Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Personal hygiene in the olden days

The colonial era, for instance. Thomas Jefferson was an elegant, erudite statesman, but can you imagine how dirty his ass must have been at any given point? Or how bad George Washington’s breath must have been with those nasty wooden teeth?

Gross.

by Anonymousreply 126November 12, 2021 4:39 AM

I hear Marie Antoinette had a nasty smelling coochie.

by Anonymousreply 1November 5, 2021 8:03 PM

That's what house slaves were for---providing hygiene to their 'masters'

by Anonymousreply 2November 5, 2021 8:04 PM

It was normal back then to be smelly. Since deodorant and toiletries were not available (as well as limited baths), the norm was to smell bad. Remember, you only become aware of something after you've experienced it. A blind person born blind don't really have a hard time being blind, because they don't know what it is to see.

by Anonymousreply 3November 5, 2021 8:08 PM

Apparently back in the day having rotten teeth was a sign of wealth and elegance. That meant you could afford sweets, which were a luxury back then^

by Anonymousreply 4November 5, 2021 8:11 PM

[quote] Since deodorant and toiletries were not available (as well as limited baths)

Why weren’t they available?

by Anonymousreply 5November 5, 2021 8:17 PM

The ancient Romans enjoyed bathing so likely Imperial Rome was not as smelly as early America.

by Anonymousreply 6November 5, 2021 8:18 PM

R5 Because supermarkets and pharmacies like CVS and Walgreens/Duane Reade weren't invented yet.

by Anonymousreply 7November 5, 2021 8:19 PM

R5 is retarded

by Anonymousreply 8November 5, 2021 8:34 PM

R5, because the plane didn’t make it to the distribution point for Walgreens, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 9November 5, 2021 8:39 PM

[quote](as well as limited baths)

Look up why it became a custom for weddings to occur in June, hence a June bride.

It’s not a pleasant story. Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 10November 5, 2021 8:41 PM

I wonder if Ben Franklin ever scratched his sweaty taint and then huffed his own raunchy man smell right off his chubby finger.

Just look at that brilliant scent pig. Oh yeah.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 5, 2021 8:43 PM

OP, you pus-riddled shit, what makes you think that slave-owning fuckers of their own half-black sisters-in-law such as Jefferson couldn't wipe his ass as well as anyone today?

Jefferson deserves reprobation, but not in matters of hygiene. Same with Washington, who only wore his show-teeth when social settings required it.

After all, despite the infamous rats of the White House and the slave labor that built it, it was George III who found a louse on his plate and had his footmen cut their hair off in response.

by Anonymousreply 12November 5, 2021 8:45 PM

And just imagine how bad the outside air smelled, with the horses randomly shitting on the streets.

Here in Boston, some very old homes still have the foot scrapers outside the front doors that visitors used to scrape horse feces off their shoes before entering.

by Anonymousreply 13November 5, 2021 8:47 PM

That’s cool, r13!

by Anonymousreply 14November 5, 2021 8:56 PM

About a week or two ago I came across this recent article on the "Sights, Sounds, and SMELLS of Elizabethan England."

Part 3 is on smells and covers personal hygiene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 5, 2021 9:00 PM

People probably cleaned their dirty parts, faces and hair with soap and water as needed, but didn't fill-up a whole bathtub full of water.

by Anonymousreply 16November 5, 2021 9:00 PM

Bathing once a month ??? I wonder if they were stiff with dirt and skin cells , how did they ever get into the bathrub ?

by Anonymousreply 17November 5, 2021 9:02 PM

So when was rimming invented? It must be recent. Or maybe it was a special treat reserved for bath day.

by Anonymousreply 18November 5, 2021 9:07 PM

I’m quite sure that George Washington’s mouth full of wooden teeth smelled like a beautiful pine forest.

by Anonymousreply 19November 5, 2021 9:15 PM

True. He didn’t even need one of those little trees for his car.

