Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Advice DL fat whores

I am pressed for time this year and have to make stuffing. Is that Pepperidge Farm stuffing any good if tweaked a bit with onions and celery? I usually make from scratch but this year, no time.

by Anonymousreply 43November 25, 2021 6:32 AM

Be sure to drain your stuffing.

by Anonymousreply 1November 14, 2021 5:47 PM

Mrs. Cubbison's Traditional Stuffing. Fast, easy, delicious. Just follow the directions on the box. You won't get any complaints -unless you run out.

by Anonymousreply 2November 14, 2021 5:58 PM

[quote]I usually make from scratch but this year, no time.

I hope it's for consumers who have never had your stuffing made from scratch. If you show up with a box deal and they are expecting something made from scratch, be prepared to be on the Thanksgiving shit list for years to come. A true fat whore will NEVER forget what you did!

by Anonymousreply 3November 14, 2021 6:06 PM

I'm pretty sure I've never seen that brand down here R2.

by Anonymousreply 4November 14, 2021 6:06 PM

I grew up with it in California... You can get it easily online.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 14, 2021 6:21 PM

Hmm, I may try ordering it online. It says Walmart carries it too on Google.

by Anonymousreply 6November 14, 2021 6:25 PM

Since you're gonna be in your mother'.s basement alone again this year, OP... does it really make any fucking difference? ;¬} (Sorry, I couldn't resist.) Pepperidge Farm is great, esp. if you tidge it up. Go on! Grasp the nettle danger! Live a little!

by Anonymousreply 7November 14, 2021 6:33 PM

OP, what's in your normal stuffing recipe? If you're going to get fresh onions and celery, anyway, maybe might as well make your normal recipe.

by Anonymousreply 8November 14, 2021 6:37 PM

Fat Whore OP: Do you care more about stuffing or being stuffed?

by Anonymousreply 9November 14, 2021 6:38 PM

Raisins are good in stuffing.

by Anonymousreply 10November 14, 2021 6:39 PM

A little sweet in the stuffing is great! My mom used Mrs. Cubbison's mix and always added a small can of mandarin oranges (drained) and some dried apricots (rough chop).

by Anonymousreply 11November 14, 2021 7:02 PM

Boxed stuffing are fine if they are properly prepared. Use real butter (of course!), chicken stock, some vegetables and pancetta and everyone will love it.

by Anonymousreply 12November 14, 2021 7:06 PM

In addition to chicken stock, butter, onions, celery and butter I like to add quartered water chestnuts. It sounds crazy, I know, but it adds a special something.

by Anonymousreply 13November 14, 2021 7:15 PM

OP, are you the host, i.e., are you responsible for all or most of the Thanksgiving meal? If yes, then I can understand wanting to take a shortcut on the stuffing. If, however, your only contribution to the Thanksgiving meal is stuffing, I would not use a packaged stuffing. I'd make a homemade stuffing.

by Anonymousreply 14November 14, 2021 7:20 PM

Trader Joe’s makes a good cornbread stuffing from the box. I add chestnuts and fresh onion & celery. Butter and vegetable stock do the trick.

by Anonymousreply 15November 14, 2021 7:22 PM

In addition to the above suggestions (but not the mandarin oranges or raisins, wtf), I mix in a lb of cooked breakfast sausage. If vegetarians are attending, I make another non-meat one.

by Anonymousreply 16November 14, 2021 7:24 PM

R14, I'm bringing stuffing, cranberry sauce and the rolls and pie. It's at my brother's house and he and my SIL just got back from living in Canada so their house is still not quite set up but she will do a turkey and some sides. She's not much of a cook but she claims to be able to do that.

by Anonymousreply 17November 14, 2021 7:26 PM

[quote] She's not much of a cook but she claims to be able to do that.

Haha. I guess you'll find out.

Sorry to ask so many questions, OP. But is the pie homemade? What kind of pie is it? Are the cranberry sauce and rolls homemade?

by Anonymousreply 18November 14, 2021 7:30 PM

Pie and cranberry sauce is deaf homemade. I'll probably get some kind of frozen yeast rolls. Those frozen bread dough loaves are good too. You can make rolls with them.

by Anonymousreply 19November 14, 2021 7:35 PM

^^^sorry, "def" homemade.

by Anonymousreply 20November 14, 2021 7:36 PM

Okay, OP, since you're practically bringing over the entire Thanksgiving dinner (with homemade pie and cranberry), I think it's OK to take a shortcut on the stuffing, esp. with fresh onion and celery. You might even buy a bunch of fresh sage and put that on.

by Anonymousreply 21November 14, 2021 7:41 PM

Oh I'll dress it up. Those boxes are essentially just bread cubes and seasoning. My recipe calls for eggs but I'm assuming these boxes are just using stock.

by Anonymousreply 22November 14, 2021 7:45 PM

The only advantage of prepared stuffing mix is seasoned croutons. Buy the sourdough or cornbread early in the week and cube it and toast it. Stick it in a plastic bag. Cut the veggies and sauté them with herbed butter the day before. Combine on the day of dinner, add stock and browned sausage and you know the rest. Ina's recipe is fine.

by Anonymousreply 23November 14, 2021 7:45 PM

I recommend the cube style Mrs Cubbisons if you go that route. The other kind is very much like Stove Top in texture. The cube style retains its structural integrity better.

by Anonymousreply 24November 14, 2021 7:48 PM

Here's Ina's recipe (with sausage, apples and cranberries)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 14, 2021 7:54 PM

No one is too pressed for time to make one's dressing from scratch-lite.

