Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hiking family mystery solved

As suspected. Dehydration and heat exhaustion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83February 19, 2022 2:32 AM

The easiest explanation is usually the answer.

by Anonymousreply 1October 21, 2021 9:40 PM

Occam's razor.

by Anonymousreply 2October 21, 2021 9:46 PM

BUT NO OMG IT CANNOT BE HEAT EXHAUSTION, BECAUSE ______

by Anonymousreply 3October 21, 2021 9:49 PM

Well, duh . . .

by Anonymousreply 4October 21, 2021 9:51 PM

Thanks - I was wondering about that one. Still say the parents were insane to take a 1-year old baby on that hike in hot weather.

by Anonymousreply 5October 21, 2021 9:54 PM

So the DOG died from heat exhaustion as well?!?

by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2021 10:01 PM

If it didn't have enough water R6. Dogs do die from that too. What do YOU think happened? Something conspiratorial or alien related, .no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 7October 21, 2021 10:12 PM

R6 Didn't they say the dog was on a leash dead next to the man?

by Anonymousreply 8October 21, 2021 10:13 PM

tg, begone cunts!

by Anonymousreply 9October 21, 2021 10:13 PM

I think the dog was with the woman.

by Anonymousreply 10October 21, 2021 10:14 PM

A few years ago I was hospitalized for dehydration. I had a really sore throat and didn't eat or drink anything for three days. It's the worst I have ever felt, and it leaves you nearly incoherent (until you replenish your fluids).

by Anonymousreply 11October 21, 2021 10:16 PM

R7 - There was water nearby, hence all the speculation about “toxic algae” being the cause of death.

by Anonymousreply 12October 21, 2021 10:19 PM

[quote]Still say the parents were insane to take a 1-year old baby on that hike in hot weather.

Insane and/or incredibly stupid and/or careless. Too bad they can't be prosecuted and jailed for killing their innocent child, because -- oops! They're dead themselves.

by Anonymousreply 13October 21, 2021 10:20 PM

I think a lot of people especially in cooler climates don't realize how fast you can get overheated.

by Anonymousreply 14October 21, 2021 10:20 PM

R12, it was investigated and found to be a false lead.

by Anonymousreply 15October 21, 2021 10:21 PM

R6, I have a brother-in-law who breeds and trains English Springer Spaniels for the uber wealthy, he even has a billionaire client. He is extremely careful about the dogs overheating, he says dogs simply do not have the ability to cool down as quickly as humans, so it is a real thing.

My guess, like many others, is that the dog collapsed first. That means they likely carried it for a while too. I would imagine once they realized that the baby was in trouble too, the confusion and fear must have been overwhelming. I almost hope they didn’t even understand what was happening. Yes, they were very stupid and this is a totally senseless tragedy, but I still can’t accept their suffering, even with their terrible lack of judgment and common sense. And now their family has to live with what they did too.

R11, would you care to share more? I believe you. I’m just curious about how old you are, the circumstances that led up to it, etc. Why were you in for three whole days, were your vitals that off? It sounds awful.

by Anonymousreply 16October 21, 2021 10:22 PM

Plus the coroner would have found evidence.

by Anonymousreply 17October 21, 2021 10:22 PM

Really self-absorbed people to lead a baby and a dog to their deaths over fucking hiking. Goddamn hippies.

by Anonymousreply 18October 21, 2021 10:25 PM

They could've left the baby in the car.

by Anonymousreply 19October 21, 2021 10:26 PM

R18, hippies are my age by now (over 70). These idiots were just young and stupid, and too self-absorbed to be responsible for animals and babies.

by Anonymousreply 20October 21, 2021 10:29 PM

Yes, they were so busy being “hipper than thou,” they took two innocent lives.

Idiots.

by Anonymousreply 21October 21, 2021 10:42 PM

There are jokes about people who are too stupid to come in out of the rain, but how smart do you have to be to realize that 107 degrees isn't just uncomfortable, it's dangerous?

by Anonymousreply 22October 21, 2021 10:44 PM

On the same day they confirmed Brian is dead. What will we talk about now?

by Anonymousreply 23October 21, 2021 10:48 PM

leave, cunts.

by Anonymousreply 24October 21, 2021 10:51 PM

They didn't even bring a bowl for the dog. Were they just going to play Russian roulette with which body of water the dog drank from—the ones with algal blooms, the ones with contaminated with grow-site runoff, or the clean ones?

