Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What do you consider to be the worst franchises EVER

The Independence Day franchise. The first one was horrible but it was saved by only one man: Will Smith. I am watching its wretched sequel right now and I can't believe how horrible it is. Nothing works. Every character is so fucking obnoxious I want to stab every one of them ten trillion times. Especially the two horrible male leads.

by Anonymousreply 90January 18, 2022 1:25 AM

Orange Julius

by Anonymousreply 1October 30, 2021 6:02 AM

Pirates of the Caribbean.

by Anonymousreply 2October 30, 2021 6:04 AM

First response is always a stupid cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3October 30, 2021 6:04 AM

Are you new here? That's the way its done, moron.

by Anonymousreply 4October 30, 2021 8:44 PM

Divergent needs to up near the top of that list.

by Anonymousreply 5October 30, 2021 9:16 PM

Really OP? I like the first Independence Day because of Jeff and Will. I completely forgot that Harvey Fierstein is in too.

by Anonymousreply 6November 2, 2021 6:12 AM

I went into a Pap Murphy's Pizza here in a little northern Caulifornia town. Awful. There were flies around the toppings!! Did not partake.

by Anonymousreply 7November 2, 2021 6:25 AM

The first Independence Day was horrible in a thousand different ways but the effects were better than the CGI shitfest that was part 2. Will was the only good thing about it.

by Anonymousreply 8November 2, 2021 7:03 AM

Well, first of all, two films don't really make it a franchise.

I think you must have at least 3 films before you can call it that.

Secondly, the first Independence Day is great! It's a silly, dumb pop corn movie but it's lots of fun and well made, for what it is.

It's the only decent movie Roland Emmerich has ever made.

by Anonymousreply 9November 2, 2021 7:07 AM

All the franchises are soulless trash that is best avoided.

by Anonymousreply 10November 2, 2021 7:08 AM

My pick for the worst franchise would be....

the bloody Lord of the Rings/Hobbit films.

So long. So boring. So devoid of any fun.

Oh, and the MCU films.

For the same reasons.

by Anonymousreply 11November 2, 2021 7:09 AM

Saw. The first one was great & it went downhill mighty fast. After they promised 6 or 7 was the last one, oops, they did it again!

by Anonymousreply 12November 2, 2021 7:09 AM

R11 x 100!

by Anonymousreply 13November 2, 2021 7:10 AM

Marvel disney

by Anonymousreply 14November 2, 2021 7:15 AM

The Dallas Cowboys. Oh, you meant MOVIE franchise.

by Anonymousreply 15November 2, 2021 7:19 AM

R9 the producers were planning a new trilogy with the CGI shitfest of Part 2. So fuck you, it is a franchise. There is no rule that says you need more than two to be a franchise. Usually the producers plan on more but then the film bombs. Like with the 4 films from Cameron's Avatar he has been working on for how long. They have spent a billion on the four sequels. No way they are getting it back.

by Anonymousreply 16November 2, 2021 7:26 AM

The Jurassic Park franchise. The first one is very entertaining but the films that follow get progressively shittier. I can't think of a franchise with a worse record.

by Anonymousreply 17November 2, 2021 7:28 AM

Any number of horror franchises, ala Saw.

by Anonymousreply 18November 2, 2021 7:32 AM

Independence Day is one of those "USA, USA, USA! We're #1!" patriot schlock fests Team America (and Mars Attacks) made fun of.

My pick would be 50 Shades of Gray. Both the novel series and the movie adaptions. And I write this as a gay man, but women deserve so much better lurid sexual romance novel entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 19November 2, 2021 10:30 AM

The Kingsman franchise. They were just so corny.

by Anonymousreply 20November 2, 2021 10:35 AM

Ruby Tuesday.

Conversely, I rather enjoyed Bennigan’s.

by Anonymousreply 21November 2, 2021 10:41 AM

Pitch Perfect

by Anonymousreply 22November 2, 2021 10:44 AM

Pacific Rim. It's even worse than Transformers movie franchise circle jerk led by Michael Bay. Honorable mention of another straight circle jerk schlock fest called Fast & Furious.

