Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

France's biggest Diva since Piaf, Mireille Mathieu, is finally inching her way out of the closet.

There's no disputing she has a magnificent voice, but I always loathed her. Didn't care for her repertoire, her 'special needs' look or her laughable 'je suis croyante' interviews on French TV . We mocked her as kids.

In recent years there have been rumours that she's gay and of course it makes a bit of sense now because she's never been linked in all these decades to anyone and she's always refused to discuss her private life or her political views in interviews. Until now

In this interview with a gay TV presenter, from Le Figaro she discusses her compassion for the homeless, her support for abortion rights (!), and her support for gay rights (!). My Swiss French husbear says it's killing her, she's going to come out

I think she's been trolling us all these decades.

The interesting bit starts at 8.30.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204May 18, 2023 6:23 PM

I do hope this is true. I have always loved Mireille.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 13, 2021 9:34 PM

Oh please, she got married week after week by the press with Yves Mourousi, the gayest of all news anchors in France, the world and the Milky Way. So that'd make sense if she had been playing for the other team all along...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 13, 2021 9:52 PM

Christ, she's sold more than 122 albums. She must be loaded although I do recall she was ripped off financially a few times by various promoters/financial managers.

This is a great performance. .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 13, 2021 10:09 PM

122 million albums

by Anonymousreply 4November 13, 2021 10:14 PM

Still rockin' the bob.

by Anonymousreply 5November 13, 2021 10:51 PM

Does France have any openly gay icons? The only ones that come to my mind are old time film guys like Cocteau, Marais, Brialy.....

by Anonymousreply 6November 13, 2021 10:53 PM

Here's my fave Mireille. Le mer.

I used to flounce around and lip sync to it frequently. I was great!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 13, 2021 10:57 PM

For your information OP, she has NEVER been the biggest star after Edith Piaf. You really don't know anything about France to make such statements or you must have slept in a cave since the 80s. Even Mylene Farmer has always had more fans, more success, more albums sold than Mireille. I hate it when Americans who have never set foot in France or Europe talk nonsense like that. She had success only with old people in France in the 80s, and she sold more albums in Russia than in France.

by Anonymousreply 8November 13, 2021 11:09 PM

R6 France has many gay icons but America does not know them.

by Anonymousreply 9November 13, 2021 11:11 PM

La Mer was written by French songwriter and singer Charles Trenet (and covered by Frank Sinatra in America with "Beyond the sea").

In fact, Mireille Mathieu spent her career singing the songs of other singers. That's partly why she was never a huge star in France.

by Anonymousreply 10November 13, 2021 11:14 PM

Dalida was the biggest diva after Edith Piaf, NOT Mireille!

by Anonymousreply 11November 13, 2021 11:17 PM

She's no Marcovicci...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 13, 2021 11:18 PM

And Marcovicci is not Charles Trenet.

by Anonymousreply 13November 13, 2021 11:20 PM

[quote] La Mer was written by French songwriter and singer Charles Trenet (and covered by Frank Sinatra in America with "Beyond the sea").

Thanks, R10. I learned that some years ago and did a shallow dive into Trenet. He supposedly wrote the song while he was traveling in France on a train. Sounded like he was vacationing. But it also gave the year which was during the German occupation of France making me wonder if he was a Nazi or collaborator. Unfair I guess to make such an assumption - maybe he was part of the French Underground. I still love the song.

Now I must get my scuba gear and do more diving.

by Anonymousreply 14November 13, 2021 11:26 PM

R14 ahaha you I already like you! I love your snarky humor. But Trenet never collaborated with the nazis, these are awful rumors made up by people (including some medias) who were very envious and took revenge this way. There have been several French documentaries these last years that deny this version. I am Swiss and not only am I a borderer of France, but I also understand French perfectly. This horrible rumor haunted Trenet for the rest of his life. He kept a bitter taste of it and was never the same again.

He was a gay, extremely talented, arrogant, rich, and some people had to take him down.

by Anonymousreply 15November 13, 2021 11:35 PM

R15, thank you for the info. I never read anything about any rumors actually. It was just my nasty suspicious mind at work. That's terrible that he had to endure that.

What say you about Jean Gabin's wife? The one who got pregnant with his child within a month of meeting him and then was able to get her Nazi collaboration case dismissed.

by Anonymousreply 16November 14, 2021 12:07 AM

R9 I'm not trying to be a cunt, but could you give me a rundown on some? I'm mostly into Nouvelle Vague French movies/culture, so I'm not really aware of many singers and other figures - I know Dalida, Gainsbourg, Francoise Hardy, Charles Aznavour etc. obviously, but I feel like everyone does.

by Anonymousreply 17November 14, 2021 12:10 AM

Also, does anyone have any knowledge about the Jacques Demy/Agnes Varda marriage (on the topic of closeted gay French icons)? I've read conflicting things on it - Demy being bisexual and genuinely traditionally in love with Varda (which is doubtful as the man died of AIDS) versus a mutual bearding arrangement versus Demy figuring out he was gay later in life after marrying her. Varda herself doesn't touch on his sexuality much, which I don't really fault her for.

by Anonymousreply 18November 14, 2021 12:14 AM

et...

Genevieve

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 14, 2021 12:14 AM

Zees ees the story of a little gurrl, seerching...seerching...𝙨𝙚𝙚𝙧𝙘𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙜...

by Anonymousreply 20November 14, 2021 12:19 AM

A heavenly choir?

There's always a heavenly choir!

by Anonymousreply 21November 14, 2021 12:25 AM

Time to toss the salad!

by Anonymousreply 22November 14, 2021 12:28 AM

Qui est cette cunt?

by Anonymousreply 23November 14, 2021 12:44 AM

Denise Darcel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 14, 2021 12:58 AM

A real question: I’ve noticed that it seems only older French singers roll/trill their ‘R’ like the way she did at the clip at r3.

Whereas the younger ones don’t do that anymore. They instead do the sexy guttural/uvular ‘R’ at the back of their throats.

