Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I was a Republican

I'm not trying to be a troll or anything. I want to have a level headed discussion.

Yes, I am a gay man, Yes, I know the Republicans have not always been the best gay advocates. I care more about economic, international, and domestic policies.

However, the Republican Party over the last few years has done nothing but inflate the national deficit. The Tea Party has taken over the Republican Party and ruined it. Once they all got elected in 2016, they blew up the deficit and got involved in culture wars. They do not know what the hell they are doing! It is all about power!

The real Republicans, Condoleezza Rice, Robert Gates, James Baker, Carly Fiorina, Rob Portman, etc. have rightfully left the party. I am with right there with them.

In the wise words of Republican Rex Tillerson, "He's a fucking moron."

by Anonymousreply 112October 24, 2021 3:29 PM

Cool

by Anonymousreply 1October 21, 2021 6:06 PM

We told/warned you all.

by Anonymousreply 2October 21, 2021 6:07 PM

"I want to have a level headed discussion."

About what, specifically? How proud we are of you?

by Anonymousreply 3October 21, 2021 6:08 PM

[quote]The Tea Party has taken over the Republican Party and ruined it. Once they all got elected in 2016, they blew up the deficit and got involved in culture wars.

2016???

In 1992, Pat Buchanan was running for the GOP nomination and foaming at the mouth about culture wars. His exact words. A lot of Republicans were listening. Not you. You weren't paying attention.

by Anonymousreply 4October 21, 2021 6:08 PM

Thank you for saying it, R4. You could even go back to the late ‘70s and Anita Bryant to track the seeds of the culture wars that brought the religious right into the Republican fold and sealed Reagan’s ascension. OP, you don’t think the phrase “welfare queen” constitutes a culture war?

I love these Never Trunpers who long for the days when they were just planting the seeds of authoritarian takeover of our country. You were fine with Sarah Palin then, OP? Thought that was a good idea, did ya?

by Anonymousreply 5October 21, 2021 6:14 PM

[quote]Yes, I know the Republicans have not always been the best gay advocates.

This is a laughable understatement. Republicans have never been "gay advocates" and, in actual fact, have always been our worst enemies.

[quote]I care more about economic, international, and domestic policies.

So you're both greedy AND racist. Congratulations, you're a basic bitch.

by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2021 6:16 PM

Who the heck still cares about the deficit?

Only thing I care about is stopping the hordes of migrants taking over our country and ending the woke insanity.

I'd go out and campaign for single-payer healthcare if we could get a border wall in exchange.

by Anonymousreply 7October 21, 2021 6:16 PM

[quote]A lot of Republicans were listening. Not you. You weren't paying attention.

OP was too busy counting his money and calling the cops on "suspicious" black people who looked "out of place."

by Anonymousreply 8October 21, 2021 6:17 PM

"Haven't always been the best gay advocates"? Good of you to notice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 21, 2021 6:18 PM

OP, who did you vote for in 2016? You left that out, curiously.

by Anonymousreply 10October 21, 2021 6:18 PM

"Domestic policies" = black and brown people getting uppity and demanding fairness.

by Anonymousreply 11October 21, 2021 6:19 PM

OP is a Nazi who just discovered there were injustices against the Jewish race.

by Anonymousreply 12October 21, 2021 6:20 PM

"International policies" = invade brown people's countries and steal their resources.

by Anonymousreply 13October 21, 2021 6:20 PM

"Economic policies" = screwing the little guy over in the hopes you might join the billionaire's club yourself one day.

by Anonymousreply 14October 21, 2021 6:21 PM

[quote]They do not know what the hell they are doing! It is all about power!

They absolutely know what they're doing. They're protecting the ultra-rich and corporations. Everything else to them is secondary.

by Anonymousreply 15October 21, 2021 6:22 PM

R4 I was a H.W. fan since he cleaned up the party after Watergate (He was RNC).

