Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sade

Sade has released only six albums in her forty-year career and rarely does publicity, but is still in heavy rotation around the world

What do you think of Sade?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153August 13, 2022 11:31 PM

Smooth Operator and Your Love is King were the first two songs she recorded when she started her own band

by Anonymousreply 1November 9, 2021 4:34 AM

She's like the no-publicist Angelina Jolie of music. Her career just runs itself.

by Anonymousreply 2November 9, 2021 4:35 AM

Say-d

by Anonymousreply 3November 9, 2021 4:36 AM

Sultry, timeless voice.

by Anonymousreply 4November 9, 2021 4:37 AM

love her

by Anonymousreply 5November 9, 2021 4:38 AM

My mother would play her CD she released in the early 00s all the time.

by Anonymousreply 6November 9, 2021 4:40 AM

"In America, people tend to go SHAR-DAY"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 9, 2021 4:40 AM

“Lovers Rock” which came out in 2003. Had to look it up. My mom always played this.

by Anonymousreply 8November 9, 2021 4:42 AM

Shade.

by Anonymousreply 9November 9, 2021 4:44 AM

I e loved her since ‘85. I can’t think of one bad song. She’s so classy. And has a transman son.

by Anonymousreply 10November 9, 2021 4:47 AM

I love Sade. But she and the band are definitely "mood" music. You have to be in a vibe where you want to listen to her sometimes icy, never overtly "jammin" music. I have friends who describe her as "boring" and I can honestly see that at times. Sade is chill out, relaxation music, so there's a time and a place for her - and if it's that time and place, she's awesome. I saw her in concert back around 2010 and she and the band were fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 11November 9, 2021 4:48 AM

This is the only song of hers I care about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 9, 2021 4:50 AM

LOVE her. One of my all-time favorite artists.

by Anonymousreply 13November 9, 2021 4:57 AM

I didn't realize how many people are into her until she played the Hollywood Bowl in the early 2000s and the day of the show people were freaking like it was a Depeche Mode concert in the US in the 80s

by Anonymousreply 14November 9, 2021 5:00 AM

She has quite a gig. She manages to drag herself into the studio about once every eight years, records a couple of tracks that sound pretty much like everything else she's ever done, then she goes home and watches the money roll in.

by Anonymousreply 15November 9, 2021 5:02 AM

"By Your Side" on Sex and the City

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 9, 2021 5:02 AM

She’s truly an artist in her own lane.

She’s never had to play any games to have success. As someone said, her career runs itself.

And her audience is so wide. Of course I don’t think younger generations are into her (even though “By Your Side” is covered a lot by younger artists) but I’ve been surprised by some people I’ve met who love her.

by Anonymousreply 17November 9, 2021 5:03 AM

'Is It a Crime' is my absolute fave. Masterpiece.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 9, 2021 5:04 AM

Adore her OP.

by Anonymousreply 19November 9, 2021 5:06 AM

Sade (I still pronounce it as "Shar-day" in my mind, as we were instructed to by the label on her first album) will always be a favorite of mine. She's unlike anyone else. If anyone else tried it, they would sound wooden and boring, which many accuse Sade of. But she'll always be icy cool but incredibly entertaining to me. She was the first to do it (whatever it is she does -- I really can't describe it), so she's the best. I'm sure someone else will try to copy it (it's been 40 years, certainly someone wants to tap into that market, whatever it's called). I just can't imagine they'll succeed. Some would argue that cow Adele is following in Sade's footsteps, but Adele can't hold a candle to her, even if Adele has the better voice. Adele will never be cool.

by Anonymousreply 20November 9, 2021 5:13 AM

Adele is too needy. Sade has NEVER been needy.

by Anonymousreply 21November 9, 2021 5:15 AM

What's amazing is that Sade's music doesn't sound dated at all, even her 80s stuff. Most 80s music has that "80s sound" but hers still sounds like it could've been recorded yesterday.