I’m definitely non-French speaking, so I’ll appreciate if native speakers can confirm, or debunk, my little ‘observation’.

by Anonymousreply 25November 14, 2021 1:54 AM

[quote]She had success only with old people in France in the 80s, and she sold more albums in Russia than in France.

Very popular in Germany too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 14, 2021 2:23 AM

[Quote]I hate it when Americans who have never set foot in France or Europe talk nonsense like that

You made me laugh out loud, imbecile. Never set foot in France or Europe? . I'm a Spaniard. Jaja

by Anonymousreply 27November 14, 2021 3:07 AM

Solange...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 14, 2021 3:10 AM

[Quote]Dalida was the biggest diva after Edith Piaf, NOT Mireille!

Dalida's been dead 35 years so she's not likely to perform any time soon whereas Mireille LIVES. She is most definitely France's biggest Diva. And she has world-wide recognition.

by Anonymousreply 29November 14, 2021 3:16 AM

[Quote]Even Mylene Farmer has always had more fans, more success, more albums sold than Mireille

Are you smoking weed? I hope so . I like weed, too, but Mireille has sold 5 times more albums than CANADIAN born Mylene Farmer. There is no comparison.

by Anonymousreply 30November 14, 2021 3:25 AM

You want a chanteuse? I'll give ya a chanteuse...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 14, 2021 3:29 AM

Years ago I saw a drag show in Lyon of all places in which there was a skit involving Mireille.

Imagine a drag queen dressed as Mireille coming home from work, kissing the wife, tearing off her wig, bitching that the wife has prepared pork again for dinner on a Friday no less. etc. It was hilarious and very well done

I think people have known about Mireille for a long time but the press won't go there.

by Anonymousreply 32November 14, 2021 3:37 AM

Mireille with rumored-to-be-gay host of cheesy German schlager shows, Florian Silbereisen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 14, 2021 3:38 AM

So is Hilaria Baldwin, r27.

by Anonymousreply 34November 14, 2021 3:40 AM

^^ Is she from Andalucia like me?

by Anonymousreply 35November 14, 2021 3:51 AM

R33. Florian pings to the moon and back. I like him and I have to admit to having great appreciation for this type of German musical variety shows.

by Anonymousreply 36November 14, 2021 3:56 AM

[quote]A real question: I’ve noticed that it seems only older French singers roll/trill their ‘R’ like the way she did at the clip at [R3]. Whereas the younger ones don’t do that anymore. They instead do the sexy guttural/uvular ‘R’ at the back of their throats.

To my uneducated ears, even though I'm French, the rolling 'R' used by opera singers and popular singers such as Edith Piaf, Charles Aznavour or Jacques Brel makes their songs sound old, historically dated, obsolete even though it is still a guttural 'R', only a prolonged and amplified guttural 'R'.

The only contemporary act that I can think of as rolling their Rs would be Louise Attaque, but the simple fact that they would the old R like Piaf made me ignore them and think they were Belgian because who in their right mind would sing rolling their 'R' around the 21st century?

All the other modern acts, such as Mylène Farmer or Céline Dion, use the regular guttural not prolonged and quite discreet 'R' as in "parce que" where it is not pronounced /pas kə/.

by Anonymousreply 37November 14, 2021 4:23 AM

R25. Mireille's R are part of her persona created by her Manager Johnny Stark who worked with Piaf and many other great French singers. He found Mireille when she was quite young so it was he who intended her to be the new Piaf. Piaf of course could carry an R into next week

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 14, 2021 4:24 AM

R25, the uvular fricative R gradually replaced the alveolar trilled R in Parisian French around the 18th &19th centuries and spread throughout the rest of France. However, it was slow to take root in the South, where the Occitan dialects were still widely spoken, especially among the rural folk. The popular French singers of the early 20th century were still trilling their Rs in song, however, because it sounded nicer and was easier to sing. You can easily push and hold notes from trills than from guttural sounds.

Today, the trilled R in French songs sound dated.

by Anonymousreply 39November 14, 2021 4:25 AM

[quote] "France has many gay icons but America does not know them."

I can think of at least one...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 14, 2021 4:31 AM

Dream on gays, Manu is all mine.

by Anonymousreply 41November 14, 2021 4:42 AM

And just in time for Christmas, Avignonnaise Mireille Mathieu sings a traditional cansoun de Prouvènço.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 14, 2021 4:47 AM

[quote]Does France have any openly gay icons? The only ones that come to my mind are old time film guys like Cocteau, Marais, Brialy.....

Here you go, R6, though many are historical figures and, of course, everyone knows people like Jean Paul Gaultier, Yves St. Laurent, etc. are / were gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43November 14, 2021 4:48 AM

It seems designers around the world feel free to be openly gay, but most performers hide in the closet just about everywhere.

I love the music of Juan Gabriel who was such a queen on stage, but even he claimed to be married and to have biological children which wasn't true. At least Mireille didn't go there.

IMO this is one of the most brilliant songs composed about heartache and the only song in which one recovers from the associated angoisse. Starts slow ends like a celebration.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 14, 2021 5:40 AM

^^ OP

by Anonymousreply 45November 14, 2021 5:42 AM

R9 name them.

by Anonymousreply 46November 14, 2021 5:55 AM

Nice interview chez Mireille. If she says croyante one more time I'm going to slap that wighat off her head.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 14, 2021 6:11 AM

Mireille Mathieu at her best with Patrick Duffy. She didn't speak English so this was transliterated for her just like it was in the 237 languages she sang across the years.

