Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

US prices rising at 6.2%, fastest rate for three decades

[quote] Americans' cost of living is rising faster than it has for three decades, with food and fuel driving the increases.

Is your wallet feeling it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75November 25, 2021 4:42 PM

No, but I'm not someone compelled to spend too much on those items in the first place.

Gas is costing you too much? Too damn bad. Buy a smaller car, drive less, or move nearer to transit. Too many idiots buy gas-guzzlers, and then bitch about fuel prices, and then vote Republican as if that's going to fix a problem they made for themselves.

Restaurant prices skyrocketing? Boo-hoo. Learn to cook, and learn to shop wisely. Too many idiots waste money eating out and buying groceries the wrong way.

by Anonymousreply 1November 11, 2021 2:23 AM

And Americans will NEVER change their horrible habits. The only way to stop ass hole Americans is to drive prices up for gas and I'm hoping for $10.00 a gal. Everything else will go up!

by Anonymousreply 2November 11, 2021 2:24 AM

Sonic your annual COL pay increase isn’t 6.2 percent, you’re losing money.

by Anonymousreply 3November 11, 2021 2:24 AM

I'm not going to be able to afford a sheet cake every week if this continues.

by Anonymousreply 4November 11, 2021 2:25 AM

Yeah stuff is definitely getting more expensive. Not a fan. Most DLers won't care, as they're pretty wealthy elites.

by Anonymousreply 5November 11, 2021 2:27 AM

Better learn to bake, R4. The cost of ingredients in a sheet cake is pretty minimal. WAY less than buying one. Hell, even a mix is pretty cheap if you don't want to learn to make a cake from scratch.

by Anonymousreply 6November 11, 2021 2:29 AM

R1/R2 = why liberals are despised.

by Anonymousreply 7November 11, 2021 2:35 AM

r7 = bitter tiny meat freeper fundie cunt trump ass licker.

by Anonymousreply 8November 11, 2021 2:43 AM

🐑 don’t want to admit the truth .

by Anonymousreply 9November 11, 2021 2:46 AM

by Anonymousreply 10November 11, 2021 2:12 PM

To the asshole at R7: the whining you hear from your juvenile, fellow Americans now is nothing compared to the energy crisis of 1973, when the Feds imposed a 55 MPH speed limit on the interstate system.

You never herd such bitching about government over reaching it limits, godless communism, big brother, yada, yada, yada.

Question for R7: why are you and your fellow Americans such entitled, spoiled, unmitigated dickwads?

by Anonymousreply 11November 11, 2021 2:24 PM

And, R7, this was all so predictable on a macro-economic level, so why didn't super smart businessman Donald J. Trump and his band economic advisers do something about it, rather than spending the last two months of his presidency tossing out bullshit conspiracy theories and plotting an armed insurrection.?

by Anonymousreply 12November 11, 2021 2:29 PM

Greg, pls don't weep if the price of prunes skyrockets. We talked about this at our last team building seminar at Mt. Tam, remember?

by Anonymousreply 13November 11, 2021 2:31 PM

R5, take your mopey, gullible ass back to Reddit-- and take your self-awarded WWs with you.

by Anonymousreply 14November 11, 2021 2:32 PM

Republicans always believe they are entitled to something for nothing. Workers should accept crappy pay and do without insurance, but we should expect them to show up and subsidize low cost goods and services. Taxes should be slashed, but the roads and supply chains that depend on public investments should be problem free without spending any money. There should be law and order because the starving just need to learn to appreciate their hunger pangs. We should expect cheap house cleaning and farm work and lawn care, but we should admit no immigrants.

by Anonymousreply 15November 11, 2021 2:37 PM

The Biden Effect

by Anonymousreply 16November 11, 2021 2:43 PM

No, this is the Trump Fuck Up. All his energy went into lies about election fraud.

by Anonymousreply 17November 11, 2021 2:47 PM

Take your meds r14. You have the most ww on this thread. Freak! Sheeeeesh!

by Anonymousreply 18November 11, 2021 2:47 PM

No. I don't own a car and my food stamps went up to $254 a month.

