Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: I want this house!

I would make very few changes to it except for paint and remove some but not all of the wallpaper. Paint and upgrade the exterior and make offers for a lot of the furnishings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 26, 2021 12:36 AM

Plenty of potential on the inside, but needs some curb appeal stat!

by Anonymousreply 1October 22, 2021 4:47 PM

It's a gorgeous home; needs a little TLC on the exterior and grounds - a brighter paint with some pop, the shingles need some work- the garden needs taming. The house itself is lovely. Way too much house for me and the husband, but if you want to keep up something that large, go for it. Looks like it would be a cold area.

by Anonymousreply 2October 22, 2021 4:52 PM

You'll be able to visit the Baseball Hall Of Fame!

by Anonymousreply 3October 22, 2021 4:55 PM

One can never have enough harpsichords, can one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 22, 2021 4:59 PM

I love it, absolutely adore it, but I did chuckle at the train room.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 22, 2021 5:00 PM

I like the train room, too, R5. It looks like the owners were very happy there. Tons of art, too. It would be fun to brighten it up while keeping the charm.

by Anonymousreply 6October 22, 2021 5:04 PM

Cooperstown is a lovely place, with some very nice houses. I have to say that the facade is the very least thing about it, unassuming to a fault, and a bit ugly.. It looks like it's wood shake shingles rather than siding, which was my thought: replacing the siding with cedar shakes would bring a world of improvement. Painting it another color could go a long way as well. The rear elevations with all the extensions and juts and jags is more interesting.

The interior though is rather wonderful, the large living room is terrific, and overall there's a nice early-/mid-20thC feel of a WASPy professor of American painting or decorative arts. I love it. The big eat-in kitchen with its terra cotta tile floor and simple materials and bright run of windows onto the rear garden (and the equally nice large pantry), the dining room with its stair and slightly saggy ceiling, the panelled library with its leaded casement windows, and the beautiful living room with its large Palladian window stuck away in a nook to one side of the fireplace.... It's just a great comfortable house that's both informal and has a lot of style. The bedrooms are simple and pleasant as they should be.

Fantastic house, OP.

(My only other complaint is that perhaps they didn't need quite so many photos of the laundry room.)

by Anonymousreply 7October 22, 2021 5:09 PM

Great sense of place, like generations have grown-up there, where everyone comes home for the holidays. I really like it

by Anonymousreply 8October 22, 2021 5:17 PM

Love it, love it, love it. I’d make an offer for some of the furnishings and wall decor also.

by Anonymousreply 9October 22, 2021 5:31 PM

Does it have a view on class struggle on a bright day?

by Anonymousreply 10October 22, 2021 5:33 PM

@r9, Yeah, most of the furnishings would have to stay, it all goes so well

by Anonymousreply 11October 22, 2021 5:35 PM

The furniture: Trying too hard to be classic.

The wallpaper: Lizzie Borden would love it.

The train room: kind cool but weird.

by Anonymousreply 12October 22, 2021 5:35 PM

^ My dad has a train room, a lot of old guys are into model trains. It's a great hobby

by Anonymousreply 13October 22, 2021 5:37 PM

Meh. It looks like they hid an English Tudor inside of a Dutch Colonial

by Anonymousreply 14October 22, 2021 5:51 PM

My room would be the one with the white iron bed and antique throw pillows. It’s perfect.

The house is surprisingly bright and it has a nice vibe. Love it.

by Anonymousreply 15October 22, 2021 6:01 PM

It needs a bit of work, but it would be worth the effort. I like it.

by Anonymousreply 16October 22, 2021 7:03 PM

Everything but the front (seems too close to the street to me) is 👍🏻.

by Anonymousreply 17October 22, 2021 7:08 PM

It won’t open for me (I use the app), so thanks to those who posted pics, it does indeed look lovely. What exactly is that area like, what’s it called I’m that particular region of NY? I find myself loooooving so many upstate houses, but then I remember the cold. Plus small towns are in terrible shape in this country. So I’m curious if Cooperstown is economically viable.

by Anonymousreply 18October 22, 2021 9:22 PM

When I look at the interior photos, all I can imagine is a William Hurt character from the Eighties, plodding listlessly from one room to another, too depressed about his failed marriage to even make a pot of coffee. In other words, I love it.

