Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dexter is back

Will anyone be watching?

Will he get a boyfriend now that MCH is 'fluid'?

by Anonymousreply 73November 29, 2021 5:42 PM

I fell asleep with 20 minutes left.

by Anonymousreply 1November 7, 2021 10:15 AM

I liked Dexter back in the day, but I just couldn't care less now.

by Anonymousreply 2November 7, 2021 10:34 AM

I don't have Showtime :-(

by Anonymousreply 3November 7, 2021 11:30 AM

I was a faithful Dexter follower until the last two seasons. I think I'll pass on any further installments.

by Anonymousreply 4November 7, 2021 11:57 AM

I liked old Dexter because he drove the exact same car and color as I did. Now he drives a truck, so meh

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 7, 2021 12:21 PM

I dedicated years to this series only to be irritated by it the last two seasons. I couldn’t give a shit to even see the previews of this silly do-over. There’s no way I’m going back to Showtime to watch it. They fucked up. It’s over and they need to Let it go.

by Anonymousreply 6November 7, 2021 12:44 PM

Serial killing lumberjacks? What's not to like?

by Anonymousreply 7November 7, 2021 12:51 PM

I finished the episode, I fell asleep @R1. about 9 minutes before the end it gets a jolt. I'll watch the next one.

I liked the first series until the 5th season, but I did like Jordan Chase/the barrel girl story line.

by Anonymousreply 8November 7, 2021 1:11 PM

“Will he get a boyfriend now that MCH is 'fluid'?”

Dexter has always been a big proponent of embalming fluid.

by Anonymousreply 9November 7, 2021 3:37 PM

Sign me up. I watched the entire series twice.

by Anonymousreply 10November 7, 2021 3:41 PM

Dexter was my favorite show back in the day. All of you guys saying you left after season 6, while I understand (season 6 was trash), you missed out on the great revival that was season 7 (Hannah McKay notwithstanding.)

But by season 8, I was done. I'm not going back.

by Anonymousreply 11November 7, 2021 3:43 PM

Who will give up their Showtime login info?

by Anonymousreply 12November 7, 2021 3:55 PM

piratebay is your friend.

by Anonymousreply 13November 7, 2021 3:57 PM

He certainly is back and didn't disappoint.

by Anonymousreply 14November 8, 2021 2:56 AM

They really aged Harrison for this. He'd be about 12 in reality.

And Dexter's cop girlfriend bears a striking resemblance to his dead sister, which I'm sure is intentional.

Jennifer Carpenter looks like a skeleton now. I wonder if she's been ill.

by Anonymousreply 15November 8, 2021 4:50 AM

The actor playing Harrison is pretty hot. But how old is he supposed to be now? 20, 21? Seems like he was still a toddler when the original series ended.

by Anonymousreply 16November 8, 2021 6:00 AM

I would have preferred Season 6 of Six feet Under.

by Anonymousreply 17November 8, 2021 6:02 AM

[quote]The actor playing Harrison is pretty hot.

I would give him a handy.

by Anonymousreply 18November 8, 2021 6:23 AM

R18 he's a child dear, wait 5 more years at least

by Anonymousreply 19November 8, 2021 6:26 AM

The problem with Showtime series is that they let them go on for way too long. The same can be said for Weeds and QAF, which should've ended much, much sooner. At least HBO generally ends most of their series before they drag out and become stupid.

by Anonymousreply 20November 8, 2021 6:28 AM

OH yeah? Like Game of Throne or Big Little Lies R20?

by Anonymousreply 21November 8, 2021 6:32 AM

I said generally R21. Chill out.

by Anonymousreply 22November 8, 2021 6:35 AM

Very predictable, though I didn’t see a teenage Harrison coming.

by Anonymousreply 23November 8, 2021 6:38 AM

r20 6FU went out on a high note.

by Anonymousreply 24November 8, 2021 6:41 AM

r19 Sorry, I thought he was legal to receive handjobs.

by Anonymousreply 25November 8, 2021 6:42 AM

[quote] Very predictable, though I didn’t see a teenage Harrison coming.

Then I guess you didn't see the trailer? Cause he was in it.

by Anonymousreply 26November 8, 2021 11:56 AM

I did not see the trailer.

I think Harrison is too well-adjusted.

by Anonymousreply 27November 15, 2021 6:27 AM

I think Harrison will reveal a dark side soon and they will kill together.

by Anonymousreply 28November 15, 2021 9:05 AM

R21, most of criticism the GOT had was the opposite. It ended too soon and too fast as they run out of source material.

by Anonymousreply 29November 15, 2021 9:13 AM

Does it have another great opening credits sequence?

by Anonymousreply 30November 15, 2021 1:24 PM

No.

by Anonymousreply 31November 15, 2021 2:58 PM

Count me as another fan of the original opening and theme music.