R5 I did not like McCain and definitely not Palin. He should have picked Lieberman. Honestly. How fucking stupid of him not to after eight years of W. Anyone with half a brain could have told you Obama was going to win, even before he beat out Clinton and Edwards.

by Anonymousreply 16October 21, 2021 6:23 PM

Every Gay Republican I ever knew was a self-loathing closet case. You need to discover why you were ever a Republican in the first place. They don't want you and will do nothing for your benefit. They'll take your money and banish you from their kingdom

by Anonymousreply 17October 21, 2021 6:24 PM

R15 In today's world the ultra rich establishment and corporations are all liberal. We are in a political transition, the Republicans have lost their fucking minds.

by Anonymousreply 18October 21, 2021 6:24 PM

If you aren’t a troll, OP, your party sold its soul when Reagan hitched his star to Lee Atwater and his satanist hoard.

by Anonymousreply 19October 21, 2021 6:24 PM

R19 No, Reagan sold his soul when he got in bed with the Moral Majority.

by Anonymousreply 20October 21, 2021 6:25 PM

[quote]In today's world the ultra rich establishment and corporations are all liberal.

Well! That's the dumbest thing you've posted yet in this thread, OP.

by Anonymousreply 21October 21, 2021 6:25 PM

OP/R18, the Republicans are the ones who gave a tax cut to the rich and corporations. Democrats are the ones always trying to make sure they pay more.

by Anonymousreply 22October 21, 2021 6:27 PM

[quote][R15] In today's world the ultra rich establishment and corporations are all liberal.

Are you fucking insane? Do you know a single working class person?

by Anonymousreply 23October 21, 2021 6:27 PM

R21 Gavin Newsom is a liberal elite. His dad was an attorney for J. Paul Getty and then a federal judge. When Newsom ran for mayor of San Francisco, he raise $15 million, back in the early to mid-2000's. How is that not establishment?

by Anonymousreply 24October 21, 2021 6:28 PM

Look, I have left the Republican Party. You are acting like I am sucking Trumps dick.

by Anonymousreply 25October 21, 2021 6:28 PM

"Liberal" = to the left of Herbert Hoover.

by Anonymousreply 26October 21, 2021 6:28 PM

[quote]Look, I have left the Republican Party.

Only when it and the country hit rock bottom after decades of the policies and politicians that you supported. You get no passes here. You are scum, and your replies in this thread only prove that fact.

by Anonymousreply 27October 21, 2021 6:29 PM

R26 If it was not for The Great Depression, Hoover would have been one of the greatest presidents. It is super unfortunate what happened to hi,.

by Anonymousreply 28October 21, 2021 6:30 PM

So glad you're not trolling or anything!

by Anonymousreply 29October 21, 2021 6:31 PM

OP only likes "true" Republicans like Bush whos started an illegal war, and Cheney who waterboarded everybody in sight.

by Anonymousreply 30October 21, 2021 6:31 PM

Okay, you're just blocked now.

by Anonymousreply 31October 21, 2021 6:31 PM

R24 are you using an example of one person as proof of your point that most rich people and corporations are liberal?

That’s really fucking dumb.

by Anonymousreply 32October 21, 2021 6:32 PM

And Bannon is a DL'r.

C u next Tuesday, Nov 2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 21, 2021 6:33 PM

I was not a fan of W or Cheney.

The last Republicans I fully supported were Gerald Ford and George H.W. Bush.

by Anonymousreply 34October 21, 2021 6:34 PM

The other Republicans I like are Robert Gates, Colin Powell, James Baker, Rob Portman, and Jeanne Kirkpatrick

by Anonymousreply 35October 21, 2021 6:37 PM

[quote] The real Republicans, Condoleezza Rice, Robert Gates, James Baker, Carly Fiorina, Rob Portman, etc. have rightfully left the party. I am with right there with them. In the wise words of Republican Rex Tillerson, "He's a fucking moron."