Breeders, amIrite?

by Anonymousreply 23November 2, 2021 10:49 AM

Jaws 2-4

by Anonymousreply 24November 2, 2021 10:54 AM

Transformers. Like watching a computer game.

by Anonymousreply 25November 2, 2021 11:08 AM

Bond (after Moore packed it in)

Star Wars (after the original)

Iron Man

Avengers

Fast and Furious

by Anonymousreply 26November 2, 2021 11:14 AM

R22 the first PP was fine. I don't know why they're doing a series with Bumper of all people.

by Anonymousreply 27November 2, 2021 11:56 AM

Gidget Goes to Hell

by Anonymousreply 28November 2, 2021 12:03 PM

Fast & Furious. Nothing better exemplifies how much Hollywood has lost its way in the past few decades. Dull, noisy rubbish. Very little plot, style or reality, more of a computer game than a movie. It’s like the film business wants to die.

Barely bearable when Paul Walker was at least in them to look at. Now all there is to see is geriatric Vin butching it up in a sweaty vest. No thanks.

Helen Mirren is supposed to be planning to be in one. Not even that will make it watchable.

by Anonymousreply 29November 2, 2021 12:07 PM

The Godzilla movies

Each one is worse than the one before it.

The last really good one was Ghidorah, the 3-Headed Monster

by Anonymousreply 30November 2, 2021 12:10 PM

You leave Godzilla alone!

While it has now been deemed not on point - the 1st Independence Day was great fun. Poor Harvey going out the way he did. They used to play it every Thanksgiving and it would be hell getting anyone to the dinner table until the blowing up parts were over. LOL! Careful cooking timing was required.

I had no idea there were so many Godzilla flicks. Recently discovered the Comet channel to watch X-Files and Battlestar Galactica and well it took me down some other avenues. Some hilarious old horror/monster movies.

by Anonymousreply 31November 2, 2021 8:56 PM

[quote]You leave Godzilla alone!

I wish contemporary filmmakers would leave Godzilla alone!

by Anonymousreply 32November 2, 2021 9:08 PM

Seeing the original Japanese version of the first Godzilla film (with no dubbing or Raymond Burr) was a revelation. The way the film opens on a black screen with Godzilla screaming must have been terrifying when it was new. Eventually the series got sillier as it became a kiddie series, but the 1990s reboots really worked for me and I think Shin Godzilla's evolution from a gilled aquatic larva to a land animal is truly inspired.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 2, 2021 9:28 PM

Avengers

by Anonymousreply 34November 2, 2021 9:29 PM

You probably get that I'm talking about the Toho Studios Godzilla franchise. I don't think taking Japanese monsters and ghosts out of their original cultural contexts and plopping them into American settings really works, though there are certainly enough people who can't read subtitles to make it well worth remaking them in English.

by Anonymousreply 35November 2, 2021 9:36 PM

R32, ooooohhh Rodan. Now he was scary. Gozilla vs. Rodan. Bring it on. I better go check Comet.

Only the lumbering Godzilla is acceptable. As a child I worried out my means of escape. To the sides and behind him. It's like the now running Zombies. How are you supposed to escape fast moving and agile monsters. I have a feeling that Fauci and some perverse Gain of Function has been at work here.

by Anonymousreply 36November 2, 2021 9:48 PM

Tyler Perry's Medea

by Anonymousreply 37November 2, 2021 9:50 PM

Republican presidential candidates and their campaigns - getting progressively worse every 4 years.

by Anonymousreply 38November 2, 2021 9:52 PM

[Quote] Barely bearable when Paul Walker was at least in them to look at. Now all there is to see is geriatric Vin butching it up in a sweaty vest. No thanks. Helen Mirren is supposed to be planning to be in one. Not even that will make it watchable.

The movies are completely ridiculous but i watched them for Paul and Sung. And Helen has already been in a few of them.

by Anonymousreply 39November 2, 2021 11:24 PM

Another vote for Jaws 2-4. Absolutely awful.

