Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"House of Gucci" Reviews Official Thread

Lets all discuss the reviews of this much awaited movie starring our beloved entertainer and mother monster of millions, Lady Gaga.

The movie is currently being screened for the first time, in LA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223August 20, 2022 8:47 PM

Apparently the screening just got over. Reviews will start pouring in. Brace up, guys.

by Anonymousreply 1November 4, 2021 4:33 AM

I hope it is good. I really, really like the trailer.

by Anonymousreply 2November 4, 2021 4:40 AM

🙄 [italic] We're Waiting . . . . .

by Anonymousreply 3November 4, 2021 4:48 AM

Gaga thinks it’s good.

by Anonymousreply 4November 4, 2021 5:03 AM

Am I the only one that completely didn't recognize her in the trailer? I had to look up who was in the film and I was like "no, that's not Gaga." But, in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 5November 4, 2021 5:09 AM

When can I stream the shit out of this?

by Anonymousreply 6November 4, 2021 5:11 AM

It was rather reductive. Look it up, fags!

by Anonymousreply 7November 4, 2021 5:19 AM

I can’t imagine how much Madonna must hate Lady Gaga, especially because she is respected in the industry in a way Madonna desperately wanted to be. It’s sad she didn’t take on a more supportive role since they are a lot alike.

That said, I would not doubt a duet someday (if Madonna lives longer than Tony Bennett).

by Anonymousreply 8November 4, 2021 5:40 AM

It's it supposed to be a comedy? I saw the trailer and laughed my ass off.

by Anonymousreply 9November 4, 2021 5:54 AM

Gaga has the career Madge always dreamed of. I'm sure G is learning from M's mistakes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 4, 2021 5:55 AM

B U M P

I look forward to watching it with my dogs!

by Anonymousreply 11November 4, 2021 5:55 AM

In your dreams, R10. Lady Gaga has a fraction of the money Madge has and will never achieve the same popularity. So she's a better actress. Big deal. Madge's musical career completely eclipses Gaga's.

by Anonymousreply 12November 4, 2021 6:05 AM

It does for sure, R12. Madonna is the biggest female pop star ever. No doubt.

But Gaga is still one of the most successful artists of the last decade or so. And because she can really sing and play? There's no reason to believe she can't stay in the spotlight for the next 20 years if she wants. Doing all sorts of different projects. From jazz to broadway to pop to americana (like A Star is Born music).

And it looks like she can be a Cher and act in major movies if she wants. With A list directors and talent. Oh, and people who work with Gaga tend to love her. Madonna can't say that now can she?

Gaga is just fine.

by Anonymousreply 13November 4, 2021 6:57 AM

With a charmless, unendearing, sociopathic personality, Madonna is like the anti-Dolly Parton. There’s nothing left to like now.

by Anonymousreply 14November 4, 2021 2:04 PM

Not a word online. Not a good sign.

by Anonymousreply 15November 4, 2021 2:31 PM

" I’m not dismissing her but “Gucci” primarily struck me as an ensemble film, and for my money the standout performances come from Al Pacino, Jared Keto, Adam Driver (restrained, modest) and Jack Huston. It’s not a bad film but it feels a bit tepid, careful, drawn-out, and certainly not operatic. It just keeps plugging away in a just-the-facts, relentlessly dialogue-driven, no-crazy-or-tricky-stuff manner, and it doesn’t ever kick in with anything that could be called over the top or boiling or nutso in a Faye Dunaway-as-Joan Crawford fashion. "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 4, 2021 2:42 PM

r12, insecure people rather nurture their envy than appreciate what they have accomplished.

by Anonymousreply 17November 4, 2021 2:43 PM

I've seen the trailer of this movie a few times and it didn't appeal to me at all. No plans to see it.

by Anonymousreply 18November 4, 2021 2:47 PM

This lady is dedicated to her craft!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 4, 2021 3:01 PM

r14: Thats a very clever and astute comparison, and r13 states the facts eloquently.

Gaga's most recent accomplishment is co-starring in "House of Gucci".

Madonnas is playing dress-up for Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 20November 4, 2021 3:01 PM

Sure, R20. I'm sure Gaga will have a very active singing or acting career at 63.

by Anonymousreply 21November 4, 2021 3:10 PM

Apparently, the film is a boring letdown, and Gaga gives the weakest performance of the cast. It's no Best Picture contender.

Key takeaway from a critic at the screening: "I’m sorry but as “good” and steady and respectable as it is, “Gucci” feels like a bit of a letdown. I’m not panning it, but it didn’t really get my blood going. The under-35s will be bored stiff.”

by Anonymousreply 22November 4, 2021 3:11 PM

When an awards season title doesn’t debut at the major fall festivals it means it sucks. It’s that simple. Gaga sounds like a total amateur out of her depth if she needed to stay in character for 18 months.

by Anonymousreply 23November 4, 2021 3:14 PM

Remember when people claimed A Star Is Born is a total clusterfuck and it turned out to be a pretty decent commercial and critical success?

by Anonymousreply 24November 4, 2021 3:24 PM

Nope. Star is Born word of mouth and festival performances were stellar. Bradley cared about that movie. Ridley Scott is a boomer who churns them out like slop butter.

by Anonymousreply 25November 4, 2021 3:26 PM

I admire Gaga for stretching as a thespian.

by Anonymousreply 26November 4, 2021 3:28 PM

The Thanksgiving release date just screams bomb.

by Anonymousreply 27November 4, 2021 3:29 PM

The Thanksgiving release date just screams turkey.

by Anonymousreply 28November 4, 2021 3:30 PM

Yes, R27 and R28, most studios dump their movies on Thanksgiving weekend when they want to bury them. That's why Frozen 2 and Knives Out were released over Thanksgiving in 2019.

by Anonymousreply 29November 4, 2021 3:42 PM

[quote]When an awards season title doesn’t debut at the major fall festivals it means it sucks.

None of the eventual Oscar nominees debuted at the fall festivals this year. Having said that, House of Gucci sounds disappointing. I think Leto and Pacino could get Oscar noms, but that's it.

by Anonymousreply 30November 4, 2021 3:44 PM

R29 didn't understanding that R28 turned R27's post into a Thanksgiving pun (i.e. using "turkey" instead of "bomb" was more clever.)

