Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Frances McDormand Could Make History As The First Person Nominated For Best Picture and Acting Oscars Consecutively

We never thought we'd agree on anything but we 100% agree on this: she has to be stopped by any means necessary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169November 24, 2021 8:32 PM

Didn't Laurence Olivier achieve this with "Hamlet"?

by Anonymousreply 1November 17, 2021 10:58 PM

I can’t wait to see this. I’m annoyed at the multiple black-and-white films in contention this year, but this one actually looks to be using that for a purpose.

by Anonymousreply 2November 17, 2021 11:00 PM

ENOUGH!

by Anonymousreply 3November 17, 2021 11:02 PM

R1 They’re saying it would be historic for someone to nominated for both Actor/Actress and Picture for two years in a row.

by Anonymousreply 4November 17, 2021 11:02 PM

Oops, my bad, I missed the "consecutively" part.

by Anonymousreply 5November 17, 2021 11:02 PM

Meryl must so be so livid. Any of those going to make oscar number five for her?

Pity.

by Anonymousreply 6November 17, 2021 11:04 PM

Frances will win her fourth acting Oscar before Meryl does.

by Anonymousreply 7November 17, 2021 11:06 PM

R7: Can people please stop talking about her for one fucking minute!? I'll get there eventually. This hag owes everything to her director husband.

by Anonymousreply 8November 17, 2021 11:11 PM

If she is good why not reward her? Too white?

by Anonymousreply 9November 17, 2021 11:17 PM

God, I hope not. I'm sick to death of her ugly mouth and award show weirdness. Please just go the fuck away.

by Anonymousreply 10November 17, 2021 11:18 PM

Is Denzel going to rip the trophy right out of Will Smith's eager hands? I hope so.

by Anonymousreply 11November 17, 2021 11:20 PM

[quote] This hag owes everything to her director husband.

She does and I don't even like his movies anymore because of her.

by Anonymousreply 12November 17, 2021 11:20 PM

I hate these same tired celebrities who dominate these award shows.

by Anonymousreply 13November 17, 2021 11:21 PM

R11: I'd much rather see Denzel win his third Oscar than that talentless hack win an Oscar for his many years of being a celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 14November 17, 2021 11:22 PM

Who the fuck cares about this?

by Anonymousreply 15November 17, 2021 11:23 PM

I find it hard to live in a world where Denzel Washington doesn't have three Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 16November 17, 2021 11:29 PM

R15 after the last Academy Awards show nobody.

by Anonymousreply 17November 17, 2021 11:30 PM

Frances is drab. Sometimes she seems special needs.

by Anonymousreply 18November 17, 2021 11:31 PM

Go woke, go broke.

by Anonymousreply 19November 17, 2021 11:31 PM

that bitch gets on my nerves

by Anonymousreply 20November 17, 2021 11:32 PM

My only special need is a bucket.

by Anonymousreply 21November 17, 2021 11:32 PM

R19 and because of all that I would never want a single nomination to my name because of how politically tainted and awful these award shows have become.

by Anonymousreply 22November 17, 2021 11:36 PM

Frances really gets on the Klan Grannies’ nerves, unlike Glenn, who played a Klan Granny.

by Anonymousreply 23November 17, 2021 11:39 PM

Is R19 referring to Frances McDormand? How can her winning an Oscar be categorized as "woke"?

by Anonymousreply 24November 17, 2021 11:40 PM

You could tell last year that Glenn Close was actively hoping to lose for that Hillbilly performance.

by Anonymousreply 25November 17, 2021 11:41 PM

R24 More awards and equal rights for ugly actresses.

by Anonymousreply 26November 17, 2021 11:41 PM

R27 I was responding to R17'st post, but R18 commented just before me.

by Anonymousreply 27November 17, 2021 11:43 PM

That was for R24

by Anonymousreply 28November 17, 2021 11:43 PM

We need more beautiful actresses to start winning again - Kim Basinger, Halle Berry, Natalie Portman. Enough of these homely bitches like Glenn Close and Frances McDormand.

by Anonymousreply 29November 17, 2021 11:43 PM

Honey, Glenn has never won.

by Anonymousreply 30November 17, 2021 11:44 PM

I want Glenn to win for a great performance. She’ll get there, just give her time.

by Anonymousreply 31November 17, 2021 11:45 PM

Memaw was my Sophie.

by Anonymousreply 32November 17, 2021 11:46 PM

R31 It won't happen. Not after her doing "Da Butt" at last year's show.

by Anonymousreply 33November 17, 2021 11:47 PM

The Streep fangurls hate McDormand because what took almost thirty years for Meryl to achieve was tied and beaten by McDormand in one night. Not to mention McDormand won her second, third and fourth in less than a five year span.

by Anonymousreply 34November 17, 2021 11:48 PM

Any black person watching last year's Oscars should feel embarrassed by how patronizing that whole production was.

by Anonymousreply 35November 17, 2021 11:49 PM

Streep is a movie legend.