They were in the area long enough to know that the "DANGER" signs come and go throughout the year, and there's usually a lag of at least a day in getting them up.

by Anonymousreply 25October 21, 2021 10:53 PM

"Having a baby won't change us!"

by Anonymousreply 26October 21, 2021 10:54 PM

The article said the temperatures were in the 70s where they began their hike. They did not walk out into 109 degree weather. It heated up while they were already out there.

I live in No Cal and we've had extreme weather, over 110-114 degrees for the first time ever in my lifetime in the last few years. When that happens, anyone who can gets inside and tries to stay cool. Businesses close and we go on energy conservation alert. Even high 90s just about kill me. I just hide out on days over 95 degrees if I can.

I feel so sorry for that family. Probably out too far to get back easily when the temperatures rose. What a miserable way to die. And their dog, too. It's heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 27October 21, 2021 11:07 PM

All these people dying on hiking trails. "Hiking" to me means dirt, poison oak/ivy, snakes and predators, getting lost and being a crime victim.

No thanks; we invented civilization for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 28October 21, 2021 11:13 PM

This is really tragic, but supposedly intelligent people make make fatal errors in judgement all the time. Were they new to the region, ignorant of the effects of extreme heat, and thought perhaps that they had more than enough time to make it back once the temperature began to rise?

Taking an child on a hike like that seems insane, but if you meander through YT, there are young families who sail around the world with newborns, toddlers and young children. They are frequently thousands of miles from the nearest point of land, far from any medical facilities.

by Anonymousreply 29October 21, 2021 11:24 PM

R11 what do you think brought it on? We're you exerting yourself a lot physically?

by Anonymousreply 30October 21, 2021 11:42 PM

I meant were. It autocorrected for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 31October 21, 2021 11:44 PM

One of the last things on earth I'd do with my free time is hiking...and I'm white!

What's with these people?

by Anonymousreply 32October 22, 2021 2:22 AM

They died of Darwinism.

by Anonymousreply 33October 22, 2021 2:30 AM

Are we also aware they had a nanny? That was the person who reported them missing.

So they could have spared the baby from their nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 34October 22, 2021 2:40 AM

I can't believe it that the husband worked for Google and even worked on Google Map. How could they not know that their organs were shutting down? How could the dog not become agitated when it needed water? Yes, many people have died from severe dehydration but most they were alone. Not like this.

by Anonymousreply 35October 22, 2021 2:45 AM

[quote] Are we also aware they had a nanny? . . . So they could have spared the baby from their nonsense.

What?!! And not have cute family photos to post on IG?

Who upthread tried to excuse them because the temps were lower in the early morning? Seriously? Is there anyone on planet earth that doesn't know temps rise as the day progresses? Stop with any excuses. There are none. Poor baby and poor doggie.

Narcissists do not make good parents.

by Anonymousreply 36October 22, 2021 2:50 AM

3 humans and a dog died at the same time ?

by Anonymousreply 37October 22, 2021 2:52 AM

R27 Yeah but they have phones with the weather forecast on it. Why would you go out for a hike if it’s going to be 110 that day regardless if it’s in the 70s at that moment? Or even in the next few hours. Who would risk that with their kid and their dog?

by Anonymousreply 38October 22, 2021 2:52 AM

R37 I bet the stupid ass man watched them all die around him before he did.

by Anonymousreply 39October 22, 2021 2:53 AM

R39, did he take pictures for their posthumous family albums?

by Anonymousreply 40October 22, 2021 2:56 AM

[quote] I have a brother-in-law who breeds and trains English Springer Spaniels for the uber wealthy, he even has a billionaire client. He is extremely careful about the dogs overheating, he says dogs simply do not have the ability to cool down as quickly as humans, so it is a real thing.

[quote] My guess, like many others, is that the dog collapsed first. That means they likely carried it for a while too.

Dogs and cats--all animals--have a much stronger survival instinct than humans.