R29 lacks finesse.

by Anonymousreply 31November 4, 2021 3:48 PM

It looks fantastico! A role MADE for our ragazza Stefani! Years ago it would have been given to Marisa Tomei.

by Anonymousreply 32November 4, 2021 3:53 PM

Lady Gaga, Adam Driver, Jared Leto, Jeremy Irons, Salma Hayek, and Al Pacino.

Yeesh, none of these people are known for their nuanced acting, except for Jeremy Irons. Plus, this is going to Paramount + 30 days after release and that is a graveyard. It would have worked better as a limited series on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 33November 4, 2021 4:08 PM

Jeremy Irons? Nuanced?!?

by Anonymousreply 34November 4, 2021 4:11 PM

Disappointed but not surprised by the reviews. This is Ridley Scott outside his natural forté. A movie like this needed a Martin Scorsese or Paolo Sorrentino.

by Anonymousreply 35November 4, 2021 4:16 PM

Gucci, Dune and The Eternals have all failed to impress the critics. I hear that Belfast is really disappointing, as well. Spielberg seems to be holding off screening West Side Story for critics till the very last minute.

by Anonymousreply 36November 4, 2021 6:50 PM

R36: Don't Look Up is probably a shitshow as well. Very little talk so far + the hybrid release format = a possible DiCaprio flop long overdue.

by Anonymousreply 37November 4, 2021 6:58 PM

Delicious takedown of Stefani's Method aspirations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 4, 2021 7:01 PM

I love review threads that have no reviews.

by Anonymousreply 39November 4, 2021 7:15 PM

Yes, exactly what reviews are you folks talking about?

by Anonymousreply 40November 4, 2021 7:27 PM

That's guardian article isn't very funny unfortunately. It's a bit dumb. Re cut the movie Ridley before it's too late!

by Anonymousreply 41November 4, 2021 7:42 PM

R37, DLU has gotten glowing reactions from everyone who's seen it so far. Same for King Richard. Paul Thomas Anderson's Licorice Pizza screens this weekend. Some good buzz about Being the Ricardos, especially Nicole Kidman's performance. Haven't heard much about Nightmare Alley, or that weird Lady MacBeth movie with Denzel and Frances.

by Anonymousreply 42November 4, 2021 9:28 PM

Is it pronounce "House of Goose-y"?

by Anonymousreply 43November 4, 2021 9:31 PM

You can tell she really wants the Oscar

[quote]“It was nearly impossible for me to speak in the accent as a blonde,” Gaga continued. “I instantly had to dye my hair,

[quote]“I only felt that I could truly do this story justice if I approached it with the eye of a curious woman who was interested in possessing a journalistic spirit so that I could read between the lines of what was happening in the film’s scenes. Meaning that nobody was going to tell me who Patrizia Gucci was. Not even Patrizia Gucci.”

Quite the journalistic spirit of...only reading the script and doing no other research

This is the same interview where she says if she weren't an actress (you aren't) then she would've been a combat journalist, and that she looked around the Capitol looking for signs of the insurrection when she performed at the Inauguration

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 4, 2021 9:37 PM

No, R43. Fashionistas pronounce it "Guckey", rhymes with "lucky".

by Anonymousreply 45November 4, 2021 9:38 PM

Gaga is making all the right steps in career. She embrace of showtunes and choosing the right movies. Madonna is still trying to project herself as a whore.

by Anonymousreply 46November 4, 2021 9:51 PM

She is an actress. She is an Academy Award nominated actress. All her trolls should say that out loud.

by Anonymousreply 47November 4, 2021 9:51 PM

House of Gooskey?

by Anonymousreply 48November 4, 2021 9:51 PM

Madonna couldn’t even get cast on Fame.

by Anonymousreply 49November 4, 2021 9:53 PM

I will star in House of Poosay. Orange husband will guest star in the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 4, 2021 9:53 PM

Lady Gaga, like Pia Zadora, is the proud recipient of a Golden Globe Award.

Sit on THAT, haterz!

by Anonymousreply 51November 4, 2021 9:55 PM

Was she in character when her dogs were stolen?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 4, 2021 9:56 PM

My friend felt her accent sounded Eastern European or Russian? I am undecided.

by Anonymousreply 53November 4, 2021 10:05 PM

During her press tour for the film, Gaga said “there can be cento persone in la sala, and maybe novantenove don’ta believe inna you …”

by Anonymousreply 54November 4, 2021 10:13 PM

"Maybe there will be a hot soundtrack?"- he asked hopefully.

by Anonymousreply 55November 4, 2021 10:16 PM

According to comments on Twitter, reviews are embargoed until Tuesday (11/9).

by Anonymousreply 56November 4, 2021 10:21 PM

Yeah, I read that too R56. One reviewer (an actual reviewer, not a stan who hates/loves Gaga) from CineMovie, who was the screening last night, accidentally released his review (and has since taken it down). Said Gaga delivered one of the year's best performances. I think he said the movie was entertaining, but a bit long.

Take that for what you will.

by Anonymousreply 57November 4, 2021 10:30 PM

That will give critics time to come up with fun way to mock Lady Gaga’s accent.

by Anonymousreply 58November 4, 2021 10:38 PM

[quote] Jeremy Irons? Nuanced?!?

You have no idea.

by Anonymousreply 59November 5, 2021 3:12 AM

Some of y'all are realllllly stupid. Reviews of the film are under embargo. That's why they're not published yet. It's not an indication of the quality of the film. I know someone who has seen it and is not a Gaga fan, but said she's quite good in it and so is Jared Leto.

by Anonymousreply 60November 5, 2021 3:17 AM

So we've had "House of Gucci" , "The Devil Wears Prada", "The Assassination of Gianni Versace" ...will Armani be next?

by Anonymousreply 61November 5, 2021 3:30 AM

The look on Salma Hayek's face as she's having mud smeared on her is priceless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 5, 2021 3:42 AM

r25 Ridley is a boomer? He's 83.

by Anonymousreply 63November 5, 2021 3:47 AM

[quote] Is it pronounce "House of Goose-y"?

It's "GUCK-ee."

by Anonymousreply 64November 5, 2021 4:17 AM

I love to call a spade a spade and I am not a Gaga fan, but she is an abolsute natural. She looks stunning it this. I forgot it was even Gaga just watching the second trailer. She will get a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 65November 5, 2021 5:36 AM

Are they screening House of Gucci to the public at the Academy Museum? I'll see it this week if it's open to the public.

by Anonymousreply 66November 5, 2021 5:43 AM

It’s the first of a planned trilogy. I hear they are already filming House of Pucci and House of Fiorucci.

by Anonymousreply 67November 5, 2021 6:22 AM

So stupid, R67.

by Anonymousreply 68November 5, 2021 7:00 AM

both starring Stanley Tucci and Susan Lucci

by Anonymousreply 69November 5, 2021 11:36 AM

Halston. Gucci. Fiorucci.