Frances is competent but is the same ill-tempered grouch in every movie.

by Anonymousreply 36November 17, 2021 11:55 PM

Anything that Frances did in the past 20 years >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Anything that Meryl did in the past 20 years.

The only possible exception: The Devil Wears Prada.

by Anonymousreply 37November 18, 2021 12:09 AM

And Adaptation, R37, which I think she should have won for.

by Anonymousreply 38November 18, 2021 12:12 AM

Please. Frances was in a Transformer movie and Aeon Flux. Everyone has movies that are forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 39November 18, 2021 12:14 AM

[quote] Frances is competent but is the same ill-tempered grouch in every movie.

Her character in Fargo was nothing like an ill-tempered grouch. One of the best performances in any film.

by Anonymousreply 40November 18, 2021 12:25 AM

I hated Three Billboards but Frances was great in it. What a tour de force! I would be happy if both Frances and Meryl took an Oscar hiatus. They both have enough hardware at this point. As for The Devil Wears Prada, I thought Meryl's Miranda Priestly looked more like a Good Housekeeping editor than an editor of Vogue. Although I enjoyed Meryl (whose style I found a bit frumpy), Faye Dunaway or Tilda Swinton would have rocked that role. However, Joan Crawford did it best as Amanda Farrow in The Best of Everything. Younger gays should check that one out.

by Anonymousreply 41November 18, 2021 12:41 AM

Discussions like this are why I often find the "woke" outrage surrounding the Oscars so hollow. Yeah, I get it, people feel the Academy has tried too hard to bring more diversity into the fold, but at the end of the day, far more white actors walk away with Oscars than people of color ever will and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Halle Berry won her Oscar 20 years ago and how many black actresses (or actresses of any color other than white) have followed her to the podium in the lead actress category since? Let me help you -- zero. And all of the back-and-forth that goes on year after year about Meryl and Frances and which one will be the first to win their 4th, 5th, 6th and 15th Oscar, do you really think a non-white actor or actress would ever be allowed to win as many times as these two have? We'll see this year if Denzel Washington can enter the triple-winners' club by taking home the award for "Macbeth" but I wouldn't bet any money on it.

To break it down, black actors have done far better over the Academy's near 100-year history in the supporting category (with wins by Morgan Freeman, Lupita Nyong'o, and Whoopi Goldberg, among many others) as well as other categories including score, screenwriting, documentary feature and even Best Picture ("Moonlight"). But in the lead acting categories, only black men have triumphed repeatedly (Sidney Poitier, Denzel Washington, Forest Whitaker, Jamie Foxx), though none more than once (Denzel's first was for supporting for "Glory"), which brings me back to my original point: those who scream foul every year whenever they see a black nominee walk across the red carpet and start yelling about how their "assured" win is proof yet again that the Oscars are finished because they're only giving them to black people now are pulling their hair out way too prematurely. Yes, people of color have made great strides at the Oscars over the last 30 years but still have a very long way to go before catching up to the honors stacked up by their white counterparts.

By the way, if diversity is truly to take hold at the Oscars, we will also start to see more recognition for both non-white and non-black actors, who've had limited recognition in the past (Rita Moreno won supporting back in 1962 and this year we saw a supporting actress win for Youn Yuh-jung for "Minari" as well as best picture in 2019 for "Parasite"). And let's be clear, no one, be they white or non-white, should win for any reason other than sheer artistry, but seeing an array of colors on the winners' stage is not a bad thing or something to be dismissed as "wokeness." We should have the ability to recognize talent from all walks of life, which can only serve to raise the level of talent we see in the future. (Sadly, for many Oscar watchers, their view of the awards is very reflective of how Republicans view elections -- a win is only legitimate if a white person wins and automatically illegitimate if a non-white person wins.) I personally applaud the Academy for at least trying and think they deserve a lot more credit than they often receive from those on all sides of this never-ending conversation.