They were fine with Trump for most of his administration because they got many of their wet dream--like s HUGE tax cut for the rich.

by Anonymousreply 36October 21, 2021 6:40 PM

OP- You sound sincere/rational to me. This is a worthy topic. You're not a unicorn. But you see there are no honest R's. We are used to their science denials about religion, that's a given but now they lie about everything and anything as necessary. Jason Miller = Abortionist =no problem, TRump rapes a 13yo, Wifebeater, Pedophile, Rapist , all 100percent ok in todays big white tent.

Yes, there are many rich, establishment liberals but they are not all and not the majority.

No current Republican can be intellectually honest on any important issue. They carve out a position and defend it with verbal ju jitsu and if pressed by facts they start screaming. That way they never lose an argument because it ends in a draw. Rinse, lather, repeat. They are trained to do this. They have no policy, no morals and no intellect.

When is the last time you saw David Frum on TV. He used to be a mainstay, intelligent, calm and rational. No, now Meghan fucking McCain is on MTP.

Today's Republican Party platform- WHAT TRUMP WANTS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 21, 2021 6:51 PM

[quote]The real Republicans, Condoleezza Rice, Robert Gates, James Baker, Carly Fiorina, Rob Portman, etc. have rightfully left the party. I am with right there with them.

None of these people supported gay rights.

by Anonymousreply 38October 21, 2021 6:53 PM

[quote] When is the last time you saw David Frum on TV. He used to be a mainstay, intelligent, calm and rational.

and so full of bull shit!

by Anonymousreply 39October 21, 2021 6:54 PM

R38, Trump didn't support gay rights either.

See video below where Trump says he's against gay marriage

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 21, 2021 6:55 PM

Polifact: Trump Wants to Undo Gay Marriage: TRUE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 21, 2021 6:57 PM

Better late than never, OP. In this existential war, there’s no time for recriminations. We need to now graciously accept all comers to the this righteous cause.

by Anonymousreply 42October 21, 2021 6:57 PM

Not sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 21, 2021 7:00 PM

Too little, too late. We don’t want you. You should have left with the ascendancy of Lee Atwater, at the very latest when your “sainted” 🤮 Ronald Reagan ignored AIDS. You are worse than Ken Mehlman, who at least finally repented for all the Marriage Amendments in the 2004 Presidential race. You’re a disgusting POS Quisling. Go away.

by Anonymousreply 44October 21, 2021 7:00 PM

R35, it’s telling that most of the Republicans you admire are dead.

Reasonable Republicans are literally going extinct.

by Anonymousreply 45October 21, 2021 7:01 PM

This was a good interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 21, 2021 7:01 PM

[quote]However, the Republican Party over the last few years has done nothing but inflate the national deficit.

They've always hated you.

This didn't come about in the past few years.

by Anonymousreply 47October 21, 2021 7:03 PM

The people you admire, OP, are much worse than Trump.

by Anonymousreply 48October 21, 2021 7:05 PM

OP why would you post such an admission here? You will not get a pat on the back for your conversion ---plus you will be called every nasty name in the book. Idiot. And how you could support HW Bush is beyond me---a war monger and member of the CIA . UGH!

by Anonymousreply 49October 21, 2021 7:13 PM

R48 How so?

Trump got into the party and started calling them RINO's.

His sheep follow along and hate them now.

by Anonymousreply 50October 21, 2021 7:13 PM

[quote] Yes, I am a gay man, Yes, I know the Republicans have not always been the best gay advocates. I care more about economic, international, and domestic policies.

And how were the Republicans with economic, international, and domestic policies....?

by Anonymousreply 51October 21, 2021 7:19 PM

[quote] I was a Republican

What are you now, libertarian?

by Anonymousreply 52October 21, 2021 9:33 PM

[quote]your party sold its soul when Reagan hitched his star to Lee Atwater and his satanist hoard.

