Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What happened to transvestites?

When was the last time you heard that term? When I was a kid you would hear it all the time. Or are they all drag queens now? Is everyone assuming they are transsexual/transgender etc. since those are the terms that we hear 100 times a day, now?

I say, bring back the crossdressers!

by Anonymousreply 98November 24, 2021 7:54 PM

The Transgender Red Army had them all canceled.

It is literally murderous to call yourself a transvestite now.

by Anonymousreply 1November 14, 2021 8:35 AM

There's no such thing as transvestites now.

They are PROUD TRANS WOMEN, even if they only put on their wife's panties every third Sunday in a month with a lunar eclipse.

by Anonymousreply 2November 14, 2021 8:41 AM

The idea of transvestites is threatening to trans. If transvestites are merely men pretending to be women, then what are trans women? If transvestites are not real women, then trans women aren't real women because they are men in drag. The whole trans thing falls apart once that pesky logic thing happens.

by Anonymousreply 3November 14, 2021 9:01 AM

Transvestite has an historically negative socially-inculcated connotation. "Transgender" not only has a socially-inculcated positive connotation, it's a huge financial money-spinner. However one chooses to characterize it - transvestite, "transgender", "transsexual" or "genderqueer", in the end, it's still a bloke in a frock.

by Anonymousreply 4November 14, 2021 9:19 AM

[quote]Transvestite has an historically negative socially-inculcated connotation.

How very DARE you?

by Anonymousreply 5November 14, 2021 9:26 AM

I still hear the word transvestite by older out of the loop people who still don’t know what’s going on.

But as mentioned above, cross dressers certainly contradict trans ideology. It contradicts trans people’s horrible ideological narrow minded stereotypes of gender.

Trans makes less and less sense the more it progresses. Just like pregnant trans men. They were clearly born in the right body if they want to get pregnant.

It’s all silly. I can’t wait until it’s over.

by Anonymousreply 6November 14, 2021 9:26 AM

There was a wonderful creature who lived near me. Tiny, skinny little thing. She wore 80s ra-ra skirts and flimsy dresses in all weathers. She wore little bows and ribbons in her hair, a manky blonde wig. She must have been in her seventies. I haven’t seen her for a couple of years so she may be dead.

by Anonymousreply 7November 14, 2021 9:38 AM

Not interested in the distinction.

by Anonymousreply 8November 14, 2021 9:39 AM

They’re still around, darling, huddled in one tiny corner under the Trans umbrella occupied by half of Gen Z, & half of all high school kids.

by Anonymousreply 9November 14, 2021 2:16 PM

Eddie Izzard was the last man who admitted to being a transvestite. Now after years of explaining to us the difference between transvestite and transsexual and emphasizing that he knew he was very much a man, he's done a 180 and like all the rest has decided that he's really a woman after all. Because all it takes to be a woman is makeup and a dress.

by Anonymousreply 10November 14, 2021 2:57 PM

There used to be enormous transvestite conventions in Atlanta held at what was then the Sheraton Colony Square. This was in the 2000s.

I live across the street and noticed that there were styrofoam heads on tables in all of the rooms. I realized that all the guests had wigs. And wondered what that was all about.

When coming back from the gym, I took a shortcut through the hotel. Standing at the top of the stairs, I saw a sea of men in frocks. These were NOT transgender women. They were straight men who got off on dressing like women, all rather unsuccessfully. The stench of too-much perfume wafted up as I walked down the stairs into the crowd. As I walked through the lobby, I was cognizant of the odd, sometimes hostile stares I was getting. It was only when I got outside I realized that I was wearing my Betty Bowers "Be A Man, Girl!" t-shirt.

by Anonymousreply 11November 14, 2021 3:17 PM

[quote] These were NOT transgender women. They were straight men who got off on dressing like women, all rather unsuccessfully.

That is precisely who "transgender women" are these days.

by Anonymousreply 12November 14, 2021 3:33 PM

The future is going to bring so many consequences.