(The attached has a nice breakdown of where the diversity count stands at the Oscars. Unfortunately, in the acting categories at least, Native Americans are still at zero.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 18, 2021 1:51 AM

I dislike her because people gather to recognize her work and she always acts like it's the most difficult, tragic thing she's ever done to have to accept the praise and awards.

Cunt from hell.

by Anonymousreply 43November 18, 2021 1:53 AM

Meryl > Cuntfran.

Period.

THAT ISN'T A QUESTION.

by Anonymousreply 44November 18, 2021 1:59 AM

It really isn't, R44.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 18, 2021 3:26 AM

I mean, having to choose between this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 18, 2021 3:32 AM

and this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 18, 2021 3:33 AM

is a real life Sophie's choice.

by Anonymousreply 48November 18, 2021 3:34 AM

Maybe Mary Louise has more "range," but Frannie has overall better taste in projects.

by Anonymousreply 49November 18, 2021 4:40 AM

Meryl took forever to tie (Ingrid Bergman) and Hilary Swank. She isn’t tied with Frances McDormand. Why do people throw out inaccurate Oscar trivia?

by Anonymousreply 50November 18, 2021 4:50 AM

Any thread about an actress sure brings out the anti-Meryl loons. You people are fucking exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 51November 18, 2021 4:52 AM

I do hope Frances washes her hair this time for the Oscars ceremony.

by Anonymousreply 52November 18, 2021 4:52 AM

I didn't know Danes were black.

by Anonymousreply 53November 18, 2021 4:53 AM

[quote]Meryl took forever to tie (Ingrid Bergman) and Hilary Swank.

R50 don't forget, I won two Best Actress Oscars in five-years' time!

by Anonymousreply 54November 18, 2021 11:18 AM

Meryl and Glenn have beauty and class next to Frances McDormand who doesn't look like she's washed her vajayjay in 6 months.

by Anonymousreply 55November 18, 2021 3:57 PM

[quote] I do hope Frances washes her hair

and her smelly cunt

by Anonymousreply 56November 18, 2021 4:06 PM

I didn't appreciate having to see McDormand's pussy in Nomadland. Meryl would never stoop to that level.

by Anonymousreply 57November 18, 2021 4:32 PM

Didn't Meryl flash her tits in SILKWOOD and that rom-com she did with Robert De Niro?

by Anonymousreply 58November 18, 2021 4:51 PM

R58 Yes, but Meryl did not bare her beaver the way McDomand did.

by Anonymousreply 59November 18, 2021 5:31 PM

Frances’ cunt was hardly in close-up, give it a break. They probably wanted to prove she was a woman.

by Anonymousreply 60November 18, 2021 5:34 PM

Meryl can bleach and sandblast her cunt, she's not getting another Best Actress award in this lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 61November 18, 2021 5:37 PM

When was Frances pussy shown in Nomadland? The shitting scene?

by Anonymousreply 62November 18, 2021 5:52 PM

Her fake "aw shucks" and "I'm just a regular person" act is very off-putting.

by Anonymousreply 63November 18, 2021 6:18 PM

R63 how do you mean?

by Anonymousreply 64November 18, 2021 6:22 PM

Like her acceptance speech and what she wore at last year's Academy Awards......just trying to act like one of those stupid characters she plays.

She looked like she just came in from working in the garden and was just "so surprised" that she might win......

She's as FAKE and phony as Lina Lamont....but not as talented.

by Anonymousreply 65November 18, 2021 6:31 PM

I was shocked when Frances won last year, to be honest. I really thought Carey Mulligan was going to win and, if not her, either Viola or Andra. Vanessa Kirby is the only one I thought had zero chance.

Also was pretty floored when Anthony Hopkins won since literally everyone was acting like Chadwick Boseman had already won (for a performance I’m very glad was not rewarded with an Oscar - it was really quite hammy at times).

It’s probably the only ceremony I’ve seen where the lead Oscars were both surprises for me.

by Anonymousreply 66November 18, 2021 6:36 PM

Media hype isn't based in reality? You're kidding...

by Anonymousreply 67November 18, 2021 6:54 PM

[QUOTE] Media hype isn't based in reality? You're kidding...