You could argue it started in 1968 with Nixon and the Southern Strategy, when the Republican Party absorbed all the Dixiecrat fugitives from the Democratic Party as it began its long (and still very much in progress) evolution towards being the party of civil rights. Anyway, I can see you're smelling cookies, so help yourself! I made snickerdoodles and molasses crinkles.

by Anonymousreply 53October 21, 2021 9:47 PM

Republicans just need to get back to their core project of making rich people richer and destroying the planet. Then OP might return to the party.

by Anonymousreply 54October 21, 2021 9:57 PM

OP, when Reagan massively defunded education in favour of elevating religious extremism, that should have been a dead give away for you to leave the party.

by Anonymousreply 55October 21, 2021 10:37 PM

R55 I was not a Reagan Republican! I have said that like ten times already.

by Anonymousreply 56October 21, 2021 10:39 PM

NOW a warning, OP?

by Anonymousreply 57October 21, 2021 10:53 PM

R20, Reagan sold his soul decades before meeting the Moral Majority. How he sold out the members of the Screen Actors Guild when he was the union's president in the 1950's was shameful. But Reagan lacked the decency to feel shame.

by Anonymousreply 58October 21, 2021 11:06 PM

Lame excuse OP, you were a republican when Reagan was president and still after that.

by Anonymousreply 59October 21, 2021 11:47 PM

Let's stop eating our own, people. We have enough to do dealing with the opponents of democracy to be trying to exact a pound of flesh from our allies, however recent to the fold they may be.

by Anonymousreply 60October 21, 2021 11:51 PM

You're a bore, OP.

by Anonymousreply 61October 22, 2021 12:03 AM

Do you mean to say, "boor," R61?

by Anonymousreply 62October 22, 2021 12:15 AM

True R60, but it would be good if these "I was a republican" people could explain why they made inexplicably rotten decisions for decades.

by Anonymousreply 63October 22, 2021 12:25 AM

So you love and worship money and the people who have money. Got it. Great. You are a quality human being. Thank you for the gift that is you. Your only problem with Reagan was that he got in bed with the moral majority, because suddenly for a brief moment in time it was you who was on the chopping block and that was just crazy. Other than that, it has all been great for you and for the Republican Party. Well, okay then.

by Anonymousreply 64October 22, 2021 12:28 AM

I don't know, R63. If someone comes to my defense if I'm under physical attack, I'm not going to ask him for his voting record.

by Anonymousreply 65October 22, 2021 12:31 AM

It doesn’t matter if you left the Republican Party. You should have known better. You’re a piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 66October 22, 2021 12:31 AM

And no need to, r65, as there is even less need to join him or her in voting the same way. So what exactly are you talking about? Did Karl Rove save you from a gay bashing?

by Anonymousreply 67October 22, 2021 12:35 AM

[quote]Trump got into the party and started calling them RINO's.

It's almost like everyone was ready for somebody to just drop all pretense and tell Republicans, yes, YES, be the assholes you always wanted to be. Be the assholes you have been training to be for 40 years. Fuck all the winking and nudging and pretending. Let Your Asshole Flag Fly High and Proud!

by Anonymousreply 68October 22, 2021 12:38 AM

[qoute]The real Republicans, Condoleezza Rice...

OP: Oh yes, she is a real Repig. Did you see Condi on The View yesterday? She wants to "move on" from the insurrection. Oh yes, she said it was wrong and said those involved should be held accountable. Yeah, right. Because in the very next breath, she said she wanted to move on. So what the fuck is she really saying? Typical bullshit Repig.

by Anonymousreply 69October 22, 2021 12:43 AM

So many responses here are the reasons, why, for better or worse, we’re doomed against MAGA world. If you’re on their side today, that’s all that matters to them. They’re not interested in recriminations against those who may have voted for Democrats in the past. They know how to fight a war.

by Anonymousreply 70October 22, 2021 12:46 AM

That is a mass of nonsense r70. Most of MAGA is entirely about their hates and their idiotic resentments. But are you trying to say that as an ex-Republican, if that is what you are saying because you are being pretty damn vague about it, but do you feel as an ex-Republican you are suffering great recriminations? What exactly? What is somebody doing to you? Please show your work.

by Anonymousreply 71October 22, 2021 12:49 AM

R71, I’m not OP. I’m just someone who doesn’t think this kind of in-fighting serves our cause well. Maybe you do.

by Anonymousreply 72October 22, 2021 12:56 AM

Infighting is inevitable, and clarifying, and actually entirely okay up to a point. Yes, at some point, like November of 2022, everyone should come together and resolve never to vote for any Republican ever, but before that, we can all work out our differences and argue our philosophies right here on the intertubes.

by Anonymousreply 73October 22, 2021 1:04 AM

The "trying not to troll" OP cites some corrupt and deranged people among her list of GOP lovelies.