For me, the next 10 - 15 years we’re going to see as many tattoo removal places as tattoo shops, we’re going to learn the dangers and consequences of butt implants, and we’re going to learn the dangers and consequences of hormone treatment.

But the thing is today, I don’t think all these trans people are actually on hormones, at least not the all the trans men. I don’t believe for one second Elliott Page is on testosterone.

by Anonymousreply 13November 14, 2021 4:15 PM

Caitlyn killed them all.

by Anonymousreply 14November 14, 2021 4:16 PM

R3 hit the nail on the transvestite's styrofoam wig head.

The idea of just throwing on a wig, a smear of lipstick and a frock and 'playing' a woman for a period of time then removing it really annoys the fuck out of The Red Transgender Army Agenda of Liberation. It's why they hate the idea of transvestites (straight men who get off on dressing up as women) and drag queens and worst of all, cross dressing in entertainment, thus their war on Tootsie and Some Like It Hot.

But, the whole thing is a confusing nonsense. One minute it's "Born This Way" but also preaching non-binary shit and being genderqueer which is all ok apparently but only if The Agenda agrees that it's ok while putting the kibosh on the shit that pisses them off (Dustin Hoffman in drag; Uncle Fred the weekend transvestite). And, god forbid you bring up Detransitioning because that really will set them off.

And, as R13 noted, we're gonna see more and more of that happening as time passes and the bloom starts to fade on the Age of Transgender Aquarius and people start to quietly go back to their birth genders (if they only just did it with personal appearance like clothes and make-up) but more messily reverting back if they did hardcore hormone treatments and surgeries.

by Anonymousreply 15November 15, 2021 6:20 AM

AND, the other huge thing that will eventually have to be acknowledged is the fact that The Transgender "Fad" is going to have to share some of the blame for Trump and Trumpism.

Gender identity politics terrified and infuriated a huge chunk of the populace, on all sides of the spectrum, everything from the Pronoun Wars to the Bathroom Brouhaha created huge rifts between people and not just with religious rednecks.

by Anonymousreply 16November 15, 2021 6:26 AM

They're ALL TRANS now!

Children, gays, lesbians, "cis" men and women of all ages...

ALL OF THEM TRANS, OR YOU'RE ALL TERFS AND I'LL HAVE YOU CANCELED!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 17November 15, 2021 6:27 AM

Self-expression and identity labels are like fashion trends, some stay and become established classics and some just go out of style.

by Anonymousreply 18November 15, 2021 8:41 AM

Remember "Adrogyny"?

by Anonymousreply 19November 15, 2021 8:58 AM

Or even "androgyny"?

by Anonymousreply 20November 15, 2021 12:36 PM

No one is trans anymore. Non-binary is currently the trend. Gays? They don't exist anymore.

by Anonymousreply 21November 15, 2021 1:11 PM

I grew up in the 1970s with a vocabulary of mostly three terms: that there were “female impersonators,” who spent their non stage time out of drag, were performers, and could be straight or guy.

“Transvestites” had a sexual disorder, included in the DSM and now known as “transvestism disorder.” This would be the Jeff Chandler story, ie sexual arousal from dressing as a woman, and was mostly heterosexual men.

Then there were the “transsexuals”who were born one sex but felt like the other…from Christine Jorgensen on. This could run the gamut from always living like a woman, to having various degrees of hormones therapies and surgical procedures. It used to be a very long road in the US to move from one sex to another.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 15, 2021 1:22 PM

R22, that’s how I remember it. And it still makes sense to me.

by Anonymousreply 23November 15, 2021 3:39 PM

The gender critical trans people I follow on twitter prefer to be called transsexual. They hatw the word transgender.

by Anonymousreply 24November 15, 2021 4:58 PM

Well since white men have decided that womanhood is completely superficial and a costume, and that men define womanhood not actual women, they've been absorbed into the trans cult. You too can be a stunning, brave, and a true and honest woman simply by tucking your cawk, slapping on badly applied make-up and a wig.

Any woman who complains gets a punch in the mouth to teach that TERF CUNT to know her place.