[quote]Iou and aïe, ouène ouir tout gezzer, hi veune ze colde offe dissembeurre, filz laïque ze mideule offe mai.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 14, 2021 6:22 AM

Dear god, how did that come to pass?

by Anonymousreply 49November 14, 2021 6:32 AM

Thank you, r37, r38 and r39 : you guys have been very informative

by Anonymousreply 50November 14, 2021 6:42 AM

Re Charles Trenet:

[Quote]In 1963, Trenet spent 28 days in prison in Aix-en-Provence. He was charged with corrupting the morals of four young men under the age of 21 (they were 19). His chauffeur claimed that Trenet was using him as a pimp. The charges were eventually dropped, but the affair brought to public light the fact that Trenet was homosexual.[9] He was never particularly public about it and spoke of it rarely.

[Quote]In his authorized biography of Maurice Chevalier, author David Bret claims that Chevalier and Mistinguett were the ones who first "shopped" Trenet to the police for consorting with underage boys, around 1940. Trenet never learned of their action.[10

So Maurice Chevalier was a right cunt? The guys weren't even minors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 14, 2021 7:03 AM

MiMa not moving an inch out of Miss Ross´ interview spotlight. Presenting her with the french version of "Home" get´s rewarded with a polite eye-roll by Diana.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 14, 2021 7:08 AM

R24. Thanks for the Denise Darcel interview. She doesn't discuss it with Skip but her career was KO'd by her relationship with Billy Eckstine. She's one of the few French performers who didn't return to France where her career probably could have improved

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 14, 2021 8:42 AM

I picture she the epitome of a very chic chanteuse...

by Anonymousreply 54November 14, 2021 9:21 AM

Here's an excellent interview with Agnes Varda in which she openly speaks about Demy and AIDS. I don't think I've ever met a 90 year old person still so vibrant and active in the Arts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 14, 2021 9:23 AM

Dalida was the real gay icon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 14, 2021 9:30 AM

Word on the street is Manu was really fucking his bodyguard Alexandre Benalla then threw him under the bus.

by Anonymousreply 57November 14, 2021 9:36 AM

Dalida wasn't gay or French. . We're trying to identify French icons who are gay.

by Anonymousreply 58November 14, 2021 9:37 AM

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned her association with Peter Alexander, parodied in the clip below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 14, 2021 9:50 AM

Dalida took French citizenship. And she was so camp she was definitely an ally.

by Anonymousreply 60November 14, 2021 9:57 AM

I wish I could recall the actor interviewed and where I read the interview, but it was a famous one and he said the public would be surprised to learn how many gays there are in French cinema.

Everybody is fucking everybody in Paris. It's always been like this so no big surprise. Maybe more will be revealed now that the Oliv ier Duhamel scandal is known but the French are good at keeping secrets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 14, 2021 10:02 AM

Hillaria is from Mallorca, r35.

by Anonymousreply 62November 14, 2021 10:04 AM

R59. LMAO. He even does an excellent moronic Mireille grin.

by Anonymousreply 63November 14, 2021 10:13 AM

Traditionally, Mireille Mathieu kicks off DataLounge's Bastille Day celebration

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64November 14, 2021 10:44 AM

Alexandre Banella smells les biscuits

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65November 14, 2021 10:49 AM

Seriously, is Mireille Mathieu "speciale"? She looks like her jumeau sucked all the nutrients out of the womb.

by Anonymousreply 66November 14, 2021 10:56 AM

R18 I can send you some links of openly gay singers in France. Here's Emmanuel Moire. A French singer openly gay. In this song he says " I make a promise to myself to finally live when my heart beats for a man". He's hot and a very nice man

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67November 14, 2021 11:03 AM

[quote]a drag queen dressed as Mireille coming home from work, kissing the wife, tearing off her wig, bitching that the wife has prepared pork again for dinner on a Friday no less. etc

Is the latter part of the joke supposed to be that fish is eaten on Friday?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 14, 2021 11:05 AM

R27 You are a Spaniard but you have the nerve to claim that Mireille Mathieu was the greatest diva of France after Edith Piaf? You are above all a good ignorant. You don't know the French people because to know them you have to know the French language and not only the French insults like "imbĂŠcile", you bitch

by Anonymousreply 69November 14, 2021 11:07 AM

R29 I tell you again, Mireille Mathieu has never been the greatest diva in France after Edith. You don't even speak French but you think you know better than the Francophones??? Dalida sold more albums than Mireille. But you don't know that, you crazy cunt. I have a French name i speak french and i'm from the Franco-Swiss area, I know better than you what I am talking about.

by Anonymousreply 70November 14, 2021 11:11 AM

R30 "Canadian born" hahaha! Mylène Farmer was born in Quebec, which means the FRENCH province of Canada, and from French parents. She grew up in France, made her career only in France and she has the French nationality. Quebecers are native of France. To date, she is the French artist who has broken all sales records. You're not a Spaniard, you're an American. Because in Europe everyone knows that, you Ignorant anus mouth !!!!

by Anonymousreply 71November 14, 2021 11:18 AM

R58 Dalida was french,; from an Italian family, you idiot

by Anonymousreply 72November 14, 2021 11:21 AM

Cool your tits, girls.

by Anonymousreply 73November 14, 2021 11:24 AM

R61 Yeah, it's so different in Hollywood, as everyone knows.... Wanna talk about Epstein?

by Anonymousreply 74November 14, 2021 11:24 AM

R65 Monica Lewinsky smells like sperm

by Anonymousreply 75November 14, 2021 11:26 AM

R56 Exactly. She also was a REAL diva in France, unlike what the ignorant OP is spreading on this thread

by Anonymousreply 76November 14, 2021 11:28 AM

Take your meds, you Swiss German cunt. Jaja. Yes, I'm Spanish and I speak French. And Italian. And a few other languages.

Dalida was Italian, born and raised in Egypt and moved to France for her career. Nobody knows Dalida better than I. I adored her.

by Anonymousreply 77November 14, 2021 11:30 AM

R77 Tu parles français mais tu ose raocnter de la merde sur Mireille Mathieu ?? Tu es sÝre qu'elle est la plus grande diva après Edith???

by Anonymousreply 78November 14, 2021 11:32 AM

I could add to little stories to that thread: even if they are not related to MM, they are tangential to what has been discussed.