He looks like a still. That man is dressed to kill.

by Anonymousreply 70November 5, 2021 11:53 AM

Oh, sweetie r66 a prescreening at the Academy is NOT open to the public

by Anonymousreply 71November 5, 2021 6:23 PM

Those who were at the screenings are giving it mostly raves on Twitter (but not officially reviewing the film, as per the embargo). Gaga and Leto seem to be getting the most praise.

But who knows how accurate that will turn out to be.

by Anonymousreply 72November 5, 2021 6:30 PM

27% on Rotten Tomatoes. It's a bomb!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73November 6, 2021 12:40 AM

R72 Those people are always overly enthused. It’s part of the game.

by Anonymousreply 74November 6, 2021 1:27 AM

Gaga probably has an army of PR hacks who are each posting hints and secret raves all over Twitter. When will she start spewing the "100 people in a room" garbage again? It's only a matter of time.

by Anonymousreply 75November 6, 2021 1:34 AM

I want to see House of Lucci, set on the night of the Daytime Emmys when Sarah Michelle Gellar won the award for playing Erica’s daughter and La Lucci didn’t. And she tries to get her Austrian husband Helmut Huber to hire an assassin to “eliminate” SMG.

by Anonymousreply 76November 6, 2021 1:41 AM

R76 Ryan Murphy should make that instead of all the shit he does.

by Anonymousreply 77November 6, 2021 1:52 AM

I want to see a biopic on the life of Charo. It would be called House of Cuchi-Cuchi.

by Anonymousreply 78November 6, 2021 1:59 AM

Bitch stole my act.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79November 6, 2021 2:01 AM

I don't understand Gaga's accent in this film. Why doesn't it sound Italian?

by Anonymousreply 80November 6, 2021 2:02 AM

How about a movie about the life of Mussolini? House of Il Duce.

by Anonymousreply 81November 6, 2021 3:35 AM

They are making a movie out of Joan Collins' autobiography. It will be called House of Hoochie.

by Anonymousreply 82November 6, 2021 3:37 AM

I'm waiting for The Devil Wears Magnums

by Anonymousreply 83November 6, 2021 4:09 PM

The first reactions are coming in and, as usual, the DL haters are wrong. Gaga is still in the running for a second best actress nod.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84November 9, 2021 10:47 PM

R84, yeah Gaga is getting raves.

What's hysterical is that their have been a couple of bad reviews which sort of stick out like a sore thumb. Seems a few resourceful Little Monsters on Twitter uncovered that every negative Gaga review (so far) was written by closet (or not so closet) Madonna fans! Haha.

Just cracks me up. The Madonna/Gaga feud is real, folks. It's real.

by Anonymousreply 85November 9, 2021 10:59 PM

More...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86November 9, 2021 11:20 PM

What role will she conquer next?

Big Ang in a Big Ang biopic?

(And what will it be called? Haus of Big Ang?)

by Anonymousreply 87November 10, 2021 12:51 AM

Personally, I hope that the Academy nominates Lady Gaga (and Will Smith); they need superstar nominees in popular films to bring back viewers.

by Anonymousreply 88November 10, 2021 1:00 AM

Oh, dear! Gaga's acting is as bad as Madonna's....

Sad to report House of Gucci is not good. At times you wonder if it's Ridley's first pass at an edit. More disappointing? Lady Gaga is bad. Not even CAMP good. There are moments when she's simply dead behind the eyes. Reminded of Madonna in Body of Evidence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89November 10, 2021 1:41 AM

Personal reviews by non-professional reviewers don’t count, you insipid twats.

Wanna know what the critics will think? Keep an eye out for Rex Reed. If that queen doesn’t rip the shit out of the thing, than you know it’s got something going for it. Unfortunately for her, I think the real reviewers are gonna have a field day with Gaga’s campy performance and absurd “Eye’talian accent”.

by Anonymousreply 90November 10, 2021 1:45 AM

R89, you're quoting the reliably unreliable Gregory Ellwood, who thinks The Eternals is the greatest film ever made.

by Anonymousreply 91November 10, 2021 1:54 AM

Bitch stole my act.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92November 10, 2021 2:22 AM

R89 that's the reviewer who the Little Monsters outed as a Madonna fan/reviewer and avowed Gaga hater!

I can't believe a professional "journalist" would resort to that shit. On the DL? Sure. It's all in good fun here. But how silly to let your own hatred of a pop star alter your damn movie review.

by Anonymousreply 93November 10, 2021 3:10 AM

[quote]that's the reviewer who the Little Monsters outed as a Madonna fan/reviewer and avowed Gaga hater!

Well, he also trashed Madonna in the same tweet.

by Anonymousreply 94November 10, 2021 3:14 AM

When I saw the trailer I wondered if Gaga's character was going to be spending half of the movie trying to thwart Moose and Squirrel.

by Anonymousreply 95November 10, 2021 4:15 AM

Looks from the red carpet. Salma looks like she needs a nap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96November 10, 2021 8:07 PM

I wonder if how slow this thread is moving hints toward this being a bit of a letdown. The reviews I have read are truly mixed. It can't be worse than something Ryan Murphy would put out...could it?

Not a Gaga fan, but anything that chaps Madge's hide is good for my soul, so I'm rooting for her getting another nomination.

by Anonymousreply 97November 10, 2021 8:25 PM

Why does GaGa's face look so wide now? Not just in the movie, the pics on the red carpet recently.

by Anonymousreply 98November 20, 2021 6:30 AM

[quote] From jazz to broadway to pop to americana (like A Star is Born music).

R13 is trying to explain what Americana is 🤣🤣🤣

by Anonymousreply 99November 20, 2021 6:43 AM

R97, the reviews seem to be some version of: It's an uneven film that's too long, but great fun, and a wild ride.

The acting (Gaga and Leto especially) seems to be universally praised.