And gay men will support this...but won't agree trans "men" are men, especially gay men.

The inevitable backlash will be terrible..

by Anonymousreply 25November 15, 2021 5:10 PM

R23 It absolutely does still make sense to me, too. In the 1980s and 1990s, with "Torch Song Trilogy" and "Priscilla" and "To Wong Foo," and "Birdcage" and RuPaul and Chichi Larue, "female impersonator" was replaced by "drag queen" and the practice of dressing like a woman for laughs fell out of favor with straight comics/performers.

During that period, I also learned more about transexuals. Again, a whole range of people across the socioeconomic spectrum. Some were sex workers, some performed, and some were sex workers who also performed (like in "Paris is Burning" or International Chrysis, if anyone still remembers her). Some of them had hormone therapy, some had "top surgery." But the majority could not afford "bottom" surgery, or even go through the process of getting a true diagnosis.

Then, there were people who I would consider upper middle class or wealthy and had access to liberal parents with money. I knew someone in college in NYC who fully transitioned from male to female between freshman year and senior year. It had been a process since she was 14. Long and thought out with lots of milestones and shrinks and other doctors.

When I read the book of "Silence of the Lambs," long before the film was released. there was quite a bit of information about how Buffalo Bill had been rejected by Johns Hopkins and the Mayo Clinic for gender reassignment surgery because the shrinks were not convinced he had true gender dysphoria. That is when he latched onto his "vest with tits" approach. But of course he was a serial killer and a psychopath and it was a work of fiction.

I think the process mostly moves too fast today. It is important that it is understood by the public: gender dysphoria is real and it must be a terrible feeling for the person. And it is important that there is a range of treatments. But I also think this is one of the most "case-by case" conditions in all of medicine, meaning there is no cookie cutter approach—and never should be. I have read enough to understood the medical benefits of reassignment before puberty for some very rare cases. But children are very young and emotional and don't think clearly. I feel there has been a rush to normalize treatment for gender dysphoria when much more time should have been given to helping the public understand it. The reality is, it is a complex condition and sometimes people just have complex conditions and there isn't an easy solution and people have to live with the cards they have been dealt. We live in a society where people don't like being told "no." Meanwhile, telling people who don't understand the difference between "sexual orientation" and "gender identity" that they are ignorant and just have to listen to the smart people in the room is not going to help and has not not helped.

Meanwhile, "transvestite" was always so commonly misused...even going back to Rocky Horror. Sweet or not, was Frank N. Furter technically a transvestite? My own parents, who were educated and sophisticated, would frequently refer to someone like RuPaul as a "transvestite." I think this sums it up well: "Transvestic disorder is a specific paraphilic disorder in which the individual is sexually aroused by the act of cross-dressing as the opposite gender, and yet finds the act of dressing and the resulting arousal distressing." So, in a way, it's a sexual fetish that causes deep shame. I've never seen the numbers, but I would imagine most of those with transvestic disorder are heterosexual men.

by Anonymousreply 26November 15, 2021 5:53 PM

International Chrysis was a really fantastic, kind, funny, and approachable person.

I doubt she'd fit in well with the bellowing Trans Agendists today.

by Anonymousreply 27November 15, 2021 6:00 PM

Not all who cross-dress are same-sex attracted. There's those who just like to wear womens' clothes, like Ed Wood.

Expressions like "cross-dresser" and "drag queen" have not gone away.

"Transvestite" has fallen into disuse because it was always used as a pejorative, and because what's currently meant by the abbreviated term "trans" is 'transsexual,' not 'transvestite.' The two could not be more different.

by Anonymousreply 28November 15, 2021 6:40 PM

It's men dressing up in female clothes and pretending they're women. Regardless if they're a drag queen, transvestite, transsexual, trans "woman" or a crossdresser, R28.

by Anonymousreply 29November 15, 2021 6:50 PM

I thought the DSM reserved the term for heterosexual men who cross-dress and considered it some kind of harmless fetish.

by Anonymousreply 30November 15, 2021 7:04 PM

[quote]we’re going to see as many tattoo removal places as tattoo shops

I hooked up with a guy a few days ago who told me he invested in a tattoo parlour and also bought a tattoo laser removal business - plonked them next door to each other and is now making a mint.