They did use the other musical motif from the original, though, the one that's like creepy violin strains when he starts to go dark.

by Anonymousreply 32November 16, 2021 1:34 AM

So we’re going to be stuck in this “Northern Exposure”-esque world for the whole series?

by Anonymousreply 33November 16, 2021 7:50 PM

I fucking hate his Mamie Eisenhower hair. I don’t get why this is the way he is being styled. He looks like he should be holding a lollipop and wearing a beanie.

by Anonymousreply 34November 17, 2021 2:55 AM

So far it’s off to a slooowww start for me, maybe it’ll pick up when Lithgow shows up.

by Anonymousreply 35November 17, 2021 5:00 AM

It is off to a slow start for sure. I can see this going past one season because I don’t see how they satisfactory end this in 8 more episodes. It’s still good. I miss the opening music but they kept the closing music.

I also miss the location. The cold locale doesn’t help matters. The supporting characters aren’t as interesting. Harrison is going to be a curve ball. I have a feeling he has a dark passenger.

I’ll watch because it is still quality.

by Anonymousreply 36November 17, 2021 5:08 AM

I don’t know if it’s just me, but the color palette is so washed out, I almost had to adjust the color scheme on my tv to bring up the black level.

by Anonymousreply 37November 17, 2021 5:15 AM

So why did Harrison end up in a foster home when he had living grandparents on Rita's side? In fact his older brother and sister would probably be over 18 at this point as well. In most shows I'd regard that as suspicious but given its Dexter they could have equally just forgotten they exist. Jennifer Carpenter seems to be enjoying her role of screaming and shoving bullets in Hall. Must be pretty cathartic after the divorce.

by Anonymousreply 38November 17, 2021 2:29 PM

Didn’t John Lithgow’s character (Trinity Killer?) die during his season? He killed Harrison’s mom, Rita, right?

by Anonymousreply 39November 17, 2021 2:42 PM

Carpenter is really annoying.

by Anonymousreply 40November 17, 2021 4:28 PM

The Dexter backstory would have us believe that sitting in a pool of his mother’s blood after seeing her murdered is what triggered his dark passenger. Harrison also saw his mother killed and sat in her blood. But he was just an infant

by Anonymousreply 41November 17, 2021 4:31 PM

The second episode showed how producers have no idea what audiences want. We want Dexter finding and killing his victims and covering them up not his teenage son hanging out with other teens in a cabin.

by Anonymousreply 42November 17, 2021 4:33 PM

r41 Would they actually able to get away with "you saw your mother be brutally murdered and now your destiny is to murder prostitutes or whatever" nowadays? It felt moderately offensive in the mid 2000s never mind in the age of Twitter. I think I'd rather Harrison just be a troubled kid who went through the system rather than trying to sell that bullshit psychology Harry pulled from somewhere again.

by Anonymousreply 43November 17, 2021 8:33 PM

I watched Yellowjackets after Dexter and now I'm hooked on that. Christina Ricci is scary.

by Anonymousreply 44November 17, 2021 8:39 PM

Harrison’s dark passenger emerges?

by Anonymousreply 45November 22, 2021 6:15 AM

I enjoy the show!

Yes, Harrison is gonna be helping daddy kill now...you know the secret won't last.

He's super smart.

by Anonymousreply 46November 22, 2021 6:26 AM

R44 Two of my good friends created Yellowjackets. It's great, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 47November 22, 2021 6:26 AM

I loooove Yellowjackets! It’s so funny watching it alongside Dexter, which I like. But YJ is RIVETING!!

by Anonymousreply 48November 22, 2021 8:19 AM

R48 Yes, and the creators (a married couple) are great people. I've known them since they first moved to LA.

by Anonymousreply 49November 23, 2021 7:37 AM

For 10 episodes it has started off slow. It’s still a high quality/entertaining show.

by Anonymousreply 50November 24, 2021 11:44 PM

WTF is going on with Clancy Brown's character, he shoots and kills women for sport? Then drains their blood in what looks like a funeral parlor's embalming room? Isn't he supposedly the mayor?? They're looking for his missing son, who Dexter killed, but not looking for any missing women?