by Anonymousreply 19November 11, 2021 2:50 PM

Take a hint, R18.

by Anonymousreply 20November 11, 2021 3:26 PM

no R5, they're willing to suffer Wonder what flavor Kool-Aide they get served.. Everything is great. Biden is wonderful, Kamala is great, Nancy of the People Pelosi, cough see Getty wedding.

by Anonymousreply 21November 11, 2021 3:41 PM

A hint you need to take your meds, r14/r20? Sure, you need them desperately.

by Anonymousreply 22November 11, 2021 3:48 PM

The is the culmination of a shit ton of factors. Speculators and OPEC have driven the cost of oil up, the pandemic fucked with supply chains, and Trump curtailed immigration for several years which meant fewer new workers being pumped into the economy. He did what he said he would do - drive up the wages for American workers - and now they're bitching because inflation is running high? Who didn't see that coming?

by Anonymousreply 23November 11, 2021 3:49 PM

We're told this is a supply chain problem, and it's a labor problem, and I understand how COVID affected those things, and is still... but the thing here is, once companies figure out consumers WILL pay more, prices rarely go back down(on non-volatile goods.

How do we solve the labor problem? Now that some people have figured out other ways to live besides the jobs they don't want?

How do we solve the ports problem ? Longshoring, at least here in LA is going gangbusters and they still can't keep up with the influx.

by Anonymousreply 24November 11, 2021 3:54 PM

Not to worry , Uncle Joe says we just don't understand, we're just not as smart as him. He has it all in hand. A little like the other Uncle Joe from times past, from that place that made that funny curtain made of iron.

Yellen from the Treasury also said not to worry. She will not let inflation get out of hand .Guess 6.2% is OK by them. Now my question is when will they worry when it hits 10%, 20%. What will Yellen do print high denomination money for when a loaf of bread hits $20.00.

Yeah, no one is suffering, no one at all.

by Anonymousreply 25November 12, 2021 1:38 AM

[bold]We need to talk about the real reason behind US inflation[/bold]

On Wednesday, the US labor department announced that the consumer price index – a basket of products ranging from gasoline and health care to groceries and rents – rose 6.2% from a year ago. That’s the nation’s highest annual inflation rate since November 1990.

Republicans are hammering Biden and Democratic lawmakers over inflation – and attacking his economic stimulus plans as wrongheaded. “This will be a winter of high gas prices, shortages and inflation because far left lunatics control our government,” Marco Rubio, the Republican senator from Florida posted on Twitter Thursday.

A major reason for price rises is supply bottlenecks, as Jerome Powell, chair of the Federal Reserve, has pointed out. He believes they’re temporary, and he’s probably right.

But there’s a deeper structural reason for inflation, one that appears to be growing worse: the economic concentration of the American economy in the hands of a relative few corporate giants with the power to raise prices.

more at link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 12, 2021 7:34 AM

Compared to other countries, America's cost of living is ludicrously cheap. Which makes the perpetual indebtedness of Americans even more staggering.

by Anonymousreply 27November 12, 2021 7:46 AM

by Anonymousreply 28November 12, 2021 5:59 PM

[quote][R1]/[R2] = why liberals are despised.

Actually, it's precisely why the right-wing are the actual snowflake pussies. You just proved you assholes can't handle the truth. You're attempting to defend the irresponsibility and petulant attitude of right-wing morons who don't know how gas prices work.

Fucking snowflake babies.

by Anonymousreply 29November 12, 2021 6:15 PM

[quote]Not to worry , Uncle Joe says we just don't understand, we're just not as smart as him.

Actually, imbecile, it's Trump who *literally* tells people he knows everything and he's the smartest. The irony of using this insult when Trump was the idiot who actually thinks this and said it out loud.

