Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘Grease’ is the next to go

When will the insanity end?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110November 27, 2021 12:07 AM

Well it takes place in the 50s...and it's kind of a big joke...

by Anonymousreply 1November 18, 2021 1:41 AM

I didn't realize that Australia had gone woke.

by Anonymousreply 2November 18, 2021 1:45 AM

Sandy shouldn't have had to dress like a hot tramp in heat to get a guy

by Anonymousreply 3November 18, 2021 1:47 AM

R3 You know, you kids have NO respect for the classics.

by Anonymousreply 4November 18, 2021 1:51 AM

I always thought Sandy's transformation was her idea. If she was really trying to fit in, she'd end up dressing like one of the Pink Ladies.

by Anonymousreply 5November 18, 2021 1:51 AM

People need to wake up oppose the woke!

by Anonymousreply 6November 18, 2021 1:54 AM

People forget that Danny also went out of his way to change for Sandy, even attempting to become a jock. At the end he's sporting a letterman jacket.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 18, 2021 1:55 AM

If I was Sandy's father, I'd drag her on the next plane back to Australia as soon as she came home dressed like that

by Anonymousreply 8November 18, 2021 1:56 AM

I liked how she was waering Candies and spandex and it was supposed to be the 50s.

by Anonymousreply 9November 18, 2021 1:59 AM

I've never heard any actual woman complain about sexism in Grease. It's like being against Roots because it has slavery in it. It is of its time.

by Anonymousreply 10November 18, 2021 2:19 AM

OP- Kenickie looks quite doable in that photo.

by Anonymousreply 11November 18, 2021 2:22 AM

You better shape up...

by Anonymousreply 12November 18, 2021 2:32 AM

In the actual context of the 1950s, Sandy changing herself to be a leather wearing tough girl would be seen as empowering. The good-girl "Sandra Dee" image was in line with the idea of the subservient, docile ideal woman. But of course history doesn't matter to these people.

by Anonymousreply 13November 18, 2021 2:35 AM

Great point R13. History doesn’t matter to these people and neither does subtext.

by Anonymousreply 14November 18, 2021 2:43 AM

I love Rizzos song about being a slut

by Anonymousreply 15November 18, 2021 3:36 AM

There are worse things I could do..

by Anonymousreply 16November 18, 2021 3:47 AM

Leave my goddamn movie alone.

by Anonymousreply 17November 18, 2021 3:48 AM

Damn. And Olivia is Australian royalty.

by Anonymousreply 18November 18, 2021 2:08 PM

Lourdes Leon as Rizzo in high school. Singing better than her mom ever did. I wish she’d gone this route instead of…well, whatever the Hell she’s doing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 18, 2021 2:16 PM

Lourdes did better than I expected. That was my first time to hear this. Thanks for posting!

by Anonymousreply 20November 18, 2021 9:24 PM

Thank goodness I was in the sequel.

by Anonymousreply 21November 18, 2021 9:30 PM

Before all the anti-woke people get too far...

It's some indeterminant amount of Australian children AND it's about their doing a stage production.

It's not about the movie.

And it's not "woke libruls" in the US.

by Anonymousreply 22November 18, 2021 9:34 PM

What are we going to have left to watch?

by Anonymousreply 23November 18, 2021 9:38 PM

[quote] What are we going to have left to watch?

Are you in Perth, Australia, with only access to high school productions for entertainment?

by Anonymousreply 24November 18, 2021 9:41 PM

R9 that fact makes me laugh every time I watch the movie. Olivia was sporting the then red hot (circa late 70s) Candie’s spiked slides and some version of spandex clothing in a movie that was supposed to be taking place during the 1959-1960 school year. Plus, songs like “You’re The One That I Want” were written specifically for Olivia by her close collaborator, song-writer and record producer, John Farrar. The sound of that track was 1979 not 1959!

by Anonymousreply 25November 18, 2021 9:52 PM

[quote] It's like being against Roots because it has slavery in it.

I am.

