Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Can Aany techheads explain why random Chinese characters appear on TV YouTube app?

A weird thing happened just a moment ago.

I opened up the YouTube app on our smart TV. As anyone who's seen it knows, down the side is a menu with "search" "home" etc on it, and next to these words are little pictures, like a magnifying glass, a house etc. Well, as I scrolled down the list just then, those little pictures turned into Chinese characters as they were highlighted. Ok, I thought. It's some kind of multilingual setting.

So I went into settings to see if something had been toggled on, and the settings wouldn't load (slow internet, I guess), so I moved back to the menu. Scrolling up and down now, nothing happens to those pictures, they remain the same as they were, as pictures of a house, cog etc.

Anyone know why this would be?

by Anonymousreply 34October 22, 2021 1:57 AM

Sorry for the extra 'A' in the title.

by Anonymousreply 1October 22, 2021 12:17 AM

Mandarin or Cantonese, OP? It matters.

by Anonymousreply 2October 22, 2021 12:22 AM

I read Chinese so if you post a screenshot I'll tell you what the Chinese are saying to you through your tv.

by Anonymousreply 3October 22, 2021 12:23 AM

It's gone now R3, so can't do that. I assumed it was just the characters used for "home" "settings" etc.

R2, no distinction there when it comes to the writing.

by Anonymousreply 4October 22, 2021 12:25 AM

Don't do drug!

by Anonymousreply 5October 22, 2021 12:26 AM

Because they want stardom in United States.

by Anonymousreply 6October 22, 2021 12:27 AM

Your television has been hacked by the Chinese. They're watching your every move and using your TV to post on propaganda DL. You need to cover your television in grease and set it on fire. It's your only hope.

by Anonymousreply 7October 22, 2021 12:28 AM

^^ propaganda on DL, not on propaganda DL

by Anonymousreply 8October 22, 2021 12:29 AM

I'm not in the US.

Very helpful, R7, hehe.

I'm not being paranoid about this, I just thought it was weird, and wondered if there was an explanation. If it was just there, I would imagine it was a setting that had been switched on somehow, but it was there one minute, then disappeared, and I don't understand why the icons would change, but not the wording.

by Anonymousreply 9October 22, 2021 12:30 AM

[quote] no distinction there when it comes to the writing.

Not true. Cantonese uses traditional Chinese characters, Mandarin uses more simplified.

by Anonymousreply 10October 22, 2021 12:33 AM

No, I think simplified is used for mainland Chinese all over. Traditional is used outside of mainland Chinese in communities that escaped, for example in Taiwan.

by Anonymousreply 11October 22, 2021 12:35 AM

[quote]I'm not in the US.

Well, we are. So go complain to your country's Chinese Embassy.

by Anonymousreply 12October 22, 2021 12:39 AM

I just did a search on this and it looks like it's an ongoing problem but so far it looks like it's limited to Samsung TVs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 22, 2021 12:40 AM

Here's another.

What kind of TV do you have, OP?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 22, 2021 12:41 AM

R13 - thank you! That's exactly what it looked like for me!

by Anonymousreply 15October 22, 2021 12:41 AM

I read Japanese fluently and can figure out Chinese. The characters are like this:

Japanese: uses traditional characters only.

Cantonese: uses traditional characters but it is very hard for me to read.

Mandarin: uses simplified but I can figure out what it says.

Taiwan uses traditional characters because it was colonized by the Japanese in 1895 and remained a colony until 1945.

It's fairly easy to read complex words across the languages because many modern concepts (political science and science, for instance) were initially created in Japan in the mid to late 19th century, and then the Chinese adopted those character compounds, as did the Koreans. Look up the words for "police" and "nationalism," for example.

by Anonymousreply 16October 22, 2021 12:42 AM

Where the hell do you think it was made?

by Anonymousreply 17October 22, 2021 12:43 AM

Ours is a Samsung, R14, just like these. The only difference is that the characters weren't shown all at once like in that picture, but only appeared when highlighted.

by Anonymousreply 18October 22, 2021 12:43 AM

Those characters don't mean those words. I think it's just a glitch. Those are very weird, not at all common characters.

by Anonymousreply 19October 22, 2021 12:45 AM

So, it kinda makes sense now. If the TV was made in China, I guess it has settings for Chinese characters too, and maybe a glitch caused it to show them briefly.

by Anonymousreply 20October 22, 2021 12:45 AM

Are you using a VPN? Because that can do it.

by Anonymousreply 21October 22, 2021 12:48 AM

I just found this solution on Reddit:

[quote]Resetting the Smart Hub worked. It's annoying because you nuke all associated login / account stuff, but it fixed it.

[quote]My TV : UN60KS8000

[quote]Menu Steps that fixed it for me:

[quote]Navigate to Home > Settings > Support > Self Diagnosis > Smart Hub reset. The default pin is 0000.

[quote]After this, you will probably need to re agree to all the TOS and setup accounts, but when I got through that and went back to YouTube it was all good again. Hope that helps someone.

Good Luck, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 22, 2021 12:48 AM

The characters are gibberish. Those are not the Chinese words for those things.

by Anonymousreply 23October 22, 2021 12:49 AM

Those characters in r13 are what’s called ‘亂碼‘/luan ma, random characters that don’t mean anything.

[quote] nonsense characters displayed when software fails to render text according to its intended character encoding

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 22, 2021 12:49 AM

Thanks to those helpful posters above! It all makes a lot more sense now.

by Anonymousreply 25October 22, 2021 12:51 AM

Meaningless Chinese words...hmmm...

by Anonymousreply 26October 22, 2021 12:52 AM

The 'Code Page' that is referenced for the bullet list is being overwritten/corrupted. It's called 'crappy programming'. If the display is rendered using HTML, it's, I believe called the 'CodeSet'.

I don't know if it is allowed to inject HTML into datalounge comments (I've only been a member a few days), but a person could theoretically do it to a comment as an example.

by Anonymousreply 27October 22, 2021 12:54 AM

Thats some scary shit right there. Be sure to check the foot of your bed tonight in case there's a pod about to "blossom."

by Anonymousreply 28October 22, 2021 12:56 AM

It was probably saying “ Buy Chinese Coca-Cola”. They pee in it before they ship it. It’s a long-running joke. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 29October 22, 2021 12:58 AM

[quote]Those characters in [R13] are what’s called ‘亂碼‘/luan ma, random characters that don’t mean anything.

Thank you! I thought I was going crazy because it looked like gibberish or what Cantonese looks like to me.

by Anonymousreply 30October 22, 2021 12:58 AM

R13 Usually, it just means the program misinterpreted some bytes of data as intended for display as characters on screen. Assuming it's using Unicode character set, those 16-bit word just happen to decode as Chinese characters.

by Anonymousreply 31October 22, 2021 1:07 AM

they "just happen" to be chinese?

no one thought that out?

by Anonymousreply 32October 22, 2021 1:29 AM

It says, “Fuck white people”

by Anonymousreply 33October 22, 2021 1:34 AM

See it through the Jonas eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 22, 2021 1:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!