Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Speaking of HitchCOCK - Rope

Speaking of HitchCOCK (got your attention), what do you think of his movie "Rope"? Made in 48 but not released till mid-70's cuz he didn't think it turned out good I liked it. Cute leads too.

by Anonymousreply 21November 4, 2021 2:39 AM

It's dreary. Those cantankerous long takes destroy any possibility of suspense or intrigue. It's the opposite of cinema.

by Anonymousreply 1October 22, 2021 8:43 AM

I love it all: a couple of pretty students who are too-clever-by-half, a beautiful apartment, Jimmy Stewart’s moral indignation, and a mysteriously capacious, human-sized wooden chest to serve dinner off of. What’s not to like?

by Anonymousreply 2October 22, 2021 8:56 AM

Rope is great to watch to see how clever Hitch and others are in playing a scene without editing. There's a lot of dialogue and stage direction, keeping the actors moving. Each scene before the "edit" is the length of time a roll of film takes to run through a camera.

Is it a success like other films Hitch directed? No, but it is a great watch if you're studying the mechanics of filmmaking.

by Anonymousreply 3October 22, 2021 9:38 AM

OP, the film was indeed released in 1948, the year it was filmed. You are probably confused because it was never re-released nor available to see again until the 1970s, which was unusual.

by Anonymousreply 4October 22, 2021 9:45 AM

I think it is interesting that much of Patrick Hamilton's original dialog was jettisoned because the censors found it too Gay. Benign phrases such as "old boy" were considered "too Gay."

by Anonymousreply 5October 22, 2021 9:50 AM

R5 I read that characters were actually gay, but due to censorship there were only lots of hints.

by Anonymousreply 6October 22, 2021 9:53 AM

Thee film was based on a stage play in which which the two leads were a gay couple, the play having been inspired by but not directly based on the Leopold/Loeb case. The screenplay by Hume Cronyn and Arthur Laurents had to rely completely on gay subtext, although it's pretty blatent for the period.

by Anonymousreply 7October 22, 2021 9:56 AM

R6. Two different things. It was a bit of a joke. The relationship between the two is pretty explicit for a 1948 film, but what the censors cut was common British language that had no Gay meaning at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 22, 2021 9:57 AM

^ Gay subtext and coding

by Anonymousreply 9October 22, 2021 10:10 AM

It's deliciously perverse and Hitchcock's experimental style of filming is fascinating. The acting and physical production are first rate. It didn't work as a commercial film then or now but I've always loved it.

by Anonymousreply 10October 22, 2021 10:30 AM

[quote] "It's deliciously perverse and Hitchcock's experimental style of filming is fascinating."

Indeed, R10. He shot single takes lasting ten and eleven minutes (among other things)! Here he discusses shooting the opening of "Rope", & how one of the takes was ruined, after ALLLLMOST making it successfully to the end. It starts @ 2:39.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 22, 2021 10:41 AM

The first time I saw it was on video in the 1980s. I didn't make the gay connection between the two leads until I saw it the second time.

by Anonymousreply 12October 22, 2021 10:42 AM

Yes, r11. He wanted to shoot the whole film in one long single take but it wasn't possible. Film magazines at the time held only ten minutes worth of film.

by Anonymousreply 13October 22, 2021 10:46 AM

Great movie. Loved Mrs. Wilson.

by Anonymousreply 14October 22, 2021 12:20 PM

It's a daunting challenge R10/R13. But Hitchcock was definitely up to it, even if the technology wasn't. Sokurov's "Russian Ark" is an interesting (and pretty famous) example of a single-take film....with a cast of hundreds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 22, 2021 8:58 PM

Wow, I thought those guys were too nice but didn't fit the pieces together. I loved how upscale it all looked too.

by Anonymousreply 16October 28, 2021 1:24 AM

One of those incidents where the real life story is much more interesting than the movie.

by Anonymousreply 17October 28, 2021 1:31 AM

It's brilliant. Noel Coward visited the set whilst it was being made and commented on the innovative technique.

by Anonymousreply 18October 28, 2021 1:40 AM

IIRC there were five Hitchock films that were out of circulation for a couple of decades because of copyright disputes.

Rope was one of them.

Here's an article explaining the particulars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 28, 2021 2:56 AM

I like rope

by Anonymousreply 20October 28, 2021 3:05 AM

Joan Chandler was hot - why didn't she have a career?

by Anonymousreply 21November 4, 2021 2:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!