Is this supposed to be directed at me?

by Anonymousreply 68November 18, 2021 7:01 PM

R62 Not the shitting scene. She was floating in river on her back.

by Anonymousreply 69November 18, 2021 7:03 PM

I don't understand...how can a person be nominated for Best Picture?

by Anonymousreply 70November 18, 2021 7:07 PM

The producers (who are people) are nominated for Best Picture. They’re the ones who receive the gongs. Frances was a producer of Nomadland.

by Anonymousreply 71November 18, 2021 7:13 PM

R70 the nomination and win goes to the producer(s).

by Anonymousreply 72November 18, 2021 7:13 PM

I started disliking her after that hard, nasty look she gave during Amy Adams' acceptance speech a few years back at the Golden Globes.

by Anonymousreply 73November 18, 2021 11:56 PM

[quote]I don't understand...how can a person be nominated for Best Picture?

The Academy just likes her so much that they would do something like this for her.

“The nominees for Best Picture are Belfast, The Power of the Dog, King Richard, Being the Ricardos, and Frances McDormand.”

by Anonymousreply 74November 19, 2021 12:31 AM

R74 can't you read? Or won't you read the previous posts? It has been stated that it's the producers who get the nod/win for Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 75November 19, 2021 12:49 AM

R73: She’s a sore loser. I remember she put on her bitch face and used her napkin as a fan when Maggie Gyllenhaal beat her at the Golden Globes. Bitch should count her lucky stars. If it wasn’t for the Coen Brothers, she’d be a gender studies professor at best and a janitor at worst. Also, I agree her I don’t give a shit about awards shtick is getting old and boring.

by Anonymousreply 76November 19, 2021 12:57 AM

She's a sore winner too. She got annoyed with the director last time when during the Best Picture acceptance speech she said no here's Fern (the character's name.)

McDormand said tersely "It's Fran" , the director made a face like oops. Annoyed her again!

by Anonymousreply 77November 19, 2021 1:03 AM

^^now, here's Fern

by Anonymousreply 78November 19, 2021 1:05 AM

Her poker face presenting Best Actress to Olivia Colman is interesting to watch. She presumably thought Close would win and they made a film together and know each other.

Follow her eyes. She opens the envelope. Seems awkward about where to look (Glenn is front and center, Olivia off to Fran's left.) She sort of panics a little looks right briefly glances at Glenn and then over to Olivia.

Sam Rockwell on the other hand just stares at Glenn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79November 19, 2021 1:10 AM

Olivia really had one of uglier “winner” dresses I’ve seen. There’s just too much fabric and it’s a drab color combo.

by Anonymousreply 80November 19, 2021 1:35 AM

Being the Ricardos is not getting Oscar nominations.

by Anonymousreply 81November 19, 2021 1:41 AM

Christ on a cracker!!! She plays the same character in everything she does!!!!

by Anonymousreply 82November 19, 2021 1:49 AM

[quote] She looked like she just came in from working in the garden

She lives in Bolinas, I bet she probably just did.

by Anonymousreply 83November 19, 2021 2:11 AM

[quote]R74 can't you read? Or won't you read the previous posts? It has been stated that it's the producers who get the nod/win for Best Picture.

LOL you are such an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 84November 19, 2021 2:18 AM

of course it is r81. All 4 acting categories maybe even.

by Anonymousreply 85November 19, 2021 2:25 AM

I find it hard to believe that the voters would give her another Oscar this soon. That's not to say she won't be nominated but I'd be shocked if she gets it again, especially since she won just last year. I'm sure they'd much rather give Nicole Kidman a second one than Frances her third (or fourth, whichever it is).

[quote]I agree her I don’t give a shit about awards shtick is getting old and boring.

I like her but even I agree that it's the height of phoniness to put on like awards mean nothing to you, yet there you are, front and center, at every ceremony. If she really didn't care, she'd do like Woody Allen used to do on Oscar night and stay home.

by Anonymousreply 86November 19, 2021 2:39 AM

Plus some of the awards she wins you have to submit yourself for. Like SAG, Golden Globes. You have to fill out a form. Don't want it? Don't fill out the form. Stay home.

by Anonymousreply 87November 19, 2021 2:44 AM

I agree with R65. She's a nicky addict -- has been heavy smoker for 35 years. She'll stop herself eventually...

by Anonymousreply 88November 19, 2021 2:51 AM

Nicole Kidman is winning nothing but best freak!

