -- Best Products and Service Merchandise were probably the best known, but there were many local and regional versions.

by Anonymousreply 138November 20, 2021 12:58 PM

It is rather funny that all the big retail landlords once welcomed with open arms in places like NYC, now are downsizing and or closing locations.

Banks, Duane Reade, Walgreens and similar stores along with Starbucks once were on every corner her in NYC. Often taking up huge spaces on multiple levels. That slowly has been coming to an end as all of them retrench or otherwise pull back.

Duane Reade closed a huge number of stores on UES a few years ago, and spaces still sit empty. Ditto for banks, and some Starbucks locations. In fact there is a former SB right across from CVS in my area that has been sitting empty for a few years now.

As more people move to banking online places don't need as many branches, and certainly not huge ones.

by Anonymousreply 139November 20, 2021 1:10 PM

R44 There are LITERALLY 6 count’ EM , 6 LITERALLY 6 CVS stores LITERALLY within 10 minutes of my home. I’m not kidding you, I mean LITERALLY!

by Anonymousreply 140November 20, 2021 1:23 PM

[quote]And was there a "Service Merchandise" store that worked like this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141November 20, 2021 1:31 PM

R136- I was a VERY good customer of Service Merchandise from 1984 to 1999. They were a catalogue store WAY before Amazon. Every year I would receive their catalogue in the mail and I'd do the shopping at home. When I went to the store I knew what I wanted and walked over to one of the computers and ordered the item. It would come up on a conveyor belt I would pay for the item and then leave. I didn't have to waste time shopping in the store. In 1995 I bought a doctor's scale. It could only be purchased on the phone and delivered to me. I still have it 26 years later.

My post belongs on the underwhelm me thread

by Anonymousreply 142November 20, 2021 1:38 PM

Best Products stores were known for their daring architecture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143November 20, 2021 2:47 PM

At least in my area, before it was Service Merchandise, it was 'Wilson's"

by Anonymousreply 144November 20, 2021 3:20 PM

Always overpriced, always pushing one to buy more than they want to get a discount..good bye!

by Anonymousreply 145November 20, 2021 3:22 PM

R145- Not overpriced

a RIPOFF

by Anonymousreply 146November 20, 2021 4:00 PM

Boomers are the ones who invented this changing world. Microsoft, Amazon, Pay Pal, APPLE, Google.

All boomers

by Anonymousreply 147November 20, 2021 4:11 PM

Don’t forget Facebook

*shiver*

by Anonymousreply 148November 20, 2021 4:11 PM

CVS are basically convenience stores at this point. They replaced 7/11 and places like that. Yes, they are expensive because you're paying for the convenience. Women used to shop for cosmetics at drug stores, but the spread of Ulta and Sephora has probably cut into that business. None of this affects me, because I don't have any prescriptions and I buy everything I need from Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 149November 20, 2021 4:16 PM

Google and PayPal were the creation of Gen Xers.

Jony Ive, who's more responsible for Apple's success than Steve Jobs was (Jobs was PT Barnum, don't kid yourself) is a Gen Xer.

Depending on where you draw the Gen X line, so is Jeff Bezos.

by Anonymousreply 150November 20, 2021 4:18 PM

Where I live CVS wanted to open and after years of meetings with the town council and supervisors it was built. I went in once and it was empty. I was one of maybe three customers in this oversize excuse for a pharmacy. I expect it to close.

by Anonymousreply 151November 20, 2021 4:42 PM

We have too many pharmacies and not enough smaller grocery stores.

by Anonymousreply 152November 20, 2021 4:52 PM

[quote]Boomers are the ones who invented this changing world. Microsoft, Amazon, Pay Pal, APPLE, Google.

But most Boomers are completely retarded when it comes to tech and refuse to change.

by Anonymousreply 153November 20, 2021 5:09 PM

R149- I agree. They sell ice cream, candy , snick snacks, soda everything a 7-11 sells except those SKANKY hot dogs rolling under the heat lamp ALL DAY.

by Anonymousreply 154November 20, 2021 5:57 PM

[quote] But most Boomers are completely retarded when it comes to tech and refuse to change.

Actually it is you who sound "completely retarded." A completely retarded insufferable little prick.

by Anonymousreply 155November 20, 2021 7:51 PM

It's funny and sad and not surprising that the cunts on the DL bay for the blood of shoplifters and the WOKE politicians who LEGALIZE THEFT but don't give a shit that Walgreens had to pay out an enormous amount of money to settle a class-action wage theft lawsuit from their own employees.

by Anonymousreply 156November 20, 2021 9:30 PM

All you Amazon lovers, do you 😍 🥰 the fact that Jeff Bezos is a multi-zillionaire, yet doesn't pay taxes? Treats his fulfillment center workers like robots, doesn't allow them to unionize and they can't even take a piss or shit when they have to?

