Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How Many Users Does Really Facebook Have? The Company Struggles to Figure It Out

Over half the accounts are fake.

WSJ: An internal Facebook presentation this spring called the phenomenon of single users with multiple accounts “very prevalent” among new accounts. The finding came after an examination of roughly 5,000 recent sign-ups on the service indicated that at least 32% and as many as 56% were opened by existing users. The company’s system for detecting such accounts also tends to undercount them, according to the presentation, which was viewed by The Wall Street Journal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 24, 2021 9:04 PM

At issue is the reliability of information that helps inform some big advertisers’ spending decisions. While Facebook says it doesn’t bill advertisers based on its estimates of an ad’s target audience, some advertisers look at those estimates when planning where to allocate their budgets—especially big brands that have turned to Facebook to reach large audiences as broadcast and cable television viewership have declined.

by Anonymousreply 1October 21, 2021 10:42 PM

Potential reach metrics are “a starting point of our strategic conversation with our clients,” said Darren D’Altorio, head of social media at Wpromote, a U.S.-based digital-marketing agency. “If your goal as an advertiser is to reach the most amount of people at the lowest cost, then there would be a very real impact to that number being wrong.”

by Anonymousreply 2October 21, 2021 10:43 PM

Facebook has struggled with the accuracy of some of its metrics in the past. In 2016, the company said it had overestimated viewing time for video ads, leading advertisers to sue. Facebook later settled that lawsuit.

by Anonymousreply 3October 21, 2021 10:44 PM

Facebook is mostly bots and algorithms with those grainy profile pics of long dead people.

by Anonymousreply 4October 21, 2021 10:45 PM

It's why if you notice a spam account (which usually exists to promote shit or spread spam or malware) or a faked account (which happens often, especially with celebrities, for many reasons) FB will do absolutely nothing about it, and tell you it doesn't violate their community standards.

by Anonymousreply 5October 21, 2021 10:45 PM

Facebook’s answer to everything is that they are too large to be able to answer and questions and they play ignorant.

But if a company is so large and unwieldy, shouldn’t it be segmented off for better control and operation. Maybe one boy wonder is not enough staff to handle it.

Seems like it’s spinning my out of control. They constantly claim that the company is too large to manage.

by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2021 10:48 PM

What do all their executives and staff do all day long? It's just a self-running site like Datalounge, isn't it? You go overboard, everyone tags you and you sit on the sidelines for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 7October 21, 2021 10:55 PM

Posted on the wrong thread. My bet is that 5% of users are real and the rest are fake.

by Anonymousreply 8October 22, 2021 1:32 PM

I know DL trends elderly but Facebook is on its way out. All the kids are on TikTok or Twitch. They think Facebook is lame.

by Anonymousreply 9October 24, 2021 4:43 PM

I used to have a second Facebook account that I had created in the late 2000s and that used a pseudonym. It was before their real name policy was instituted. A few years ago, I couldn’t get into it when Facebook asked for ID to recover access. At some point though months later, I got some email from Facebook that allowed me to get back. I closed the account when I got back in since I figured it was probably flagged as suspicious and I hadn’t used the account for years.

by Anonymousreply 10October 24, 2021 4:53 PM

R2, I don't even know where to start with that response. That was a total word salad of nothingness.

by Anonymousreply 11October 24, 2021 5:41 PM

Who the fuck is still on Facebook? Lol, it’s basically MySpace at this point. No one relevant uses Facebook for anything.

by Anonymousreply 12October 24, 2021 9:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!