Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How is Linda Ronstadt?

Has anyone heard any update in the past 18 months? Love her.

by Anonymousreply 59April 11, 2022 6:35 PM

I'm more worried about Joni Mitchell.

by Anonymousreply 1October 21, 2021 9:53 PM

She's no good.

by Anonymousreply 2October 21, 2021 9:57 PM

Love Linda Ronstadt.

by Anonymousreply 3October 21, 2021 9:59 PM

She's got a crush on you, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 21, 2021 10:04 PM

It’s a tragedy that the three of them used to provide rapturous, heavenly harmonies moving enough to make the angels cry, and now they’re only hired to pull in charity work as the Budweiser frogs.

by Anonymousreply 5October 21, 2021 10:05 PM

R5 What are you babbling about

by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2021 10:08 PM

I love Linda’s version of Tumbling Dice, one of my favorites. She was quite a heartbreaker in her younger years, sounds like a lot of musicians wanted her.

by Anonymousreply 7October 21, 2021 10:12 PM

I subscribe to her Google Alerts, if I'm saying it correctly. There hasn't been much reported lately, save information about tribute concerts around the US.

by Anonymousreply 8October 21, 2021 10:17 PM

Hopefully dead.

by Anonymousreply 9October 21, 2021 10:21 PM

Sadly, she is no longer receiving visitors.

by Anonymousreply 10October 21, 2021 10:23 PM

"Just One Look" (live)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 21, 2021 10:25 PM

r9 Cunt!

by Anonymousreply 12October 21, 2021 10:27 PM

I'm worried about Linda

by Anonymousreply 13December 6, 2021 2:59 PM

It bugs me that she made a mint off of whitewashing soul classics.

by Anonymousreply 14December 6, 2021 3:01 PM

oh stop

by Anonymousreply 15December 6, 2021 3:03 PM

She's a culture appropriating Mexican bitch, right R14?

by Anonymousreply 16December 6, 2021 3:08 PM

Don't put words in my mouth, dearie r16. I was glad that Elvis Costello threw shade on her attempted New Wave reinvention. Linda Ronstadt never established a sound. She was a covers queen.

by Anonymousreply 17December 6, 2021 3:10 PM

She did what she did and she did it well.

by Anonymousreply 18December 6, 2021 3:14 PM

Wasn't she on a depends commercial?

by Anonymousreply 19December 6, 2021 3:20 PM

Joni is doing a lot better than Linda:

“I always think that polio was a rehearsal for the rest of my life: I’ve had to come back several times from things. And this last one was a real whopper. But, you know, I’m hobbling along but I’m doing all right!—Joni Mitchell

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 6, 2021 3:22 PM

she has this: A re-evaluation in late 2019 changed her diagnosis to the rare brain disorder, progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP). Ronstadt told Cooper that her illness has had a major impact on her life.

by Anonymousreply 21December 6, 2021 3:30 PM

[Quote] Ronstadt told Cooper that her illness has had a major impact on her life.

No shit.

by Anonymousreply 22December 6, 2021 3:38 PM

Wait, R21 — so she doesn’t have MS? Is this new diagnosis, er, better? Or worse.

I watched the excruciating documentary about Selma Blair (a lovely person—I mean ‘excruciating’ in the sense that it caused me physical and emotional anguish to watch it) and was wondering how Ronstadt was doing. Seems Selma Blair is doing okay with her stem cell transplants.

by Anonymousreply 23December 6, 2021 4:16 PM

This is what the article said in more detail (it was initially Parkinson's):

"But these accolades are bittersweet. In 2000, she began to have difficulty singing. As she told CNN's Anderson Cooper, "I couldn't hear the top end of my voice. I couldn't hear the part that I used to get in tune. My throat would clutch up. It would just be like I had a cramp or something." She was initially diagnosed as having Parkinson's disease, and by 2009 she had to retire from singing. A re-evaluation in late 2019 changed her diagnosis to the rare brain disorder, progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP)."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 6, 2021 4:22 PM

[quote] She was a covers queen.

In other words, r17, a "singer."

by Anonymousreply 25December 6, 2021 4:24 PM

Thanks so much, R24. And Michael J Fox has Parkinson’s, right? While watching the Selma Blair doc, I kept thinking of him and his case of “MS”. I’m such a ditz!

by Anonymousreply 26December 6, 2021 4:29 PM

l didn't like any of Elvis Costello's music until Linda released Mad Love. Here's "Girls Talk."