Bezos basically said most people are lazy.? Guess all you idiots enjoy giving this douchebag your hard earned money.

FUCK Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 157November 21, 2021 2:35 AM

Meanwhile, CVS is a great corporate citizen, pays extra taxes, and starts its employees with $20/hour with the best health insurance out there.

by Anonymousreply 158November 21, 2021 1:09 PM

[quote]They have better coupons than Walgreens in my experience?

yet it is in the form of a question?

by Anonymousreply 159November 21, 2021 1:19 PM

r157 Hey, do you realize that Jeff Bezos doesn't own Amazon? And that if you have a 401(k) plan or a mutual fund you're probably one of the owners?

by Anonymousreply 160November 21, 2021 1:50 PM

I thought all Amazon workers started off with $15-20/hour wages. Do they not?

Honestly I don’t care about giving him my money if the services and products he offers are faster and cheaper. Being a prime member and using the subscribe and save option saves me even more on toilet paper, toothpaste, dental floss, etc. Why would I ever want to pay more?

by Anonymousreply 161November 21, 2021 1:53 PM

[quote] Being a prime member and using the subscribe and save option saves me even more on toilet paper, toothpaste, dental floss, etc.

how charming. . . .

by Anonymousreply 162November 21, 2021 1:55 PM

Is it going out of business because it keeps sending me 40% off single item coupons?

by Anonymousreply 163November 21, 2021 1:59 PM

40% off of a CVS price (and you notice that you are not allowed to use the coupon on sale items) is still higher than the everyday price at Walmart, Target, or Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 164November 21, 2021 2:01 PM

Sometimes CVS will print out Extrabucks for me just because. But it really wastes a lot of paper printing out coupons that will never be used!

by Anonymousreply 165November 21, 2021 2:16 PM

My local CVS is a dump. Plus they’ll stole some of my pills! THIEVES

by Anonymousreply 166November 21, 2021 2:24 PM

I now get most things I might have bought at CVS via Amazon.

I can set up regular delivery for some items and most of the time things arrive in a day or two.

Mostly just a matter of remembering to order when you are starting to run low or keeping a reserve.

So much easier than wasting time in the store

by Anonymousreply 167November 21, 2021 2:31 PM

I read a better article about this elsewhere. They aren't really downsizing or in financial trouble. They bought Aetna a few years ago and are now expanding into a bunch of different health care services. The margin on offering urgent care and fatty care is a lot higher than selling candy. Dollar General cut into their candy and junk business, and apparently CVS is happy to let them keep it.

by Anonymousreply 168November 21, 2021 2:40 PM

[quote]The margin on offering urgent care and fatty care is a lot higher than selling candy.

Agree r168. Walgreens is doing the same thing. A store near me has a mini LabCorp operation inside, and its already loaded with people to point where they will eventually have to do away with some of the retail space to accommodate seating and disabled people in wheelchairs. Most of these drugstores were going up on every corner 10 years ago and now they are converting them to mini clinics to make more money.

by Anonymousreply 169November 21, 2021 3:58 PM

Every time I pick up my scrips from CVS I get 37 feet of coupons and discounts I never use...what a waste

by Anonymousreply 170November 22, 2021 1:57 AM

[quote] Every time I pick up my scrips from CVS I get 37 feet of coupons and discounts I never use...what a waste

I loved getting lots of coupons from CVS. They also gave out "Extra Bucks", which you could use for anything. I thought that was great.

by Anonymousreply 171November 22, 2021 2:00 AM

When CVS stopped selling tobacco products, that probably also contributed to their ultimate demise. I'm a former smoker, but I would frequent drug stores (and gas stations) to get smokes back in the day.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if more drug store chains start downsizing. I'm not a CVS stan btw. They're all over priced convenience stores. I actually live within walking distance of a CVS, Rite Aid, and a Walgreens. I wish I was kidding. You can't drive a few miles without passing several of these places, they're everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 172November 22, 2021 2:35 AM

[quote]When CVS stopped selling tobacco products, that probably also contributed to their ultimate demise. I'm a former smoker, but I would frequent drug stores (and gas stations) to get smokes back in the day.