by Anonymousreply 20November 5, 2021 9:18 PM

I saw a magazine ad from the FIFTIES that tried to convince men that using underarm deodorant was not "sissy."

by Anonymousreply 21November 5, 2021 9:19 PM

Only those queers use deodorant.

by Anonymousreply 22November 5, 2021 9:26 PM

I think the U.S. military made Lifebuoy part of the regulation kit for soldiers during WW2. This got a lot of men thinking about how they smelled. I also remember my grandmother talking about the company's eyerolling ads on the radio where they'd make this loud and long "fog horn sound" with the letters "B.O."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 5, 2021 9:38 PM

You sho iz pahful musky!

by Anonymousreply 24November 5, 2021 9:38 PM

People have been practicing personal hygience since they knew how to build houses. OP is projecting and assuming that people might be as filthy as she is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 5, 2021 9:45 PM

In one of my Shakespeare seminars, my professor said it was common in Elizabethan England for chamberpots to be passed around at the dinner table, & guests would relieve themselves right at the table. Ick!

by Anonymousreply 26November 5, 2021 10:06 PM

Sounds convenient to me! Maybe we’ll try that this here turkey day.

by Anonymousreply 27November 5, 2021 10:08 PM

What is the Bunuel movie where everyone sits around the table on toilets doing their business, but hide away in little closets to eat?

by Anonymousreply 28November 5, 2021 10:23 PM

Let's head over to the shithouse to take a shit!

And pass the sponge. I need to wipe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 5, 2021 10:52 PM

[quote] Or how bad George Washington’s breath must have been with those nasty wooden teeth

Off topic but Washington did NOT have wooden dentures. [bold]His dentures were made from the teeth of slaves[/bold] among other non-wood things.

The lie about the "wooden teeth" is a prime example of whitewashing history because the fact that his dentures were made from slave teeth is very creepy in modern society - and how you gonna teach about what a great White man Washington was while all the students are eeked out over the fact he's going around sucking on slave-teeth-dentures in his mouth.

Along with human teeth, dentures in those days also could include horse/cow teeth, ivory, and various metals

Washington apparently paid the slaves for the teeth - as selling teeth to dentists for wealthy people's dentures was not uncommon back then, if that makes you feel any better. Receipts at link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 6, 2021 12:02 AM

OP - You've come to right place with this query, as many DLers can provide detailed first hand accounts.

by Anonymousreply 31November 6, 2021 12:07 AM

I bet most people in post-Roman-Empire "olden" days would make Cheryl smell fresh as a daisy in comparision.

by Anonymousreply 32November 6, 2021 12:18 AM

The myth of middle class people before the 20th century being dirty and smelly is largely just that - a myth. People did bathe regularly or at least sponged themselves off, and they easily made their own soap, starch, deodorant/antiperspirants etc.

And George Washington's teeth weren't made out of wood - they were made from human teeth, mostly his own slaves, as well as horses and cows - and his dental troubles weren't due to poor oral hygiene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 6, 2021 12:33 AM

That Mount Veron site says that he was buying the slaves' teeth for a dentist to make dentures, but not for himself.

by Anonymousreply 34November 6, 2021 12:35 AM

[quote]That Mount Veron site says that he was buying the slaves' teeth for a dentist to make dentures, but not for himself.

R34, it says it's unknown who the bought teeth were for - with this caveat:

"Since Washington paid for the teeth it suggests that they were either for his own use or for someone in his family."

by Anonymousreply 35November 6, 2021 12:42 AM

Thank you R35! The man had many dentures over the years and some of them had livestock teeth, so he certainly wasn't a purist about where the human teeth he wore came from. Either way, they weren't wood like the OP says.

by Anonymousreply 36November 6, 2021 12:44 AM

No, the site says:

[quote]If Washington had been purchasing the teeth for himself, there would have been no need for this information; the entries would have simply recorded the item and payment, as when Washington purchased poultry, wild game, fish, and garden produce from enslaved individuals.

by Anonymousreply 37November 6, 2021 12:59 AM

In "Orlando" there's a transition in which climate kills warm recreational bathing in favor of enveloping the body in layers of protection against shit and grime.

