Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Doctor Who: Flux

I stopped watching halfway through, will give it another try tomorrow. Didn't quite get the story, but maybe I'll understand when I complete the first episode. So far I notice that Jazz is now fully relegated to ask 'what was that' and 'why don't you tell me.' And the story is completely plot driven. My very first impression from the first scene: The look of the show is like an animated show but with real actors. Very colorful, but in terms of SFX it looks like the BBC cut the budget yet again.

For those who watched it, possibly to the end, did you enjoy it?

by Anonymousreply 44December 13, 2021 12:53 PM

I quite liked it. Set up a great mystery and the dog's best friend reveal was neat. Also, special guest appearance of a weeping angel.

by Anonymousreply 1November 1, 2021 10:31 AM

Agree with your comment about the SFX in the first scene but subsequent scenes were pretty decent and almost on par with what you'd see in a Marvel pic.

by Anonymousreply 2November 1, 2021 6:10 PM

Marvel and DC are borrowing generously from DW these days, as well they should.

by Anonymousreply 3November 1, 2021 7:05 PM

so is that the satan character from tennent days?

by Anonymousreply 4November 3, 2021 4:31 AM

Wow, Doctor Who's new season really blows up the internet, doesn't it? Three episodes in, and just four responses. There is another thread with just as many responses. I can't keep up with all the new replies.

by Anonymousreply 5November 17, 2021 12:58 PM

I've really been enjoying the new season, and I thought episode 3 was probably the most compelling episode of the entire Chibnall era.

No offense, but Datalounge isn't really someplace I think about to talk about Doctor Who. It isn't like there are a ton of threads about it here. Also, I love Doctor Who, and Datalounge has a tendency to shit all over everything, and sometimes I just want to enjoy something without the pointless bitchery.

by Anonymousreply 6November 17, 2021 1:13 PM

Nonetheless Chibnall era ratings in the UK crashed. If the Brits say he failed the Americans can't bail him out. Jodie has made Sylvester McCoy look good in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 7November 17, 2021 1:25 PM

I tried watching some of it for old times' sake but it's written like brain damage.

Whittaker had dreadful companions. I think the push all these years for a female Doctor was because people thought 'just' being a companion was a relegation for women - not at all, they've always been well written characters as far as I can see. They were integral to grounding the zaniness of the Doctor.

Whittaker STILL doesn't have that so she comes off as manic, manic, manic ... something I noticed is that she seems to barely ever look her companions in the eye.

I remember watching her when she first started, and the three companions were all having emotional character-building conversations with each other, but never with the Doctor. Disaster.

by Anonymousreply 8November 17, 2021 1:47 PM

Chibnall uses a great deal of established DW material in terms of villains this season (which wasn't the case in his first season). The next episode will be Weeping Angels centric, apparently. Wouldn't be surprised if the Master himself is behind the Flux.

by Anonymousreply 9November 17, 2021 3:41 PM

[quote] Chibnall uses a great deal of established DW material in terms of villains this season (which wasn't the case in his first season).

Originally he sneered at the thought of the tired old characters and villains returning. Apparently the Lords of the BBC ordered him to back down on this.

by Anonymousreply 10November 17, 2021 3:46 PM

it was better than the regular series with her.

by Anonymousreply 11November 17, 2021 7:44 PM

I've realised why I don't respond to the Chibnall companions- they are so worthy and good to begin with - a cancer survivor, a boy with a disability, an earnest policewoman and now a food-bank manager(!). In the past there were aimless Rose, loser Mickey, shifty Captain Jack, annoying Donna, selfish Amy and wimpy Rory - even Martha was beset by a dysfunctional family - they all grew, developed, became heroes and had lots of fun along the way.

by Anonymousreply 12November 17, 2021 9:38 PM

As astute observation r12

by Anonymousreply 13November 17, 2021 9:55 PM

they must have a "special" person on every Brit show now.

by Anonymousreply 14November 17, 2021 11:32 PM

r14 makes me wonder how long they will be allowed to call it the Tardis. The Special Needs Blue Box doesn't quote roll off the tongue.

by Anonymousreply 15November 17, 2021 11:42 PM

paint it yellow!

by Anonymousreply 16November 17, 2021 11:43 PM

The absolute best part of Flux is that since Graham and Ryan left, the Doctor doesn't call her companions Fam anymore. I hate that. It was nauseatingly twee.

by Anonymousreply 17November 18, 2021 2:17 AM

[quote] selfish Amy and wimpy Rory

Sorry, I love those guys, but they had hardly any character development. Amy was the girl who waited and that was her whole gimmick. She was angry that the Doctor didn't pick her up as a child as he promised and her whole character devolpment was to get over that. And Rory was just in love with Amy and that was it. All he did was to stay close to Amy even if that meant to put up with the Doctor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 18, 2021 2:23 PM

Have not watch any of the new season to date but will try and binge watch this weekend. I really miss Peter Capaldi.

by Anonymousreply 19November 18, 2021 2:31 PM

i loved amy. you knew she would do bigger things as an actress.

by Anonymousreply 20November 19, 2021 12:50 AM

I'd like to have seen them explore Amy's time as a prostitute before the Doctor returned to her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 19, 2021 12:56 AM

Village of the Angels is a pretty great episode. End credits feature an extra scene, btw.

by Anonymousreply 22November 22, 2021 11:17 AM

Just watched Village of the Angels, and I agree, it was a great episode, with a wild cliff-hanger. Thanks for the tip on the extra scene. I generally don't watch the closing credits as the trailers tend to be extremely spoiler heavy.

