Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WHET Tia Carrere?

She became famous in the 90s, as a model and then with Wayne World (which was a surprise blockbuster) and True Lies, but then she vanished. Wtf. She was gorgeous! And seemed very intelligent too.

I used to like her a lot back then. She had a show called Relic Hunter I would watch also.

I know Baywatch kept trying to get her but she refused that. Smart woman. I’m sure her being Asian meant she was offered limited roles, but still.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 25, 2021 3:57 PM

She was fun in True Lies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 25, 2021 12:15 AM

Also the voice of Nani Pelekai in Lilo and Stitch. Iconic.

by Anonymousreply 2October 25, 2021 12:21 AM

I know her for her fantastic voice work as Nani in Lilo and Stitch. That was a great performance. I heard her podcast interview with RuPaul and she basically said that she has a daughter and doesn’t want her to be mixed up in Hollywood and the industry because of how brutal it is. I respect that.

by Anonymousreply 3October 25, 2021 12:23 AM

She was also in Rupaul's Netflix show AJ and the Queen last year

by Anonymousreply 4October 25, 2021 12:39 AM

Nobody got a better start in Hollywood than Tia Carrere

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 25, 2021 12:39 AM

She's 54. She had some not so great experiences over the years with Hollywood people and it soured her on it a bit.

She's also said while it's hard to maintain a career in Hollywood for decades, especially as an aging woman, she really does enjoy doing voice over work and smaller roles so she can spend time raising her daughter. She still performs.

While she divorced her ex-husband Simon Wakelin, she's also said they're still "living in sin" and as of last year were still technically together.

Finally she does have 4 Grammy award nominations and 2 wins in a category (Best Hawaiian Music Album) that was dissolved a few years ago, shortly after it was created as an offshoot of the World music category, but she still won.

by Anonymousreply 6October 25, 2021 12:54 AM

wasn't she married to the owner of that Italian restaurant on Santa Monica years ago? Benvenuto?

by Anonymousreply 7October 25, 2021 12:57 AM

I always appreciated how she didn’t seem desperate and grasping like so many other celebrities

by Anonymousreply 8October 25, 2021 1:21 AM

She was stunningly beautiful and I thought she was great in Wayne’s World and True Lies. I’m surprised she didn’t have a bigger career.

by Anonymousreply 9October 25, 2021 1:22 AM

She was more an entertainer than anything

by Anonymousreply 10October 25, 2021 1:26 AM

I loved relic hunter as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 11October 25, 2021 1:28 AM

She sang, she modeled, she acted… she was an entertainer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 25, 2021 1:34 AM

love that she didn't need to hop on the MeToo train.

by Anonymousreply 13October 25, 2021 2:07 AM

Probably because she didn't suck Harvey's deformed kishka.

by Anonymousreply 14October 25, 2021 2:11 AM

Relic Hunter was fun. She was very pretty.

by Anonymousreply 15October 25, 2021 2:22 AM

Last thing I saw her in was Celebrity Apprentice.

by Anonymousreply 16October 25, 2021 2:24 AM

R15 it was so much fun. As a kid I loved her gorgeous features and confident Alpha energy. I also, quite embarrassingly, thought that relic hunter was a real job that one could go to college for.

by Anonymousreply 17October 25, 2021 2:28 AM

[quote] I also, quite embarrassingly, thought that relic hunter was a real job

You weren't far off

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 25, 2021 2:31 AM

Very beautiful woman. Managed to have an exotic yet still warm on-screen persona. Glad to see her stepping back wasn't the result of some mental illness or other such trauma.

by Anonymousreply 19October 25, 2021 2:38 AM

She was a terrible actress though.

I don’t think she was able to keep up the type of parts she was good at.

Wasn’t she in that awful “High School High”?

by Anonymousreply 20October 25, 2021 2:49 AM

She looked gorgeous in that Dolph movie

by Anonymousreply 21October 25, 2021 2:50 AM

People always confuse me for her! They say we could pass for twins!

by Anonymousreply 22October 25, 2021 2:52 AM

R18 Oh, dear. Those thugs crossed the border. Sorry Wisconsin!

by Anonymousreply 23October 25, 2021 3:12 AM

[quote]love that she didn't need to hop on the MeToo train.

She had reason to but she didn't.

She already was pretty open about her run in with Steven Seagal.

Julianna Margulies, Lisa Guerrero, Portia de Rossi and Jenny McCarthy also had horror stories about him.

That was before he decided to become a Russian citizen and started running around praising Putin.

by Anonymousreply 24October 25, 2021 4:12 AM

She was recently on Dollface. It took me a second to recognize her. I think i last saw her on The OC playing a teacher. She was pretty hot in that stupid Kull The Conqueror movie.

by Anonymousreply 25October 25, 2021 7:38 AM

Her lack of talent finally caught up with her.

by Anonymousreply 26October 25, 2021 8:46 AM

She was very beautiful

by Anonymousreply 27October 25, 2021 3:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!