He knows more than the generals, too!

by Anonymousreply 30November 12, 2021 6:18 PM

by Anonymousreply 31November 16, 2021 2:36 PM

There goes the interest rate

by Anonymousreply 32November 16, 2021 2:41 PM

Its fucking outrageous !!! And the old people get 6% increase on their SS and their medicare goes up 14% ????

by Anonymousreply 33November 16, 2021 2:46 PM

Boohoo, try being in Europe. Here we are paying three times as much for our electricity... while it's winter. People are literally freezing inside their homes to save electricity.

by Anonymousreply 34November 16, 2021 5:01 PM

Americans are so self absorbed!!! The prices are rising everywhere. I am in Europe and it is the same story here. What is this a domestic issue? and what Biden is supposed to do about it?

by Anonymousreply 35November 16, 2021 5:04 PM

100 percent.

I feel that the cunts are using the cargo ships issue as an excuse to raise prices even though they aren't having a fucking issue.

everything has gone up in price. EVERYTHING

by Anonymousreply 36November 16, 2021 5:06 PM

R34 So, don't do anything about the price rise in your European countries..Just sit there.Point fingers at the US. Guess it's on you, isn't it? If you tolerate it, it will get worse. Victim card not punched properly I guess. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 37November 17, 2021 1:54 AM

People have to work so we get over the supple shortage. Supply shortage increases demand and covid checks devalue the dollar. It isn’t a mystery that we are seeing unprecedented inflation.

by Anonymousreply 38November 17, 2021 2:05 AM

[quote]No, but I'm not someone compelled to spend too much on those items in the first place. Gas is costing you too much? Too damn bad. Buy a smaller car, drive less, or move nearer to transit. Too many idiots buy gas-guzzlers, and then bitch about fuel prices, and then vote Republican as if that's going to fix a problem they made for themselves.Restaurant prices skyrocketing? Boo-hoo. Learn to cook, and learn to shop wisely. Too many idiots waste money eating out and buying groceries the wrong way.

Well, listen to the out of touch moron at R1.

As if poor people can suddenly trade in their car for a "smaller one" or get up and "move nearer to transit". (LOL).

[quote]Restaurant prices skyrocketing? Boo-hoo. Learn to cook,

Tell that to the thousands of unskilled workers (including immigrants) who depend on their food service paychecks..

Personally these rising prices don't affect my lifestyle. I'm lucky. But it's not about ME.

by Anonymousreply 39November 17, 2021 2:15 AM

Jeeez people this is really not so complicated, or serious. There are essentially three factors:

1. There [italic] is [/italic] some real inflation - too much money chasing too few goods. It’s mainly among high end products. A super-wealthy minority is bidding waaay up the price of Prime Rib, Porsches, vacation homes, and Fine Art (see tonight’s Sotheby’s sales). That doesn’t affect most of us.

2. The covid-caused supply chain bottlenecks mean we won’t be able to get the usual quantities of certain products (petroleum, computer chips) for a while, so things that use them (virtually everything) are [italic] temporarily [/italic] more expensive. Once supply chains recover, there’ll be a sudden surfeit of goods; those prices will fall, and inflation will reverse. (It’ll possibly be too soon for Republicans.)

3. Finally, nearly 1/2 the stuff in the inflation market basket is being compared to last year, when select prices fell thru the floor. Sure some airplane tickets are up 33% over last year - which is huge inflation - on paper. But last year I flew coast to coast for $180 - - - because nobody else was flying. This coming January I’ve booked the same trip for $240. Now that’s a big “inflationary” jump over 2020, but it’s virtually the same price I paid in 2019. On a pre and post covid comparison my ticket inflation was nada.

A very few sectors - beyond those driven by the ongoing have/have not wealth concentration debacle - have seen significant increases over two years ago. But most of this is temporary covid eyewash.

by Anonymousreply 40November 17, 2021 2:52 AM

[quote]Compared to other countries, America's cost of living is ludicrously cheap.

Does this take the cost of healthcare into account?

by Anonymousreply 41November 17, 2021 4:00 AM

my co-worker went for a haircut today in nyc. He said the price went up by $4.

by Anonymousreply 42November 17, 2021 4:22 AM

I stopped by GNC today, and 5 pound tub of whey protein powder that costs $60 for as long as I can remember was now $69.