People assumed they had enough clothes on to mask personal odor. Kind of like your cousin Kurt who was always methy.

by Anonymousreply 38November 6, 2021 1:29 AM

Who wouldn't kill for the job title "Groom of the Stool"?

by Anonymousreply 39November 6, 2021 1:59 AM

R36, Notice there are no portraits of him smiling.

by Anonymousreply 40November 6, 2021 2:05 AM

Benjamin Franklin would take the 2 month cruise, the time it took to get from Philadelphia to London. Imagine what he must have smelled like when he got off the boat.

by Anonymousreply 41November 6, 2021 2:07 AM

People in modern times have the hygiene of a person from the 18th century. Modern day isn't doing better. Some people don't shower for days and stink up where ever they are so it doesn't matter.

by Anonymousreply 42November 6, 2021 2:39 AM

[quote]Why weren’t they available (toiletries and deodorant)?

Because Thomas Jefferson's estate at Monticello was not yet on Amazon's standard route.

by Anonymousreply 43November 6, 2021 4:13 AM

You'd have to be smell-blind to stand the olden days. Think of the horseshit everywhere in the cities.

by Anonymousreply 44November 6, 2021 4:34 AM

Even the royals smelled!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 6, 2021 5:42 AM

QE1 had chronic halitosis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 6, 2021 5:43 AM

Didn't people just shit inside their palaces and castles? I read that the Palace of Versailles was covered in shit in those days. Disgusting!

by Anonymousreply 47November 6, 2021 6:32 AM

In Medieval castles, there'd usually be a privy chamber (garderobe) and your poop would go down a shaft, which often led to the moat around the castle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 6, 2021 6:51 AM

My Polish grandfather(1876-1965) once told me that back in the old country, they used large maple leaves instead of toilet paper.

by Anonymousreply 49November 6, 2021 11:25 AM

R28 here you go. Bon appetite!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 6, 2021 12:17 PM

[quote] Here in Boston, some very old homes still have the foot scrapers outside the front doors that visitors used to scrape horse feces off their shoes before entering.

And yet they still didn’t take their shoes off before entering a home? White people 🤦🏻‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 51November 6, 2021 6:35 PM

Don’t forget they were all uncut !

by Anonymousreply 52November 6, 2021 7:47 PM

R52, Not if they were Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 53November 6, 2021 9:14 PM

Don't Muslims "recommend" it too.

by Anonymousreply 54November 6, 2021 9:25 PM

I bought Anne Frank's teeth.

by Anonymousreply 55November 6, 2021 9:40 PM

i've often wondered about it. i don't feel clean or "awake" unless i take a shower every day.

by Anonymousreply 56November 6, 2021 9:48 PM

Yeah r30 that SURE makes me feel better!

by Anonymousreply 57November 6, 2021 9:49 PM

Also popular were "Waterloo Teeth" made from the teeth of dead soldiers.

by Anonymousreply 58November 6, 2021 9:54 PM

The word is 'intact.'

And don't think because you've been mutilated that you smell like roses. You don't.

by Anonymousreply 59November 6, 2021 9:58 PM

I don't know about most people, but the smell of a healthy, mostly-clean man with b.o. is erotic.

by Anonymousreply 60November 6, 2021 10:02 PM

Well, when I was just a tad, sonny-boy OP, we usta waddle on over to La Brea and flop around in them there tar pits to dislodge any parasites. Then I'd shuffle over to the beach for a nice sand bath and a meaningful talk with the brain in my tail.

by Anonymousreply 61November 6, 2021 10:04 PM

When the colonials did take a bath, the families shared the bath water.

by Anonymousreply 62November 6, 2021 10:07 PM

So they conserved water. How very green of them.

by Anonymousreply 63November 7, 2021 12:03 AM

What's old is new again!

by Anonymousreply 64November 7, 2021 12:33 AM

[quote] How very green of them.