No idea if that means it's losing steam or not.

by Anonymousreply 100November 20, 2021 8:04 AM

The NY Post reviewer has already indicated that he won’t be giving her a good review. He said that one of the actresses being characterized as an Oscar front runner is “prosciutto on the slopes.”

by Anonymousreply 101November 20, 2021 2:36 PM

Another bad review.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102November 23, 2021 3:06 AM

^^^ And that reviewer is gay and appreciates camp (he's on the VOTD extras) and would have appreciated it if it was well done camp.

by Anonymousreply 103November 23, 2021 3:07 AM

If Gaga is as good of an actress as some are claiming then it's too bad that she and Madonna couldn't morph together to make someone with looks, talent and business smarts. Take Madonna's (younger) head, Gaga's (thinner) body, Madonna's business and musical savvy with Gaga's voice and musicianship.

by Anonymousreply 104November 23, 2021 3:28 AM

I dont understand, there are multiple accents in that trailer. And Adam Driver doesnt seem to be speaking with an accent.

by Anonymousreply 105November 23, 2021 3:37 AM

That ny post writer hates gaga because she performed at the inauguration. He’s a Republican psycho.

by Anonymousreply 106November 23, 2021 4:25 AM

So far it's 68% on RT, which is good but not a slam dunk by any means.

by Anonymousreply 107November 23, 2021 5:53 AM

The New Yorker on Lady Gaga:

[quote]Her performance is an unusual one, all forceful gesticulations and high-relief inflections; she’s not expressively complex in repose except through the flaming power of her furiously fixed gaze, which is the movie’s dominant visual trope. Given her lack of extensive theatre training, though, the accent shtick leaves her at an inherent disadvantage beside her co-stars. [bold]She sounds somewhat like Natasha from “Rocky and Bullwinkle.”[/bold] I can’t get out of my head Patrizia’s response to Rodolfo when he asks about her interests: I’m a “pipple pleaser,” she says.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108November 23, 2021 6:02 AM

R107 that feels about right.

Four of my good friends went to an LA screening. They loved the acting (even two avowed Gaga haters said she killed it) but said the script was all over the place and the third act drags and drags.

All said Gaga deserves a nom, maybe Leto. But that's it. The film was good overall, great in parts, worth seeing in the end, but not Oscar caliber.

So about 68%

by Anonymousreply 109November 23, 2021 6:03 AM

So bad, it's amazing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110November 23, 2021 1:24 PM

This is from an actual long term critic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111November 23, 2021 1:32 PM

A brutal take-down from the New York Post

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112November 23, 2021 2:56 PM

Now 67% on RT. The needle starts to drop as more mediocre-to-bad reviews trickle in.....

by Anonymousreply 113November 23, 2021 4:00 PM

How much lipstick can they slap on this pig of a movie?

by Anonymousreply 114November 23, 2021 7:11 PM

That Suzanne Sugarbaker hair makes her face look heavy.

by Anonymousreply 115November 23, 2021 9:32 PM

John Waters needs to make another movie just so he can put Gaga in it.

by Anonymousreply 116November 24, 2021 12:32 AM

RT now at 66%. Slowly creeping downward.....

by Anonymousreply 117November 24, 2021 12:37 AM

R95 that TOTALLY WINS THIS THREAD !!!!!!!!!!!!! STILL LAUGHING !!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 118November 24, 2021 1:06 AM

RT 62% and dropping! This is a train derailing in slow motion right before our eyes.

by Anonymousreply 119November 24, 2021 11:06 PM

IndieWire keeps updating their predictions for the Oscars. They divide into 3 categories: Front Runners; Contenders; Long Shots. Their caveat is always "Only films I have seen will be deemed frontrunners.

For Best Supporting Actor, they've included Jared Leto/House of Gucci as a Front Runner, so they've clearly seen the film.

For Best Actress then, Gaga is a Contender, not even a Front Runner.

Yes, I admit I can't fucking stand Gaga. Hate her music but most of all I just can't stand her phony, disingenuous self. She's so full of shit all the time.

by Anonymousreply 120November 25, 2021 12:48 AM

A lot of people hate her because she supports the gay community and Joe Biden. Their loss. She's talented and commits100% to everything she does.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121November 25, 2021 12:59 AM

It has the same RT rating as Ghostbuster: Afterlife, but with a lower audience rating. It appears that Gucci is a flop with both critics and audiences.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122November 25, 2021 1:39 AM

RT 61% now. It's going down, down, down....

by Anonymousreply 123November 25, 2021 2:45 AM

She's coming out with the most pretentious bullshit to try and convince people she's some kind of serious actor.

by Anonymousreply 124November 25, 2021 10:29 AM

Saw it last night and enjoyed it.

Salma Hayek was my fave as the crazy cat lady tarot reader.

by Anonymousreply 125November 25, 2021 11:20 AM

The best I’ve heard so far: “The Gagafather”

by Anonymousreply 126November 25, 2021 1:15 PM

To sum it up: it has the exact look of All the Money in the World (also directed by Ridley Scott), while it strives to be like the iconic and glitzy Casino but plays like an off-Broadway knockoff and mashup of Goodfellas, Moonstruck & Fatal Attraction.

The cinematography was horrendous and dreary, the set decoration & locations were horribly cold, Leto was chewing the scenery playing his character like he was an Italian Willy Wonka, Driver was stiff as a board (as usual), Gaga tried her best but couldn’t get beyond her Botox & fillers to emote properly and you never see her NOT acting. The only surprise is that Pacino didn’t swallow the entire picture whole and manages to restrain himself.

This film should have been made in 1999 by Martin Scorsese with Marisa Tomei in the Gaga role, Paul Giamatti for Leto, Isabella Rossellini for Hayek, Nicolas Cage for Driver and Danny Aiello for Pacino.

by Anonymousreply 127November 26, 2021 6:48 AM

And the "Times" finally weighs in:

The kindest thing I can say about “House of Gucci” — and also the cruelest — is that it should have been an Italian movie. Set mostly in Milan, it spins out a sprawling, chaotic, borderline-operatic tale of family feuding, sexual jealousy and capitalist intrigue, with plenty of drinks, cigarettes and snacks (the carpaccio comes highly recommended). Also cars, shoes, hats, sport coats, handbags, dresses, lingerie — whatever you want!

But for all that abundance, something is missing. A lot of things, really, but mostly a strong idea and a credible reason for existing. The true story of how the Gucci family lost control of the company that still bears its name — and of how its scion, Maurizio Gucci, lost his life to a hit man’s bullets — could have inspired Bernardo Bertolucci to heights of decadent spectacle, Luchino Visconti to flights of dialectical extravagance or Lina Wertmuller to feats of perverse ideological analysis. The raw material plays as tragedy and farce at the same time.

