Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Online acting class?

Sorry, but how the fuck do you learn acting on a webcam? My niece is doing a theatre degree at a state school that costs $50k a year and they've been teaching drama classes on Zoom. How stupid does one have to be to 1. be a theatre major and 2. accept webcam training? How could "acting" on a webcam possibly translate to a theatre production or film set?

by Anonymousreply 7October 22, 2021 4:59 AM

What college is still on Zoom?

What "state school" costs 50K a year?

Any more tall tales, shit for brains OP?

by Anonymousreply 1October 21, 2021 11:18 PM

"What "state school" costs 50K a year?"

The Olivia Benson School of Performing Arts at Hudson University.

by Anonymousreply 2October 21, 2021 11:23 PM

I like OP's particularly retarded gotcha question - how "acting on webcam" could in any way relate to acting on camera.

by Anonymousreply 3October 22, 2021 12:07 AM

She could learn to act on OnlyFans, and get paid.

by Anonymousreply 4October 22, 2021 12:53 AM

Former Hannah Montana actor Cody Linley teaches acting online. It's the best of both worlds!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 22, 2021 4:25 AM

[quote]My niece is doing a theatre degree at a state school that costs $50k a year

No school costs that much. Vermont's state school costs the most, if you're out of state, at $43K a year.

That doesn't include books.

[quote]and they've been teaching drama classes on Zoom.

Depends on the class but this is not ideal.

[quote]How stupid does one have to be to 1. be a theatre major

He types on a gossip board about actors, many of whom, went to theatre schools.

(Blah, blah, blah. Some didn't but MANY did.)

[quote]and 2. accept webcam training? How could "acting" on a webcam possibly translate to a theatre production or film set?

You don't really have an understanding of what goes on in an acting class. You don't even like the idea of anyone becoming an actor.

There's a lot of theory involved with acting. That could be taught on Zoom. There's also some practical skills like breaking down characters, lining scripts, knowing your beats, etc. There's historical topics as well. When you're a theater major you don't just learn how to perform. You have to learn the basis of it.

If it's a performance class, then yes it should be taught in person but not all classes are performance based.

I was bored out of my mind in "Theater of the Absurd" but I had to take it just the same.

You'll do acting exercises in class. You'll do performances in a few of your classes. That's separate from a production being put on by the theater department. That's all different than learning acting for the camera which will likely not be on a "film set." Many schools just teach stage acting and it translates over to on camera. For many actors, their first on camera performances are things they star in produced by students in the film department so they can have something for their reels. (Which is why you'll usually see student films/shorts at the start of an actor's IMDB.)

by Anonymousreply 6October 22, 2021 4:36 AM

theater majors only take a few acting classes (unless they are getting a BFA in Drama)

they have to learn scenery, playwrighting, directing, makeup

by Anonymousreply 7October 22, 2021 4:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!