Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Favorite Sidney Poitier performance

I wanted to celebrate this legend before he dies. I think my favorite performance of his is A Patch of Blue. The fact he wasn’t even nominated for that film yet Shelley Winters won an Oscar for her role leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

by Anonymousreply 49January 10, 2022 2:38 PM

I just saw “Paris blues” again, I love that film of course mainly for Paul Newman. It was interesting that they tried to get a relationship between Newman’a character and diahanne Carroll’s character but anyway I Digress. My other favourites are “no way out”, “in the heat of the night” and “blackboard jungle”

by Anonymousreply 1October 21, 2021 7:34 PM

He’s brilliant in Pressure Point. He’s another person who won an Oscar for the wrong film. I wasn’t a big fan of Lillies of the Field.

by Anonymousreply 2October 21, 2021 7:36 PM

R1 Sidney and Diahann had great chemistry so it worked out in the end. Too bad he apparently treated her like shit in real life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 21, 2021 7:39 PM

"Tp Sir, with Love" with Pat Routledge as a teacher, a slender teacher in 1967.

by Anonymousreply 4October 21, 2021 7:39 PM

Yes r3 they did. I still would have been more interested to see the interracial affair between Newman and Carroll. They both were quite breathtaking in this movie. Perhaps Poitier and Woodward could have had a romance too.

by Anonymousreply 5October 21, 2021 7:44 PM

R5 It’s kinda crazy Poitier and Woodward are still alive.

by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2021 7:45 PM

I also love “edge of the city” and “the defiant ones”. He sure did make a lot of great movies.

by Anonymousreply 7October 21, 2021 7:49 PM

[quote] He’s brilliant in Pressure Point.

This is one I haven’t seen and am going to check it out immediately. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 8October 21, 2021 7:50 PM

Absolutely it’s To Sir With Love.

by Anonymousreply 9October 21, 2021 7:55 PM

R7 He had great chemistry with John Cassavetes in Edge of the City. They should’ve been a couple in that film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 21, 2021 7:56 PM

"To Sir With Love"

"Paris Blues"

and, for the face-slapping felt around the world, "In The Heat Of The Night" (..."they calll meee Mr. Tibbs!").

by Anonymousreply 11October 21, 2021 7:57 PM

[quote] He’s another person who won an Oscar for the wrong film. I wasn’t a big fan of Lillies of the Field

So true. I barely remember that film now. But I remember all the others on this thread much better.

by Anonymousreply 12October 21, 2021 7:59 PM

R12 I think he only won for that film so the Academy could pat themselves on the back for rewarding a Black man in the Best Actor category. The fact they never nominated him again afterwards is sad but not surprising.

by Anonymousreply 13October 21, 2021 8:02 PM

Raisin In The Sun.

His VPL should have won the Oscar!

by Anonymousreply 14October 21, 2021 8:07 PM

I would choose PARIS BLUES and EDGE OF THE CITY as well. In the 60's he had a tendency to overact at times. He's OTT in A RAISIN IN THE SUN, as if he's giving a stage performance. The rest of the cast is so much better. I also watched THE SLENDER THREAD with him and Anne Bancroft, and he overplays that role too.

by Anonymousreply 15October 21, 2021 8:08 PM

R10 Poitier also had great chemistry with Tony Curtis in The Defiant Ones. Another film with gay undertones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 21, 2021 8:21 PM

I loved In the Heat of the Night. Lee Grant, Rod Steiger, and yes, the slap head round the world. And even though people say it is crap now and yes, it's out of date, I liked Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. The young girl was annoying, but I enjoyed Tracy and Hepburn, and the rest of the cast.

by Anonymousreply 17October 21, 2021 8:28 PM

Sidney's Walter Lee in Raisin in the Sun was exquisite. What a cast!!! He did a remake of an old James Mason movie that I really liked too, Odd Man Out from 1947, and Sidney in The Lost Man, 1969.

by Anonymousreply 18October 21, 2021 8:37 PM

To Sir, With Love. He’s also great in A Patch of Blue but Winters and Elizabeth Hartman have the showier roles.

by Anonymousreply 19October 21, 2021 9:09 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 20October 22, 2021 3:01 AM

R19 Hartman was heartbreaking in her role. The Oscars love awarding abusive mother’s so Shelley’s win isn’t surprising.

by Anonymousreply 21October 22, 2021 8:27 PM

OP, Mr. Poitier did win Best Actor two years before. Or maybe you should just get your mouth checked.

by Anonymousreply 22October 22, 2021 9:09 PM

R22 So what? Shelley Winters had already won an Oscar too before A Patch if Blue. She can win two Oscars but Sidney can’t?