If he didn't run off to look for water himself, it's because he was tethered to the dad.

by Anonymousreply 41October 22, 2021 3:00 AM

This is a planned suicide/murder pact. Now we know how they all died, but still we need to know more about the motive since this can't be accidental. Total organ shutdown doesn't just happen in 4-5 minutes. If they didn't know they were severely dehydrating, at least the dog would try to find itself some water to drink.

by Anonymousreply 42October 22, 2021 3:02 AM

Kind of infuriating. How dumb were they? Killed the baby and the dog with their stupidity and arrogance.

by Anonymousreply 43October 22, 2021 3:12 AM

I would be so angry at them if I were family or friends of theirs.

by Anonymousreply 44October 22, 2021 3:14 AM

Fucking morons. Killed their baby and dog.

by Anonymousreply 45October 22, 2021 3:16 AM

THIS CANNOT BE THE EXPLANATION. I am furiously sobbing my raw stinking unquenchable gash with my podcast microphone. THERE HAS BEEN A CRIME!!!

by Anonymousreply 46October 22, 2021 3:19 AM

Does this mean the rave scene, Burning Man and party drugs didn’t have anything to do with it?

by Anonymousreply 47October 22, 2021 3:23 AM

Occam borrowed my razor and never returned it.

by Anonymousreply 48October 22, 2021 3:29 AM

[quote]Taking an child on a hike like that seems insane, but if you meander through YT, there are young families who sail around the world with newborns, toddlers and young children. They are frequently thousands of miles from the nearest point of land, far from any medical facilities.

And those people are selfish, careless idiots as well. So, what the hell is your point?

by Anonymousreply 49October 22, 2021 4:14 AM

Couldn't/wouldn't get with an Asian tech guy, huh? Too boring?

Her parents screwed up.

by Anonymousreply 50October 22, 2021 4:19 AM

R42, it wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 51October 22, 2021 12:13 PM

[quote]This is a planned suicide/murder pact.

Fascinating theory. Do you think the dog and the baby were in on it?

Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 52October 22, 2021 2:04 PM

No one gives any fucks for the people but that poor dog! I will never get over this.

by Anonymousreply 53October 22, 2021 2:08 PM

Typical Asian tiger-mom fuckery. SURE let's take the one year old on a hike! SURE!

by Anonymousreply 54October 22, 2021 2:35 PM

R54, she married an arrogant, airheaded white guy because she didn't have a good tiger mom. A tiger mom would have gotten her married to an Asian techie. Her whole life was a "fuck you" to Asian parenting.

by Anonymousreply 55October 22, 2021 3:12 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 22, 2021 3:28 PM

I am not sure I'm convinced they hiked most of the trail, I suspect either the dog or the baby showed signs of heat exhaustion within 30 minutes and they headed back at that point, but it was too late for all of them by then.

Maybe the dog was leashed but I would bet the guy was carrying the dog because it wasn't able to walk anymore.

The real question has always been why these people went out in the heat, surely after 5 minutes they'd realize it was too hot for the baby and dog, but they didn't. I guess the answer is "stupidity" but it's difficult to comprehend two adults being that dumb.

by Anonymousreply 57October 22, 2021 3:33 PM

R57, stupidity + arrogance.

by Anonymousreply 58October 22, 2021 3:34 PM

If the guy were Gen X and from the south, I’d say it’s macho “doing two-a-day practices in the hot sun until you puke builds character” programming.

But he’s not, so I don’t know where either one of them picked up this macho streak.

Back in the day I ran about 35 miles a week, often in high heat and humidity. But I would have “noped” right out of this fuckery.

by Anonymousreply 59October 22, 2021 3:40 PM

I just realised the couple perished a few miles from the Cary Stayner murders.

by Anonymousreply 60October 24, 2021 11:30 PM

They say they found one empty Camelbak reservoir (water bladder) with them.

Please, if any of you go hiking in hot areas, everyone has to take water with them. Your dog gets saddlebags and carries water for itself. You carry separate water; your spouse carries separate water; the stroller for the baby gets separate water.