I told him he should only employ shitty tattooists, but he said he doesn't need to.

by Anonymousreply 31November 15, 2021 7:09 PM

Where have all the trannys gone?

by Anonymousreply 32November 15, 2021 7:12 PM

In January, a Village icon died. Joseph Touchette, 96, was known to all as "Tish." In the 50s and 60s he was a top performer at many clubs . Became indignant if you said he was a drag queen .... “A drag queen is an amateur—a female impersonator is a professional."

by Anonymousreply 33November 15, 2021 7:30 PM

"Well it's better than bottling it up isn't it. He was a gentleman, Dinsdale, and what's more he knew how to treat a female impersonator."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 15, 2021 7:53 PM

Miguel Bose in Aladovar's Tacones Lejanos was a sexy transvestite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 15, 2021 9:11 PM

Sorry Almodovar

by Anonymousreply 36November 15, 2021 9:12 PM

At the late lamented Napoleon Club in Boston, there were many transvestites out for a spin in their newer finery. They weren’t drag queens as they didn’t perform. They weren’t trans as many of them were absolutely cis-males. Not all of them were gay, though they’d often be accompanied by gay men as they wouldn’t judge them. One guy even came in with his wife. They were simply cross-dressers, and probably from a time and place where women dressed up to go out in outlandish colors and big jewelry. They didn’t all end up down the street at Jacques, either.

I miss those fellas.

by Anonymousreply 37November 15, 2021 9:25 PM

TransVESTite means “cross-dresser”, literally. So it’s people who cross-dress.

TransSEXUAL means they have changed their genitals.

What the fuck ever. Be respectful of everyone. End of.

by Anonymousreply 38November 15, 2021 9:56 PM

Oh man. Transgender issue sticks in my craw something fierce. We had a vibrant culture as gay people and they hitched on and I think they retarded the cause for at least a decade or more.

by Anonymousreply 39November 15, 2021 10:14 PM

Transvestite, Transgender, what the hell! Just say Trannies.

by Anonymousreply 40November 15, 2021 10:18 PM

They're now called transexuals.

by Anonymousreply 41November 15, 2021 10:22 PM

They’re TRANNIES. Yes.

by Anonymousreply 42November 16, 2021 12:06 AM

My mother used to mispronounce it as Transestivite.

by Anonymousreply 43November 16, 2021 12:10 AM

Harry Styles is actually doing a lot of good by appearing in photoshoots wearing female clothes but still maintaining that he's cis and probably straight. Men doing this should be normalised and then you wouldn't get so many numpties chopping off their dicks and taking hormones.

by Anonymousreply 44November 16, 2021 12:24 AM

We used to have transvestites literally pouring into our country. But that all stopped once I built a wall along the Transylvanian border.

by Anonymousreply 45November 16, 2021 4:58 AM

I laughed way harder at R45 than I should have.

by Anonymousreply 46November 16, 2021 6:16 AM

R40 Straight men who like to wear their wives' panties are trannies?

by Anonymousreply 47November 16, 2021 8:59 AM

Why, they're simply lounging at home- in clothing that is comfortable and natural to them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 16, 2021 9:06 AM

Wasn't the Communist witch hunt guy from the fbi a cross dresser? The one who had notes on John Lennon..

by Anonymousreply 49November 16, 2021 9:22 AM

Hoover was his name.

by Anonymousreply 50November 16, 2021 9:23 AM

J Edgar Hoover, not Herbert.

by Anonymousreply 51November 16, 2021 9:27 AM

When you've crossdressed with Herbert and J. Edgar Hoover, everything else is a laugh.

by Anonymousreply 52November 16, 2021 3:37 PM

[quote]It's men dressing up in female clothes and pretending they're women. Regardless if they're a drag queen, transvestite, transsexual, trans "woman" or a crossdresser, R28.