by Anonymousreply 89November 20, 2021 5:06 AM

r89/Tom go to bed. And get used to the fact that your old beards seem to often get Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 90November 20, 2021 5:14 AM

[quote] She lives in Bolinas

Of course she does. Do you actually think she'd buy a home in the Hollywood Hills, Malibu or Calabasas like every other celebrity?

by Anonymousreply 91November 21, 2021 1:37 AM

Scott Feinberg doesn't even have her or Denzel in his predictions.

by Anonymousreply 92November 21, 2021 1:40 AM

I can remember originally watching that Olivia Colman Oscar speech and thinking it rather disingenuous at the time but watching it again now I literally broke down in tears between all my laughter. God, I so love Olivia Colman!!!

by Anonymousreply 93November 21, 2021 1:59 AM

Disingenuous? How so. Just curious of your impression.

She is genuinely funny but I also think it helped that she was clearly shocked and probably hadn't prepared a speech. She spoke off the cuff like people used to. Nowadays they've made so many speeches by the time they get to the Oscar podium they almost seem to just be relieved its all over.

by Anonymousreply 94November 21, 2021 2:06 AM

You're totally right, r94.

But somehow I thought back then her bumbling and stumbling and "aw, shucks, what me?" attempt was very fake. And she seemed enough of a contender to be more prepared. I've always loved her so don't know why I felt that.

And as I said, watching it again, I'm all aboard and loving every second of that speech.

by Anonymousreply 95November 21, 2021 2:12 AM

thanks r95. Interesting to hear your opinion.

by Anonymousreply 96November 21, 2021 2:14 AM

I love Olivia Colman but that win was fraud in my opinion. That was a supporting performance, not lead.

by Anonymousreply 97November 21, 2021 2:29 AM

Yeah it would have been perfect if Close finally won for lead and Colman got one for supporting.

(Regina King who did get the supporting award that year was coasting on her TV success. She did nothing special in that film.)

by Anonymousreply 98November 21, 2021 3:05 AM

She deserves all her accolades. She is a phenomenal actress.

by Anonymousreply 99November 21, 2021 3:09 AM

[quote]I've always loved her so don't know why I felt that.

Because she's an actress. An Academy Award winning actress.

A good performance is always more important to a good actress than actual truth. As a general rule of thumb, if actors are in front of a camera, any camera, they are performing.

by Anonymousreply 100November 21, 2021 12:18 PM

If Frances McDormand wins any awards at next year's Oscars I hope a streaker runs across stage during her acceptance speech.

by Anonymousreply 101November 21, 2021 4:36 PM

She’d probably do it herself if you suggested it to her

by Anonymousreply 102November 21, 2021 4:38 PM

And shits in a bucket.

by Anonymousreply 103November 21, 2021 4:38 PM

Something tells me, R101, that she would actually enjoy that.

by Anonymousreply 104November 21, 2021 4:39 PM

“This hag owes everything to her director husband.”

That is bs. There are several actresses who are/have been married to directors and none with the career trajectory McD has.

by Anonymousreply 105November 21, 2021 4:42 PM

Between Frances and her husband, they have eight Oscars on the mantle.

by Anonymousreply 106November 21, 2021 4:47 PM

To be fair, the Coen Brothers are some of the most critically acclaimed and just plain skilled modern directors. Very few directors are on their level.

by Anonymousreply 107November 21, 2021 4:48 PM

A more interesting argument is whether her husband owes his success to her work in his projects…

by Anonymousreply 108November 21, 2021 4:48 PM

[quote] To be fair, the Coen Brothers are some of the most critically acclaimed and just plain skilled modern directors. Very few directors are on their level.

But this is also true of Frances and acting.

I think they’re two (well, three) extraordinarily talented people. And I think highly of all of them for seeing that in each other and sticking together.

by Anonymousreply 109November 21, 2021 4:51 PM

R108 - The Coen movie that won Best Picture (No Country For Old Men, fantastic film) doesn't have McDormand in it. Neither does Barton Fink (won the Palme at Cannes), The Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou?, A Serious Man, and Inside Llewyn Davis. McDormand only has a cameo in Miller's Crossing and Raising Arizona. All of these films are considered some of their best - the only movie of the Coens that owes it success to McDormand is Fargo. The other ones she has prominent roles in are seen as their lesser works.