And now I’ve got my eye on you!

by Anonymousreply 26November 18, 2021 10:00 PM

OMG!!!! TWO SCHOOLS IN AUSTRALIA MIGHT NOT MOUNT A FIFTY YEAR OLD MUSICAL! INSTEAD THEY MIGHT DO ANOTHER MUSICAL!!!! AHHHHH!!!! IT'S JUST LIKE STALIN OR MAO OR HITLER OR SOMETHING!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 27November 18, 2021 10:01 PM

The OP should've entitled the thread "Grease Is NOT The Word"

Sorry you fail in life as a real datalounger.

by Anonymousreply 28November 18, 2021 10:03 PM

This movie came out when I was in high school and I HATED IT. Sexist & stupid, with old fucking people playing high school kids, the awful songs playing on the radio so it was inescapable...I still hate this POS.

by Anonymousreply 29November 18, 2021 10:06 PM

Ohhhh I loved the movie as a kid. Loved it, loved it. Still love it to this day.

But then I saw the musical (in London of all places) in 95 or 96 and I remember thinking that the original lyrics were pretty filthy, but not in a good or fun way and the production was just meh. So yeah probably best that the kiddos do Bye Bye Birdie instead.

by Anonymousreply 30November 18, 2021 10:19 PM

R29 types old.

by Anonymousreply 31November 18, 2021 10:26 PM

Who will think of the Perth Australian children?

by Anonymousreply 32November 19, 2021 10:52 AM

Even though I always despised that stupid movie. I saw it at an inappropriately-young age (thanks to my cousin), and I thought it was the coolest thing. I apparently didn't understand 90% of it, because I saw it later and realized how stupid and bad it was.

However, it's still stupid to cancel it. Just don't watch it if you don't like it.

by Anonymousreply 33November 19, 2021 11:01 AM

Damnit this is where I draw the line. My mom took me to see it at 11 years old and I just loved the music and thought Sandy was pretty and Danny was handsome, the perverted parts went over my head. It is one of my favorite movies, has great memories for me.

by Anonymousreply 34November 19, 2021 11:03 AM

[quote] Damnit this is where I draw the line.

No one is taking away the movie, dingus.

by Anonymousreply 35November 19, 2021 11:04 AM

Grease is lame.

by Anonymousreply 36November 19, 2021 11:06 AM

Lourdes did a great job

by Anonymousreply 37November 19, 2021 11:09 AM

[quote]Lourdes did a great job.

Not much of a stretch playing the town whore who might be knocked up.

by Anonymousreply 38November 19, 2021 11:27 AM

I cannot believe how stupid Dataloungers have become.

R22 very sensibly points out that this has NOTHING to do with the movie or even the U.S. and seconds later R23 acts as if the movie has been banned forever.

Multiple people have pointed out repeatedly it's not about the movie, and yet multiple others keep saying it IS.

This is like that Gone With the Wind hysteria where the movie was off HBO Max (but no other platforms) for something like 20 days while they created a new intro for it. To this day people on DL still say the movie has been banned and censored!

Complete, unabashed idiocy. Some of you should be fucking ashamed of your stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 39November 19, 2021 11:31 AM

My school's drama teacher said the same thing back when I was in high school. She refused to considerate for production due to Sandy changing herself for a man. It's obviously not a new criticism.

by Anonymousreply 40November 19, 2021 11:32 AM

No customer would go to you unless she was a hooker!

by Anonymousreply 41November 19, 2021 12:20 PM

[quote] IT'S JUST LIKE STALIN OR MAO OR HITLER OR SOMETHING!!!!!!

Your heroes, R27?

by Anonymousreply 42November 19, 2021 12:41 PM

Let's not forget the car, Greased Lightning. It was a "real pussy wagon"!

by Anonymousreply 43November 19, 2021 1:06 PM

Could it be the teen pregnancy?

by Anonymousreply 44November 19, 2021 1:53 PM

R44 We did a production of Grease at my suburban high school (I played the guy who dated the chubby girl) and the pregnancy plot was cut entirely.

by Anonymousreply 45November 19, 2021 2:05 PM

R42 doesn't remember who fought who in WW2.

by Anonymousreply 46November 19, 2021 3:46 PM

[quote]due to Sandy changing herself for a man.

