Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Toni Collette deserved an Oscar for Muriel's Wedding

(Rachel Griffiths too.)

This scene alone is worth it. Toni's shear depression at the beginning, her awkwardness as the song starts, her hesitancy about doing it then her getting into it and enjoying it and then her hysterical squeals when they win.

She's fantastic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 26, 2021 12:09 PM

Toni looked good as a blonde.

by Anonymousreply 1November 12, 2021 5:23 AM

Toni Collette is really a great actress in almost everything she does. She turned in an amazing performance in Little Miss Sunshine and is always pretty solid. Just a great talent.

by Anonymousreply 2November 12, 2021 9:23 AM

Her acceptance speech would start:

“First off, let me finish my Orgasm… Thank you, Academy. It’s official, my life is as good as an Abba song. It's as good as “The Winner Takes It All”. And to all my fellow nominees: ‘What a bunch of cocksuckers!’

by Anonymousreply 3November 12, 2021 10:30 AM

Great movie. I remember showing it to my husband newrly 20 years ago and he said it was a sad story disguised as a comedy. Still amazing though

by Anonymousreply 4November 12, 2021 10:49 AM

She is the best actress out there right now. Hereditary? My god, she was a force of nature.

by Anonymousreply 5November 12, 2021 11:14 AM

She should have won every award in the world with this scene alone!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 12, 2021 11:30 AM

I hope she wins an Oscar some day. I predict Supporting. I don’t see her ever getting Lead, even though she should.

by Anonymousreply 7November 12, 2021 12:00 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 12, 2021 12:07 PM

R8, the photo is forbidden.

by Anonymousreply 9November 12, 2021 1:57 PM

She deserves an Oscar but unfortunately critics and the industry have their designated favorites. They always fawn over Michelle Williams and Amy Adams for snoozing through another "woe is me I'm so broken" performance but fail to acknowledge how great Toni Collette is. She is the best of the Aussie imported actresses ( Kidman, Watts, Blanchett, Byrne).

by Anonymousreply 10November 12, 2021 2:14 PM

I saw this in the theater, she was a revelation!

by Anonymousreply 11November 12, 2021 2:27 PM

I recently watched Muriel's Wedding after many many years .. and ya, it really is a sad and depressing tale.

by Anonymousreply 12November 12, 2021 2:42 PM

I don't find the movie sad but I do hate how there is that one guy who really likes Muriel. He gets pushed aside for the fake marriage and is seen at the wedding looking all sad and hurt. (as is Rachel Griffiths now in her wheelchair.)

Muriel comes to her senses and reunites with Griffiths but I wish she they had put in some hope that she'd notice the guy who really liked her.

by Anonymousreply 13November 13, 2021 3:38 AM

Sooo true R 3.

by Anonymousreply 14November 13, 2021 3:12 PM

She deserves an Oscar for everything. She is consistently great. She even made what could have been a nothingburger part in Knives Out interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 13, 2021 3:28 PM

Her physical transformation is amazing. She's kind of ugly at the beginning (she contorts her face to look bad) then in the wedding scene she is just beautiful.

I forget why does the guy need her to marry him? He's clearly not into it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 26, 2021 5:22 AM

Toni was better than Sue Sarandon, who won the Oscar that year.

by Anonymousreply 17November 26, 2021 5:35 AM

I'd say Sarandon was the worst of the 5 nominees. Collette and Kidman in To Die For were better too.

by Anonymousreply 18November 26, 2021 5:37 AM

Sure why not. If Sandra Bullock deserved an Oscar for playing a loud new-money southerner in The Blind Side then many people, Toni Collette included, also deserve Oscars. I love MW but I think United States of Tara was the best work of her career so far. Glad she won something for it.

by Anonymousreply 19November 26, 2021 5:40 AM

Bullock won because there was no strong other nominees who they had a reason to award. (too new, in bad movies) and she was well liked and had a big year turning both The Blind Side and The Proposal (which she rescued when Julia Roberts bailed) into big money makers.

She seems aware of the mixed reaction since she starts her speech with "did I earn this or just wear you down?"

She later gave an Oscar caliber performance in Gravity but lost to Cate Blancett doing career best work in Blue Jasmine so it makes it alright to me that she won for a less than deserving performance.

(her razzie speech that same year for the movie she did with Bradley Cooper was just brilliantly funny. She promised to go if she won so everyone voted for her so she'd show up. She came with a wagon full of dvds and insisted that they must not have seen the movie since it wasn't that bad.)

by Anonymousreply 20November 26, 2021 5:47 AM

R16 Perfectly made film. Genius. Muriel is transformed into a Bridezilla before the term Bridezilla was created. Muriel is cruel and rapacious , laser focused on GetTIng MARrried, nothing else matters.

by Anonymousreply 21November 26, 2021 10:33 AM

Terrible movie. Great Toni. Things like taking the $ that leads to her mother’s suicide. Watch it again: every scene has a core of meanness. People like or remember the abba songs and the air of camp . Toni is a great actress: made this BS fly.

by Anonymousreply 22November 26, 2021 10:44 AM

scenes stealer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 26, 2021 12:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!