The actual director, Ridley Scott, possesses ample style and impressive craft, but at least this time around seems to be lacking the necessary vision or inspiration. (His underrated “All the Money in the World” was a tougher, tarter treatment of similar material.) The script, by Becky Johnston and Roberto Bentivegna (based on Sara Gay Forden’s book), has a repetitive, wheel-spinning quality. Most of the scenes consist of Guccis yelling at other Guccis — in Milan and New York, amid the Alps and near a lake, in hotels and conference rooms and villas and cafes. The shouting, in heavily accented English, lasts from the early ’70s to the mid-90s, and you can tell what year it is by scrutinizing the clothes and haircuts. For a while it seems like the music cues (David Bowie, Eurythmics) might also help, but at some point in the ’80s the playlist gets scrambled.

About those Guccis. You’ve heard of ham? Well, this is a family-size salumi platter. Adam Driver is relatively restrained as Maurizio, who as a law student meets Patrizia Reggiani at a party, where she charmingly mistakes him for a bartender. She comes from a less exalted family — her father owns a small trucking company — and she is played by Lady Gaga with the verve of an Anna Magnani avatar in a Super Mario video game.

This is fun for a while — the movie is more than two and a half hours long — and Gaga and Driver have an interesting chemistry. Maurizio is quiet and a little passive, but Patrizia nudges him toward a bolder idea of himself. He defies his aristocratic father, Rodolfo (an impeccable, sepulchral Jeremy Irons), who regards Patrizia as a social climber and a gold digger. He isn’t altogether wrong, but Maurizio marries her anyway, and finds brief happiness working for his in-laws, trading in his cut-to-measure suits for proletarian coveralls. He plays soccer and horses around with the other drivers and mechanics during lunch break until Patrizia summons him to the office to attend to his conjugal duties. It’s pretty hot stuff.

But as the mood shifts from sex comedy toward loftier, more somber matters — money, loyalty, family honor — “House of Gucci” manages to become both overwrought and tedious.

Etc.

by Anonymousreply 128November 26, 2021 6:53 AM

[quote] Madonna must hate Lady Gaga,

Madonna's hate for Lady Gaga is what happens when an elder Italian woman hates a younger, similar version of herself. I've seen this many times before -- it's not uncommon.

by Anonymousreply 129November 26, 2021 6:53 AM

The soundtrack makes it feel like a jukebox musical.

by Anonymousreply 130November 26, 2021 7:01 AM

Another day, another point down on RT. 60% and falling……

by Anonymousreply 131November 26, 2021 3:17 PM

Another day, another R131 turd plops out of your asshole.

by Anonymousreply 132November 26, 2021 4:33 PM

Who is paying to see this nearly 3 hour film? Fraus?

by Anonymousreply 133November 26, 2021 4:48 PM

It's 2 hours 38 minutes. Can you count?

by Anonymousreply 134November 26, 2021 4:50 PM

Yes. I can count all the painful moments of boredom.

by Anonymousreply 135November 26, 2021 4:51 PM

You can always get up and leave. That would be helpful.

by Anonymousreply 136November 26, 2021 4:53 PM

Saw it Wed night and I really wanted to like it. This is an amazing story that could make for a great film. This film, however, is a mess. The timeline and editing are a disaster (good luck figuring out what decade or country any given scene is in). It looks like 2-3 different movies spliced together. The beginning drags. It does get really good toward the middle when they start showing the machinations that turn the uncle/cousin and then the cousins against one another, but then the end is a rushed mess.

Gaga is good, she has some excellent scenes but some that feel silly. I think it a better film she would have been great. Driver is excellent, Pacino is mostly good but also has some scenes where he comes across as silly. Leto is over the top awful.

You get a glimpse of Tom Ford’s reinvention if the label and now I want to see THAT movie.

by Anonymousreply 137November 26, 2021 5:03 PM

^Forgot to add, Irons is good but he feels like he’s in a different movie. Like they CGIed him in, the vibe is so different.

by Anonymousreply 138November 26, 2021 5:05 PM

If Leto gets a nomination or wins an Oscar for this shitshow I’ll join up with Jada and starting tweeting #OscarsSoWhite

by Anonymousreply 139November 26, 2021 5:06 PM

R138 Irons appears to have directed himself

by Anonymousreply 140November 26, 2021 5:07 PM

That's perfect. You're both insufferable cunts.

by Anonymousreply 141November 26, 2021 5:08 PM

Didn't Fallucci want Lora Meredith to play Raina?

by Anonymousreply 142November 26, 2021 5:08 PM

Just got back from seeing it. A wildly uneven film, with the script and direction trying to find a balance between heightened melodrama and campy comedy, but it never does, with the result that you don't feel anything when it's over. And what's with all the pop songs used anachronistically? "On The Radio" and "Faith" get played years before their release, while "Heart of Glass" drops in years after it was released.

Lady Gaga is undeniably a charismatic performer and you can't take your eyes off her in the film, but it never struck me as a particularly deep performance; Driver sleepwalks through the film, Irons presumably thinks he's doing some serious West End play, while Pacino, as usual, hams it up with excessive glee.

However, I have to admit I loved Jared Leto in this: providing the film's best laughs, he's a jolt of energy whenever he appears.

by Anonymousreply 143November 27, 2021 12:24 AM

The only thing I've ever liked Gaga in. Seriously. I turned against her after AHS Hotel. She is fucking phenomenal in this movie.

I enjoyed it overall, but man, that runtime is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 144November 27, 2021 6:51 AM

It inched back up one point on RT to 61%! It’s a Christmas miracle!

by Anonymousreply 145November 27, 2021 3:31 PM

Just saw it. Hideous screenplay, packed with howlers (her share of which Gaga belts to the back row). Adam Driver alone emerges unscathed (even saddled with a sex scene with Gaga that rivals Elizabeth Berkley in the pool with Kyle MacLachlan in SHOWGIRLS). Jared Leto is horrifingly shameless and should be shot at dawn.

Comments that this is like ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD without the nuance, narrative drive and strong acting are spot on.

by Anonymousreply 146November 27, 2021 9:21 PM

Howch of Goose-y

by Anonymousreply 147November 27, 2021 9:26 PM

Tom Ford has thoughts.