1/ my brother once bumped into Dalida down the street, circa 1985: he said that even though her hair looked beautifully golden on TV, it was actually orange, very brassy and ugly (we're both gay, something in the water in les Essarts-le-Roi as pretty much all our neighbors ended being gay);

2/ I almost literally bumped into Charles Trenet's partner (Georges El Assidi)'s cock and it was HUGE: it was like 8" soft, large, heavy, not fluffed at all, fand probably over 10" hard (if he could keep it hard, which would probably would have meant no more enough blood in the brain). It was in a bath house (Univers Gym) and it was about a month after he had been featured on tv, so all the boys out there knew who he was. But when they would see his cock the boys were kind of left with bulging eyes as if they just had had a stroke. The thing is, he was so femme, so nelly, that it instantly killed my buzz. He had topped Trenet all his life and probably wanted some backdoor action for himself!

by Anonymousreply 79November 14, 2021 11:32 AM

Mireille Mathieu has sold nearly 200 million albums as of 2021. Fuck Canadian Mylene right in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 80November 14, 2021 11:34 AM

R77 I'm waiting for your answer in French. We'll see if your lyaing ass is also a french speaker now,

No, Dalida was raised in Egypt and her father worked for France and Italy in Egypt. Her parents immigrated in France. France gave her the french citizenship. You really don't know shit!

by Anonymousreply 81November 14, 2021 11:34 AM

Mireille Mathieu never sold 200 millions albums. OP is a troll

by Anonymousreply 82November 14, 2021 11:35 AM

R78. How charming your elementary French is.

by Anonymousreply 83November 14, 2021 11:37 AM

R83 J'attends ton superbe Français. I'm waiting for your superiior French. SO???

by Anonymousreply 84November 14, 2021 11:38 AM

Tu ne parles pas français, tu ne connais rien aux divas françaises. Tu es juste une mythomane OP !

by Anonymousreply 85November 14, 2021 11:38 AM

Mylène is basically the French Madonna. She has 5 albums who sold +1m.

by Anonymousreply 86November 14, 2021 11:40 AM

Oh and my French is the real basic french. Sorry for your lying ass OP. I knew from the start you were all fake. I'm done with you,

crazy bitch

by Anonymousreply 87November 14, 2021 11:41 AM

There is a big difference between tour fantasies and the reality OP. Mireille was never the greatest diva after Edith in France. Next time, try harder.

by Anonymousreply 88November 14, 2021 11:43 AM

^your fantasies

by Anonymousreply 89November 14, 2021 11:43 AM

I'm French and there's a lot of Google Translate French in this thread 😁

by Anonymousreply 90November 14, 2021 11:47 AM

Ok, expliques j'aurais traduis depuis google translation ?? Je t'ĂŠcoute le mythomane. R90

by Anonymousreply 91November 14, 2021 11:49 AM

^Expliques nous

by Anonymousreply 92November 14, 2021 11:49 AM

R90 You're not french at all. You're a troll. I'm still waiting for your french answer.

by Anonymousreply 93November 14, 2021 11:50 AM

On the DL many people should be in psychiatric hospital. OP for a starter

by Anonymousreply 94November 14, 2021 11:52 AM

R91 et R92: la moindre des choses serait de surveiller ton orthographe quand tu cherches à mettre mon français à l'Êpreuve : c'est "explique-nous" sans s à la fin du verbe pour les verbes en "er".

On peut se recentrer sur le sujet les mecs? Can we guys get back on topic now?

by Anonymousreply 95November 14, 2021 12:12 PM

R95 Oui c'est ça, quand on est francophone, on ne dit pas les verbes en er, on dit les verbes du premier groupe. Tu n'es pas français. A qui as-tu demandÊ de te traduire ces conneries ? Sinon, la moindre des choses, c'est de ne pas raconter de mensonges aussi gros que ceux que tu diffuses sur ce forum. Mireille Mathieu n'a jamais ÊtÊ la plus grande diva après Edith Piaf en France. Pourquoi tu mens ? Cela t'a pris 25 minutes pour me rÊpondre en français, fais le plus vite cette fois, que je vois jusqu'oÚ un sociopathe peut aller

R95 Yes, that's it, when you're French, you don't say "verbs in er", you say verbs of the first group. You're not French. Who did you ask to translate this crap for you? Otherwise, the least you can do is not to tell lies as big as those you spread on this thread. Mireille Mathieu was never the greatest diva after Edith Piaf in France. Why do you lie? It took you 25 minutes to answer me in French. Do it faster this time, so I can see how far a sociopath can go.

by Anonymousreply 96November 14, 2021 12:17 PM

[Quote]Over 190 million records sold, an international career and icon status: Mireille Mathieu,

OK, nearly 200 million albums. That's the last research II provide for you. And no more translating MM videos for you or telling you about the drag show in Lyon. .Some of you get quite irrational when you have to accept Mireille is the biggest French Diva since Piaf.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97November 14, 2021 12:18 PM

R97 You don't seem to understand what you yourself are saying here. You say that she is the greatest diva after Edith Piaf IN FRANCE. In your article (which is very dubious), it says "throughout the world". In France Mireille is not and has never been the greatest diva after Edith. You have a big mental problem. Go tell that to a French peroon and he will laugh in your sociopath face.

by Anonymousreply 98November 14, 2021 12:22 PM

R97 I can tell you've never put your lying feet up in France. Don't speak for the French people or the French-speaking people. The biggest diva after Edith Piaf in France, in terms of sales, is Celine Dion. We are talking about divas. Mylène Farmer sells 10 times more albums than Mireille in France, and Mylene is a real diva in France. And a French gay icon.

by Anonymousreply 99November 14, 2021 12:25 PM

r98 No, I am saying she is French. She's the greatest French Diva since Piaf. Like Rocio Jurado was the greatest Spanish Diva. And that includes international sales and tours.

by Anonymousreply 100November 14, 2021 12:27 PM

Oh I forgot to say Lara Fabian is also a real diva in France. Nobody listens to Mireille Mathieu. Not in Paris, not in Cannes, not in Lyon, not in Bordeaux, not on the Mont Saint-Michel!

by Anonymousreply 101November 14, 2021 12:28 PM

R100 Yes and you are telling CRAPS. SHE'S NOT AND NEVER WAS the biggest or greatest diva in FRANCE. Ignorant stupid sociopath. Rocio Jurado who??? Jesus, you're crazy

by Anonymousreply 102November 14, 2021 12:30 PM

CĂŠline Dion is laughing at your ignorance OP. After Edith SHE is the greatest diva IN FRANCE.

by Anonymousreply 103November 14, 2021 12:32 PM

Yes, I see now that you realize you are incorrect. Call others crazy when they have proved you to be so.