That means you don't have to bake your own bread to make the breadcrumbs. But for Christ's, John Alden's and the Indians' sake, DON'T use commercial bread crumbs or bread cubes, or preseasoning of any kind.

IT TAKES NO MORE TIME. Dry the torn-up bread and let it sit overnight where the rats in your hovel won't get it, and go from there.

And DON'T use wheat bread, rye bread, pumpernickel or corn bread. The last will give the texture of sand. White bread or sourdough.

And don't use ancient herbs/spices. And DON'T make it vegan. All vegans should be obliged to fast from Thanksgiving through Orthodox Christmas/Epiphany, by which time they should all be dead and stop with their so-precious, anorexic-fat-ass, false-data, unnatural bullshit. That includes YOU, Hindus. Eat those fucking starving cows.

If you use "Pepperidge Farms" or any other of the crap people here will post, match the quality of your meal with turkey lunchmeat, canned cranberry stool and gravy from your granny's coffin.

by Anonymousreply 26November 14, 2021 8:06 PM

There's a lovely grease fire waiting for you, R26 -Please don't keep it waiting.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a boxed stuffing such as Mrs. Cubbison's or other brands. You make it with fresh celery and onions, real butter, a bit of extra poultry seasoning, and broth (vegetable or whatever). My dad always added a couple of eggs to the liquids, but he could never explain why. I still do it. I've never cared for any other add-ins to stuffing, but you add whatever you like. Just remember that if you're baking it outside the turkey, as a casserole, you should make it a little wetter so that the veggies cook before it gets dry.

by Anonymousreply 27November 14, 2021 8:26 PM

Interesting. I have R26 blocked so you are right to say die in a greasfire R27. It's a troll.

by Anonymousreply 28November 14, 2021 8:31 PM

I like the turkey livers in stuffing. That's how my mom made stuffing.

by Anonymousreply 29November 14, 2021 8:32 PM

Stuffing is as personal as sex. Perhaps more so. I've learned never to knock anyone's choices, lest mine be derided as well.

True story: my father was much more upset when I came out as a vegetarian than when he learned I was gay. "You mean you won't eat my Thanksgiving turkey and dressing??"

by Anonymousreply 30November 14, 2021 8:36 PM

That's hilarious, R30.

by Anonymousreply 31November 14, 2021 8:40 PM

Stuffing is my favorite Thanksgiving dish, and I have no issue eating a boxed version, provided it's properly prepared.

That being said: This isn't what OP asked for, but while we're on the subject, if anyone is looking for a new stuffing recipe, I HIGHLY recommend this one. I've been making it for years. The only thing I've changed is the salt measurement because I use sea salt, as opposed to kosher.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 14, 2021 8:42 PM

If you really want to fat whore it up you can do a meat stuffing and skip the bread. My grandfather, may he rest in peace, did a version of this, but we'd have it as side dish rather than in place of of the traditional stuffing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 14, 2021 8:44 PM

OP, this is the stuffing I had growing up because my mother wasn’t big on cooking. Because of that I view it as the perfect stuffing. Get very good quality components to add in (some grocery stores have local or homemade chicken stock) and it will be great.

by Anonymousreply 34November 14, 2021 8:45 PM

If you really want to fat whore it up you can do a meat stuffing and skip the bread. My grandfather, may he rest in peace, did a version of this, but we'd have it as side dish rather than in place of of the traditional stuffing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 14, 2021 8:45 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 14, 2021 8:46 PM

R33 That recipe looks good, (especially with the MSG!) and I do like your addition of water chestnuts. I add a small amount of carrot for some slight crunch.

To be honest however, the Ina Garten recipe seems odd; apples, cranberries, parsley, and Italian sausage all are fine on their own, but don't think they go best with roast Turkey. I think Sage sausage is the better choice, rather than Italian. Now if Ina were stuffing a Goose, Pheasant, or Duck, those other items might do well.

by Anonymousreply 37November 14, 2021 8:54 PM

Better choice is cod and prunes.

by Anonymousreply 38November 15, 2021 2:17 AM

I never put anything sweet in stuffing. I know some people like it, but personally, I think it ruins it. I generally add pork sausage, mushrooms, celery, onion, and crumbled bacon.

Technically, I make dressing, as I don't stuff it in a bird, but I will add drippings from the turkey to it before popping it under the broiler to crisp up on the top.

by Anonymousreply 39November 15, 2021 2:34 AM

[quote]Raisins are good in stuffing.

Whew gurl, what will white people put raisins in next?

by Anonymousreply 40November 15, 2021 2:52 AM

The only place this white people puts raisins is the trash.

by Anonymousreply 41November 16, 2021 1:41 AM

Last year there was a whole thread on stuffing and someone posted a link to a recipe for a simple basic bread stuffing (no extras like fruit, meat, raisins, etc) that they said they always make and comes out delicious and I tried it and it was . But I can't find the thread on a search, anyone know what that recipe was? Thanks

by Anonymousreply 42November 25, 2021 6:25 AM

Yes Pepperidge farm is fine. I add apple pieces, onion and wherever liquid is called for I add a sweetish wine like a Zinfandel.

I just found out where I am going tomorrow - they never make gravy!!!! WTF? I feel like canceling. So I volunteered to make the gravy.

by Anonymousreply 43November 25, 2021 6:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!