Bring a stupid amount of water with you.

by Anonymousreply 61October 24, 2021 11:37 PM

Never take a hike to unknown trails unless you have an experienced person with you and have the proper supplies.

by Anonymousreply 62October 24, 2021 11:44 PM

Oh well it would have made a good episode of I shouldn’t be alive.

by Anonymousreply 63October 24, 2021 11:56 PM

R63, I loved that show.

by Anonymousreply 64October 25, 2021 12:07 AM

R64 Me too. They need to make new seasons.

by Anonymousreply 65October 25, 2021 12:19 AM

totally stupid death

by Anonymousreply 66October 25, 2021 12:55 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 29, 2021 12:11 AM

They were a family of FOUR.

by Anonymousreply 68October 29, 2021 4:33 AM

3 humans and a pet

by Anonymousreply 69October 29, 2021 5:04 AM

That illiterate mod, Billy Goat, or whatever the fuck it's name is, has permanently shut down the Gerrish thread because- victim blaming! The idiots obliterate their entire family including the beloved pet, but hey- not their fault! Those people are a cauldron of toxic, sickening, abusive, grifting low rent trash. Just gutter trash. I will not be going back there, the only reason I was there at all was for the Gabby Petitio murder. Anyway, on some FB thread a women who knew J&E said EC did not want children and she hated the move to Mariposa. One guy there figured out, I think, why that hike from hell went so very wrong, other than the obvious lack of water and extreme heat. He is an avid hiker of many years and he thinks they were power hiking. That is basically running/jogging during a hike, I believe. The tank tops, lack of water and other supplies fits with power hiking. Kreycik did the same. They carry as little as possible on them such as little to no water, supplies, even cell phones. If true, that really just makes them out to be not only unbelievably stupid, but selfish monsters, imo.

by Anonymousreply 70November 1, 2021 12:33 AM

Having managed to give myself heatstroke and dehydration from wandering around the French town I was living in at one time without stopping all day, I can’t even imagine how these poor people felt after subjecting themselves to far more extreme conditions. I hope they were overcome very quickly, because I vividly remember the dizziness, to the extent that I had to literally crawl from my bed to the the bathroom, the nausea and confusion.

I don’t think these people were bad. They were just foolish, as we all are at times, and they have paid a terrible price for it.

by Anonymousreply 71November 1, 2021 12:49 AM

I blame the wife. No man in his right mind would go on a rigorous hike with his child and dog in tow. The whole thing was her idea and she probably bitched about the husband not bringing water the whole time. I’m an avid hiker and it’s hard enough for me to remember my own supplies. Can’t imagine what the husband was going through, trying to get together hiking gear, dog supplies, and stuff for the kid while Cuntzilla posted Instagram stories.

by Anonymousreply 72November 1, 2021 12:50 AM

R72- I blame both of them, equally. They both had a responsibility their child-and pet- and they failed them. That being said, I do have sympathy, and they did not deserve their brutal end. Jon mapped the hike the night before, the entire loop. So that was 8 miles, I think. Hite cove trail, to Devil's Gulch, to SLT. Idk how quickly they could have hiked that, especially if power walking. JG's previous hikes on onx. Com show he did hike very fast on his previous hikes. Someone else looked at his posted hikes, idk. The point is maybe they planned to hike the trail very quickly and thought they would be finished before the temperature climbed higher than it already was. It would really surprise me if one of them did not have to carry Oski. He may have even gotten away from them to make a run for the river. That may have been why JG had him leashed. Just speculation on my part as we will never really know what happened that fateful day. A very sad and unnecessary tragedy. What I vividly remember about my heatstroke is how unimaginably weak I was. Unable to lift my hand or arm. Unable to speak. Had I been alone I would have died, I have no doubt about that. I tried to stand and fell into a sitting position, just dropped full weight on my butt. A sitting position much like the one I imagine Jon was found in. I hope they fell unconscious, into a coma very quickly. ETA: I have been shocked at how many people are so uninformed about the danger and consequences of extreme heat, especially the hikers and residents of Mariposa. The irony of them saying people from the South are stupid. Oh, honey. Bless their backwoods hearts. 😏

by Anonymousreply 73November 1, 2021 1:51 AM

cunt and he was gay marrying the asian fish!

by Anonymousreply 74November 1, 2021 3:32 AM

R74- Do tell! Do you really think he was gay? Lolol, I did wonder the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 75November 1, 2021 3:39 AM

He married asian fish.

by Anonymousreply 76November 1, 2021 3:40 AM

Another update:

(CNN) Family selfies, nature photos, an unanswered text and several calls that were never connected detail the final hours of a California couple and their child before they died on a hiking trail near Yosemite last August.

Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung and their 1-year-old daughter, Miju, died from hyperthermia, the condition of having a high body temperature, with possible dehydration due to environmental exposure.

After several months of investigating with the FBI, Mariposa County Sheriff's Office pulled data from Gerrish's cell phone, allowing it to retrace the family's last steps.

Authorities were able to pull a text message from Gerrish's phone at 11:56 a.m. asking for help. It was never received due to lack of cell service in the area.

"Can you help us," the text read. "On savage lundy trail heading back to Hites cove trail. No water or ver (over) heating with baby."

About 13 minutes following the unsuccessful text, Gerrish's phone showed that he tried calling multiple numbers, not including 911, but again, due to lack of service, the calls never connected, authorities said.

The first call was made at 12:09 p.m. following four subsequent calls at 12:35 p.m. within one minute of each other.

In addition to texts and phone calls, authorities chronicled almost 16 photos from Gerrish's camera roll.

The first photo was a picture taken just a few yards from the trail head around 7:44 the morning of the family's hike, followed by 16 other photos including family selfies, photos of the river and creek, and concluding with a screen shot of their location from a trail app at 12:25 p.m.

The family set out on a hike on Sunday, August 15, after Gerrish, a frequent hiker, plotted the route for the Hite Cove hike, about 8 miles from Yosemite National Park, the night before, according to the sherrif's office.

Around 7:45 a.m., a witness walking in the area saw the family truck heading in the direction of the Hite Cove Trail Head, authorities said. At 8 a.m., the witness saw the truck parked at the trailhead and no family around.

The approximate temperature was 74 to 76 degrees, at elevation 3,880 feet.

The family was reported missing the following day, after the family babysitter arrived for her normal shift but was unable to locate Gerrish, Chung or their daughter, authorities said.

On August 17, search-and-rescue teams found the family dead 1.6 miles from their car on the Savage Lundy Trail. An empty 85-ounce water pack was with them.

At the Savage Lundy Trail intersection, the elevation is approximately 1,800 feet, and the temperature throughout the trail ranged between 107 and 109 degrees, cooling slightly in the evening. That section of the trail is a south/southeast facing slope, so it's exposed to constant sunlight.

The family dog, Oski, was also with them and authorities believe it suffered from heat-related issues, too.

“The cell phone data results were the last thing both the family and detectives were waiting on," Sheriff Jeremy Briese wrote in a Facebook post. "The extracted information confirms our initial findings."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77February 18, 2022 10:26 PM

This whole story is so stupid and tragic. Our lives really are so tenuous.

by Anonymousreply 78February 18, 2022 10:47 PM

Should of went mall walking with the oldies instead.

by Anonymousreply 79February 18, 2022 10:57 PM

A California family that died while hiking in August during high temperatures unsuccessfully attempted to send a series of texts and calls for help to family members.

The Mariposa County Sheriff's Office on Thursday released some of Jonathan Gerrish's cellphone data that was the result of months of work by the Federal Bureau of Investigation's forensics team, which revealed that the husband and father sent a text stating "Can you help us." He also wrote "No water or ver (over) heating with baby," according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

The text messages were not sent because of poor cellphone service in the area where the family was hiking, the investigators said

by Anonymousreply 80February 18, 2022 11:56 PM

Dehydration and exhaustion are no joke. One minute you feel fine on your feet, the next you're in a state of delirium and complete panic, then you're dead.

by Anonymousreply 81February 18, 2022 11:58 PM

Just fucking insane. The fucking negligence killed a baby and a dog who had no say.

by Anonymousreply 82February 19, 2022 12:05 AM

Don’t just bring a ton of water, bring some Gatorade or Pedialyte too.

by Anonymousreply 83February 19, 2022 2:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!