[quote]“I often laughed out loud, but was I supposed to?”

[quote]“At times when Al Pacino as Aldo Gucci and Jared Leto as his son Paolo Gucci were on screen, I was not completely sure that I wasn’t watching a Saturday Night Live version of the tale,”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148November 27, 2021 10:27 PM

R148

[quote]Despite his criticisms, Ford does compliment a number of the film’s performances and offers emotional reflections on the film. While “Leto’s brilliance as an actor is literally buried under latex prosthetics,” the filmmaker and fashion designer calls Salma Hayek — who plays Giuseppina “Pina” Auriemma — “great” and dubs Jeremy Irons, who portrays Maurizio’s father Rodolfo Gucci “terrific” thanks to his “far more restrained and layered performance than his on-screen relatives.”

Who he doesn't mention is interesting.

by Anonymousreply 149November 27, 2021 10:31 PM

I liked Hayek, too.

She knew it was a comedy and played it perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 150November 28, 2021 2:00 AM

The House of Omicron will kill this movie at the box office.

by Anonymousreply 151November 28, 2021 2:19 AM

And Ridley Scott will blame millennials

by Anonymousreply 152November 28, 2021 2:40 AM

[quote]Who he doesn't mention is interesting

In the full piece for Air Mail Ford mentions Gaga and Driver.

As the on-screen Maurizio, Adam Driver, the leading man of the moment, gives a subtle and nuanced performance. He is the calm in the eye of the storm that swirls around him as his fellow actors all battle to see who can chew up the most scenery.

But the true star of the film for me is Gaga. It is her film, and she steals the show. In her often over-the-top portrayal of Patrizia Gucci, her accent migrates occasionally from Milan to Moscow. But who cares? Her performance is spot-on. Her face is the thing that one can’t take one’s eyes off of. When she is on-screen, she owns the frame—not an easy task with so many seasoned and talented cast members vying for our attention.

by Anonymousreply 153November 28, 2021 2:46 PM

Saw it yesterday... not horrible, not great. Not sure why all the rave reviews for Gaga. Totally overrated. Deniro and Leto stole the show in my opinion.. And Driver just played his usual quirky self but with an accent.

As mentioned, there are so many holes in the plot I only found out after googling a bunch of shit afterwards. The most surprising is that Mauricio and Patrizia actually had two daughters. Like why leave one out all together?! So weird.

by Anonymousreply 154November 28, 2021 3:29 PM

I never really "fell" into it. It never stopped being Gaga and Adam in good clothes with funny accents. It's kind of inert emotionally and it doesn't really look that good.

by Anonymousreply 155November 28, 2021 3:36 PM

Why is modern cinema so "amateur hour" nowadays?

by Anonymousreply 156November 28, 2021 3:38 PM

Ain't it the truth R156!

by Anonymousreply 157November 28, 2021 4:49 PM

Why are Republicans so amateur hour these days? They have no policies, just trolling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158November 28, 2021 4:52 PM

[quote]Not sure why all the rave reviews for Gaga

Because critics are scared of her obsessive fans coming after them. Same reason the likes of Taylor Swift, Beyonce, etc are almost universally praised despite their work not deserving it.

by Anonymousreply 159November 28, 2021 5:12 PM

Haven't seen the film but I did see Gaga on Colbert - what has she done to her face? Is that what MAX BOTOX looks like?

by Anonymousreply 160November 28, 2021 6:20 PM

R158 thinks she's Nancy Drew. (But she's actually just the asshole everyone ignores in real life.)

by Anonymousreply 161November 28, 2021 6:20 PM

Saw it. The movie is a mess on every level. Its like they didn't bother to edit it. Still mildly entertaining if you shut your brain off.

by Anonymousreply 162November 28, 2021 6:26 PM

Loved it but, like many great films, you have to ride it out to the end. It's epic. Variety compared it (lightly) to "The Godfather" and they are not wrong. Put the bitchbites away for a bit and go for the ride.

by Anonymousreply 163November 28, 2021 6:32 PM

Howch of Goose-y

by Anonymousreply 164November 28, 2021 6:38 PM

OMG!!! The audiences have responded so positively!!!

Meanwhile, despite headlines about the Omicron virus, adults finally found their way to the cinema with United Artists Releasing-MGM’s House of Gucci building the best opening for a drama in the last two years at the box office with $14.2M over 3-days and $21.8M over 5, the last being Sony’s Little Women over Christmas 2019 ($16.7M 3-day, $29.2M 5-day).

Women showed up at 59%. The takeaway from House of Gucci for the industry: We need more tentpole films like this for women, and for older adults.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165November 28, 2021 6:48 PM

Well here's what Variety actually said, I'll let people decide for themselves if R163 was being disingenuous or not

[quote]“House of Gucci” is modeled fairly directly on “The Godfather,” and as soon as you say that it can sound like you’re making some ridiculous undue claim for it. I’m not saying that it’s in that league as a movie. (What is?) But the greatness of “The Godfather” was, in part, the way it navigated the hidden shoals of power, and “House of Gucci,” which is a kind of fashionista Godfather Lite, is a sophisticated true-life tale about the way that power actually works: in a business empire, in a family, among people who are supposed to be looking out for each other.

by Anonymousreply 166November 28, 2021 7:38 PM

[quote]The most surprising is that Mauricio and Patrizia actually had two daughters. Like why leave one out all together?!

I wondered that too; I can only assume that the daughter in the movie cooperated in some way with the book/movie while the other did not. Whatever the case, they seem to be living the uber rich life in Switzerland. Whatever one might say about Gaga, she gave her all in this movie, while Adam Driver seemed embarrassed to be there at all.

by Anonymousreply 167November 28, 2021 8:26 PM

I found the fake Italian accents extremely grating and ridiculous. If you are not doing a movie with an Italian cast, what was the purpose of it, besides making it appear like an ethnic stereotype SNL skit from the 80s or a Mel Brooks directed parody?

by Anonymousreply 168November 28, 2021 8:33 PM

[quote] We need more tentpole films like this for women, and for older adults.

Next up: Jennifer Lopez in a remake of Madame X.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169November 28, 2021 9:10 PM

[quote]Deniro and Leto stole the show

Pacino?

by Anonymousreply 170November 29, 2021 12:11 AM

From. the article at R152:

[quote]In her often over-the-top portrayal of Patrizia Gucci, her accent migrates occasionally from Milan to Moscow. But who cares? Her performance is spot-on.