She's also so beautiful, classy and glamorous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 9, 2021 5:17 AM

[quote]Sade (I still pronounce it as "Shar-day" in my mind

That's the correct pronunciation. Very common name in Nigeria (diminutive of Folasade). It is to Nigeria what Lupita is to Mexico.

by Anonymousreply 23November 9, 2021 5:19 AM

She's a woman who understands the power of mystery and knows not to overexpose herself. These celebrities now get literally sick if they're not near a TV camera and will show up to every opening of an envelope like a Kardashian.

by Anonymousreply 24November 9, 2021 5:23 AM

I’ve listened to her Greatest Hits more than a hundred times. Paradise is the most rocking song, probably.

by Anonymousreply 25November 9, 2021 5:23 AM

r24 I love that about Sade. She's not a two-bit famewhore like so many others. She does her thing then goes back to her private life. She doesn't need constant publicity and she doesn't use her personal life as fodder to stay in the news. It's refreshing, too bad more celebs aren't like that.

by Anonymousreply 26November 9, 2021 5:26 AM

This is a great remix of Paradise

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 9, 2021 5:26 AM

[quote]“I saw a picture. How could you be so careless?”

Devastating.

Lovers Rock is one of my favourite albums.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 9, 2021 5:58 AM

[quote] even if Adele has the better voice

Dear lord, no.

by Anonymousreply 29November 9, 2021 6:00 AM

She's one of those rare artists who are much more popular in the US than in the UK. Her music doesn't make as big a splash back home.

by Anonymousreply 30November 9, 2021 6:12 AM

[quote]rarely does publicity,

Nonsense. She's a local anchor in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 31November 9, 2021 6:16 AM

[quote]She's one of those rare artists who are much more popular in the US than in the UK. Her music doesn't make as big a splash back home.

Because they prefer that Minogue shit.

by Anonymousreply 32November 9, 2021 6:16 AM

She talks about the pronunciation of her name in the video at R7

Seems like it's more SHAH-DAY than SHAR-DAY

by Anonymousreply 33November 9, 2021 6:35 AM

Such an oasis of phrasing and breath control vs over singing that had dominated pop from the 1990s onward.

by Anonymousreply 34November 9, 2021 6:42 AM

She was a bartender at Danceteria in New York when Debi Mazar worked the elevator and Madonna, LL Cool J and the Beastie Boys hung out there

by Anonymousreply 35November 9, 2021 6:59 AM

She's a steamy re-make of torch song singers. I really love her music and songs. Don't care that she has made few albums, the ones she's made I absolutely love. She has great voice control.

by Anonymousreply 36November 9, 2021 7:03 AM

I don’t get why people call her Shar-day. It’s Shah-day.

by Anonymousreply 37November 9, 2021 7:38 AM

I love her. When Smooth Operator was a hit, I was a young teen and HATED that song and Sade's delivery. I had such a strong disdain for her overall presentation. Once I heard the complete album I had a total change of heart and have enjoyed her records ever since. I would see her if she toured near me.

by Anonymousreply 38November 9, 2021 7:41 AM

Even in my grungy, gothy youth I loved Sade Adu’s vocal styling. In the era of big singing she always stood out. I hope Sade (the band) decides to tour in the near future - they are one of the best live acts that I have seen.

I’m surprised there aren’t a couple of younger stars who have adopted Sade Adu’s effortlessly cool, enigmatic, and mysterious persona. I guess maybe a few have tried and then given up.

by Anonymousreply 39November 9, 2021 10:05 AM

Hello!?

by Anonymousreply 40November 9, 2021 10:16 AM

I LOVE that '80s jazzy easy listening sound. It evokes certain fuzzy, romantic feelings I have difficulty in describing but you know it when you hear it. Sade, George Benson, Al Jarreau, the Manhattans, David Sanborn, Kenny G are examples of people who had that sound.

