Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hamlet (1996)

This is THE Hamlet. I wish more directors would be brave enough to take a full text of Shakespeare's play and adapt it as a film.

Every shot is absolutely fabulous to view. The production design is top notch. Branagh moved the setting to late 1800's Denmark and it works very well. Placido Domingo sings the end credits to Patrick Doyle's beautiful score.

Kenneth Branagh leads an international cast of all-stars. Derek Jacobi is a marvelous Claudius. He is better than Branagh! He himself was the defining Hamlet of the 1970's.

The supporting cast is superb too: Julie Christie makes her comeback as nurturing Gertrude, Nicholas Farrell is a great Horatio, Michael Maloney as sexy Laertes, Richard Briers as Polonius is hilariously sinister, Rufus Sewell is savage god as Fortinbras, Brian Blessed is a stoic ghost, but a very young Kate Winslet as Ophelia steals the show.

The cameos are where it gets tricky. Charlton Heston and Rosemary Harris as the Player King and Queen are great! I never knew Heston was such a thespian! (Definitely better here than in 1970's Julius Caesar).

John Mills, Judi Dench, Richard Attenborough, and Sir JOHN GIELGUD all make blink-and-you-miss-it appearances. Timothy Spall, Recee Dinsdale, Gerard Depardieu, Simon Russell Beale, Ken Dodd, and Billy Crystal make fun of their small parts.

Jack Lemmon is the weakest link in the cast. However, if Lemmon is the weakest link of the movie, then it is practically perfect!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 20, 2022 3:24 AM

plays... about storytelling, about what it means to tell a story, about tropes, about actors, about the structure of theatre, about [lapses into coma, trails off]

by Anonymousreply 1November 1, 2021 2:55 PM

It was oddly leaden. As ever, Branagh is a fine actor, and middling director.

by Anonymousreply 2November 1, 2021 2:58 PM

I couldn't get onboard with Branagh's bleached-out hair. It was too "Elvira Madigan" for my liking.

by Anonymousreply 3November 1, 2021 3:12 PM

Late 1800s? I thought it was more mid 1800s.

All I can say is Shakespeare was very wrong to give Rufus Sewall so few lines, and at the very end of the play.

by Anonymousreply 4November 1, 2021 3:19 PM

Overblown.

Olivier did it better decades earlier.

by Anonymousreply 5November 1, 2021 3:22 PM

As a gayling who was obsessed with Branagh - I loved this.

by Anonymousreply 6November 1, 2021 3:23 PM

R5 Olivier focused too much on the Oedipus complex, which is no where to be fond in the text.

I think Olivier is one of the greatest actors of all time, but I think Branagh's Hamlet and Henry V and McKellen's Richard III are better adaptations than his.

by Anonymousreply 7November 1, 2021 3:42 PM

[quote]Olivier focused too much on the Oedipus complex, which is no where to be fond in the text.

Fuck you, R7!

by Anonymousreply 8November 1, 2021 4:34 PM

R8 It is true and you know it!

by Anonymousreply 9November 2, 2021 8:26 PM

I thought it was fabulous, overblown style and all. One can love both this and the Olivier - a completely different take. But Branagh really used the whole cast brilliantly. Yes, there was some weaker, gimmicky casting (Jack Lemmon, Depardieu, etc.) but so much of the ensemble were brilliantly good. Special shout-out to Derek Jacobi for a definitive, entirely original take on Claudius. And just having the full, uncut text performed was special - you got a sense of the actual structure, balance, breadth, and pace of the play. I wish more Shakespeare adaptations would do this.

by Anonymousreply 10November 5, 2021 11:22 AM

R10 having previously mseen some of Jacobi’s Prince, I couldn’t get my head around him playing Claudius. That’s just me and my brain nonsense, though, no shade on his performance.

by Anonymousreply 11November 5, 2021 1:23 PM

Hamlet the character is a useless, timorous and self-absorbed dickhead who overthinks himself into a corner with fatal consequences for those around him. Nothing about him is heroic, laudable, or even that interesting. Never forget that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 6, 2021 12:52 AM

Richard Briers was a very good Polonius.

by Anonymousreply 13November 6, 2021 5:00 AM

Mr. McNeely: “You guys are reading Hamlet right? What’s one of the recurring themes in Hamlet?”