Same. I usually bought my cigs at CVS or Walgreens. They tended to be cheaper there than buying them at a gas station. Grocery stores were always a ripoff.

by Anonymousreply 173November 22, 2021 2:41 AM

R172 here again, I should also add - these are hot spots for opiates as we're dealing with an opioid crisis.

by Anonymousreply 174November 22, 2021 2:47 AM

[quote]When CVS stopped selling tobacco products, that probably also contributed to their ultimate demise. I'm a former smoker, but I would frequent drug stores (and gas stations) to get smokes back in the day.

"Demise?" They have 9,000 stores.

by Anonymousreply 175November 22, 2021 4:03 AM

R157, wrong! He treats the robots better than humans in his warehouses!

Also when Amazon bought whole foods, they got rid of health insurance for part time workers! so fuck Jeff Bezos!

by Anonymousreply 176November 22, 2021 5:20 AM

[quote] no self-checkout

Oh, boo hoo. One fewer people without a job.

by Anonymousreply 177November 22, 2021 10:48 AM

[quote] it was always more expensive than Walmart

And you can shop at Walmart if you lack self-respect.

by Anonymousreply 178November 22, 2021 11:10 AM

I can shop at Walmart online and never have to step foot into one of their depressing stores. Yay, progress!

by Anonymousreply 179November 22, 2021 11:39 AM

I don’t shop at amazon

by Anonymousreply 180November 22, 2021 11:57 AM

[quote]I don’t shop at amazon

Ooooh, get her!

by Anonymousreply 181November 22, 2021 1:07 PM

NYS banned the sale of cigarettes in all pharmacies in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 182November 22, 2021 3:50 PM

Massachusetts banned the sale of all menthol cigarettes in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 183November 22, 2021 4:13 PM

Why? Is menthol worse for you?

by Anonymousreply 184November 22, 2021 4:16 PM

Menthol is worse in the sense that it significantly mitigates the harshness of the tobacco smoke, thereby making the cigarettes easier to smoke and soon become dependent upon.

by Anonymousreply 185November 22, 2021 4:47 PM

I couldn't stand menthol when I smoked, I actually thought menthol cigs were more harsh than regular cigs.

by Anonymousreply 186November 23, 2021 1:11 AM

[quote]Meanwhile, CVS is a great corporate citizen, pays extra taxes, and starts its employees with $20/hour with the best health insurance out there.

The point isn't even the wages or CVS' corporate model, it's the fact that, in a few years, Amazon will eventually own every fucking business that most people deal with.

If Amazon keeps up at this pace, how many brick and mortars stores will there be left? This company has caused many businesses to fold. People are so fucking lazy, half the shit they order from Amazon, they don't urgently need.

For all of you complaining that the chain drugstores are putting mom & pop stores out of business, then, WTF is Amazon doing?

Some of you are incredibly stupid.

by Anonymousreply 187November 24, 2021 1:00 AM

Oh I dunno. At the turn of the last century, Woolworth's was a retail behemoth and had this huge mail-order business. Why would anyone buy anything at a retail shop when you can just mail-order it from Woolworth's?

Nothing is forever.

by Anonymousreply 188November 24, 2021 1:03 AM

[quote][R157], wrong! He treats the robots better than humans in his warehouses! Also when Amazon bought whole foods, they got rid of health insurance for part time workers! so fuck Jeff Bezos!

You basically agreed with me, so how am I WRONG? 🤔 🙄

I hope the next time that ugly fuck Bezos gets into one of his rockets, private planes or helicopters, the damn thing blows up.

I love the fact his ex-wife is giving away so much money!

by Anonymousreply 189November 24, 2021 1:06 AM

[quote]Oh I dunno. At the turn of the last century, Woolworth's was a retail behemoth and had this huge mail-order business. Why would anyone buy anything at a retail shop when you can just mail-order it from Woolworth's? Nothing is forever.

Again, you are completely missing the point. Bezos is as bad as the Koch Brothers, actually he's much worse, he's gobbling up every damn business. Isn't he now the richest person the world? How much money does this freak need? At some point, it's just a game.

by Anonymousreply 190November 24, 2021 1:08 AM

Zuckerberg, Gates and Buffet, amateurs they can fuckin' suck it...

by Anonymousreply 191November 24, 2021 1:12 AM

[quote]Some of you are incredibly stupid.

Hell, yeah. This is Data Lounge!

by Anonymousreply 192November 24, 2021 12:54 PM

Bezos just game $100 million to Obama's Foundation.

by Anonymousreply 193November 24, 2021 5:11 PM

$100 mill, is that all? That's pocket change to that Bezos creep.

by Anonymousreply 194November 25, 2021 12:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!