What the fuck.

by Anonymousreply 43November 17, 2021 4:30 AM

Onlyfans is raising prices.

by Anonymousreply 44November 18, 2021 1:16 AM

R44 Is true?

by Anonymousreply 45November 18, 2021 1:23 AM

In completely unrelated news gas prices keep climbing despite the price of oil falling.

The oil industry is trying to fuck Biden. pure and simple.

by Anonymousreply 46November 18, 2021 1:28 AM

So is the media, R46, that's why they were fine screaming about disappointing job #s months ago, but refuse to make the CORRECTION to that claim.

by Anonymousreply 47November 18, 2021 1:46 AM

R46, I guess that’s the one and only thing I agree with Trump about. The news media is dishonest, corrupt and fake.

by Anonymousreply 48November 18, 2021 2:01 AM

Assistant DAs make shitty salaries. Not even six figures.

by Anonymousreply 49November 18, 2021 2:15 AM

I shopped at WalMart grocery store today. I bought 2 pies--one apple pie, one pumpkin pie. The pies cost only $3.38 each! These were regular sized pies with 8 servings per. (No, I'm not fat. I only type fat. I'm frugal and like pie when it's a good deal. I'll eat a slice of pie and call it dinner.) I can't make a pie for that low of a price! And they are fresh and taste good. Pies at WalMart are still decently priced as are many items. Just don't even bother ordering Godiva chocolates online this year. It's highway robbery for any fancy items.

by Anonymousreply 50November 18, 2021 2:21 AM

Did you read the ingredients list on those Walmart’s pies? If your eat one slice per day, there are 16 servings, and you don’t think the pies will spoil before you can finish them, my guess is there are more chemicals than apples in them.

by Anonymousreply 51November 18, 2021 10:56 AM

Ingredient alone for a homemade pie are $10-$20. Enjoy that Wal-Mart pie, but let’s not pretend.

by Anonymousreply 52November 18, 2021 11:36 AM

I posted in the other thread about how my co-worker went to get a haircut and the price went up by 4 fucking dollars

by Anonymousreply 53November 18, 2021 1:48 PM

R53 but is your co-worker a man or a woman? Men's cuts are typically way cheaper. Also, do they go to Super Cuts or some high-end stylist/salon?

by Anonymousreply 54November 18, 2021 3:10 PM

R54, he's a man and he goes to a normal barber for something very simple. The price is now 33 dollars. Plus you gotta tip on top of that. I know some other places are probably more expensive...he had a previous barber who quit in the beginning of the year to become a truck driver...probably making more now. He was a great barber...

by Anonymousreply 55November 18, 2021 3:23 PM

I'm wondering how much junk is in that Walmart pie. And how long till the expiration date expires.

My supermarket makes pies fresh. The apple pies are surprisingly good and the ingredient list is simple. They're not Walmart prices but I'd rather pay a few dollars more than for crap.

by Anonymousreply 56November 18, 2021 3:26 PM

All part of the plan that began with the fraudulent 2020 election. Thecrest of the world sees it so clearly now too. Pedo Biden and his entire criminal family should be in jail. I can't wait until he gets impeached.

by Anonymousreply 57November 18, 2021 3:27 PM

R56 It all depends on the WalMart. Some have very good pies with real ingredients and contract them out to local bakers. They sell so many that they price them low. Otherwise, they are the same as more expensive pies.

by Anonymousreply 58November 18, 2021 3:30 PM

There is no way a company can stay in business selling pies for 3.38 unless the pie is pure chemicals.

by Anonymousreply 59November 18, 2021 5:45 PM

Seek professional help R57.

by Anonymousreply 60November 19, 2021 4:46 AM

If I hadn't needed to buy a car this year, I wouldn't have noticed it at all because I'm still working from home.