R29, there's a big difference between men who simply dress in womens' clothes and those who want to 𝑏𝑒𝑐𝑜𝑚𝑒 women through body modification. They're worlds apart.

by Anonymousreply 53November 17, 2021 1:59 AM

Well, the issue is that we're in the politically correct, cancel-culture "people are who they say they are" phase of trans insanity. This means men who only dress as women are considered legally as already having "become" women just because they say so. The idea of tranvestites does not fit the woke agenda for this reason.

by Anonymousreply 54November 17, 2021 2:43 AM

I’ve started calling people ‘transvestites’ where appropriate, and ‘transsexual’ the rest of the time. ‘Transgender’ is pretty meaningless, I feel. It’s sort of ‘non-binary’-adjacent.

It goes without saying that ‘non-binary’ is COMPLETELY nonsensical and should be either ignored or ridiculed at every turn.

by Anonymousreply 55November 17, 2021 2:52 AM

[quote] This means men who only dress as women are considered legally as already having "become" women just because they say so.

R54, how can you tell whether they're only men who dress as women, are among those who've gone the whole way and had a sex change, or are at some transition point in between? Have you inspected their genitalia? Why the fuck/how the fuck does it personally concern you anyhow?

I am not personally acquainted with anyone who dresses as a woman, is transitioning, or has transitioned, and I don't care who has. It does not affect me in any way. I do, however, think they're entitled to civility and common courtesy.

[quote]The idea of tranvestites does not fit the woke agenda for this reason.

^^ Use of the expression "woke agenda" identifies you as far right.

by Anonymousreply 56November 17, 2021 11:34 AM

What happened to trasnvestites? Most of them are now calling themselves "transsexual" these days.

I would love to know the percentage of people who call themselves transsexual who have had no surgical alterations at all. I'm betting it's a shockingly high percentage. I'm very happy to call someone who has had surgical alteration on their genitals a "transsexual". But IMO if you still have male sex organs you are still a man.

by Anonymousreply 57November 17, 2021 11:47 AM

All men born men will die men.

Learn it.

by Anonymousreply 58November 17, 2021 10:12 PM

Nothing, OP...they just call themselves transsexuals now. Exact same thing.

by Anonymousreply 59November 17, 2021 10:16 PM

[quote]Eddie Izzard was the last man who admitted to being a transvestite. Now after years of explaining to us the difference between transvestite and transsexual and emphasizing that he knew he was very much a man, he's done a 180 and like all the rest has decided that he's really a woman after all. Because all it takes to be a woman is makeup and a dress.

Eddie Izzard is a man playing a woman IRL and also playing a man on a TV show. Can't get roles for women? Submitting itself for Best Supporting Whatever during awards season? Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 60November 17, 2021 10:22 PM

R59 That's BS. Not all men that like to dress in womens' clothing feel like they are women trapped in mens' bodies.

by Anonymousreply 61November 17, 2021 11:40 PM

Who really KNOWS, OP!?

by Anonymousreply 62November 18, 2021 12:12 AM

R56 Wake up and smell your bullshit. Not everyone who is liberal is onboard with the "woke agenda." These days, legally, we're told "people are who they say they are." This means no medical transition is needed for a man to call himself a woman. Genitals do not need to be altered in order for a male to declare himself a female. Most conservatives and liberals disagree with the woke agenda on this matter due to logic and science.

by Anonymousreply 63November 18, 2021 12:16 AM

They got PhDs in Philosophy and started posting on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 64November 18, 2021 12:19 AM

R63 Isn't it better to let them believe whatever they want then to encourage them to go mutilating themselves. If they wanna be a chick with dick or dude with tits is still better than cutting body parts.

by Anonymousreply 65November 18, 2021 9:42 AM

More bullshit from the huckster/loser.

by Anonymousreply 66November 18, 2021 9:46 AM

[quote]R63: Not everyone who is liberal is onboard with the "woke agenda."

Very few who are liberal would agree that there 𝑖𝑠 any such thing as "the woke agenda." The very notion is a creation of the right, rather the same way 'Antifa' is the rhetorical boogeyman created by Breitbart and Faux News.