The party needs to be dissolved as being complicit in an ongoing attempt to undermine the Constitution and stage a treasonous (used advisedly) and seditious coup against the United States of America.

Unless people see it that way, this unprecedented coup, consistent with a pernicious strand of American political forces existing since before the Revolution), will do even more damage.

by Anonymousreply 74October 22, 2021 1:04 AM

In general, I used to favor the policies of Republicans on fiscal and foreign policy matters. Until Bush 43, who took deficit spending to unprecedented heights. But I have *always* voted for Democrats running for federal offices because of social policies. I hate paying high taxes as much as anybody else, and as a resident of Los Angeles, I pay a ton in taxes. But for me, progressive social policies will always trump personal wealth. It's the price we pay to live in a "first-world" society. On balance, our taxes are far below other "first-world" countries and it shows.

OP, I understand why you might consider voting Republican and, apparently, have until recently. It shows that you value your personal well being more than that of society as a whole. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 75October 22, 2021 1:23 AM

[quote] Do you mean to say, "boor," [R61]?

NO

by Anonymousreply 76October 22, 2021 1:39 AM

Gay republicans have issues I just don’t have the time to deal with. It’s bad enough with neo liberals.

by Anonymousreply 77October 22, 2021 1:51 AM

you don't deserve rights OP for ever being republican

by Anonymousreply 78October 22, 2021 1:53 AM

OP, and others similarly situated, I hereby welcome you to our big-tent (hopefully majority) party.

by Anonymousreply 79October 22, 2021 2:15 AM

I wonder what OP's take is on all the hostility towards him? Can he understand why we LOATHE republicans, and especially gay republicans?

by Anonymousreply 80October 22, 2021 5:42 AM

R80 “we” who? The royal we?

by Anonymousreply 81October 22, 2021 5:43 AM

Human Beings, R81. I doubt you’re really not that obtuse, R81, and this your attempt at humor. If not, you’re no different than OP, and should just spend more time at your local library, and les time on Faux News, OAN, and Newsmax.

by Anonymousreply 82October 22, 2021 5:58 AM

*less, not “les.”

by Anonymousreply 83October 22, 2021 6:00 AM

Trump's rise to the presidency didn't happen in a vacuum. The extreme political partisanship and brinkmanship to win at all costs regardless of the issues is a Republican motif since the 1990s. They would conduct scorched earth politics regardless of norms and precedent and how it would effect the country in order to retain and/or gain power. The fact that the bar was lowered so much that unqualified individuals such as Sarah Palin were considered acceptable candidates for the executive branch. Equally important was that the Republican Party accepted the extreme (and racist) tea party, which is basically just a more current and better funded version of the John Birch Society, into their fold. In the 1960s the Republicans knew that the John Birch Society would only poison the party and the country, so they banished them and their party. Trump was someone who found a party ripe for manipulating and fed off it and it's voters. The Republican Party basically vomited up Trump.

by Anonymousreply 84October 22, 2021 10:39 AM

I think many here would be more sympathetic to a reformed murderer than to a reformed Republican.

by Anonymousreply 85October 22, 2021 11:34 AM

Lots of guys on DL are just haters. They hate the woke left and moderate Republicans. They just hate. It's also like their views are all from no date later than Clinton's first term.

by Anonymousreply 86October 22, 2021 11:40 AM

Of course, R85. Most murderers bag only one person. Rarely more.