Which is it, Tom? Is her performance over-the-top with an uneven accent, or is her performance spot-on? That makes no sense. Just another rabid gay boy fan, fawning over Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 171November 29, 2021 12:13 AM

I meant the article at R153

by Anonymousreply 172November 29, 2021 12:15 AM

[quote]Ridley Scott is a boomer who churns them out like slop butter.

Ridley Scott was born in 1937. He's not even close to being a Boomer.

by Anonymousreply 173November 29, 2021 12:17 AM

Is Tom Ford a professional film critic now or something?

I like Gaga’s new fat face.

by Anonymousreply 174November 29, 2021 12:59 AM

Accents ranked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175November 29, 2021 1:46 AM

Won’t this $75 million movie be lucky to make $40 million? I am sick of them promoting it.

by Anonymousreply 176November 29, 2021 2:05 AM

It made $21 million in 4 days. Let’s see how it does moving forward.

by Anonymousreply 177November 29, 2021 2:10 AM

The slick feel of the digital video cinematography looks like something that should be on Netflix, not in a theater.

by Anonymousreply 178November 29, 2021 2:14 AM

R175 Given she claimed she lived as the character for 18 months and spoke with the accent for 9 of them, you'd expect better than that.

If Scott refused to do the obvious and cast Italians, then he should've just done what The Death of Stalin did and had American/Brits use American/British accents, but ones which are chosen to convey their character's traits.

by Anonymousreply 179November 29, 2021 5:19 AM

Gaga is Italian.

by Anonymousreply 180November 29, 2021 5:57 AM

Stefani Germannazi is Italian?

by Anonymousreply 181November 29, 2021 11:42 AM

[quote]Gaga is Italian.

[quote]Germanotta was born into an Italian American family in New York City.

New York City is in Italy now? I know some Americans have this odd obsession with being anything other than American, but no she wasn't Italian. And god knows, her attempt at an accent in this film proves that.

by Anonymousreply 182November 29, 2021 5:20 PM

She is very clearly from an Italian family. Her original face is super Italian.

by Anonymousreply 183November 29, 2021 7:38 PM

I most admit I am really glad it's doing well and audiences are enjoying with a B+ score. But this is data lounge. People will go around and around justifying their irrational hatred of Gaga or well anything really. Get ready for reviewers scared of her fans and the gays having no taste. And when she is nominated, well she went to all the parties. The BO? Well it won't quite be enough will it? I don't like some celebrities either but I won't twist myself into a pretzel to justify it.

by Anonymousreply 184November 29, 2021 8:06 PM

R183 But her accent isn't.

by Anonymousreply 185November 29, 2021 8:11 PM

If you compare footage of the real Patrizia (at around the same age) and Lady Gaga's performance, the voice, diction and cadence are very similar. She did a great job. Not an impersonation, it's her total commitment that makes it work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186November 29, 2021 8:34 PM

Gaga fans can keep claiming that, but saying it doesn't make it true. Even the dialect coach for Salma Hayek for this film has criticised Gaga's accent saying it sounds more Russian than Italian.

by Anonymousreply 187November 29, 2021 8:37 PM

The accent is correct. But actually somewhere on DL, even after someone posted a similar comparison, The person said the cadence was wrong. And then they said well it's not consistent. Honestly facts will not sway people but I admire the effort.

by Anonymousreply 188November 29, 2021 8:39 PM

No. Just no, R169.

That would be a crime against humanity.

How about a remake of Pocketful of Miracles with JLo as Apple Annie?

by Anonymousreply 189November 29, 2021 9:23 PM

OMG, if there was any movie worthy of being crapped in, it’s House of Gucci. Terrible reviews and 2:40 runtime.

by Anonymousreply 190November 29, 2021 9:58 PM

Let’s go through star by star. How do you think Lady Gaga did?

First of all, I’ll say this, that her lines that she had in Italian were actually the best of any of the other actors. She really nailed the lines that were in spoken Italian. That kind of sways me to believe that there was a little more intention with her accent, because I see that she has a command of the language itself and that she understands the mechanics and definitely put some effort and time into it. A lot of the time she really gets the vowel sounds correct. You have to kind of slow down and pronounce each one the way they’re pronounced in Italian. For example, when she said, [using an accent] “I get bored”: The vowels were all executed perfectly. The other thing in that line are the Rs. If you can’t roll or trill your Rs in Italian, you’re going to sound American no matter what. She did a very good job of trilling, I would say almost all of, her Rs. For reference, Rs in Italian are made the way you pronounce the letter D in English. Your tongue just kind of lightly taps the gumline above your front teeth, whereas with Rs in English, it’s more guttural, in the back of your mouth.

by Anonymousreply 191November 29, 2021 10:31 PM

An Italian dialect coach who said Gaga issue was she didn't over gesticulate like Italians do and she said she was inconsistent. Bit was the best one. Don't know what the dialect coach was in about but there you go. This article was in slate

by Anonymousreply 192November 29, 2021 10:38 PM

Also it was Salmas dialect coach- who has been criticised for her accent. It was not Gagas coach.

Her accent got a lot of attention when Salma Hayek’s dialect coach from the film said she thought Lady Gaga sounded more Russian than Italian. What did you make of that?

I think that that criticism might be in part due to some of the vowels not being crystal clear. I can see where there’s something going on with some of the vowels, maybe the I sounds, where there’s a little bit of a fluctuation in the vowel sound that can give it the kind of sounds you get in Russian. But it didn’t sound like a Russian accent to me. It sounded like a unique, not exactly standard Italian accent. There was a kind of a uniqueness to it, which perhaps is based on the original Italian dialect that her character in real life spoke. I don’t think it sounded Russian per se.

by Anonymousreply 193November 29, 2021 10:46 PM

Those pesky facts!

by Anonymousreply 194November 29, 2021 10:47 PM

If you have to explain it, maybe it was just a shitty performance.

by Anonymousreply 195November 29, 2021 11:04 PM

[quote]It was not Gagas coach.

Did she even have one?. Or did she think dying her hair (she said she couldn't speak in the accent as a blond, which is so ridiculously pretentious) and living with some random Italian woman would be enough. Christ, this is the same person who said she didn't do any research beyond reading the script.

by Anonymousreply 196November 29, 2021 11:49 PM

I don't think Gaga's accent was so bad, though I confess I'm no expert - the one that was completely ridiculous was Jared Leto. Driver was okay & Huston & Jeremy Irons didn't really seem to try.