Almost any slasher multiple movie, I'm not a fan of the jandra.

by Anonymousreply 40November 2, 2021 11:32 PM

Jaws 2 had some fun dialogue. And the "special effects" from Jaws 3 are a riot.

by Anonymousreply 41November 3, 2021 6:54 AM

R41, I think I still have my cheap paper 3D glasses from that movie. I remember I wore red princess heels. Those were the days.

by Anonymousreply 42November 3, 2021 7:09 AM

R42 you're one of the lucky ones.

by Anonymousreply 43November 3, 2021 10:56 AM

I hate the term franchise for movies.

by Anonymousreply 44November 3, 2021 11:06 AM

The Witchcraft franchise is bananas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 3, 2021 11:12 AM

Twilight is inert and bloodless Harry Potter is twee and nerdy

by Anonymousreply 46November 3, 2021 11:15 AM

With the criticism of the LOTR films on this thread, it's probably just as well that all the Prancing Ponies have died of old age by now.

by Anonymousreply 47November 3, 2021 11:37 AM

R46 I feel like the decapitation in Breaking Dawn makes up for the lack of gore.

by Anonymousreply 48November 3, 2021 12:06 PM

Twilight and Fast and Furious.

by Anonymousreply 49November 3, 2021 12:12 PM

I also don’t think many of these qualify as “franchises”, many are just movie series. Or, in the case of ‘Independence Day’, simply two movies. But whatever.

by Anonymousreply 50November 3, 2021 12:14 PM

R50 - Well aren't you the life of the party.

by Anonymousreply 51November 3, 2021 12:33 PM

Wrong Turn

The first one wasn't even good. To me, it felt like the poor man's Hills Have Eyes or Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Somebody must like them if there are 7 of them now, but they're not for me.

by Anonymousreply 52November 3, 2021 12:47 PM

R52 - But is it a "franchise" franchise or a "series" franchise?

R50 really needs to know.

by Anonymousreply 53November 3, 2021 12:49 PM

What is the difference? R50 R53

by Anonymousreply 54November 3, 2021 12:51 PM

R54 - Ask R50. She's the self-appointed hall monitor.

by Anonymousreply 55November 3, 2021 12:53 PM

Jaws 3 was epically bad but you did get a young(er) Dennis Quaid squeezing in and out of a tight wet suit. Oh the tingles I remember watching that...

by Anonymousreply 56November 3, 2021 12:59 PM

R51 you better believe it, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 57November 3, 2021 1:26 PM

I hate it when a franchise is too franchise-y.

by Anonymousreply 58November 3, 2021 1:28 PM

This.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 3, 2021 1:33 PM

[quote] Twilight is inert and bloodless Harry Potter is twee and nerdy

I disagree. I think Twilight is ert.

by Anonymousreply 60November 3, 2021 7:27 PM

Franchise should probably just be used for movie series just obviously made for money and no other reason like when a movie is successful then a whole series of films are created to exploit that success.

All the horror films like Elm Street, Scream, Halloween, etc are franchises.

Harry Potter and Bond and LOTR are all based on books in a series.

Though streteching out The Hobbit to THREE fucking terrible films is pure cash grab.

In the case of Twilight, that's a terrible book franchise turned into a terrible film franchise. But, since only people with the mentality of a Down's Syndrome 12 year old like the books or films, does it really matter?

by Anonymousreply 61November 4, 2021 6:05 AM

The Hobbit movies are the worst offender to me because they took a beloved childhood novel (Tolkein's best, imho) and shat it out over three installments like a bad burrito that just won't let go of you. I'm sure the Twilight and 50 Shades series were objectively worse because there was never anything worthwhile to adapt in the first place, but they don't have that same feeling of betrayal and wasted potential.

by Anonymousreply 62November 4, 2021 7:17 AM

Right now I am watching Terminator genisys and it has to have the worst collection of fucking repulsive turds in any movie. I desire to stab Emilia Clarke 100 trillion times with the sharpest sword ever. Jai Courtney as well. Always hated that turd. Old Schwarzenigger is just horrible. Having Emilia cunt Clarke come back as an SJW is like getting fucked with an entire porcupine.

by Anonymousreply 63November 6, 2021 6:31 PM

Porky's and Porky's Revenge. It got bad after that.

by Anonymousreply 64November 6, 2021 6:47 PM

The parody moves: Scary Movie, Disaster Movie, Date Movie etc etc

by Anonymousreply 65November 6, 2021 6:53 PM

Any Marvel crap. Twillight.

by Anonymousreply 66November 6, 2021 6:55 PM

R66 Agreed. Robert Pattinson never failed to attack how awful/brain dead Twilight was. Staying in high school for a thousand years is totally cool!

by Anonymousreply 67November 6, 2021 7:02 PM

R63 I love how they didn't give a shit and basically spoiled the whole movie in the trailers.