I hope Linda is well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 6, 2021 4:34 PM

She had Parkinson's for 20 years. It's amazing she's still alive.

by Anonymousreply 28December 6, 2021 4:38 PM

[quote] "She had Parkinson's for 20 years. It's amazing she's still alive."

My mother had it for thirty, and was two years younger than Linda. Give it time.

by Anonymousreply 29December 6, 2021 4:43 PM

[Quote] In other words, [R17], a "singer."

No. Most don't make their career by singing other people's hits. Someone like Bonnie Raitt delved deep to build her catalogue. Linda took the easy route by doing well known hits.

by Anonymousreply 30December 6, 2021 4:46 PM

[quote] Most don't make their career by singing other people's hits.

Indeed

by Anonymousreply 31December 6, 2021 5:40 PM

Standards were show tunes, hon. Some of the aforementioned made them hits. And speaking of standards, let's not compare Linda's American Songbook renditions to those by some of the names you've mentioned...

by Anonymousreply 32December 6, 2021 5:42 PM

Weird timing. My dream last night was that she died.

by Anonymousreply 33December 6, 2021 5:44 PM

SHe's on my 2022 deathwatch.

by Anonymousreply 34December 6, 2021 5:56 PM

[quote]Linda took the easy route by doing well known hits.

Only her singles, really, which are the worst of her recorded output. I'm talking about the stuff from Don't Cry Now through Get Closer, as well as some of the records after the Nelson Riddle period.

by Anonymousreply 35December 6, 2021 6:01 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 6, 2021 6:05 PM

Costello still doesn't like how she performed his songs, but basically apologized for being SUCH a cunt about it and wished her well with dealing with her illness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 6, 2021 6:07 PM

I was wondering about her recently as well. Love her albums from the ‘70s.

by Anonymousreply 38December 6, 2021 6:13 PM

[Quote] as well as some of the records after the Nelson Riddle period.

What? Like when she foghorned her way through "Anyone Who Had a Heart"? The only latterday version of that song worth talking about is Wynonna Judd's.

by Anonymousreply 39December 6, 2021 6:32 PM

I feel bad for Linda. She said she always loved to sing and now she can't. Speaking of Joni Mitchell, did she quit smoking?

by Anonymousreply 40December 6, 2021 6:36 PM

Joni looks like she smokes hams.

by Anonymousreply 41December 6, 2021 6:37 PM

I think Joni was forced to quit after her stroke/aneurysm.

by Anonymousreply 42December 6, 2021 8:47 PM

r32 I wasn't comparing her to them, hon. I was just saying that a lot of great singers did "other people's" hits

by Anonymousreply 43December 6, 2021 8:49 PM

[quote] Most don't make their career by singing other people's hits.

That's how most artists in popular music worked for years. And frankly, still do. If you believe most of your faves wrote more than a hiccup or two on their songs, you're easily tricked.

by Anonymousreply 44December 6, 2021 9:25 PM

[quote] How is Linda Ronstadt?

Um....Linda? Hmm. I mean, there were just so many women hanging off of my big cock in those years....which one was Linda, again?

by Anonymousreply 45December 7, 2021 1:48 AM

2022 death watch?

by Anonymousreply 46December 31, 2021 12:26 PM

Who is the miserable, twisted asshole who jumped into a thread inquiring after Linda Ronstadt's precarious health just to shit all over her in post after post saying exactly the same thing?

Whoever he is, he needs to move it along.

I won't call him Toots. He deserves no such attention.

by Anonymousreply 47December 31, 2021 1:02 PM

[quote] I was glad that Elvis Costello threw shade on her attempted New Wave reinvention.

Ironyproof!

by Anonymousreply 48December 31, 2021 1:05 PM

Please r39, Wynonna sings that song like she’s yodeling through a mouthful of Milk Duds.

by Anonymousreply 49December 31, 2021 1:17 PM

R39 You were obviously high when you wrote that.

by Anonymousreply 50December 31, 2021 1:52 PM

R50 Agree, both versions are amaing. But I personally prefer Wynona's slightly more. Meanwhile, just watched "The Sound of My Voice" again. I hope she's doing well. Ronstadt is seriously a national treasure.

by Anonymousreply 51April 9, 2022 10:39 PM

Wynona's version of Anyone Who Had a Heart makes my ears bleed.