But carrying on about it says more about the rightwingers using the expression - it's an admission that they're opposed to social justice, even the very idea of it. Just as those who decry 'Antifa' are announcing that they're fascist sympathizers.

[quote]These days, legally, we're told "people are who they say they are." This means no medical transition is needed for a man to call himself a woman. Genitals do not need to be altered in order for a male to declare himself a female.

So what? That affects you... ℎ𝑜𝑤?

[quote]Most conservatives and liberals disagree with the woke agenda on this matter due to logic and science.

Anonymous online trolls who rant about "logic and science" have no idea what either of those are.

by Anonymousreply 67November 18, 2021 10:02 AM

They drop dead trying on knock-offs at Big Gals Pay Less. You can ask my sister-in-law Angela.

by Anonymousreply 68November 18, 2021 10:08 AM

R67 "So what? That affects you... ℎ𝑜𝑤?"

You can loose your job or be targeted as an ignorant person for not calling a man-she and a woman-he.

by Anonymousreply 69November 18, 2021 12:13 PM

[quote]You can loose your job or be targeted as an ignorant person for not calling a man-she and a woman-he.

R69, you will not 𝑙𝑜𝑠𝑒 your job ("loose" is the wrong word) if you practice a little common courtesy. If you don't know how they want to be addressed, just ask them - the same way you would if they had a name you were uncertain how to pronounce. Don't telegraph the contempt you apparently feel for trans or non-binaries. Keep that shit to yourself. Be kind to them, and they will be kind to you. If you slip up and forget how they want to be addressed, apologize and ask them again. It bears repeating, kindness goes a long way.

Stop attacking them on social media, and by talking about them behind their backs. That stuff 𝑤𝑖𝑙𝑙 get back to either them, or someone to whom it matters, like your co-workers, bosses, or HR.

by Anonymousreply 70November 18, 2021 2:01 PM

They are still around! Just not so visible in the face of all the transsexualism going on. My friend is (similar but not real name) Robert and also Roberta on weekends and when he feels like it.

He does not really look like a woman (and he knows it, he's not deluded) when he is Roberta but he is beautifully groomed and elegant. He's slim with a shapely leg and so looks very nice. Wears lovely things, Chanel type suits, pencil skirts - not trashy. He has an enviable professional career, loves his mum and his granny and is just an all round nice person. I would never claim to understand why he does it but I don't honestly care. He's a good person.

by Anonymousreply 71November 18, 2021 2:19 PM

#55 has stated her boundaries, from her double-wide trailer in Indiana.

by Anonymousreply 72November 18, 2021 2:29 PM

R70 English isn't my first language. That's not common courtesy. Pretending that men is a woman is going against science, biology, truth. And I'm kind of big on those things. You want us to close our eyes and lie, pretend that we are not calling a grown man, a woman, just so we don't hurt their feelings? What about other stuff that are false and against science? What if religious people get offended if you say that evolution is a fact and that you don't believe in their god? What if their feelings get hurt? Would you lie again to make them feel good? What about flat earthers? Where does it stop? You can't just appease one delusional group and then dismiss all the others. That would be s discrimination, no?

by Anonymousreply 73November 18, 2021 2:44 PM

Actually, sweet little story from the 80's when I was a young'un. My friend's Aunty had been to South Africa to get her sex change in the 70's. So there were definitely transgenders/ transsexuals in the past.

She had a husband, she was very tall and had big hands but otherwise she was just a blousy looking, middle aged woman.

I respect her so much because when she went to get her OP there was no cuddles and ra-ra on SM, it was hardcore, it was shameful and dangerous. She had to give in her passport etc and was told if she died in the OP then they'd just get rid of her body because it was still illegal back then. But that's what she felt she needed to do and she came through it.