R67 Robert talked shit about the Twilight films multiple times during interviews.

by Anonymousreply 68November 7, 2021 12:11 AM

R68 That is what I said, you fucking moron. Learn how to understand English. Eurotrash.

by Anonymousreply 69November 7, 2021 12:12 AM

Jaws, Pirate's of the Caribbean, every horror franchise ever made.

by Anonymousreply 70November 7, 2021 12:20 AM

That is just stupid. Friday the 13th had a couple good movies, including the original. Nightmare on Elm Street also had a few that were really good, especially the original.

by Anonymousreply 71November 10, 2021 5:53 AM

All the Amityville and Conjuring films, all a product of the first paranormal hucksters, The Warrens

by Anonymousreply 72November 10, 2021 6:07 AM

Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Batman, Supreman, Spider Man, The Fast and the Furious. . .

by Anonymousreply 73November 10, 2021 6:09 AM

Hooters

by Anonymousreply 74November 10, 2021 6:12 AM

The Matrix series always sucked. Anything with Keanu sucks.

by Anonymousreply 75January 1, 2022 1:32 AM

The Trump Organization. A brand that promises and delivers shit.

by Anonymousreply 76January 1, 2022 1:36 AM

R76 Get a life, you psychotic troll.

by Anonymousreply 77January 1, 2022 1:39 AM

"The Jurassic Park franchise. The first one is very entertaining but the films that follow get progressively shittier. I can't think of a franchise with a worse record."

I'd agree, but the first one is so good that I can't place the whole franchise as the worst. Some franchises don't have ANY good movies. And Jurassic Park and one GREAT one.

by Anonymousreply 78January 1, 2022 1:59 AM

Deadpool. I can't believe it has an 8/10 on IMDB. I couldn't even make it through the first 15 minutes. And to think there are sequels!

by Anonymousreply 79January 1, 2022 2:22 AM

[quote] "Saw. The first one was great & it went downhill mighty fast."

I remember thinking two things while watching the first film at a friend's house, R12: that it was way too much like "Se7en" to be interesting, and I couldn't get over Tobin Bell's casting, because he's a terrible actor.

Every additional film was just an excuse to exploit torture. Boring.

by Anonymousreply 80January 1, 2022 2:57 AM

Spider Man. Do we really need the 5000 reboots? Enough

Ant-Man - who cares?

Fast and the Furious - people will watch anything, I guess

by Anonymousreply 81January 1, 2022 3:02 AM

Never have watched any of the Fast and Furious movies, seems like a bunch of muscle heads

by Anonymousreply 82January 1, 2022 3:05 AM

[Quote] The Matrix series always sucked. Anything with Keanu sucks.

First movie is great. The sequels were a convoluted mess.

[Quote] Never have watched any of the Fast and Furious movies, seems like a bunch of muscle heads

For the most part it is, the cast gets more diverse with each movie. I used to think Vin was hot, but now i prefer Paul and Sung.

by Anonymousreply 83January 1, 2022 2:21 PM

I was thinking of food franchises. Carry on.

by Anonymousreply 84January 4, 2022 2:08 PM

R84 Jesus, what a fucking genius.

by Anonymousreply 85January 4, 2022 2:12 PM

The Hellraiser movies. The first two were classic modern horror but the movies started going downhill afterward - introducing new Cenobites when the originals, especially Pinhead, were so great; new and strange powers about the puzzle box; taking the movie into space (?!?)

by Anonymousreply 86January 4, 2022 2:33 PM

Franchise my asshole!!

by Anonymousreply 87January 4, 2022 3:27 PM

the Scream movies are terrible and don't hold up

by Anonymousreply 88January 17, 2022 9:49 PM

The NERD movies (Revenge of the Nerds, Nerds in Paradise, The Next Generation, Nerds in Love

by Anonymousreply 89January 17, 2022 10:18 PM

The Kennedy, Kardashian, and Trump families. Did I miss any other deserving manufacturers!?

by Anonymousreply 90January 18, 2022 1:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!