In the woke version, Sandy changes herself INTO a man.

by Anonymousreply 47November 19, 2021 5:25 PM

You Klan Grannies will grasp on to any bullshit story to get your outrage boner.

It'd be funny if it didn't lead to book burnings.

by Anonymousreply 48November 19, 2021 9:34 PM

[quote]You Klan Grannies will grasp on to any bullshit story to get your outrage boner.

There are worse things we could do.

by Anonymousreply 49November 19, 2021 9:40 PM

Adrienne sang "Love Potion #9" at her audition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 19, 2021 9:44 PM

Tell me about it, Stud!

by Anonymousreply 51November 19, 2021 9:44 PM

I saw the movie, Grease, on the big screen when I was in high school (in it's original run) and I thought it was a piece of shit. They had some really good older actors. No, not the actors playing teenagers, I mean the really older actors, like Eve Arden. They completely wasted her, couldn't they come up with some funny lines? Allan Carr was without talent as a producer. Fat fuck. The dances looked like a mess. The new songs (that played endlessly on the radio that summer) were crap. I was shocked about 20 years later when some kids told me the movie was a classic, to their generation.

by Anonymousreply 52November 20, 2021 2:55 PM

*its

by Anonymousreply 53November 20, 2021 2:56 PM

It's not exactly unusual that a new generation will look back at some of the cultural products an older generation loves and find it insane that no one noticed the obvious terrible-ness of it. Like 16 Candles. Or Gone With The Wind.

by Anonymousreply 54November 20, 2021 3:55 PM

R54 I guess that's not usnusual, either, but that's actually the opposite of what I was saying.

by Anonymousreply 55November 20, 2021 4:24 PM

R31 = Master of Stating the Obvious from a window seat on the short bus.

No shit I'm old, I SAID the movie came out when I was in High School.

by Anonymousreply 56November 20, 2021 8:04 PM

It did to the stage property what the movie versions did to Sound of Music and Little Shop. Ticket buyers come in expecting the movie. Scaled up, Grease and Little Shop have lost their original charm. Annie hasn't had a production with charm since the original. Whatever happened to...charm?

by Anonymousreply 57November 20, 2021 8:14 PM

R19. Damn, Madonna's daughter, Lourdes Leon, has a fabulous voice. She should sing; she's terrific. My impression of her has changed from a tattooed cheap thing not suited to modeling to a very talented singer. Is she pursuing singing?

by Anonymousreply 58November 20, 2021 9:09 PM

Why did I immediately know this bullshit would be in a right-wing rag?

Here's the part where morons act as though this is some widespread, liberal/Democratic-led effort to rid the world of the scourge that is "Grease."

by Anonymousreply 59November 20, 2021 9:28 PM

Maybe no one was paying attention to you, R52?

by Anonymousreply 60November 20, 2021 10:01 PM

My HS drama teacher said the exact same thing about "Grease" in 1990 when some of the students wanted to do it, and this was hardly a bastion of progressivism. This isn't a new observation.

by Anonymousreply 61November 21, 2021 12:10 AM

There is a middle school in Manhattan that’s working on a production of “Grease” right now. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 62November 21, 2021 12:34 AM

Needs some songs about wet ass pussies to be empowering to women.

by Anonymousreply 63November 21, 2021 12:40 AM

What's wrong with some of you? This has nothing to do with the quality of Grease as entertainment. It has to do with the ridiculous level of policing of everything that has ever existed in the name of the "PC" boogeyman even though it's just a small, big-mouthed group of busybodies looking to cause trouble and get attention for themselves. The whole "first they came for..." sentiment applies here. The Wokesters are the fascists of the Left. I'm surprised they haven't picked up the Right's "lock ____ up!" chant. I guess their version is to "cancel" people and things instead. At least for now.

