Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ahmaud Arbery trial coverage

I’m off work today and caught the prosecution’s opening argument. Anyone else?

Seems like this defense is hoping to rely on technicalities and being in Georgia to get these defendants off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 24, 2021 5:44 PM

[quote] Seems like this defense is hoping to rely on technicalities . . . to get these defendants off.

Um hello. Welcome to the normal world of defense work. And if this upsets you I suggest you avoid any of the details of the "Central Park Five" case.

by Anonymousreply 1November 5, 2021 4:42 PM

I do get that R1, especially when there’s video and damning characterizations right from the defendants mouths. The defense can only work with what they have.

And while I appreciate your concern, I’m not upset.

Did you watch any of the opening arguments? You seem to have some expertise, what did you think?

by Anonymousreply 2November 5, 2021 4:48 PM

They fucking got up on their truck bed's toolbox and hunted his ass like those shitty south Georgia swamp rednecks chase and shoot deer. Same technique. The whole thing is filthy and I hope they rot.

by Anonymousreply 3November 5, 2021 5:01 PM

This is MURICA. If they get off, I'll be sad, but not surprised

by Anonymousreply 4November 5, 2021 5:04 PM

The video evidence is horrific and damning.

by Anonymousreply 5November 5, 2021 5:14 PM

R2, sorry I'm watching the Rittenhouse trial. I would like to watch both - I'll try to catch some youtube clips. There are only so many hours in the day. Damn!

R5, that's when you argue the law.

by Anonymousreply 6November 5, 2021 5:37 PM

If they get off, look for riots. This is obvious first degree murder.

by Anonymousreply 7November 5, 2021 5:38 PM

These racist shit stains need to be found guilty.

by Anonymousreply 8November 5, 2021 5:40 PM

The body cam video of the officer who determined he was beyond saving was horrific.

by Anonymousreply 9November 5, 2021 11:28 PM

A HLN analyst said the police cam videos showed officers treating the scene like a car accident, not a homicide. Accurate characterization, as I didn’t see any indication they even attempted to secure the known shooter or the weapon. Checks out with how they didn’t even think to arrest these men until the outcry over the leaked the video.

by Anonymousreply 10November 5, 2021 11:42 PM

The defence attorney is quite polished, other than the monitor mishap resulting getting admonished by the judge (I'm assuming that guy in the light blue suit who moved the screen was from the defence). On presentation, he's doing a better job than the prosecuting attorney (he even casually shaded her employment of PowerPoint). He's painting a very "sympathetic" picture of Travis McMichael. He's in the Coast Guard, so he has the ability to make arrests, etc. Satilla Shores is portrayed as a once "idyllic" community that has recently fallen prey to a barrage of property crimes. Ahmaud Arbery is depicted as a suspicious trespasser who had no right to be on the property the five different times he has gone on the property. The attorney is rather slick about how he paints Arbery as "a threat," without outright appearing like a victim-blamer. The way he keeps using the word "plunder" in regards to Arbery is disingenuous, though. Plunder equates to stealing, which Arbery hadn't committed.

Listen, I don't know why Arbery was there. He quite honestly had an inquisitive nature and wanted to observe the progress of the construction of this house (hence the visits spaced a month apart over five months). Maybe he was daydreaming about home ownership for all I know (he lived with his mother). Perhaps he mostly chose night-time, because that is when people would leave him alone (keep in mind that he was killed the one time he chose to go during the daytime). Sure, he was technically "trespassing." Who fucking cares. I've done it. It's not something to be shot and killed over.

Anyway, based on the opening arguments, coupled with the jury being almost all white, I am a little weary. Perhaps unnecessarily so, I dunno. George Zimmerman was "attacked," whereas these three dumbasses can't hide behind that. There's also video of Arbery's murder. The whole "right" to assume that everyone in this country is armed at all times when making decisions makes me feel so uneasy. If he is found not guilty, it will be really scary.

by Anonymousreply 11November 6, 2021 12:59 AM

Verdict is in. Better be effing guilty!!

by Anonymousreply 12November 24, 2021 5:30 PM

They better find these racist jackasses guilty.

by Anonymousreply 13November 24, 2021 5:34 PM

Got them.

by Anonymousreply 14November 24, 2021 5:43 PM

ALL GUILTY!!

by Anonymousreply 15November 24, 2021 5:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!