Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Queer seniors are more likely to suffer dementia

“The prevalence of cognitive impairment is significantly higher among sexual minority older adults than among heterosexual older adults when socio-demographic factors are adjusted for,” the study says.

They examined the data for the cause of the difference, examining various domains known to show risk factors for dementia: physical conditions, mental health conditions, lifestyle, and social connections. And what they found was that the big difference between LGB and straight seniors was depression.

“Our findings suggest that depression may be one of the important underlying factors leading to cognitive disadvantages for LGB people,” Hsieh said in a statement. “They may experience higher rates of depression than their heterosexual peers for many reasons, including not being accepted by parts of society, feeling ashamed of their sexual orientation or trying to hide their romantic relationships, and being treated unfairly in school or at work.”

“We knew that stress and depression are risk factors for many chronic health problems, including cognitive impairment, in later life,” she continued. “LGB people experience more stressful events and have higher rates of depression compared to their heterosexual counterparts.”

They thought that other factors – including social connections, smoking, and drinking – would play a bigger role than their study found that they did.

“Social inequality makes less privileged groups, including sexual minorities, more prone to develop cognitive impairment,” Hsieh said. “Making the society more just and more accepting of diverse sexuality may help prevent dementia and reduce related health care burden on society.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 24, 2021 5:41 AM

"Queer" is such a stupid word.

by Anonymousreply 1October 23, 2021 8:42 PM

"Queer seniors?" Yeah, no shit they suffer mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 2October 23, 2021 8:42 PM

Thank god, I'm only gay.

by Anonymousreply 3October 23, 2021 8:51 PM

B12, people. It’s crucial to avoid senility.

by Anonymousreply 4October 23, 2021 8:57 PM

I was going to post this earlier, but I forgot!

by Anonymousreply 5October 23, 2021 8:58 PM

R3 beat me to it.

by Anonymousreply 6October 23, 2021 8:59 PM

"the big difference between LGB and straight seniors was depression. "

Wait, is this the 'delete the T' media website?

by Anonymousreply 7October 23, 2021 9:01 PM

What do the T have to do with the gays, r7? This is a gay website.

by Anonymousreply 8October 23, 2021 9:03 PM

[quote] What do the T have to do with the gays

They're pre-demented?

by Anonymousreply 9October 23, 2021 9:05 PM

I think doctors throw antidepressants at gay men far more frequently than straight men. Long-term Aintidressents use is known to be a causation of dementia..

by Anonymousreply 10October 23, 2021 9:23 PM

I think gay men ask doctors for antidepressants far more frequently than straight men.

by Anonymousreply 11October 23, 2021 9:25 PM

Did r4 lose his train of thought?

by Anonymousreply 12October 23, 2021 9:27 PM

This could explain why so many guys here in their 60s and 70s think they look 25.

by Anonymousreply 13October 24, 2021 5:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!