That and their teeth.

by Anonymousreply 65November 7, 2021 12:38 AM

Elizabeth I wore poisonous lead and mercury makeup and left it on for weeks at a time.

by Anonymousreply 66November 7, 2021 12:43 AM

Ugh. No mouthwash or dental floss. No rectal douching before anal. Dingleberries EVERYWHERE! No cures for STDs/hemorrhoids. HOW IN THE HELL DID THEY EVER HAVE THE GAY BUTTSEX?!?! So glad I'm a 21st Century fag...

by Anonymousreply 67November 7, 2021 12:47 AM

What is the cure for hemorrhoids? I heard the aftermath of surgical removal is painful.

by Anonymousreply 68November 7, 2021 12:50 AM

r47 People used to pee in the hallways of Versailles.

by Anonymousreply 69November 7, 2021 1:15 AM

Oral sex was simply out of the question.

by Anonymousreply 70November 7, 2021 1:19 AM

[quote]I read that the Palace of Versailles was covered in shit in those days.

There were passageways behind the walls that connected rooms. People would take craps in them.

Imagine the smell in summer.

by Anonymousreply 71November 7, 2021 1:21 AM

R58, And today we have organ donors.

by Anonymousreply 72November 7, 2021 1:35 AM

At least a lot of these unhygienic people had the good sense to die young!

[quote] From the 1500s onward, till around the year 1800, life expectancy throughout Europe hovered between 30 and 40 years of age.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73November 7, 2021 1:39 AM

The 45th President of the United States was rumored to be a germaphobe. Yet routinely shit his pants.

by Anonymousreply 74November 7, 2021 1:42 AM

Someday people will look back on this era in shock that not everyone had a bidet.

by Anonymousreply 75November 7, 2021 2:01 AM

Nowadays we have the opposite problem, people act like you need to a shower everyday when or 3 times a week is more than enough.

by Anonymousreply 76November 7, 2021 2:32 AM

^single

by Anonymousreply 77November 7, 2021 2:35 AM

Snuff was very important in olden times. If you came across a foul smell, you would simply fill your nostrils with a pleasant scent. This was handy because people would dispose of their human waste out their windows and into the walkways of the main thoroughfare. I’ve always wondered how the upper classes maintained their finery. You couldn’t bear those fabrics against rocks in the river. Was there dry cleaning in Elizabethan England?

by Anonymousreply 78November 7, 2021 2:55 AM

R76 The smegma king.

by Anonymousreply 79November 7, 2021 3:02 AM

As recently as the 1950s/1960s, bathing once a week was considered routine.

Madison Avenue convinced Americans that they should bathe every day and use deodorants, after shave lotions, colognes, etc.

by Anonymousreply 80November 7, 2021 3:41 AM

[quote] Don’t forget they were all uncut !

Why were they all uncut?

by Anonymousreply 81November 7, 2021 3:42 AM

After coming from this post to watching A Christmas Carol I bet Ebenezer Scrooge smelt all sorts of rank! It's a good thing he got to air those nuts out flying around London town in just a nightshirt.

by Anonymousreply 82November 7, 2021 5:11 AM

R80 so you're saying because your grandparents bathed once a week that it was ok? Hopefully we KNOW better nowadays. Bathing daily is a lot more than about body odor... It's therapeutic, it gets rid of dead skin cells and exposure to latent parasites. People exercise more and are healthier because of it and need to bathe/shower afterwards. Yes building your immunity to the elements is paramount but considering that, in general, life expectancy is longer today than it was back then, I'd say the modern way is doing SOMETHING better than back then. I hope I never run into your reek-ful self.

by Anonymousreply 83November 7, 2021 12:29 PM

R83, Easy, Mary . . .

Only a total moron would believe that dead skin cells and parasites form overnight or even in two or three days.