by Anonymousreply 64November 21, 2021 12:45 AM

R64, every fucking thing on this earth has someone bitching, but you're the one who gives into the right-wing highlighting it as if it's some groundswell of objection to Grease.

by Anonymousreply 65November 21, 2021 1:07 AM

Why is everything "woke is bad" with you people? Just because this show isn't a good fit for a local school doesn't mean the liberals are coming for your show tunes. Get a grip.

by Anonymousreply 66November 21, 2021 1:22 AM

The woke crowd has been bitching about Grease for several years now. I remember they were bitching on twitter around the time FOX was getting ready to do the live production in 2016.

by Anonymousreply 67November 21, 2021 1:34 AM

R67, and you're the only one who even fucking remembers that ANYONE bitched about it then. It's still everywhere if you want to watch that crap.

by Anonymousreply 68November 21, 2021 2:54 AM

R58 "I can sing. I just don't care about it," Leon said. "Maybe it's too close to home."

Ah, the ignorance of youth.

by Anonymousreply 69November 21, 2021 3:01 AM

To illustrate the difference in attitudes between today and many years ago: in 1979 a Lesbian woman I knew told her 9 year old nephew that she was going to take him to see a stage show of Grease and she knew he would like it. She took him and he fell in love with the show and especially all the songs. He learned every song by heart and went around singing Greased Lightnin' all the time. He named his cat Sandy! So for Christmas that year I gave him the Grease movie soundtrack album with all the songs and he was ecstatic over that. Nobody ever had any objections about anything in the musical at that time. It was all taken in context and even people who didn't like musicals realized it was a satire on 1950s teen culture in America. Anyway, the Lesbian was pleased that her nephew loved Grease and the boy was pleased that she took him (she was a tough ole' butch Lesbian and he had no choice anyway.) But he continued to love the Grease songs for many years and grew up to be a confirmed Bisexual. This is a true story. My point is: All this outrage and 'woke culture' hate is stupid and childish. It's all political (in the original Greek meaning of the word.)

by Anonymousreply 70November 21, 2021 5:25 AM

People who think there is no WAP in Grease obviously don’t know the chicks will cream for greased lightening. It’s a real pussy wagon R63.

by Anonymousreply 71November 21, 2021 10:15 AM

It's so sad when suckers like the Woke-Hating Grannies on this thread fall for the latest right-wing media panic.

They're just like the people who ran around mad about hot coffee at a McDonald's in 1990.

Fucking serfs.

by Anonymousreply 72November 21, 2021 11:46 AM

I am as anti "woke" as they come but 2 high schools not doing it in HS in Australia is non news. Who cares?

And yes, the point of Sandy and Danny in the end is that they BOTH learned to compromiser and change for each other (though prsonally I don't think that's a great message either for either gender, but that's another thing.

by Anonymousreply 73November 21, 2021 11:53 AM

R73 to clarify, compromise is good but completelt changing yourself for someone isn't.

by Anonymousreply 74November 21, 2021 11:55 AM

Also, as a useful exercise, it might be worthwhile for old white people to stop using the term "woke" as a pejorative for like three months. Try it. We'll all feel better.

by Anonymousreply 75November 21, 2021 12:00 PM

I saw Grease in previews at the Broadhurst. It had been a big hit off Broadway(at the Eden?) so I thought it would be a fun nostalgia musical. I didn't like it and had no desire to see it again so I had no idea it would be a international phenomenon. And I certainly didn't think of its social implications. If it had flopped I would have hardly remembered it.

by Anonymousreply 76November 21, 2021 12:05 PM

Old white people? So you mean,this entire board R75 lol

I agree though, just call it what it is. Stupid.

by Anonymousreply 77November 21, 2021 12:10 PM

Having four leads who all looked in their 50s playing teens should have canceled this shit years ago. Travolta was gayer than a pink prolapsed anus.

by Anonymousreply 78November 21, 2021 12:10 PM

No, the crotchety Grandmas on here think any challenge to Clinton-era liberalism is WOKE NONSENSE and rage against it.

by Anonymousreply 79November 21, 2021 12:12 PM

[quote]Nobody ever had any objections about anything in the musical at that time.