Here's Al Jarreau (to me the male Sade) with another classic from the era.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 9, 2021 10:23 AM

Saw her on her last two tours, fantastic shows. Hoping she’s coming out with some new music soon. Sade negotiated a very good contract when she first signed on to a label. She doesn’t have to tour unless she wants to.

by Anonymousreply 42November 9, 2021 2:33 PM

[quote]Seems like it's more SHAH-DAY than SHAR-DAY

All those people who've always pronounced it Shar-day make me laugh. She's British (yes, I know, Nigerian, but she speaks British English). Do the British ever pronounce their Rs like that? It's definitely closer to Shah-day.

by Anonymousreply 43November 9, 2021 4:15 PM

R23 Funny, only just now did I realize Folasade looks like Felicity.

by Anonymousreply 44November 9, 2021 5:35 PM

[quote]I didn't realize how many people are into her until she played the Hollywood Bowl in the early 2000s and the day of the show people were freaking like it was a Depeche Mode concert in the US in the 80s

Thank you for this comparison, R14. As a Depeche fan who has seen footage of their 1988 Rose Bowl concert it really puts Sade’s popularity into perspective.

by Anonymousreply 45November 9, 2021 6:45 PM

One of the best artist from the 80s and what a beauty!

by Anonymousreply 46November 9, 2021 7:00 PM

Such a striking, unique beauty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 9, 2021 8:54 PM

I hope she releases a new album

by Anonymousreply 48November 9, 2021 9:24 PM

The reason so many people pronounce it "Shar-day" is, as I mentioned in my earlier post, because it was stamped on the label of "Diamond Life." (Sade: Pronounced "Shar-day"). The story goes that her U.S. record company (Portrait Records at the beginning, I believe) called her U.K. record company (Epic) and asked a secretary how to pronounce the name. The secretary, who had a thick working-class English accent, responded: "Shar-day." So the U.S. label printed the supposed pronunciation on the label of "Diamond Life" so DJs and fans would know how to pronounce this exotic name. Unfortunately, it wasn't correct.

by Anonymousreply 49November 9, 2021 9:43 PM

She is iconic, eh pookie? And carrying the tradition into the 21st century.

The tradition? Funny folks are ascribing an "80s" vibe to her.... she is in the lineage of the great jazz singers of the 50s... cool, smoky, slow burn, heroin. Billie Holiday, Ella, Shirley Horn, Anita O'Day, June Christy, Carmen McRae,/Sarah Vaughn (in their cool opiate modes). Peggy Lee was the Walmart version of the form.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 9, 2021 10:05 PM

Smooth Operator never gets old.

by Anonymousreply 51November 9, 2021 10:38 PM

I had a student in my class in LA who was named after the phonetic spelling on the Diamond Life album - Sharday

by Anonymousreply 52November 9, 2021 11:42 PM

Who is more of a recluse, Sade or Kate Bush?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 9, 2021 11:44 PM

Beautiful in every way. Saw her live at the Hollywood Bowl some 20 years ago - magical night.

by Anonymousreply 54November 9, 2021 11:46 PM

R14 Lol, I was at that show.

-R54

by Anonymousreply 55November 9, 2021 11:48 PM

"Killer Blow" is fabulous and she is amazingly beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 56November 9, 2021 11:58 PM

I remember radio DJs in the 80s calling her “Sod” “Sayd”, and “Sadie” when Smooth Operator came out. I think by the second album people figured it out.

by Anonymousreply 57November 9, 2021 11:59 PM

[quote]Peggy Lee was the Walmart version of the form.