The chip shortage causing crazy car prices is awful--and supposed to end at the end of 2022.

by Anonymousreply 61November 19, 2021 5:15 AM

Bidenflation hurts the poor most

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 19, 2021 5:23 AM

I just had another slice of WalMart pie! The apples are real. It tastes good. 3.38 per pie, folks!

by Anonymousreply 63November 19, 2021 5:30 AM

R63 calm down, you sound like a fat whore!

by Anonymousreply 64November 19, 2021 5:52 AM

The gas prices in OP's photo are CHEAP compared to today. I have a few cheap Arco gas station locations in my back pocket that I know will always be the cheapest in my general area. I paid 4.33/gallon for the cheapest. Most of the gas stations in my area have a 5 - in front of the price. The inflation is real both at the pump and in the grocery stores. So are the supply issues and for the most random things.

by Anonymousreply 65November 19, 2021 6:39 AM

Long term, the price increase is going to seriously fuck with several business models.

I’m a hairdresser that works for a 506 store chain that has it’s own warehouse and can control overhead better, but my husband works for himself. His cost for professional haircolor and supplies has tripled, yet the distributors have been “easing” salon owners into future increases, offering flash sales and discounts if you open a credit card with them. There’s a mad rush to stock up, but many working on a shoestring budget cannot afford to do so. The past rule of thumb is 6 percent of the finished price for materials, but it’s more like 12 percent now. Someone working for themselves is actually making far LESS when they have to pay this increased margin and increased rent. (I usually make 60-75% including bonuses, PTO, and hourly).

It’s eating into profit and costing private salon owners too much and they’re reacting- hastily trying to push the increase onto customers that either simply don’t come back or come in far less often. Many people that would’ve had a root color to touch up grey 2-3 times over the holidays in the past-

only come in once just before Thanksgiving now and you won’t see them until next year.

by Anonymousreply 66November 19, 2021 8:22 AM

S&P is set for another record breaking year.. Bonus season for Wall Street is set to break records this year as well. .So all and all cannot complain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67November 19, 2021 8:38 AM

R66

Hairdressers one knows locally are all moaning about how their once bread and butter color business dropped off during covid, and has yet to often come back 100%.

Many women (and some men) simply let their natural hair color grow out (including grey/white/silver hair) when places shut down by mandatory orders. But when things were allowed to reopen good number just decided they didn't want to go back to frequent hair coloring, so that's that. Here in NYC am seeing far more grey/white hair IMHO than two years ago before covid.

by Anonymousreply 68November 19, 2021 10:39 AM

^^Is English your first language?

by Anonymousreply 69November 19, 2021 5:06 PM

R66 yes and no. The little old ladies aren’t coming back in droves but interestingly I’m getting tons of new business with younger woman that have very steely grey hair. Price is a much bigger factor, I’ve noticed our pricing runs a bit lower than the fancy places but I’m booked all day long and our company is averaging half it’s business as haircolor, where it was more of a family salon before the shutdown. We carry exactly the same products but it’s not touted as a luxury brand.

I’m doing six times as much business as when I worked in high end, charging about half of what I used to in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 70November 19, 2021 10:06 PM

[quote] I’m getting tons of new business with younger woman

Just the one, dear?

by Anonymousreply 71November 19, 2021 10:15 PM

General Mills raising the price of Cereals!

by Anonymousreply 72November 24, 2021 10:17 PM

White House shrugs off price jumps

More than two-thirds of Americans are worried inflation will affect their winter, with 51 per cent concerned they 'won't be able to afford what they need during the holidays,' a new poll reveals.

A Yahoo/YouGov survey taken the week before Thanksgiving shows 77 per cent of Americans feel inflation is affecting their lives – and 57 per cent blame it on President Joe Biden.

Among Democratic voters, 25 per cent say Biden is not doing enough to address inflation and another 39 per cent say they aren't sure. This means that 64 per cent of the president's own party don't have much confidence in his response to the inflation crisis.

by Anonymousreply 73November 24, 2021 10:29 PM

[Quote]Gas is costing you too much? Too damn bad. Buy a smaller car, drive less, or move nearer to transit

You bloody fool. Embrace the shit!

by Anonymousreply 74November 24, 2021 10:47 PM

by Anonymousreply 75November 25, 2021 4:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!