But anyway, back on topic - we need a 2022 interview with Linda.

by Anonymousreply 52April 9, 2022 11:04 PM

[quote]I love Linda’s version of Tumbling Dice, one of my favorites. She was quite a heartbreaker in her younger years, sounds like a lot of musicians wanted her.

Not only "wanted her", lots of musicians had her. I heard from a few friends who worked in the music biz, at one point, Linda fucked every member of her band.

I never got her appeal, she mostly yelled. I did like “Different Drum” and "You’re No Good”, but never found her voice anything special. Yes, it’s true, she never had her own sound. LR was always doing covers and her reinterpretations brought little to the original songs.

Linda didn’t even write “Different Drum”, Mike Nesmith of The Monkees wrote that song. Clint Ballard wrote ‘You’re No Good”, which was originally a hit for Dee Dee Warwick in 1963.

Linda was never a songwriter, it seemed her team picked the songs she covered. I wonder what actual level of input she had.

It’s been astonishing to see Linda has such a large rabid fanbase on DL. Especially as she’s so MOR and quite dull musically. Her private life seemed more exciting than her life as a singer.

Comparing Linda to such interpretive artists such as Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan etc, is ridiculous, especially her non-style was certainly not as unique as the singers listed. Each of these listed singers brought their own unique take to the songs they performed.

For example, Rod Stewart never had a technically perfect voice, yet, he always brought a new perspective to the songs he re-interpreted, including standards to Motown to rock music. His first three solo albums were amazing, as was his work with The Faces.

by Anonymousreply 53April 10, 2022 5:40 AM

R53 You seem strangely over-sensitive to this topic.

by Anonymousreply 54April 10, 2022 5:42 AM

She did not write her own songs. Yet, she made them hits. It's probably mostly thanks to having a good producer but she had the voice to interpret and deliver. IMHO

by Anonymousreply 55April 10, 2022 1:51 PM

R53 pretty much nails her. Her Motown covers are particularly awful. I'd disagree about Rod Stewart--kinda glad he has faded out as a little of him went a long way.

by Anonymousreply 56April 10, 2022 2:15 PM

[quote]Not only "wanted her", lots of musicians had her. I heard from a few friends who worked in the music biz, at one point, Linda fucked every member of her band.

Oh please. Most women in rock during that period were very promiscuous. It came with the territory. It was also pre AIDS, where the worst thing you could catch was an STD. The 70's were a very open time sexually. It wasn't just in music.

And let's not act like a lot of the men weren't doing the same, if not worse. Shit Peter Asher, her manager, was cavorting around in public with an eighteen-year-old Mackenzie Phillips while married.

[quote]For example, Rod Stewart never had a technically perfect voice, yet, he always brought a new perspective to the songs he re-interpreted, including standards to Motown to rock music

Rod Stewart's standards albums were terrible. Elevator muzak set to his whiskey induced vocals. I still remember him butchering "WATT a wonderful world." at some awards show.

by Anonymousreply 57April 10, 2022 10:44 PM

[quote][R53] pretty much nails her. Her Motown covers are particularly awful. I'd disagree about Rod Stewart--kinda glad he has faded out as a little of him went a long way.

Apparently lots of people only know Rod's hit songs, especially when he went Hollywood and his standards LPs. I was talking about to his first three solo albums, there's lots of great music there. His fourth LP "Never A Dull Moment" also has few good songs too. "You Wear It Well" which Rod wrote and "I'd Rather Go Blind" are great songs.

His first LP was called "An Old Raincoat Won't Ever Let You Down:, in the US it was released as "The Rod Stewart Album", "Gasoline Alley" and "Every Picture Tells a Story" are all excellent. His song choices for these three LPs were diverse and he also knew to hire some of the best British rock musicians of the time.

At that point, Rod had already been around the British music scene for many years, he worked with many of the influential British blues and rock bands. Fact is,

I'm not even a huge Rod Stewart fan, but it's apparent he sure knew how to make a song his own, same with the late great Joe Cocker.

by Anonymousreply 58April 11, 2022 6:32 PM

I enjoy this guy’s videos:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59April 11, 2022 6:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!