I'm so glad folks can get safe OPs now. But I'm also conscious that its a big big decision. And (in my opinion) not something to decide as a kid. I don't get mad about this stuff, I feel grateful it's never entered my head to do it. It's a rocky road.

by Anonymousreply 74November 18, 2021 2:51 PM

They are AGPs

by Anonymousreply 75November 18, 2021 2:55 PM

Fuck you R70. Some of us recognize science as in XX vs. XY.

by Anonymousreply 76November 18, 2021 3:46 PM

R73 absolutely murdered R70. I need to light a cigarette after reading that.

by Anonymousreply 77November 18, 2021 4:04 PM

If you think the T agenda does not affect you and your sex based legal rights you are naïve and mistaken. There will be an additional cost when the backlash against the T agenda erasing women and attempting to lower the age of consent does not just land on the T but on the whole of LGB too. And if you think it does not matter that LGB organizations have been co-opted to push primarily or exclusively a T agenda, you are insane.

by Anonymousreply 78November 18, 2021 5:19 PM

Millennial here.

It's interesting to me too. When I was young, I knew of transvestites/crossdressers and drag queens. They were actually commonly portrayed in a sympathetic light at least in the 90s and 2000s. Men who just felt more comfortable with women's clothing but were ridiculed despite not hurting anyone. Dennis Rodman was seen as a badass for wearing dresses in public and Kurt Cobain was looked on an icon too. Crossdressers never identified as women and most were heterosexual and even married. I think now the term crossdresser is seen as politically incorrect.

Drag queens were performance artists. Tyler Perry, Bugs Bunny and Robin Williams did drag. Drag queens never identify as female outside of their persona. I actually never assumed all drag queens were gay either though most are and it's tied to gay culture. I was aware of androgynous people too and also intersexed people, those who didn't fit into any box. Transgender I always took to be "trapped in the wrong body" and getting treatments and surgeries to correct that. Shows like Maury and the transgender surgery shows on Discovery Health were my earliest intro to the concept. They called it transsexual in the 2000s.

What I find odd now and very problematic. Is this conflation of crossdresser, drag queen, transgender and androgyny. I knew people who were androgynous or gender non-conforming but never would say "non-binary" or get hung up on pronouns. They just looked and acted a certain way but didn't have gender dysphoria. Many gays and lesbians have gender non-conforming qualities. Crossdressing is more along the lines of a fetish, a harmless one that many straight men indulge. Ed Wood is a famous example of a crossdresser. Drag was always about mocking gender stereotypes and could veer into misogyny at times, it is not politically correct in the slightest. To be transgender, you must have very intense gender dysphoria which none of the other categories exhibit.

by Anonymousreply 79November 20, 2021 9:04 PM

R73, apparently it is FINE to discriminate against anyone except while middle aged AGYN narcissists who want to compel all of us to engage in their fetish with them.

Who Are the Rich, White Men Institutionalizing Transgender Ideology?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80November 20, 2021 11:05 PM

Nobody thought Boy George was “stunning and brave” - he was odd, funny, interesting and made catchy pop songs.

by Anonymousreply 81November 20, 2021 11:28 PM

That's the funny thing. Androgyny is ancient and present in nearly every culture. It was even considered sacred in some. I knew androgynous people and many legitimately don't care what pronouns they are called. Most identify by their sex of birth. They just don't give a shit about gender roles and choose not to conform but don't feel the need to make it an announcement. I feel "non-binary" is more of a social construct created by bored suburban schoolkids to rebel. But it lacks any basis in who they really are as a person. Boy George, David Bowie, Prince, Mick Jagger and Grace Jones were androgynous looking and played around with gender roles. They were true sexual rebels. The corporatization of sexuality and gender really hurt a lot of progress. People treat sexual orientation and gender identity as their own personal brand and have gotten more essentialist in thinking.

by Anonymousreply 82November 20, 2021 11:40 PM

Those peschky Transhveshtitsh!

by Anonymousreply 83November 20, 2021 11:51 PM

R80, Rich White men are making a lot of money via Big Pharma pushing lifelong hormone treatments, blockers, and sex change operations.

by Anonymousreply 84November 21, 2021 12:49 AM

It's been scientifically proven that men today have less testosterone than during WW II and especially during the time period of WWI to say nothing of the frontier days.