It got quite a few bad reviews at the time, and many felt it was a cheap attempt to cash in on weird, misplaced, commercialized nostalgia.

by Anonymousreply 80November 21, 2021 12:14 PM

R79 not really, not any challenges. The stupid ones only.

by Anonymousreply 81November 21, 2021 12:20 PM

And "not liking Grease" is stupid? Seems wise to me.

by Anonymousreply 82November 21, 2021 12:22 PM

R82, eh its dumb if you opt out of doing it for certain reasons, as others have statd on this thread, but like I said in another post, nothing to get into a tizzy about. It's 2 damn high schools in Australia,.

by Anonymousreply 83November 21, 2021 12:30 PM

But I like getting into a tizzy.

by Anonymousreply 84November 21, 2021 12:49 PM

There's also a huge difference between "totally appropriate" and "totally appropriate for a school production". Go to college and do all the crazy experimental naked Rocky Horror stuff you want, I love that. But in a HS where the audience is the other students and family and faculty, stick to one of the thousand great options where nobody has to mime oral sex in front of their grandparents or be in their lingerie around the English teacher or do shows about how if your boyfriend thinks you're not loose enough, dress sluttier.

I couldn't really care less about "Grease" one way or the other beyond thinking it has some pretty great songs, but it's such a lazy and uninspired choice for a school play beyond the messaging.

by Anonymousreply 85November 21, 2021 1:25 PM

R85 you are a voice of reason in a sea of division troll posts.

by Anonymousreply 86November 21, 2021 1:27 PM

[quote] Go to college and do all the crazy experimental naked Rocky Horror stuff you want, I love that.

Can I watch?

by Anonymousreply 87November 21, 2021 1:28 PM

[quote] nobody has to mime oral sex in front of their grandparents

Isn’t that the true spirit of Thanksgiving and what it’s all about?

by Anonymousreply 88November 21, 2021 1:28 PM

[quote]Why is everything "woke is bad" with you people? Just because this show isn't a good fit for a local school doesn't mean the liberals are coming for your show tunes. Get a grip.

I don't know if anyone read the article, but it says some girls rasied objections. It wasn't necessarily that it was a bad fit for the school. A vocal minority made a stink about it and got it cancelled. Very probably, the majority of the students were not against doing the show. It can be seen as a microcosm of what's going on in the wider world. Social justice warriors who campaign to cancel art because it doesn't conform to their ideals. And they're obeyed. It's just censorship. No different from any other censorship.

by Anonymousreply 89November 21, 2021 2:00 PM

I am exercising radical acceptance. I can handle this. Just don’t try and cancel Bye Bye Birdie. That I will not tolerate.

by Anonymousreply 90November 21, 2021 2:05 PM

We’ll check in on that later, right now we’ve got an eye on To Kill A Mockingbird.

by Anonymousreply 91November 21, 2021 2:18 PM

They'll have too pry my VHS of Grease out of my COLD, DEAD HANDS!!!

by Anonymousreply 92November 21, 2021 4:05 PM

Doesn’t Frenchie have a lot to communicate about not obtaining your goals? Who canceled Who?

by Anonymousreply 93November 21, 2021 5:17 PM

[quote] They'll have too pry

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 94November 21, 2021 6:40 PM

R94, what's the "Oh, dear!" for? Nonetheless, I am HONORED to be Oh, dear'ed here!

Oh shit, I already typed my response before I saw it. "Too." I thought I'd used the wrong tense of pry.

by Anonymousreply 95November 21, 2021 9:14 PM

Well, that doesn’t mean we don’t love ya.

I got a kick out your post regardless.

by Anonymousreply 96November 21, 2021 9:18 PM

Thanks, R89, for making sense. The people that just don't understand how authoritarian the woke crowd acts are being purposefully obtuse or they are just that ignorant. Woke and Trumptard are two sides of the same coin.

