Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Andrew Garfield Spent A Year Learning To Sing

So did the lessons pay off? As he plays the late playwright Jonathan Larson (Rent). Should they have dubbed his voice?

Vote below then discuss -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 24, 2021 4:59 PM

Difficult to say. He sounds quite pitchy. Then the real singer steps in to fill it all over.

by Anonymousreply 1November 13, 2021 1:37 AM

Oh, please. He is a graduate of the Central School of Speech and Drama. He's had more vocal instruction than any of you here can imagine. And that is before studying with a coach to get ready for this movie.

He's 38 years old and already been a professional actor for a long time. If singing was his strong suit, we would already know. He is what they call in the business and actor who sings, not a singer who acts.

by Anonymousreply 2November 13, 2021 1:42 AM

[quote] He's had more vocal instruction than any of you here can imagine

Then explain why Rex Harrison couldn't sing

by Anonymousreply 3November 13, 2021 1:47 AM

He seems to do alot of shouting. Maybe I'm in the minority but I hated RENT. And I've seen several versions including the original.

by Anonymousreply 4November 13, 2021 1:47 AM

Vocal instruction includes speech, R3. You know, for Shakespeare. And it is closely related to singing. Vocal training only makes the most of a person's capabilities. It does not create a singing voice where there isn't one.

by Anonymousreply 5November 13, 2021 1:50 AM

[quote] It does not create a singing voice where there isn't one.

So argument could be made that Andrew Garfield didn't have a singing voice, yet worked hard in a year to create one,

by Anonymousreply 6November 13, 2021 1:52 AM

Did Jonathan Larson have a "singing voice"?

by Anonymousreply 7November 13, 2021 1:53 AM

Its pretty obvious he doesn't have one if he needs backup singer 30 seconds into the song.

by Anonymousreply 8November 13, 2021 1:53 AM

[quote] Did Jonathan Larson have a "singing voice"?

Judge for yourself

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 13, 2021 1:56 AM

They're both terrible. So Andrew is accurate.

by Anonymousreply 10November 13, 2021 1:59 AM

He's playing a composer, not a Broadway belter. He's fantastic in the role. Rex Harrison, a non-singer, won an Oscar for My Fair Lady, and Andrew Garfield will win for Tick Tick Boom.

by Anonymousreply 11November 13, 2021 3:09 AM

He could play young Lindsey Buckingham with that hair.

by Anonymousreply 12November 13, 2021 3:21 AM

No worse than squeak voice snitch Anthony Rapp.

by Anonymousreply 13November 13, 2021 3:38 AM

Sounds a bit flat.

But that’s a horrible song with notes that would strain anyone.

by Anonymousreply 14November 13, 2021 5:35 AM

Gratingly straight tone. If it took him a year to learn that vocal technique, he should demand his money back. It's not a good technique.

And his hair cut sucks, too. The hair and the mugging he's doing in that song reminds me waaaaay too much of Larry Fine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 13, 2021 2:23 PM

Saw him recently on James Corden show along with Jamie Dornan. They said they were roommates in Hollywood along with Eddie Redmayne when they first arrived there looking for acting jobs. Andrew was all over Jamie like they were lovers.

by Anonymousreply 16November 14, 2021 1:55 PM

He was very charming in the part and pulled off the singing (not so much the dancing) but the film overall was kind of a mess. The second half really dragged, the romantic subplot just wasn’t compelling, and there was random unnecessary CGI. I went into this ill-informed and thought the plot would be about the writing of RENT and his death.

by Anonymousreply 17November 20, 2021 1:04 AM

Was Jonathan gay?

by Anonymousreply 18November 20, 2021 1:19 AM

[quote] Was Jonathan gay?

NO

by Anonymousreply 19November 20, 2021 1:19 AM

There are surprisingly few DL threads about Jonathan / Rent. Did anyone know him or the early cast?

by Anonymousreply 20November 20, 2021 1:30 AM

He needs to play the bittersweet life of Anthony Perkins.

by Anonymousreply 21November 20, 2021 1:30 AM

He’s never looked like a hunk to me before this part. The wardrobe/hair suited him.

by Anonymousreply 22November 20, 2021 1:31 AM

Are they still trying to make him happen?

by Anonymousreply 23November 20, 2021 6:38 AM

R11 he ain't winning! No how, no way!

by Anonymousreply 24November 20, 2021 6:45 AM

I don't like the music. He developed his voice I guess, not sure if he can bring some meaning to a song. If you can do that you're a singer.

by Anonymousreply 25November 20, 2021 7:57 AM

Made it five minutes, turned it off the minute I saw the insufferable Rapp. He just reeks Wanker.

by Anonymousreply 26November 24, 2021 4:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!