Peggy Lee is universally acclaimed as a great artist and one of the most important female singers of the 20th Century

by Anonymousreply 58November 10, 2021 1:04 AM

Sade and Enya have both excelled by making music the way they want and that suits them best without giving a fuck about trying to appeal to an audience. Because they are so talented, the audience comes to them. I wish more artists were so steadfastly themselves.

by Anonymousreply 59November 10, 2021 1:12 AM

There is no one like her. She does new music, tours and just disappears completely.

by Anonymousreply 60November 10, 2021 1:37 AM

This concert on Blu-ray is fantastic. Can’t believe it’s been ten years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 10, 2021 1:44 AM

And then you have garbage like Travis Kardashian

by Anonymousreply 62November 10, 2021 1:57 AM

Her final album should be

Sade Last Days

by Anonymousreply 63November 10, 2021 2:02 AM

[quote]Sade (I still pronounce it as "Shar-day" in my mind, as we were instructed to by the label on her first album) will always be a favorite of mine.

In posh British accent or RP (Received pronunciation) "Shar" sounds like "Shah" in an American accent. Like how RP /posh British people pronouch "car" or "far" as "cahhh" or "Fahhh" (think Julie Andrews......" Fahhhhh a long long long way to run!"

by Anonymousreply 64November 10, 2021 3:14 AM

Also, while "Sade" is her nickname for Folasade, Sade is actually the name of their band.

by Anonymousreply 65November 10, 2021 3:15 AM

I worked with her. She is beautiful inside and out. She was very kind, thoughtful, and generous.

by Anonymousreply 66November 10, 2021 3:17 AM

How do we know her name isn't pronounced the same way as Marquis de Sade?

by Anonymousreply 67November 10, 2021 3:30 AM

Sax player Stuart Matthewman and Keyboardist Andrew Hale are hot and have BDF

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 10, 2021 3:31 AM

another poic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69November 10, 2021 3:32 AM

Love her voice

by Anonymousreply 70November 10, 2021 3:34 AM

Peerless and something magic about her.

by Anonymousreply 71November 10, 2021 3:36 AM

Sade's rocking the 80s stirrup pants @ r69!

by Anonymousreply 72November 10, 2021 4:07 AM

I knew a professional musician in the '80s that said she was very off key in her songs, and her lyrics were pretty basic.

But she did have exotic looks, a cool and enigmatic persona, and that "Quiet Storm" genre added to her hype.

by Anonymousreply 73November 10, 2021 4:20 AM

I’ve heard she’s just as lovely a person—and very diminutive as well.

by Anonymousreply 74November 10, 2021 4:21 AM

She's not off key, and her lyrics are pretty good for pop music.

by Anonymousreply 75November 10, 2021 4:32 AM

She could be pitchy esp in her early live performances but she admits she's not traineds inger, but her lyrics are amazing. Esp the first album. Each song is a story

by Anonymousreply 76November 10, 2021 4:40 AM

I always loved Sweetest Taboo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77November 10, 2021 4:46 AM

And her comeback song that is more than 10 years old, Soldier of Love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78November 10, 2021 4:49 AM

Youtube has some B Sides and songs that were never formally released. I love this one, I don't know why it wasn't included on Diamond Life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79November 10, 2021 4:52 AM

Always loved this backstage footage and her sense of humor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80November 10, 2021 5:12 AM

The 'personal life' section of her wiki is interesting:

[quote]Sade squatted in Tottenham in the 1980s, with her boyfriend Robert Elms.[81] In 1989, she married Spanish film director Carlos Pliego. Their marriage ended in 1995.[6] Sade moved briefly to the Caribbean to live with Jamaican music producer Bob Morgan in the late 1990s,[6] and gave birth to their child on 21 July 1996. The child was raised as a daughter, who sang on Sade's song "Babyfather" in 2010. Sade and Morgan later separated, and she has been in a relationship with Ian Watts, a former Royal Marine, since 2007; from this relationship, she has a stepson. In 2016, on National Coming Out Day, Sade's child came out as a transgender man named Izaak Theo Adu.[82][83][84] In September 2019, Izaak posted a message online, thanking his mother for her support through his transition.[85]

[quote]In 2005, Sade moved to the Gloucestershire countryside, where she bought a run-down cottage to renovate. Sade rarely grants interviews.[86]

Apparently, the only celebrity she's dated was fellow recluse singer, Maxwell.