If you don't know who Rocio Jurado was you are not familiar with European Divas. But now at least you are aware that Mireille Mathieu is the greatest French Diva since Piaf in terms of record sales and international recognition

Celine Dion is nit FRENCH!

by Anonymousreply 104November 14, 2021 12:36 PM

CĂŠline Dion is from Quebec. A French-Canadian whose greatest hits were written by French songwriters such as Jean Jacques Goldman. She is the biggest female sellers in Francophonie. And in France! You have not proven anything. You know NOTHING about France and French divas. On the contrary, you are only proving your huge well of ignorance about France. I can bet no one have never heard of your Rocio Jurado in Europe. Just like everyone knows in Europe that Mireille Mathieu NEVER WAS the greatest diva after Edith. Keep talking, you are pathetic and ridiculous OP R104

by Anonymousreply 105November 14, 2021 12:41 PM

Still not French. Even Celine Dion would never call herself French. She's Canadian. She's represented Switzerland at Eurovision. Would you like to call her Swiss, as eell?

by Anonymousreply 106November 14, 2021 12:45 PM

R106 LOL A French Canadian considers herself French firt. That's why QuÊbec exists. Jeez... You really don't know nothing on French culture. Stop embarrasing yourself! You can tape "chanteuses prÊfÊrÊes en France" or "les meilleures chanteuses françaises" who appears first, on Google, you idiot? CÊline Dion and Mylene farmer then Angèle. Now STFU OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107November 14, 2021 12:47 PM

I lived, studied and worked in France for several years, I speak fluent French and still do daily for my job, and I’ve never heard of this woman.

by Anonymousreply 108November 14, 2021 12:49 PM

According to this link "Favorite French singers in France in 2020" 1. Céline Dion (17%) 2. Angèle (14%) 3. Mylène farmer (12%) 4.Zazie 5. Véronique Sanson 6. Christine and the Queens 7. Cœur de Pirate 8. Zaz 9. Françoise Hardy 10. Catherine Ringer 11. Patricia Kaas 12. Clara Luciani 13. Vitaa 14. Louane 15. Lara Fabian 16. Nolwenn Leroy 17. Vanessa Paradis 18. Olivia Ruiz 19. Aya Nakamura 20. Hélène Ségara 21. Amel Bent 22. Jenifer 23. Tina Arena 24. Jeanne Mas 25. Shy’m

OP, just shut the fuck up

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109November 14, 2021 12:53 PM

Celine Dion is not French (over and over....). She's Canadian.

She's not Swiss either.

by Anonymousreply 110November 14, 2021 12:57 PM

R110 QuÊbÊcois never say "I am a Canadian". They say "I am a French Canadian". and in French they Je suis une française du Canada ou je suis QuÊbÊcoise. They NEVER say "im a Canadian".

I feel for you OP, you are so pathetic! You don't even know why QuĂŠbĂŠcois are separated from Canada. Also the two offiial languages in Canada is French and English because French people were in Canada centuries before the British. I'm tired of educating you OP.

by Anonymousreply 111November 14, 2021 1:01 PM

R110 Mireille Mathieu is not on the list, because no one listen to her anymore except the very very old people. Like 70 or 80 years old people. Mireille never was their favorite singer in France whether you like it or not.

by Anonymousreply 112November 14, 2021 1:04 PM

R111 My Swiss husband is Swiss French. He's still Swiss just like Celine is Canadian. That's the passport she holds in her hands.

Whereas Mireille Mathieu is French. She carries a French passport in her tiny hands.

by Anonymousreply 113November 14, 2021 1:06 PM

R113 Can you stop making a fool of yourself? QuĂŠbĂŠcois have a Quebec passport. They have their own Prime Minister who is not Justin Trudeau!! It's crazy how stupid you are !!! Stop lying, your husband is not Swiss and you are not french either. You are a pathological LIAR. and a TROLL.

by Anonymousreply 114November 14, 2021 1:09 PM

And we say Franco-Suisse. Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 115November 14, 2021 1:10 PM

Honestly, I don't understand why a few of you cannot grasp the difference between being French and having the largest record sales of any French Diva

and

Being the most popular female singer IN France.

They are two different things

For a French Diva she has the most record sales in total.

What an inane thread. And now my husband's citizenship is questioned. Jaja. Are you just trolling for fun? LMAO

by Anonymousreply 116November 14, 2021 1:17 PM

R116 Sad to read such a denial. Mireille Mathieu does not sell anything in France and has never been a diva in her own country. You can keep to hold on to your fantasies, but they won't become real. Go see a doctor, you really need one. CĂŠline Dion is the biggest selling artist in France and the favorite diva of the French people after Edith Piaf. End of discussion with you, I am not a psychiatrist I can't do anything for your mental illness. Bye.

by Anonymousreply 117November 14, 2021 1:21 PM

R109, Angèle is Belgian.

by Anonymousreply 118November 14, 2021 1:23 PM

BACK to the topic of French celebrity closet cases, this old interview from Catherine Deneuve mostly about homosexuality in France is interesting. This part struck me the most.

