Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Everyone I have met from North Dakota or South Dakota

Is a little “off.” Like a combination of aloof and slow. Have you had similar experiences?

by Anonymousreply 41October 22, 2021 3:38 AM

Like you say hello how are you and they look at you like you just tazed them

by Anonymousreply 1October 21, 2021 5:46 PM

OP's mama and papa are brother and sister. Like she'd know what "slow" is.

by Anonymousreply 2October 21, 2021 5:50 PM

They're two different places?

by Anonymousreply 3October 21, 2021 5:51 PM

Did they have a civil war too? Is that how they got like that?

by Anonymousreply 4October 21, 2021 5:52 PM

"Like you say hello how are you and they look at you like you just tazed them"

Like, you seem a little "off, also

by Anonymousreply 5October 21, 2021 5:52 PM

"Everyone I have met from North Dakota or South Dakota

Is a little “off.”

You mean like Governor wackadoodle, Kristi Noem?

by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2021 5:53 PM

Mary Hart is a freak of nature -- I agree.

by Anonymousreply 7October 21, 2021 6:01 PM

Aren't they all related?

by Anonymousreply 8October 21, 2021 6:03 PM

R6 yes exactly. Did the ultra conservative politics cause the “slow” vibe or did the “slow” vibe cause the conservative politics?

by Anonymousreply 9October 21, 2021 6:07 PM

R9 Splitting hairs. Everyone on the planet knows Americunts are the stupidest people EVER, in all of history.

by Anonymousreply 10October 21, 2021 6:08 PM

R6 Wait is it one state or two?

by Anonymousreply 11October 21, 2021 8:16 PM

I know a couple who moved from my neighborhood in Frederick, Maryland to South Dakota. They were weird and socially awkward. The wife was smelly and obese and the husband was old and wimpy.

by Anonymousreply 12October 21, 2021 8:23 PM

I attended college in ND, because they have a great aviation program. It was hell on earth, especially for a gay person accustomed to living in an urban setting. So many backwards, fat homophobes (with a few ‘dumb as a box of rocks’ but hot farm boys). They talk AND move slow, and would always ask me to slow down when speaking (I’m from Seattle and don’t talk fast). It got down to -40F NOT INCLUDING windchill in the winter when I lived there. The summers are hot and humid. The landscape is flat and ugly. The entire state should be declared uninhabitable.

by Anonymousreply 13October 21, 2021 8:35 PM

Never been to SD. Went to Bismarck on vacation once (from Seattle). Don't recall folks being that different.

by Anonymousreply 14October 21, 2021 8:40 PM

There are some hot bohunks from the Dakotas. Strapping boys.

by Anonymousreply 15October 21, 2021 8:46 PM

A lot of qtard type anti-government militia types.

by Anonymousreply 16October 21, 2021 8:49 PM

Candace Hilligoss, from Huron, South Dakota, went to NYC and became a showgirl. Then ,this happened:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 21, 2021 8:54 PM

OP Iowa is similar. Some really strange ones. You don’t say that of course. They don’t take direct criticism well, so it has to be a backhanded compliment or as a joke that they don’t comprehend until after you walk away.

by Anonymousreply 18October 21, 2021 8:59 PM

I was trying to think if I’d ever met anyone from either Dakota and had to go way back in my memory bank to the mid-90s when there was a young lobbyist type woman from Bismarck at the DC law firm where I worked. All I remember was she talked about chocolate covered potato chips like it was a regional delicacy back home. She promised to bring some back for us but she never did.

by Anonymousreply 19October 21, 2021 9:03 PM

Anywhere that's not NYC is filled with inferior people.

by Anonymousreply 20October 21, 2021 9:13 PM

Anywhere that's not Manhattan is filled with inferior people.

by Anonymousreply 21October 21, 2021 9:16 PM

Actor Josh Duhamel, singer Peggy Lee, actor Kellan Lutz, actress Angie Dickinson are all from North Dakota, however I am not sure whether that makes or disputes the OP's claim.

by Anonymousreply 22October 21, 2021 9:21 PM

There are Swedes up there, aren’t they supposed to be dumb?

by Anonymousreply 23October 21, 2021 9:24 PM

So Swedes talk like they’re wading thru molasses?

by Anonymousreply 24October 21, 2021 9:28 PM

I meant to say Do*

by Anonymousreply 25October 21, 2021 9:28 PM

R19, I love it! Chocolate-covered potato chips, heh.

by Anonymousreply 26October 21, 2021 9:29 PM

I do recall being served chowder in Bismarck with chicken instead of seafood, good though disconcerting!

by Anonymousreply 27October 21, 2021 9:38 PM

"Anywhere that's not Manhattan is filled with inferior people."