To say he owes ANY of his success to her is kind of laughable.

by Anonymousreply 110November 21, 2021 4:52 PM

R10 Yes, talented actors should just go away. What we need is more shitty ones.

by Anonymousreply 111November 21, 2021 5:01 PM

The Best Actress winner with the stinkiest pussy.....it's a tie, between Grace Kelly and Fran McDormand!

by Anonymousreply 112November 21, 2021 5:01 PM

I don't want to see no God damed Shakespeare.

by Anonymousreply 113November 21, 2021 5:10 PM

Her Oscar for Fargo was well deserved. The other two? Meh.

by Anonymousreply 114November 21, 2021 7:01 PM

Why is she considered some incredible actress?

She’s so ugly and boring.

by Anonymousreply 115November 21, 2021 7:04 PM

[quote] She’s so ugly and boring.

That stupid rag called "Variety has to fill up its pages and vacuous Dataloungers regurgitate it here.

by Anonymousreply 116November 21, 2021 7:58 PM

Well I’ve certainly never found the woman boring.

by Anonymousreply 117November 21, 2021 8:05 PM

I've never forgiven her for stealing Emily Watson's Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 118November 21, 2021 8:05 PM

I never said she was a bad actress, in fact she's very good most of the time, but she certainly doesn't merit the level of acclaim she has.

I think it's because she's plain (not remotely ugly, and quite cute in her youth) and boring she gets all the acclaim. She's "relatable."

by Anonymousreply 119November 21, 2021 8:16 PM

Most people on earth SEEM ugly and boring. She manages to bring out the truth that “regular” people can be fascinating and complicated. That’s her trademark and why I don’t get people complaining about her looks.

by Anonymousreply 120November 21, 2021 8:40 PM

Hey OP!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121November 21, 2021 8:55 PM

Frances is famous for “hidden in plain sight” characters. And people enjoy these films because we all want to believe we are hidden in plain sight too, that our little lives are secretly fascinating (they are, as I can tell from the interesting discussions here).

Her Macbeth part is notable because it’s a departure from this mold. A Queen and a villain to boot. So I’m very very curious.

by Anonymousreply 122November 21, 2021 8:57 PM

[quote] If Frances McDormand wins any awards at next year's Oscars I hope a streaker runs across stage during her acceptance speech.

I hope Frances McDormand streaks across stage if she DOESN'T win.

by Anonymousreply 123November 21, 2021 9:11 PM

Frances should be commended for what she has accomplished after being subjected to shock treatments and her terrible incarceration in a mental hospital....no one knows better than I......what?......WHAT?......oh Frances McDormand.....

Oh.....never mind.....

by Anonymousreply 124November 21, 2021 10:56 PM

R115 Because she's a great actress. And what do her looks have to do with her being a good (or a bad) actress, you dumbass?

by Anonymousreply 125November 22, 2021 8:12 AM

Frances is a good looking woman when she's done up

by Anonymousreply 126November 22, 2021 8:47 AM

R125 She’s ugly and she looks like a miserable high school teacher.

“Hidden in plain sight” is one way to put it but Hollywood loves to “humanize” the simple minded Midwestern / Middle American because that’s where a lot of them come from.

“Fargo”, “North Country”, “Promise Land”, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”, “Nomadland”. You could even add “Almost Famous” too. White Middle America isn’t interesting, that’s why most of the people in Hollywood living in LA / NYC left it.

I knew “Hillbilly Elgy” was going to go nowhere because Frances didn’t grab the role. Cause she looooves these roles.

To me, her along with the Cohen Brothers, Clooney, they’re all ass kissing Oscar people that do nothing for me.

by Anonymousreply 127November 22, 2021 9:04 AM

I’ll put Frances’ bucket over my head and dance around like Ashlee Simpson if you promise me a fucking Oscar

by Anonymousreply 128November 22, 2021 9:14 AM

Funny how in 2021, a gay man thinks he can put a woman in her place by calling her “ugly”.