Blame chemicals in our food and water as a major cause.

by Anonymousreply 85November 21, 2021 12:50 AM

Transvestites were mostly straight autogynephiles. They identify as transgender now. IT'S MA'AM!

by Anonymousreply 86November 21, 2021 1:03 AM

[quote]Blame chemicals in our food and water as a major cause.

CHEMICALS!!!!!

We never stop hearing from Housewife PHDs ranting this refrain, but if you can't show the science or peer reviewed evidence, please stop. I know. Diet Coke will kill us all! (rolling eyes).

The thing that turned me against the whole ridiculous and toxic gender identity movement is their slavish devotion to heteronormative gender definitions. If the "non-binaries" and "they/them" crowd ignored what "gender defining" behavior even was (created wholly by heteros), then the very definition of male and female would be varied enough to include every man and woman without tempting them to default to the "trans" "non-binary" and "they/them" pronouns foolishness.

ALL the trannies are swallowing heteronormative BILGE as their guiding force. On top of that it's just RIDICULOUS and NOBODY is "trapped in the wrong body". Preposterous nonsense!

by Anonymousreply 87November 21, 2021 1:57 AM

What ever happened to Fay Wray?

by Anonymousreply 88November 21, 2021 2:13 AM

Hear, hear R87! Agree with every word you wrote.

by Anonymousreply 89November 21, 2021 3:30 AM

She ended up here R88

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90November 21, 2021 3:52 AM

[quote]What ever happened to Fay Wray?

She moved to NYC and lived happily in the West Village for years.

by Anonymousreply 91November 21, 2021 7:37 PM

[quote] Eddie Izzard

1. helped the Labour Party lose the election

2. walked the streets of a Scottish in lipstick and pink beret and was almost lynched by the crowd.

by Anonymousreply 92November 22, 2021 9:02 PM

[R92] What did Izzard say that cost Labour the election? Is Scotland so backwards that a man wearing lipstick sends random strangers into fits of violence?

Look, I no more think that Izzard is a woman than I think that a chicken is a giraffe, but I don't understand why a dude dressing like a lady should be so triggering. People are free to dress as they please and wear makeup or not. They should not be persecuted for questionable fashion choices.

by Anonymousreply 93November 23, 2021 1:47 AM

High heels and a failure to communicate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94November 23, 2021 5:10 AM

R93 In case you were not aware, Scotland is completely trans-captured. Scotland agencies do everything possible to climb the ladder of Stonewall UK's gender champions scam scheme.

[quote] The head of a rape crisis centre has said that “bigoted” victims of sexual violence seeking help from her organisation should expect to be “challenged on their prejudices”, in an apparent comment on trans rights and women-only spaces.

[quote]Mridul Wadhwa, a trans woman, was appointed chief executive of Edinburgh Rape Crisis in May, a job that was advertised as being reserved for a woman.

This lovely fake-woman believes that if female rape victims do not wish to be counseled by a bio man at the Edinburgh rape crisis center, that means that these victims are bigoted, and will have to undergo political retraining as well.

[quote] I think sexual violence happens to bigoted people as well. But if you bring unacceptable beliefs that are discriminatory in nature, we will begin to work with you on your journey of recovery from trauma.

So that’s Scotland for you.

by Anonymousreply 95November 23, 2021 3:55 PM

[quote] Scotland is completely trans-captured.

Do we have to blame that midget Sturgeon woman for this mess? The one who looks like the dead Kathleen Harrison.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96November 23, 2021 7:21 PM

Yes, although she's getting blowback, the pint-sized piranha.

[quote]There is little sign that the First Minister will relent in her determination to liberalise the laws around trans self-identification.

Ha! A distinct resemblance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97November 24, 2021 11:56 AM

Scots have gone crazy the last 20 years.

Stupid Sturgeon. Importing MUhammudans. A grotesque Parliament House.

by Anonymousreply 98November 24, 2021 7:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!