Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

TODAY Show: China spreading disinformation to Americans through social media

As NBC News’ special network-wide series Behind the Wall continues to explore the increasingly complex relationship between the U.S. and China, TODAY senior international correspondent Keir Simmons reports on an investigation into an apparent campaign of disinformation originating in China that’s targeted millions of American online.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 22, 2021 2:29 PM

No shit! Did anyone think it was just the Russians?

by Anonymousreply 1October 22, 2021 3:23 AM

Man. That’s bad when Hoda and Kathie Lee call you out.

by Anonymousreply 2October 22, 2021 3:25 AM

Well DUH. All powers do that. Jesus. Flyover rubes, man. Have to be taught the fucking basics.

by Anonymousreply 3October 22, 2021 3:27 AM

R2 Kathie Lee is gone, she has been replaced by one of the few political daughters to find real success as a broadcaster, Jenna Bush Hager.

by Anonymousreply 4October 22, 2021 3:31 AM

I've seen it here on Datalounge.

You can always tell because their English is really bad. Even when it's passable, they make little mistakes that are a dead giveaway.

And if you'll notice, any time there is even a little bit of negative information about china here, the trolls immediately defend them.

I knew this was going on for a long time. Even on this site.

by Anonymousreply 5October 22, 2021 3:34 AM

I would also add, don't be surprised, but I'm sure we do similar things in other countries.

by Anonymousreply 6October 22, 2021 3:37 AM

Chinese men can be very sexy

by Anonymousreply 7October 22, 2021 3:45 AM

FOUND ONE AT R7! OMG, it's true!

by Anonymousreply 8October 22, 2021 7:04 AM

Rosie O'Donnell has issued a statement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 22, 2021 8:42 AM

Russiagate! Russiagate! Russiag... Oh, so we cannot use it anymore because the public has forgotten about it and it has been proven that it was all a hoax? Oh well, leave it to us to stir the pot: Chinagate! Chinagate! CHINAGATE!!!!!!!

The MSM are truly pathetic, especially if we take into account that 25% of America's economy is tied to China, and it also is the UE's and Australia's main trading partner. Talk about shooting ourselves in the foot or, rather, destroying the economy out of sheer dogmatic stupidity. Politicians and their overlords at the military industrial complex are beyond stupid, as they don't seem to realize that in order to maintain their privileges, they NEED a functioning economy and living in a state of perpetual war is both dangerous and destabilizing.

Also, R3 and R6 are correct: every single country does engage in propaganda campaigns on social media, including (or should it be ESPECIALLY?) the US and its allies.

by Anonymousreply 10October 22, 2021 8:51 AM

I hope NBC can at least tell the difference between China and people speaking Chinese or with Chinese/Asian names, last time an expert/group published a report on social media disinformation, they labeled those Falun/Epoch times Facebook posts etc as disinformation from China too.

by Anonymousreply 11October 22, 2021 8:52 AM

Well I see the Peking Propaganda Bureau has chimed in at R10.

Right on time!