What a fucking moron.

by Anonymousreply 129November 22, 2021 9:45 AM

[QUOTE] To me, her along with the Cohen Brothers, Clooney, they’re all ass kissing Oscar people that do nothing for me.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 130November 22, 2021 12:23 PM

Is R127 okay? Imagine how pathetic one's life must be to rant and rave (in poor man's English) about Frances McDormand and Joel Coen.

by Anonymousreply 131November 22, 2021 1:58 PM

R127 Again, who cares if she's ugly (to you), you moron? She's a great actress. I would rather have a great actress that looks like her then 109 shitty ones that look like Amber Heard.

by Anonymousreply 132November 22, 2021 4:24 PM

Her Almost Famous performance is actually one of my favorites. She was just wonderful in that.

by Anonymousreply 133November 22, 2021 4:28 PM

Amber Heard

Did a turd

In the Marital bed

by Anonymousreply 134November 22, 2021 4:34 PM

Who is Amber Heard?

by Anonymousreply 135November 22, 2021 4:52 PM

When asked, she said Oops

Apologies for the poops

But it's clear our marriage is dead

by Anonymousreply 136November 22, 2021 4:59 PM

Amber said "I thought it was a fart!"

Turns out it was shart

All over my Egyptian linen!

by Anonymousreply 137November 22, 2021 5:11 PM

Frances McDormand looks like a woman who farts proudly and enjoys the smell of them.

by Anonymousreply 138November 22, 2021 5:13 PM

Amber said I’m sick to death being with people who just don’t give a shit

by Anonymousreply 139November 23, 2021 6:06 PM

Men who hate Frances for being ugly are resentful that she makes no effort to appeal to them in the way women are supposed to, even though they aren’t even attracted to women! There isn’t a subservient bone in her body and it pisses some men off, clearly.

by Anonymousreply 140November 23, 2021 6:45 PM

I don't think the disparagement of Frances's looks goes further than just plain cattiness, not some weird gender theory. She's perfectly fine looking. What I sort dislike is her false image - if she's so above it all, she wouldn't attend Oscar ceremonies - like Kat Hepburn did - or campaign.

I also like her as an actress. I don't love her. I think she's fabulous in supporting parts like Almost Famous and Mississippi Burning, or funny stuff like Fargo. The whole Midwestern everywoman character is tiring, but she seems to be on autopilot mode since Olive Kitteridge.

by Anonymousreply 141November 23, 2021 6:51 PM

Will she ever adapt Olive, Again? I really liked that character even though she was a "difficult" person to warm too.

by Anonymousreply 142November 23, 2021 8:49 PM

McDormand could take a tip from Olivia Colman, who knows not to take herself too seriously yet also knows when to put on a little makeup, comb her hair and truss herself up in an evening gown for the proper occasions......but most importantly, takes on an enormous range of roles for middle aged women. And please don't tell me McDormand isn't offered all kinds of roles at this stage in her 3 Oscar career.

by Anonymousreply 143November 23, 2021 9:20 PM

Well, the very part this thread is about is a huge departure from the roles people are complaining about.

by Anonymousreply 144November 23, 2021 9:38 PM

R142 Olive is also the only one of her weary everywoman performance I've actually enjoyed. Maybe she could have a parlayed an Olive anthology series instead of just a limited series, like Big Little Lies.

by Anonymousreply 145November 23, 2021 9:42 PM

I would watch or read unlimited Olive content. It hits a bit close to home—lol.

by Anonymousreply 146November 23, 2021 9:51 PM

[quote]Frances McDormand Could Make History As The First Person Nominated For Best Picture and Acting Oscars Consecutively

Right up there with curing cancer, inventing free energy for everyone and fixing the climate catastrophe to save the 90% of species set to become critically endangered within a century, huh, OP?

How nice for Frances and you.

by Anonymousreply 147November 23, 2021 9:54 PM

May I please have Ms. McDormand's tonsil stone, if they find one, please, OP?

by Anonymousreply 148November 23, 2021 9:55 PM

Can we take back her Oscar from last year and re-gift it? She sleptwalked through that role.

by Anonymousreply 149November 23, 2021 9:56 PM

R149 Well apparently she fucks for them (the Oscars)

by Anonymousreply 150November 23, 2021 9:58 PM

I am not often a fan -- too much snot, not enough energy -- but could not believe what a great bitch Viola played. No snot and LOTS of energy. Give it to her instead and call it a day.

by Anonymousreply 151November 23, 2021 10:01 PM

I have a feeling both leads will be nominated. It's SHAKESPEARE!

by Anonymousreply 152November 23, 2021 10:20 PM

Lady Macbeth is one of the - if not THE - greatest female roles of all time, stage or screen. And Frances has won two lead Oscars in the past four years, the second of which was rather unexpected.