by Anonymousreply 81November 10, 2021 11:29 AM

Only album of hers I've properly listened to is Lover's Rock, but 'By Your Side' is one of my all-time favourite songs. I don't know why I never got into her other stuff really. Love her languid vocals and production.

by Anonymousreply 82November 10, 2021 1:52 PM

Maxwell is gay

by Anonymousreply 83November 10, 2021 1:59 PM

Many of the criticisms about her work sounding same-y are true, but she is the perfect listen when in the right mood. I’ve loved her since I heard ‘When Am I Gonna Make A Living’ (one of their more upbeat tracks, in hindsight) and she has given us the perfect soundtrack to those after-hours evenings, while also personifying ‘Cool Britannia’ in her early years with Smooth Operator and Sweetest Taboo. I agree that ‘Is It A Crime?’ is probably her masterpiece. The vivid lyrics (“wider than Victoria Lake”), the prowling quiet-loud dynamic in the music, and her impeccably measured vocal that brings pure DRAMA down to the last howl of “is it a crime?” Perfection.

On the other hand their most sonically beautiful album is ‘Lovers Rock’ IMO - if it lacks as many hit ‘songs’ as their prior records, but makes up for it in *sounds*. The title track is pure ASMR (‘I am in the wilderness, you are in the music, in the man’s car next to me’), while By Your Side uses just the right amount of modern technology in the production, and ‘It’s Only Love That Gets You Through’ is so tender. They really hit their stride there.

Her privacy and mystery has only increased her impact I think (and she’s a real ‘artists artist’, everyone from Drake to Kanye West has named her as an influence despite sounding nothing like her). She has never done a collaboration with another artist or worked when she didn’t want to, one of the few modern acts to be able to get away with that. I guess the closest thing to a Sade is Maxwell. He actually collaborates with Sade band member Matthewman on basically all his records, also takes around 8 years between albums, and has the suited-up smooth jazz style with more focus on sound than hit melodies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84November 10, 2021 2:07 PM

Does anyone remember Timothy's in Midtown Manhattan? I often went there in the morning in the mid 90s. And one day, as I was sipping my coffee and watching the Manhattan traffic, they played this song "No Ordinary Love." Heaven!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85November 10, 2021 2:27 PM

I remember seeing her live at a club in London in the very early 80’s when she was the singer in a band called Pride. I don’t think that she’s ever appeared on a chat show, and she very rarely gives interviews.

by Anonymousreply 86November 10, 2021 2:45 PM

I remember hearing Smooth Operator as a kid and initially being somewhat intrigued because it was different to everything else I was listening to. I remember hearing her mention "Key Largo," in the lyrics, and thinking, "Wow, that must be a very glamourous place." But my intrigue soon gave way to dislike, and eventually disgust. I remember turning on VH-1 in the early days, and seeing the video for Sweetest Taboo, and thinking, "Ick!" The boring bejeweled suede coat and jeans, the mom-dancing, the horseback riding, the omnipresent tight-as-fuck pulled back ponytail. I thought their music was for old people, and just epitomized "elevator music." There was just nothing "cool" about it.

Later in my teens, I remember Love Deluxe came out, and No Ordinary Love was big. I thought, "OK this song is a vibe, but she's still boring as fuck, and who would want to listen to a whole album of that?" Then I remember calling this gay chat line (The Buddy System?), and the hold music while you were waiting to connect to a "hot single" was "Kiss Of Life." After hearing it repeatedly, I thought it was kind of nice, and I became more receptive to the music of Sade. Maybe it was just music you needed to be in the right mood for.

When By Your Side came out, I was very touched by it, and it's still one of my favorite songs. So I then went back and starting listening to the older music that I had previously discarded, and started to appreciate it. I mean, "Love Is Stronger Than Pride?" Just beautiful. I guess I just needed to get old to appreciate the old people music.