[quote]Also, as a useful exercise, it might be worthwhile for old white people to stop using the term "woke" as a pejorative for like three months. Try it. We'll all feel better.

Another useful exercise would be for the wokesters to stop being fucking reactionary, whining morons at least until the next election because they are going to cost us the House, at least. Keep up the bullshit, and we'll end up with President DeSatan in 2024. Of course, that will just give you more to react to and whine about so you probably don't really care. Anyway, try it. We'll all feel better.

by Anonymousreply 97November 21, 2021 9:57 PM

Yes, it's the WOKESTERS who transformed Biden's big legislative achievements into nothing much. It's WOKESTERS who stand in the way of drug pricing reform. It's WOKESTERS who refuse to pass voting rights.

Right?

Oh, no wait. It's moderates. Corporate moderates who don't give a fig about WOKE shit but seem to want to make sure that the Dems do nothing much with their trifecta.

I know it's comforting for old people to think it's all the fault of everyone else. But fuck you R97. It's not fucking Canceling Grease that's gonna cost anyone the House. It's a few Dems in the pockets of Big Pharma who water down everything into a non-achivement that no one cares about that will doom them.

by Anonymousreply 98November 21, 2021 10:13 PM

Wrong, R98. The Wokesters are handing the Right their talking points because the Wokesters don't understand politics or elections. They are immature whiny brats who force the Democrats into corners instead of coalescing around practical legislation and political platforms. They are helping people like Manchin play his games because he can point to them as the crazies for cover for his assholery. Like I said before, Wokesters and Trumptards are two sides of the same coin.

by Anonymousreply 99November 21, 2021 10:31 PM

Isn't there a Grease Jr. that'd done in some schools? If the original version is too extreme, why not just switch it out for that one if they really want to do it?

I do think it works better with 20 and 30 year olds playing the teens. It's less grounded and more silly and a lot of the story is easier to accept.

by Anonymousreply 100November 21, 2021 10:36 PM

R99 you are so right! I can’t believe people don’t see it…

by Anonymousreply 101November 21, 2021 10:46 PM

[quote] Isn't there a Grease Jr. that'd done in some schools? If the original version is too extreme, why not just switch it out for that one if they really want to do it?

Yeah, there's the School Edition version.

by Anonymousreply 102November 22, 2021 2:40 AM

But doesn't it have the same ending which is what the wokesters are objecting to?

by Anonymousreply 103November 22, 2021 9:47 PM

Two schools in Australia apparently equals the whole world!

This just shows how dumb the freepers are. Shouldn't you guys be busy banning Toni Morrison books from the library?

by Anonymousreply 104November 22, 2021 9:49 PM

R99, Republicans like you are the whiny brats. You bitch about shit like "Critical Race Theory" even though you losers can't define it!

You whine about American Democrats because of what a couple schools in Australia did

by Anonymousreply 105November 22, 2021 9:51 PM

R91 is busy getting LGBT books banned from the library in Bumfucke, Virginia with the rest of the Republican frau brigade.

It figures that you guys would link to a New York Post article

by Anonymousreply 106November 22, 2021 9:53 PM

R105, there is no way anyone with more than a first grade reading ability could think I'm a Repug after reading what I wrote. You are a moron.

by Anonymousreply 107November 23, 2021 1:49 AM

The very snooty director of Carrie at the RSC who was as the show was being developed in touch with the Weislers to bring it to NY. They told him it should have some quality of Grease in it. They flew to London to discuss the show with him and saw the costumes were of grecian gowns and togas. They were WTF?! And he said but you wanted it to have the quality of Greece and they said 'Not Greece the country! Grease the musical!' they left knowing it would be a shitstorm.

by Anonymousreply 108November 23, 2021 6:07 PM

But should Carrie have some quality of Grease in it?

by Anonymousreply 109November 27, 2021 12:03 AM

No, there’s too much blood, now you want grease too?

by Anonymousreply 110November 27, 2021 12:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!