by Anonymousreply 19October 22, 2021 9:39 PM

I love that they have an ancient Citroën 2CV in the driveway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 22, 2021 10:12 PM

I am intrigued and repelled at the randomness of the JCPenney framed art on the walls. Did they hang a picture because a nail was already in the wall or was there a plan.....or what?

by Anonymousreply 21October 22, 2021 10:13 PM

And an "IMPEACH MIKE PENCE" sign in the garage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 22, 2021 10:13 PM

The addition to the right takes away from the curb appeal--it might look better in a deeper color. Lots of additions over time which makes the back look odd. The interior is nice although I could do without some of the wallpaper and that Merlot-colored room.

by Anonymousreply 23October 22, 2021 10:23 PM

The front looks like the My Three Sons house after they moved to California. Love the built-ins.

by Anonymousreply 24October 22, 2021 10:26 PM

Meh

by Anonymousreply 25October 22, 2021 10:26 PM

@ r19, I'm thinking one of those holiday movies where everybody comes home but they all have big problems. Johnny is coming out, Suzy's marriage is failing, Bill has a drinking problem... You know, typical family stuff

by Anonymousreply 26October 22, 2021 10:27 PM

R18, try searching by address and you should find a link to a real estate listing that opens for you:

4 Prospect Pl, Cooperstown, NY 13326

Cooperstown is small, with a population of only 2000, but it's a lovely and civilized town. A lot of upstate NY towns and cities have interesting history and architecture, but are characterized by urban blight, rehabilitation centers, halfway houses, places to sell your blood plasma, and more than a large share of poverty and despair. Cooperstown is beautifully situated and more prosperous, a mix of scattered grand houses in the area and some more modest but sometimes architecturally interesting places. The downtown shops are occupied - not by so I'll welfare organizations but by shops. It's not filthy rich, just tody and green and well looked after. It's a town more attractive than the sum of its parts. Real estate is a little more desirable because the area is reasonably prosperous and the location is beautiful with some nice cultural institutions.

by Anonymousreply 27October 22, 2021 10:33 PM

R26, is that the one with Parker Posey?

by Anonymousreply 28October 22, 2021 10:37 PM

It's like a fever-dream madhouse of banality, except for what looks like two or three rooms that their decorating has insulted. Did the original families add a bump out every time?

How do people keep their heads from going through the ceilings? How do people avoid beheading themselves walking up the Rockwell-Escher staircase?

Was the original family-builders named the Hoppers? Burrows? Harewood?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 22, 2021 10:38 PM

I love the higgled-piggledy look of the back of the house. The front is dismal but it can be fixed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 23, 2021 1:09 AM

This door is divine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 23, 2021 1:09 AM

I love this room. You could take cozy naps on the built in bed-sofas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 23, 2021 1:13 AM

This bed is fab, wall color not so much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 23, 2021 1:13 AM

The mishmash of interior styles I just don't like. 17th century English manor house rooms belong in a 17th century English manor house. And English wooden beamed cottage rooms belong in an English wooden beamed cottage. Not in an American faux colonial in New York state.

by Anonymousreply 34October 23, 2021 1:20 AM

Love the built-ins, the windows, esp. this set of windows.

The bedroom ceilings are too low and the bedrooms almost all seem dreary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 23, 2021 1:27 AM

Its loaded to the gills with charm and character. I would tweak very little ,mainly the outside. However,having spent 2 winters in New York state a winter home in Florida would be a must.

by Anonymousreply 36October 23, 2021 1:58 AM

[quote]The mishmash of interior styles I just don't like. 17th century English manor house rooms belong in a 17th century English manor house. And English wooden beamed cottage rooms belong in an English wooden beamed cottage. Not in an American faux colonial in New York state.

An enormous percentage of houses built in the U.S. between 1900 and 1940 borrow and steal heavily from historicist styles from other parts of the world. If you don't like it you don't like it, but there's nothing very unusual about it.