"You must not realize that in France, most of the actors are homosexual. In England, many are, and the same in the States ; but in most European countries it is a vast majority. Acting is a very unrespected profession in France, still. So being an actress, I can't help becoming friends with those men... it is not difficult, since they usually make good friends. But sometimes actresses have to worry about falling in love with bisexuals. It can be a problem, because some develop and attachment to a man who is more interested in men but wants to use her as... une barbe, how do you say, a beard... especially if the actress is popular."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119November 14, 2021 1:24 PM

R118 Franco-Belgian. Her mom is French she has the French citizenship since she was born. I told you STFU. You don't know France at all and you're too old.

by Anonymousreply 120November 14, 2021 1:26 PM

R120. Just so you are aware r118 is not OP.

by Anonymousreply 121November 14, 2021 1:30 PM

Que la paix soit sur le monde et pour les cent mille ans qui viennent. Donnez-nous milles colombes…

by Anonymousreply 122November 14, 2021 1:38 PM

I'm laughing at how much acrimony Mireille Mathieu can elicit.

by Anonymousreply 123November 14, 2021 1:41 PM

I'm laughing my ass off as well.

by Anonymousreply 124November 14, 2021 1:46 PM

Lesley Jayne is the biggest diva in France after Piaf.

by Anonymousreply 125November 14, 2021 1:47 PM

R120, I follow Angèle on Instagram and in her stories she's always going on about being Belgian, even when she's in France. Her full name is Angèle Van Laeken.

Angèle's mother is Laurence Bibot, who is Belgian and was born in Brussels.

Here's the video for Angèle's latest single, "Bruxelles je t'aime", where she sings about how much she loves and misses her city of Brussels and her country of Belgium and thinks of them when she's in France.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126November 14, 2021 2:09 PM

Here she is with Dusty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127November 14, 2021 2:48 PM

Putin is a fan and dragged al-Gaddafi to a MiMa concert as part of his state visit to Russia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128November 14, 2021 3:09 PM

Ooh-la-la...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129November 14, 2021 3:26 PM

Frankly, I'm more interested in OP's Swiss-French husbear. Got pics?

by Anonymousreply 130November 14, 2021 3:26 PM

I find it hard to believe Catherine Deneuve's statement that most of the actors in France are gay or bi. Surely that's an exaggeration or she's just plain wrong. Why would there be such a stigma for straight men to go into acting?

by Anonymousreply 131November 14, 2021 5:29 PM

[quote]QuĂŠbĂŠcois have a Quebec passport. They have their own Prime Minister who is not Justin Trudeau!!

This is quite false.

by Anonymousreply 132November 14, 2021 6:16 PM

Could it be that Mireille Mathieu is like Nana Mouskouri, who was massively popular in the 1960s and 1970s but had already been relegated to the Nostalgia Act category by the mid 1980s? I don't know about France, but she is known in the rest of Europe even among the oldest millennials (people born around 1981/1985), even if she is not considered a great diva. Rather, she is seen as a very old-fashioned melodic singer and nobody would readily admit to listening to her songs - again, just like Nana Mouskouri.

Russia seems to be enamoured with these old glories - Engelbert Humperdinck and Spanish singer Raphael also seem to be popular there, while Humperdinck is seen as a musical dinosaur in the UK and in Spain, Raphael remains a celebrity among the older generation.

Finally, is there any need to be so cunty about Mireille Mathieu's status? It was amusing the first two or three deranged exchanges, but this has gotten very old. Let's just accept the fact that she was popular at some point in the past, and leave it at that. Nobody is going to win anything by disproving everoby else's arguments.

As for Mylène Farmer, I must admit that she does fascinate me. Her music isn't what I would call commercial most of the time, her voice is small and airy and her lyrics ridiculously pretentious (and often, very complex), but she seems to be a huge star. That is unusual, as most countries tend to favour easy and catchy above everything else. I'd like someone to explaint to me what the French find to appealing about her very unique brand of pop, which is unlike what most other pop/dance "divas" do.

by Anonymousreply 133November 14, 2021 8:19 PM

r133

Nana Mouskouri is a spot-on comparison (though I think Mouskouri is a bit "cooler" because of her jazz albums). Both were mainstays of my childhood watching German TV variety shows with my grandma; and Mouskouri has also sold a gazillion records (recording in various languages), which always comes as a bit of a surprise.

[quote] nobody would readily admit to listening to her songs

There's actually a very funny song by the Berlin singer-songwriter Funny Van Dannen on this very subject, called "Nana Mouskouri Concert". Give it a listen if you understand German:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134November 14, 2021 10:27 PM

What kind of name is Mylene Farmer? She sounds like she runs bingo night at the church basement in Burlington, Iowa.

And do the French pronounce it FarmÊ or Farmère?

by Anonymousreply 135November 15, 2021 12:59 AM

Mireille, Nana and Vicky Leandros walk into a bar...

by Anonymousreply 136November 15, 2021 2:08 AM

Ma chatte pue.

by Anonymousreply 137November 15, 2021 2:30 AM

R135, Mylène Farmer [milɛn faʁmœʁ]

by Anonymousreply 138November 15, 2021 5:37 AM

She always sounds softer in French

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139November 15, 2021 5:39 AM

I was in Slovakia a couple of years ago, and there were posters everywhere advertising Mireille’s forthcoming concert. She is still hugely popular in Central and Eastern Europe.

by Anonymousreply 140November 15, 2021 6:25 AM

R132 I’m beginning to think this thread has awakened the French version of Q.

by Anonymousreply 141November 15, 2021 6:33 AM

[quote]What kind of name is Mylene Farmer? She sounds like she runs bingo night at the church basement in Burlington, Iowa.

The French love some very trashy English names. Check the popularity of Kevin in France.

by Anonymousreply 142November 15, 2021 6:47 AM

[quote]What kind of name is Mylene Farmer?

A stage name. Her surname at birth was Gautier.

by Anonymousreply 143November 15, 2021 7:42 AM

[quote]A real question: I’ve noticed that it seems only older French singers roll/trill their ‘R’ like the way she did at the clip at [R3].