Over the years, they've forged a unique little niche in the music world, which they never strayed very far from, and I kind of love that about them. They drop maybe an album a decade, and aren't trying to reinvent the wheel when they do. They make their kind of music for the people that like it, and if you don't like it, fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 87November 11, 2021 9:31 AM

[quote]I’ve listened to her Greatest Hits more than a hundred times. Paradise is the most rocking song, probably.[quote]

They can be surprisingly funky sometimes. Paradise, and Nothing Can Come Between Us both have a really funky rhythm section.

by Anonymousreply 88November 11, 2021 9:38 AM

I saw her live in the 80s. It was a large venue and she sounded great but her act was much better suited to a smaller, more intimate venue. We were all a little bored by the end of it, but we were 19 at the time and right back in the cheap seats.

by Anonymousreply 89November 11, 2021 9:50 AM

there must have been an angel by my side...

the opening of "Kiss of Life" is great!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90November 11, 2021 10:21 AM

R87

“The boring bejewelled suede jacket”was Jean-Paul Gaultier.

by Anonymousreply 91November 11, 2021 10:27 AM

Thanks r90, i LOVE this song!!

by Anonymousreply 92November 11, 2021 10:29 AM

Look how amazing and beautiful, first album. During the times of punk and new wave, she is just pure elegance. Love the trench.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93November 11, 2021 11:08 AM

I also love this song, "Maureen," which had no video or exposure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94November 11, 2021 11:12 AM

Beautiful, soulful song. One of the reasons I've always loved her music..

"Pearls,” Love Deluxe (1992): Sade’s harrowing legend of a Somali mother searching for pearls to pay to feed her daughter turns on a line so weird and exact you could mistake it for bad; only once you’ve painfully broken in a pair of new sneakers does “It hurts like brand-new shoes” fully emerge as the genius metaphor it is.

by Anonymousreply 95November 11, 2021 11:27 AM

Posting this song again the right way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96November 11, 2021 11:29 AM

R96 Both times I have seen Sade perform this song gave me chills. She may have been pitchy when she was young but Sade Adu’s mastery of Pearls live was pure perfection.

by Anonymousreply 97November 11, 2021 5:15 PM

She's a smooth operator!

Seriously wonderful music when you want to chill out. I think part of her appeal is that she is not overexposed like other artists. She is chill and remains in the background. That has helped her maintain longevity.

by Anonymousreply 98November 11, 2021 5:18 PM

So much sex to The Best of Sade

by Anonymousreply 99November 11, 2021 5:27 PM

The R in Sade came about because Brits like to put r's into words where they don't belong. Massachusettsan do this too, but Sade is not a Portuguese fishwife.

by Anonymousreply 100November 11, 2021 7:17 PM

Definitely r98. Sade really knows the meaning of the old saying "less is more." So many celebs are media whores and get overexposed and the public gets tired of them, but Sade always leaves you wanting more. It's a brilliant way to have a long career.

by Anonymousreply 101November 11, 2021 7:25 PM

R94

My favourite Sade song

by Anonymousreply 102November 12, 2021 1:12 AM

No octave range.

by Anonymousreply 103November 12, 2021 1:20 AM

Bullet Proof Soul is one of my favorites.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104November 12, 2021 1:42 AM

Here’s her China version

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105November 12, 2021 1:53 AM

[quote]What do you think of Sade?

She pays the payola. That's the secret of her success with "rotation."

Whore among whores.

by Anonymousreply 106November 12, 2021 1:59 AM

Yeah that's why she sells out arenas every time she tours r106 🙄

by Anonymousreply 107November 12, 2021 2:02 AM

I used to be one of those nerds who studiously followed the music charts worldwide. I remember when 'Lovers Rock' was released in November of 2000, a time when almost no British acts made the Billboard charts. The album debuted at a pathetic number 18 on the UK album charts. Tell-tale signs of a forgotten artiste who used to be somewhat famous in the '80s but no longer viable except as a nostalgia act.