by Anonymousreply 12October 22, 2021 9:00 AM

Please, allow me to translate R12's response into something both coherent and truthful:

~~~ I don't have any valid arguments and I am too stupid and lazy to think for myself, so I am going to accuse anyone with whom I disagree of being Chinese bots. Just as a few months ago, I accused everybody whose opinions I didn't like of being Russian bots, Karens, old men who are out of touch, ugly and fat basement dwellers, belligerent lesbians or insane trannies.

Inserting facile and puerile arguments into every conversation is my speciality, and it makes me feel important because I LOVE to engage in disruptive behaviour, like a petulant child! ~end of translation~

Thank you for your inept contribution, R12. You have truly showed everyone what you're capable of doing! Now, if you don't mind, allow the adults to continue our conversation.

by Anonymousreply 13October 22, 2021 9:12 AM

I have three words for you, R13.

CHING CHONG, MOTHERFUCKER!

by Anonymousreply 14October 22, 2021 9:16 AM

Social media is a societal cancer. Where the most stupid are exploited and manipulated.

by Anonymousreply 15October 22, 2021 9:18 AM

The important thing to bear in mind here is that it’s not my fault.

by Anonymousreply 16October 22, 2021 9:21 AM

One of the things that bothered me about the troll Matt, despite his usual trolling and threats, was that he would call just about anybody either "Boris" or "Ling-Ling," and that just made the contrarians and cranks insist that there were no trolls from other countries here at all, it was just Matt being delusional again.

They always seemed to pair up with that one really angry guy who goes on and on and on about how there are no trolls on DL at all, and it's just the LIEberal media unfairly making Russia and China look bad. I have some replies on this thread on ignore apparently so I'm assuming he's already been here.

by Anonymousreply 17October 22, 2021 9:25 AM

Oh my Lord, R14! Ching chong, motherfucker?!?!?!!!!!!

That is the CLEVEREST response in all history. You have completely disproven my point, and I stand corrected: your brilliance is above and beyond outstanding! I bet that luminaries like Adam Smith, Marx, Chomsky, Kant and Keynes would be IMPRESSED.

You keep at it, honey. You're truly showing us how great you are!

by Anonymousreply 18October 22, 2021 9:26 AM

I spot the foreign MAGAt at R13 with her British spelling.

by Anonymousreply 19October 22, 2021 9:30 AM

Disinformation about their tiny cock size?

by Anonymousreply 20October 22, 2021 9:49 AM

The foreign troll’s attempts at humor and sarcasm are straight out of foreign troll central casting.

by Anonymousreply 21October 22, 2021 10:26 AM

I remember when I first heard about Facebook. A friend asked me if I was on it and I asked him to explain it to me. I listened rather bemusedly, and when he finished I asked 'Why the fuck would anyone want to do that? I like my anonymity way too much.' He looked at me like I was from another galaxy.

One of the best decisions I made in my life was not to touch Zuck's cat-shit.

by Anonymousreply 22October 22, 2021 10:49 AM

How very righteous of you, R22.

Can we look forward to further chapters in the chronicles of things you never touched? Heroin injection? Appalachian clog dancing? Catfish noodling?

by Anonymousreply 23October 22, 2021 11:30 AM

^ Well aren't you the cunt this morning?

by Anonymousreply 24October 22, 2021 11:35 AM

Svetalanas are busy fending themselves against 1000+ covid deaths every day, so now it's fucking fat, ugly Lin Lings' turn to spread their super-gonorrhea-like mistruths.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 22, 2021 12:00 PM

Youtube alone is great source of disinformation. I always tell people, do not watch videos from China or Russian channels, no matter the subject.

by Anonymousreply 26October 22, 2021 12:03 PM

As the MadTV character Darlene McBride once said, R26: 'I've always thought that it is important to keep a small mind!'

And you would also add: 'xenophobia, racism, willful ignorance and bigotry are fine as long as you call yourself a Democrat'.

And then, people like you dare to criticize Trump supporters by calling them racist, illiterate and narrow-minded... 🙄

by Anonymousreply 27October 22, 2021 12:10 PM

R23 - "You think you are SOOO smart, not eating Drano."

by Anonymousreply 28October 22, 2021 12:10 PM

I never wanted to be on it because I didn’t want to see any of my old classmates from high school ever again and I was afraid some might find me and start the bullying all over again. They were assholes than and they’re assholes now.

by Anonymousreply 29October 22, 2021 12:44 PM

Blue deplorable conspiracy theory and paranoia.

by Anonymousreply 30October 22, 2021 12:52 PM

R25, those zingers fall flat in the US lol

It’s all very Kim Jung Ill:

“You are doltard and nincompoop!”

by Anonymousreply 31October 22, 2021 1:04 PM

Duh !!!

by Anonymousreply 32October 22, 2021 1:18 PM

All of this is very transparent to me. This is just ramping up propaganda by the US state department to shut down any resistance to a batshit crazy military conflict with China over Taiwan. This is exactly how the media leads the American people astray in the lead up to war. I'm not saying that the Chinese government doesn't try to peddle influence domestically, but these news reports are also extremely transparent in how they are trying to manipulate people into almost a religious fervor of nationalism and psychosis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 22, 2021 2:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!