You’d be a fool not to at least pencil her in for a nomination this year.

by Anonymousreply 153November 23, 2021 10:26 PM

[quote]Right up there with curing cancer, inventing free energy for everyone and fixing the climate catastrophe to save the 90% of species set to become critically endangered within a century, huh, OP? How nice for Frances and you.

Oh fuck off and die in a grease fire, you humorless cunt. What are you even doing here on DL if you are so above it all?

by Anonymousreply 154November 23, 2021 11:26 PM

Don't know if anyone here is aware of this, but Fran played Lady Macbeth in a stage production of the play at Berkeley Rep just before the pandemic set in; different director (Broadway's Dan Sullivan, who previously guided her to a Tony Award - yes, she's got one of those, too!) and a non-star (Conleth Hill) as Macbeth. But I thoughtful it was commendable that she took the time to immerse herself in the role in a relatively out of the way venue where she could study the play, presumably try some ideas out and create an approach to the character for the film.

Of course, I'm choosing to believe she did this in preparation for the film but, maybe, her husband saw the show and was then convinced he wanted to make the film. Either way, interesting to note.

by Anonymousreply 155November 23, 2021 11:40 PM

Very, r155! Who knew?!

by Anonymousreply 156November 24, 2021 12:04 AM

I really doubt France is offered a lot of parts, besides her husband. She is not exactly versatile or a box office star.

by Anonymousreply 157November 24, 2021 1:41 AM

And she already received meh reviews for her Lady MacBeth

by Anonymousreply 158November 24, 2021 1:45 AM

[quote] I really doubt France is offered a lot of parts, besides her husband.

You mean, other than the part she just won her last Oscar for?

by Anonymousreply 159November 24, 2021 2:02 AM

You mean the forgettable Nomadland that no one will ever watch?

by Anonymousreply 160November 24, 2021 2:11 AM

I remember when the Oscar ceremony was all about class. We need to bring back that glamour and elegance. No more of this nonchalance, wearing potato sacks and making silly faces at the camera. Frances McDormand is a BIG, BIG phony and I'm really not interested in her and you know all and dilly-dallying and carrying over how the Oscars should be run. I don't even want to DISCUSS this Lloyd-Webber thing. I was BRILLIANT in Inconceivable and it was not well SOLD in this COUNTRY you can talk about the Marlon Brando film that I was wonderful in. So I'm not interested in these NEGATIVE things that you all are putting on this show without me in them. I don't want MCDORMAND or LLOYD-WEBBER in, I'd like you to cut them OUT, and I'd like you to REALLY trim down E-VE-RY thing to do with that LA LA LAND best picture announcement flub which was ALL Beatty's fault, I'M not gonna talk about it, maybe ONE thing I'm gonna say about it and THAT'S ALL.

by Anonymousreply 161November 24, 2021 2:34 AM

I don't know if McDormand is necessarily offered a lot of roles with range but she's now in a class where she can probably raise money for just about anything she'd like to do on film or on stage.

by Anonymousreply 162November 24, 2021 3:03 AM

"Nomadland", the least seen Best Picture winner ever. Until this year if "Belfast" wins.

by Anonymousreply 163November 24, 2021 3:10 AM

Nobody wants to sit through Nomadland.

by Anonymousreply 164November 24, 2021 3:26 AM

All this talk about McDormand renewed my interest in Olive Kitteridge, which I'd never seen, so I watched it today.

I get that the performances were good, but seriously WTF? What a bunch of fucking miserable people! And Olive, I mean WOW. She was a total fucking straight up horrible bitch from beginning to end. She didn't change, she didn't evolve, she was a total cunt all the way. Did anyone honestly care about her?

And on a side note, Bill Murray actually won an Emmy for what amounted to literally about 8 minutes of screen time? WTF?

I totally did not get the warm fuzzies over this show that I'd heard so much about.

by Anonymousreply 165November 24, 2021 3:56 AM

R161 "We need to bring back that glamour and elegance" No, WE don't.

by Anonymousreply 166November 24, 2021 9:26 AM

R145 really to do Olive Kitteridge justic that series should have been longer.

by Anonymousreply 167November 24, 2021 6:06 PM

[quote]to do Olive Kitteridge justic that series should have been longer.

Why, so we could endure even more of her acting like a total bitch?

by Anonymousreply 168November 24, 2021 8:05 PM

As she did in "Friends With Money" and "Three Billboards..." and God knows how many. She was nicer in "Nomadland" but not by much.

by Anonymousreply 169November 24, 2021 8:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!