Any dermatologist will tell you that bathing/showering is bad for your skin. It dries it out, especially in winter months.

Of course one would shower more in the summer months, plus there is swimming then.

As recently as the 1960s, there were minimal choices for deodorant and deodorant soaps, unlike today.

Men used Right Guard and women used Secret for deodorants, while Ivory, Dial and Zest were all one could find for deodorant soaps.

by Anonymousreply 84November 7, 2021 2:10 PM

R73, I believe that is an incorrect interpretation: life expectancy was low because so many children died young - thus why families had five or more kids, most were expected to die in their youth. But if you lived to adulthood, surviving all those childhood diseases, you had a good chance to make it to your 60s or 70s.

by Anonymousreply 85November 7, 2021 2:28 PM

R60, I once hooked up with a construction worker just after he got off his shift; he stank of sweat and it was magnificent!

by Anonymousreply 86November 7, 2021 2:30 PM

[quote] At least a lot of these unhygienic people had the good sense to die young!

Not exactly. As explained in the linked article:

[quote] Unhygienic living conditions and little access to effective medical care meant life expectancy was likely limited to about 35 years of age. That’s life expectancy at birth, a figure dramatically influenced by infant mortality—pegged at the time as high as 30%. It does not mean that the average person living in 1200 A.D. died at the age of 35. Rather, for every child that died in infancy, another person might have lived to see their 70th birthday. Early years up to the age of about 15 continued to be perilous, thanks to risks posed by disease, injuries, and accidents. People who survived this hazardous period of life could well make it into old age.

by Anonymousreply 87November 7, 2021 2:42 PM

[quote]The 45th President of the United States was rumored to be a germaphobe.

He also fucks random hookers without a condom.

by Anonymousreply 88November 7, 2021 3:46 PM

[quote] Don’t forget they were all uncut !

[quote]Why were they all uncut?

Because Staples was out of the good scissors, Rose!

by Anonymousreply 89November 7, 2021 4:55 PM

Actually, they would have stripped washed every day using a basin, cloth and a jug. They were not nearly as disgusting as people today would believe.

by Anonymousreply 90November 7, 2021 5:08 PM

"... the families shared the bath water."

aka Ass Soup

by Anonymousreply 91November 7, 2021 5:09 PM

When Captain Cook went to Hawaii, he wore the same long underwear he had purchased for living in England. And wore it for months without having it washed.

by Anonymousreply 92November 7, 2021 6:13 PM

R92, Did he turn his underwear inside out?

by Anonymousreply 93November 7, 2021 7:46 PM

Some people can't smell themselves.

by Anonymousreply 94November 7, 2021 9:18 PM

Such a shame to live in Hawaii with all that ocean water around and never wash your drawers. Was Capn' Cook retarded or just that fuckin trifflin?

by Anonymousreply 95November 7, 2021 11:07 PM

Captain Cook's nickname was "Captain Crusty Pants."

by Anonymousreply 96November 8, 2021 9:54 PM

R96, The original "Captain Crunch".

by Anonymousreply 97November 8, 2021 10:29 PM

Washington and Jefferson lived in mini-palaces in colonial America. Washington was the equivalent of a billionaire.

For shitting and bathing at Monticello, see the attached link. He aspired to "French manners" (having a convenient toilet in his mansion) but seems like he didn't achieve it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98November 8, 2021 10:50 PM

Did women stink - down there????

by Anonymousreply 99November 8, 2021 10:50 PM

Washington's shitter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100November 8, 2021 10:51 PM

Very instructive Frau explains Washington's bathing habits. Short, informative video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101November 8, 2021 10:53 PM

R100, why is it a three-person toilet? Why did these go out of style and now it’s mostly one-person toilets?

by Anonymousreply 102November 8, 2021 11:00 PM

^uh, because they nasty?

by Anonymousreply 103November 8, 2021 11:07 PM

Then why wasn’t it nasty then?

by Anonymousreply 104November 8, 2021 11:10 PM

Is there some reason that a toilet couldn't be built and located above a babbling brook, stream, or river, even? If they could build bridges, then they could do this. Build it and they will com...,er shit.

by Anonymousreply 105November 8, 2021 11:11 PM

Your house would flood and there would be an outbreak of typhoid down stream.

by Anonymousreply 106November 8, 2021 11:14 PM

well there is no stream crossing the Mount Vernon grounds. Also, they weren't stupid. Why pollute a water source that is necessary to the daily operations of their plantations?