Manhattan = NYC. Everyone knows that. Whenever people say " New York," they mean Manhattan. Period.

by Anonymousreply 28October 21, 2021 9:40 PM

I live in Manhattan and I would never say the obnoxious shit being said by R20/R21/R28. Smells like trolls.

Interesting stuff about North Dakota. I’ve never been but I’ve always been curious.

by Anonymousreply 29October 21, 2021 9:50 PM

Yeah, people in Sioux Falls think they are the SHIT. A little town full of racists and MAGAts.

by Anonymousreply 30October 21, 2021 9:52 PM

Maybe they speak slow because they mostly all live fairly isolated lives. They're not used to talking. Compared to most of America they have very little human contact. If you ask me the people in Manhattan may talk fast but they're the ones who seem "slow."

by Anonymousreply 31October 21, 2021 10:21 PM

Except NYC is more than just Manhattan. The denizens of that BOROUGH just don't want to admit it.

by Anonymousreply 32October 21, 2021 10:34 PM

Like any backwater: the quick-thinking, fast-talking, creative, curious, ambitious people all leave to pursue their dreams.

by Anonymousreply 33October 21, 2021 10:42 PM

During college I had a sort of summer internship - we got paid but partly "paid" for our costs, etc. by three weeks doing various painting, cleaning, etc at a writing retreat, and a dozen of us stayed there.

My roommate one summer was from North Dakota. Handsomeish, though he sort of looked vaguely like a young Billy Corgan. He was quiet but among the oddities once we were in our room: he had a habit of addressing all inanimate objects in the room (hello, lightswitch) and would keep little pieces of fuzz next to his bed and talk to it when he thought I was sleeping.

I was done with him by day four and not even him pulling out quite a sizeable penis every few days to jack off could interest me in any sort of engagement with him.

"Acting as if they'd been tased just because someone spoke to them" is a PERFECT description.

by Anonymousreply 34October 21, 2021 10:53 PM

Thank you, R34! I am glad I am not the only one who gets the tazed vibe

by Anonymousreply 35October 21, 2021 11:26 PM

R28. Are you Dorothy Kilgallen posting from the great beyond? She said the same damn thing all the time when questioning contestants from the outer boroughs way back in 1962.

by Anonymousreply 36October 22, 2021 12:07 AM

I moved to Bismarck a little over 25 years ago and lived there for about two and a half years, until August 1998. I was recently out of college and was able to get a job in my field there. I was closeted AND repressed which was convenient because there were no sign of open gay life beyond the small Gay/Lesbian section in the recently opened Barnes & Noble. I managed to connect with a group of people my age through work so I did have a social life which made it only bearable. But it was dull, white bread and conservative and my sense is Bismarck like many small red style cities has gotten super Trumpy the last few years. I wouldn’t mind visiting as it’s been 2 decades since I’ve even passed through but I don’t think you could pay me enough to move back.

by Anonymousreply 37October 22, 2021 12:51 AM

They’re thawing out, OP.

by Anonymousreply 38October 22, 2021 1:21 AM

Inbreeding, chicken wings, and tap water.

by Anonymousreply 39October 22, 2021 1:28 AM

The best Italian restaurant I have ever been to was in Sioux Falls, SD. The waiter was a specimen of Italian beauty. It all threw me for a loop. Italians in South Dakota?

by Anonymousreply 40October 22, 2021 2:05 AM

I have relatives in SD most around Sioux Falls. My Grandfather settled there after moving to the US and my father was born there though moved out when he was in his late teens. I've visited there and have found the people friendly and mostly intelligent. I don't know the politics of most of them but for those that I do it's more liberal than conservative.

by Anonymousreply 41October 22, 2021 3:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!