This apartment interior dates to 1931, and was ten or so floors above Fifth Ave., not from a Renaissance palacio, palazzo, or chateau.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 23, 2021 11:18 AM

R37, if the house (or apartment) is sufficiently grand then I think you can get away with faux period details you would find in some ancient mansion. But just look at that house's exterior. There's not one thing even remotely grand about it. It's a big ol' rambling barn like wood house that looks like it has seen its better days. We've seen examples of 60s ranch style tract houses with interiors done up to look like medieval castles for sale on various "Tasteful friends" posts over the years. This is the same sort of abomination IMO. The interior of a house should always fit the exterior styling.

by Anonymousreply 38October 23, 2021 12:45 PM

I agree with R34. The first few photos of the interior and the kitchen look like an old colonial house in Virginia, then I got to one of the rooms with Tudor decor, and went “huh? What year was this built?” But some of the decor in the colonial-style rooms is charming. The outside looks like a blah suburban home. My overall impression was curiosity about the current residents.

by Anonymousreply 39October 23, 2021 12:52 PM

Wow - Cooperstown seems much nicer than Hudson. Never realized. Why did the gays decide to choose Hudson with its ghetto population and packed in housing - rather than a nice town like this with more spacious properties but still walkable town?

by Anonymousreply 40October 23, 2021 3:39 PM

This home is a stunning example of an Edwardian home. especially, the interiors. It's like walking into a museum. I wonder if the furnishings are included?

by Anonymousreply 41October 23, 2021 3:54 PM

[quote]I wonder if the furnishings are included?

They never are unless it's clearly stated, though you can always make an offer for a few things or the whole lot, especially if you know that they are downsizing or that some things are difficult to move. It's unusual to negotiate on more than a couple things, but it's been known to work.

by Anonymousreply 42October 23, 2021 4:05 PM

I’m the poster who couldn’t see it on the app, thank you for posting the address. Wow! I do indeed love it. OP, I would give them an offer of $610k and see if they balk.

by Anonymousreply 43October 23, 2021 4:18 PM

It has a contingent offer in place, so you may be too late to do heavy bargaining, R43.

Here's another at $1.2M, which is very nice if more staid. Grander, larger, and more pretentious, it's also on Main Street and the Streeview gives a glimpse of how attractive the town is. It's another that could work for a film location for one of those films where the dysfunctional family assembles for a holiday dinner and all the secrets are aired.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 23, 2021 4:29 PM

Yet another, smaller, more modest, much cheaper, but also with a continent contract. It has some charm all the same, and good furniture and art and some minor renovations could make it very nice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 23, 2021 4:32 PM

"I love that they have an ancient Citroën 2CV in the driveway. "

"And an "IMPEACH MIKE PENCE" sign in the garage. "

Old money liberals, I knew there was a reason I liked this house. I bet they're Episcopalians who love to drink. My kind of people

by Anonymousreply 46October 23, 2021 4:33 PM

I’ll take R45 and be your neighbor

by Anonymousreply 47October 23, 2021 4:50 PM

Great, we can have a Datalounge party at your house.

Thx for posting your address op.

by Anonymousreply 48October 23, 2021 5:41 PM

OP, you have ruined me. Now I’m in love with this place. Is there no town in this cursed country that has this type of vibe, this type of pricing, but is warm bit liberal? My old bones can’t do this cold, but I absolutely love this town and these houses, they are incredible. I know ok’d houses are money pits, but these are so charming that I think I could justify it. I just looooved the front porch, so so sweet.

by Anonymousreply 49October 23, 2021 6:36 PM

For 84k you get a lot. But this house never really escapes its more humble beginnings. It seems cobbled together which it is and some of the carpentry is bad. The faux tudor ceilings look cheap and bad. Lots of nice built-ins, but a lot of the rooms seem small and mean. The owner found nice furniture to fit the reduced scale of the room, like the mini-grand piano or harpsichord. For 84k a bargain, but you can’t really say this place has potential to get any better than it is now.

by Anonymousreply 50October 23, 2021 6:50 PM

^ What are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 51October 23, 2021 7:03 PM

R49 Charlottesville, VA

by Anonymousreply 52October 23, 2021 7:14 PM

R50 what house in this thread is $84k?

by Anonymousreply 53October 23, 2021 9:26 PM

Calm down Queens. I misread the price.

by Anonymousreply 54October 25, 2021 9:13 AM

It's the sort of house where you'd sit your ass down on a fat dick in the train room only to be interrupted by a faint call for assistance.

His mother, riddled with cancer, needs a BenGay rubdown.

by Anonymousreply 55October 25, 2021 12:34 PM

Heinous exterior.

by Anonymousreply 56October 25, 2021 9:33 PM

And you may have it, OP!!

by Anonymousreply 57October 26, 2021 12:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!