The Billboard 200 was always announced a week after the British charts because albums were released to record stores every Tuesday and that particular week was one of those "Super Tuesdays" where several high profile albums would be competing. Lovers Rock debuted at number 3 on Billboard in a very competitive week, beating Ricky Martin's highly anticipated second album and only placing behind two high profile compilation albums that typically used to rule the charts back then. I remember British pop media, journalists and radio scratching their heads wondering why she was so popular in the U.S. when most famous and current British acts could barely crack the top 200. They couldn't understand why someone who was more or less forgotten in the UK was having having such success in America. And this was back when CD would sell almost a million copies in one week.

Anyone interested in a trip down memory lane, here's the Billboard hot 200 for that week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108November 12, 2021 2:35 AM

Sade has always been very popular in America, she has a HUGE American fan base.

by Anonymousreply 109November 12, 2021 2:38 AM

The UK also have awful taste .

by Anonymousreply 110November 13, 2021 2:45 AM

^^^^ I hope you are not an American coming out with that stupid statement.

by Anonymousreply 111November 13, 2021 3:50 PM

^ The Spice Girls, Little Mix, Steps, Five, Liberty X, Hear'Say, Wet Wet Wet, Girls Aloud ... need I go on? All very successful.

by Anonymousreply 112November 14, 2021 1:01 AM

The Sex and the City pool scene at R16 was filmed before 9/11 next to the World Trade Towers and they were edited out

by Anonymousreply 113November 14, 2021 1:32 AM

Tool operator

Toooooool operator

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114November 14, 2021 1:35 AM

R112 Outside the Spice Girls, those groups are largely unknown in the US.

by Anonymousreply 115November 14, 2021 11:16 AM

I remember No Ordinaey Love from when Woody Harrelson and Demi Moore fuck on the bed covered with money in Indecent Proposal

by Anonymousreply 116November 14, 2021 12:02 PM

I'm surprised to learn from this thread that Sade isn't as big in the UK. I always assumed she (yes, I know, Sade is, technically a band) was as popular there. She plays arenas in the US. Is she playing smaller venues in the UK?

by Anonymousreply 117November 15, 2021 3:39 AM

Brits prefer talented artists like The Cheeky Girls

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118November 15, 2021 3:43 AM

I always liked the song 'Jezebel':

Jezebel, what a belle

Looks like a princess in her new dress

How did you get that?

"Do you really want to know?" she said

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119November 15, 2021 3:56 AM

R11 I don't know how many dates I've been on where someone put on Sade when we got back to their apartment after a night out on the town in West Hollywood and Downtown to set the mood.

by Anonymousreply 120August 12, 2022 5:19 PM

I like her but don’t think she’s amazing. And a lot of her songs sound the same.

by Anonymousreply 121August 12, 2022 5:26 PM

I still get chills when I listen to Diamond Life. A perfect album. So gorgeous.

Most of Promise too, I love “Is It a Crime?”

The success of her career is interesting, looking back. A good example of the “fame” bar being set high, or maybe not thought about too much. She knows what kind of songs suit her voice. It really is about the music. She has a timeless style that’s striking but unfussy, and comes across as graceful on camera. Plus she’s an exotic beauty who never seems to age, much like her voice. It just works.

by Anonymousreply 122August 12, 2022 6:17 PM

She's just Helen to me.

by Anonymousreply 123August 12, 2022 6:19 PM

Seen her live three times, fantastic show every time. Someone who sings, tours to support no music and disappears again.

by Anonymousreply 124August 12, 2022 6:21 PM

She’s quiet. It says a lot.

by Anonymousreply 125August 12, 2022 6:24 PM

Diamond Life was my first cassette tape. I must have pinged to high Heaven counting out my money while making my purchase at Sam Goody's. I would love to see Sade in concert one more time. Her music and voice are timeless.