At the end of the day, I don't think the problem with the movie was the accents; it was that the story was all over the place, way too long & spend way too much time on the Leto character when all viewers really needed to know was that he was a vain idiot that that was duped into aligning with Driver, who eventually threw him under the bus.

by Anonymousreply 197November 30, 2021 9:38 AM

The producers of the movie must be PISSED at Salma and her stupid dialect coach for saying this. Can they sue her?

by Anonymousreply 198November 30, 2021 9:44 AM

Leto just has one bad scene where he sounds like Mario and Luigi (both).

by Anonymousreply 199November 30, 2021 5:18 PM

I don't understand how an Italian American woman who grew up in New York can get an Italian accent so wrong. It sounds 100% Russian...wtf is wrong with her? And whoever said the digital look of it makes it seem like a Netflix movie is correct.

Gaga, like Madonna, should stick to music and dance.

by Anonymousreply 200November 30, 2021 6:54 PM

Oh I didn't explain it. The dialect expert did.

by Anonymousreply 201December 1, 2021 7:50 PM

Howch of Goose-y

by Anonymousreply 202December 2, 2021 1:47 PM

The photos from the premieres are interesting; Gaga is hanging all over Driver while he just stands there & stares off into space.

by Anonymousreply 203December 2, 2021 2:00 PM

Driver is trying to see past his nose......it's hard, I tell ya.

by Anonymousreply 204December 2, 2021 4:28 PM

The combined shadows of Driver's and Gaga's noses could freeze the moon.

by Anonymousreply 205December 2, 2021 4:36 PM

Ryan Murphy would have made a better job of this over 4 hours on Netflix.

Saw the movie this afternoon and it was far more than a slog than it needed to be. I dozed off in the first third and thought I'd dozed off again as the split between Gaga and Driver seemed to come from nowhere.

The performances were all so varied it was like they were all filmed apart and then edited together. And the accents were just hilarious. Gaga is so intense and over the top she reminded me of Fiona Shaw in The Black Dahlia. She doesn't just chew the scenery she digests it, shits it out and redecorates the set with some very dedicated faecal smearing.

The hair and make up was hilarious - the black panda eyes they gave Jeremy Irons to make it obvious HE IS PRACTICALLY DEAD, to go with the coughs to SIGNAL THAT HE IS ALMOST SOON TO BE PRACTICALLY DEAD made me roll my eyes.

French and Saunders did it much better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206December 3, 2021 3:01 PM

I am a Gaga super fan but was cautious. I have to say she absolutely killed this role. She owned this movie and I’m near certain she’ll get a BA nomination. She IS the entire movie and holds her own with some heavy hitters. Good for her.

Also, Adam Driver is just so damn sexy in this movie and gave a great performance as well. His will be underrated because it’s so understated but good for him.

by Anonymousreply 207December 3, 2021 4:34 PM

Gaga just won Best Actress at the New York Film Critics!

by Anonymousreply 208December 3, 2021 4:35 PM

Proof:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209December 3, 2021 4:37 PM

She was great. All the haters are full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 210December 3, 2021 4:37 PM

I mean it's pretty cool she won. Does that mean she will get an AA nomination though?The best actress race is so competitive this year. Someone big is going to miss out. Who will it be especially if west side story muscles in on BA race as is predicted? Tbh the AA this year look to be really interesting. No clear favourites.

by Anonymousreply 211December 3, 2021 4:41 PM

Another sign that New York has gone crazy. Was this award paid for?

by Anonymousreply 212December 3, 2021 4:43 PM

Calm down troll. Maybe next year you'll win a prize.

by Anonymousreply 213December 3, 2021 4:46 PM

I nominate R212 for biggest Everything Is Bought and Paid For Crybaby.

by Anonymousreply 214December 3, 2021 4:48 PM

Tell that to the New York's critics face sweetie.

by Anonymousreply 215December 3, 2021 4:48 PM

Tom Ford writes about Maurizio Gucci:

[quote] He was straight as far as I know, but would spend hours in the afternoons locked in his office with his decorator and often disappeared for weeks at a time on his boat with the man.

Who's the decorator?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216February 4, 2022 8:42 AM

I finally watched this movie today. The reviews put me off from seeing it in the theatre but I decided to give it a whirl since it’s up on Amazon Prime.

I don’t understand the middling reviews. I thought this movie was an absolute masterpiece. In fact, I would wager that in time; it will be reevaluated in a much more favorable light. I won’t go into my views as to why the reviews are so off the mark, because you will likely roll your eyes, but mark my words, in ten years, after we have had some distance from the times in which we currently live, and the characters who dominate these times, this film will receive proper credit.

I also thought Lady Gaga was excellent. Was it the best performance ever buy a woman in the film? No, it was not. Certainly it was in the top 20 percent. And I am not a fan.

A couple of other observations:

Jared Leto was the only weak link in this movie for me. It is indeed like he is another movie from everyone else.

The guy who plays the Gucci consigliere Dominic De Sole is EXTREMELY attractive. One of the most attractive men I have ever seen. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 217August 20, 2022 8:33 PM

Why on Earth are you attempting to resurrect a thread about that mediocre movie, R217?

Get thee to the nearest grease fire!

by Anonymousreply 218August 20, 2022 8:35 PM

Oh and one last thing. I had never heard the Tracy Chapman / Luciano Pavarotti collaboration that closes the film prior to today. So when I heard the opening chords to the song as the movie closes out, it was a real “what the fuck?” moment. Until Pavarotti comes in in the middle of the first verse. My jaw hit the floor, my God, the contrast was absolutely beautiful and the way the whole things come together is just truly sublime.

Again, a masterpiece. I loved this film.

by Anonymousreply 219August 20, 2022 8:42 PM

This movie was SO boring.

by Anonymousreply 220August 20, 2022 8:42 PM

A "masterpiece," R219? Oh, my sides!

Jared Leto alone killed any chance of that.

by Anonymousreply 221August 20, 2022 8:43 PM

Jared Leto is indeed the weak link but it wasn’t nearly enough to ruin the film for me. It was just a hammy performance in the midst of several incredible performances.

Pacino wasn’t great either. But I can accept both.

by Anonymousreply 222August 20, 2022 8:45 PM

You're very magnanimous, R222.

by Anonymousreply 223August 20, 2022 8:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!