I'm really happy with this season so far. It's a shame Chibnal spent two seasons floundering, but he is really hitting it out of the park with Flux.

by Anonymousreply 23November 23, 2021 2:41 AM

Agree that Village of the Angels was great and the best of the season so far. But really hoping Chibnall can tie everything together at the end.

by Anonymousreply 24November 23, 2021 3:20 AM

Is Ms Doctor still painfully woke or did they run away from that ?

by Anonymousreply 25November 23, 2021 3:39 AM

[quote] I've realised why I don't respond to the Chibnall companions- they are so worthy and good to begin with - a cancer survivor, a boy with a disability, an earnest policewoman and now a food-bank manager(!).

And isn’t the new companion’s girlfriend missing an arm…or did I dream that?

by Anonymousreply 26November 23, 2021 3:47 AM

Yes, R26 - pretty much lurching into self-parody.

by Anonymousreply 27November 24, 2021 2:11 PM

And they are all anti Brexit

by Anonymousreply 28November 25, 2021 7:20 PM

I thought this week's episode was great! The weeping angels are such a good villain, so it's hard to make a bad episode with them. I loved the cliffhanger, too.

I actually think Jodie has been a great Doctor. Most of the criticism comes from Daily Mail readers who can't tolerate a woman being the Doctor.

by Anonymousreply 29November 25, 2021 7:31 PM

This last episode #5 was even better yet. It's still not must-see-TV for me, but the plot finally starts to make sense.

With all the improvements made, there is a major shortcoming imho. The character description is still too light. You get to learn more about the Doctor's background, but not about this incarnation. She is not driven herself; the plot is hasting her from place to place, and she is reacting at every corner. But she never shows an agenda that guides all her action. The companions, who are actually anything but this season, are as bland as can be. Dan? Could be played by anyone over 14. He has no trait whatsoever that would require any specific casting. I have a hard time caring for any of the characters. The only one I seem to be rooting for is the CSO of UNIT. I also found the 'mother' interesting. I thought she would be the big villain. Eh... doesn't look like it. Huge missed opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 30November 29, 2021 12:34 AM

Let's just flush and erase the whole of Chibnall's shitshow.

by Anonymousreply 31November 29, 2021 12:46 AM

I quite enjoy this season. Love the reveal of what Division is and who runs it. Also the Grand Serpent being some shadowy figure running things behind the scenes could make any conspiracy tin hat theorist cream in his pants.

by Anonymousreply 32November 29, 2021 7:57 AM

Barbara Flynn acting Jodie totally off the screen couldn't be allowed to go on too long.

by Anonymousreply 33November 29, 2021 8:40 AM

Not true r29. Whittaker can’t seem even now to decide on how to act the doctor. She’s all over the place borrowing heavily from Tennant who was good in the role.

by Anonymousreply 34November 29, 2021 8:59 AM

I like the idea of Division, too. And 'mother' was promising as a new foil. Too bad she was so unceremoniously removed. The whole new backstory is OK with me anyway. If only it was/is executed nicely. But if they go that route, they need to make sure that the Ruth doesn't just remain a stand-in for all prior incarnations. Right now it sounds like she was the only one before One because she is the only one with an actual life.

by Anonymousreply 35November 29, 2021 3:24 PM

Soooo... any opinion on Flux, now that the mini-season is over?

Overall I think it was a convoluted mess. I'd say I didn't understand 50% of what happened. Could be just me. Maybe I have to sit down with a twelve year old who can walk me through the plot. It was a let down for me that the Doctor's secret was merely tucked away. To me it was the highest motivator to watch this season. I still don't understand how the Sontaans got into all this or who the Great Serpent was and what his motivation was.

I gotta say though, visually the show was nice. Those two siblings-baddies looked stunning, make up and costumes.

by Anonymousreply 36December 6, 2021 3:49 AM

The two time-eating demons' faces look like Skeletor Christmas ornaments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 6, 2021 6:46 AM

Swarm calls the Doctor the first Timelord. Wonder if that means something?

by Anonymousreply 38December 6, 2021 10:34 AM

Finally watched it. I loved it. The whole season was engaging and exciting.

I'm looking forward to the Festive Special on New Year's Day.

by Anonymousreply 39December 13, 2021 2:28 AM

Oh....I thought it was strange someone started a thread about the Dr. Who version of the card game Fluxx.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 13, 2021 5:29 AM

The problem with Doctor #13 isn't because they cast a woman as the Doctor....it's because they created a retarded version of the Doctor who just so happens to now be a woman.

You can have a female Time Lord; nothing wrong with that idea....after all, we've had River Song bopping around for many years and she's hugely popular largely due to the way they created the character and because Alex Kingston is amazing.

But, Chibnall was determined or under orders to make Dr. Who super woke and ended up making it super stupid and boring. Whittaker is a talented actress but she's not likable or interesting as the Doctor. She's just manic and cloying.

Now, where's the thread on discussing the casting for the new Doctor?

You just know they're going to do the first Doctor of Color....but, will it be a brown lady Doctor or a brown dude Doctor?

by Anonymousreply 41December 13, 2021 6:52 AM

This approximates my expectations of the next Doctor

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 13, 2021 7:10 AM

[quote] You just know they're going to do the first Doctor of Color....but, will it be a brown lady Doctor or a brown dude Doctor?

If so, please let it be the dreamy Jacob Anderson - the guy who played Vinder and was in GOT. I think it's going to be T'Nia Miller, and she'll be perfect, but I'd be very happy seeing Anderson in the role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 13, 2021 7:38 AM

[quote] You just know they're going to do the first Doctor of Color

Well, I think we have her already with Jo Martin. And the audience seems to have responded quite favorably about her. I certainly liked her. She was written so much better in the few scenes she had than 13 in three years. If RTD is going to do what everybody seems to expect him to do, he is looking for spin-off opportunities. She may get first dibs. Theoretically, all versions of the Doctor exist in the same universe at the same time, right?

by Anonymousreply 44December 13, 2021 12:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!