by Anonymousreply 126August 12, 2022 6:36 PM

R64 Seeing as RP is an accent, then the proper pronunciation is Shah-Day. That way it is correctly pronounced by every accent and not just the RP brigade (who are too busy listening to Noel Coward to have any idea who Sade is.)

by Anonymousreply 127August 12, 2022 6:39 PM

Because people are sick of that damn Anita Baker!

by Anonymousreply 128August 12, 2022 6:41 PM

R30 Yes, only five of her six albums have gone top 10 in the UK. We obviously hate her in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 129August 12, 2022 6:43 PM

A niche artist. Her aura of mystique keeps her interesting.

by Anonymousreply 130August 12, 2022 6:49 PM

She looks great for a woman of 63.

by Anonymousreply 131August 12, 2022 7:14 PM

She has a trans son.

by Anonymousreply 132August 12, 2022 7:58 PM

R132 She should write an album about that.

by Anonymousreply 133August 12, 2022 8:41 PM

I love her

by Anonymousreply 134August 12, 2022 8:46 PM

Holloway Rd. Heroin

by Anonymousreply 135August 12, 2022 11:46 PM

My friend used to work at her label back in the 90s and he said she was a label dream - highly profitable because she had to do little to no promotion and the album sold millions of copies globally.

During some album that came out in the 90s, maybe Lovers Rock, in NYC downtown there were a bunch of outside posters along a wall about the album and some puerto rican queen pulled out a fat sharpie and wrote "this bitch only put out a record when she FEEL like it."

I thought that was hilarious and spot on.

by Anonymousreply 136August 12, 2022 11:58 PM

Very lovely voice

by Anonymousreply 137August 12, 2022 11:59 PM

The Sweetest Taboo is shiiiiiit.

by Anonymousreply 138August 13, 2022 1:03 AM

Bliss

by Anonymousreply 139August 13, 2022 3:45 AM

Horse

by Anonymousreply 140August 13, 2022 9:49 AM

Very easy listening. Like Norah Jones.

by Anonymousreply 141August 13, 2022 10:02 AM

[quote] I LOVE that '80s jazzy easy listening sound. It evokes certain fuzzy, romantic feelings I have difficulty in describing but you know it when you hear it.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I feel very nostalgic for my life back in the 80s and 90s living in L.A. when I hear the Moonlighting theme. Same with Sade.

by Anonymousreply 142August 13, 2022 3:01 PM

I remember when I first became aware of her music. So amazing!

I expected Basia as well as Swing Out Sister to have similar trajectories--and I was wrong!

by Anonymousreply 143August 13, 2022 3:14 PM

She was a smooth operator.

by Anonymousreply 144August 13, 2022 3:46 PM

R135 Why post that bullshit?

by Anonymousreply 145August 13, 2022 4:22 PM

I don't think this mix is well known, but one of the best dance remixes of ANY song I've heard. Totally true to the spirit of the original - sexy, dusky, and longing but also totally dance floor worthy.

Love Sade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146August 13, 2022 6:36 PM

Thanks for sharing, r146. I liked it.

Here's a remix for The Sweetest Taboo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147August 13, 2022 7:42 PM

Sade hates dance remixes of her songs.

by Anonymousreply 148August 13, 2022 7:48 PM

The music we love in our teenage years is lodged into our consciousness forever. I could listen to "Diamond Life" and "Promise" all day. Saw her in concert in 2010, fantastic show.

by Anonymousreply 149August 13, 2022 7:50 PM

She's Madonna's age, but unlike Madge she's had the sense to age with grace and dignity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150August 13, 2022 8:10 PM

R147 , that's a nice remix as well. very smooth.

R148 [quote Sade hates dance remixes of her songs.]

but i love them so!

by Anonymousreply 151August 13, 2022 8:22 PM

Being an in-shape MILF and BEING SADE, she could still pull in most straight dude dick ranging from 20s-80s

by Anonymousreply 152August 13, 2022 8:37 PM

Laundry Day

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153August 13, 2022 11:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!