I missed the first episode of the re-boot.

by Anonymousreply 51November 25, 2021 12:22 AM

It's better than I had expected it to be. The contrast of the snowy, rural upstate New York setting to Miami of the original show is also interesting.

by Anonymousreply 52November 25, 2021 12:28 AM

r51 I don't think they've actually revealed who the killer is yet have they? I think most of the victims are meant to have been native women so the police just ignored their disappearance or travellers Bates Motel style.

by Anonymousreply 53November 25, 2021 12:32 AM

It seems a bit cheesy and forced and I certainly want Dexter to kill again.

I note that they are trying to be very inclusive in a tiny frozen town: blacks, Asians, gays, Native Americans and even a dancing parapalegic!

I’m not sure if I’m going to like Deb appearing if all she does is yell at him.

by Anonymousreply 54November 25, 2021 12:44 AM

[quote]I don't think they've actually revealed who the killer is yet have they?

The eyes showing behind the full face mask appear to be Clancy Browns's eyes. I'm very good with eyes.

by Anonymousreply 55November 25, 2021 1:09 AM

R54 all Deb did in the original run was yell.

by Anonymousreply 56November 25, 2021 1:27 AM

Is Jennifer Carpenter American-Indian? She sure looks it.

by Anonymousreply 57November 25, 2021 1:42 AM

Not sure but my friend saw her many years ago while on the way to work and she could be seen working out at crunch. She would be working out by the window and my friend said she was skin on bones. Very, very skinny.

by Anonymousreply 58November 25, 2021 3:20 AM

This looks like an alternate universe where they stayed married and day drunk Michael Hall, his anorexic wife Jennifer Carpenter, and their acting out teenage son all go to family counselling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 25, 2021 3:36 AM

I see it the same way, R51 R55. They said he owned half the town and I wondered if that included the funeral home and motel. The reason he lied about his son is because he can't afford police sniffing around anymore.

by Anonymousreply 60November 25, 2021 3:38 AM

Jennifer carpenter hasn't aged well.

by Anonymousreply 61November 25, 2021 3:09 PM

r61 Often the case with the unnaturally skinny.

by Anonymousreply 62November 25, 2021 10:02 PM

apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

by Anonymousreply 63November 28, 2021 9:38 PM

Jennifer looks the same to me.

I don’t believe Hannah is dead. Or she didn’t die of cancer.

Harrison may be there to kill Dexter and himself ending the family dark passenger.

It’s still too slow, but I’m enjoying it.

by Anonymousreply 64November 29, 2021 3:54 AM

So the mayor is going to kill another young woman? Yawnnnnn

by Anonymousreply 65November 29, 2021 6:47 AM

Pretty ballsy of Harrison to risk all on the police believing him over his friend so much that they do no forensics.

by Anonymousreply 66November 29, 2021 7:11 AM

I don’t think it is going to be as simple as Harrison has a dark passenger. Not sure what is going no with him. I have a feeling we are in for a l to of surprises coming up. Didn’t somebody say Trinity really isn’t dead which can’t be possible.

by Anonymousreply 67November 29, 2021 11:59 AM

Someone on another site said maybe Trinity will be Harrisons dark passenger which sounds like a hilarious dynamic I kind of want to see. Dexter has his sister being zany, and Harrison has his mothers murderer telling him to do his homework.

by Anonymousreply 68November 29, 2021 12:59 PM

Do you think the drone gift to Harrison is a way to implicate and/or link Dexter to the deaths of the women.

by Anonymousreply 69November 29, 2021 4:30 PM

If Kurt is kidnapping and killing these women, isn't talking to them at the diner and offering them jobs a pretty dumb way to avoid suspicion? Also, why are there so many runaways and transients in this random town in upstate New York?

by Anonymousreply 70November 29, 2021 5:15 PM

The original "Dexter" had multiple subplots involving the supporting cast; aside from Harrison's antics at school, this version doesn't, which may be why it seems so lethargic in comparison.

The pacing is just dreadful, and there's no real mystery. And we're 4 episodes in and Dexter has only made one kill. He used to do it weekly.

by Anonymousreply 71November 29, 2021 5:20 PM

[quote] The original "Dexter" had multiple subplots involving the supporting cast

Yeah. But they were terrible. Battista's restaurant, Quinn's mob trouble LaGüerta's everything. Only one that ever had anything entertaining going on was Masuka because it felt like he was being written by a horny teenager, and sometimes Rita and Deb because they had more to do with Dexter.

by Anonymousreply 72November 29, 2021 5:31 PM

Antics don’t leave pools of blood on the floor.

by Anonymousreply 73November 29, 2021 5:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!