"night soil" was a bit of a science and waste management system unto itself and generally avoided WATER.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107November 8, 2021 11:15 PM

Did Washington make big doo doos?

by Anonymousreply 108November 9, 2021 12:02 AM

There are many articles on how much more hygienic Native Americans were compared to the invaders.

by Anonymousreply 109November 9, 2021 12:21 AM

I saw a picture on Shorpy of tenements built over a bridge. You could see where the toilets were located by the stains that went down the side of the building into the river.

by Anonymousreply 110November 9, 2021 12:25 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111November 9, 2021 12:26 AM

Something the OP (scat troll) needs badly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112November 9, 2021 12:29 AM

“At Home” by Bill Bryson gets into a lot of grooming and plumbing history.

Really good book.

by Anonymousreply 113November 9, 2021 12:37 AM

As someone who grew up in the 1960s (I was 5-14 year old), I remember kids in my neighborhood, which was average, white, middle-class in a major American city, talking about bathing only on Saturday night. Yes--bathing once, maybe twice a week. My family only had two kids and we bathed everyday, or maybe skipped a day here and there--but it was never just once a week. That was in the '60s (not all that long ago) when people did not bathe everyday. I remember a "sponge bath" was a common term. You washed yourself at the bathroom sink but didn't take a shower or bath. It's the way it was.

And bathing more than once a day was almost unheard of unless you worked out at the gym which wasn't all that common 50-60 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 114November 9, 2021 12:54 AM

[quote] ^uh, because they nasty?

This tickled me so!

😂

by Anonymousreply 115November 9, 2021 11:30 AM

I wonder how bad the flooding was, and it typhoid was a problem. Dumb, right?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116November 9, 2021 11:36 AM

Everyone’s ass must have stunk!

by Anonymousreply 117November 9, 2021 2:32 PM

I can smell old world Russia from my house.

by Anonymousreply 118November 10, 2021 8:24 PM

It's a pity Mrs Patrick Campbell (ADBA "Erna") didn't live centuries ago, despite rumors that she looked as if she did.

Waste would have been removed efficiently and bottoms would have been clean as a whistle.

by Anonymousreply 119November 10, 2021 11:37 PM

I wonder. What did women do during menstruation? Someone Google it and report back, please. I'm tired. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 120November 10, 2021 11:58 PM

A hemorrhoidectomy is the gold standard. It's the total cure. The bad news is after the anesthetic wears off it really hurts, but the good news is you get prescribed the biggest oxycodone tablets you could ever have imagined. After a week you won't need them much or at all.

by Anonymousreply 121November 11, 2021 12:15 AM

When I handed my prescription to the pharmacist he looked shocked and said "Come back in 2 hours. I have to make a phone call".

by Anonymousreply 122November 11, 2021 12:24 AM

Ladies could order their sanitary belts and napkins from Sears Roebuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123November 11, 2021 3:47 AM

R119, Her chamber pot would have sold for a small fortune on eBay.

by Anonymousreply 124November 11, 2021 6:32 AM

[quote] What did women do during menstruation? Someone Google it and report back, please. I'm tired.

You’re tired? Hell, I’m scared. I don’t want to see [bold]any[/bold] Google results for women’s menstruation. Jaysus.

by Anonymousreply 125November 11, 2021 3:44 PM

Menustration huts.

by Anonymousreply 126November 12, 2021 4:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!