How many people have been killed by Republican policies? Just start with the war in Afghanistan and build from there.

by Anonymousreply 87October 22, 2021 12:13 PM

Republican is just a label, OP that doesn't tell us how you will be voting in the future. Do you see yourself continuing to vote for a majority of Republican in future elections? or have you gone anti Republican and will vote for non of them. What will be your level of support for Republican candidates?

by Anonymousreply 88October 22, 2021 12:15 PM

How is gay rights not about domestic policy, which you claim to care about? You also said that you care about international issues - so do you think the Republican policy of trying to conquer the Middle East has been a success or did it actually made things worse as well as cost the American tax payer trillions?

As for economic policy, if you're rich, okay, you got it there. But the average small business owner still pays a lot more tax than people who inherited money like Trump or corporations like Amazon/FB.

by Anonymousreply 89October 22, 2021 12:26 PM

R24, who the fuck cares? What are his policies? How is he implementing them? I hate the personality politics.

by Anonymousreply 90October 22, 2021 12:41 PM

[quote]In the wise words of Republican

I tried OP. I really tried. But you lost me there.

by Anonymousreply 91October 22, 2021 12:46 PM

[quote] How many people have been killed by Republican policies?

And I bet you voted for Kerry, Hillary & Biden, each of whom was complicit for the Iraq invasion.

[quote] Just start with the war in Afghanistan and build from there.

Right, the war Obama running for president in '08 said was the "good" one.

by Anonymousreply 92October 22, 2021 1:51 PM

John Kerry wanted us out of Iraq. I loved John Kerry. The US messed up by electing Bush for a second time.

by Anonymousreply 93October 22, 2021 1:53 PM

of course they did

by Anonymousreply 94October 22, 2021 2:05 PM

R93, like Hillary & Biden, Kerry voted to grant Bush the authority to unilaterally attack Iraq.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95October 22, 2021 2:09 PM

Newt Gingrich becoming Speaker of the House is 100% responsible for the modern day "Republicans."

by Anonymousreply 96October 22, 2021 2:14 PM

That would be convenient for you, R96. If only it were true.

Start with Barry Goldwater and the John Birch Society. Go all the way back to Brown v. Board of Education. They all have a role to play in the direction the Republican Party took and has only refined over the years.

But it really goes back to the moment when President Eisenhower placed the Arkansas National Guard under federal control to enforce the integration of the Arkansas schools when Governor Orville Faubus would not. That's really when the GOP made its deal with the devil of overt racism and States' Rights.

by Anonymousreply 97October 22, 2021 2:23 PM

I still like him R95.

by Anonymousreply 98October 22, 2021 2:30 PM

I do wish Hillary and Biden had been braver, but the war with Iraq happened 100% because Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld wanted it to happen. Whatever the real reason for it will only ever be known by them I fear. Oil was certainly part of it, but there are just so much easier ways to get oil and I'm sure a desperate Hussein would have made whatever deal would avert that invasion.

You can fault the Dems for not being braver when it really counted, but the war itself was 100% a Republican political operation, the manipulated intelligence, the brow beating, the lying, the fear mongering. All of it a Republican production and everyone involved should have been hounded out of public life forever.

by Anonymousreply 99October 22, 2021 6:22 PM

Yes, let's stop pretending the Dems were the main instigators of the Iraq war. Bush, Cheney, Conde, etc all made it happen. The Dems' support was the frosting on the cake.

The GOP lied about Weapons of Mass Destruction and the imminent threat of Iraq. Those lies were fed systematically to the media. Heck, even I was convinced we should go to war.

The GOP always is able to twist their hated stances on to Dems--from DADT, DOMA, to the Iraq War. Soon they will turn their opposition to Climate Change legislation on the Dems : "Obama and Biden didn't do anything to stop climate change!"

by Anonymousreply 100October 22, 2021 7:30 PM

R75 hasn't spent much time looking at GOP "fiscal and foreign policy matters," since there hasn't been a cogent Republican fiscal policy integrated with social equity spending nor a foreign policy that was not authoritarian, dishonest, antithetical to American values and cracked.