[quote]Whereas the younger ones don’t do that anymore. They instead do the sexy guttural/uvular ‘R’ at the back of their throats.

[quote]I’m definitely non-French speaking, so I’ll appreciate if native speakers can confirm, or debunk, my little ‘observation’.

R25 old recordings of politicians/public figures/clergy also favor that style of pronunciation. To a certain extent it's easier to pronounce loudly and came across more clearly on older technology such as radio or early film with optical soundtrack. And it's not exclusively French, the "Round tones" vocal coach scene in Singin' in the Rain is a perfect example of the same type of trilling pronunciation popular in those days.

by Anonymousreply 144November 15, 2021 8:01 AM

The point of this thread is to bring to light that Mireille Mathieu one of France's National Treasures who has portrayed herself for decades as hyoer Catholic , like a school's Mother Superior, is in fact pro abortion and pro gay and probably gay herself.

I think she pulled off the biggest, most fantastic fake persona trolling of this lifetime. It's all performance art.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145November 18, 2021 10:33 PM

Mireille returned to French TV this week, performing and interviewed by Michel Drucker

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146December 8, 2022 1:57 AM

R10

And Bobby Darin…

by Anonymousreply 147December 8, 2022 2:00 AM

Isn’t Lara Fabian also Canadian?

by Anonymousreply 148December 8, 2022 2:08 AM

Alouette

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149December 8, 2022 2:08 AM

OP, have you seen, "Hotel du Temps" episode on Dalida? They deep fake her (as well as some other people in her life) and it's uncanny:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150December 8, 2022 2:25 AM

[quote]What kind of name is Mylene Farmer? She sounds like she runs bingo night at the church basement in Burlington, Iowa.

Mih-LENN, not My-LEEN

by Anonymousreply 151December 8, 2022 2:39 AM

I just stumbled across this thread after taking a hit of weed--this is one of DL's best deranged Eldergay bitchfests. I don't know who Mireille Mathieu is, but I sure definitely admire her now!

by Anonymousreply 152December 8, 2022 3:42 AM

R150 that Dalida deep fake is crazy!

by Anonymousreply 153December 8, 2022 1:28 PM

Together We’re Wrong

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154December 9, 2022 11:04 AM

Bloody hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 155December 10, 2022 3:43 AM

Mireille would have been great on Dallas as some pissy French wife of a rival baron.

by Anonymousreply 156December 10, 2022 3:46 AM

I'm 53 and when I was a kid in the mid-70's, she was already an established name in France and Europe. Isn't she, like, 80? And inching her way out of the closet?

On a tangential note: Mylene Farmer is a goddess.

by Anonymousreply 157December 10, 2022 3:51 AM

Mireille has probably shrunk to about 4'8" by now.

by Anonymousreply 158December 10, 2022 5:21 PM

Mylène Farmer (nÊe Mylène Gautier) changed her name to Farmer because she was fascinated with actress Frances Farmer whose Hollywood and Broadway career ended up with the actress being institutionalized against her will for years where she was administered whatever treatment was in vogue in those years. Mostly electroconvulsive and insulin shock therapies. You have to understand that Mylène Farmer is quite a dark person and that's something that always attracted me a lot, because who else would make a career out of singing that we were born to die, death, nevrosis, psychosis, suicide, and so on? No one. Just look at the end of the video below, if you think Mylène has a sunny personality!

Now back on topic, the biggest diva in France right this week is... Mariah Carey. All I Want for Christmas is You is number 2 in France's Hot 100 this week, like pretty any week of December since maybe almost a decade. Yes Mylène is also number 2 in the albums chart, but Mylène's album will be nowhere to be found next year in December. And the year after. And the year after. Whereas Mariah...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159December 15, 2022 1:33 PM

I will be visiting Paris next summer to see Mylène at the Stade de France on July 1st! Been a fan since 2001 and will be my first time seeing her.

by Anonymousreply 160December 15, 2022 3:50 PM

I first became aware of Mylene through MTV Europe in 1991 when they put "Desenchantee" and "Je t'aime melancolie" on heavy rotation, which turned me into an instant fan. As most young gaylings in the early 90's, I was into Madonna but this was the next level in terms of blending great dance pop with artistic videos, sexual and gender provocation. And the lyrics were great. She was basically a hybrid of Madonna and Pet Shop Boys, filtered through very French/European artsy sensibility.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161December 15, 2022 11:07 PM

Poor Mireille has had to tie herself up in knots over the decades to explain why she never married or had children.

The closet is so painful and demoralizing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162December 16, 2022 12:15 AM

R1, she looks good in this video

by Anonymousreply 163December 16, 2022 12:53 AM

What a legend.

by Anonymousreply 164April 19, 2023 4:27 AM

Je sais depuis 1986, que Mireille est (très discrètement) lesbienne.

Mon mari chéri (chauffeur de Brialy quand il était étudiant) me l’avait dit.

by Anonymousreply 165April 20, 2023 11:44 AM

Je sais depuis 1986, que Mireille est (très discrètement) lesbienne.