Tanner: (raising hand) “Oh! Ooh, call on me! Betrayal!”

McNeely: “Very good, very good. Okay, now who can give me a good example of betrayal?”

Deandra: “Oh! When Hamlet sends Rosencrantz and Guildenstern on a boat to die.”

McNeely: “Exactly! Hamlet betrays his friends.”

Brittnay: “Which is super fucked up, because only a fucking dickhole betrays his friends.”

Jenna: “Well, maybe he wouldn’t have, if his friends weren’t a bunch of selfish BITCHES who had already betrayed him in the first place.”

McNeely: “That’s exactly right, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern were going to betray Hamlet first...”

Mackenzie: “Well, MAYBE if Hamlet had known his place, instead of being a whiny little BITCH, everything wouldn’t have been so FUCKED up!”

Jenna: “Well, maybe if Rosencrantz and Guildenstern hadn’t made out with the guy Hamlet was in love with like two skanky little COCKWRANGLERS they wouldn’t have got put on that FUCKING BOAT!”

Mackenzie: “That doesn’t mean that Hamlet had to go and BURN DOWN an entire fucking MALL and almost ruin fucking EVERYTHING!”

Deandra: “And maybe if everyone would have chilled the fuck out, Ophelia would have still had her goddamn ARMS!”

McNeely: “Okay, I think we’ve moved a little off topic, but I love the energy guys, love the energy.”

Blaine: “Um, what page does the mall burn down on?”

Matthew: “Relax Blaine, apparently today’s not going to be a learning day.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 6, 2021 11:01 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 7, 2021 12:34 PM

Fuck this whole thread right up its ass!

by Anonymousreply 16November 7, 2021 6:28 PM

R16 like you wanted to do to me?

by Anonymousreply 17November 9, 2021 9:07 PM

Derek Jacobi was terrible as Claudius

by Anonymousreply 18June 24, 2022 7:46 PM

Billy Fucking Crystal?

Robin Fucking Williams?

Charleston Heston?

Jack Lemmon?

Kate Winslet?

Derek Jacobi?

Not "talent" that gives me much confidence.

by Anonymousreply 19June 24, 2022 7:55 PM

R19 elucidate

by Anonymousreply 20June 24, 2022 8:05 PM

It was great seeing the whole play--the proportionalities and rhythms felt right for once.

Nicholas Farrell as Horatio was wonderful, the best I've seen; same for Richard Briers as Polonius.

Some people don't like Billy Crystal as the Gravedigger, but I thought he gave a great nuanced, layered rendition.

This was the one performance of Charlton Heston's which I liked (as the Player King).

Our Rosenkrantz and Guildenstern were excellent.

I pretty much liked Branagh as Hamlet . . . much better than the renditions by Richard Burton and by Laurence Olivier. Derek Jacobi's performance as Hamlet (in the BBC Shakespeare's Plays set) is interesting and has many good ideas; but he rants every now and then. It's interesting to compare Jacobi's Hamlet with Branagh's Hamlet.

I disliked immensely the way in which Hamlet's talk with the ghost (and the whole scene) was presented, and equally disliked the very end, with Hamlet Senior's statue being pulled down (what was the production trying to say with that?). Also the inserts--where, for one instance, Richard Attenborough was filmed separately (as the English Ambassador) and then inserted into the scene in which the character appears--seemed exactly like that--awkward inserts--and could I think have been handled better technically.

But the production's good points far far outweigh its missteps, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 21June 24, 2022 8:16 PM

R21 Don't forget about Rosemary Harris as the Player Queen

by Anonymousreply 22June 24, 2022 8:22 PM

R18 how was Jacobi terrible as Claudius?

by Anonymousreply 23October 20, 2022 3:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!