Reagan? Fuck that. He broke us for short-term gains and then drove us worse with his militarism, and the party would still blow his dead corpse if they could get to it, including Trump. Nixon? Revisit that tornado of silk and nitro. Eisenhower?

That's a little too far back, don't you think? Or are you going to cite Lincoln and Teddy as Republicans with Republican Congresses united with them.

And the GOP establishment during and between those administrations were split between the lunatics in charge of the party now and a larger share of "give a little to the others while I get more of my own" "moderate" Republicans of the last 70+ years.

by Anonymousreply 101October 22, 2021 7:30 PM

The GOP has only one purpose: Make the rich even richer.

Once you understand that, you'll realize every single policy: tax, war, healthcare, etc. is made this that in mind.

by Anonymousreply 102October 22, 2021 7:33 PM

R99 I think the real reasons for the war were twofold: one that the war economy is huge for the US. War makes capitalists a lot of money - producing and selling weapons, military equipment, planes, ships, tanks, and so on. The largest defense contractors are mostly American - Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Raytheon, etc. Secondly it was a power move after 9/11. Bush framed things as 'good and evil' but it was really about swinging their dick and showing that they could do it. Annie Leibovitz's portrait of the smugness represents that for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103October 23, 2021 12:51 PM

And, R103, don’t lose sight of the fact that, after 9/11, when our enemy wasn’t a definable nation-state, the American public overwhelmingly was in favor of it.

by Anonymousreply 104October 23, 2021 1:08 PM

R104 Yeah, emotions were on a high after 9/11 and people wanted 'revenge'; were also misled by the leaders that it would be an 'easy win'. I still find it telling a fact that most of the terrorist plane hijackers were from Saudi Arabia yet Iraq was attacked while Saudi Arabia, the world's biggest sponsor of terrorism, still has not been..

by Anonymousreply 105October 23, 2021 1:15 PM

I am Saddam Hussein's Supergun.

Which was never built.

by Anonymousreply 106October 23, 2021 1:18 PM

I remember the Saudis wanted to get into weapons manufacturing, probably to invest in a new economic leg after fossils are done with the sustainable energy movement.

And it dawned on me that it's probably a good idea that the US has a say in who gets weapons and who doesn't. Yes it's a dirty and immoral industry, but in the hands of some Muslim dictatorship, or Russia or China it would be the end of the world as we know it.

by Anonymousreply 107October 23, 2021 1:57 PM

R107 so why didn't they bomb and attack Saudi Arabia to bring down that regime then? Reminder: not a single 9/11 terrorist was Iraqi, Afghan, or Iranian.. Osama bin Laden was also born in Saudi Arabia and a citizen of SA until 1994.

by Anonymousreply 108October 23, 2021 2:02 PM

Because the Middle East is a good client for weapon sales. They've been fighting for centuries over who has the right interpretation of Muhammad's words.

by Anonymousreply 109October 23, 2021 2:14 PM

R109 That doesn't make sense. I just checked and you said in R107 that Saudi Arabia was looking into manufacturing weapons and that the US would rather have a say in who gets weapons or not. So as a direct competitor, the Americans would have logically wanted to nix them. Especially if 15 out of the 19 9/11 plane hijackers were Saudi Arabians...

But I think it was really about $$$. The Saudis, mega-rich from oil money, still pay out plenty of money to US defense contractor companies like Lockheed Martin (of whom Dick Cheney was on the board of directors). Of course, Iraq, Afghanistan and co weren't doing that.. so they were the easy targets.

by Anonymousreply 110October 23, 2021 2:29 PM

Weapons sales to the Saudis are in the hundreds of billions.

by Anonymousreply 111October 23, 2021 9:21 PM

[quote]Weapons sales to the Saudis are in the hundreds of billions.

Paid for with the hard-earned money from the pockets of working US citizens who were over charged for the fucking Saudi oil.

by Anonymousreply 112October 24, 2021 3:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!