Mon mari chéri (chauffeur de Brialy quand il était étudiant) me l’avait dit.

by Anonymousreply 166April 20, 2023 11:44 AM

As others mentioned upthread, the premiere diva in France after Piaf is not Mireille, but Dalida

by Anonymousreply 167April 20, 2023 1:04 PM

R167

Pour la variĂŠtĂŠ, absolument.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168April 20, 2023 1:44 PM

[Quote]As others mentioned upthread, the premiere diva in France after Piaf is not Mireille, but Dalida

Dali may be your fave as she was mine but in terms of record sales it's Mirelle. By far.

by Anonymousreply 169April 20, 2023 2:41 PM

Mireille is known world wide. She's had some fantastic management to take her to such heights.

by Anonymousreply 170April 20, 2023 2:56 PM

Tout ce que je sais sur Mireille:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171April 20, 2023 3:27 PM

She's kept the flame alive all these decades for the Romulan haircut.

by Anonymousreply 172April 20, 2023 3:35 PM

Les petits femmes de Paris

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173April 20, 2023 3:41 PM

Alouette

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174April 20, 2023 3:41 PM

R169

Exact.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175April 20, 2023 3:49 PM

Not bad considering she’s been dead for over 35 years and the others have continued releasing music

by Anonymousreply 176April 20, 2023 5:02 PM

The list at r175 makes some sense …. But Sheila at #1? A little skeptical of that one

by Anonymousreply 177April 20, 2023 7:33 PM

The ranking is BS because they equate single sales and album sales. Album sales are much more important than single sales. If you rank by album then the new ranking is as follows. And just like that Sheila goes from being No. 1 to being No.9. As a French, the ranking below makes much more sense than the one offered by Infodisc.

Celine Dion 17,758,600

Mylene Farmer 12,174,500

Nana Mouskouri 10,822,700

Madonna 10,461,200

France Gall 9,326,900

Mireille Mathieu 8,193,400

Patricia Kaas 7,545,200

Sylvie Vartan 6,174,300

Sheila 5,989,300

Dalida 4 520,200

by Anonymousreply 178April 21, 2023 5:20 PM

But Sheila, Vartan and Dalida started out when more people probably bought 45s than whole albums. It makes more sense that their singles sales are higher and why people like Mylene and Celine have higher Album sales.

by Anonymousreply 179April 21, 2023 5:39 PM

Well, whattaya know. I’m not the biggest Mireille fan (I’m a Dalida guy) but I am down to make the 80 minute flight from Boston to Montreal to see Mireille in February 2024. Her first Canadian shows in 35 years apparently. She’s a living legend and could spend a few days in Montreal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180April 21, 2023 5:43 PM

Bump! More wild fights about French Divas!

by Anonymousreply 181May 9, 2023 1:43 AM

OP here. The Guiness World Book of Records ranks the greatest female vocalists in history per record sales as:

1. Madonna 350 + M

2. Nana Mouskouri 300 + M

3. Mireille Mathieu. 250 + M

So indeed Mireille Mathieu is France's greatest Diva.

Now accepting apologies from the many cunts in this thread. Mylene Farmer Troll, you can go first followed by the asshole who believes French Canadians worship some other god than Trudeau.

by Anonymousreply 182May 9, 2023 2:37 AM

Not much to say now, eh trollinas?.

by Anonymousreply 183May 10, 2023 5:23 AM

Now we want the OUT OF THE CLOSET part of MM.

Who is the lucky woman?

by Anonymousreply 184May 10, 2023 8:58 AM

Quite large tits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185May 10, 2023 10:52 AM

I think she should hook up with Toni Tennille. I can picture them at the altar: Toni in white and a blonde bob and Mireille in black and a brunette bob.

by Anonymousreply 186May 10, 2023 11:04 AM

(quote] France's biggest Diva since Piaf, Mireille Mathieu, is finally inching her way out of the closet.

France's biggest diva since Piaf and Mathieu ? Is Macron coming out ?

by Anonymousreply 187May 10, 2023 11:05 AM

[Quote]Je sais depuis 1986, que Mireille est (très discrètement) lesbienne.

[Quote]Mon mari chéri (chauffeur de Brialy quand il était étudiant) me l’avait dit.

What more did your husbear tell you about Mireille? Did he meet her gf?

by Anonymousreply 188May 10, 2023 1:55 PM

Et Linda? Any of the French gays on this thread ever see her autobiographical musical La Valise en Carton?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189May 10, 2023 4:12 PM

Linda's bio TV series is available on Youtube. That was a rough life with a tragic end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190May 11, 2023 1:34 AM

I grew up in Germany, she was super popular there.

by Anonymousreply 191May 11, 2023 1:37 AM

Linda de Souza sold more than 20 million albums during her career plus her autobio was a best seller. Not bad. But her manager and even her last girlfriend wiped her out financilly. She was mentally ill and a pill and booze addict. She died alone and flat busted. Covid got her.

by Anonymousreply 192May 11, 2023 2:11 AM

R192 She was a lesbian?!

by Anonymousreply 193May 11, 2023 11:13 AM

Linda de Suza was the butt of a joke in the 90s-ish because she wouldn't shave her armpits. My parents have a corkscrew like the one below and I always called it the Linda de Suza.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194May 12, 2023 12:23 AM

[Quote]You are a Spaniard but you have the nerve to claim that Mireille Mathieu was the greatest diva of France after Edith Piaf? You are above all a good ignorant.

I'm very much enjoying reviewing this thread. Jaja

Look at the numbers, bitch.

How quiet the cunts are now. At least now you know the truth.

by Anonymousreply 195May 14, 2023 6:10 PM

Somewhere in the late 60s a gossip journalist overheard Mireille arguing with her possessive manager. She was overheard yelling at him: “I’ll sleep with whomever I want to!”

by Anonymousreply 196May 15, 2023 2:47 PM

Saucy Mireille. I wonder if she hit on Dalida.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197May 17, 2023 9:49 AM

No love for Michele Torr on this thread? I'd like to see her perform in a night club.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198May 17, 2023 10:28 AM

R198, love that song by Michèle!

by Anonymousreply 199May 17, 2023 11:29 AM

Dalida was ahead of her time with her outspoken support for the gays

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200May 17, 2023 11:32 AM

DALI! DALI! DALI! DALI! DALI!

by Anonymousreply 201May 17, 2023 7:17 PM

That’s right baby

by Anonymousreply 202May 17, 2023 10:16 PM

R188

Only that Husbear thought that the person was her sister, but she was not.

She must have been looking a bit like Mireille, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 203May 18, 2023 6:04 PM

Thank you. There have been rumours that Mireille was with Johnny Stark's assistant Nadine for years but I don't know how much truth there is to this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204May 18, 2023 6:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!