by Anonymousreply 23October 23, 2021 1:26 AM

A Patch of Blue*

by Anonymousreply 24October 23, 2021 1:26 AM

Personally I found his acting rather overblown,but dont deny some of his movies were good.

by Anonymousreply 25October 23, 2021 2:01 AM

R21=Peggy Wood

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 23, 2021 2:26 AM

R26 Mo’Nique and Allison Janney in recent years.

by Anonymousreply 27October 24, 2021 10:10 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 28November 6, 2021 11:57 PM

Carmen Jones

by Anonymousreply 29November 7, 2021 12:14 AM

I assume his three 1967 hits all canceled each other, that's why he wasn't nominated for that year; he deserved nominations for either To Sir With Love or In the Heat of the Night.

by Anonymousreply 30November 7, 2021 12:23 AM

Let’s keep in mind that Shelley won two Supporting Actress Oscars—Though arguably that’s typically a more interesting category than Leading Actor.

by Anonymousreply 31November 7, 2021 12:27 AM

Every damned thing he ever did. Everything.

by Anonymousreply 32November 7, 2021 2:34 AM

Just watched his debut performance in No Way Out. Poitier should be held in the same esteem as Brando.

by Anonymousreply 33November 29, 2021 11:02 PM

Roots

by Anonymousreply 34November 29, 2021 11:07 PM

RIP Sidney. Your contributions to cinema and the world will never be forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 35January 8, 2022 6:17 AM

Richard Widmark was frightening in "No Way Out".

"Widmark was apparently very uncomfortable with some of the racist comments his character, Ray Biddle, made, especially given his friendship with Sidney Poitier. As a result, after some of the takes involving particularly venomous remarks, Widmark apologized to Poitier."

Forty years later, when the National Board of Review awarded Widmark its career achievement award in New York, Poitier was flown in to present it: Widmark said to his old friend, "Sid, I can't believe you came all the way to California to do this for me." Poitier replied, "For you I would have walked!".

--from IMDB

by Anonymousreply 36January 8, 2022 7:08 AM

Guess Who's Coming To Dinner....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 8, 2022 7:17 AM

Sorry, that should be Los Angeles, not New York.

by Anonymousreply 38January 8, 2022 8:01 AM

I just saw that he died on the same day as Peter bogdanovich who directed him in the sequel for “to sit with love”. Interesting coincidence.

by Anonymousreply 39January 8, 2022 8:52 AM

I loved him in the Nutty Professor movies and those Big Mamma films. Wasn’t he the monkey in those Curious George books too? Such a great actor despite being so darker skinned on screen.

by Anonymousreply 40January 8, 2022 9:19 AM

He and Tony Curtis were great in The Defiant Ones which was also a great movie, which could have gone completely wrong tonally, but didn't because Sidney and Tony were such great actors.

by Anonymousreply 41January 8, 2022 11:01 AM

[italic]In the Heat of the Night[/italic] is such a great movie. That's my favorite Poitier movie. I was happy to see him again as a supporting actor in [italic]Sneakers[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 42January 10, 2022 3:16 AM

Shelley didn't have much competition that year.

Never realized Poitier wasn't nominated. He wasn't nominated for any of his 1967 films and all three were great. Why? Too many? Cancelled each other out?

Is career seemed to slow down so much in the 70s which is odd since that's when movies started getting more adventurous. Why did he not get roles anymore?

by Anonymousreply 43January 10, 2022 3:40 AM

He started directing movies in the early 70s and had a run of comedy hits, but then "Hanky Panky", "Fast Forward", and and "Ghost Dad" killed his directing career.

by Anonymousreply 44January 10, 2022 3:43 AM

R43 I wouldn’t be surprised if his persona no longer fit the times. He was criticized for playing safe and noble Black male characters.

by Anonymousreply 45January 10, 2022 3:46 AM

R43 Sidney received more love from the BAFTA’s, surprisingly enough. They nominated six times and gave him one win, for Lilies of the Field.

by Anonymousreply 46January 10, 2022 3:47 AM

Raisin in the Sun. His Walter Lee was magnificent. And then several years ago I saw Denzel perform that role on Broadway in Kenny Leon's production.

by Anonymousreply 47January 10, 2022 2:11 PM

Heat of the Night was very entertaining and watching Rod Steiger with Sidney, as hammy as he was, is very enjoyable, but the movie is so full of stereotypes it doesn't stand up well over time. It is dated, and the naivete is embarrassing. And really as much as I loved Lee Grant, OMG what an over the top performance. Steiger was over the top too.

by Anonymousreply 48January 10, 2022 2:16 PM

[quote] Lee Grant, OMG what an over the top performance.

I don’t think it was so over the top. Her husband had just been murdered after all.

by Anonymousreply 49January 10, 2022 2:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!